PDA

View Full Version : Needed: LIGHT PACKERS!

Emme
04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I ALWAYS pack too much. Too many clothes, shoes, snacks...My hubby always says pack light and I always say I will and I just don't!! Guess I really don't know how to pack light:confused3...LOL~

Please those of you who are minimalist packers share your tips and strategies. We are traveling by car so I always think "ahhh, I'll throw in the extra pair of brown pumps, I might need them"...WHAT???

Please share what you bring and how you keep the packing light! Thanks!!!:flower3:

onelilspark
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not really a light packer, more practical. I always have enough clothes and I've never gone over the weight limit at the airport. This is what I do...I take a sheet of paper and write out all the days we'll be on vacation with space in between for notes. Then I'll go to weather.com and write down the weather for each day of the trip. I then take my paper and pencil into my bedroom where I start lying things out for each day. I make sure that I have one outfit per day and write down what I'll be wearing. If there are special events, then I'll write down that outfit too. If I'm not ready to pack yet, I'll put everything away (or to the side) and when it comes time to pack, I pull out my list and only pack what is on my list (oh, and when you lie things out, be sure to include underwear and socks!) Once everything is in the suitcase, I'll grab one more pair of bottoms, one more top, and one more pair of underwear. For all my Disney trips I bring 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flip flops, and then if we're doing any nice restaurants, I'll bring 1 pair of shoes that goes with all my nicer stuff. (I did this on a cruise and it worked fantastic! I brought a pair of silver heels that looked nice with all my outfits.) For a beach trip, I do add one more pair of flip flops that I don't mind if they get sandy.

So I don't exactly pack "light," but without fail I have everything I need and give myself some options. On the cruise I mentioned, my boyfriend didn't lie things out...he thought I was being OCD...sure enough, he didn't have enough tee-shirts OR underwear because he miscounted. I like my method, it works & I'm sticking to it :)

perfectparanoia
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I am not a light packer per se but I don't pack things I will not use.

I make a detailed list of what I am bringing and only pack that. The list is the key for me. It's like going grocery shopping. If you have a list you won't forget anything and you will be inclined to not add things.

Though I do pack those extra pairs of shoes (inside DH's) for Disney specifically.

Practically_Perfect
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm not really a light packer, more practical. I always have enough clothes and I've never gone over the weight limit at the airport. This is what I do...I take a sheet of paper and write out all the days we'll be on vacation with space in between for notes. Then I'll go to weather.com and write down the weather for each day of the trip. I then take my paper and pencil into my bedroom where I start lying things out for each day. I make sure that I have one outfit per day and write down what I'll be wearing. If there are special events, then I'll write down that outfit too. If I'm not ready to pack yet, I'll put everything away (or to the side) and when it comes time to pack, I pull out my list and only pack what is on my list (oh, and when you lie things out, be sure to include underwear and socks!) Once everything is in the suitcase, I'll grab one more pair of bottoms, one more top, and one more pair of underwear. For all my Disney trips I bring 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flip flops, and then if we're doing any nice restaurants, I'll bring 1 pair of shoes that goes with all my nicer stuff. (I did this on a cruise and it worked fantastic! I brought a pair of silver heels that looked nice with all my outfits.) For a beach trip, I do add one more pair of flip flops that I don't mind if they get sandy.

This is very similar to the method I use. It's when I don't plan my day to day outfits, and go "I think I want to bring these capris, and ooh, that top's fun to wear, and I forgot about that skirt - packing it!" that I wind up bringing WAY too much stuff...

One thing I also try to do, which I know some will think is gross, is to find some "mix and match" outfits. By this I mean some pants (usually jeans or denim material) that I'm comfortable with wearing more than once, that look good with different tops, since tops take up less space in the suitcase.

Another trick is to take the size of suitcase you would normally bring, then actually use one that is one size SMALLER than your usual. You will be more selective in what you plan to bring.

Yet another trick is to use all the allowable space in your suitcase that you can. Roll your clothes (this also helps to reduce wrinkles), stuff socks or underwear in your shoes that you're packing, etc.

Lastly, the heaviest items in a suitcase are your toiletries and your shoes. LIMIT the number of shoes you bring! Also, try to bring only travel sized toiletries with you - you can get travel sized containers at the dollar store, wal-mart, drugstores, etc. Also - cut down on the amount of make-up you bring. You won't need all the colour choices you typically have at home - put together a neutral palette of eyeshadows, one blush and a lipgloss and you should be fine!

Good luck!! :thumbsup2

SiAmCrAzY
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I am packing right now so this is something I have been obsessing over. I also tend to overpack. I did just get a smaller suitcase so maybe that will help.
I just read a great tip on another thread. Put each outfit in a 2 gal ziplock and smush out all of the air. I am heading out to buy bags right now, so I can see if this makes a differance for me. If nothing else I will be organized for once :)
I am only taking trial/ travelsize toiletries, and I am packing a tiny bottle of laundry soap to do one or two loads mid trip. I really hope that all of this combined will curb my urge to pack the kitchen sink.:lmao:

mebbradley
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Something that I did to learn to pack smarter was to make a list of outfits for each day.

Plus the one thing that helped me learn to pack less was the fact that my mom, for Christmas vacation last winter, declared that each person could use ONE duffel/small suitcase for the vacation. If you over packed and packed a bigger bag, you sat with the suitcase on your lap. I managed it but....our two exchange students sat for 4 hours with a huge suitcase on their laps. bahahaha :) :)

persimmondeb
04-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I don't pack light, but I do pack tight. I am in favor of laying it all out so you know that you have what you need, and don't have a lot of excess. Then...roll, roll, roll your clothes! They won't get wrinkly, and you'd be amazed how much less space they take up! I try to lean towards less bulky items too.

Shoes are little cargo carriers. Pack them like tiny suitcases with small items like scarves, socks, tights, jewelry, etc. in them. Putting underwear in them skeeves me out, but it would fit. This method does make the bag heavy, though.

wvnative
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
You pack like my kid. She is apparently incapable of packing light and always has a suitcase twice the size of mine. lol She has a different pair of shoes for each outfit, 5 jackets, several belts all of her primping stuff... It's kind of scary and funny at the same time.

Let's see. The nightlight and power strip stay in my suitcase at all times. It's next to impossible to travel with two laptops (although next time I think we'll just take one as she never even opened hers) and two cellphones, that all need charging, without a power strip. Anyway, I have a list in excel on my laptop. I pack for one more day than we'll be there just in case we get soaked or something. I always wear my jeans twice between washes. I tend to do the same with pajamas seeing as I shower before bed. Oh, and I should mention that we've not made the trip across the country to WDW yet but have done cruises and visited family back home on several occassions. There's not been a need for real dress clothes except for the cruise and the funerals.

