PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't the one talking about Disney this weekend!

Mickeefan
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Moderators: realized after posting, that this is probably on wrong board. Feel free to move.

Over the weekend, it wasn't me who brought up the topic of our next Disney vacation, it was my Dad! :rotfl2:

We're planning a trip for the week following Labor Day. I made the reservation last year as a bounceback, so we're getting free dining. We've made our ADR's and now we're just waiting.

Two times this weekend, my Dad brought up the trip! :scared1: First, he wanted to discuss the possibility of renting a motorized scooter (he's got neuropathy and we'll rent some kind of wheelchair). Incidentally, it's cheaper to rent from an outside company than it is to rent daily from Disney. In that case, we'd have to take the buses to the parks, and we were considering driving in order to park closer to the front of the parks in handicapped parking. But, he's got some issues with having to load at the resort and making others wait while doing so. And, secondly, he wanted to talk about our travel time. We're driving, since our reservation doesn't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day, we'll have all weekend to drive to Florida and he wants to have a day to see his brother/sister-in-law in Bradenton.

No big decisions were made, it was just surprising and refreshing to not be the one "always taking about Disney". :rolleyes1:

riley2008
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
My mom and dad went with us last July and my dad rented a scooter from aplace offsite (can't remember where now). It was easy. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge and never had an issue waiting for the buses or boat. He and my mom (or just him by himself) would board and we would wait and board with the line.

Also, his scooter broke down fairly easily and could fit in the trunk of a small car. The difficulty would be the motor and battery weigh about 30+ pounds. So definitely doable if you still wanted to drive to the parks every day.

HTH - and have fun on your trip!

starann
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I am so envious of you. In my entire family I am the ONLY one who brings up Disney. My inalws look at me like I have 7 heads when I bring up our upcoming trip (they went on the last one and weren't excited at all for it...they are weird).......friends who I am close to TELL me how crazy I am!!! LOL!

Even my husband, who is gonig on the trip, barely wants to talk about it. When ever I bring it up he says, "Geeze, it is 6 months away...of course I am not excited about it, whne it gets closer I'll get excited"

So I have no one, but the DIS to share my Disney excitement!!!

Mickeefan
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
We can just be excited for each other! My brother-in-law thinks I'm crazy. My friends all say I'm crazy, but some of them are just as crazy as I am! :rotfl2:

It doesn't help my excitement level with a good friend living down there now. I'm trying to sell my condo, so I can move down there, too.

Shelby5514
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
My DH and I took his parents and my mom to WDW in 2006 and both the mom's rented scooters from an offsite company, so we had to deal with TWO scooters on the busses. :scared1: Actually we didn't have a single problem at all. The drivers were SUPER nice and went out of their way to help us. We just made sure we didn't hit the busses during the "rush", the hour before opening and right at park closing. We slept in a bit, had a relazing breakfast and then went to the park. At park closing we either left before closing or just people watched until the crowds thinned out.

The only incident we had was with one couple that were trying to make it to a dinner reservation. We were at the Beach Club and they were trying to get to the Grand Floridian in 20 minutes. Uh, even IF we didn't have the scooters there was no way they would have made it. The bus driver suggested for them to take a cab. :thumbsup2

budbeerlady
04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
You are so lucky! I would give my right arm to take my parents to Disney. In-laws wasnt as much fun but my parents would be a riot.