PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning Opinions Sought

schoonersky
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi - OK, planning our next adventure in Florida. DH is a teacher and his principal wants him to attend a conference that just happens to be offered in Florida. :goodvibes

So, we are trying to figure out which one would be the best time.

One option is July 19th to 23rd, in Downtown Disney. Could stay on without limitation as school is out.

Second option is October 1-2nd in Lakelands, halfway between Orlando and Tampa. Good thing about this option is that we could move on the 2nd (being my birthday) to a Disney resort and spend 2 or 3 nights, attend a MVSHP. Would be a short trip.

Third option is December 8th to 11th at the Contemporary, with opportunity for VIP Candlelight Processional tickets, and all the Christmas stuff. Still a relatively quick trip, but certainly a neat time to go.

Of course, I want to go tomorrow and patience is not my strong point.

I'd love to hear your thoughts based on your own experiences! :worship:

MinnieMommy
04-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow! I wish my principal would ask me to go to a conference at or near WDW! :cool1: If this were a poll, I would be torn between 1&3.

Option 1: We don't have experience going to WDW in the summer... but that may offer the most flexibility time wise. My school board has recently made it very difficult to take ANY time off during the school year... so I appreciate that summer may give the opportunity for the longest trip. Do you mind the heat/humidity?

Option 2: This one offers the least amount of WDW time, which may be ok with you. Food & Wine would be happening and the Halloween party. Do you have any kids travelling with you? If you do... a short trip that may rely on very full days & late nights may be a challenge.

Option 3: Shorter trip that option 1, but at least you'll be staying on property so you could enjoy the parks/resort while dh was at the conference. We have enjoyed the holiday season at WDW twice. The Christmas party is fun! It really is a magical time with all of the decorations up.

Good luck with your selection! They are ALL really great options. Once you make your choice, don't look back! :goodvibes

grover
04-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I would go with option #1...
You have no limitations...and the dates are sooner:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:thu mbsup2

Louiepipbgeeco
04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
WOW-- As a teacher, the farthest conference I have attended was to the board office:rotfl2: Sounds awesome.
I vote option 3

MinnieMommy
04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
WOW-- As a teacher, the farthest conference I have attended was to the board office:rotfl2: Sounds awesome.
I vote option 3

:rotfl:

schoonersky
04-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, I've never been in October or December, so wasn't really sure what was the best.

And for the record, his conference fee of a couple hundred bucks will be paid by the board, with a replacement sub brought in for those couple of days. The replacement sub would be brought in whether he attended a workshop at the board office or even a PD event within the school. The fund isn't big enough to cover his airfare, hotel, and meals, so that will come out of our pocket. Which is fine, a small price to pay for a chance to spend a couple of days at Disney at a time when we usually can't go because DH is tied up at work.

tgropp
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Option 3. December is the only time to go to WDW. JMHO

schoonersky
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Option 3. December is the only time to go to WDW. JMHO

I've heard the parks are very overcrowded during Christmas and New Year's and so have traditionally avoided that time. But I see you go every year at that time - how do you find the crowds?

tgropp
04-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I've heard the parks are very overcrowded during Christmas and New Year's and so have traditionally avoided that time. But I see you go every year at that time - how do you find the crowds?

If you are moved by the "Christmas Spirit", then December is the only time to go to WDW. The crowds get close to unbearable starting on Christmas day but anytime before that. the crowds are very manageable with usually only 20 minute wait times other than a few of the big rides....and those you get fastpasses. ..osborne Lights, Candlelight Processional, MVMCP, tree lighting ceremonies, castle lighting, resort hopping to see the decorations....I could go on and on.

retiredkid
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I have been during all of those time periods.

Without a doubt, go at Christmas...... a very special time indeed.
and at the beginning of December, the crowds are certainly manageable. Just do some planning first.

Have a wonderful trip, whenever you decide. (Christmas...Christmas...Christmas);)