PDA

View Full Version : Guilt over couponing...??? Am I the only one...

S&K
04-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't know what it is...maybe it's the rolling eyes, the long sighs, the calling over a manager or what, but I just stared to really get into couponing, and I feel guilty for using them? I feel like they seem bothered, or they think I'm obtaining something illegally. Has anyone else felt this way? More importantly how do I get over it! I love saving for my family for Disney...but...?

Jen_in_NH
04-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I just started couponing seriously last year. One of the grocery stores I shop at is awesome, and the cashiers will even tell you about great deals they've seen others doing. The other store makes you feel like you're stealing from them. I've very careful that my coupons are for exactly what I'm buying, and that I have the right number of things, etc. You can probably guess which store gets my business.

Have you checked out www.afullcup.com There are a lot of expert couponers on there :)

Purseval
04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
If merchandisers didn't want you to use coupons they wouldn't print them. Nothing to feel guilty about. We don't use many coupons mainly because most of the generics we buy come out cheaper than the discounted price.

MagiKitty
04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
There have been times where I've been given an attitude or received comments of looks for using many coupons (yes, I'm THAT person in your grocery store! :thumbsup2). And yes, I've felt a little embarrassed or put out by it. But ultimately, when I look at the receipt and see how much I saved, I feel triumphant! :thumbsup2 More money in my wallet!

You're not stealing. Coupons are out there to encourage you to buy certain items, or try a new item. Coupons are doing their job. And grocery stores are getting business by some people because of coupons and sales. Its a win-win.

I once had a cashier give me an attitude when the coupon I was trying to use (right product, non-expired) wouldn't scan properly. I told her to reach into her pocket and give me the $1 that would equal my coupon's value. When put like that, she called the manager over and figured out how to scan that coupon! :lmao:

S&K
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you for your replies! I do feel a little better. I have become "that person in line" too over the last week! Today, my receipts were 74%, 88%, 89%, 89%, and 100% savings, and my big shop was 51% savings...saved $84, spent $83. I guess I should be proud of the hard work that it takes and is saving my family. But it's like you said about telling the clerk to take it out of her pocket and give it to you...it's not their money...NOR is it even the store's money...they get reimbursed from the manufacturer. Anyway...thanks guys!!!

waynesgirl
04-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I never feel guilty-especially when I put the money I saved with coupons into my savings account for vacation.:thumbsup2

I always use couponmom.com to find extra coupons for those Buy 1 Get 1 sales, and the double coupons at my local store help a lot. I use coupons at department stores, grocery stores, and even warehouse stores.

Don't feel guilty-be proud to be among the select few, the proud, the thrifty-minded shoppers!!!

PaulaSue
04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
You will learn which stores and cashiers who are coupon friendly. Watch what you do (only legal stuff and watch exp dates, etc) and keep your chin up. Sometimes it takes longer but just think of the money you are saving for your family.

For example, Kmart today...you can only use 5 coupons to double this week. I did the buy $15 Dove and recieve $5 off next purchase deal. I bought 1 shampoo, 2 conditioners, 1 deo. Total was well over $15 more like $17.25ish. I used 3 shampoo/cond coupons and 1 deo coupon, all doubled PLUS I bought another coupon organizer (had a $2 coupon from another purchase to use up from earlier this week). My total after coupons was $7 something. The coupon didn't print so I had to wait at the service desk for 10 minutes but I got my $5 for next time so well worth it to use coupons (In the right way :goodvibes)

MagiKitty
04-09-2010, 08:22 PM
OMG that is so true. I do have a favorite cashier. Always really friendly and appreciative of all my coupons. It just adds to the atmosphere of going to the grocery, getting good deals, and feeling great about it!

S&K
04-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Do you also sometimes find that the clerks will try and rush through, and then you go ahead and pay (after feeling guilty for holding the line up) to only look at your receipt and noticed that either 3 stuck together or she/he didn't scan 2 of your coupons? I noticed that happened at Target today. Fortunately I look at the receipt before leaving the counter, she counted the receipts before throwing them in the drawer, and then told me to go to customer service to get a refund for the coupons not taken off...? Guess I really need to pay attention at the register, too.

sydneysmom
04-09-2010, 08:30 PM
No way do I feel guilty !! I have to say, for a while I think I embarrassed my DH until I told him about how much per month we were saving..... usually on food shopping we average $ 100-150 savings. So no, no guilt or shame here.
You have to do what you have to do for your family.....money is too precious right now!:thumbsup2 Plus, saving money helps us to be able to treat ourselves sometimes to other things. :yay:

MagiKitty
04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Things happen all the time, whether its the cashier or the scanner. And most times, its ME! I do try to keep an eye on things and have no problem getting a price adjustment if need be. You do have to pay attention that you got the right item and that it matches the coupons. Also don't forget that sometimes you can find coupons on the items itself, or in the aisles. I also try to check for bottles/boxes with an extra % free (like shampoo) that gives me more bang for my couponed buck!

shoney
04-09-2010, 09:11 PM
LOL I don't coupon and I feel guilty! When I check out and the women says "Do you have coupons??" I always say no and feel bad that I don't! I think I am going to get couponing...cause I rather feel bad saving a buck than not! Keep saving and forget whatever anybody else thinks!!!

beansmom
04-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't feel a BIT guilty altho Dh always tells me he expects me to be arrested any day for my 'illegal activities'. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I just tell him it's more of a crime to be stupid than to save money.

And if someone behind me gives me guff, I just look at them and say 'if it was your money, you'd want them to be right, too'.

Save, save, save!

cm8
04-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't feel guilty, I feel "smart". It is so wonderful to have the extra money for something that we may need later. Just shake them"haters" off,:rotfl:

LoriNSC
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't feel guilty. I have had rude people behind me in line making comments. But, that's ok because I can walk out w/ a smile on my face since I saved so much $$$. They are the ones frowning when they walk out. :lmao:I am a full time nursing student, only DH works now & we have 3 kids. So, no I don't feel guilty about supporting my family by saving the $$. It'll get easier for you-just hang in there & don't give up!:thumbsup2

flamingglobessigmund
04-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't know what it is...maybe it's the rolling eyes, the long sighs, the calling over a manager or what, but I just stared to really get into couponing, and I feel guilty for using them? I feel like they seem bothered, or they think I'm obtaining something illegally. Has anyone else felt this way? More importantly how do I get over it! I love saving for my family for Disney...but...?

I've been couponing, bringing my binder (baseball card holders) of coupons into stores for 3 years now. I don't feel guilty about couponing unless it' me who flummoxed.

About a month ago, I lost a high value coupon, $1.50 for the new Dawn, at Target. Some of my coupons were beeping and the cashier was just skimming over them. I was already home, 10 miles away, when I looked at my receipt to see she didn't bother to fix that $1.50 that beeped. I was kicking myself for awhile after that.

Since then, I am very diligent. I will count how many coupons I have in my hand, and add up their values so when I get my receipt, I know they've all gone through correctly. And I check my receipt before leaving the store.

Today I had 17 coupons, adding up to $18.xx. And you better believe I pulled the cart over to the side and check to make sure, before leaving the store.

My little couponing hobby has allowed us to stretch the money that is earned. I guess if there's any guilt to be assuaged, it's in knowing that because of saving with coupons, we were able to go to WDW, from NM. :wizard:

gulf breeze
04-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I try to warn the people who get in line behind me that I've got coupons and comp. adds! LOL Then I really try to watch the read out because I noticed on a 5.00 coupon that it beeped but never "took". You know you had a good day when the cashier tells you that you did good!:thumbsup2 One of the biggest money savers you can do is to check you reciept! After all my hard work with the coupons I checked over the reciept when I got to my car and found out I'd been charged the full price and the comp. price for something and overcharged for something that was on a price rollback. Went to the service desk and got back almost 8 dollars! This is almost a weekly thing so be sure and look yours over.

Sagginit
04-09-2010, 11:50 PM
i just recently learned how to stack coupons on this board. i felt stupid the first time i tried at walgreens and the cashier wouldnt let me stack the store coupon with the manufactuers. the manager came over and was so annoyed he told her to just give me the money out of the register and he would figure it out later. i tried again at the foodstore last week and walked out with free items with no problems so have decided its worth the trouble.

i think the only time to feel guilty is when you do something decietful, like you know a coupon is for one item but you go to the "dumb cashier" with another item and pass it off as that. those cashiers are people and they may get in trouble for other people lies so i would never do that.

Evi
04-10-2010, 02:14 AM
ok here is my take on it. I use coupons but I only buy the things that I need and use regularly. I'm not one to just buy something because its cheap or new. It has to be something I use regularly. Now here is the thing I hate, I hate when store employees act like your ripping off the store because you got such a great deal and when I get that attitude I stand my ground ask for a manager, remind the person that the coupons are put out by the manufacturer and tell them that they can buy the paper also. When someone sucks there teeth and complains if I truly have a ton and they have one or two items I let them go infront of me, otherwise tuff luck. Such is life.
If you've ever been to a sample sale in nyc you know first come first serve and who ever made it to the register first wins. lol I don't know why I thought about that but trust me if chanel was giving out coupons they would step on you for them and make you wait hours inline so just ignore the remarks and enjoy your savings.

smidgy
04-10-2010, 05:24 AM
I use both store and manufacturers coupons. however, I always let the people behind me with just a few items go ahead.
there is no express aisle at ALdis, but there was a long line, a girl was buying one dozen eggs, so I let her in front ofme. the people behind me got irritated! the lady in front of me (with a months worth of groceries) didn't let her go in front.... common sense, people.

tinkmom2
04-10-2010, 07:03 AM
My store doesn't have a shopping card but has really low prices. I use about $10-$20 in coupons everytime. My bill is about $100 a week. I don't feel guilty at alll about using coupons. I feel smart about it. Especially when I see the person in front of me spending double of what I have. To me it's dumb not to take advantage of coupons.
I make the most out of my coupons by not being brand loyal. My store doesn't have a flyer either. If people want to make a stink about me using coupons they can always go to another register.
The thing that bugs me is no stores in my area will take internet coupons.
I hate when cashiers scrutinize your coupons. It's not their money it's money given to the store by manufactures.

beansmom
04-10-2010, 09:30 AM
ok here is my take on it. I use coupons but I only buy the things that I need and use regularly. I'm not one to just buy something because its cheap or new. It has to be something I use regularly. .

And I DO use coupons to try new things...or buy things I normally would not buy. Not that I would not USE but would not buy. That's why I never calculate the 'store savings'...coz, frankly, if it ain't on sale, most of the time I ain't buyin it so that really saves me nothing.

I used $5 coupons and a sale price to purchase the new Lysol No-Touch soap dispensers. Could I have lived without it? Yes...surely. Am I now a convert? OH, YES! They are sooo great for the kitchen...no more greasy soap dispensers.

So, I do try new things as well as my tried and true...but only at a discount!

poohbear158
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I never feel guilty using coupons. I love using coupons and I don't care who knows it. I've never really had anyone moan or roll eyes at me while I was using coupons, but if they did... too darn bad. Maybe if they watched instead of rolling their eyes.. they would actually see how much money they could be saving by using coupons too. I buy things with coupons that we use all the time and new things that I've been wanting to try. Heck, even if I don't use an item... if I can get for free I still usually get it then donate it.

You will get over the eye rolling and moaning real quick once you see the savings on your receipt or maybe when your enjoying your Disney vacation with the money you saved by using coupons on everyday items.

shalom
04-10-2010, 11:06 AM

I used to use coupons all the time and never got any grief, but I do think some stores are cooler about it than others. At this point I think I do better cooking more from scratch and using other methods than coupons, but it just depends on your lifestyle. We still use coupons for a few things if we run across one but I don't spend much time on it anymore.

My MIL used coupons, but she also regularly tried to pass expired coupons and otherwise cheat the system. :rolleyes: It may be that some stores have more people like that than others, and I know I'd get a little ticked having to deal with coupons if a fair percentage of people were using them the way she sometimes did. :mad:

S&K
04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
THANK YOU!!! (She types as she clips her newly printed coupons while matching bargains for next weeks shop!) :rotfl:

jrnunzio3
04-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I have been couponing for years (my dad taught me when I was young). I love it. I keep track of my savings and when I show my husband that my couponing has paid for our yearly Disney trip and then some, he is so happy. I sometimes have the grumpy people behind me, but that is their problem. I love saving the money. Just finished cutting my coupons from Dad's house and putting them together with the sales this week.

OP keep up the good work and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. They could be doing the same thing and saving a ton on their shopping, they just choose not to. Congratulations on choosing to save money for your family.
Jenny

PatsMom
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I never feel guilty for using coupons. I know I hold up the line sometimes but that is the way life is. I like to save money. I was raised by my mother to shop the sales, clip my coupons and be thrifty. I also shop re-sale stores and yard sales.

The money I save enables us to vacation, help out our adult children and grandson with a few things, and still add to retirement savings. We are ahead of where we planned to be since my husband retired 7 years ago and we've been able to live on my income, his pension and now social security, and even add to my retirement fund. We thought we would be spending his retirement savings by now! But thrifty habits and a few coupons have helped us not to do that.

So don't feel bad if you hold up the line. If you get a snippy cashier, avoid his or her line if you can. Watch for the coupon friendly stores. My CVS used to have an awful cashier who acted like you were stealing if you had a coupon. He is no longer there and the usual Sunday afternoon cashier is always happy when you get a good deal!

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I used to use coupons all the time and never got any grief, but I do think some stores are cooler about it than others. At this point I think I do better cooking more from scratch and using other methods than coupons, but it just depends on your lifestyle. We still use coupons for a few things if we run across one but I don't spend much time on it anymore.

My MIL used coupons, but she also regularly tried to pass expired coupons and otherwise cheat the system. :rolleyes: It may be that some stores have more people like that than others, and I know I'd get a little ticked having to deal with coupons if a fair percentage of people were using them the way she sometimes did. :mad:

That is me, I like to cook from scratch. The only thing I ever see coupons for is junk food and I won't do it, even to save money. I wish I could find coupons for meat and fresh fruit and veggies. I hate frozen pizzas, I won't buy cookies, (make only home made stuff). I don't use frozen meals either. I guess I am out of luck. Oh well, guess I just have to scrimp in other areas.

Dizneydaz
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I do love to coupon but don't use them as much as I probably should. Sometimes I will send my DM to the store with the coupons and a list and she'll come back with only getting about 1/2 the items. She says it's not worth the aggravation! :confused3 There aren't any markets here that double, that would be great! I tend to use the larger coupons. Used the $16 coupon for Twilight last week-got it for $1-great deal!

I use coupons more at restaurants than any where else. I've gotten to the point that I hate to go to a restaurant without a coupon, or at least a deal!

No, I don't feel guilty.;)

waynesgirl
04-10-2010, 01:19 PM
That is me, I like to cook from scratch. The only thing I ever see coupons for is junk food and I won't do it, even to save money. I wish I could find coupons for meat and fresh fruit and veggies. I hate frozen pizzas, I won't buy cookies, (make only home made stuff). I don't use frozen meals either. I guess I am out of luck. Oh well, guess I just have to scrimp in other areas.

I'm lucky-the Publix here almost has a cheering section for coupon users, and they run a lot of special coupons for $ off veggies and meat. They do double coupons and such...

I too try to cook fresh and healthy-but both myself and my DH work (he's overnight; I am day shift) so the frozen pizzas and such make their way in the door. I cook a homemade meal at least 3 days per week and though I might use some processed frozen things, I try my best to mix it with fresh salads, a few fresh veggies cut up and tossed in for extra vitamins, and always make sure that they go outside to play some of those calories off when it is warm (or with the Wii when it is cold).

Coupons help save money on the sliced meats, low-fat snacks and chips, and the powdered drink mixes my kids use for school everyday (school lunch is expensive!!) as well as the Breyer's ice cream that my DH adores. They also save money on the INSANE amount of detergent I go through with 2 DD's at home and a DS who can't go outside without getting filthy.;)

It doesn't fit everyone's lifestyle, but for me it has helped lower my grocery bills by over $150.00 every month, and when I go to Target and JCPenny, and can save over 50% on clothes and such, it really helps me with growing kids.

So long as you aren't the grouchy one behind me, it's all good if you don't use coupons. And I salute everyone on this board that can make a fresh meal every night-I'm jealous! Especially if you can get your spouse to clean up afterwards!!!

Aimeedyan
04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I only feel bad when they don't have another register open and I am holding up the only one open. But really, that's not my fault but I still feel bad.

I will say that couponing doesn't work well with our lifestyle but I do use them on occasion. 99% of coupons in my area are for processed foods which I don't buy. I DO use coupons for restaurants a LOT. Occasionally I'll find coupons for cheese or pasta that I'll use but it's rare for me to have a stack of coupons. Just not the stuff we eat.

(I have starting CVSing and it's rare for them to have more than one register open so I do hold up the line a little... I try to go when it's dead in there so I don't)

poohbear158
04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
What does cooking from scratch have to do with using coupons? There are coupons for everything... heath & beauty, pet supplies, household products etc. For example, I don't think I have paid for toothpaste or deodorant (just to name a few items) in over 3 years thanks to coupons. To each there own on how people choose to spend or not spend money. I choose to not spend money on products that I can get for free or close to free by using coupons.

MagiKitty
04-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Poohbear, I have to agree with you. I think that there are some misconceptions about couponing and what you can get for it. You can get perfectly healthy foods with coupons! There are organic items, frozen veggies, breads, and the items you need to cook with from scratch, like spices, condiments and cooking oil. My grocery has its own coupons for milk, fruits and veggies, and rarely meats/seafood.

I don't think I've ever paid full price for toiletries. There are too many good coupons out there. And if there's a practically free item that I won't be using, I always donate it to someone who can use it.

Ultimately, its about choice. I've heard people claim they can't be bothered, its too time consuming, its embarrassing, its for unhealthy processed foods....you can find coupons for what you use, or want to try, if you want to. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle, maybe there are other ways you can budget. But for me, coupons is part of my lifestyle and budget and is a source of pride for my effort and savings.

S&K
04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
You all have made me feel sooo much better! Yeah! I'm not alone!

I do A LOT of cooking from scratch...we rarely eat out because our kiddos can't sit still and not pester one another for long enough so needless to say, I am REALLY looking to dining out in DW where there are kids everywhere and I don't have to cook for one whole week!

I do feel like this couponing is going to be addictive though...now that you all are helping me get over my guilt! I have a competitive edge from back in school sports, and I sort of feel like I can make a game out of finding good deals, planning my weekly menu according to sales, etc. Does anyone else do this?

Also, I felt a bit of urgency as I would pull into the parking lot of the stores...as if EVERYONE was there to get the same deals as I was and that they could actually be GONE when I got there! SO SILLY!!!

MagiKitty
04-10-2010, 03:46 PM
S&K...if it ever does happen that the deal is sold out..don't forget to go to customer service and get a raincheck!

Couponing feels like a game to me too...but competing with myself! I too look at what's on sale and how can I cook that up? What's my new recipe going to be using this stuff? I've found some great new food combos this way...

cheerforchelsea
04-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I have discovered that after you turn 50 - you don't care what anybody thinks!!

S&K
04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
You know, I asked Walmart about that the other day regarding the $17.00 copy of Twilight New Moon, and the electronics department personnel said they don't give rainchecks!!! ??? Anyway...I just drove to a different Walmart that had one in stock, but I thought everyone had to do that? Thanks for the tip though, because I do forget to think about asking!

Good point about not caring when you turn 50...only 12 1/2 years to try to not care what anyone thinks! My husband says he's alread there with that theory, and he's 41!

simonsmom
04-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I encounter cashiers that act like I am a thief. it is very annoying but my coupons are all valid,in date,and I am buying the stuff. The store does get reimbursed + gets a fee on top of the price. I just try to avoid those cashiers in the future. I would rather wait in line a few extra minutes then have a nasty cashier.

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
What does cooking from scratch have to do with using coupons? There are coupons for everything... heath & beauty, pet supplies, household products etc. For example, I don't think I have paid for toothpaste or deodorant (just to name a few items) in over 3 years thanks to coupons. To each there own on how people choose to spend or not spend money. I choose to not spend money on products that I can get for free or close to free by using coupons.

I wasn't insulting you, I don't care how people cook, I am just saying that I don't find any food coupons that I can use. Also it seems that I very rarely can find coupons for what I use. Sorry if that offends you. Also the dog food I use never has coupons, I get it from a pet store. However I do get a free one after I buy 10 bags. But at the same time I won't use a coupon for a product that I don't use, been there and done that, I have wasted more money than I have saved probably because I am so brand specific.

Now if you can tell me where I can get coupons for meat and fruit and veggies. I will use them.

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Poohbear, I have to agree with you. I think that there are some misconceptions about couponing and what you can get for it. You can get perfectly healthy foods with coupons! There are organic items, frozen veggies, breads, and the items you need to cook with from scratch, like spices, condiments and cooking oil. My grocery has its own coupons for milk, fruits and veggies, and rarely meats/seafood.

I don't think I've ever paid full price for toiletries. There are too many good coupons out there. And if there's a practically free item that I won't be using, I always donate it to someone who can use it.

Ultimately, its about choice. I've heard people claim they can't be bothered, its too time consuming, its embarrassing, its for unhealthy processed foods....you can find coupons for what you use, or want to try, if you want to. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle, maybe there are other ways you can budget. But for me, coupons is part of my lifestyle and budget and is a source of pride for my effort and savings.

Glad you get coupons for all of those thing. True I do get cooking oil, but how often do you have to buy that, and yes I do use those. But I have never seen a coupon in my area for meat of seafood, mil or fruit. On sale, sure, but not real coupons. I would love to use them and I have no problem with people that do use them, I just personally can't that many that apply to me and what I use.

hffmnheidi
04-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Since I've been out of work on medical leave, coupons are my new best friend. I don't walk into Hobby Lobby or Michaels without one.

shalom
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I salute everyone on this board that can make a fresh meal every night-I'm jealous! Especially if you can get your spouse to clean up afterwards!!!

Hubby doesn't clean much, but he does cook. :goodvibes So do my sons. However, you don't want to see the kitchen after. :scared1: Eldest daughter cleans really well - I think because she hopes that if she does a good job of that, then I won't ask her to cook! :rotfl:

Also it seems that I very rarely can find coupons for what I use.

Some of it depends on where you live. When we lived in the Denver area we could get some things so cheaply with coupons it made no sense to make them from scratch, because they'd double coupons, combine coupons, allowed coupons with sales, etc. etc. I don't think I made brownies or a cake from scratch the whole time we lived there. Coupons were also easy to get hold of - both papers had major coupon inserts and the local stores offered coupons on their products as well. You could often combine a coupon with a local sale on the same item. Where we're at now coupons are harder to get and not nearly so useful once you get them, at least in terms of what we buy.

When it comes to stuff like cooking oil or laundry detergent or most other staples, even with coupons it's hard here to find a better deal than the store brand or a sale peculiar to that store. Aside from new products, the only coupons we use very often are for a couple of things where we prefer the brand name, for whatever reason. Cat food, mostly. But also hubby shops at four different stores regularly and somehow manages to remember the best prices on dozens of things at every one of them, and a couple of them have big sales on their store brand products every year. And prices in general are lower here, so it balances out.

DisneyMama409
04-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Im not going to lie I get annoyed when I have a woman in front of me spending 10 minutes nickel and diming with her coupons saving 20 cents here and 50 cents there. Im like hurry up lady we got places to go ! That being said to each their own . If it makes you happy go for it just have your stuff in order so you're not wasting even more time.

shalom
04-10-2010, 05:24 PM
If it makes you happy go for it just have your stuff in order so you're not wasting even more time.

I admit I groan when I see someone at the check out pull out a 2"thick wad of coupons while saying, "Wait, I know I have a coupon for that somewhere!" right when the cashier's about to ring something out. Especially back in the days when said someone was my then-fiance. :lmao: But most people who use coupons have them ready to go when they get to the cashier and that never bothers me.

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Hubby doesn't clean much, but he does cook. :goodvibes So do my sons. However, you don't want to see the kitchen after. :scared1: Eldest daughter cleans really well - I think because she hopes that if she does a good job of that, then I won't ask her to cook! :rotfl:

Some of it depends on where you live. When we lived in the Denver area we could get some things so cheaply with coupons it made no sense to make them from scratch, because they'd double coupons, combine coupons, allowed coupons with sales, etc. etc. I don't think I made brownies or a cake from scratch the whole time we lived there. Coupons were also easy to get hold of - both papers had major coupon inserts and the local stores offered coupons on their products as well. You could often combine a coupon with a local sale on the same item. Where we're at now coupons are harder to get and not nearly so useful once you get them, at least in terms of what we buy.

When it comes to stuff like cooking oil or laundry detergent or most other staples, even with coupons it's hard here to find a better deal than the store brand or a sale peculiar to that store. Aside from new products, the only coupons we use very often are for a couple of things where we prefer the brand name, for whatever reason. Cat food, mostly. But also hubby shops at four different stores regularly and somehow manages to remember the best prices on dozens of things at every one of them, and a couple of them have big sales on their store brand products every year. And prices in general are lower here, so it balances out.

Oh man , I remember those wonderful double coupons. Again in my area they don't do that. I do have to correct one thing that I said, I will use brownie mixes, I have tried but mine just aren't as good, so I buy those when they are bogo, which is quite often. my kids do like my home made cake better than a box. I agree with you on all the other stuff, I always try and buy things on sale.

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Since I've been out of work on medical leave, coupons are my new best friend. I don't walk into Hobby Lobby or Michaels without one.

I am SOOOOOO creatively challenged that those stores don't apply to me. lol

poohbear158
04-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm not offended. I was just pointing out that there are other things to use coupons for ... not just food. I do not buy my dog food in a grocery store either, but there are others that do. I was just using those items as examples. I buy my dog food (Nature's Recipe) at Petco or Petsmart and they have coupons for being a members (get $5 off $25, or $10 off $50 etc. usually sent via email) and they take manufacturer coupons. Just about every stores accepts coupons in one way or another.

I wasn't insulting you, I don't care how people cook, I am just saying that I don't find any food coupons that I can use. Also it seems that I very rarely can find coupons for what I use. Sorry if that offends you. Also the dog food I use never has coupons, I get it from a pet store. However I do get a free one after I buy 10 bags. But at the same time I won't use a coupon for a product that I don't use, been there and done that, I have wasted more money than I have saved probably because I am so brand specific.

Now if you can tell me where I can get coupons for meat and fruit and veggies. I will use them.

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm not offended. I was just pointing out that there are other things to use coupons for ... not just food. I do not buy my dog food in a grocery store either, but there are others that do. I was just using those items as examples. I buy my dog food (Nature's Recipe) at Petco or Petsmart and they have coupons for being a members (get $5 off $25, or $10 off $50 etc. usually sent via email) and they take manufacturer coupons. Just about every stores accepts coupons in one way or another.

I shop at Petco too, my dog eats Royal canin, I would love coupons for it, that stuff is expensive, but other brands seem to upset his tummy. (nothing like giving a dog a bath at 11:30pm cause his runny poop just caught caught in his fur) TMI isn't it. lol

flamingglobessigmund
04-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Psst...wine tags (where you can find coupons for meat, fruit, and a veggies-Many times, you don't even have to purchase the wine.)

Also, many of the companies you buy from will send out coupons when you sign up for their websites, like Earthbound Farms.

rumrunnergirl
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM

MagiKitty
04-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow, thanks for the wine tags tip! My store doesn't have a wine section but once in a while I'm in another area that does. I'll have to check. How exciting!

rumrunnergirl
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Psst...wine tags (where you can find coupons for meat, fruit, and a veggies-Many times, you don't even have to purchase the wine.)

Also, many of the companies you buy from will send out coupons when you sign up for their websites, like Earthbound Farms.

Wee I guess if I have to go to the wine section and possibly buy some and then I obviously have to consume wine, just to get the coupons I will try that. lol. Seriously, thanks, I never looked there.

mhsjax
04-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Since you are in Jax, check out the Publix organic magazine - there are coupons in there if you eat organic. You can also get on mailing lists of companies who have products you like. You can write/email them and have them send you coupons. I have seen many posts by people who eat organic/uber healthy and they use coupons.

If you want coupons for milk, produce, meat, etc. then check the wine section. Sometimes they have coupons that are NWPN (no wine purchase necessary) hanging on the bottles. They are the top of the line coupons in the coupon world. :)

The best thing to keep you motivated when you start using coupons - write down your savings! And not the store savings because everyone gets those - just the coupon savings. There are no double coupons here, but I do my best to save. Last month I saved $163.31, in Feb. I saved $128.59, in Jan. I saved $162.82. That money can get your vacation fund going strong.

thanks for all your info. And I don't want to give the wrong impression, I am by no means uber healthy eater. I just like to make my own. For one reason, hubby is borderline diabetic and I have high blood pressure, so I feel like I a=can get a better handle on things if I make them myself. I do eat organic sometimes, but that is because frankly I think it tastes better, jury is still out on how much healthier it is in my book.

And for the record, I have no problem waiting behid someone with a lot of coupons, good for them. I hope that in the future I will be able to find more that fit my needs. I am a cheapskate by nature and I dont consider that an insult.

rumrunnergirl
04-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Colleen27
04-10-2010, 06:10 PM

That's my problem too. I see these threads about 50+% savings on grocery trips using coupons, and I wonder if I'm just getting the wrong paper or something. :confused3 Once in a while I'll catch one for something we like, but for the most part they seem to be for processed/convenience foods that I don't buy. I save enough on TP, soap and shampoo to justify my Sunday-only subscription to the newspaper, but that's about it.

DaniB
04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Where do you all get the coupons from? That's a huge savings but I never seem to get that much.

MagiKitty
04-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm lucky that I have access to both New York and New Jersey papers...sometimes they have vastly different coupons in there. I also get coupons from my local grocery in the mail, just have to have a shop card for there. A lot of manufacturer's websites will have coupons also or will send them to your email. Also red plum's website has a lot of the same coupons as in the Sunday mailer, so I can get two of the same coupons there.

My grocery doubles coupons everyday and another grocery has the random triple coupons. Always look in the aisles, they have those automatic coupon dispensers, or the tear-offs. Also look on the products themselves--they may have a sticky coupon on them.

Lately my Star magazine has been having coupons in it, and I subscibe to All You, which regularly has coupons in it. All You is exclusive to Walmart, so if you want to check it out first, you can look there. I also get coupons out of the women's magazines and the Sunday Parade magazine, but that's not an every week thing.

Target sends me a text to go to their website and on there I can find printable coupons...they're usually the same as in the Sunday paper.

~Kathie
04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Do you also sometimes find that the clerks will try and rush through, and then you go ahead and pay (after feeling guilty for holding the line up) to only look at your receipt and noticed that either 3 stuck together or she/he didn't scan 2 of your coupons? I noticed that happened at Target today. Fortunately I look at the receipt before leaving the counter, she counted the receipts before throwing them in the drawer, and then told me to go to customer service to get a refund for the coupons not taken off...? Guess I really need to pay attention at the register, too.

I have had that happen a LOT! so much so that I add up my coupons before I get to the register so I know what the discount should be. Takes a few minutes if you have a lot of coupons but worth the aggravation. I don't hand them the coupons until they stop ringing and I don't bag....but watch them put every coupon in. Then I need to make sure they deduct for each of my reusable shopping bags. PITA....but that's what works for me.

waynesgirl
04-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Where do you all get the coupons from? That's a huge savings but I never seem to get that much.

I use couponmom.com, redplum.com, smartsource.com, and lots of other onlines, on top of the newpaper (we can buy 2 papers for $1.50 on Sundays here in ATL so it is double the coupons) and I share with some other people in my neighborhood who buy different brands than I do.

I even mail some to friends of mine in different cities. I only shop at double coupon stores (Kroger and Publix here) or places like CVS that give me cashback points...

I am fortunate enough that I have been doing "coups" for over 8 years now that I have quite a nice store of things. I make sure that I always have lots of coupons for the necessities like cereal (when Publix does B1G1's, then I always make sure to use a coupon for each box-if you use 2 $1.00 off coupons, then you get 2 boxes of cereal for less than $3.00), toliet paper, detergent for laundry and dishes, and other stuff. It is easy to "stockpile" these things, then only stock up when I run low..

It takes some work, a little planning, and a lot of clipping....

SarahandPaul
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I am happy to see this thread! My sister and I both began couponing this past February when her husband lost his joband now we're addicted! We made three ring binders with lots of categories (used the example from thekrazycouponlady.com) and store the coupon in baseball trading card sheets. We get together every Friday night and hit five stores in a five mile loop. Each of us have gotten our grocery/household bills to less than $250 per month! It becomes really addicting, but being organized in the store line is very helpful. We read local blogs before going out to the stores (make someone do the work for us!) so we are very prepared once in line. I have given up brand loyalty for price on quite a few products and haven't regretted it yet! Happy Couponing to all!!

beansmom
04-10-2010, 09:59 PM

ohhhhhhh, i'm gonna hate myself in the morning but....I order coupons from www.thecouponmaster.com and www.couponsthingsbydede.com . Both ladies have a great inventory of coupons and good, prompt service.

We are fortunate enough to have double up to 99cents here and I take advantage of all I can.

akcire
04-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I think it is funny that so many of you avoid cashiers that give you a hard time with your big stack of coupon money. When I get a cashier that gives me a hard time--I specifically look for them the next time. :lmao:

carps09
04-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I haven't experienced any issues with a cashier, but I get "the face" from people behind me in line sometimes. I always make sure my coupons are organized before I go to the register so that I can just give the cashier my stack of coupons without having to go through all of them to pick out the ones I'm using. If I have to endure some nasty looks from people in order to save $20-$30 per grocery trip, I'll do it! ;)

Alice28
04-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I have always been a savvy shopper, and used coupons on occasion (esp for clothes).

Lately, the last 2 months or so, I have become a coupon nut. I LOVE IT. And rarely is it for food. I have pretty much gotten for $2 or less the following the last month with coupons and tracking store specials:

Schick razors
Snuggle softener (.99 per bottle)
All detergent (.99 per bottle)
toothpaste (colgate)
pads and tampons (always and tampax)
Mitchum deodorant (.58)

Card games like monopoly, sorry, uno for either .99 or free
$3 Mr Potato Head
$2.33 My Little Ponies
3 boardgames for under $10 at Toys R Us- Memory, Operation, Connect 4
Toy Story and Toy Story 2 Blue Ray/DVD for under $7 each
These all mady fantastic gifts- I have 3 kids 12 and under and we have constant b-day parties to go to

And yes, I do use it for convenience foods too- recently I totally scored with Mac n Cheese, Hamburger Helper, Chef Boyardee, pizzas. Do we eat like this nightly? Of course not, but with DH in Iraq and me working part-time, it's great to have stuff in a pinch. I also use coupons with our local grocery stores for fresh produce and meats. Bread often is super cheap with coupons too.

I am a total convert. I love getting toiletries and household items for at least 70% off.

TnTWalter
04-11-2010, 07:23 AM
My problem is it's stressful. I hate not getting the deals I hear people talking about. I never get the free toothpaste.

it's a lot of work. I have used hotcouponworld couponmom etc. I've done the binder [still have hard time finding coupons]...done the labeling on the flyers and not cutting the coupons that was annoying too...I wish there was someone who posted 'here are the deals to get this week...' and tell you what and where! LOL.

I need to get back into it. I spend SOOO much on groceries and toiletries.

I did really good at getting my hair color kits for <$2!

I missed out on the games deal because I was too unorganized....it really starts to bog you down if you get behind....

any tips ??

Thanks.

MagiKitty
04-11-2010, 07:56 AM
TnTWalter...you really have to find a method that works for you. I too tried the not cutting thing, and while it did make it easier to see the coupons, lugging all those papers out really annoyed me.

Its hardest to get organized initially. Afterwards, its just maintenance and it gets easier.

I clip only the coupons I think I'll use, or if the coupon is really good. I have a little plastic organizer by category that works for me. I've heard some people organize like the layout of their store, but that isn't the way I think. I clip them on the table make a little pile. I then check them against this week's sales, and if they're not useful, I organize them like I would when putting them into their organizer. Before I add them, I check the older coupons for expired ones. This maybe takes me an hour Sunday nights.

If you're more computer oriented, I have heard of those websites that combine sales with coupons depending on your store, but I haven't used them.

I keep store coupons like for Macy's or JCPenney separate, but coupons for the grocery and pharmacy together with my regular coupons.

If I happen to see something on sale but left my coupon at home, I've bought it then have gone back, returned the item and re-purchased it.

It may be easier for me also since I only really have three options for groceries and two drug stores, plus Walmart..but I rarely use coupons at Walmart. I find the sales and coupons are better combined at my grocery store. Also both my pharmacy and grocer's adverts have "look for additional savings..." right in them so I know there's a coupon out there!

SarahandPaul
04-11-2010, 09:54 AM
My problem is it's stressful. I hate not getting the deals I hear people talking about. I never get the free toothpaste.

...I wish there was someone who posted 'here are the deals to get this week...' and tell you what and where! LOL.

If I didn't have blogs doing all the work for me, then I doubt I would be so successful! My two favorites are west coast people (frugallivingnw and thekrazycouponlady) but I bet a simple internet search could find you a blog in your area. They spell it out exactly for you...even providing links to print internet coupons if needed. It will look something like this:

Hot dogs on sale buy one get one free
Use 75 cents off coupon from 3/14 Smart Source newspaper insert
Use doubler (additional 75 cents off)
Pay XXX for two packs of hot dogs

No work for me...just have to have the coupons and hit the store!! Some people don't cut them out and just write the date on the front and cut out coupons as they are referenced in blogs (like the above example).

Good luck....every penny saved can be used for vacation!

Alice28
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM
There is no way I can actively follow each indiv. blog I subscribe to. so what I have done, is I 'fanned' them on facebook. Then each day, a few times a day, I scroll thru and see if anything pops up on my news feed from these couponing divas. That's how I get the scoop on where to print off the coupons, where the deal is at, etc. I have 'fanned' Krazy Coupon Lady, Couponing to DIsney, Fabulessly Frugal, Totally Target, and more.

When there is a really 'hot' coupon from the Sunday papers, I sometimes order more off of ebay. Like the $3 off snuggle coupon- I had two from my own clippings, but I ordered $10 more for $3. It was still a net savings of $27. Now we have Snuggle/fabric softener for at least a year. I do probably 8-10 loads of wash a week for my family of 5, so it's a staple it really pays to stock up on.

disneymom3
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
And yes, I do use it for convenience foods too- recently I totally scored with Mac n Cheese, Hamburger Helper, Chef Boyardee, pizzas. Do we eat like this nightly? Of course not, but with DH in Iraq and me working part-time, it's great to have stuff in a pinch. I also use coupons with our local grocery stores for fresh produce and meats. Bread often is super cheap with coupons too.

You know, I dont' get the attitude some people have about boxed foods. Yeah, it's great to cook from scratch every night, but clearly not everyone does that. If they did Kraft would have gone out of business long ago. Sorry, but I LIKE canned soup.:confused3 If I can combine a sale and a coupon for Chunky soup, I am going to go for it.

I admit to skimming a couple of pages and may have missed it, but I find www.thecouponclippers.com to be much better deals for buying coupons than on ebay. I have not looked yet at the other two mentioned above.

Alice28
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
You know, I dont' get the attitude some people have about boxed foods. Yeah, it's great to cook from scratch every night, but clearly not everyone does that. If they did Kraft would have gone out of business long ago. Sorry, but I LIKE canned soup.:confused3 If I can combine a sale and a coupon for Chunky soup, I am going to go for it.

I admit to skimming a couple of pages and may have missed it, but I find www.thecouponclippers.com to be much better deals for buying coupons than on ebay. I have not looked yet at the other two mentioned above.

I don't get people's attitudes here on the DIS either, about MANY topics. Hence why I don't add my .02 to much anymore. I shouldn't have made any sort of apology for my use of boxed foods. I do, and who really cares. :cool2: Thanks for the tip on couponclippers. I will check it out next time. I did look at some sites like that for the All and Snuggle coupons and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe cause they were such 'hot' coupons.

21yankees
04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Another suggestion for following blogs is to utilize Google's Reader. I follow about 55 blogs using their program. The people that write these blogs really do all of the work, I just take advantage of what I can.

Also coupons are out there for everything, not just food. I've been able to stock up on Laundry Detergent, Paper Towels, Tissues, etc in addition to food items.

steph

robinb
04-11-2010, 07:15 PM
You know, I dont' get the attitude some people have about boxed foods. Yeah, it's great to cook from scratch every night, but clearly not everyone does that.Hmmm ... I didn't see any "attitude" on the thread :confused3. A couple of posters said that they don't use packaged foods often and cook from scratch so they thought that couponing was not for them. I happen to agree with them. I have tried couponing for a few times but many things hold me back from saving a lot of money. First and foremost, is that I also do not buy a lot of packaged foods. There goes the vast majority of coupons I see. Secondly, I am pretty particular about detergents and health & beauty products due to my allergies. Lastly, I do not have it in me to stockpile things. I forget I have them and go out and buy more when I think I have run out :rotfl:.

If you want to buy your canned soup and save 50% off with coupons ... knock yourself out! It's better than paying full price :thumbsup2. Just don't take it personally when someone else says that they shop more of the perimeter of the store where coupons are far and few between than the center.

Oh ... and whoever came up with the hint for the booze coupons ... thanks! I'll make sure to look at them in the future as they are often for things like meat and veggies.

