PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use your kitchen in your Villa?

franandaj
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
1) Never! Iím on vacation, thatís what ADRs are for!

2) I have before but wonít do it again

3) The most my kitchen gets used is for toast

4) I do it sometimes, but only because weíre trying to save money

5) I love cooking, and thereís nothing better than a home cooked meal every so often

6) We use the kitchen for most all our meals

7) Other - Please give details in your response

Anyone who does cook in the Villa, please share your favorite recipies and what you like to make in the Villa

mecllap
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Well, I guess I'm a 7 (my favorite number) - A LOT, but maybe not most. I use it some to save money, some for convenience, some to eat "reliable" food that I will like, some to use up Park leftovers or to eat picked-up meals, some for food items that we can't get elsewhere (DGS just has to have turkey franks and frozen (not cooked) peas sometimes, late night snacks, etc. Lots of reasons. Maybe saving money is the first reason -- but having the kitchen is probably the main reason we got into timesharing. It's also a great time-saver (I don't like to waste fun/Park time getting to a restaurant, waiting to be seated, waiting to order, waiting to be served, waiting for check, waiting for the receipt, etc. (and often being disappointed in the food that usually costs too much)).

erionm
03-21-2010, 10:19 PM
In a word, COFFEE!

drusba
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I am from one of those families where if you ask what the boss is making for dinner, the answer is "reservations." Never use the stove but we do keep the refrigerator stocked with things to drink, the microwave gets used for warming some things and Pop Tarts hit the toaster in the morning.

zmanandshan
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Great poll. :thumbsup2

Personally, I always think I will utilize the kitchen more than I actually do. Most of the time, I use it to heat up leftovers the next morning for a post hang-over bfast. I'll be doing that at the F&W. :yay:

Chuck S
03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
We usually have toast and cereal for breakfast, but I have made bacon and eggs, and do occasionally fix a nice full meal for lunch or dinner. We like dining out, but with food allergies, sometimes we'd rather eat in instead of dealing with what we can and can not eat at a restaurant.

lodgelady
03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
We love eating out as much as anyone, but after several days of running around the parks and eating restaurant food, it is lovely to have a day of simple home cooked meals. We hang around the pool, stroll the grounds and relax. Then we are ready to run around again the next day! :yay:

docusmc1
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Reheat leftovers from the parks. Maybe popcorn.

Lildalejrfan
03-21-2010, 10:38 PM
We use it every day to make breakfast. Plus, when we are relaxing we'll make popcorn or frozen pizza's to snack on.

billsfan
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
We only took our first trip home this past October but we used the kitchen every morning for breakfast. Two mornings it was only for Oatmeal and Toast, two mornings we made pre-made refrigerated cinnamon rolls but three out of the seven mornings we made pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.

We also baked cookies twice while we were there. These were also the pre-made refrigerated ones.

JimC
03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Breakfasts and evening snacks.

princessvacg
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM
..there's a kitchen in my villa?? :rotfl2:

Granny
03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I voted "other" because like many others we primarily use it for breakfast and snacks. It does save money but the primary reason is convenience and it saves a lot of time in the morning. Snacks are usually cheese, milk and sodas.

kikiq
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I answered Other. It's really somewhere between loving to cook, saving money and having to cook for special diets. I have been on a low/no sodium diet for most of my life with a family history of high blood pressure and strokes. Most meals have too much salt for me, even if I tell the chef of my low sodium requirements. My youngest has to have gluten free foods and most of the family is lactose intolerant. Sometimes it's just easier to cook what is familiar and get on with our vacation.

franandaj
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm a serious home cook and love to do it! I even take the DCA Cooking School at the F&W Festival every year for the past three so I was curious how "out of place" I was, and why I asked this question. However, I also love the restaurants at WDW so it's hard to balance nights at home in the Villa vs wanting to eat at every restaurant that we can! One of the draws to DVC was the villas with kitchens, we can eat in a few nights and eat out others.

