PDA

View Full Version : Whole family in one room

MMluvsWDW
04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
My husband and I are looking at DVC (studio pts vs 1 bdrm pts) or will we stay in a value to do Disney and skip DVC. However, I've been noticing a trend and am wondering what others think, especially on the budget board. Growing up my family always traveled and we rarely got two rooms or had more than a general hotel room (think pop). I'm finding more and more after talking with people that this type of travel is too small of a room or unacceptable. Why can't a family of four make 1 bathroom work?What's everyone else's opinion? Is it bad for a family to share a week in a hotel room and "make it work?" Is it really that bad as parents?

roadtrippin2wdw
04-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I personally don't think it's weird for a family if four to stay in one hotel room. I always feel pretty lucky to be in that one room with my family somewhere so awesome! I understand the luxury of more than one room, but I don't think it's necessary.

Hannathy
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
We always and have always just stayed in one room, Never understood the problem either. Even if it is a larger group we always stay in one room (at places that have larger occupancy) So we have had 6 with 1 bath. We spent 12 Days at Disney at Pop with 4 in the room including a teen girl and had no problems. To us it is just more fun to be in one room, especially if it includes my sister and nephew who we don't get to see as much as we like.

Back in the day when I was growing up no one had more than 1 bathroom and we are talking baby boomer size families and we all survived.

So unless I hit the mega lottery we will continue to have 1 room.

jakoky
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi there...we are a family of 5 and we always share a room...actually, next to being at disney, it is my second favourite part of the trip...all of us in one room together, no cleaning to be done, everyone in great moods...we have had some really fun times in the room, lots of laughing and very little bickering out of the kids...budgetwise and fun :cool1:

cheerforchelsea
04-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Sharing a room is just part of the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weewuvvdisney
04-08-2010, 10:58 PM
We've been 4 in a room at ASMovies. One child and three adults. No problemo....

Don't remember ever staying in a hotel growing up.....

We don't spend enough time in our room so it's never a problem for us.

MnMomtoboys
04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
We are a family of six and will have 1 room. We know a few times the guys will shower down at the pools.

v.t.
04-08-2010, 11:09 PM
We always stay in one room, we will be doing 6 in a room this summer. We never have any problems with just one bathroom, my boys always volunteer to skip their showers and head to the pools instead. :lmao:

MissionWDW
04-08-2010, 11:14 PM
We are a family of six and if there was an affordable Disney resort that allowed us all to stay in one room.....we would make it happen. Last October, we stayed at Pop and because of the occupant restrictions, we had two conjoining rooms. For the first six nights, there were eight of us in those two rooms...my inlaws were with us. When we are on vacation, we like to be out and taking advantage of the sites. Our hotel room is to sleep, shower, dress. BTW...to make things a little more roomy for sleeping, I did pack air beds. ;) I grew up in a same size family...there were four of us girls sharing bedrooms and ONE bathroom. Doesn't seem strange to me at all.

rie'smom
04-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Growing up, we always had 2 rooms, one for my parents and for the kids. This was in the 60's and 70's, so not too new. If our teenage daughter invites a friend or friends, we get 2 rooms. If it's just the 3 of us, we usually get 1 room.

indimom
04-09-2010, 06:31 AM
our trips have been with four or five people. We are staying two weeks at Pop this year in one room.
That being said, we did seriously consider doing a two bed/two bath offsite condo for this trip because it looked soooo spacious and inviting (and was the same price as a Disney value). The kids loved the thought of having their own beds. DS is a serious early riser and was looking forward to being able to get out of bed in the AM, get something to eat and watch TV, rather than lying there quietly so he doesn't bother anyone...
Once we got a pin code, we just couldn't pass up the savings or the perks of staying on Disney property. It's really not a hardship though, we are accustomed to sharing a room, and I've got a pretty good plan in place for making use of the space available to us...and we'll just wear our boy out so he sleeps in a little longer. :lmao:

Darcy03231
04-09-2010, 06:38 AM
We're a family of 6 and have shared hotel rooms where its allowed. Unfortunately, most places that are reasonable have a limit of 5 to a room so we have to get two rooms.

MickeyMomOfThree
04-09-2010, 06:39 AM
We are a family of 5 so at Disney we can't all be in one room, but my grandparents go with us and our oldest sleeps in their room (connected to ours.) However, she still uses our bathroom to shower and to get ready so there are 5 of us sharing one bathroom. We only have one bathroom at home, so this is nothing new for us. Maybe if you are used to having your own space it would be hard for you, but we are so used to it, I almost don't want more bathrooms on vacation so we don't get too used to it. :rotfl:

Any other time we stay at a hotel it is just one room.

ChrisinNJ
04-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Here's my opinion: We are a family of 5. If we go away somewhere for 2-4 nights we manage with 1 room. But when we have gone to disney in the past, we have stayed 10 days - 2 weeks.

