PDA

View Full Version : Coinstar?

LWatson
04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Okay, so we have about $25 in coins just sitting in our kids' "bank". We were thinking of taking it to coinstar because most of the coins are pennies and I dont want to sit here and fill up tons of penny rolls (which i have to buy) along w/ the other coins. Do you all think coinstar is worth the charge to do? B4 we go I think we are going to start collecting random change we find around the house and putting it all together to try to make more so we dont waste another trip out. If we do it we will probably do it the day we do our snack shopping for our trip.

Angellovely
04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
If you choose to get a gift card they don't charge you the fee (or at least they didn't about 8 months ago in MA) we did that and UNDERESTAMATED the amount of change we had and ended up with over $300 on an Amazon gift card :rotfl:

BrandyC1974
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
If you have a bank account, check with your bank. Mine has a counting machine; and as long as you have an account it is free to use. A bank will charge you, though, if you do not have an account with them.

mom2brina
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
I never understood why people use the Coinstar machines when they charge you a fee. Call a bank branch and see if they have a coin machine. You don't have to put them in coin rolls, just make sure there are no Chuckie Cheese tokens or hairpins in there. When I worked at a bank we did this all the time for customers!! (even if they didn't have an account with us!)

pamjb
04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
When my kids were small, we made a night out of rolling change. They learned to count by piling pennies into piles of 10. I would go to my bank and they would give me the empty wrappers. I can still get empty wrappers from the bank and we still make it a family night, although usually it just ends up as DH and I. Teenagers :headache:

Ava
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
My bank (TD Bank) has a free coin counting machine, I don't even think you need an account to use it. Would be worth checking if your bank or another in your area has a machine before you pay the Coinstar fee.

DVCBELLE
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
My bank has the machine right in the lobby - I am not sure if you need an account or not.

pamjb
04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
TD Bank does offer free coin counting for anyone, you don't have to hold an account at the bank. But the OP lives in TN and I don't think they have branches in Tennesee

NeverlandClub23
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I used to work at a bank and while we didn't have a coin counting machine (although many of them swore we did for teller use just not customer use :confused3) we gladly gave customers free coin wraps. I wrap my coins (what little I have as I hardly ever use cash) while I watch TV about once or twice a year.

Belle1962
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Ditto--my credit union will run them through the machine for free, deposit the money into my account and then i withdraw it either right away or via using it for purchases.

ceecee
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
When my kids were small, we made a night out of rolling change. They learned to count by piling pennies into piles of 10. I would go to my bank and they would give me the empty wrappers. I can still get empty wrappers from the bank and we still make it a family night, although usually it just ends up as DH and I. Teenagers :headache:

We think it's fun too! Guess how much you have first. Coinstar charges for it and most credit unions and some banks have them and it's free.

QVCshopper
04-13-2010, 01:38 PM
My two kids have accounts at TD America. When we opened the account, they matched our initial $25 investment. Then, they have a summer reading program that gives each child $10 into their account. Then, I take all money I find and it goes into the kids piggy banks. When we get up to about $10, we take the money to the bank to count in their machines. The kids each have about $90 now and we just started about 2 years ago. So, this is a great activity for your kids to learn about saving, but I sure do appreciate the coin machine as I find a lot of change! $6 just last month.

tumblelina
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
We have used it and the gift card option is great.

bumbershoot
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
There are no coin counting machines at banks around here, and most of the banks I've found tend to charge a percentage if you are turning in lots of rolled coins (they are charged by the money moving trucks by the pound, and of course excess coins cost a lot, so they pass it along). Ugh.

If you're in the market for, especially, an amazon.com gift certificate (perhaps you might have some trip-related purchases to make from there, or non trip purchases, and you can pay your kids cash for the amazon GC), you can use the coinstar machines and get a fee-free amazon GC.

Do NOT get the Disney certificate, as it's an electronic giftcertificate which canNOT be used to buy a proper Disney GiftCard. So unless they want to buy some stuff from the Disney Store using that certificate, don't be tempted by that choice.

I pick up free coin rolls at my bank...shouldn't have to pay for them.

andrews_dad
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Commerce Bank. A chain that is amazing. Free coin counting, customer kind hours including drive-through open with tellers on Sat and Sunday ... open late. GREAT!

LWatson
04-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I'll have to see if BOA has one here or not. I just guessed nobody did anymore because I've only seen one bank that did and they weren't too happy w/ me ($300 between singles and coins...I got a lot of tips at a coffee shop).

mamaLori05
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I've always taken my change (just in a big ice cream bucket) to the bank and they've always exchanged it for cash for me for free. I've never had to pay a fee at the bank to do that, and I've never had to roll the change either. I've been to 4 different bank's and they all do the same thing.

edited to say all 4 were local banks

mollybug2
04-13-2010, 06:46 PM
My bank has a machine and does it free of charge, too. I am always embarassed hauling my noisy bag of coins in, but money is money!

VanessainWonderland
04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
COINSTAR steals your money.

I put in one coin at a time because I noticed it was not adding up right and it was counting them at a lesser value...(penny for a dime, etc)

I was furious and I showed the store mamanger, and they gave me my money back. I really think they rip people off. Never again!

kydisneyfans
04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
COINSTAR steals your money.

I put in one coin at a time because I noticed it was not adding up right and it was counting them at a lesser value...(penny for a dime, etc)

I was furious and I showed the store mamanger, and they gave me my money back. I really think they rip people off. Never again!

I have heard the same thing. It seems weird to me that someone would pay 9% of their money to keep it. I have never had a bank charge for coin wrappers either.

pezheadmeg
04-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I do the coinstar thing when I fill up the piggy bank. Usually it's about twice a year. And for the $40, I'd rather treat myself. I live cash only--the dimes and quarters here and there add up.

Usually it's an Amazon certificate--no matter what I can always manage to spend that. The last time it was an I-tunes code. And of course I had no trouble spending that one either. :lmao:

Mom2Ben02
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I'll have to see if BOA has one here or not. I just guessed nobody did anymore because I've only seen one bank that did and they weren't too happy w/ me ($300 between singles and coins...I got a lot of tips at a coffee shop).
I work for BOA - we don't have counters, but if you have an account we bag it, send it to be counted and deposit it to your account in a week or so. Easy peasy.

We used to have counters in the branches. People are DISGUSTING. The machines would break down all the time from the crud that would be mixed in with the coin. Gum, button batteries, nail clippings, food...NASTY. The worst was a dentist that used to bring in his coin. It made me shudder to think he put his hands in people's mouths. :scared1:

bumbershoot
04-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I have heard the same thing. It seems weird to me that someone would pay 9% of their money to keep it. I have never had a bank charge for coin wrappers either.

Once again, you can get gift certificates with NO FEE.

Also, at least out here in WA, many banks will charge 10% for any significant amount of coins (b/c they are being charged by their money hauling companies), so if that's your only other choice (beyond bringing it in little bits at a time), Coinstar is actually a *better* bargain.

LWatson
04-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I work for BOA - we don't have counters, but if you have an account we bag it, send it to be counted and deposit it to your account in a week or so. Easy peasy.

We used to have counters in the branches. People are DISGUSTING. The machines would break down all the time from the crud that would be mixed in with the coin. Gum, button batteries, nail clippings, food...NASTY. The worst was a dentist that used to bring in his coin. It made me shudder to think he put his hands in people's mouths. :scared1:

Thank you for the Info. I'm NOT even really stressed out about the silver change, just the pennies. I guess I could just roll them and switch them over to to bills/silver coins. I guess I can look at it this way...I have plenty of coins for toll rolls (we will of course give the kids back the money in cash)....:laughing:

seashoreCM
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Can't coins be spent several at a time?

Instead of have to get back more and more as change?

Not all Coinstar or similar privately owned machines offer to do it for free if you choose a particular kind of payment such as a gift card.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

A condo complex I used to own at had some coin laundry machines. One resident offered to count the money for free but would not accept any accountability. The management felt it was most cost effective to use him with a toothless honor system as opposed to monitor or audit (extra labor) or put coin counters (extra capital cost) on the machines or to hire someone else who would accept responsibility. The moral of the story is that it costs money to process money no matter which way you look.

Octoberbride03
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
If you choose to get a gift card they don't charge you the fee (or at least they didn't about 8 months ago in MA) we did that and UNDERESTAMATED the amount of change we had and ended up with over $300 on an Amazon gift card :rotfl:

Same here. I think it was close to $400 we came out with and that was a few years ago. STILL haven't spent it all. I'm down to like $6.00 I think. If they had had the Kindle or I had know it would be so big when we cashed in the coins i probably would have bought it with e-certificate we got. We still have more coins. 1 of these days we're heading back to coinstar and getting a new Amazon card.Its worth it:thumbsup2

andrews_dad
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
The school I work for does a Penny challange every year. I lug $1200 worth of coins (mostly pennies) into the Commerce bank each March. They are great. They bring out a cart to help me haul in the dozens of heavy buckets. Their machine is GREAT

JB2K
04-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Commerce Bank. A chain that is amazing. Free coin counting, customer kind hours including drive-through open with tellers on Sat and Sunday ... open late. GREAT!

Isn't Commerce Bank (Mid-Atlantic) called "TD Bank", nowdays?

For those of you in St. Louis and elsewhere in Mid-America, if a New Jerseyan on this board mentions "Commerce Bank", that is not the same institution (http://www.tdbank.com/aboutus/about_us.html) we know in the midwest and Colorado (https://www.commercebank.com/default.asp?rd=1).

As for Coinstar, their options are getting slimmer - I saw a machine at Walmart, last night that only gave you two options, the traditional exchange (for a fee) and a no-fee donation to a charity.