Alice28
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Hmmm ... I didn't see any "attitude" on the thread :confused3. A couple of posters said that they don't use packaged foods often and cook from scratch so they thought that couponing was not for them. I happen to agree with them. I have tried couponing for a few times but many things hold me back from saving a lot of money. First and foremost, is that I also do not buy a lot of packaged foods. There goes the vast majority of coupons I see. Secondly, I am pretty particular about detergents and health & beauty products due to my allergies. Lastly, I do not have it in me to stockpile things. I forget I have them and go out and buy more when I think I have run out :rotfl:.

If you want to buy your canned soup and save 50% off with coupons ... knock yourself out! It's better than paying full price :thumbsup2. Just don't take it personally when someone else says that they shop more of the perimeter of the store where coupons are far and few between than the center.
Oh ... and whoever came up with the hint for the booze coupons ... thanks! I'll make sure to look at them in the future as they are often for things like meat and veggies.

Sorry, but I would say 80% of where I am saving my money is neither on the perimeter of the store NOR is it packaged foods. It's toiletries. I doubt there are many here on the DIS who say they do not use deodorant, razors, toothpaste, shampoo, laundry soap, dishwashersoap, TP, paper towels, etc. I think we ALL love to save a buck on these items.

And again, when people diss the ingredients of packaged foods (as they often do here on the DIS, why, I don't know), those that do buy it just might feel defensive. I don't mean to start a debate or agitate any further, but I've seen it soooooooooooooooooooooo many times here....people just have to get the edge of judgement in. To each, his or her own!!!!!!!! :wizard:

Alice28
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Another suggestion for following blogs is to utilize Google's Reader. I follow about 55 blogs using their program. The people that write these blogs really do all of the work, I just take advantage of what I can.

Also coupons are out there for everything, not just food. I've been able to stock up on Laundry Detergent, Paper Towels, Tissues, etc in addition to food items.

steph

isn't it great? Due to some awesome coupons the last 2 weeks, I can eliminate the need to buy razors, deodorant, laundry soap and fabric softener out of my budget for probably a good 6 months. :thumbsup2 Plus I was able to buy my favorite brands anyway.

good tip on the google reader- I will try that! thanks!

mhsjax
04-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Hmmm ... I didn't see any "attitude" on the thread :confused3. A couple of posters said that they don't use packaged foods often and cook from scratch so they thought that couponing was not for them. I happen to agree with them. I have tried couponing for a few times but many things hold me back from saving a lot of money. First and foremost, is that I also do not buy a lot of packaged foods. There goes the vast majority of coupons I see. Secondly, I am pretty particular about detergents and health & beauty products due to my allergies. Lastly, I do not have it in me to stockpile things. I forget I have them and go out and buy more when I think I have run out :rotfl:.

Yep, this is me. I try my best not to use boxed food or prepared items. Sure there are times when I do.

Today, I was really going to try and start to use them. Sunday paper, great time to start. What a disappointment. Maybe there was one or two things that I could use. I also don't stock up and it never fails that if there is a coupon it is for something that I don't need and I am not the type of person to buy something that I may or may not use just because it is a good deal. Now before any one goes nuts, I am not saying that about anyone hear, but my dear sweet mother in law couldn't resist a sale and purchased $20.00 worth of zippers because there were a great deal and the woman didn't even sew. Even she laughed at herself. I told her that I could have saved her even more, just don't buy the zippers. lol One the soup thing, so not a soup eater and when I do, (flame away) I prefer to make my own and so do my kids. My dad could live on the stuff. IN fact I think he probably kept Campbells up and running.

21yankees
04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
isn't it great? Due to some awesome coupons the last 2 weeks, I can eliminate the need to buy razors, deodorant, laundry soap and fabric softener out of my budget for probably a good 6 months. :thumbsup2 Plus I was able to buy my favorite brands anyway.

good tip on the google reader- I will try that! thanks!

Yes I love the household coupons. I was able to stock up on laundry detergent in January and haven't had to purchase any since. We're a family of 5 and I do about 12 loads of laundry a week. The detergent when not on sale is 4.99 a bottle. I was able to get it on sale $2.99 a bottle plus I had $2.00 off 1 coupons.

For those starting the big thing is to hold onto your coupons and use them when the items are on sale. Check out Coupon Mom's website (it's free). She has a lot of tips out there.

And couponers don't just shop with coupons we monitor the sales (most stores/items run on cycles of time...the sales on xxx happen every xxx).

steph

TnTWalter
04-12-2010, 06:16 AM
so I search for blogs in my area for couponing and then I can use google reader? Wow when did I get so behind...

My area has Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, Marsh, CVS, Walgreens, Target just for groceries and toiletries so it gets difficult...

Anyone know of a fave blog in Indiana so I can be lazy? LOL.

Off to search.....

is there a googlel reader 'how to' by the way? Thanks so much.

I would LOVE to be able to do this again....I did good for several months out of necessity but it was very stressful like I said....

Trish

beansmom
04-12-2010, 06:42 AM
TnT, I use www.afullcup.com they have forums with most of the stores I have ever heard of. Peruse the forums there and you'll find what you need.

And, wow...I MISS Marsh and Kroger....we had Kroger in Texas, too, but Marsh certainly does bring back the memories. :)

J3nn78
04-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I save 40-50% on my weekly grocery shopping with coupons and the store bonus card. We cook almost everything from scratch. I get plenty of coupons for meats and vegetables in our local store flier and local papers. I get great yogurt coupons from the little coupon magazines in the Sunday paper. Then I hang on to them till the store has a sale. I usually always wait to use a coupon until the store has the item on sale too. The little coupon magazine has great non food coupons that I use too.

I also, have all my coupons ready to go before I shop. I use the circular and make my list and prepare my coupons ahead of time.

Colleen27
04-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Same here. I'm brand-loyal on pet food since our brand is made in the US and was one of few not affected by the big recalls in 2007, and I've never seen a coupon for our brand so the small savings from the pet store loyalty program is all the savings I get there.

I do from time to time get coupons for cooking oil or spices that I use, but that's a very small part of our overall grocery spending. Toiletries too; I'm not brand loyal on most things and I do pretty well stocking up on cheap shampoo and toothpaste, but again it is barely a crop in the bucket on our overall spending. Don't get me wrong, any savings is good savings, but I'll never get to those amazing 50+% reductions on the total bill with the handful of products that we use that I can find coupons for.

Colleen27
04-12-2010, 09:13 AM

I can only speak for myself, but there was no attitude/judgment intended in my posts. I'm a SAHM and I like to cook, so I don't use many convenience/boxed/canned foods, and I'm really picky about certain things (no food dyes or HFCS, in particular) which limits my brand flexibility.

And I like canned soup too; Progresso does it just as well or better than I can, and if they're doing the cooking I don't mind when one kid wants clam chowder and the other wants chicken & rice. :rotfl:

Colleen27
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Secondly, I am pretty particular about detergents and health & beauty products due to my allergies.

That's something that actually increased my coupon savings because the brands that tend to agree with my DD, who suffers from mild/moderate eczema, are those that run coupons - Dove, Eucerin, Aveeno, All. For myself, DH, and my non-allergic kids, I usually did better with Suave or store brands than on pricier brands even with coupons, but coupons save me a ton on the things I buy for DD.

Kion10
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I haven't had time to read this thread yet (I'm going to come back later tonight), but I just wanted to say that Couponing to Disney is an awesome blog. ;)

Jen_in_NH
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM

it's a lot of work. I have used hotcouponworld couponmom etc. I've done the binder [still have hard time finding coupons]...done the labeling on the flyers and not cutting the coupons that was annoying too...I wish there was someone who posted 'here are the deals to get this week...' and tell you what and where! LOL.

I need to get back into it. I spend SOOO much on groceries and toiletries.

I did really good at getting my hair color kits for <$2!

I missed out on the games deal because I was too unorganized....it really starts to bog you down if you get behind....

any tips ??

Thanks.

I never did well with couponing, until someone here pointed me to the afullcup forums. Each individual store has it's own forums, and people have figured out the deals for each store for the week.

It has saved me quite a bit of money

LisaInNc
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I used to be huge into couponing and refunding. My best was over 1,000 of free stuff in one day using coupons. We had a store that would double dollar coupons and I could get lots of stuff for free.

I never felt like I was stealing anything. I always abided by the rules ono the coupon. The way I looked at it if I am smart enough to reduce my grocery bill the clerk is the one doing something wrong to look down her nose at me.

Keep on couponing girl!!! It's a great way to save money for Disney!

Lisa

budbeerlady
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
so I search for blogs in my area for couponing and then I can use google reader? Wow when did I get so behind...

My area has Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, Marsh, CVS, Walgreens, Target just for groceries and toiletries so it gets difficult...

Off to search.....

I would LOVE to be able to do this again....I did good for several months out of necessity but it was very stressful like I said....

Trish

I would suggest Savings Angel. They do Meijer, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, etc. It is $20 a month but I save enough to justify it for myself. They tell you EXACTLY where to find the coupon or they give you Internet link. You make your shopping list by store, cut or print the coupons and voila! :love:

It is so easy, I love it! They tell you when its a best time to stock up and I usually save about 40% on my groceries, dog food, etc.

LadySiren
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Whew, been busy over the last couple of days so I just found this thread. I do have to say that I try to keep my stuff organized before I get to the register but I do still sometimes feel bad if my coupons beep, then the cashier has to either put them in by hand or get an override. Ugh.

On the other hand, I feel great when I look at my savings total. We have Harris-Teeter here in NC, which doubles 20 mfg. coupons per day up to $.99 and also does super-doubles (doubling of coupons up to $1.99) and triples (tripling of coupons up to $.99). I'm a huge fan of coupon stacking at places like Rite-Aid, CVS, and Walgreen's. Free or darn near free stuff is always great! We do stockpile, as well, which works well for our large family of seven.

We don't do a huge amount of cooking from scratch unfortunately, due to work, school, and sports schedules. Yep, the boxed stuff isn't as good as homemade but it's also not that horrible. My kids love that Hamburger Helper stuff (:scared1:) and get upset if Mom doesn't buy it, LOL. I'm hoping that supplementing with lots of fruit, veggies, and dairy will off-set the boxed stuff. :laughing:

My favorite sites for coupons (although I shouldn't share these...y'all will get all the good coupons before I can!) these days are: afullcup.com, hotcouponworld.com, buxr.com, and southernsavers.com. I also will sometimes cruise by weusecoupons.com to see what they've got there. If I need multiples of coupon, I'll generally hit up thecouponclippers.com. BTW, you can get some crazy deals by becoming a fan of various manufacturers on Facebook - for example, Nabisco runs a BOGO coupon promo the first Monday of every month. My kids adore Nabisco cookies, so it's a good deal for us.

dhdozier
04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I think it is funny that so many of you avoid cashiers that give you a hard time with your big stack of coupon money. When I get a cashier that gives me a hard time--I specifically look for them the next time. :lmao:

That's funny!! If I have time I do so too just to keep my juices flowing, but most of the time I am in a rush so I really spend more time looking for the experienced cashiers to get my groceries and coupons scanned lickety split. ;)

C.Ann
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Never feel guilty for stretching your dollar as far as it will go..:thumbsup2

S&K
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
This has been so much fun reading all your post!

I need to update y'all though...I went to Walgreens this morning...needed to do five transactions and I am STILL learning about rolling the register reward dollars...anyway...this nice lady working said to make sure and grab her when I am ready and she'll ring me up in cosmetics...:eek: I'm thinking...uh oh...she's probably the manager and wants to make sure my coupons are correct (even though I know they are!)...anyway...she was AWESOME!!! Said she didn't mind taking the extra time...told me when I needed to add something to get the RR to print out...said come back to me next time you come in!!!! :cool1: I know you all said to just hang in there, eventually you'll get a good checker that is helpful...THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice guys!

P.S. If anyone know a good deal on Zhu Zhu pets...:) Let me know!

21yankees
04-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Off to search.....

Trish

I'm pretty sure http://bargainbriana.com/ is based in Indiana. HTH

steph

LadySiren
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
WARNING: thread hijacking incoming. You've been warned.

Speaking of coupons, I got my Home Made Simple "decor done right" coupon booklet today (there was a website you signed up at for this particular set of coupons). The coupons weren't bad but they weren't all that :cool1: either.

There were only a few real high-dollar coupons (Swiffers, etc.) but there were a couple that made me glad I'd signed up - the $.75 off of Magic Erasers will double to $1.50 off at our local Harris Teeter. Okay, so maybe it was a mildly :cool1: coupon booklet. :rotfl:

21yankees
04-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I haven't had time to read this thread yet (I'm going to come back later tonight), but I just wanted to say that Couponing to Disney is an awesome blog. ;)

Love it! I follow on Facebook too. :thumbsup2

steph

Shelly F - Ohio
04-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I too felt guilty at first but it soon wore off.

Think of all the money that people who do not coupon, are actually throwing away! At the end of my shopping trip I leave the store excited about the amount of money I have just saved.

So what if someone else is standing behind me who is impatient or wants to glare at me because I am using coupons. In the end I am walking away as a winner with extra money in my pocket.

So go out there and feel confident in couponing! :woohoo:

budbeerlady
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Think of all the money that people who do not coupon, are actually throwing away! At the end of my shopping trip I leave the store excited about the amount of money I have just saved.

So what if someone else is standing behind me who is impatient or wants to glare at me because I am using coupons. In the end I am walking away as a winner with extra money in my pocket.

So go out there and feel confident in couponing! :woohoo:

:thumbsup2 Why should you pay 30-50% more for stuff than you have to! I choose not to....

I am loving the $1.50 off the TGI fridays coupons right now. I love the cheese sticks but will not pay $3.29 a box for them! Our store has them on sale this week so I am paying $.50 a box.

My awesome Dad just found me a small chest freezer off Craigs list, I think Dh might be more excited than I am.

Caitsmama
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Subscribing here!

I am reading the Couponing to Disney blog - and i am determined to do this!!! (If you are listening -- you are SOOOO inspiring!!) :)

I am planning a trip with dd next year (2011) - and i have never paid on my own for a WDW trip - and unless i can do it for that trip, it won't happen.. so , i need to learn to get creative, and i love the support here!

I just wrote down the sites/people here, and will check these out later tonight after work.. i am just so inspired!

any other advice on where to learn the art of couponing for a newbie??

PaulaSue
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM

hey I already follow you!:goodvibes

budbeerlady
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I also like Saving Addiction! http://www.savingaddiction.com/p/store-deals.html

They cover Meijer, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Target and Family Fare. I was so excited to read this deal on their blog. "This week at Meijer you can snag a 5 pack value box of Kraft Mac n Cheese for $1.89 after
the $1/1 Meijer Coupon (found on our side-bar!)

On the Kraft Box you should find a Peelie Coupon for a FREE Box of Capri Sun Roarin' Waters (Value $2.49) when you buy the Value Box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!"

So I went at lunch and added this deal to my other ones. $12.09 out the door for the 5 pk of Kraft mac n cheese,1 Capri roaring water, 8 TGI Friday frozen boxes, 6 Green Giant frozen veggies (DH has to have the green bean casserole) and 6 country crock 15oz tubs of butter.

Caitsmama
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
So I went at lunch and added this deal to my other ones. $12.09 out the door for the 5 pk of Kraft mac n cheese,1 Capri roaring water, 8 TGI Friday frozen boxes, 6 Green Giant frozen veggies (DH has to have the green bean casserole) and 6 country crock 15oz tubs of butter.

OMG, you got all that for $12????? :woohoo::eek: :thumbsup2

eyor44
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM
People behind me in line used to bother me, until one day a lady and her DD got in line. I had a full buggy and warned her I had coupons (she had two items, but we had already started) She sighed, she mumbled and then the coupons came out. Oh my goodness the way she acted. When the cashier was through with the coupons she said very loudly "Gosh, you ONLY saved $27 this week." The ladies DD looked at her and said "Mom, I thought you said coupons were a huge waste of time?" :lmao:

Now I just calmly warn whomever gets in line behind me that I have a lot of coupons. If they stay, I ignore the grumbles. :thumbsup2

Caitsmama
04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
That's funny! Honestly, if i were behind someone like yourself in line -- i would beg you at the end to teach me how to do that!!! I would be VERY VERY impressed!! LOL

disneymom3
04-13-2010, 06:34 PM

There was a lady near me in the grocery store and we were looking over the strawberries. She got one pack. We had been chatting a bit so I pointed out that in the store ad there was a coupon for B1G1 free. She said, "Oh, I don't want that many." I swear I almost told her I would meet her at the check out and take them off her hands. :rotfl:

littlefoots
04-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I just started on the serious coupon treck. I have been clipping since I was the designated coupon cutter at 4. LOL Hey .. mom says it was free labor and helped me with dexterity. LOL

I now have my friend addicted ever since I got her 5 Listerines for $1..and we now go together. :thumbsup2 I had an incident with a grumpy grampa this past weekend..I stood my ground and said loud enough.. yay!! I saved 103.00. He almost broke his neck trying to look at the screen... LOL :lmao:

goofyforgoofytoo
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Heck no!! No Guilt here over using them> I Love coupons. I am able to get a large number of inserts weekly and put the coupons up for auctions on ebay. Let's just say that visiting the mouse this year will be Fully paid by coupons.(as well as some Dental work not covered by Insurance) Even after ebay fees, paypal fees and taxes it is very profitable. Right now I am getting as many Free movies tickets as I can from Kroger getting what I can cheap after coupons, I am upto 15 now.