Anyway, my packing list for a 4 day trip to DLR looks something like this.

5 tops (that look ok with jeans and white sneakers)
1 jacket
1 fleece
5 socks
5 undies
3 bras
3 jeans
1 pair of sneakers (we travel in the off season) the other pair gets worn on the travel day
2 sets of PJ's
my drawstring backpack (sunblock, tide2go pen, tickets, tissues, clorox wipes)
the nightlight and power strip of course
sunvisor
cell phone charger
cloth laundry bag
and the travel sized toiletries, hair clips/ponytail holders and hairbrush
Oh, and one curling iron for the days when my hair absolutely won't behave

I know it sounds like a lot but it all goes in my 22" bag without issue.

If we're driving, I also include my pillow.

One thing I've learned from living in the desert, besides you always carry water with you..lol, is to dress in light layers. A t-shirt or light knit will take up less space in a suitcase and are fine for the sunny and 70's weather we usually encounter at DLR. My fleece and DLR jackets take up less room than my other jackets and are warmer.

Emme
04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
YES! I knew there were people out there that had a clue~:hug:

Some really great ideas! Love the idea of planning all your outfits daily and then packing. Also, the switching and mix matching of several tops with a few bottoms~ Hmmm, I have to try and pare down the shoes and necklaces to mix and match as well...keep those ideas coming and THANK YOU:flower3:

TinkerBellSam
04-09-2010, 06:42 AM
My sister always says, "half as many clothes and twice as much money!" Ususally the best advice. Have a great time!

disneyag
04-09-2010, 07:28 AM
GREAT website www.onebag.com!

PrincessPiperMommy
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Wow this is a great site!!! :goodvibes Thank you for sharing.

DisGirl23
04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I pick out a color palette and go with that. If I have browns in my choices then there's no blacks. I should be able to wear any 2 tops with one pair of shorts. Hope that made sense... basically, I should be able to create 7 different looks with 3 or 4 tops and shorts. Yes, I'm always tempted to toss in all those other tops that want to come with too but, I practice restraint.
I always do a load of laundry halfway through the trip. Usually while we're hanging by the pool. I buy the Dropps laundry pacs. Looks like a dishwasher tab but for your laundry. Pack a couple of those, a few dryer sheets, and a roll of quarters.
I pack dressy flip flops instead of more elaborate shoes. They take up practically no room in your suitcase.
I purchase travel size toiletries and toss most of them before we leave. An empty toiletry bag is a great way to pack all those little trinkets you purchased during your visit.
I only ever take 1 22" suitcase for my 8 day trips.

stego
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I must have started the word document the moment we got back in '07. It's been revised over 100 times...and that is a very low ball.

I started with days/dates. Then each day/what park. Each shirt is themed to each park. Each day off from the park is themed to our resort.

I've matched my 2 shirts to 1 pair shorts; following the PP's suggestion. Mid-trip I am doing a load to specifically slow me down. 2 hours committed to relaxing at our resort is NOT a bad thing.

My experience is that the latest my clothes are on for the day is at 7am and the earliest I change out of them into sleep wear is 10pm at night. Considering the likelihood of warmer temp's in June; yeah, that outfit is done until it's cleaned...

I've packed 1 pair of walking sandals/1 pair of recovery slides. My experience in the parks is to swap out 1 pair each day...kinda of giving that pair of sandals a day of rest.

Since I've gone over my list 1000 times; it's down to an exact science. Everything I pack has a purpose. Think of a triathlete: the top guns are minimilasts through seasoned experience...as all of us DIS'ers are from our many trips to the world.

ginnymack
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
It is an obvious choice, but hasn't been mentioned yet...plan a laundry day. I hate the idea of doing laundry, but for a week long trip for 4 and paying to check bags at the airport, I think I might have to consider it.

If you are going during a really warm time of year doing laundry may really be worth it- nothing like having a fresh clean outfit after an afternoon break! If I had to pack for that, I would have to shave a day off the trip to pay for the extra luggage! ;)

musclemouse
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't know how we did it on our last trip to Disney (Dec 08). DH, DS, DS and I each carried our own suit case (1 each). Thinking about what we came home with un-used leads me to think of packing less this time. Boys to share a case and DH and I to share a case. Also each of us to bring a carry on. We are really quite simple. No dressing up. Just going to have fun exploring the parks. If need be, I will do some wash. All the make up I need fits in my purse. Hair dries naturally with just curling iron to touch it up. No large bottles of shampoo, soap, conditioner, etc. :thumbsup2

LuvMyEAR
04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Since we travel south in the cooler months, I tend to store my basic summer clothes in my suitcase. As we get closer to our departure, I start taking things OUT. My goal is take as little as possible, maximum 3 of anything. One to wear, one to change into, and one that is rinsed out and hung to dry. I'd rather have space in my suitcase to take MORE home with me!

MAYNARDS99
04-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I do this for just about every Disney trip.

Plan a clothes list for each day, put the list aside for a week, then review and modify as necessary. Then remove one complete days worth of clothes. Yes, don't even bring enough for the whole trip. Therefore you MUST buy something new.

ALL casual clothes, such as T-shirts, socks, underwear, and shorts should be ready to be thrown out or given to Goodwill. You know what I mean, the little holes in socks, and stretched out underwear, that ugly shirt from Six Flags, etc. Heck, I've even tossed out sneakers that were just not nice at the end of a week.

Enjoy your vacation while keeping an eye out for some new clothes. Just about all of my ties come from my vacation trips.

jamstew
04-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Mix & match, and a very basic color pallate for 1 week:

(1) four bottoms (1 or 2 white, 1 or 2 khaki & maybe a plaid thrown in), (2) two tops for each bottom (combination of tees, tanks & a couple of 3/4- sleeve shirts to layer over the tanks), (3)
1 extra pair of shoes, (4) underwear & PJ's. If I have laundry available, I'd only pack half that.

My cosmetics & toiletries are in my Owners Locker, but I could still pack in a 22" suitcase even if they weren't.

Carry-on: Laptop, camera/charger, phone/charger, medications & a book in a small nylon backpack.

I helped my BDF (best DISer friend) pack for three weeks in India, cutting her down from three suitcases, a rollaboard & a backpack to two suitcases & a rollaboard, and she still had stuff she didn't wear.

minijenny
04-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought I was a light packer until I met DH. I swear the man could pack for a yearlong excursion in a single carryon. The most important thing he taught me was that just because I use it/wear it on vacation doesn't mean I need to pack it. So that means, fewer clothes (and yes, we will do laundry on our 6 day trip), fewer books, and fewer shoes. I only take a pair of Crocs to walk around the parks in and go to the pool, and a nice pair of sandals for evening meals. Since I have to wear something traveling to and from WDW, this means packing only 1 pair of footwear. Of course it helps that I have tiny feet :).

