PDA

View Full Version : Disney Reservation guy told me to go to California Grill !?

disney_girl2010
03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
When talking on the phone with a Disney Reservation Assistant named Geno (he was sooooo nice and I felt like I was talking to a Disney character!) Anyway he said to do him a favor and for my birthday go to the California Grill for dinner in the late evening. He said I will get to see fireworks and have amazing dessert and it is just a wonderful experience! I want to do that but my question is about the food there. I am not a sushi eater and like all my food cooked and I was looking at the menu and it all looks upscale-ish to me. Is the food there good? And is there a specific dress code when eating there?Also if I just went for dessert is that allowed? TIA Ya'll!!!:goodvibes

Art 1
03-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't eat sushi either but there is lots of other things on the menu. The flatbreads are good. Getting just dessert is fine, we have done so many times.

catne
03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Expensive place. Although we love most Disney restaurants, did not think the food was good enough for the prices paid. Keep in mind it can be difficult to get reservations for fireworks viewing times...

disney_girl2010
03-20-2010, 11:31 PM
yeah thats what I heard so I need to book now! so what are the prices like?

disney_girl2010
03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
oh wait nevermind, I just found the prices on a menu listed.

TinkerbellinLouisian
03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Hhmmm... Smooth talker!

Well - I've taken tips from the DIS...and my Cali Grill ressie is in May..so you'll know before I will...

However I've read SO MANY good reviews of Cali Grill on here... I'm sold.

Having said that... DS & I LOVE Sushi...and we don't plan to watch wishes from there...

Our WDW CM told us to "Dress nice"...when I questioned her (worried because we will be at MK all day)....she said "well - nice shorts, no cut offs or frays.... ). So We're planning on wearing our 'nicer' Shorts Outfits...

Hugs,
Mary

disney_girl2010
03-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Ok- i'm lookin at the menu and does the triple cheese flatbread taste pretty good? Half of the other stuff I don't even know what it is??? Snake in the grass? No thanks:scared1:

catne
03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
yeah thats what I heard so I need to book now! so what are the prices like?
from Walt Disney World website, California Grill page:

Dinner, main course entrees will run you $28 to $44 per person, menu:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/CaliforniaGrill/california-grill-menu-dinner.pdf

Desserts run $12 to $15 each, current menu: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/CaliforniaGrill/california-grill-menu-dessert.pdf

disney_girl2010
03-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Okay the desserts look pretty good there! Do you know if they allow cameras in the restaurant?

Silver Queen
03-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, we've taken our camera into Calli Grill. We've had dinner there three times. The food is good and the view is better. Although we do eat sushi we've never ordered it there. We are not in a hurry to go back soon. In our opinion it's a little overrated

DVC~OKW~96
03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Dinner at this restaurant actually ruined my wife's birthday celebration. We like to try a different place for special celebrations (although we return again,and again to YSH) so tried here for her past birthday.

It was terrible from food to service. Talk about uncooked food. Ick. Her ostrich entree was raw, and so stringy she couldn't chew it. Sent it away and that was that. No question about why it was returned, no offer for a different choice (that we certainly would have paid for) and no removing it from the bill.

The dinner was bad enough so we simply paid and left (adding arguing over the meal with a server who was terrible wouldn't have improved anything) and won't be returning.

If you are caught up in the hype of the location for Wishes, then simply go there for drinks ...

TDC Nala
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes cameras are allowed - there was actually a gal who set up her tripod in the lounge and took shots out the window for the entire time - WITH a flash - not sure she knew she could go outside on the observation deck and take pictures.

Not all tables have a good view of the fireworks or even a view of MK, there are some that are on the other side of the restaurant. There is an observation deck that you can go out to observe the show if you do not have a table with a view. If you want to be seated in the restaurant when the fireworks start it's suggested you make a reservation at least an hour to an hour and a half before the fireworks are scheduled to start. If you can linger that long over drinks and desserts, ok. If not, have your dessert and watch from the observation deck.

Never had a problem with the food or service here. I was last there December 2009.

emmabemmainc
03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
We went last year and I thought it was great. There are so many things other than sushi! I got the goat cheese ravioli and pork tenderloin and they were both wonderful.

fterie4u
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
We love California Grill! We have been there the last 4 out of 5 times and every time the service, view and dinner were great! I love sushi but my dh does not. He really enjoyed the flatbread and loves both the pork tenderloin and the filet. I have tried the goat cheese ravioli (great) and also some of the other seafood dishes. If you want to go for Wishes, we usually make a 7:00 or 7:30 reservation to see Wishes at 9:00. By that time we are just getting to our dessert. It is nice timing.
I highly recommend CG!

Nadjalu
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes there is a dress code, as this restaurant is a signature restaurant.

The atmosphere is upscale and in my opinion way over priced. And you can't be guranteed a seat to view the fireworks.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't go there for my birthday. I would try a place where I love the menu and have been to (if at all possible) that way you know you like it.

Believe me, nothing worse than going somewhere you haven't been only to have it ruin your bday.

Happy Bday and remember have fun!!

TheTXTaylors5
03-22-2010, 01:45 AM
We went last year and I thought it was great. There are so many things other than sushi! I got the goat cheese ravioli and pork tenderloin and they were both wonderful.

:thumbsup2 I got the exact same thing and agree it was YUMMY!!!! We also ordered the pizza appetizer (Triple Cheese Flatbread ) and that was yummy too. I was surprised that my kids ate the whole-wheat pizza. There wasn't a bite left on their plates. :dance3:

princess: We went for DD7's 6th birthday last year. So, it is not as pretentious as other fine-dining restaurants on property. There were children and adults at dinner. Also, we saw a variety of clothing from shorts to dresses. The only on-site restaurant that has a strict dress code is Victoria & Albert's. With that said, I wouldn't show-up in a tank top and flip flops. ;)

:wizard: I made the dinner reservation timed to be in the restaurant during the fireworks. Also, I pre-ordered DD a birthday cake. We were one of the unlucky ones with a table around the corner from the castle-view tables. During the fireworks, we got up and went to one of the Observation decks (there are two). It was a joke. Too many people and my kids couldn't see. So to me, the only way I would eat here again during the fireworks is if I had a castle-view table.

When it was time for my daughter's cake, the server could not locate the pre-ordered cake. I was a little annoyed as it was a specially decorated cake and was suppose to be a surprise for DD. I will give our server praise that since they couldn't find my daughter's cake, they gave us a complimentary big chocolate cake with a candle for my DD. We were so full from our meal that we ended up taking most of the cake back to our room. It was delicious, but not the yellow cake I had ordered. :confused3

I'll be honest, the food was good but expensive and the view is unbeatable (that is if you get a castle-view table). It IS a great place to spend a birthday whether you're 6 or 60. :banana:

Just my opinion. :wizard:

:goodvibes Jennifer

BLTLDZ
03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Ok- i'm lookin at the menu and does the triple cheese flatbread taste pretty good? Half of the other stuff I don't even know what it is??? Snake in the grass? No thanks:scared1:

The Flatbreads are REALLY good!! We usually go and get flatbread and Sushi. :thumbsup2

Another option is Narcoosee, in the Grand Floridian.....Check out their menu. You can also view the fireworks from here as well. :thumbsup2

GailT
03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I am not a sushi eater but had ressies there for Christmas Eve 2009, 9pm had the steak wich was delis can't remeber dessert but I can tell you the food was real good, I was on the DDP so I didnt pay but it was over $180.00 no drinks but on the DDP it is good would I shell out $180.00 probably not but it was a nice dining experience to see the fireworks from our table at 10 pm

Disneyadore
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
We loved it. The food is very good,the staff kind ,the atmosphere great and the views on wishes are marvelous. We tried it last year and have three dinner reservations for May in the "pocket" :thumbsup2

disney_girl2010
03-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks ya'll!! Yeah it does sound like you would need to get a castle-view table and I think if I end up going I will for sure get the triple cheese flatbread! I just really wanna eat somewhere on my birthday where I can enjoy that Disney Magic!! We'll see what happens???:goodvibes

GailT
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I didn't have a window table but could still see the fireworks, I can't wait to go back this year, hopefully I'll get reservations :thumbsup2

SOnotLayuh
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Check out my review in my sig. We eat there and had an INCREDIBLE time. The ambiance, the service, the view of Wishes, the steak, the pork, the dessert, the drinks, EVERYTHING was perfect.

This would be the perfect place to celebrate your birthday!

As a graduate student who has to penny pinch... honestly... I would eat ramen for a week if it meant I could go here on our next trip. I loved it!

TDC Nala
03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Remember you can't be guaranteed a "castle view" table.

disney_girl2010
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Great review SOnotLayuh!!! Thanks:goodvibes