If we are going to be somewhere that long my hubby & I like our privacy at night (if you know what I mean) and we like a little extra space to spread out & not be on top of each other.

If I can stay in a 3 BR 2 bath condo with a full kitchen, living & dining space off property, for less $ than cramming into 1 room with 1 bathroom and not even so much as a refrigerator on property, with my my whole family , I am going to. But that is just my opinion, and is also based on the length of stay we have.

If I were to go down for a long weekend, or 4 night trip, I might try on property in 1 room once, just to see what I am missing, but everytime I price it out, my budget side gets the best of me & tells me, stay at the condo again, more space to relax for way less $$$$.

eliza61
04-09-2010, 07:25 AM
My husband and I are looking at DVC (studio pts vs 1 bdrm pts) or will we stay in a value to do Disney and skip DVC. However, I've been noticing a trend and am wondering what others think, especially on the budget board. Growing up my family always traveled and we rarely got two rooms or had more than a general hotel room (think pop). I'm finding more and more after talking with people that this type of travel is too small of a room or unacceptable. Why can't a family of four make 1 bathroom work?What's everyone else's opinion? Is it bad for a family to share a week in a hotel room and "make it work?" Is it really that bad as parents?

For me it's not a matter of "Can't". Vacations for me are different than every day life. I want to at the very least be comfortable. for my family of 4, no way would a value room work. How is it a vacation if we are tripping over some one every time we stand up. Now I may be a little different in that I'm a bit "pooh" size and my sons are all over 6 ft tall.

It doesn't make you bad or good. It's simple a matter of preference. If we could not afford to get two rooms, we would rather wait and save up a little more money.

I just don't want to go on my very hard earned vacation and then be miserable because I'm stepping over people to get to the bathroom.

Sorry 10 days in a value room with 4 of us may lead to a homicide.

punkin
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
I have done 4 in a room and it's been fine. This last vacation, however, we rented a two bedroom villa with two baths (we had a 5th person and it was spring break so onsite was prohibitively expensive). Wow!!!! what a difference. I'm not sure I can go back.

We did stay 4 in a room on the trip back (we drove) and it was fine.

Chelley00
04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Back when most of us were kids, there weren't fire codes and occupancy restrictions, so staying 4-5 and even 6+ in one room wasn't such a big deal.

I have no problem staying in one room when it's just four of us, but when you add another 2 people like in our family, it's cramped bed wise, one bathroom for 6 people just doesn't cut it. We'd stay in one room if suites were cheaper, but 2 rooms is just much cheaper.

Disney Ella
04-09-2010, 08:26 AM
For one night, four people in a room is not a problem. Any longer than that, forget it. We spent the last three nights of our last WDW trip in one room at CSR. There wasn't enough drawer space for four people, so things were scattered throughout luggage and drawers. Someone has to make a compromise and turn off the TV at night. We don't usually all go to bed at the same time, but in a hotel room, there is nowhere for the late nighters to go. I like staying onsite, but I like having enough space for all of us more, particularly since I have teenagers. We have rented points in the past and stayed at DVC, but staying offsite is still cheaper. Having space at a decent price is much more magical to me than being onsite.

annsteere
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Does anybody else consider the gender of your kids?

Maybe, this comes from growing up in a family of all girls. . .

At some point, fairly early on, it just seemed odd to have DS and DD sleeping in the same double bed. Doing DH with DS and having me sleep with DD didn't work quite right either.

We won a trip to AKL where we shared a room but the kids had bunk beds. I've done a trip with DD and her girlfriend and we shared a room at PoP.

Our family of 4 has shared a tent and that felt fine. (Early risers go outside and start coffee over the fire embers left by the nightowls). But, the four of us haven't fit comfortably in a single hotel room for a while. That makes travel more expensive for the 4 of us than it was when my mom, dad and the three girls always shared a room.

debelfish
04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
to share a bed anymore. We made them this past weekend and they bickered about it. But I am not willing to sleep with either of them either.
At WDW we have stayed with WL and AKL with Bunk Beds, at Poly and BC my son stayed on the daybead. Now we feel limited to the Deluxes so that one can use the daybed.

mjkacmom
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
My family of 7 stays in 1 room at the Great Wolf Lodge, and camping cabins (the only 2 places I've found where it is allowed). I can't imagine getting 2 rooms if there were only 4 of us! Granted, sometimes only having 1 bathroom is tough at the GWL, but camping, there are public facilities as well.