We usually always have some sort of breakfast in the villa, usually yogurt, toast or bagels, but I like to make bacon and eggs or French Toast at least two times (if nothing else to use up the 1/2 dozen eggs we buy when it's just the two of us). I like my own cooking and it's nice to mix up the park meals with home cooked ones like some of you have said, because you know what you're eating.

I like to cook a couple meals in the villa for dinner, just so because DP is disabled and gets very tired, so we go back to the room a lot. If I book too many ADRs, we end up skipping some just for the tired factor. This isn't kitchen cooking, but it was one of my best villa meals, at the THV we had our own BBQ grill I made Balsamic Chicken and Zucchini when we were staying with my parents in January.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/franandaj/IMG_2320.jpg

Look forward to hearing more of your responses.

franandaj
03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I have been on a low/no sodium diet for most of my life with a family history of high blood pressure and strokes. Most meals have too much salt for me, even if I tell the chef of my low sodium requirements.

I know what you mean, I too try to limit my sodium for high blood pressure reasons. I remember the first year when I did the Napa Rose cooking school and they kept trying to get me to add more salt to my dishes, telling me it wouldn't taste right if I didn't. Everything tasted just fine without the copious amounts of salt :)

princessbride6205
03-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I chose the "toast" option, but maybe should have selected other.
Anyway, we do snacks and breakfast (except for 1-2 character meals) for convenience, food preference, time and cost savings. We've only stayed in studios so far, and I made tea, cereal, microwave scrambled eggs, plus stored some fruit, veg & juice. I don't want to cook when I'm on vacation but with a toddler and without unlimited money, we can't do table service all the time. I don't love counter service so I can see us doing a few more lunches in the future.

dianeschlicht
03-22-2010, 07:02 AM
We always make breakfast in the villa. It's anything from oatmeal to pancakes and bacon. We also sometimes plan a regular meal as well, but only when we have guests staying with us. We usually cook one large meal like we do at home just to have the leftovers. When it's just the 2 of us though, we only do breakfast and an occational salad. We usually only eat two meals a day at Disney, so breakfast and one table service usually suffices for us. If we need more, we make ourselves a salad later in the day.

Tiggeye
03-22-2010, 09:22 AM
We mostly use it for breakfast. We have cooked dinner when it was too cold to be in the parks.

It is also great when you have a family reunion vacation, you can all meet in someones room and have drinks before venturing out for dinner.

jodifla
03-22-2010, 09:42 AM
We use the kitchen every day!

Have most breakfasts there, ranging from bagels to full out eggs, pancakes and bacon. A few lunches a week, a few dinners, and snacks.

I buy a big veggie tray for the week and use it for crudites and veggies for salads or to saute or stir fry. We normally buy steak and chicken to grill (bringing spice rubs at home). We also do a pasta night, and we just found a great jambalaya mix we are going to add to the repertoire.

We get the TIW card for special dinners out at WDW. The dining there is no longer original enough and too expensive to eat at every meal.

dianeschlicht
03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
We use the kitchen every day!

We get the TIW card for special dinners out at WDW. The dining there is no longer original enough and too expensive to eat at every meal.

I totally agree with that one!

Chuck S
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Sadly, this is very true. :sad1:

Bobbybear68
03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
We use it for Breakfast and maybe a snack in the evening.

disneychic
03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
We typically use it for breakfast (toasting bagels, or just having cereal). I'd say we use the fridge more than anything else! We've never had any meal other than breakfast in the room.

backyardponder
03-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Our next trip will be 12 folks in one 2BR and two studios for 10 nights. We'll be using the kitchen a lot and will be bringing certain pots and pans which we like to use at home. Each family coming will be responsible for one big meal. We do have some ADRs and have a TIW card to help with those costs.

eliza61
03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Generally in the morning we love a big breakfast but really don't want to rush making an adr. So I'll whip up eggs, bacon and pancakes. We go in the summer when we're always back in the room during the hot afternoon so the kitchen gets a good workout.

