PDA

View Full Version : tax credit for new heat exchanger?

Lady V
04-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Hello! I am doing my grandparents taxes and this past year they had a new TRANE installed and on the invoice it says it qualifies for the 1500$ tax credit. I am using Turbo Tax. When I get to the upgrade page regarding things and inputting how much was spent (5,898.00)it keeps not giving me a window to input the code on the invoice. When I called the company they said to put in the code but there is no where I am seeing to put it. Any help would be great-my grandparents are really hoping to see this credit. Thanks

Lady V
04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
no one?

dawnball
04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
If you're using turbotax online, go to Tools/Topics & Forms and type "home energy improvement" in the "I'm looking for" box. It should be the obvious result.

However, there's no code you need to enter, just the amount of qualifying expenses. Be sure to keep a copy of the invoice (with the certification) with the tax return for your records. If you aren't sure it took, look for form 5695, or check line 52 of the 1040.

cheerforchelsea
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Sorry I am no help. I am trying to get my parents tax completed and they purchased a new unit last year - how in the world can you tell if it qualifies or not?!?!?!