Deb & Bill
04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
When I take a vacation, I like to vacation. I just had a business trip to New Orleans and it was during my son's spring break. So he and my husband came along (no extra cost since we drove). But the hotel was in the French Quarter and the room was small. I was lucky enough to get a king sized bed and we took the Aerobed for our son, but we were wall to wall. During the day, I attended my meeting and had lunch and dinner with my guys. And they slept in each morning to 10 or 11, so it wasn't too much of an impact. But it sure wasn't a vacation.

At WDW, we usually stay in a one bedroom DVC villa. Now that's vacationing.

MEM
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
We are a family of 4 including DS15 and DD13. We always stay in one room and its no big deal. By using our DVC points for a studio, we can stay longer and visit more often. The one bathroom is no problem either - DS and I are early birds and we are out of the bathroom by the time DH and DD wake up. We only have one bathroom at home so we are used to it. When the kids were little they shared a bed but now DD and I share one and DS and DH share the other. Not a problem.

Having said all of that, on our upcoming trip to HHI, we have a 2 bedroom villa booked for the four of us (another family cancelled their trip with us due to illness). I will feel quite spoiled.

NeverlandClub23
04-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Growing up the few times we did stay in a hotel and when we went to WDW, we ALWAYS shared a room. My brother would sleep with my Dad and I with my Mom. During our trip in December 2005 we decided to all share a room again (I was 23, my brother 26) at WL. Never again!! :rotfl: What a bunch of snorers!! My brother is a night owl so I'd wake up at 2 a.m. to him on his computer or watching TV, my Dad likes to wake up at 6 a.m. to sit on the balcony which means he wakes everyone up moving around the room and opening the curtain, it would take us 2-3 hours to get out of the room as one person would shower, take forever getting dried and dressed, then the next person would go in (which is awful too when you're trying to dry off and put clothes on in a tiny little steamy room), and God help us all if someone ate something that didn't agree with them :sick:. Ever since we all get separate rooms and it's so much more enjoyable.

But I agree when we're kids we didn't think twice about all being in the same room or sharing a bathroom (my brother and I shared everything growing up anyways [like any and all treats and most meals], we didn't know any different).

shalom
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I have five kids, and when they were little we'd stay in one room and now they're older we stay in suites with one bath while traveling and it's not a problem. It's also not a vacation. :rotfl: We only started vacationing (as opposed to traveling to visit relatives) when we discovered condos. If we were going to be in the same hotel room for ten days, or even in two hotel rooms, we wouldn't go. Some of us need that living space. But my family has a lot of autistic traits; a family where everyone's more sociable and people-oriented and likes stimulation would probably do better.

3boymthr
04-09-2010, 09:47 AM
We're a family of five and always stay in one room.

Personally, I've never understood the big deal about the second room for the second bathroom. Though it could be because we only have one bathroom at home :rotfl2:

Ava
04-09-2010, 09:47 AM
When I was growing up, if we were staying in a regular hotel we all shared one room. This was for my mom, dad, myself, & my sister. I don't remember staying in regular hotels very often though; if we went to the beach we stayed at a friend's home, and on both WDW trips after my sister was born we stayed in larger accommodations (once in a cabin at Ft Wilderness, once at a condo offsite). Staying in one room was not so much fun as I got older - I didn't mind sharing a bed with my sister, but my dad snores LOUD! You had to fall asleep before him or else you wouldn't get any sleep, lol.

I can see how sharing one room would be difficult if you have opposite gendered kids, once they get to the age where they're not comfortable sharing a bed any more. I also think if you have younger kids who go to bed early its nice to have seperate rooms, so the adults can stay up without disturbing the little ones. So while 1 room for a family of 4 is do-able, I think it's often more comfortable to have more space.

monorailsilver
04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Family of 5 here & we share a room too (we did when we were a family of 4 & a family of 3 as well).

I have had no issues but my kids are still under 8.

For Disney (or any vacation for that matter) we aren't in the room all day so it isn't bad. We also take advantage of the balcony/lanai & use that space as well.

chobie
04-09-2010, 10:15 AM
We have a 15dd and 12ds. We share one room. I sleep with dd. No one snores (yet). We Are Floridians, so our trips are always quick 2-3 days 4 times a year or so.

Juliet25
04-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Maybe it's because my kids are young, but I couldn't justify the expense of an extra room. We have DVC and usually get a 1 bedroom due to the kitchen and washing machines available in room, but we also stay in studios to save points. If we were paying cash for rooms, we'd still stay four (soon five) to a room. I'd much rather spend the money on one room at a deluxe than two rooms at Pop (but if one can afford two rooms at a deluxe, that would be awesome :thumbsup2).

rdevine10
04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
We have done both before..... and while I love the extra space (espeically on a longer trip) we do just fine in a 1 room hotel.