TagsMissy
03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
We joked on our last trip that we got a 2BR and used all those points so we could get a full sized coffee maker and fridge to store all the snacks, drinks and desserts we couldn't finish during the day. HAHA

In all seriousness we only used the kitchen for coffee in the morning and cereal/toast... Granted our last vacation had 5 WDW virgins so our focus was the parks/water parks and not necessarily relaxing and taking our time.

smjj
03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I voted all the time because when we have a kitchen, we usually have a large family group with us with small kids. This really saves us a lot of time and money. We have Garden Grocer deliver to us and it has worked out real well. The saving is quite a bit. We still eat out, but most true meals are done at the resort by us...smjj

DopeyDave
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I voted "The most my kitchen gets used is for toast," but we don't usually use it for 'toast'. Ususally it's breakfast cakes and coffee. And sometimes dessert/snacks in the evening.

pwiedower
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
We always make breakfast in the villa. It's anything from oatmeal to pancakes and bacon. We also sometimes plan a regular meal as well, but only when we have guests staying with us. We usually cook one large meal like we do at home just to have the leftovers. When it's just the 2 of us though, we only do breakfast and an occational salad. We usually only eat two meals a day at Disney, so breakfast and one table service usually suffices for us. If we need more, we make ourselves a salad later in the day.

Same here, we cook almost every breakfast in the Villa before we head out for the day. Then we generally have items on hand to make lunch if we decide to come back so our son can get a good nap.

Biggreen19
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
We have breakfast every morning in our Villa, grab lunch in the parks and usually cook dinner back in the villa. After numerous trips to WDW, we just like the flexibility of eating dinner when we want to, as opposed to fixed ADR times. Do we still make a few ADR's for lunch and dinner? Yes, but we just make less of them now. We like to "wing it" more on our trips now than we did in the past.

Vickis3js
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
We just make breakfast in the villa which consists of bagels, cereal, yogurt/granola or frozen pancakes. Oh and of course coffee. We are normally out at the parks when its dinner time so I just make ADRs for the park I will be in that day and there we stay. Although I can say that when we stay at the THV I will probably cook more or should I say have DH grill more.

doddle
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I would say we are a number 6. We use the kitchen for most meals. We make a stop at Publix's on the way in and buy groceries for the week. We usually will time back a chicken or turkey. Then when we come out of the park, dinner is already done.

Disney_Mama
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I voted Other. We do breakfast everyday in the room. Lunch and Dinner is out and about.

castleri
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Another breakfast every day and keep a large bowl of cut up fresh fruit salad for snacks as well. Also cook a couple of evening meals during a week long stay and of course whatever leftovers or snacks someone might want.

MinnieGi
03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I clicked "other" as we do cook in our villa as it is sometimes more convenient and a big time saver especially with kids. Our kids do not like to eat every meal at restaurants. We did the dining plan once years ago and by day three the kids were complaining of having to go to another restaurant!! Now I loved it, but it did take lots of time away from other fun activities that we could have been doing if we just had a meal in the villa.

We certainly don't do fancy meals in the villa but do things like tacos, fajitas, chicken salad, sandwiches, pasta and meatballs, hamburgers. Our fridge is always stocked for the week and it allows easy convenient eating when WE are hungry. We do some ADR's for the week and a few quick serve meals in the park but most of our 10 day trips are covered with eating in the villa. :)

corpcomp
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
We have breakfast only in the villas. Generally cereal, fresh fruit or something quick. Really need the refrig, microwave and utensils only. Rarely cook. So voted other.

keishashadow
03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
typically, im not one to say never...i'll make a rare expection here;)

we're DP buffs, early lunch, late dinner, throw in the snack & we are stuffed to the gills although i do appreciate the refrigerator to keep our drinks cold.