I just smile everytime I hear someone say that coupons are a waste of time.:goodvibes

*BTMRR*
04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
I thought that this thread was going to be about people like me who feel guilty because we don't coupon like we should.

These stories are great, and inspiring! I need to get into the coupon habit.

mickeylovermomof3boy
04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
absolutly do not feel guilty!!! the stores get pd for the value of the coupon plus shipping and a little extra for doing it. dont worry about what people thing, they are just being jealious they are not saving. I totally went to target today with my coupons and did a awesome job, I saved 116.93$ spent $10.70 and earned 4 $5 target gift cards. best part is i got lots of new stuff i never even know exist! my house is much cleaner since i started seriously couponing. I have a great time a kmart last week, double coupoon week, got lots of toilet paper, i get to wipe for free!!!:cheer2:

that is your money, dont worry about what other people think, unless they want to pay for your things for you.

mickeylovermomof3boy
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
i should add, i starting using a zip binder with baseball card pages to sort my coupons and i get so many compliments about how organized i am and so many men tell me they wish thier wives would do this. keep saving that money!!!

r1lissa
04-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I went to our local HEB grocery store today without any of my own coupons. I only bought things that were "buy something, get something free"- they call them "Meal Deals".
I had 33 items in my cart including a whole deli chicken, two boxes of Kraft macaroni, Ms. Bairds bread, Kraft shredded and sliced cheese, Oscar Mayer hot dogs and sliced ham, Eckrich sausage, Lipton tea, Kool Aid Jammers, Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, etc. So, definately not all store brand stuff.

Total before coupons, $72.61
Total after their in-store coupons, $42.06

:banana:

pennydlane72
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I work at a Super Walmart as a cashier and I love coupons! I use them myself and get really excited for those people who use them and save lots of money! I have a very organized coupon file that I keep at my register and if I have a coupon for something the customer is buying I will gladly give it to them! I figure we are all in the same boat here trying to make ends meet and get ahead where we can! Why not help each other out!:hippie:

ShiPooOwner
04-19-2010, 02:37 PM
I work at a Super Walmart as a cashier and I love coupons! I use them myself and get really excited for those people who use them and save lots of money! I have a very organized coupon file that I keep at my register and if I have a coupon for something the customer is buying I will gladly give it to them! I figure we are all in the same boat here trying to make ends meet and get ahead where we can! Why not help each other out!:hippie:

I :love: :love: :love: cashiers like you that understand and are happy for those of us that :love: :love: :love: coupons! You are much appreciated!! :thumbsup2

erinmomof2
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I used my coupons today and saved about $20. Not too bad. It was all on stuff I needed too. I love shopping and when I can save money doing it that's even better!

Kahana-ri
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I clip and trade coupons ALL the time. Our work has a tray of 'community' coupons that we all contribute and browse through. I love finding the ones I use often. I'll use a coupon anywhere and fell no guilt. The fact is I am saving my money on products we use, so why not! I always feel great leaving knowing that I saved even two-bucks, every penny counts right now. :thumbsup2

Caitsmama
04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
I clip and trade coupons ALL the time. Our work has a tray of 'community' coupons that we all contribute and browse through. I love finding the ones I use often. I'll use a coupon anywhere and fell no guilt. The fact is I am saving my money on products we use, so why not! I always feel great leaving knowing that I saved even two-bucks, every penny counts right now. :thumbsup2

This is a GREAT idea!! I may just have to start this at my work - ( i work at a church, so think of how this could reach lots of people!) .. thanks!!

BTW - i see you are a fellow RI'er! :thumbsup2

Sadie22
04-20-2010, 09:38 AM

That just happened to me at a grocery store. I had a $10 off $100 purchase coupon. I was watching the scanner and saw that the final total was not $10 less than the subtotal. I asked the cashier to show me on the receipt tape where the $10 came off. He could not, but then he also had trouble finding my coupon where he had thrown it. He did finally find it and sent me to customer service where the assistant manager gave me $10 cash. The same cashier did not give me 3 cents per bag credit for bringing my own bags, but I didn't realize that until I was outside and didn't go back for the 12 cents.

LynnTH
04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
I used to be one of those who thought couponing was not worth the time. Then I started reading the budget board and soon I was reading afullcup.com and hotcouponworld.com and took the plunge about 2 years ago.

I have got totes full of so much health & beauty item its scary. I make up goodie bags for some friends and relatives. I give some to our food shelf at church. But, I sell alot in my yearly garage sale. Last year was the 1st year I had so much stuff and I made $2000 - a lot was on stuff I got free or nearly free from couponing. I read the forums and when a really good deal comes out I order coupons. I have about 7 Walgreens near my and I get a good deal of the stuff there from their RR Program.

It has been alot of fun and the money is used towards our vacation fund. We have a city wide sale coming up next month so getting ready for that. People come from hours away and stay in hotels and bring trailers for this city's sales. So, I can't wait (we just moved here).

My DH always asks me where I'm going scamming today. He knows it's all legit but has to give me a hard time about it. He has come around to my side now since he has seen all the stuff I have gotten for free and so much stuff I actually make money on. It is a fun, addicting hobby.

LadySiren
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
LynnTH, that's so funny - DH always asks me which store I'm going to cheat when I head out to the store on a given day. Bah, it's not my fault I'm a smart coupon shopper. :thumbsup2

disneymom3
04-21-2010, 08:05 PM

If you want to buy your canned soup and save 50% off with coupons ... knock yourself out! It's better than paying full price :thumbsup2. Just don't take it personally when someone else says that they shop more of the perimeter of the store where coupons are far and few between than the center..

Just for the record, I was replying to an PP who had seemed to be struggling that she purchased some prepackaged items. My point was for her not to feel bad, that lots and lots of people do. NOr was I even referring to this thread, just people in general. And I definitely don't take it personally. ;) I am pretty relaxed about what people think of me especially when I dont know them even in real life. No worries here. I LOVE using coupons!

Poohbug
04-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Does anyone else hate how Target receipts show your coupons. Some are up by the products, some are at the bottom, some up by the products but not actually by the item that the coupon was for. I find it confusing to figure out if they actually did deduct all my coupons. It takes me a while to figure everything out and it is a pain because I always have at least one child with me and that makes it hard to watch what the cashier is doing.

desert_starr_57
04-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Add me to the "couponing like crazy" list. I do it too. Sometimes I feel guilty, but only because it takes so long to do all my coupons and people are waiting. I NEVER feel guilty for using them. I have yet to get attitude from my cashier either.

I love them. I use them every chance I get. Grocery, Walmart, Drug stores, Bath and Body works! Bring on the coupons!!

DH is into it too now. He needed a domain name and he went to the retailmenot site first and actually found a code to get it for a dollar. He was so proud.

maleficentmom
04-22-2010, 01:09 PM
LynnTH, that's so funny - DH always asks me which store I'm going to cheat when I head out to the store on a given day. Bah, it's not my fault I'm a smart coupon shopper. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2:My husband says "the police are gonna come and get you,'cause you stole that stuff!".....lol...Another thing I do ,as I'm probably not as die hard as some,but I'm trying...is anything more than a few bucks I really try to find a coupon for...I searched online and found a $15 off coupon through Bearable Deals, for the Breeze litter box system.Then I found it on clearance for $26 at Food City,usually they are about $30-35 on sale. Movies,swiffers, etc...anything over 10 bucks i definitely try to search for a coupon.Also,use lots of restaurant coupons,Rite Aid rebates,Walgreens,Entertainment Book.I use my Walgreens register rewards on Mayfield milk (3.39 here) and Sara Lee bread(1.50 ) and eggs (.99). Yesterday i got 2 gallons of milk,1 bun,1 bread..and after tearing off a couple of coupons on a pad near the bread,and giving them my reg. rewards it was $1.06...woo-hoo!:cool1: