PDA

View Full Version : delete post

rysmomma242
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
deleting post.... people are too nasty to my hubby.... not interested in their opinions anymore

nowellsl
04-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Was it a credit card or a debit card?

tinkerbell198530
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I am not sure if this would work but I was wondering if you called Disney and told them you are not going becuse of the mistake they made what they would do to accomadate you

Lisa_M
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Did you speak with a supervisor? If not, call back and ask to speak with one. It may typically take 7-10 days for a refund, but with this kind of mistake they should fast track your refund and I wouldn't ask, I would tell them I expect them to make this right. Explain to them you have bills to pay and they took this money without your authorization. They stole from you. Yes, mistakes happen, but that is an awfully big one and I'm sure they have some way to get that money back to you ASAP. It didn't take them 7-10 days to take your money from your account, did it?

rysmomma242
04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Debit card....
I did call to get the amount credit..... the number from online Disney booking..... they could care less!!! They didn't even say sorry!!!!! I don't understand... I love Disney I have been there a dozen times.... spent ten of thousands of dollars in the last 10 years!!! I don't know who to call or write!!

Hannathy
04-11-2010, 07:45 PM
I guess I'm gonna be the Debbie downer BUT Is your husband fearful because a little glitch is going to cause you to be late with your payments? I'm sorry but if you don't even have $600 in savings that you could use for your car payment should you be going to Disney? That sounds like you have no savings yet are planning a trip. He may be having realistic second thoughts.

I think maybe your DH is right and if I couldn't handle 1 extra car payment there is no way I would be going to Disney.

Lisa_M
04-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I guess I'm gonna be the Debbie downer BUT Is your husband fearful because a little glitch is going to cause you to be late with your payments? I'm sorry but if you don't even have $600 in savings that you could use for your car payment should you be going to Disney? That sounds like you have no savings yet are planning a trip. He may be having realistic second thoughts.

I think maybe your DH is right and if I couldn't handle 1 extra car payment there is no way I would be going to Disney.

Regardless of if they have the extra money or not, do you think it is understandable for Disney to just let her account have a credit and not automatically refund it and then after she calls, they get to take up to 2 business weeks to refund money they never should have taken in the first place?

rysmomma242
04-11-2010, 07:58 PM

you could be correct... but it is my daughter's birthday, and we could afford the $3000 for the trip... it was my hubby's christmas bonus... no I suppose I could transfer the $$ in so that the payment doesn't bounce, but that isn't the point.... they didn't even say sorry.... just .... "it will take 7-10 days"....for a mistake that they made, NOT ME!!! :headache:

Last year was horrible!! We stayed CL at Wilderness... it was terrible!!! But we assumed it was cut backs because of the economy... the poor lady from the desk had to clean up in the lounge..... I had to do some major talking to get him to use his bonus for Disney again this year..... But it is a BONUS and it should be special....

knewton64
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM

...I have to 2nd this opinion.

Moreover, keep in mind that Disney is being sued by the producers of Hannah Montana so Disney.....admitting they made a mistake??

T.T.F.N. & good luck w/whatever u do.

Lisa75
04-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I am so sorry this happened. You said you called the number to get the credit. I am not sure if you mean you already tried this, but tomorrow at 8 am call and ask for research and billing. Then choose the prompt for question about a pending trip. Just an idea. I hope this works out for you.

Also, they always say 7-10 days with a refund, but in my experience with my debit card it is 2-3 business days tops. Depends on your bank I guess.

bumbershoot
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
When a company gives that timeframe, they are allowing AMPLE time for your bank to deal with the refund. And that's where the hangup is in most cases, with each individual's bank.

I'm sure they requested the refund at once, and I'm sure it's an immediate, and automated, process.

I remember working CS at amazon...we would request a refund, and it was DONE on our end nearly instantly. I had refunds, and it would be there in my bank in a day or so. Other people with other banks would complain that we had delayed their refund, etc...but OUR refund process was exactly the same for everyone. It was their own banks taking extra time.

So just know that this estimate most likely includes all the extra time that Legal has said they need to include...the likelihood is that it will take less time.

As for apologies...even if they said it, any one individual person helping you isn't likely to MEAN it. So it's just lip service. The person who offered the refund and the person who did the refund (sounds like you had two phone calls to them, which is why I separate it) have done their job, and most likely in a timely fashion. They have evaluated the situation, determined that the amount is incorrect, and even though one used their own experiences to mis"diagnose" the situation, they did their jobs and have *helped* you in a meaningful way. I wouldn't pile on wanting a lip service apology to make me happy...there's just no point.

A problem happened, they are fixing it as fast as it can happen, and the next step is waiting for your bank to do their part. That is a really good resolution to a problem (that shouldn't have happened, I will give you that), and it's more than some companies would willingly give you.

Don't cancel for the reason of not getting an "I'm sorry this happened"...

hrh_disney_queen
04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
First of all, you have every right to be upset.

Second, it's nobody's concern whether you have $60, $600, or $6000 in the bank, how can that possibly tell them whether you can afford a Disney trip, and how dare they say it?! NOYB!

Third, don't email. Write a letter and mail it. Here are several addresses you can write to. When I had an issue, I wrote to two addresses just in case, and I got two phone calls. One was very concerned, and I even got something I wasn't asking for. The other wasn't as concerned, but listened to my issue. Here is a page from Deb's AllEars with several addresses you can use:

http://allears.net/pl/contact.htm

Good luck. I would certainly let them know that this error on their part put you in a bind. Just don't be excited and upset when you write it, do it calmly and factually-leave emotions out of it.

blessedby3
04-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Sorry this has happened to you. This is the main reason I never use my debit card for major payments. I use the credit card and write a check to pay it off when I get the bill.

Amber1111
04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Shouldn't they have just charged the balance you owed? Did you really have to tell them a specific amount to charge? I would think they could just look at your account and see how much you owed.

If that's the case, you should call back and speak with a manager. I work for an insurance company and when I worked in our accounts receivable department, any time a customer had bounced check fees due to our error, we refunded that amount after they provided proof that their checks bounced. They need to reimburse you for your fees if it's their fault. You'll probably get charged an NSF fee from anyone you wrote a bounced check to, and an additional NSF fee from your bank.

mrsklamc
04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Gosh if I were your DH I would want to cancel too! If I paid to stay CL I would be TICKED if the experience were less than amazing!

wshupnastar
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
If you want to call Disney again, a hint I can give is to call and ask to speak with Guest Services. These are not the same "front line" Cast Members taking the reservations. They have more pull and also are generally more willing to try and make things right. Call and explain why your husband is upset. Tell them you really want to take this trip, but hubby is justifiably upset. They may be able to do something for you, at the very least, I think they would be more apologetic if they hear the whole story.

I work with Disney everyday, and have had similar situations with clients' payments (double charges and the like). Disney will say 2 weeks, but I have never seen it take that long, of course, I usually ask that since it was their fault, it be expedited. I really don't know if that works, or if it's just that it really does only take a day or two, but I know my clients' usually report it's taken care of quickly.

I can understand your husband wanting an apology. I don't care if it is lip service or not...it honestly does make people feel better.

As for the money issue, I agree with a previous poster...it's really no one's business, so I hope you aren't offended by what others may have said. I honestly hope that your husband calms down and your kids get their trip to Disney. As the mother of two teenagers, believe me, they don't stay little long!

chabs
04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Can't you call your bank and let them know that this was an unauthorized charge? You only authorized a certain amount and they overcharged you. I would start with your own bank. I know that our credit union will not hold the charge against you if you file a form against the charge and it would not be held against your checking account until the matter is resolved one way or the other. It wouldn't hurt to call your bank and see what your options are.

debbiecarr98
04-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Can't you call your bank and let them know that this was an unauthorized charge? You only authorized a certain amount and they overcharged you. I would start with your own bank. I know that our credit union will not hold the charge against you if you file a form against the charge and it would not be held against your checking account until the matter is resolved one way or the other. It wouldn't hurt to call your bank and see what your options are.

Yes, this is an excellent point, this would keep you from getting the overdraft charges if the credit doesnt go through right away. What a frustrating situation.I am sorry.

pixiewings71
04-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Ok first thing tomorrow, contact your bank and let them know what has happened. They be able to help you with overdraft fees. Second call Disney back and get someone higher up, let them know the situation and that they will be billed for all overdrafts you get hit with due to their mistake. Do you have a confirmation of any kind to prove you authorized the $500 amount and not the $1100? Relax and stay calm, this will work itself out, your DH will relax and you will get your trip. :) I hope this trip is 1000000% better then the last one you had. :)

aceys_h0ney
04-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I am sorry this has happend to you.

Last year I had to cancel a trip due to a family emergency. I asked if they could speed up the refund and was transfered to another dept. The lady there told me it is usually the bank or credit card company that causes a delay but that she would note to my account my reason for needing the money back quickly. It was in my bank account about 48 hours later.

I hope it is refunded quickly to you and that your husband won't cancel. Dress your 2 yo up as a Disney princess and maybe he will change his mind. ; )

ksumn1
04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Call your bank 1st thing in the morning. Explain the situation and see if they can suggest any course of action. Or at least make them aware of the situation so they can possibly speed up the process on their end. Also, if your debit card is Visa or mastercard branded, aren't you protected against overcharges?

And to those who question whether OP should be going to WDW??!!:confused3 She didn't ask for an opinion on if she and her family should go to WDW. She asked what should she do about the overcharge. I know she mentioned the overdraft on the car payment, but really MYOB. She asked how to convince DH to go, not how to dissuade. Why does everybody have to be the money police?:confused3

heatherleigh
04-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I had to get a refund last month. I made a reservation w/ Disney, then they came out w/ a special (I didn't want to lose out on) so I made a second one. Both required a $200 deposit, I believe. Anyway, I think my refund came through within a few days. I don't really use that account (it's solely a vacation fund) so I wasn't keeping close enough tabs to tell you the exact date, but it definitely didn't take two weeks.

OP, please don't worry about the money-police and their scoldings, because that really doesn't matter. It is beside the point, and not anyone else's concern.

ryan840
04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
We've been overcharged and put in that situation before too, and Disney was wonderful about it. They offered to write a letter to our bank taking responsibility for the mistake and everything.

I don't get why total strangers feel the need to tell you whether or not you can afford your vacation (based on one post no less), it irks me to no end when I see people do that. I wouldn't take it personally.

saradela
04-11-2010, 11:14 PM
They made a mistake also with me. They told me that it will take 7 to 10 days. The money was in my account 48 hours later.
:cool1:

Planogirl
04-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Funny how these threads always draw financial advice. It might be correct but of course it's up to you how you spend your money.

I think that calling Disney back and calling your back is wise. I wish you luck getting all of this resolved.

rysmomma242
04-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Thank you for all the responses... Even the "money police".... You all are kind to be concerned. I am surprised that so many of you have had the same trouble with overcharging. I will be on the phone this am with the bank and hopefully a supervisor at Disney. My crazy hubby thinks they should give us a CL room for making the mistake.... Ridiculous!!!! That will SO NOT happen, no matter how many supervisor I call.

Indiana Rose Lee
04-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Thank you for all the responses... Even the "money police".... You all are kind to be concerned. I am surprised that so many of you have had the same trouble with overcharging. I will be on the phone this am with the bank and hopefully a supervisor at Disney. My crazy hubby thinks they should give us a CL room for making the mistake.... Ridiculous!!!! That will SO NOT happen, no matter how many supervisor I call.

I hope that all comes together today. That is a crappy feeling. When we were paying off the hospital bills we had to deal with issues like this a couple of times.

auralia
04-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I just want to give a warning once i over paid disney and it took them over 30 days to get me the money back... this is why i always pay on a credit card now the refund your money much quicker if you or they make a mistake (in my case it was also their mistake).

Praying Colonel
04-12-2010, 07:51 AM
As a hubby, when I hear his comment "It's started already!" it says to me (a) he's stressed about finances, and (b) he believes the trip is going to stress out those finances even more.

I know this is probably not the help OP asked for in the title of her post, but she did ask for help, so here's my help: if paying for this trip is cutting it so close that a $600 error means bouncing the vehicle payment, then I wouldn't go. I know it's DD's birthday, but IMHO she could have a wonderful birthday present that costs less than the cost of a WDW vacation.

Pulling on my flame-retardant gear and ducking for cover....

taximomfor4
04-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Been overcharged at other places (not WDW), more than once. Each time, once I cleared the correct amount with the place that overcharged me, I simply notified my bank as well. It took ONE phone call, the bank cleared the mis-charged funds right away and nothing bad happened. I say, you already fixed the amount with Disney. Now, give your bank a call and have your account balance adjusted. Takes a quick phone call. Too much emotion invested in fixing an easily remedied error gets the vacation off on the wrong foot.

Seriously...the bank really mostly likely will just put the disputed amount back into your available balance until the proof from WDW of the charge goes through. Takes 3 minutes, tops. The supervisors at WDW can't help. And an apology won't fix the error, you'd just be wasting more of your own precious time chasing one down.

I hope, hope, hope your vacation is much, much better than the last time! Tell your dh that billing glitches are not unique to WDW, For the several I've suffered, NOT ONE has been at WDW! The remedy is quick, and simple, and relatively painless.

:lovestruc (hoping you feel the love at WDW this next trip!)

vroomagain
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Also try calling whoever you are making payments to and let them know you will be late with the payment.

Mom2Ben02
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
OP, I am sorry this happened to you!! I work for BOA - I know for us, we are doing everything we can to make people happy these days. Hopefully, your bank would refund any OD fees. If not, have a banker print off a statement showing how many fees were charged due to Disney, and send it to a supervisor at WDW. Hopefully, they will take care of it!!

As far as those who are saying "don't go" because of finances...is this not the budget board? I read posts every day about people who finance trips with "found" money...I think a bonus is a great way to pad the vacation fund. :)

iwrbnd
04-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm concerned about your trip on a whole different level. Money and Disney mistakes aside, your DH sounds like he's in a position to be miserable no matter what happens on your trip. That would quickly ruin a Disney trip for me and make me wish we had stayed home. Maybe waiting a year or two until your DH is ready will make everyone happier! Just a thought.

labdogs42
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm concerned about your trip on a whole different level. Money and Disney mistakes aside, your DH sounds like he's in a position to be miserable no matter what happens on your trip. That would quickly ruin a Disney trip for me and make me wish we had stayed home. Maybe waiting a year or two until your DH is ready will make everyone happier! Just a thought.

Or save money by leaving him at home and you and your DD have a fun mommy/daughter vaca! :rolleyes1

*pixie*dust*
04-12-2010, 10:19 AM

I was actually thinking the same thing. Sounds like DH doesn't want to go at all.

wdwfan16
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
:sad1:So Disney charged our credit card an extra $600!! I made my final payment for our May vacation... it was $504.32 but they charged me $1104.32!! I called today, they were very nice and said I had a credit balance that I could use in the park, or they would refund it... it will take 7-10 days..... Well we are not the type of people that have an extra $600 in our account so my car payment is going to bounce!!! They had NO apologies.... they said I must have told them the wrong amount??? I would not make a mistake like that... I know how much I owe!!! My husband is furious!!! After all of the problems we had last year it was ALL I could do to get him to agree to go back this year for my daughter's birthday. A 2 year old begging to see "prin-ess" helped! Now he wants to cancel because of all of this... he says, " it's starting already and we haven't even gotten there!" How can I change his mind??? My son has cried all day long.... I could cry!!! I was so exicted..... all he wants is an "we are sorry for the mistake.... sorry your bills will bounce!" :confused3 I think I need to write a letter, but does anyone know an actual email that will get to actual Disney People.... instead of the booking people???? Maybe they just don't realize that everyone doesn't have a ton of extra money in there bank accounts?????!!! I am so sad!!!!

This is why I pay with a CC and not a Debit card.

How will canceling make the car payment? Is there anyway to get the money for the car payment and then return the money when you get the refund?

Would you DH be fine with leaving him home? It would save some money.

hrh_disney_queen
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
but it is my daughter's birthday, and we could afford the $3000 for the trip... it was my hubby's christmas bonus... ...

People who are judging the OP's financial abilities should go back and read this post. But then again, NOYB!

apnep
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I think I need to write a letter, but does anyone know an actual email that will get to actual Disney People.... instead of the booking people???? Maybe they just don't realize that everyone doesn't have a ton of extra money in there bank accounts?????!!! I am so sad!!!!

No WAY. Get on the phone and demand to speak to a supervisor and tell them the amount you owed and that it is THEIR mistake and they need to fix it ASAP. Tell them they are going to make you default on your bills and that if they don't resolve it then they are going to lose your business. If they can take it out, they can put it back. It might take 3 days but they can do it.

Good luck.

Angela

apnep
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Debit card....
I did call to get the amount credit..... the number from online Disney booking..... they could care less!!! They didn't even say sorry!!!!! I don't understand... I love Disney I have been there a dozen times.... spent ten of thousands of dollars in the last 10 years!!! I don't know who to call or write!!

You can also call your bank then and stop payment. It will cost you like $30 or $40 bucks.

Ang

apnep
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Or save money by leaving him at home and you and your DD have a fun mommy/daughter vaca! :rolleyes1

Haha! Too right! My thoughts exactly just before I read your post! Great minds think alike! ;)

crostorfer
04-12-2010, 11:58 AM

I second this idea! LOL

Also, you don't owe anyone an explanation of how you want to spend your money. If you want to spend all of your money on a Disney vacation, that is totally up to you and you don't deserve people looking down their noses and judging you. Sorry for the flames. Good luck to you!

wtccheermom
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
For what is worth about a month ago Disney owed me my room deposit back because we switched form a room only to a package and it was very quick. I made the changes on a Sunday and I just checked my bank account to see and the money was credited back by Tuesday. So hopefully that will be the same for you!!!

pearlieq
04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
no I suppose I could transfer the $$ in so that the payment doesn't bounce, but that isn't the point

Why wouldn't you do that? I'm sure bouncing payments results in fees, and if you could avoid that by temporarily transfering money, why wouldn't you?

I hope it gets worked out for you, one way or the other.

maxiesmom
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
As a hubby, when I hear his comment "It's started already!" it says to me (a) he's stressed about finances, and (b) he believes the trip is going to stress out those finances even more.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

In addition, what will his attitude be if anything is not perfect during your vacation? Will he get really angry and let it ruin his vacation? If your husband is already looking to cancel the trip, I'm afraid if the least little thing goes wrong , he will be a very unhappy camper, and you will wish you had stayed home and saved the money.

It always seems that when you expect everything to be perfect that something will go wrong. If your hubby is already upset, than I fear you will not have an enjoyable vacation.

Ms. Belle
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I wouldn't make me want to cancel, but it would make me mad!

Secondly, I don't understand why people have to bring up her savings or whether or not she has the money to go; it's none of your business! The point is that Disney took money from her account that isn't theirs; they should replace it immediately.

rysmomma242
04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone! I called the bank today, no worries about the overdrafting of the car payment I apparently have overdraft protection..... Thank goodness. Called Disney to inquire about my hubby's ridiculous need for a free upgrade, but although they were really sweet and the girl said she would note our account about all of this trouble, there was no way that they could upgrade us. She said perhaps I will get some pixie dust at the resort because of her notes. I also have thought that I should just leave the hubby home, but it was HIS bonus check that paid for the trip, so he deserves to "try" to enjoy it. Hopefully the thought of losing $200 if we cancel will get him on the plane!!!! You guys are all great!! I am so happy that found the app on my phone for DIS!! So if anyone wants to send me good thoughts for some MAJOR pixie dust in May feel free!!! Fingers crossed that DH doesn't give up on Disney.

tinkarooni
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
No advice to OP, It looks like you got everything squared away.

Just a note to folks who assume that just because her account could be overdrafted she can't afford the trip. I don't know if she can or can't, not really my business, however I will say that sometimes I sometimes cut my checking account close. In order for me to transfer money it could take 3-4 business days from my online accounts. I since have solved that problem with a new savings account in the same bank as checking and setting up overdraft protection through it, but the interest is so lousy that I really only did this to avoid what OP is going through right now, and I only keep the minimum in there anyways. Just for this type of emergency. So I could see how a person could be in danger of overdraft if $600 were taken out of their checking account unexpectedly. Just FYI. :)

richmond282
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Have you tried calling your bank? Disney charged more than you authorized. The bank should be able to tell you what to do.

Jitzy
04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
No advice to OP, It looks like you got everything squared away.

Just a note to folks who assume that just because her account could be overdrafted she can't afford the trip. I don't know if she can or can't, not really my business, however I will say that sometimes I sometimes cut my checking account close. In order for me to transfer money it could take 3-4 business days from my online accounts. I since have solved that problem with a new savings account in the same bank as checking and setting up overdraft protection through it, but the interest is so lousy that I really only did this to avoid what OP is going through right now, and I only keep the minimum in there anyways. Just for this type of emergency. So I could see how a person could be in danger of overdraft if $600 were taken out of their checking account unexpectedly. Just FYI. :)

We cut our checking account close every time because of the ridiculously low interest rates. The money we don't plan to spend goes to other accounts. So, just because the money isn't in one account doesn't mean it isn't in another.

smokeyblue
04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I had a similar incident when we joined a gym about 6 weeks ago. I had just got back from Disney and my checking was pretty much drained. I paid the first month in cash and set up EFT for the upcoming months. They charged a whole month to my checking account that day! I had a lot of bills that were going to be coming out of my checking in the next week and it was going to be dangerously close to overdraft. The gym fixed it right away, they called my bank and told them it was thier fault if it happened and they gave me the cash to run over to my bank right away.

As for those who are critical of folks who cut things close with their bank accounts I have to say you know nothing of what you speak. My paycheck is deposited in several accounts, my local checking and several split up savings accounts with an on-line bank. I get much more interest moving my money around instead of keeping it in one place. The drawback is that it is harder to get to, but I have other options for emergent situations.

I hope your situation pans out for you. Like someone else said, do you actually have that bonus money sitting around in another account? Could you transfer it to cover just in case? It also is a good suggestion to call your bank and give them a heads up. The bad thing is that some banks will refer you to their fraud agency to take care of a matter like this.

labdogs42
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone! I called the bank today, no worries about the overdrafting of the car payment I apparently have overdraft protection..... Thank goodness. Called Disney to inquire about my hubby's ridiculous need for a free upgrade, but although they were really sweet and the girl said she would note our account about all of this trouble, there was no way that they could upgrade us. She said perhaps I will get some pixie dust at the resort because of her notes. I also have thought that I should just leave the hubby home, but it was HIS bonus check that paid for the trip, so he deserves to "try" to enjoy it. Hopefully the thought of losing $200 if we cancel will get him on the plane!!!! You guys are all great!! I am so happy that found the app on my phone for DIS!! So if anyone wants to send me good thoughts for some MAJOR pixie dust in May feel free!!! Fingers crossed that DH doesn't give up on Disney.

Oh, good. I'm glad it worked out. And if your DH isn't a Disney nut like you are, maybe you could plan some time for him to do non-park stuff on the vacation. Maybe he could go for a round of golf or a drive on the race track, or for a Segway Tour or something. Something a little different and fun just for him and to celebrate his bonus. Maybe that would make him feel a little more involved in the vacation. I know I surprised my DH with a gift certificate for the Segway tour on one of our trips and he loved it!

pixie921
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM

I know this is probably not the help OP asked for in the title of her post, but she did ask for help, so here's my help: if paying for this trip is cutting it so close that a $600 error means bouncing the vehicle payment, then I wouldn't go. I know it's DD's birthday, but IMHO she could have a wonderful birthday present that costs less than the cost of a WDW vacation.

Pulling on my flame-retardant gear and ducking for cover....

Really?? I don't see where you're getting either of those ideas. Perhaps you're projecting?

I think his comments simply mean he's anticipating another trip at Disney that he won't enjoy, since they apparently had some bumps during their previous trip.

Why on earth do people need to jump to the conclusion that it's a money issue? :confused3

debbiecarr98
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
oh, good. I'm glad it worked out. And if your dh isn't a disney nut like you are, maybe you could plan some time for him to do non-park stuff on the vacation. Maybe he could go for a round of golf or a drive on the race track, or for a segway tour or something. Something a little different and fun just for him and to celebrate his bonus. Maybe that would make him feel a little more involved in the vacation. I know i surprised my dh with a gift certificate for the segway tour on one of our trips and he loved it!

great idea!

dclfun
04-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Sounds like the issue has been resolved, but I'm still wondering how it happened. Did you make the payment over the phone? The only reason I'm asking is that you said you called the phone # you found on the online payments page. If you made the payment online, sounds like there isn't a "pop-up" warning that you were overpaying, and if the payment was made over the phone, I'd think the agent processing the payment should have gotten a similar warning. Otherwise I can see this scenario happening all to often. Meanwhile I agree with everyone who's said it's no one's business as to how anyone affords anything, including a vacation. I don't keep tons of money in my checking account either as I'd prefer it be earning interest somehow so that kind of error would have me worried too. As to your husband's concerns, my husband ( now deceased) tended to be a negative person- always thinking of what could go wrong, focusing on things that weren't perfect, etc. where I have always been the exact opposite- finding the hidden rainbows and the silver linings in every situation including ones that were really rough spots. It's just a difference in ingrained personality types and nothing either of us could change about ourselves. Hopefully your husband will have something good happen that will change his view of things right away. Seeing his daughter enjoying her birthday will at least be a start. :-) Sending pixie dust to you for a really magical vacation. You deserve it!---Kathy

rysmomma242
04-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Kathy- thanks for the pixie dust. My DH is alot like yours he always expects the worst. I made the payment over the phone and apparently it happens often. DH did a better business check on Disney and the have a D-...... I was surprised but there where alot of complaints about overcharging and refunding. Oh well still no desicion on his part as to canceling. He sent a letter straight to Disney, hopefully they reply.

secretpantssam
04-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Glad to see it worked out! I would want someone to have to cancel a wonderful trip because of a mistake.

apnep
04-12-2010, 09:09 PM
:After all of the problems we had last year it was ALL I could do to get him to agree to go back this year for my daughter's birthday.... he says, " it's starting already and we haven't even gotten there!"

rysmomma, it sounds like you are much better. But, now I'm curious & only if you want to share...what's the deal with last year's trip?:confused3

Ang

DisneyTravelers2008
04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
It seems I have bad luck like this all the time, too! Lucklly, it has not happened at Disney. I would get on the phone and begin by politley DEMANDING a Supervisor. Just inist that someone helps you with this. Sometimes in cases like this you just have be be pushy. I hope it works out. I would hate to think of cancelling everything b/c of their mistake.

Carl Fredricksen
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hear this happened and glad that everything is going to work out.

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
ugh!!! So I thought this was done..... But hubby calls this morning and tells me to call the airline and see what happens if I cancel our tickets!!! We are flying Southwest, so they will just give a a credit that has to be used within a year.... BUT still..... He is nad because he emailed a letter YESTERDAY and they haven't replied yet!! Give them a chance!!! It hasn't even been 24 hours. I am thinking I should just cancel and be done with it. No matter what they do it won't be good enough for him.

It's not even really DisneyWorld's fault, it is the online reservation company.... they are two different companies. I am sure they are noting our account and we are looking like major league complainers... no pixie dust for us!! UGH!!!!!:sad2::headache:

apnep
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
ugh!!! So I thought this was done..... he emailed a letter YESTERDAY

Why haven't you called to speak with a supervisor?? Get on the phone and resolve it yourself and don't give up. Keep calling back until you get the answer you want. Don't wait anymore, call!

Good luck!
Ang

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Why haven't you called to speak with a supervisor?? Get on the phone and resolve it yourself and don't give up. Keep calling back until you get the answer you want. Don't wait anymore, call!

Good luck!
Ang

I have called twice.... they are making the refund..... there is nothing else they can do. I asked the girl I talked to yesterday how much it would cost to upgrade to the CL, if it wasn't that much I would just do it out of a different account and I could tell DH that they did it as a compensation..... but she said since we booked with the 40% off rate it would be over $400 a night for CL!!! There isn't anything else they can do... it takes as long as it takes for the refund to go through, they are trying to cheat us out of our money, they just made a mistake. DH is being unreasonable....:rolleyes1

taximomfor4
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
I am not sure what your husband thinks...the error was made, caught, and fixed. You ended up exactly in the shape you should have, so really, it was just a clerical error. WDW may have reimbursed any money you ended up being charged in fees, but you didn't have any.

In all the times companies have overcharged me by mistake (once I got double charged for a nice hotel. Seriously, the 3 of us only used 1 room that night, not 2!) I called the bank, they put a "dispute" on the overcharge making the overcharged funds immediately available, then I called the hotel. Done deal.

What would the compensation be for? It's an error, that happens a LOT all over the place. Heck, I have had it happen at my local Domino's twice in 4 years. I still go there, it gets fixed every time.

I wonder if he is just either

A) using this as an opportunity to try to get something for nothing, which isn't cool and I HOPE he isn't one of "those" people

or

B) Looking to get out of this trip, whether out of worry about finances or because he just isn't into it

Either way, OP, I feel for you. You are caught in the middle and don't even know what the REAL issue is. It can't really be because of one mistake, you know? We had a horrible experience our first family trip, gave it another go, and had a great time even though there is always some glitch or other, in every trip...like what they say - that something goes wrong at every wedding!

apnep
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I have called twice.... they are making the refund..... there is nothing else they can do. I asked the girl I talked to yesterday how much it would cost to upgrade to the CL, if it wasn't that much I would just do it out of a different account and I could tell DH that they did it as a compensation..... it takes as long as it takes for the refund to go through, they are trying to cheat us out of our money, they just made a mistake.

OK, first, did you say you spoke to a supervisor? And second, NO WAY would I pay to upgrade when it was their mistake just to make DH happy! That is silly! Why would you get mad they are cheating you out of your money and then go and pay for an upgrade? I also thought I read yesterday that you called the bank to see about stopping payment on the unauthorized charges? I don't know what happened last year on your trip but it must have been bad for DH to be this upset especially if you have the money in another account to cover it until it's refunded.

Good luck, girlfriend, but I would still keep trying until I got someone who was really in charge. Hope it all works out for you. :)

Ang

Planogirl
04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
What exactly is the point of talking to a supervisor when they've already corrected the error? Just to get a freebie?

I wonder if DH isn't looking for a way to get out of this trip too. OP, good luck!

apnep
04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I have called twice.... There isn't anything else they can do... it takes as long as it takes for the refund to go through, they are trying to cheat us out of our money, they just made a mistake. DH is being unreasonable....:rolleyes1

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread that, your HUSBAND thinks they are cheating you out your money while you are waiting on the refund. Still, I wouldn't be paying for an upgrade. Why's DH so bent out of shape over this if it's being refunded? Make that man a martini and tell him to calm down.:rolleyes:

I'll be rootin' for ya. Good luck!

*pixie*dust*
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=rysmomma242;36236204]ugh!!! So I thought this was done..... But hubby calls this morning and tells me to call the airline and see what happens if I cancel our tickets!!! We are flying Southwest, so they will just give a a credit that has to be used within a year.... BUT still..... He is nad because he emailed a letter YESTERDAY and they haven't replied yet!! Give them a chance!!! It hasn't even been 24 hours. I am thinking I should just cancel and be done with it. No matter what they do it won't be good enough for him.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I think you have hit the nail on the head with the bolded statement. His issue is bigger than the over charge. It would probably be best to cancel and work through this issue than go and have a miserable time!

apnep
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
What exactly is the point of talking to a supervisor when they've already corrected the error? Just to get a freebie?

I wonder if DH isn't looking for a way to get out of this trip too. OP, good luck!

Oh, no not for a freebie, but to get them to make the return faster that 7 days.

Ang

disneystacy
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Sounds like hubby is looking to get a freebie or doesn't want to go on this trip at all.

Not really sure why hubby gets to call all the shots though. It would be a cold day in you know what before hubby put his foot down without giving specific reasons. Sounds like control issues. A mistake was made and fixed. They happen, its called life.

Not really sure why a upgrade to CL will make a difference?

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
OK, first, did you say you spoke to a supervisor? And second, NO WAY would I pay to upgrade when it was their mistake just to make DH happy! That is silly! Why would you get mad they are cheating you out of your money and then go and pay for an upgrade? I also thought I read yesterday that you called the bank to see about stopping payment on the unauthorized charges? I don't know what happened last year on your trip but it must have been bad for DH to be this upset especially if you have the money in another account to cover it until it's refunded.

Good luck, girlfriend, but I would still keep trying until I got someone who was really in charge. Hope it all works out for you. :)

Ang

opps typo..... I meant to say "its NOT like they are trying to cheat us" ....

I think you are also right that DH is just using this as his "excuse" not to go. Although it really was his idea in the first place.... I didn't actually get excited until I started planning. I ordered super cute little dresses from Etsy, the kiddos have there little Disney Dollar Incentive charts up on the wall to earn spending money.... we are 36 days away!!

But I refuse to go and be miserable the whole week because of this silly mistake!!!

Wish I could find a way to make him happy.... :headache:

disneystacy
04-13-2010, 09:30 AM

I think you are also right that DH is just using this as his "excuse" not to go. Although it really was his idea in the first place.... I didn't actually get excited until I started planning. I ordered super cute little dresses from Etsy, the kiddos have there little Disney Dollar Incentive charts up on the wall to earn spending money.... we are 36 days away!!

But I refuse to go and be miserable the whole week because of this silly mistake!!!

I would make him happy and go without him. So what if the money is from his bonus check. You are 36 days away from your trip and you and your kids are looking foward to it.

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I would make him happy and go without him. So what if the money is from his bonus check. You are 36 days away from your trip and you and your kids are looking foward to it.

I wish!! That will never happen!!

Wendy5055
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
WOW...it really sounds like you need to pull out a bottle of wine after the kiddies are in bed...then sit with your hubby and have a talk about it all. You need to be calm and in control because it sounds a bit like he has lost it on this one. Just find out (in a non-confrontational manner) what is really going on in his head...does he just feel finances are too tight, upset of problems (specifics help here), stressed out at work, are you calling him with every little update about the bank/mistake???

He needs to understand that HE is not the only one looking forward to or going on this trip! It just sounds like someone needs to put his big boy undies on and deal with it...sorry...JMO.:rolleyes1

I do hope it all works out for you.:hug:

*pixie*dust*
04-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I wish!! That will never happen!!

:hug: It sounds as though you have a difficult home life.
The fact that he would never stay home and let you go tells me that
there are some definate control issues. It doesn't sound like you are
going to win on this one. Cancel and try again in a year or so. It sounds
like if you go now it will be a miserable trip no matter what. 2 miserable trips in a row to WDW will probably guarentee that you never go back based on DH 's reactions. I don't want that for you or your little ones!

Rosiekins
04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Can you try and make him see how hard it would be on your kids? With only 36 days away it would be very difficult to explain to them. Tell him it isn't just about what he wants but the whole family. If it were just you two it would be different but with kids it hardly seems fair.

Lucky4me
04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
First of all, you have every right to be upset.

Second, it's nobody's concern whether you have $60, $600, or $6000 in the bank, how can that possibly tell them whether you can afford a Disney trip, and how dare they say it?! NOYB!

Third, don't email. Write a letter and mail it. Here are several addresses you can write to. When I had an issue, I wrote to two addresses just in case, and I got two phone calls. One was very concerned, and I even got something I wasn't asking for. The other wasn't as concerned, but listened to my issue. Here is a page from Deb's AllEars with several addresses you can use:

http://allears.net/pl/contact.htm

Good luck. I would certainly let them know that this error on their part put you in a bind. Just don't be excited and upset when you write it, do it calmly and factually-leave emotions out of it.

With all due respect, concerning your second point, she is the one that said they are not the type of people to have an extra $600 in an account to cover a mistake like this. She said it, not anyone else. She put it out there, twice in her first post.

If I didn't have an extra $600 to cover an error like this, I would most certainly cancel this trip and bank that $3,000. Then, when something like this happened again, I WOULD have some savings as a cushion and the error would be a non issue.

At some point common sense needs to prevail. Maybe her husband has come to that point.

apnep
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM

Yea, and he can spend the portion not being spent on him at Disney while he's all by his lonesome and your'e sending him postcards. :rotfl:

apnep
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
WOW...it really sounds like you need to pull out a bottle of wine after the kiddies are in bed...then sit with your hubby and have a talk about it all.

I agree with this. Maybe you need to find out what really bothering him?

Ang

Kay1
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
It sounds like DH really has a thing for CL but, as you have said yourself, that's not going to happen because of an error. If CL means so much to him maybe he could sell something he owns to pay for it. Some old jewelry, maybe?

Good luck.

:)

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
It really isn't a matter of control. I am a stay home mom, hubby works his tush off to make a good life for us. It is supposed to be a family vaca... I sometimes just wish he would relax... The bottle of wine sounds like a good idea.... I should buy Indaba... That is what they have at AK!!

disneystacy
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
It really isn't a matter of control. I am a stay home mom, hubby works his tush off to make a good life for us. It is supposed to be a family vaca... I sometimes just wish he would relax... The bottle of wine sounds like a good idea.... I should buy Indaba... That is what they have at AK!!

I'm sorry, but you probably work your tush off just as hard being a SAHM. You are intitled to a vacation just as much as he does.
If money issues is the reason he doesn't want to go I can respect that. But if its just because he is bugged by the mistake, the only one he is punishing is you and your kids. I assure you Disney will go on without your family this year.
I will tell you if it was my hubby and he made me cancel this trip because "he just wasn't feeling it", it wouldn't be a very happy time for him going foward. If he was unhappy before, he would now be given a reason to be uhappy.
Who died and made him sole decision maker?

wdwfan16
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
ugh!!! So I thought this was done..... But hubby calls this morning and tells me to call the airline and see what happens if I cancel our tickets!!! We are flying Southwest, so they will just give a a credit that has to be used within a year.... BUT still..... He is nad because he emailed a letter YESTERDAY and they haven't replied yet!! Give them a chance!!! It hasn't even been 24 hours. I am thinking I should just cancel and be done with it. No matter what they do it won't be good enough for him.

It's not even really DisneyWorld's fault, it is the online reservation company.... they are two different companies. I am sure they are noting our account and we are looking like major league complainers... no pixie dust for us!! UGH!!!!!:sad2::headache:

Your DH sounds like a bully, child and overly entitled at the same time.

So he will only accept CL because of a mistake!!!!:confused3

There are much bigger problems here then just $600.

wdwfan16
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM

What is this? Sounds like fun!

labdogs42
04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
With all due respect, concerning your second point, she is the one that said they are not the type of people to have an extra $600 in an account to cover a mistake like this. She said it, not anyone else. She put it out there, twice in her first post.

If I didn't have an extra $600 to cover an error like this, I would most certainly cancel this trip and bank that $3,000. Then, when something like this happened again, I WOULD have some savings as a cushion and the error would be a non issue.

At some point common sense needs to prevail. Maybe her husband has come to that point.

OP later said that she would have to transfer the $600, it just wasn't in the right account. That question has been answered.

I think the "D"H just wants to be a pain in the neck. Hopefully he will get over himself soon. I already suggested leaving hime home! :laughing: Although, no one noticed my other suggestion --buy him some "guy time" down there -- a Segway tour or a round of golf or something to help him relax on his well-deserved vacation.

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 01:20 PM
What is this? Sounds like fun!

DH printed out little Mickey Dollars and charts for each kiddo. They earn them for picking up toys, eating dinner, DD gets one if she uses the potty. It us fun... But they can lose them for poor behaviors too, biting is the big one right now for DD.

apnep
04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
DH printed out little Mickey Dollars and charts for each kiddo. They earn them for picking up toys, eating dinner, DD gets one if she uses the potty. It us fun... But they can lose them for poor behaviors too, biting is the big one right now for DD.

Well it sounds like he's not all bad! Sit down and chat with him a while and tell him how you feel. Maybe you'll get lucky and find out what he's thinking. ;)

Ang

rysmomma242
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
He really is an amazing guy, just overworked and stressed out. He does deserve some down time, hoping for a babysitter night so that we can go out just the two of us while at Disney.

wdwfan16
04-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Thanks

Indiana Rose Lee
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
He really is an amazing guy, just overworked and stressed out. He does deserve some down time, hoping for a babysitter night so that we can go out just the two of us while at Disney.

Is there any chance you can get a sitter soon? It sounds like some r and r is a necessity. Especially if he doesn't usually act like this.

maxiesmom
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
He needs to understand that HE is not the only one looking forward to or going on this trip! It just sounds like someone needs to put his big boy undies on and deal with it...sorry...JMO.:rolleyes1

I do hope it all works out for you.:hug:

AGREE!!! Tell your hubby to suck it up. His life isn't ruined. Sometimes businesses make mistakes, and Disney is a business above all. They fixed the mistake. Tell hubby to stop whining, put his big boy pants on, and get ready to go to Disney World.

secretpantssam
04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I would try to distract him for a few days and get his mind off of it and he'll probably forget about it and just have a good time on the vacation. Tell him you worked everything out and not to worry. Occasionally we all reach our breaking points over silly things and we can't see the forest for the trees. If he keeps worrying about it, he'll just keep getting mad...but if he steps back for a moment and calms down, he might realize later how silly he was to get all worked up.

Sometimes if I have a stressful week at work, something silly like this would get me unnecessarily worked up. He may just need some chill time, but I think you'll end up having a great vacation!

hrh_disney_queen
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM

How does her claiming she doesn't have an EXTRA $600 in her low interest savings/checking account to cover the check lead to an invitation to scrutinize her financial situation? She may not keep that much in that bank account, she may have a paid off mortgage, $50,000 in a money market, but I shouldn't speculate because it is NOMB! She didn't ask for financial advice about affording WDW, she asked how to fix a WDW/bank error, and was venting because she received no apology for it.

Now I see the marital advice is starting. :sad2:

Indiana Rose Lee
04-13-2010, 04:31 PM
You go, hrh!

DVCBELLE
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
How does her claiming she doesn't have an EXTRA $600 in her low interest savings/checking account to cover the check lead to an invitation to scrutinize her financial situation? She may not keep that much in that bank account, she may have a paid off mortgage, $50,000 in a money market, but I shouldn't speculate because it is NOMB! She didn't ask for financial advice about affording WDW, she asked how to fix a WDW/bank error, and was venting because she received no apology for it.

I agree

My DH gets mad over stupid things sometimes....

You never know what mught set someone off on an issue - hardly worth declaring her DH as controlling, their marriage in trouble and on the verge of financial ruin!

jagruti6
04-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Sounds like he wanted to go at some point. Maybe he is worried or stressed about something he hasn't yet shared with you? I think the bottle of wine is probably a good idea. Maybe after you get to the bottom of whats really bothering him just don't mention the vacation for a week or so. Give him some space maybe he'll come around.Hope it works out for you!

C.Ann
04-13-2010, 05:00 PM

:thumbsup2

Vacation Lover
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Everyone keeps saying that DH is a bully, but I totally see his side. They had a bad experience last time and he's probably has some qualms all along about the same thing happening again this time. Then the bank thing happened without even an apology from Disney and what would normally be a minor issue is magnified in his mind because of the previous experience.

OP, I would try calling one more time. Make sure you get a supervisor in customer relations. Say something like this:

We vacationed with you last year and have reservations this May. Last year we didn't have a great experience because (problem A) and (problem B--just give the 2 major problems, and don't overload them with details). I was able to talk my husband into giving Disney a try one more time for our daughter's birthday in May. Unfortunately we have already had a little problem come up: (explain overcharge issue). I realize you're doing everything you can to rectify the situation, but to my husband, that's simply not enough. He feels that this small error is an example of what is to come in our upcoming trip, and that, combined with the problems of the last trip, has caused him to want to cancel our trip. I'm doing everything I can to change his mind, and I'm asking you if there's anything you can do right now--not when/if we check in--to help me convince him to go. It doesn't have to be anything big; I'm just looking for something to show him that, yes, Disney does want our business.

You probably won't get the upgrade he's looking for, but maybe they'll send you something that says "sorry for your troubles." Good luck!

arihillfarm
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry, but you probably work your tush off just as hard being a SAHM. You are intitled to a vacation just as much as he does.
If money issues is the reason he doesn't want to go I can respect that. But if its just because he is bugged by the mistake, the only one he is punishing is you and your kids. I assure you Disney will go on without your family this year.
I will tell you if it was my hubby and he made me cancel this trip because "he just wasn't feeling it", it wouldn't be a very happy time for him going foward. If he was unhappy before, he would now be given a reason to be uhappy.
Who died and made him sole decision maker?

Edited my post as it seems it came off as attacking the OP's DH instead of my intention which was to share what I would do in this situation (which works for my DH and I, a snap back to reality of sorts) and also feeling frustration for the OP. Sorry....

-Astrid

RMOTHERHUBBARD
04-13-2010, 07:44 PM
A few years ago Disney Cruise line did a similar thing and charged us double what they should have. I went to my bank branch office explained what happenned and they handled everything. I gave the bank the disney information. It took about a week or so for the funds to show up in my checking account. However, the bank noted it in my bank file and I had no issues with overdraft fees or checks bouncing.

Vacation Lover
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
deleting post.... people are too nasty to my hubby.... not interested in their opinions anymore

If it's any consolation, I totally get where your DH is coming from (as I mentioned in my post above.) I see you're new to the DIS. People on these boards can be very opinionated. In some ways, that's good--you get a bunch of people giving you advice and looking at things in a way that you never would. Unfortunately you're also going to get some people who don't express themselves very diplomatically. Any time I post something here, I think to myself, these people do not know me; they can't hurt my feelings if I don't let them.

Good luck to you; I hope you can work things out and have a wonderful vacation. Please keep those of us who have actually tried to help (and not judge) you updated. :flower3:

cm8
04-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Call your bank 1st thing in the morning. Explain the situation and see if they can suggest any course of action. Or at least make them aware of the situation so they can possibly speed up the process on their end. Also, if your debit card is Visa or mastercard branded, aren't you protected against overcharges?

And to those who question whether OP should be going to WDW??!!:confused3 She didn't ask for an opinion on if she and her family should go to WDW. She asked what should she do about the overcharge. I know she mentioned the overdraft on the car payment, but really MYOB. She asked how to convince DH to go, not how to dissuade. Why does everybody have to be the money police?:confused3

:flower3:

SunnieRN
04-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Do you have a family member or friend that could watch the kiddos for a few hours, so you could have a date night this weekend?? The weather here is suposed to be awful, but if it will be nice where you are, you could pack a picnic, grab a bottle of wine and make an evening of it. Might help you both feel better!!

Everyone keeps saying that DH is a bully, but I totally see his side. They had a bad experience last time and he's probably has some qualms all along about the same thing happening again this time. Then the bank thing happened without even an apology from Disney and what would normally be a minor issue is magnified in his mind because of the previous experience.

OP, I would try calling one more time. Make sure you get a supervisor in customer relations. Say something like this:

We vacationed with you last year and have reservations this May. Last year we didn't have a great experience because (problem A) and (problem B--just give the 2 major problems, and don't overload them with details). I was able to talk my husband into giving Disney a try one more time for our daughter's birthday in May. Unfortunately we have already had a little problem come up: (explain overcharge issue). I realize you're doing everything you can to rectify the situation, but to my husband, that's simply not enough. He feels that this small error is an example of what is to come in our upcoming trip, and that, combined with the problems of the last trip, has caused him to want to cancel our trip. I'm doing everything I can to change his mind, and I'm asking you if there's anything you can do right now--not when/if we check in--to help me convince him to go. It doesn't have to be anything big; I'm just looking for something to show him that, yes, Disney does want our business.

You probably won't get the upgrade he's looking for, but maybe they'll send you something that says "sorry for your troubles." Good luck!

I love this advice, as if they would just send a card from Mickey or a coupon for a kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream, it would probably make a world of difference to the OP hubby! Rudeness, when you are spending your money at a business doesn't lead to most people being willing to return to that business.

That having been said, I find that Disney doesn't always care unfortunately. I am highly surprised that the OP has been so patient in trying to get this worked out in a way that will help her husband feel better about things!:thumbsup2

We had a financial mishap on our trip last year. It was over spring break and we had plans to go to Hoop De Doo one night. The morning before (Wed) we were scheduled (Thurs), my grandson got very ill. I also started running a very high temp.

I trudged down through the rain, at SS from Congress Park, to Bell Services, explained we had to cancel and why. "No problem," I was told. Got my cancellation number, was told, "Your account hasn't been charged, there is just a credit card hold.".

Well Friday morning there was $$$ for 4 adults and 1 child taken out of my checking account. Did I have enough money to cover it, yes. Did I want to have to wait 7-10 days for a refund, no. What made me cry (I was sick, remember??), is how rude the person from guest services was. Would it keep me from going back to Disney? Never! Was I ticked off by her attitude? Totally!!

I gave her the cancellation number and she told me I should have called Wed. night to make sure the cancellation went through. She was snarky, condescending and just plain rude. The topper is when she said "People like you always say you're sick, just because you decide not to go to something this expensive."

parkers*momma
04-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I gave her the cancellation number and she told me I should have called Wed. night to make sure the cancellation went through. She was snarky, condescending and just plain rude. The topper is when she said "People like you always say you're sick, just because you decide not to go to something this expensive."

At that point, I would have graciously asked to speak the the manager. There is no call for the type of attitude at any establishment. If the CM was having a crappy day or not, utter rudeness is unacceptable. I would have definitely relayed those words to a higher up right in front of the CM.

To the OP, welcome to Disboards...even with all the bumps and grinds that we display at times....it is a wonderful community. Ppl...including myself....tend to forget there is a living breathing person on the other side of the monitor that has feelings. As with any community (real time or net life) there are those who truly are helpful then there are the opinionated busy bodies. It looks as though this thread is an even balance of both.

My own beloved Dh as had moments like yours. There is NOTHING wrong with my marriage, there is nothing wrong with my DH, there is no underlaying problem. It was simply a bad situation that put top on the topper of the day. He isn't a bully, he doesn't need to put on his big boy pants, he isn't a bad man...he just had enough at that moment and Disney was the last straw. Take what is said here with a grain of salt!

First and foremost...being one that has had a terrible vacation at WDW (:scared1: at Disney?!?! Say it isn't so!!!!). Those bad moments does affect the memories we thrive for while at WDW or a day at the park with our children. Yes, Disney did a "My Bad" moment. Yes, your DH has every right to be upset. And personally, I feel Disney has forgotten why Disney was built. Yes, it is a business and luckily for them the competition isn't there. Because if it was, they wouldn't be so apt to blow off their mistakes. Can you imagine your local store acting like as the above CM or not at least apologizing for a $600 blunder. Heck no, they value their customers because they know the competition will gladly accept your business. Luckily for them (and they know it) We will be back vacation after vacation because they have cornered the market on this type of venue. (come on guys lets face it, universal will NEVER be another WDW)

Knowing all this...having a crappy vacation...their attitude at times...honest blunders without a simply apology keep me (all of us) away...HECK NO! Does it (and Disboards with all it's wonderful post trips and hints/secrets) make me (all of us) into ODC planners...OMG YES! Disney is Disney...as is a day at the park a day at the park...memories are why we do things with our families. Personally, after our first crappy vacation...I literally had to drag Dh to yet another WDW trip. The 2nd trip started out on eggshells for the first day or so...he was looking for problems...trying to point out things that was wrong and I totally ignored him...he could have been talking to the wall as far as I was concerned. But guess what....by day two/three he was caught up in our excitement and had the time of his life.

If you can, point out what all it is going to cost him. Not just the $200 for cancelling within the 45 day mark, but the broken hearts of the children and yourself as it sounds he was at one point looking forward to the trip(the Disney Chart he found-which BTW, I would love to know where he found this). Don't say or do anything for a while....Give him cool down time, give him time to see how disappointed everyone is....and hopefully you won't have to drag him kicking and screaming to the airport. If you do, just remember the excitement/fun you and your babies display is very contagious at WDW. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

And please...don't let the naysayers keep you from the boards....it is a great place....opinionated and all!

Indiana Rose Lee
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
op, don't let what others think phase you. good luck with your husband and disney and the banks. banks are from satan...

trtl6941
04-14-2010, 07:42 AM
[/B]

At that point, I would have graciously asked to speak the the manager. There is no call for the type of attitude at any establishment. If the CM was having a crappy day or not, utter rudeness is unacceptable. I would have definitely relayed those words to a higher up right in front of the CM.

To the OP, welcome to Disboards...even with all the bumps and grinds that we display at times....it is a wonderful community. Ppl...including myself....tend to forget there is a living breathing person on the other side of the monitor that has feelings. As with any community (real time or net life) there are those who truly are helpful then there are the opinionated busy bodies. It looks as though this thread is an even balance of both.

My own beloved Dh as had moments like yours. There is NOTHING wrong with my marriage, there is nothing wrong with my DH, there is no underlaying problem. It was simply a bad situation that put top on the topper of the day. He isn't a bully, he doesn't need to put on his big boy pants, he isn't a bad man...he just had enough at that moment and Disney was the last straw. Take what is said here with a grain of salt!

First and foremost...being one that has had a terrible vacation at WDW (:scared1: at Disney?!?! Say it isn't so!!!!). Those bad moments does affect the memories we thrive for while at WDW or a day at the park with our children. Yes, Disney did a "My Bad" moment. Yes, your DH has every right to be upset. And personally, I feel Disney has forgotten why Disney was built. Yes, it is a business and luckily for them the competition isn't there. Because if it was, they wouldn't be so apt to blow off their mistakes. Can you imagine your local store acting like as the above CM or not at least apologizing for a $600 blunder. Heck no, they value their customers because they know the competition will gladly accept your business. Luckily for them (and they know it) We will be back vacation after vacation because they have cornered the market on this type of venue. (come on guys lets face it, universal will NEVER be another WDW)

Knowing all this...having a crappy vacation...their attitude at times...honest blunders without a simply apology keep me (all of us) away...HECK NO! Does it (and Disboards with all it's wonderful post trips and hints/secrets) make me (all of us) into ODC planners...OMG YES! Disney is Disney...as is a day at the park a day at the park...memories are why we do things with our families. Personally, after our first crappy vacation...I literally had to drag Dh to yet another WDW trip. The 2nd trip started out on eggshells for the first day or so...he was looking for problems...trying to point out things that was wrong and I totally ignored him...he could have been talking to the wall as far as I was concerned. But guess what....by day two/three he was caught up in our excitement and had the time of his life.

If you can, point out what all it is going to cost him. Not just the $200 for cancelling within the 45 day mark, but the broken hearts of the children and yourself as it sounds he was at one point looking forward to the trip(the Disney Chart he found-which BTW, I would love to know where he found this). Don't say or do anything for a while....Give him cool down time, give him time to see how disappointed everyone is....and hopefully you won't have to drag him kicking and screaming to the airport. If you do, just remember the excitement/fun you and your babies display is very contagious at WDW. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

And please...don't let the naysayers keep you from the boards....it is a great place....opinionated and all!

EXCELLENT post!!!

Shreggor
04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Normally, I would agree. If a person is that freaked out over $600 making or breaking them, they should not be taking luxury vacations to WDW 2 years in a row. I also don't think that "because it's dd's bday" is a good excuse for anyone to blow money they don't have or to blow a windfall they could use better elsewhere.

HOWEVER… we don't know that that is the case here. I actually suspect it is not the case. Irresponsible people tend to not pay for their trips in cash.

Most people don't keep all their money in a checking account. It's better to keep it in a savings, money market, cd etc. I know I keep most of my cash in a higher interest savings account that is not super fast to transfer money out of. My paychecks are direct deposited into my checking account. I keep enough in there to cover bills, checks, day to day expenses etc. but the vast majority of it goes to the savings.

I do try to keep a bit extra in there to cover potential issues like this, but it would never occur to me to keep enough in there to cover all my bills two times over in case a bank duplicates (or triplicates) a payment.

A $600 banking error in a checking account can have a ripple effect. If that bounces, then fees can cause other things to bounce. Problems take a lot longer to fix than to create with banking errors. It's very annoying.

I bought a bottle of wine for $15 once at a small store. I used my debit card. Their machine went haywire and took the $15 out SIX times. That's $90. For cheap wine. It took a month to resolve. Luckily I didn't have anything bounce as it was a small sum of cash…but what if I'd been buying an actual $90 bottle of wine? Then it would have been $540. What if I'd been stocking up for a party and my original transaction had been over $100? Yikes.

No wonder her husband is mad. I'd be mad too. But I also realize (cause it's happened before) that it's usually not the fault of the store running the card.

This is why using debit cards is risky. Credit cards are not the devil when used properly and responsibly. If a person has the self control to use credit wisely, it's always better to pay for large purchases with credit cards. That way, when something like this inevitably happens, you have protection and don't need to access the funds for other things, such as making car payments.

Regarding bad trips to Disney… My last trip was so horrible that WDW customer relations saw fit to give me a comp'd 3 night 3 day stay at a deluxe resort and 2 3 day park hoppers as compensation. I won't get into all the details, but it involved having drunk people throwing glass all over the place near our room, smoking and loud parties at all hours in not one, but two rooms we were placed next to at CSR, being lied to about where we were being moved in the middle of the night (and being downgraded but not reimbursed) and just generally losing 3 days of our trip to resort related nonsense. Bad trips can and do happen.