Hollymom1229
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I answered other, as we're another group that does breakfast in the villa. if we have a studio it's typically cereal, bagels, or waffles. In a 1 BDR or larger I tend to do pancakes, bacon and eggs, and other more complicated breakfasts. It's nice as I'm always the first one up and it keeps me occupied while waiting for everyone else to get ready. Also saves money as breakfast in the parks can be pricey. For evenings we keep snacks and drinks in the room and use the kitchen to warm up leftovers from the restaurants.

corpcomp
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I answered other, as we're another group that does breakfast in the villa. if we have a studio it's typically cereal, bagels, or waffles. In a 1 BDR or larger I tend to do pancakes, bacon and eggs, and other more complicated breakfasts. It's nice as I'm always the first one up and it keeps me occupied while waiting for everyone else to get ready. Also saves money as breakfast in the parks can be pricey. For evenings we keep snacks and drinks in the room and use the kitchen to warm up leftovers from the restaurants.

We are the same. But when we stay in a Studio, I do miss the larger kitchen, even if we only cook a few eggs or boil water. Just feels homey even though we are not big cookers. With all the points we get on our rewards cards, all our meals out are essentially free. But we do stay away from those discusting turkey legs in the park!:scared1:

Buckeye Fan
03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
We eat breakfast every morning in the room. Since we rarely get to fix a hot breakfast in the mornings at home, it's a nice treat when we are on vacation.

The last time we were in Orlando, we cooked two of the 7 nights we were there. It was such a nice break. We eat out all of the time at home (again...we both work, and the kids keep us hopping!), so eating in is a change of pace.

So, I voted "other" in your poll. We use our kitchen...100% of the time for breakfast, 50% for lunch, and 20 - 25% for dinner.

lisatx04
03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
We usually have breakfast in the room every day. We make a grocery store run after we check in so we can make hot breakfast along with other things. DH is a great cook, so he does this every morning. Lunches are either poolside or wherever we happen to be. Dinners are always out. DH says he's on vacation and he doesn't want to cook dinner. I agree!

Chellymouse
03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
We use the fridge mostly, but we have done coffee and the occasional bagel. Not up for cooking on vacation....I do that at home! Although I do laundry on vacation now so we'll see....:rolleyes1

schewy
03-22-2010, 06:51 PM
We eat breakfast in the room. We do not cook on vacation so we usually eat in the parks or at Downtown Disney.

DiznyDi
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Coffee, nothing more.

Longhairbear
03-23-2010, 02:54 AM
We use the kitchen a lot. I roasted a turkey with all the trimmings, and side dishes last fall at VGC. It was great to have DCA right there, enjoy the park, and I could run back to the villa to check on the bird a few times.
We have a 1 bedroom for F&W at DCA this year, and intend to cook a lot.

londonderrydisneyfan
03-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Our last trip was our first one without the DDP and we really enjoyed the flexibility of cooking in our villa. Other than a few counter service lunches, we had every meal there.

Breakfasts were simple, either cereal, pop tarts or eggs, lunches were deli meat sandwiches or soup and dinners were either rotisserie chicken, tacos or soup/salad/sandwiches. We save a lot of money by doing that but we also save a lot of time and it's great not being tied down by ADRs.

christa112
03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Not a fan of cooking weather I am home or on vacation, but it was definately great to be able to eat breakfast ie (cereal, toaster strudels, toast) in our Villa. I also liked have the fridge that we could store milk, soda and fruit in.

BEASLYBOO
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Nice to see that the "I love cooking" category is holding it's own. I enjoy eating out too, but we can't do Disney food morning, noon and night! We prefer a light breakfast, so it's a waste to do buffets etc., short of the BW Bakery or MK Bakery's croissant, its breakfast at the villa. Disney Dining has become a huge disapointment in the last several years so since I do enjoy cooking, the kitchen works for us. We save money by avoiding the typical Disney dining options so that we can slpurge on places like Todd English's Blue Zoo, Yachtman's Steakhouse and Timpano's Italian Chop House outside of Disney. That way we don't spend huge sums of money for mediocre food.

franandaj
03-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice to see that the "I love cooking" category is holding it's own.

I'm very surprised, but in a pleasant way. On another forum I participate in this question came up and most everyone was overwhelmingly against the idea of using their kitchens at all. It seems that DISers are much less set in their ways and open to more possibilities!

We use the kitchen a lot. I roasted a turkey with all the trimmings, and side dishes last fall at VGC. It was great to have DCA right there, enjoy the park, and I could run back to the villa to check on the bird a few times.
We have a 1 bedroom for F&W at DCA this year, and intend to cook a lot.

That sounds delicious! When will you be there for F&W? We're going three different weekends, the first two in studios, but the last is a 1 bedroom for the final weekend. I plan to make something really simple homey and comforting after eating all the rich food I will have in the previous 6 weeks!

Pixieflip
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
We do make big breakfasts. Full tummies make for happy families. And they beg less for snacks. We do not cook lunches or dinners there, we're usually in the park.

My favorite thing to cook are those Betty Crocker Warm Delights desserts! Yum! Fun to look forward to after a long day in the park...shower, put your feet up and warm gooey brownies. :thumbsup2

Longhairbear
03-24-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm very surprised, but in a pleasant way. On another forum I participate in this question came up and most everyone was overwhelmingly against the idea of using their kitchens at all. It seems that DISers are much less set in their ways and open to more possibilities!

That sounds delicious! When will you be there for F&W? We're going three different weekends, the first two in studios, but the last is a 1 bedroom for the final weekend. I plan to make something really simple homey and comforting after eating all the rich food I will have in the previous 6 weeks!
We are staying mid week in May. I might change it, as World Of Color was another reason for the trip, but we hear it has been pushed back to June. If not, we may try to recreate food items from F&W in room. When in WDW, we get the F&W cookbook, and try recipes in our villa.

maureenann
03-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Breakfast, diet soda, water, snacks and insulin storage for son #2.

Tara
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
I didn't vote because there isn't an option that really works for me. I do not love cooking. ;) We use the kitchen every day in some capacity. Sometimes it's just to make coffee or have a snack. I'd say half to 2/3s of our breakfasts are cooked in our villa. For a week-long trip, I'd say half the meals we consume will be in the room.

There are a couple of reasons:
1. After 12 years of faithful and frequent WDW travel, I'm just over eating every meal out. I don't care how good the food is, it's too much. Plus sometimes I just want something simple.
2. Eating in the room can be a big time saver!

dzorn
03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I voted for I love cooking but really only the second part counts. DD has food allergys and sometimes she just wants her favorite foods from home.

Denise in MI

franandaj
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
We are staying mid week in May. I might change it, as World Of Color was another reason for the trip, but we hear it has been pushed back to June.

Bummer, I was really hoping that one of the nights we were staying we would have a park view and be able to see it from our room.

When in WDW, we get the F&W cookbook, and try recipes in our villa.

I bought that last year, and have made the Cheese Soup a bunch of times! I've also made the lobster roll and there are a bunch more that I want to try!

twinklebug
03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I voted for I love cooking but really only the second part counts. DD has food allergys and sometimes she just wants her favorite foods from home.

Denise in MI

:rotfl: I voted the same, but personally I hate cooking. It's just that eating out all the time wears on my body, but for allergic and health reasons.

I do have to have that one burger and fries set up per stay though.

Chim Chiminy
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Breakfast is almost always in the room. Cereal or oatmeal, fresh fruit.
Since we stay a lot in studios, we have to be creative.
My favorite thing to fix when we are in studios are BLT's. I don't know why, because I rarely fix them here at home.
If we are in a bigger unit, then we will make some lunches and dinners in the room.
But DH still enjoys eating out at places like Artist Pointe and Le Cellier, so it winds up being about 50/50 eating out/in.