We fly, so I like to wear my heavy stuff and pack my lighter things. This also means I only bring along 1 pair of pants. As others have said, stick to clothes that mix-and-match such as neutral or solid colors. One tip that I found helps is to bring one nice outfit and a scarf or two. I have a dress that looks totally different and cool by just adding a scarf. Two outfits in one! The scarf takes up almost no space especially compared to a second dress or skirt/top combo.

To lighten my load even further, I don't bring any toiletries except contact solution and toothpaste/toothbrush. I can live a week with Disney care products.

Finally, keep in mind what can easily be shared by a family vs. what each individual should bring himself. For instance, we only pack 1 camera, 1 laptop, 1 phone charger, 1 tube of toothpaste, and 2 books that we share.

My goal is for my bag (carryon size) to be no more than 1/2 to 2/3 full when I pack it because I always find something to take home with me. And I'm the one carrying it through the airport, so I have no one to blame but myself if I've packed too much.

AKL_Megs
04-25-2010, 02:52 PM
I travel for work, so I am a very good "light packer".

If I will be gone for 5 days at WDW, this is what I pack...

4 shirts
2 "dinner" shirts (that can double as "emergency shirts")
4 pairs jeans (I wear jeans year long)
2 pairs shorts (one to wear to the pool, one to wear in case it is too hot to handle jeans)
2 pairs sandals (I don't do shoes. They take up too much room, and I get too hot. I wear "fancy" flip-flop sandals to the parks.)
5 pair undies
1 extra bra
2 sets of pajamas
1 jacket/sweater/fleece (black, it goes with everything)

Princess Steph
04-26-2010, 08:58 AM
My problem is not clothes, it all the other "stuff". Water shoes, toys, ponchos, spray fans, flashlights, power strip, 4 cans of sunblock, the list goes on and on. I bring a whole OTC medication kit incase someone gets a stomach ache. I'm afraid I'll need something and won't have it. I have a whole suitcase filled with non-clothing items. I could use some help.

d's do disney
04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Princess Steph ITA with you. I have the same problem. It's all of the "little things" that when you add them up aren't so little. I get sooooo excited when I get a new idea from these boards, but it's getting to be tough to find room for all of these "MUST HAVE's". How do other people do it? Do you limit them or do you have some brilliant packing ideas I can get excited about instead adding to my packing list.

DisGirl23
04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
A lot of people ship a box of "must haves" down to their resort so it's there when they arrive. And some people will purchase a pre-paid shipping box, bring that with them to ship stuff back home as well. There's definitely a science to it!

dyna
04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Traveling on a harley to disney for 2 weeks an having to get everything I need for 2 weeks in 1 saddle bag that is smaller than most carryons has me packing very lite. It does not help that we need jeans for riding but shorts for parks an its at least a 2 day ride to disney. We have learned to stuff extra shoes an to take advantage of our space. DH can pack tighter than I can so all I do is lay my stuff out an DH packs. Even got my basic make up in there an a book to read.

In August we going to disneyland be ridin for 4 weeks total guess I better like those clothes huh?

Sagginit
04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
i learned to pack light going to live in europe for three weeks with one suitcase. i wore the same things over and over again, i also bought extras there so i really didnt even need all i brought. i found when i went to disney i overpacked shoes, snacks, and extras. flip flops did not give the support needed for long park walks so i found i really only needed one pair for the pool. i too made a list and try to pack lots of neutrals and often pick either brown or black so things dont clash. think about what you wore on your last trip and what you did not. i also use those mesh laundry bags to keep small items organized. fill any empty space, shoes with small items, bra cups with socks help them keep their shape. books are heavy, you are better off getting a magazine and tossing it since you prolly wont spend hours reading at disney.

disneychard
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I think I need lessons, we go to wdw every year, and there are three of us, and I have six suitcases and three carry on bags. My husband always tells me what are you bringing?

:):)

Missytara
04-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I figured out a few years ago, I didn't need to bring 16 polo shirts - two per day. The theory was I wore one during the day and a fresh one at night.

After a trip overseas, I cut back to 9, just in case one gets stained. I wear the fresh one at night, and then wear it again during the day when I don't care if it gets wet, sweat-stained or just plain dirty.

I also pack basic colors, so I can wear something in the evening twice. Like I can wear my capris twice usually. Pack plain colors like khaki, white, navy, etc.

I pack one sweater for the evening that matches everything. Last year, I got a black/grey sweater and it looked nice with just about every color shirt I had - red, purple, white, rose, yellow, etc.

I always wear my heaviest pair of shoes on the plane, so it is my sneakers usually. I bring one pair of sandals (white) and one pair of topsiders (tan) and that is it.....

Missytara
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I think I need lessons, we go to wdw every year, and there are three of us, and I have six suitcases and three carry on bags. My husband always tells me what are you bringing?

:):)

OMG - my friend went on her first cruise a few years ago and she took...... are you ready..... eleven pair of shoes. She was only gone for seven nights.

perfectparanoia
04-30-2010, 02:30 PM
OMG - my friend went on her first cruise a few years ago and she took...... are you ready..... eleven pair of shoes. She was only gone for seven nights.

I have packed seven pairs of shoes for three days before. One of the benefits of having small feet. I love my shoes and I wear them all!

I only bring four to Disney though: two pairs of sandals, one runners and flip flops for the pool. Disney is definitely not a fashion show.

NotUrsula
05-01-2010, 11:27 PM
The best tip I have for packing for a family is NEVER put anything in the suitcase until you put everything in the suitcase (and yes, that is ONE suitcase! We check one 27" for the 4 of us, plus one small rollaboard with one days' emergency clothes and our toiletries kit in it. There is also a backpack containing electronics, etc., but that's small.)

Lay everything you plan to pack out on a large bed or table so that you can inspect for duplicates and pieces of clothing that will not cross-match at least one other item. Pick a color family for each person and stick to it, because that way you'll only need to bring 2 prs. of shoes at the outside, and that only if you need a nicer pr. for a fancier dinner. My entire family wears sports sandals at the parks, and the since the guys wear TEVA Dozers, they can get away with them at dinner, and the baby is cute in her pink crocs.

If you have a habit of overpacking, stop when you have everything laid out, and put half the stuff directly back into the closet. This lets you mentally say, "There, I chose it, it looked great, but not great enough -- I've got a better choice for that day." Never pack more than 4 days' worth of outfits except for a small child; you can bring 2 more spares for them. Plan to do laundry once every five days; if you have 4 or fewer in the family then 2 loads should be sufficient to get everything clean again -- consider that in your color choices.

Shih-Tzu
05-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Here's what we each took last time for a whole week, and we made out just fine: (and I'm one of those people that always seems to drop bits of food...:laughing:)

We wore on our flight down - a golf-style shirt (with collar) a pair of light blue jeans and sneakers ... we carried a hoodie-type material zip up sweater (although sometimes the flights are cool and you may want to wear it on board).

In a small bag for carry-on we had 2 toothbrushes, 1 small tube tooth paste, a bathing suit and pair of flip-flops for each of us..(we could still swim even if our luggage didn't arrive right away), our meds and our lanyards with see-through pouch for KTTW and our camera. Although some people don't like the soap, shampoo, conditioner provided, we know our hair won't fall out from only using it for a week :lmao: We took turns "baby sitting" the carry on during airport stop overs, on the ME, etc....

In our other bag (which technically could have been taken on board due to it's size but we chose to pay to check it in to avoid the "over head bin scramble" we each had.....
3 tops
2 pr shorts or capris (make sure all the tops go with all the bottoms)-remember you are wearing a pair of long pants enroute so you have them to fall back on as well).
4 pr undies
1 pr p.j's
1 pr sandals that weren't flip-flops
4 pr socks (for the sneakers on park days)
copies of our passports and travel docs just in case
When you pack the clothes, lay them flat, or you can roll them REALLY tight -
Between the 2 of us we also had:
4 Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets
4 rain ponchos from the dollar store
2 packages of Crystal Lite just in case we had to "disguise" the taste of the water - we took them out of the box and they took up a lot less room....
1 extra memory card for the camera (takes up space about the size of a book of matches.

So, how does this work ????- there's were two afternoons during our stay that we spent at the pool, and the laundry was right beside the pool area at our resort - so mid-week, we threw the clothes in the wash (one dark load and one light load) while we swam, after a bit went over and moved them into the dryer...and lounged and swam some more....plus most people always end up buying a t-shirt or something during their stay anyway....and we still had two of the laundry sheets if we needed to wash again....:laundy:..

We were on vacation, so the cell phone stayed home (plus those roaming charges:eek:).
Over the years, I've learned how to pare down the list/what I need for different types of trips - sometimes I need to take more but I know what I need for Disney and the types of restaurants, etc I'll be in....of course with this list, you can see that I don't plan on doing any fine dining...but that's just my style.

jenn-n-okla
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
There are 4 of us in our family. My goal is to pack as much as possible in backpacks and carryons. We use L.L. Bean luggage and backpacks. I seriously think some survivor guy like Bear could live out of them for weeks on end.:surfweb:
Lots of stuff can be shared like someone else said. (toothpaste, hair brush)
We use the soap and shampoo from the hotel (staying at Poly).

For 10 days here is our basic list:
jeans or capri pants (wear on plane)
bras X 3
undies X 5
socks (we have a rent a car so I plan to buy from Wal-mart and then just trash them)
crocs (wear them and use them for the pool too)
T-shoes (one pair)
3 jean shorts (go with everything and you can wear them more than one day)
4 shirts
2 night shirts
bathing suit
rain coat (ours are Disney ones we bought several years ago...not the ponchos but the coats)
Hat (wear)
sunglasses (wear)
phones (wear)
cameras (in backpacks)
fanny packs (wear and load them down with FAA acceptable items sunscreen lotion, toothpaste ect.)
all RX meds
I use the makeup/face powder all in one. I don't wear much makeup anyway so this will get me fy for a whole week.

I have in the past rolled everything super tight but I am going to practice the bundle folding I saw online as it is said that gets things even tighter.

I have a more detailed list with check marks if anyone is interested.:laughing:

LuluLovesDisney
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
My tip is very simple. Pack for reality not imagination.

I will explain. First, I used to be a huge overpacker, now I am a reformed medium-packer so as to comply with all the airlines' new regulations. Here is my before and after:

Before:
- This dress is beautiful and tropical. It would look so nice at dinner at the Polynesian! These green shoes look gorgeous with it, too. Let's pack those!
- These 10 t shirts are all Disney shirts! I love them, extra t shirts are always great to have. I will take aqua sandals to go with the aqua top and these pink ballet flats to go with this pink one . . .
- Ooh, we're going to Jiko. This skirt looks African print, let me get that out, but the four pairs of sandals I've already packed aren't really the best look with that, let me get these black strappy heels, oh, they're perfect. Oh, and I should bring my copper eyeshadow to bring out the tones of the skirt!
- 7 days, 7 pr shorts, 3 pr capris, just in case.
- Flat iron, curling iron, etc.
- I should bring sneakers just in case.
- Cute sarong to go over bathing suit.

After:
- Last time I only wore 3 of the 10 t shirts because I bought 3 new ones that I *had* to have in the parks, never wore the sneakers, never flat ironed my hair once. I didn't wear the sarong, I just used a towel to cover myself on the way to the pool. I only wore 2 pairs of the sandals because all the other shoes were too uncomfortable and that cute dress never got worn because I didn't feel like going back to get changed before dinner that night. And, I only used brown eyeshadow, mascara, lip gloss and concealer. All those coordinating eyeshadows and sandals just sat in the room. I never wore all 7 shorts, I wore 3 pairs twice each and my capris!

Reflect on what you packed last time. What did you use and love? What got dragged to FL and dragged back unused. Use that info to plan for the next trip. It sounds simple, but it has really helped. I would often imagine how what I would be like, not think about what I really did. And remember you will buy things, so if you plan on buying shirts, don't bring extras or you'll have a lot of extras traveling with you.

Now I would bring 2 capris, 3 pr shorts, a beautiful sundress or two, 2 bathing suits, undies and 2 pairs of sandals, one dressy one not. I stick to brown OR black each trip, so I never have to think about if my sunglasses, belt, shoes, bag, etc. match.

Oh, and no you will not have time to paint your nails in FL and you will not read 4 books and 8 magazines by the pool or on the plane/in the car. :)

mickmouse08
05-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Great ideas everyone! Thanks!

MousekaMaddi
05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
DD7 and I go 2 weeks in July and she wears all customs so our large shared suitcase is 80% HERS!! LOL:thumbsup2
I buy 5 pair of NEW WHITE CAPRIS and pack 5 tops to match them, and then I do laundry once while we are hanging at the pool. We are commando parks so pool time is rare...........my DD7 LOVES laundry day cuz it means she gets to hit the pool fohttp://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/mousekamaddi/DSC00189.jpgr 2 hours!! :rotfl:

LisaCat
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
My problem is not clothes, it all the other "stuff". Water shoes, toys, ponchos, spray fans, flashlights, power strip, 4 cans of sunblock, the list goes on and on. I bring a whole OTC medication kit incase someone gets a stomach ache. I'm afraid I'll need something and won't have it. I have a whole suitcase filled with non-clothing items. I could use some help.

LOL! I see we have the same packing motto, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!". I've gotten better over the years, but still have a LONG way to go! And I can get a LOT of stuff into a small space, but then the bag goes over weight.

metsno1
05-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Great thread, and some helpful hints!

We're going in August for 14 nights. Me, DW, and two DD's (12 and 10). Our bottom line is that each of us will get a rolling carry-on and a backpack. Fit whatever the heck you want into it, but we're NOT NOT NOT paying for checked luggage!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I figure that for 14 nights/15 days, we'll pack for 5 days and plan on doing laundry twice.

For me personally, I tend to wear swim suits that look a lot like regular shorts. I have four great pairs of super lightweight North Face shorts that all have swimsuit liners in them that I'll wear to the Parks and/or to the pool every day.

I'll pack about a half dozen shirts;4 or 5 of my fav t-shirts, and 1 or 2 polo shirts.

1 "dressier" pair of shorts.

Undies.

Wicking socks.

Crocs. Leather sandals. 1 pr. sneakers.

Poncho (3rd trip for our Disney ones!).

Two hats (one baseball and the other for heavier rain).

PJ's (long pants and long sleeve, cuz we like it **cold** in the room when we sleep).

1 long sleeve mid-weight shirt. Sometimes in the Summer, I'm really glad to have that in my pack when we go into an AC'ed restaurant. It's **freezing** in some of them.

And that's about it in the rolling carry-on (and oh yeah, if I'm feeling skimpy, I'll just choose what I wear on the plane from the above list rather than adding another outfit into the mix).

In the backpack, I'll throw my sunglasses, camera equipment, a few snacks, computer and the necessary stuff that goes with it, maybe a deck of cards, and any OTC meds that we want to bring.

The girls lists will look pretty similar. DW's carry-on will be the challenge, but she's even cheaper than me and the notion of paying for a checked bag hits her the wrong way too :thumbsup2!

As I type this, I find myself really going into "backpacking" mode when creating my list. This list looks an awful lot like what I take on a decent length hike in good weather! Maybe those experiences have prepped me for being a Disney Ultralight kinda guy!!:cool1:

LuluLovesDisney
05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Here's my tip on OTC medication. I once took a cosmetic bag filled with different kinds and when I got a headache the tylenol was in that bag in the room not in the parks, anyway. Having that huge bag made me more likely to leave it behind, so it wasn't there when I needed it. So, I take a sample size pack of headache med and stomach med that fits into my wristlet. That's it. If I need something else, if I get an earache or sore throat, etc. I will have to get the medicine from the resort gift shop or call a drug store that delivers.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I did my first round of packing my suitcase for our trip.

In additon to my own clothes, I also have all the extras in my suitcase - so that means it's a suitcase that is really overstuffed.

Next Thursday (my day off work), I'll be going back thru it all and making myself narrow it down.

Then the Thursday after that, is the final go thru of my suitcase and then pack everyone else.
Luckily we are driving so weight doesn't matter but I still want to get that suitcase under 50lbs.

I can do it - yes I can! :rotfl:

ZoZo
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm also a compulsive over-packer. My strategies to cut down have been:

* Lay out the clothes you want to take, then cut the amount by half.

* Plan to do laundry mid-trip. Saves tons of room.

* Definitely check the weather report before you go. On my trip last October, I ended up with nearly all tank tops, shorts and sandals, because it was supposed to be record breaking high temps. In addition to record highs, we had record-cold temperatures for the last few days of my 10-day trip. Wish I'd had a little more warm stuff! What I wouldn't have given for a pair of warm socks!

Planning fanatic mom
05-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I am an over-packer too!:confused3

We usually drove, and the rule was always "If it fits in the van, take it." We've always taken out own pillows, a drying rack, and beach towels.

Well this time, we are flying. I will have to pay to check the bags. I am also only taking 2 suitcases for the 4 of us, whether my teenage daughters like it or not.:scared1:

To the OP, thanks for posting this thread. I have learned a lot.:)

dawnball
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I ALWAYS pack too much. Too many clothes, shoes, snacks...My hubby always says pack light and I always say I will and I just don't!! Guess I really don't know how to pack light:confused3...LOL~

Please those of you who are minimalist packers share your tips and strategies. We are traveling by car so I always think "ahhh, I'll throw in the extra pair of brown pumps, I might need them"...WHAT???

Please share what you bring and how you keep the packing light! Thanks!!!:flower3:

I'm not by nature a light packer. Especially when I drive. There's so much room. Look at how much I could fit down by our feet as long as never twitch for the next 12 hours!

So the way I restrain myself is by declaring that absolutely everything must fit in the trunk. One reasonably sized bag for each person. One small box of condo-necessities/snacks. One laptop bag with electronics and paperwork inside. If I want a pillow or a blanket - it has to fit in my suitcase. Then I just pack and repack until everything I feel I -must- take fits within my limits.

I suggest that you think about why you want to pack light and optimize for that, though. I find that driving is much more relaxing if that car isn't full of junk and I have good visibility out all the windows. I also know that I'll be living in 1500sq feet with six people and that we all tend to bring too much stuff. My mother will bring her entire house full of food, so I try to only bring the bare minimum of food/kitchen items. I dislike sorting my daughter's toys from my niece's things, so I'm limiting toys. I don't mind packing up lots of clothes and toting them in and out of the condo (and there are closets/dressers to keep them in) - so throwing in an extra pair of sandals and every bathing suit we own works for me.

anonymousegirl
05-21-2010, 01:01 PM
I've been packing light for years, including 5 weeks in Australia with a 22'' rolling bag and a large purse. I do the color-coordination, the sharing of items (like toothpaste, shampoo, books), and the doing the laundry thing.

For WDW how and what I pack varies by the season. In winter I bring one outfit per day for 4 days and plan a laundry break. In the hotter months I plan for 2 outfits per day but no more than 5 outfits. That may mean I do more laundry, but in the hot months I alway take a mid-day break and the parks are open late so going back to the hotel and doing a quick load is not a problem.

Some suggestions:

Severely LIMIT the shoes. I have plantar fascitis and I just make sure I have broken-in comfortable walking shoes (2 prs) with good support, plus flip flops, and a pair of nice looking flats for evening if we're dressing up a bit for dinner.

A Kindle or other e-reader-- this is a godsend for voracious speed readers like me. On that Australia trip I took 5 books, read one on the plane and gave it to DH to read and then read and left behind the others (makes room in my suitcase for souvenirs, but makes the case pretty heavy and overseas airlines weigh bags)

Color-coordinate to minimize amount of clothes and shoes needed.

Check the weather just before traveling and pack accordingly.

Make a list and stick to it

Layers. If I am going to Europe in winter I do bring a wool coat since cities are dressier, but otherwise I start with silk underwear and long sleeved poly-blend blouses and jeans with warm socks, scarf, hat gloves and a medium jacket and then layer for each day.