Long ago DH and I discovered we sleep terribly together with the 2 of us on a double bed. So, since the kids have been around (and they are still under 8), we each always sleep with one of them in a double bed. Gettin ready isnt an issue (1 bath), as generally we all shower in the evening to get a quicker go in the morning on vacation.

that being said, when I have 2 teenage girls on my hands, I might be more inclined for a bit more space all of the time :rotfl:

LilGMom
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Prior to DVC my family of four would always stay in a std. room while at WDW. When we travel somewhere other than WDW we stay in one std. room and as long as there are queen sized beds we are happy. :) DH & I are both tall so the beds in the WDW values would not be comfy for us but we find nothing wrong with staying in a standard room.

Of course, having said that if we are going to be there for 7+ days we tend to get a one bedroom for the space and amenities. But that is only if we are staying on points, if paying OOP we'll stay in one room. My tune might change once my boys are teens and then I'll be the one wanting my own room. :goodvibes

jodifla
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
When I was growing up, we RARELY stayed in hotel rooms. We stayed in the homes of family and friends on vacation. That was the norm for everybody in our crowd.

For the first 13 years of our marriage, it was just DH and I, so we normally had just one room. But during that time we bought into DVC, started staying in larger accommodations, and inviting family and friends.

So certainly we can stay in one room since there is just the 3 of us. But we PREFER the space and normally get a two bedroom, and bring friends and family along. THAT'S a vacation.

disykat
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Sharing a room is just part of the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree - not necessarily FUN, but definitely part of the bonding experience.

We sometimes take a blow up mattress and a sleeping bag when the boys don't want to sleep together, but generally they just deal.

If we go on a long vacation we try to get something with more than one room every once in a while, but normally it's just one room. We have rented larger places to spend a week at the beach etc. when we'll be hanging out at/around the cabin, but most vacations we just need a room for nighttime.

denise5374
04-09-2010, 10:48 AM
We are a family of 4 and always shared one hotel room, whether for a weekend or a week. My kids are DD17 and DS13. Honestly, I never thought about them sleeping in the same bed....

The only time I considered getting two rooms is if we go on another cruise...those rooms are just too small with 4 normal sized people in them.

We share one bathroom at home so that isn't a big deal for us, plus with the privacy curtain, it isn't hard to get everyone showered and dressed.

katt95
04-09-2010, 11:08 AM
We are doing a trip with myself, 15 daughter, sisterinlaw, and grandma. We do a girls trip every year and always stay in the same room. That's part of the experience. We were first going to POP but then went with POFQ purely for the extra sink. When I was a kid, there were 5 of us. Traded off on who slept on the air mattress....good memories!!!

MickeyMomOfThree
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
We are doing a trip with myself, 15 daughter, sisterinlaw, and grandma. We do a girls trip every year and always stay in the same room. That's part of the experience. We were first going to POP but then went with POFQ purely for the extra sink. When I was a kid, there were 5 of us. Traded off on who slept on the air mattress....good memories!!!

Glad to hear you say good memories (though we don't do the air mattress, the kids don't mind sharing a bed.) For me growing up an only I never thought about it till reading this thread. Our kids have never complained, maybe because they know it's share or we don't go. We save for 2 years for our vacations and if we needed more beds/bathrooms they would be even less often. It was good to hear you say good memories. I hope our kids look back at our trips the same way. I believe they will.

katt95
04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, they are good memories. Now at the time, we were probably fussing and fighting...but as adults, we remember and still laugh over it.

Now a question for you. My 15 year old daughter is an only (not by choice, I just kept having miscarriages) that we consider a miracle. She is fine as an only, very social, but i worry about her as an adult. You know, moms just worry!! What is your take on being an only?

ekmom
04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe it's because I grew up with 4 siblings in a 900 square foot house with one bathroom, but I don't think sharing a room is a big deal. I feel lucky that I can afford to travel since we never went anywhere when I was growing up. We have always taken at least one trip a year with our kids and for at least the last 5 years we've taken a winter AND a summer trip. DD23 and DS20 have always shared a bed on vacation and we think nothing of it. In recent years we've been able to afford to stay at nicer places and we all feel that we'd rather stay at a nicer place in a good location than have 2 rooms at a place further away or not as nice. Of course we are the sort who just use the room to sleep, we like to be on the go when we travel.

I can never understand when people say something like "the kids refuse to share a bed any more so we have to get 2 rooms". :confused: Um, who's the parent and who's paying for the room? If my kids pulled that we'd be staying home!

DaniB
04-09-2010, 12:58 PM
However, I've been noticing a trend and am wondering what others think, especially on the budget board. Growing up my family always traveled and we rarely got two rooms or had more than a general hotel room (think pop). I'm finding more and more after talking with people that this type of travel is too small of a room or unacceptable. Why can't a family of four make 1 bathroom work?What's everyone else's opinion? Is it bad for a family to share a week in a hotel room and "make it work?" Is it really that bad as parents?

Beats me :confused3

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 11 DD, 6 DS) are staying in one room. I don't see the need for the added expense of getting another room. We will only be in the room to sleep anyways.

After reading all the other posts I can see how this would only work for us while the kids are young. Once they are in their late teens, yes, we might need a 2 bedroom style room. But for now, we'll stick with one room!

secretpantssam
04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
When we were growing up, we always just had 1 POP size room. That was with my parents, my sister, my brother and me. My brother would usually get a cot. When never saw anything wrong with it and if that's how we could afford a vacation, than that's how we stayed! My parents and my sister and I are actually going back to Disney and sharing one room at the POP and we have no problem with it. We hardly spend anytime in the hotel at Disney anyway so it seems like a waste of money to me to get a second room.

flamingglobessigmund
04-09-2010, 01:07 PM

When I was growing up, we were 4 in one room. My parents never renting an adjoining room. They even split up to sleep. My brother and father in one bed, and me and my mother in another. Holiday Inn was my favorite motel back then. :rotfl:

Only one time, (as an adult) did I get 2 adjoining rooms during a very long car trip. It was in the middle of the trip, and we were staying in one place for 2 nights. It was a welcome break from everyone sleeping in the same room.

However, last year at Disney we had one room (kids are adults, with me and DH) and it worked out ok. One bathroom but 2 sinks in the dressing area. Would have loved the luxury of 2 rooms but it wasn't in the budget.

This year we are vacationing in our home state and I'm renting a 1 bedroom KOA cabin. It's got a kitchen, bathroom, 1 bedroom, and bunkbeds and futon. Plenty of space to spread out and relax. We're staying for only 3 days so it's in the budget to "splurge".

dzorn
04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
It is not necessary but it sure is nice.

Denise in MI

FoundMyPrince
04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
When we had two children we stayed at Pop, one bedroom, and there wasn't a problem.

During our last WDW trip, three kiddos, we had a two bedroom at SSR and it was soooo nice. The three kids had one bedroom and DH and I had our own room. The three kids shared two beds and had their own bathroom.

However, we just took a "budget" vacation to Colorado and the five of us stayed in a two bed hotel room (one room). We were cramped. There was not room for five people, two beds, two suitcases, sleeping bag for 3rd child etc. It will be our last trip in a one room hotel room. And, with our 4th child on the way, there is no way in this world we'd stay in a one room hotel again. We'll just have to find suites and save a little more money - but it will be worth it!

DisneyMomma81
04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
We had 4 in a Pop room last Oct. and everyone had their own bed. My mom came with us ~ she and I took the 2 beds, DS was on a AeroBed4Kids and DD slept in/on a inflatable sleeping bag ~ http://www.amazon.com/Disney-High-School-Musical-EZ-Bed/dp/B0018COOP6/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 All we did was sleep/shower-tub/get ready in the room and we were fine.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm used to more space and want to be comfortable on vacation, not crammed together.

Growing up, all 6 of us were crammed into one tiny room on the 2 vacations we did. It was awful and I hated it.

I swore that would never be the case for us. And while we have stayed moderate in one room, I'm tired of that too. DH and DS need their own beds now that DS is 5'7" and DH is bigger. I refuse to be tripping over DS sleeping on a blow up mattress on the floor on my vacation.

So this upcoming trip will be the last one that we are in one room unless we are staying deluxe with a daybed at WDW or we will get 2 rooms at a value (which I'm not too keen on those horrible rock hard beds).

For any other vacations, I will now get us 2 rooms. If we can't afford it, we don't go until we can.

sjs314
04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
We were a family of 4 and always did just one room, this year will be our first time in a 1 bdrm villa, Myself, DH, DS and his wife. I am afraid this will spoil us for ever traveling again 4 to a room. That being said I honestly see nothing wrong with it, if it allows you to stay in mod or deluxe resort over a value.

dzorn
04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Of course growing up I had 5 sibling, my parents and only 1 bathroom. :rotfl:So sleeping space was the least of my concerns.

Denise in MI

APB513
04-09-2010, 06:16 PM
This past December my two sons and I - ages 21 and 16 shared a room at Pop.

We've stayed at Pop before and have always had two main issues - privacy and space. I hated having to dress in the bathroom. So this time I took a Shower curtain and a curtain rod (an idea from the DIS! :thumbsup2 ) and put it in the doorway - privacy problem solved.

The space issue was caused by the fact that my sons don't like to sleep in the same bed. So this time I brought an air mattress - space problem solved.

All is right in the world, right? Wrong!! A new problem has cropped up - bedtimes. I like to go to bed early and get up early to do rope drop. If I go to bed at 9:00 pm the boys are not happy. My youngest son likes to stay up late and watch TV and my oldest son wanted to stay up and talk on the phone. It's hard to please everyone in a 260 square foot room!! :sad2:

From now on, we will have to get two rooms. For our trip in December, we are staying in a cabin. That should solve all of our problems :goodvibes

MMluvsWDW
04-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Everyone's answers are interesting! Now to have the talk with the husband about how we see traveling and where we'd like to points for DVC. Travel more with less accommodations or travel less and have more space. Should be interesting! Thanks for all the great insight everyone!

MickeyHereWeCome!
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
We are a family of six. When the kids were younger, we wouldn't think anything of squeezing all of us in one room. I can't tell you how many times we went to the beach...6 of us, along with our 2 Golden Retrievers..in a tiny motel room:sad2: We tried to cut back on our spending by doing that.

Well...along came our Disney addiction and we were forced to get 2 rooms. We had two connecting rooms at a value....and have never gone back! Of course, the kids are older and bigger now, and have more of those timing issues (some go to bed early, some watch t.v. late, etc.), so it would have happened sooner or later. But this has definitely changed how we travel. We can still squeeze in a room for a night (like we will do when we stop overnight on our way to FL...we will literally head right to bed and leave as soon as we get up), but anything more than that, we have to have that extra room.

This time, we're renting a house, so our "rooms" just get bigger and bigger:goodvibes. I hope I don't get spoiled by this because I really love staying on property!

This got me thinking about how we traveled as kids. We were a family of four, and the first time we ever got two rooms was when I was in college and my brother was in high school. Nobody would share a bed with my brother, and I guess that was when sharing a bed became an issue. We didn't stay in hotels much. I'm sure that would have happened earlier if we had.

eeyoresmom
04-10-2010, 07:53 AM
We're a family of five and always stay in one room.

Personally, I've never understood the big deal about the second room for the second bathroom. Though it could be because we only have one bathroom at home :rotfl2:

Maybe because you have boys? I know in our family I have to force my DD's OUT of the bathroom, and DS IN to it!

crewmatt
04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
When I was younger we did the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness, I believe there were 6 of us in one of those and that worked out the best for the money (we did hotel rooms other times). You might want to look there, you do get a pretty good deal as far as space goes.

abbyndrewmom
04-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm more concerned with the number of beds then the seperation between the rooms. Idealy for us a single room with 2 Queen beds with a pull-out couch works best for us. At disney we like POR with the trundle bed, the value with 2 dbl beds are not comfortable for our family of 4. MY son is a very restless sleeper & who ever shares with him does not get a good night sleep!

If we go on a vacation where we are spending alot of time at the resort, we will get a bigger room so we have more space to spread out. One bathroom is not a problem, but one tv can be rough!

MickeyMomOfThree
04-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Maybe because you have boys? I know in our family I have to force my DD's OUT of the bathroom, and DS IN to it!

Girls :rotfl: I have 3 of them. But she said at home they only have one bathroom which is the same for us. If you are used to only one it isn't an adjustment.

rumrunnergirl
04-10-2010, 09:32 AM

punkin
04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
So we are planning a trip to Hawaii for two weeks this summer and DH has informed me that there is no way he is sharing one hotel room with our 2 DDs for two whole weeks...talk about a budget buster. :headache:

Priorityonecb
04-10-2010, 10:12 AM
We've always gotten one room (2 dd's, now 13 and 19). We actually enjoy the closeness, and the times of giggling and talking after lights out is a treasured moment of every vacation! Sometimes the girls sleep together, sometimes they each sleep with a parent. For our family, it's always felt right. Even at home though, whatever room of the house dh and I are in...the girls are right there with us so spreading out is not something any of us are familiar with!! :rotfl:

swilshire
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
After 15 years of timesharing and staying in 2 and 3 bedroom units, we'll never go back. I'm an early riser and with the rest of the family behind the closed doors of their bedrooms, I can putter around the kitchen or read without disturbing anyone.

DH likes to stay up late watching television, so the rest of us can go to sleep and he can watch as long as he likes in the separate living room.

We love having our own kitchen because sitting in restaurants waiting for food is not our idea of a vacation. We just got back from a week on Hilton Head and only ate out four times.

DH and I sleep in a king size bed at home and neither of us sleep well if we share anything smaller. We spent one night in an Embassy Suites with two beds and a sofa bed on the way to the beach. One of our sons was getting sick, so we let him have one of the beds and the other child took the sofa bed. DH and I tossed and turned all night in the other full size bed.

We can get by with one bathroom if necessary, but having two or three certainly makes getting ready in the morning or evening a quicker process.

Four of us stayed once at the Pop Century for three or four nights and I'd never do it again. Great theming but just not enough room for us.

Sheila

5forDiz
04-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I also think another reason many families today like more than 1 room or villa-type accommodations is because family life is very different today than it was years back with both parents working in most families and even second jobs at that and overall the pace of life is alot more hectic today; so it is nice to be able to feel like there's more space that allows for an adults only zone to afford them more relaxation & some solitude while on a vacation that they've certainly earned.

:goodvibes

howlongtildisney
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I was fine with all of us staying in 1 room until I got married. Now I want my privacy, and that ruffled my mom's feathers on our WDW trip last Christmas. She was wanting my husband and me to share a room with my brother and my brother's girlfriend. That's when I offered to pay for my own room. ;)

Crystal0608
04-15-2010, 04:28 PM
We do one rooms for us 4 unless I find a suite for similar price. We usually only go to the room for changing, bathing, and sleeping anyways.

When I was a kid, my grandparents took the whole family to the beach for 1-2 weeks yearly. We would have 16-20 people in a 3-4 bedroom oceanfront or 2nd row house and ALL the kids (all girls-me, cousin, sis, 2 step-cousins, aunt's friends kid etc) shared a room. To go on vacation, I was happy to sleep anywhere :).

wdwfan16
04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I would only get two rooms if we did not legally fit in one room.

PatsGirl
04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
The only time four or five in a room has presented problems is when the ages are significantly different. It was very difficult when DS was 16 and 17 and DD was 9...she went to bed around 8 pm and up at 6 am, he wanted to stay up until 2 am and sleep until 11:) We pretty much compromised, lights out (but tv on still) by 10 and if he could manage to sleep through the noise of my leaving for coffee, taking a shower, and her watching cartoons, well he could sleep. If not, he got up, pretty grumpy for a bit, but he got up:lmao:

DawnM
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
When we only had 2 kids and they were little, it wasn't a big problem to stay in one room.

But then we got a condo one trip and we were HOOKED on more space!

We now have 3 boys and it has been wonderful to get a 2 bedroom condo with a washer/dryer, full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 3 areas with TVs (so they can watch kid shows while we unwind with grown up shows), etc....

We can't go back! We have stayed a night or two in a single hotel room, but it is so much better in a larger condo.

Dawn

ZachnElli
04-15-2010, 11:31 PM
We are a family of 5 and we prefer more than one room. But my kids are widely spaced, 10 years between youngest and oldest. My youngest just turned 5 and the last time we went, he needed a nap and an early bedtime, but the teenager didn't. And now that the teenager is pushing 6 feet tall and the 11 year old is 5'3" (hey, it's taller than me!) and only going to get taller, we feel we need the space.

duffy
04-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Another family of 5 here. We always got one room. Me and my husband in one bed, 2 teen girls in the other, and toddler daughter usually between mom and dad.

Last May, my husband and I wanted to go to Baltimore, with our youngest, who was then 13. Our oldest, at age 26, was living in DC, so she wanted to come up and meet us. Our room was lovely, but it only had a king-size bed. For the 4 of us!! (we'd used Priceline, they only guarantee a room for 2 people, so we couldn't complain.)

My oldest could have driven back home, but I called down and asked if there were any rooms with doubles or queens, and was told no. I then asked for a rollaway bed, and they sent one up. We slept 3 in a bed, and one daughter on the rollaway. This worked out fine, except the hotel had a sleep number mattress. That meant, the daughter in the middle had to sleep with one side a bit firmer than the other!! :laughing:

One thing that always irks me on the Dis is how spoiled so many people seem to be. I'm always reading, "Oh, with 4 adults you really should be in a deluxe," and "those values are really small for a family of 4", etc. :confused3

Disney Ella
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
One thing that always irks me on the Dis is how spoiled so many people seem to be. I'm always reading, "Oh, with 4 adults you really should be in a deluxe," and "those values are really small for a family of 4", etc. :confused3

If my family prefers more space and can afford larger accommodations, how is that spoiled? You don't mind being in one room, that is your preference. Other people have a different preference. That hardly makes the rest of us spoiled.

powellrj
04-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Another family of 5 here. our youngest, who was then 13. Our oldest, at age 26,

You have my family, we are also a family of 5 with the oldest being 26 and the youngest 13 with a 19 year old in the middle!

We usually do one room when we are on the road, but if we are staying several nights we do a suite or condo. Even over spring break when it was just the 3 of us we got a 2 bedroom condo for a week. It was wonderful to be able to spread out and just relax. For the last 8 or 9 years we have stayed off-site in condos in WDW. Its so nice to spead out and relax! We don't do comando anymore, we are too old for that!!! We need our down time! This year we are staying in a 4 bedroom pool house, so we will really be able to spead out!

hsmamato2
04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
we've stayed at a DVC studio for 2 weeks,the four of us. I think the 2 room thing is kinda' strange personally,as we travel together,tent camp together,stay in hotel room together..etc. The dvc is nice b/c it has the extra balcony space and a mini kitchen. I love that option! the little porch makes a big difference for space,IMHO.
I don't mind extra rooms,but the whole "one room together isn't a vacation' thing seems weird to me......:confused3

taximomfor4
04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I see no problem sharing 1 room and 1 bathroom as a family of 4. We have 6 people in our house, sharing 1 bathroom. Same as when I grew up.

Although, perhaps it depends on what you are used to?

taximomfor4
04-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Does anybody else consider the gender of your kids?

We bring an air mattress. Or else have dad sleep with ds, and I (mom) sleep with one of the girls. That's when we stay at, say, Embassy Suites (2 beds + 1 fold-out sofa) for the 6 of us.

duffy
04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
If my family prefers more space and can afford larger accommodations, how is that spoiled? You don't mind being in one room, that is your preference. Other people have a different preference. That hardly makes the rest of us spoiled.

Eh, who cares? It's not that I have an issue with them preferring it and can afford it, it's that they often feel that they NEED it. No, they don't need the space. They want it. Big difference. Lots of people here think that they are entitled to-and NEED luxuries.

I call people "spoiled" if they can't conceive of doing anything less. Being able to afford it, is beside the point. If Donald Trump can't travel without staying in the best suite available, he's spoiled if he can't even consider staying in a regular room. If I can afford a 5-star hotel, but think that staying at a 3-star is slumming, and refuse to stay there because I "need turn-down service, and a gym, and at least 5 restaurant choices, and valet parking." Saying, "It's not that I WANT them, BUT I NEED THEM", now THAT is spoiled.

Whatever.

alisonlee3
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
We are a family of 5 plus infant. We stayed at Port Orleans and had no problem sharing a room. Yes, a second bathroom would have been nice but not really needed.

jodifla
04-16-2010, 10:45 AM
It's always easier to increase your standard of living, and harder to go back.

So once you start staying in multi-rooms, it's hard to envision being crammed into one.

Every time we travel and stay in one room, we are always glad we bought DVC! I only like to do the one room thing for one or two nights.

littlbugmom
04-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm sure a family of four can make 1 bathroom work and no, I don't think it's "bad" for a family to share a room for one week. It happens all the time.

It comes down to what you want and what someone else wants. There is no right or wrong, good or bad. People vacation the way they want to and a lot of factors go into their decisions.

littlbugmom
04-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Eh, who cares? It's not that I have an issue with them preferring it and can afford it, it's that they often feel that they NEED it. No, they don't need the space. They want it. Big difference. Lots of people here think that they are entitled to-and NEED luxuries.

I doubt anyone is saying they "need" those things to survive. I mean, we are talking about a vacation...something nobody really NEEDS.

What they are saying (and I'm including myself here) is that they "need" these things to have the kind of vacation they want. I do not want to spend 10 days in a room, so I need a condo. :thumbsup2

I actually have a very good reason for needing the space and you might find it to be a valid reason or you might not...but I see no reason to go into all that because the bottom line is, the reason is valid for me and my family. We need to have a condo while on vacation.

pilesoflaundry
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
We try and squish in one room when we can as a family of 5. My kids favorite trip is a hotel room, they don't care where we go, as long as we stay in a hotel. :rotfl: So I'm guessing it doesn't make us bad parents and with one less person, you should be off the hook ;).

We never went away growing up, maybe day trips or somewhere overnight to my grams house but no vacations. I would rather skrimp and squish then never go, I want my kids to have that.

Deb & Bill
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM

I call people "spoiled" if they can't conceive of doing anything less. Being able to afford it, is beside the point. If Donald Trump can't travel without staying in the best suite available, he's spoiled if he can't even consider staying in a regular room. If I can afford a 5-star hotel, but think that staying at a 3-star is slumming, and refuse to stay there because I "need turn-down service, and a gym, and at least 5 restaurant choices, and valet parking." Saying, "It's not that I WANT them, BUT I NEED THEM", now THAT is spoiled.

Whatever.

If you go that far, who really needs to take a vacation? Why not just stay home?

taitai
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
We are a family of 5 and we ALWAYS get two rooms or a suite or a condo. I don't even think twice about it. Need 5 airline tickets, need a car that seats 5, need two rooms. It is all the same to me.

I don't think it is wrong if people want to share a room with their kids. That is their choice. It is simply not a choice I make. We need space. Not only do my husband and I need the privacy (yes, NEED, not WANT) but my children sleep MUCH better if they have their own beds and bedtimes and are not disturbed by us. If they get a good night's sleep every night, they are terrific the next day and we don't have meltdowns or fights. It really is a NEED for us.

Everyone travels differently. For everyone the term "vacation" means different things. As a previous poster commented, there is no right or wrong, just whatever makes sense for each family.

Happy planning!