PDA

View Full Version : Kennywood

lovintennessee
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
We are visiting relatives in PA this summer and would like to take the kids to Kennywood. It has been such a long time since I went. Does anyone have any advice on best times to go?

Thanks.
Tina

Joyful3Heart
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure when you're coming, but weekdays are usually better for crowds (except school picnic season, May to Mid June...PACKED!). The website also suggests Sundays. The only "light crowds" I have ever seen was 4th of July week, and according to the website, they do expect less crowds over the 4th of july. Depending on your schedule, they have special "nightrider" admission after 5:30 pm and often don't close til 11pm. My husband and I love to do this, missing the crowds and the heat. You'll have fun, though, whenever you go! :goodvibes

winnapooh
04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
You obviously can't plan for this, but if there is a day that you are visiting and it's drizzling...go then! We went once when it was overcast and occasionally drizzling, and there was Noone there!! Obviously you can't plan for it, and you don't want to be there during storms, or downpours that they close rides, but the overcast day was perfect!

Other than that, it's been crowded every day we've gone, except first thing. Go as soon as it opens and ride the big rides first.

lovintennessee
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks!! We are going mid June. We will go early though and I am sure stay all day long.

Does Giant Eagle have discount coupons? I thought I read that somewhere.

AndreaDM
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Giant Eagle usually does as well as AAA. We live in Ohio and can usually get tickets through AAA for around $20 a person. I have noticed that on weekends there are a lot of company picnics there as well, you'll be able to tell by the big pavillions reserved. But we still never had to wait in line for anything too long, it's a great park and we love it.

lovintennessee
04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks again!! I never thought about the AAA.

POOHLUV69
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Going mid June you still might hit some schools having picnics, I know ours is the 2nd week of June. Also keep in mind, they are putting in a new roller coaster this year so that might keep crowd attendance pretty high. I drove by on Sunday and it still looks like they have a lot to do on this new coaster.

XYSRUS
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm from the Cleveland area and we just usually pick a day -during the week- to go in June. Kennywood reminds me of old school Geauga Lake with old school rides and tons of trees and greenery and just a nice family park. Bring a picnic lunch b/c I think the food there is eh! except for the Potato Patch fries! My kids ask to go back every year...

lovintennessee
04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm from the Cleveland area and we just usually pick a day -during the week- to go in June. Kennywood reminds me of old school Geauga Lake with old school rides and tons of trees and greenery and just a nice family park. Bring a picnic lunch b/c I think the food there is eh! except for the Potato Patch fries! My kids ask to go back every year...

I am orginally from Ohio. We use to go to Sea World and Geauga Lake every summer when I was a kid.

natenapril
04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I am orginally from Ohio. We use to go to Sea World and Geauga Lake every summer when I was a kid.

us too~ And Sea World in Ohio! I so miss those days:cool2:

gandycat
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
We usually get our tickets at Giant Eagle for the discount. I love Kennywood, I've never missed a summer trip there in my 42 years! They have a rough calendar on the website:

http://www.kennywood.com/park_info/calendar.php

we usually call the office and ask what groups will be there and try to pick a day when there are no school or giant work picnics. The best time I've ever gone was Memorial Day, it was overcast and we walked on most rides.

Also, like any park, if you go early in the morning you'll get a lot of rides in before it gets really crowded.

You will have a great time! Don't forget to get some fries at The Potato Patch :thumbsup2

vicki_c
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Me too - it wasn't summer until we visited my aunt & uncle and went to SeaWorld & Geauga Lake!

But I love Kennywood -- we went with our kids a few years ago. But I wish they had FastPasses! :rotfl: