PDA

View Full Version : ok, I am not at Walmart all that often, but...

FINFAN
04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
had to run in there yesterday, used the self check-out line. Looked at my receipt and ther is an 8 cent charge for using my debit card? How long has THAT been going on? I did a search and saw an article form Feb this year, on all credit card companies installing various charges at various retailers....sheesh. This may have been going on a while and I have totally overlooked it..and I know I am going to get flamed over 8 cents, but it's the principle. I guess I will go back to cash...that is how I more than likely missed this charge in the first place, but still think it is wrong to charge for the simple act of USING a specific type of payment at the checkout.

Good Morning Dewdrop
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
That's odd.

I shop at Wal-Mart all of the time (for our weekly shops) I've never had a charge for using my Disney Visa (yes I read each receipt to confirm prices etc before I leave the store). Not sure why they would charge for debit over credit - that makes no sense.

I suggest you call 1800Wal-Mart and ask directly. If it's a new policy complain about it - if enough people call they may change it back.

BellePrincessBelle
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I have never been charged & I look over my receipt with a fine tooth comb.

Jana49
04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Yowza - I shop there all the time, and have to 'fess up that I don't check my reciepts often. I keep them all, though, and will go check out! Thanks for the head's up!

Btw, you wouldn't have to switch to cash.. just use your debit card as a credit card. Here's how: when you get to the part where you put in your PIN number, hit CANCEL, then the option to use it as a credit card is there.

Luvchefmic
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
If you have a debit card with the Visa OR Mastercard logo....most do, but some don't..ALWAYS run it as pp stated as a credit card...I have finally gotten this message through to DH..not just Wal~Mart MOST places use a debit card incur a fee..why :confused3 doesn't matter to me why but never as a debit

MnMomtoboys
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Yowza - I shop there all the time, and have to 'fess up that I don't check my reciepts often. I keep them all, though, and will go check out! Thanks for the head's up!

Btw, you wouldn't have to switch to cash.. just use your debit card as a credit card. Here's how: when you get to the part where you put in your PIN number, hit CANCEL, then the option to use it as a credit card is there.

There are some debit cards that can't be used as credit cards.

secretpantssam
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I thought it was cheaper for retailers if you used debit over credit...I guess I misunderstood. And it's kind of messed up they didn't warn you there would be an extra charge. Sure it's 8 cents, but it's principle that they charged you 8 more than you thought without any warning.

Do you have a link to that article??

sydneysmom
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I've never noticed that ours does that. that's really odd. I think I'd definately ask the store manager though..... :confused3

Luvchefmic
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
There are some debit cards that can't be used as credit cards.

True..that's why I said you have to make sure your debit card has the Visa or MC logo.....some debit cards issued don't

cheerforchelsea
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I just checked my latest receipt - paid with a debit card and I didn't have a charge. It is a Regions Bank Card ---- wonder if the bank is the difference??? This was at an Alabama Wal-Mart. As many times as I go to WalMart that 8 cents would add up.:mad:

Daydreamer64
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I checked my debt purchase from WM on 4/11, in Angola, NY and there was no charge for using the debit anywhere on the rec. :sad2:

Mine has a visa logo, and is not a pre-pay, but a true debit card- :confused3

I do a lot of impluse buying so they will lose out if I have to be strict to the amount of cash I carry.

Disneyglobegirl
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I use my debit card everywhere for everything and have never been charged a fee from a merchant for using it. Is the fee thing something new in certain areas?

FINFAN
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
called walmart, customer service did not understand what I was talking about over the phone, so the next time I go in I will bring my receipt and show them...:confused3 it is weird...and I hope a fluke as I think charging people who use a debit card is nuts!

pilesoflaundry
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
True..that's why I said you have to make sure your debit card has the Visa or MC logo.....some debit cards issued don't

I don't know if they changed the policy but a year or so ago they stopped accepting check cards with the visa logo, only mastercard ones. I have a visa check card so I have to use it as debit.

I've never been charged a fee for it though.

happygirl
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
I use my debit card all the time at Walmart and have never been charged any sort of fee for using my debit card.

Luvchefmic
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't know if they changed the policy but a year or so ago they stopped accepting check cards with the visa logo, only mastercard ones. I have a visa check card so I have to use it as debit.

Who did WalMart? I go there sometimes 2 x's a week here in FL..still run it as credit..and have the Visa Logo....maybe each state is different or depends on your bank :confused3 don't know

BellePrincessBelle
04-12-2010, 02:48 PM

I use my Visa check card 2x's a week every week for the last 3 years as a Visa and have never had a problem.

tinkarooni
04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
OP - Are you sure that it is Walmart that charged it and not your bank?

Ephany
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

I use my visa check card when I shop at Walmart, maybe it's a regional thing. I know I was in there right before Easter and used it then.

JB2K
04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I shopped there, yesterday -- paid with a debit card -- and, no additonal charges...

BrettS
04-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Looked at my receipt and ther is an 8 cent charge for using my debit card?

