PDA

View Full Version : January or September 2011

TagsMissy
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
So no Disney 2010 WAAAH!!:scared1::eek:

I feel the need to plan so I have something to look forward to.

We were last there August 2009.... I know for certain I *want* to go in 2011... no I NEED :cutie: to go in 2011 ;)

What would you do? January -- cons for that is just after Christmas bills and right before DVC dues and home utilities are due for our city and it's cold or at least cool; therefore more to pack.

pro - it's the earliest possible time in the year that my hubby will have more vacation time.

September - cons -- freakin' hot and seems soooooo far away! :(

pro - no major bills due ((think more spending money!)) ;) and generally quieter at the parks and it's hot so we get to pack extra light.

hakepb
03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
There can be 70+ degree days in January which would make for a wonderful winter getaway, but almost too great a chance that it may not get that warm, or feel quite cold like this year. Although Sept could be hurricane season so you might get to deal with that. Very end of Sept has been F&W (but are they shortening it?)
Still, I'd lean Sept because to me, it is just not right if I cannot wear shorts....

RLRDA
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I voted for January simply because it is not as long of a wait as September would be :goodvibes. As PP stated it could be a nice break from winter as well.

We went last August and originally weren't going to go again until Aug. '11 (bank some points and be ahead of the game) but our 5yo DS asks us just about every day "can we go to Disney soon?". The thought of going 2 full years with a WDW trip bummed me out - so I booked OKW for this August. We've never stayed there and the points are low...we're excited for the trip. You are right - you need something to look forward to :thumbsup2.

drusba
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Sep: hot, daily occasional thunderstorms mostly in afternoon and evening; parks very easily doable with moderate crowds after Labor Day weekend.

Jan: extremely crowded first 3 to possibly 4 days of Jan because Christmas crowd still there. Heavy around MLK day. Some crowd second weekend during marathon days but nothing unmanageable. Moderate crowds otherwise. As to Jan weather. it can be as low as 20 or as high as 80 and both of those can happen the time you are there. In our many Janauary trips we have had an entire week of mid-70s or higher, weeks of 5 days in the 70s and the other two in the high 40s, just 60 to mid-60s most of week ... and then there was Jan 2010 -- think of everything looking green and wonderful outside like it is summer then imagine walking outside at 7 in the morning and the temperature is 28 degrees all nine days you are there. by noon it works its way to 40 and by 3 to high 40s and then at 6 the sun has set and suddenly the temperature plunges to 28 degrees again. The pools were closed the whole time. The Christmas decorations stayed up extra long (until mid-Jan) because it was too cold for Florida acclimated workers to take them down. You really haven't experienced Test Track until you do it at 35 degrees (just glad Splash Mountain was closed for refurb).

TagsMissy
03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
we did Test Track and Splash Mountain and EE during a state of emergency in Feb 2009. I am from Canada and I thought I was going to freeze to death. hahaha I vividly recall hubby and I daring each other to keep our hands up on EE. I made it down the hill then FORGET IT my hands came down first. LOL

I didn't think of bringing my usual Merino under garments for cold temps so I wore instead: a long sleeve shirt with a t-shirt over and 2 fleece jackets then my Goretex jacket... the last day we were there it was hot. :headache:

Buckeye Fan
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Living in OH, when I go to WDW, I want it to be warm (or hot!). Unfortunately, it can get cool to downright cold in the winter months. Don't get me wrong, we've been to WDW in Dec, and the weather was absolutely beautiful - 80 degrees and sunny every day. However, I have to admit, if I drove or flew down and the weather was cold, I would be so disappointed.

Just something to think about if that's important to you! :thumbsup2

ktjohn
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't know where to post this, so I'll just tack on to the bottom of this existing thread...

We usually go to Disney the last week of January, which is fairly quiet. Can someone tell me how the crowds compare between the last week of January and the week of Sept 11-18? Are they very similar? We are going again in September, and I'm wondering if I can expect the same crowd level, or will it be higher crowds?

Thank you!!!

n2mm
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Gone both many times, but I would have to choose January over September. January can be cold or sometimes nice, but most relaxing as long as you avoid the holidays. September IS hurricane season and hot and humid. The crowds can be lower, but also free dining is going on, so makes for bigger crowds. So this year we went in January and lucked out with great weather in the 70s all week (it was freezing the week before and week after--yes we were lucky). (We go every January). We are going late September this year too and only going becuase we are meeting friends there for a long weekend (6 days) and we booked the BB FD so get the better plan than being offered to the GP. Happy to see our friends, but not a timeframe we really enjoy. Of course my 2 favorite times to go are late April/early May and late October/early November. (We go alot, what can I say?)

bobbiwoz
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Only because I wouldn't want to wait until September....I voted January.

Steamboat Girlie
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I voted January. We went last Sept. and it was hot, hot, hot! The crowds in the parks didn't seem bad, but the restaurants were crazy if that makes sense! Free dining is a circus. January is hit or miss for the weather, but is low for park attendance.