Minimize toiletries--these can add up quickly and add weight (a surprising amount) to your bag.

for Disney World if you go more than 2 times a year, consider Owner's Locker to store extra shoes, ponchos, full size bottles of laundry detergent and cosmetics, Hidden Mickey books, etc.

Also check out a website called minimus dot com. They have travel sized packets of toiletries, laundry, first aid, food, etc and cheaper prices than drugstores with a better selection.

RebeccaB
05-23-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm queen of lite packers. There are three of us, thus three carry ons. Inevitably, even then, not everything gets worn. We wear our light weight jackets when we leave, I wear my tevas and the kiddo wears her crocs. My extra tevas are packed. We also bring a backpack. I will say tho, that one day I will check everything just to avoid the dragging of the carry-ons through the airports :scared: I only pack one pair of long pants for each of us due to when we go (usually sept/early oct).
However, this is after 4 trips. I know I overpacked our first trip. This year I'm even leaving my hair dryer behind and using the one at the resort. ;) My theory now is this: I'm not going to the middle of nowhere, and chances are if I forget it I can find it there. The only thing I cannot forget is our prescription meds (thank the gods for xanax lol), and my glasses.
I do think that the more trips you get under your belt,the less obsessive a packer you become. Unless you are my aunt, who still packs the kitchen sink.

delaneyc52
05-23-2010, 05:21 PM
After 50 plus plus visits, I've finally learned how to pack. Oy... did it really take me that long?? One person here posted that it is reality vs. what you think you need and that is so so true. Shoes: Sneaks for gym; croc flip flops for park, one nice sandal for dinner. Capris, one sundress, several light tops. I will tell you that my electronics probably weigh more than my clothes ...laptop, ipod, camera, kindle... And man oh man...that wine corkscrew..... maybe it really is all the incidentals that weigh us down !!

delaneyc52
05-23-2010, 05:23 PM
DD7 and I go 2 weeks in July and she wears all customs so our large shared suitcase is 80% HERS!! LOL:thumbsup2
I buy 5 pair of NEW WHITE CAPRIS and pack 5 tops to match them, and then I do laundry once while we are hanging at the pool. We are commando parks so pool time is rare...........my DD7 LOVES laundry day cuz it means she gets to hit the pool fohttp://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/mousekamaddi/DSC00189.jpgr 2 hours!! :rotfl:

What an absolutely adorable picture!!!

chaoslobster
05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
All these tips on how to pack lightly... but everyone's talking about mix and match clothes and don't bring too many shoes? Clothes are not my problem in the slightest. I can fit my entire clothing for a 10 day stay into my carryon, no issue. Summer tops are so tiny.

My problem with overpacking is all that OTHER stuff. I've gotten better over the years, but I still bring two pieces of luggage that typically weigh 40 - 45 lbs each. Of course, a lot of it doesn't need to come home with me again so my luggage gets a lot lighter for the return trip. I know I can buy extra batteries and sunblock and coffee at Disney -- but I don't want to pay the absolutely outrageous prices I know I'll get charged because I'm trapped in WDW and can't run down to the local Wal-Mart. I can't rent a car so if I need something while I'm there, and I didn't bring it, I have to pay whatever Disney charges. I have to budget all year to be able to GO to Disney, period... I can't afford to pay twice the usual price for a package of AA batteries because my camera died halfway through the trip.

Ditto for OTC medication and other medical supplies. I bring loads of blister band-aids, roll of gauze, 2oz travel bottle peroxide. Small sewing kit with a few hand needles, clear thread, some extra buttons and hooks. Mini hot glue gun, clear tape, scissors, Swiss Army knife that has a corkscrew and screwdriver. Then there's the food: I think this year I have at least 10 pounds combined of Jolly Ranchers, beef jerky, ground coffee and sugar\creamer packets, and Entenmann's single-wrapped cheese danishes.

Again, sure, I could buy all this stuff at Disney, or other similar stuff. But why should I? If I feel like munching on a snack and open a packet of beef jerky or a lollipop instead of paying $4 for a box of popcorn or pretzel, and I do this just five times during my whole trip (10 days), that's $20 I would have paid. Added to all the quick breakfasts I didn't pay $10 for on my way through the Pop food court to catch a bus, and the batteries I didn't pay $8 for when the headlight on my scooter died out, and the $5 I didn't pay for a tiny packet of Aleve or Tylenol, so on and so forth. All those small purchases add up when you're stuck on Disney property without a car for 10 days. And Southwest allows me to bring two pieces of luggage up to 50 pounds each. So heck yeah, I'm going to pack them as full as I possibly can with things that I "don't need" to bring.

I'm an overpacker and proud of it, LOL.

perfectparanoia
05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
...This year I'm even leaving my hair dryer behind and using the one at the resort. ;) ....

Careful about not packing the hairdryer. I have not packed mine before and suffered each time because the ones at the Disney Resorts are so 'safe' that they short every 30 seconds or so. Not so good when you have long or thick hair. Try finding a light travel one.

englishteacha
05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a question that might save my marriage: How do you roll clothes so they don't take up as much space? Do you fold them in half the long way then roll tightly? Do you not fold at all and just lay them out and roll?

I'm not as bad for packing for Disney because we can do wash in our condo, and I don't mind laundry at all. My trouble is when we go to summer camp to volunteer for a week and have no access to laundry facilities! Summer in Maine means weather between 40 and 90 degrees, and it changes so fast that you might start the day in jeans and a sweatshirt and by lunch you're in a tank top and shorts. That means I pack a wide variety of clothes, and jeans and sweats take up room!

metsno1
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
All these tips on how to pack lightly... but everyone's talking about mix and match clothes and don't bring too many shoes? Clothes are not my problem in the slightest. I can fit my entire clothing for a 10 day stay into my carryon, no issue. Summer tops are so tiny.

My problem with overpacking is all that OTHER stuff. I've gotten better over the years, but I still bring two pieces of luggage that typically weigh 40 - 45 lbs each. Of course, a lot of it doesn't need to come home with me again so my luggage gets a lot lighter for the return trip. I know I can buy extra batteries and sunblock and coffee at Disney -- but I don't want to pay the absolutely outrageous prices I know I'll get charged because I'm trapped in WDW and can't run down to the local Wal-Mart. I can't rent a car so if I need something while I'm there, and I didn't bring it, I have to pay whatever Disney charges. I have to budget all year to be able to GO to Disney, period... I can't afford to pay twice the usual price for a package of AA batteries because my camera died halfway through the trip.

Ditto for OTC medication and other medical supplies. I bring loads of blister band-aids, roll of gauze, 2oz travel bottle peroxide. Small sewing kit with a few hand needles, clear thread, some extra buttons and hooks. Mini hot glue gun, clear tape, scissors, Swiss Army knife that has a corkscrew and screwdriver. Then there's the food: I think this year I have at least 10 pounds combined of Jolly Ranchers, beef jerky, ground coffee and sugar\creamer packets, and Entenmann's single-wrapped cheese danishes.