What exactly does the receipt say? Is it possible that it was an 8 cent charge for something else? Like the others here, I haven't heard of anything like this before and even for 8 cents I think there would be a pretty loud outcry if this started to happen.

momof1princess
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
i use my debit card at wal-mart all the time, and i've never been charged a fee. OP, if i were you, i'd ask customer service about that.

cpdrn7
04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
yes, please do tell what the receipt says...I work in retail and with self checks...sometimes if a customer just types 1 and then hits enter...it rings up a five cent bottle deposit...check over your reciept for items purchased...sometimes it is an odd item not rung up correctly!

jme829
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Hmm interesting,,, I have a VISA debit card (for my checking account) and I can ONLY use it as a credit card at Walmart (and most places). I never get a charge either way. And I have a bad Walmart habit, I'm in there several times a week and use my debit card almost exclusively (anywhere I go).

Fire14
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Thats funny i've used mine several times and it's visa Come to think of it I had a 1 time issue with my card but it was at self scan and my bank was in process of name change so who knows what set it off that one time but have used since without issue.

SandrA9810
04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
this is kind of funny, because ikea actually gives you store credit if you use your card as debit.

People really should use cash...

nunzia
04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I have never had a fee and I debit there all the time. I would call management.

NYCDiane
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I shop at Wal Mart all the time (at least 2x/week) and always use the self-checkout. I go over my receipts very carefully and have never seen any fees for using my debit card.

I think you should call their corporate office and question it. It's possible your store is doing this without corporate's knowledge.

Melmac
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
This is interesting. Although this has not happened to me at my local Walmart, this policy was quite common when I was in Australia. If you used a credit card, they would add 3% to your total - essentially, you were paying for the store's cost of owning/renting a credit card machine and the phone line. Normally in North America, the stores pick up this cost as a "convenience" to the customer. There is a store in my town that charges as well ... however, there is a big sign at the cash register letting customers know. I can't remember the name of the store but it is a locally owned store, not a chain. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come ...

OP, as others suggested, I would call Walmart customer service and ask about the charge. I don't think the charge would have come from your bank and printed on the receipt, but I could be wrong.

elaine and the boys
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
This question may sound stupid, but what happens when you use your debit card as a 'credit' card? I don't, but was just wondering if it is recorded on your bank statement as immdediately coming out of your checking account....or do you receive a separate 'credit' card statement from your bank that then needs to be paid?:confused3

FINFAN
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
sorry..been a crazy afternoon! OK..the receipt lists
my items-price 19.96,
next item 3.48
sub-total 23.44
then tax 1 1.45
then tax 2 ( food) .06
total 24.95
debit tendered 24.96
debit .08 :confused3
change due 0.00

I was charged 8 cents, as then at the next section on the bottom it says 25.03 total purchase , and when I checked my account on line today it posted 25.03. it is so odd.

cm8
04-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I just checked my latest receipt - paid with a debit card and I didn't have a charge. It is a Regions Bank Card ---- wonder if the bank is the difference??? This was at an Alabama Wal-Mart. As many times as I go to WalMart that 8 cents would add up.:mad:

:rotfl:, the mad face had me

pamjb
04-13-2010, 07:55 AM
This question may sound stupid, but what happens when you use your debit card as a 'credit' card? I don't, but was just wondering if it is recorded on your bank statement as immdediately coming out of your checking account....or do you receive a separate 'credit' card statement from your bank that then needs to be paid?:confused3

It is recorded on your bank statement as coming out of your account. Mine isn't typically immediately, but does show up within 1-2 days.

sherabby
04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought it was cheaper for retailers if you used debit over credit...I guess I misunderstood. And it's kind of messed up they didn't warn you there would be an extra charge. Sure it's 8 cents, but it's principle that they charged you 8 more than you thought without any warning.

Do you have a link to that article??

We operate a credit/debit card machine at my work. We have NO fees for debit cards and a fee for credit. It is against Visa policy to pass along the credit fee to the customer. If caught we can have our machine removed.

Planogirl
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I've never seen a fee either and I use my Visa debit as a debit card at Wal-Mart all the time. Interesting...

jgates
04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
1. As mentioned a few posts ago merchants CANNOT charge you a surcharge for paying with MC or VISA. It's against regulations. Also as a note no minimum purchase required for use of a card - if you see a sign posting that anywhere it's against the agreements they signed. I have seen some say 'We politely request that you have a minimum purchase of.....' in touristy areas.

2. They cannot FORCE you to use your PIN vs. signature - although this is what WM tried a couple of years ago (which is when they got in the big fight with VISA as noted). However, their pads will normally PROMPT you to put your pin in if the card # is recognized as a debit card. You normally need to hit cancel 2x & then it will come up with the signature prompt.

3. YES, merchants do get charged more for signature based vs. PIN based - see # 2 - that's why they prompt you to use PIN. Your bank makes part of it's fee income with a signature based transaction (as well as MC & VISA).

4. And as mentioned above, no matter how YOU initiate the transaction it posts to your checking so you view it in the same manner. The benefit is to the merchant with PIN & to the bank with signature. And for some people it's a security preference. My mom hates signing while I hate having those Eye in the Sky cameras seeing me key in my PIN (even tho I know they will never get my card!).

I looked at your receipt items too & I can't figure it out as it seems to add up properly without the 8 cents. I am very curious as to what they tell you when you go back in. Some banks do charge for use of a debit card, but that fee should be assessed at the back end by the bank - not at the front end by WM. Is there some type of bottle deposit or something we missed?

disneylove69
04-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Could it be for shopping bags? My Wal-mart now charges for shopping bags.