MinnieGi
06-17-2010, 03:23 PM
As a veteran of several winter WDW vacations in Jan. and early Feb. I voted for Jan. Although it can be hit or miss as far as weather, its still warmer than home!!! And sunnier!!! Most years we have gotten lucky and have even had days that we could swim. One year we even had a whole week of high 70's and sunny and never touched a sweater!! I really love the break from winter it gives us. Plus for you it is much closer than Sept. 2011!!!

I know how you feel we had to cancel our Dec. 2009 trip and are sooooo eagerly awaiting Dec. 2010!! The last time we were there was Nov. 2008, it seems so long ago now!! Luckily we have gone to HHI both the summers of 09 and coming up on our week for '10 so we've had some DVC fun, but sooo have enjoyed the planning for our trip in Dec.!!

Good luck with your decision!

raykit98
06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Both

DenLo
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I voted for September. I hate being cold. And it's such a pain for all of the layers of clothes you may or may not need in January.

In September there's a very good chance that you could use the pool. So after a hot morning at the parks, spend the afternoon at the pool.

The only negative I can come up with September is that it is during hurricane season. But now the DVC has a hurricane policy.

DVC-Don
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
January would be my pick. September can be hot (been there twice in Sept) and it's still hurricane season.

TIGGERmetoo
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
We travel in Sept alot. Weather is warm but not unbearable. Been in Jan once and weather was good but DS was there once and they had to buy jackets.

delaneyc52
06-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I've never been to WDW in January. However, I have been there in September for the past 5 years and we love it. Yes, it's hot sometimes. Yes, we've had hurricane close calls -- not necessarily in Orlando, but for air travel delays back home. Overall...we love September. We actually would go on and off Soarin two or three times with no wait. It's just a quieter less chaotic time. Maybe because it's mostly adults or parents with younger babies/toddlers. :confused3B All I can say is it's our very favorite time to be there.

Anal Annie
06-17-2010, 09:15 PM
I voted for Sept. because I would rather be hot than cold! Part of going to FL for me is time for the pools & some sunshine...in Jan you may or may not get that. For us, January is a good time for a long weekend get-a-way not a real vacation.

Candy Orlando
06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I like going in January because I don't like the snow in New England.

lmshaggard
06-17-2010, 11:05 PM
We go both almost every year - January has been all over the board - we have had warm and cold. It is very quiet except for the couple of very specific times that everyone mentioned. September is busier, hotter, but usually by the 15th, the Halloween decorations are up and MNSSHP is going on and the parties in september are a lot less crowded than in october. It does have a tendency to rain quite a bit during both periods, but that is what rain gear is for :) Good luck! If I had to choose though, January because it is sooner (and I go thru DW withdrawls quite frequently!)

disneybride96
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I have been in both months.

September is too hot and there are those darn love bugs to deal with!

I love January, but October is probably the best weather I have experienced in Florida.

adminjedi
06-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Both

BOTH!:woohoo:

dizfan
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I voted for September.

Last December had some cold rainy days. I'd rather deal with snow than cold rainy days where it soaks in and chills to the bone.

In September, there's MNSSHP (our favorite special event at WDW).
I think F&W starts the 4th weekend after Labor Day (September 25-Oct 1), depending on the calendar. Next year, I think it will start Sept 30.

A downside to September is that free dining is usually going on, making the restaurants busier and I've read reports that some restaurants scale back their menus during that free dining period.

SusieBea
06-18-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know where to post this, so I'll just tack on to the bottom of this existing thread...

We usually go to Disney the last week of January, which is fairly quiet. Can someone tell me how the crowds compare between the last week of January and the week of Sept 11-18? Are they very similar? We are going again in September, and I'm wondering if I can expect the same crowd level, or will it be higher crowds?

Thank you!!!

We are going that same week. At this point, Touring Plans says that the crowd levels will be: 11th - 1; 12th - 3; 13th - 3; 14th - 1; 15th - 1; 16th - 4; 17th - 5; & 18th - 1.

schewy
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I have visited in both Jan. and Sept. I prefer September to January.
Reasons: I like the heat much better than the cold. The parks are open longer. The crowds are about the same, just before the Food and Wine festival.
For some reason it seems to not feel like vacation when I visited in January. My wife has a limited amount of time off from work each year. If she uses it that early in the year it seems to her like she has to wait longer than a year for another vacation.

dianeschlicht
06-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd choose January. Not hot and humid, and no threat of hurricanes. In fact, we've never acually had rain on a January trip to WDW, and we've done them more than 10 times. Sure, it can be a little chilly once in awhile, but we have also had 90 degree temps in January too. It's a mixed bag, and you just have to prepare for it all. We would much rather put on warmer clothes and enjoy the parks than slog around in rain and humidity.