PDA

View Full Version : Budget Buster: Dental work

penn19
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I am looking for some advice, no flames please if possible.....Just got back from the Dentist for a second opinion on my ds teeth. He just had braces off, and his teeth had always been a little jacked up. White spots etc...Anyway, the braces being on, and him being a teenage boy, didn't help with his decay. So now he has extensive decay on his front teeth. Basically 8 teeth involved.
The one dentist wants to do composites. Basically take care of the decay, and fill in the holes. So he would have fillings, tooth colored on his front teeth. The second opinion today was, they would take care of the decay, do the fillings and then cover the 8 teeth with veneers. So about $1,200 a tooth! Of which of course, insurance does not cover. Not saying that money is not an issue, it would be tough, but we could/would do it.
I don't want him to go life with a jacked up smile, and that is one of the first things people notice about you. I just wanted to know if anyone else has ever gone through this, and if so are there other options, or are composites "good enough"? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Judy40
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I would just do the composites. Most likely your DS won't pick up more on his dental hygiene till he's much older and realizes that he needs to take care of them. Veneers do take some maintence! not much but, people who tend to get them, value them and take care of their teeth. Nothing is saying in the future that you can't do the veneers. Composites look good if done right. They are color matched to the surrounding teeth. Have they suggested a flouride rinse or toothpaste. There is also a great product called MI paste-it helps reminerlize the teeth. Of course if there is large decay it won't help. It will help future problems. Kids tend to drink a lot of soda or sport drinks and the MI paste works great! I have many adult pt's who don't value their teeth, and teenage boys are usually the worst! Good luck:goodvibes

penn19
04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Thats what I am afraid of. That he still won't "get it". And if we spend all that money on veneers and then he doesn't take care of them. Ahh! The dentist didn't mention that the veneers would require a lot of care.....
I will google the MI Paste to see exactly what is involved. I know on a few of his teeth, I think the decay is bad.
What I was told was that while the composites can be tooth colored, that after time, they will get pitted, and chipped and will look bad.

ceecee
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Veneers are like press on nails. They don't require maintence that regular teeth don't. However depending on his age, it may be best to do composites until he's older. Composite fillings will stain with coffee, tea and cigarettes.

dd50
04-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Thats what I am afraid of. That he still won't "get it". And if we spend all that money on veneers and then he doesn't take care of them. Ahh! The dentist didn't mention that the veneers would require a lot of care.....
I will google the MI Paste to see exactly what is involved. I know on a few of his teeth, I think the decay is bad.
What I was told was that while the composites can be tooth colored, that after time, they will get pitted, and chipped and will look bad.

If the composite is done correctly you can't tell the difference. I had it done years ago and got it changed about 15 years later.

penn19
04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
If the composite is done correctly you can't tell the difference. I had it done years ago and got it changed about 15 years later.

So they lasted for 15 years? And then did you switch to veneers, or get more composites?

sweetpeakaris
04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
I am having a similar issue with my 11 yr old son. I would do the composites and let him pay for veneers if he wants them when he is older. Goodluck!

bumbershoot
04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Good gravy I wouldn't even think for a moment about veneers! Just get the decay fixed and be done with it.

FWIW, white spots don't necessarily mean anything. And they can actually be *caused* by fluoride. I know those aren't the issue any longer, but just for future reference for anyone else...

The second dentist we took DS to wanted to fill every single spot (which was from genetics at that point, coming down the line from hubby's father's family). He was crazy and we left giggling over the "care" he wanted to provide (it went so far beyond the spots).

The third dentist we finally found was sane, and he's now been watching the spots. For over 3 years now. They haven't changed.

White spots aren't always bad.

penn19
04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I have been trying to google info on composites. Now I am confused. It sounds like you can do a bonding technique on the front teeth, where the dentist sort of molds a compound over the fixed decay, so your teeth look natural. Only lasts for about 5 or 6 years or so, but I can't tell if this is the same as regular composite filling that my dentist was talking about doing.

penn19
04-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Good gravy I wouldn't even think for a moment about veneers! Just get the decay fixed and be done with it.

FWIW, white spots don't necessarily mean anything. And they can actually be *caused* by fluoride. I know those aren't the issue any longer, but just for future reference for anyone else...

The second dentist we took DS to wanted to fill every single spot (which was from genetics at that point, coming down the line from hubby's father's family). He was crazy and we left giggling over the "care" he wanted to provide (it went so far beyond the spots).

The third dentist we finally found was sane, and he's now been watching the spots. For over 3 years now. They haven't changed.

White spots aren't always bad.

The white spots that my ds has, he has always had. Just one of those things that happen I guess, but they do bother him a bit. We knew when the braces came off that we would probably have to address those, and knew that regular whitening wouldn't help.
My concern is that I don't want him walking around with bad looking teeth if I can help it!

wdwdclfan
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I would just do the composites.
I broke a tooth when I was about 8ish and had a composite done. I then had it "cleaned up" when I got married at 26 and just last year at 40 something I had it "cleaned up" again. It never fell off or chipped just discolored a bit.....
I have NO intentions of doing Veneers!

Tink415
04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I needed fillings after braces 35 years ago as there were marks left from the bands and decay on some teeth. I have composite / bonding on 6 teeth. The fillings have been re-done several times. I've been happy enough with the fillings but they don't look perfect. Technique makes a big difference in how natural the fillings look. One dentist got noticeably better in the 20 years I went to him :)

v.t.
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I had two composites done in between my top two teeth. It has been over 10 years and there have been no problems. I know it is expensive, but I would highly recommend a sonicare toothbrush. I had one child go from 8 cavities in one check up to 1 in the two years since and I believe that toothbrush made all the difference.
Good luck!

penn19
04-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I had two composites done in between my top two teeth. It has been over 10 years and there have been no problems. I know it is expensive, but I would highly recommend a sonicare toothbrush. I had one child go from 8 cavities in one check up to 1 in the two years since and I believe that toothbrush made all the difference.
Good luck!

I bought the Sonicare for him back in December. I love mine, and had gone from needing fillings, gum issues etc...to having great checkups! I love mine. I think though, that while it might help going forward, I didn't get it quick enough for him to prevent any decay.