Again, sure, I could buy all this stuff at Disney, or other similar stuff. But why should I? If I feel like munching on a snack and open a packet of beef jerky or a lollipop instead of paying $4 for a box of popcorn or pretzel, and I do this just five times during my whole trip (10 days), that's $20 I would have paid. Added to all the quick breakfasts I didn't pay $10 for on my way through the Pop food court to catch a bus, and the batteries I didn't pay $8 for when the headlight on my scooter died out, and the $5 I didn't pay for a tiny packet of Aleve or Tylenol, so on and so forth. All those small purchases add up when you're stuck on Disney property without a car for 10 days. And Southwest allows me to bring two pieces of luggage up to 50 pounds each. So heck yeah, I'm going to pack them as full as I possibly can with things that I "don't need" to bring.

I'm an overpacker and proud of it, LOL.

I hear you on the food and snacks! But that's one of the draws of the DDP for us. I just don't want to pack and carry all that stuff, and when I've paid in advance for my food, I don't feel like I have to worry so much about it!

As far as some of the other stuff goes, I just feel like the chances of us really needing any of it are pretty slim. All of our electronics are rechargeable, so no extra batteries needed. And if we do end up needing some of the basics, I'll use one of the services that delivers for $5.00 and doesn't charge much of a premium. I suppose it's a bit of a roll of the dice, but we usually come out OK!!

Oh, and under no circumstances will anyone in my family ever be allowed to pack a hot glue gun for Disney World!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Tinkerbell1989
05-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Hehe, I have no choice but to travel light... we have to fly from the UK, so i certainly don't want to pay extra for overpacking.

And as we're staying for two weeks, we do a reasonable amount of washing, because we only pack enough clothes for a week to mix and match.

But then again, two weeks? That's a whole lotta Disney!! Yay!

xxx

Virtucomp
05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
We went light on this last trip. I got DW to forget about heavy cloths just in case. We brought extra sox and t-shirts but planned on re-using a pair of shorts or two.

We actually brought more shirts than we needed since we bought some t-shirts in the park and wanted to wear those.

We flew so we had one change of clothes each in the carry on. I brought the chargers for everything including one for each cell phone but did not really need to since they both use the same one and could be charged on alternate nights.

I brought my charger for MP3 player but did not need it since I only used it on the two flights.

We brought extra sneakers and flip flops in case of rain and did not need the sneakers.

My suggestion is to have one light flip flop pair and one walking shoe pair. If it starts to rain switch to flop flop to save on soggy wet sox. We carried a string pack with water, $1 store ponchos and flip flops and hats when we were not wearing them.

CandyHead09
05-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm a pretty practical and light packer.
Making a list always helps whether on paper or your computer any free time you have watching tv or whatever MAKE A LIST!

Think what toiletries do I need toothbrush/paste, makeup, do I really need shampoo when my hotel provides it? facewash, lotion, ect. gather it all up (anything that can make a mess goes in a plastic bag) then put it into a small toiletry bag which you can find at wal mart get two one for that stuff one for jewlery if you want to take an extra necklace or pair of earrings something like that. Oh and suntan lotion!

how many days are you going? Make an outfit for everyday best way to pack is to fold the clothes and then roll them neatly and stack them on top of each other put rubber bands over each outfit then when you get there you can just pick it up and wear it unless you have specific specialty shirts for specific days then put a post it on it with which day your going to wear that outfit. Bring hats if your worried about the sun a few pairs of pjs.

If your taking a plane: what do you really need in your purse or carry on? Electronics of course, any disney guide, wallet, your jewlery, books for the plane, a change of clothes if your luggage gets lost basically anything valuable plus essential things you'll keep with you in your purse or backpack on your trip.

I think I've gone over everything? Make your list of essential things then make a seperate list of what else pops into your mind then REALLY think about if you need them or not and check them off if you find that it's not terribly important (such as shampoo or soap, blowdryer, asprin, ect. all thing found in disney)

gonesaleing
06-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree that my clothes are light but incidentals are what weigh me down. That is why I ship all non-perishable snacks and toiletries down to the resort ahead of time. Only thing I bring on the plane is my carry-on bag with clothing and tote bag.

I must fess up that what stresses me most is deciding which bag to bring with me. I discovered Vera Bradley mini-hipster for the parks but I still need a larger purse for the plane and 2 different backpacks, small and large for touring and a tote bag for water parks and cloth shopping bags for our food store run. I spend days trying to figure this out. We all have our demons.

dawnball
06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
As I said, I'm not by nature a light packer. I'm a recovering pack mule. In the electronics thread I just listed what I was planning to bring for 3 weeks of electronics.

The first list was:
2 laptops
cell phone
Small waterproof Camera
2 ipod shuffles
nightlight

Batteries (AA, AAA, CR2032, D)
Extension Cord/power strip x 2
12 V phone charger
USB phone charging cable (and the conversion plug to use 110)
Inverter
2 power supplies for each laptop
camera charger
shuffle charger (USB)

mouse
trackball
10-key
kid's earphones
adult headset
USB webcam
USB to VGA dongle

extra SD cards
2 thumb drives
stack of CD media (5?)
external hard drive (If I can find one to clear)

ethernet cable (20ft)
a few small screwdrivers (0pt phillips, 1pt phillips, 1.5 mm slotted, 3mm slotted?)
6ft VGA cable
stereo audio cable
lens/screen wipes

So today I did the trial pack. And it all fit in the bag I wanted to take electronics in. But I had to expand the bag to it's fullest and pack things intelligently. I know that when I'm ready to come home, I'm just going to dump everything in the bag and it's not all going to fit. So I started making each item justify itself and do as much as it could.

The final list was:
2 laptops, pointing devices, 10 key, single power adapter for each.
Single camera and charger
2 shuffles w/ headphones and charger
cell phone and chargers (one laptop/wall, one car)
5 blank CDs in half-height jewel cases
14 ft ethernet cable
multitool w/ screwdriver bits (and all kinds of other useful things)
fistful of lens/screen wipes
4 AAA batteries, 12 AA batteries, 4 CR3032 batteries
stereo audio cable

Now I can just toss everything in the bag without expanding it or fussing, and while I loose some flexibility - if I need to do major work while I'm out of town I can rent office space by the hour that comes with extra monitors, cables, printers, video conferencing and such. I could probably drop a laptop and pare it down by another 50%, but I think that over three weeks having a second laptop (the first is strictly for work) will come in handy.

katybugsmom
06-03-2010, 02:03 PM

:thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing!

micheleq
09-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Bumping this great thread! I am debating if we should pack only carry ons for our October trip. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but our first stop is two days in Connecticut for a wedding, then we fly to WDW.

I think we can do it -- esp. if we pack a carry on garment bag with my dress & DH's suit for the wedding and ship it from CT to Michigan so we don't lug it to WDW.

Any other suggestions for carry on only? Tips for going carry on only with small kids?

My girls have rolling backpacks they can pull (or wear), are those considered a "personal item" or the carry on?

Pakey
09-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Bumping this great thread! I am debating if we should pack only carry ons for our October trip. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but our first stop is two days in Connecticut for a wedding, then we fly to WDW.

I think we can do it -- esp. if we pack a carry on garment bag with my dress & DH's suit for the wedding and ship it from CT to Michigan so we don't lug it to WDW.

Any other suggestions for carry on only? Tips for going carry on only with small kids?

My girls have rolling backpacks they can pull (or wear), are those considered a "personal item" or the carry on?

Personal items must go under the seat. If the backpacks are small enough for that, then they can be the personal item. I am a carry-on only traveler and I carry a backpack that goes under my seat as my personal item.

micheleq
09-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks! The backpacks will fit under the seat, as would the small duffle bags that I might use for them. I guess that's the benefit of small children, small clothes :)

KittyHellstrom
09-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I tried my hardest to be a light packer this time around and I think I succeeded. :) I didn't want to have to check a bag at the airport so I had one large duffle to work with as a carry-on for a 5 day stay. As far as clothing, I brought just a few pairs of each thing I'd need. Jeans you can re-wear a few times. Same with skirts. I tried to bring bottoms in solid colors so I could mix and match and get a few different outfits out of each item. I also took into account the fact that I always buy souvenir t-shirts, so I wouldn't really have to pack a shirt for every day. The only thing you really need to pack for every single day is socks and undies. Toiletries I kept in one small bag which fit into the front of my duffle. I brought one semi-fancy dress just in case we went to dinner and only one pair of shoes. (If you do this make sure the shoes you bring are comfy!) In the end I actually had room to spare! Plenty of space for my WDW trip souvenirs :thumbsup2
-Kitty

KittyHellstrom
09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Now a days many people are starting to realize jeans can last a long time without needing to be washed. I know many of the older generation balk at this, but seriously after a week my jeans do not stink at all. So you only need one pair of jeans, which saves a ton of room.

If you really need to wash them though, you can buy travel sized Tide packets to hand wash them in your room. Just do it at night and let them dry. If you are at WDW during the summer you will love the fact they might be a little damp in that stifling heat.

Really all you need to bring for each day are socks and undies like Kitty said. T-shirts do not take up much room, and just wear one pair of shoes the entire time.

Do not bring your laptop, they have computers at various resorts you can use. Besides you are on vacation, you do not need to be buried inside a laptop:)

Also, use Garden Grocer ( http://gardengrocer.com/ ) for sunscreen and other toiletries you might want to pack. They will deliver it to your resort so you can save room with those items.

-Hellstrom

ZoZo
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
If you plan to do laundry mid-trip, you can cut way down on the number of clothes you bring.

Last trip, I found some great shorts at REI. They're "river shorts" (meant to be worn in the water). In addition to being very light and comfortable, they hand-wash in the hotel room sink and dry overnight. Cuts way down on the packing.

I used to send down a box of snacks, but found that I could buy most of what I needed at the hotel gift shop (cereal, milk, chips, cookies, juice).

katybugsmom
09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Has anyone tried using the Travel Space Bags? I have used zip-loc bags for years, but thought the Space Bags would be better. I have to say we went to the beach last weekend for Labor Day and I was able to pack for 3 nights in a 21" carry-on bag! My husband used a bigger suitcase than me!::rotfl2:
We are taking the train in December and would love to pack as light as possible!

micheleq
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Has anyone tried using the Travel Space Bags? I have used zip-loc bags for years, but thought the Space Bags would be better. I have to say we went to the beach last weekend for Labor Day and I was able to pack for 3 nights in a 21" carry-on bag! My husband used a bigger suitcase than me!::rotfl2:
We are taking the train in December and would love to pack as light as possible!

I purchased Space Bags about five years ago to use for storage in my attic (extra large bags) and the small travel sized ones. The top seals on mine don't close as well anymore, but I found them useful when packing to come home vs. going on vacation. I was afraid that once all the air was pushed out and the clothes were so condensed, that they would come out wrinkled. On the way home, I don't mind wrinkles!

I'd think that the seals on the bags are better now. Worth a try if you can get one at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.

jkshel
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but PACKING CUBES RULE!!! We were introduced to them 4 years ago when we were traveling to Europe. While we were researching our trip we came across the GURU of packing light, Rick Steves. I highly recommend going over to his site and searching the forums for packing tips. But my quick must have advice to you is the packing cubes. Ours are the rick steves ones, but container store, Bed bath and Beyond have them too. I've even seen them for sale at Target. Hope this helps.

katybugsmom
09-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I purchased Space Bags about five years ago to use for storage in my attic (extra large bags) and the small travel sized ones. The top seals on mine don't close as well anymore, but I found them useful when packing to come home vs. going on vacation. I was afraid that once all the air was pushed out and the clothes were so condensed, that they would come out wrinkled. On the way home, I don't mind wrinkles!

I'd think that the seals on the bags are better now. Worth a try if you can get one at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.

Thanks for the advice!:thumbsup2 We may try them for our trip in December!

katybugsmom
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but PACKING CUBES RULE!!! We were introduced to them 4 years ago when we were traveling to Europe. While we were researching our trip we came across the GURU of packing light, Rick Steves. I highly recommend going over to his site and searching the forums for packing tips. But my quick must have advice to you is the packing cubes. Ours are the rick steves ones, but container store, Bed bath and Beyond have them too. I've even seen them for sale at Target. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the site!:worship:

gonesaleing
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I used them for my last trip and they work great. These are the kinds that you roll up to remove the air. I was amazed at how much more I could fit into my carry on bag. I would recommend them.

micheleq
10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm getting ready to start packing, so I wanted to bump this thread.

I purchased a Mother Lode Mini, and a few packing cubes, so we'll see how that works out.

The weather looks like it will be great for our trip, so I think that will lighten the load for us -- more shorts and t-shirts, less pants and long-sleeves.

ZoZo
10-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I feel your pain! I lay out everything I want to take, and force myself to leave half of it at home! The only way I'm able to do this is that I always plan to do laundry mid-trip. Then you only need half of the clothes!

Holly324
10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I am a serious list maker - we don't leave for over 6 months, and I have already started my "List for Mickey" :) However, my crazy lists tend to make me over pack. I think I am going to try for the "pack it once, then take away half" this time.

For those that use packing cubes - do they really cut down on space, or are they just ways to organize? Thanks!