PDA

View Full Version : Which signature restaurant? Which restaurant for a birthday?

deebee29
03-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Everyone,
Looking for some ideas for some special dining. Will be going to the World for a birthday and am looking for some ideas! There will be 3 adults in our group.
Just looking for suggestions on which of the signature restaurants are your favourite and why?
Also looking for an idea as to what restaurant would be good for celebrating a birthday. Doesn't have to be a signature one... Just looking for some ideas!!!
Thanks!!!

EastonCat
03-20-2010, 12:35 PM
We have had great birthday experiences at a few signature restaurants. You need to find the one that fits your party the best. Here are my comments on Signature experiences we've had:

Narcoosee's (GF): My favorite signature restaurant. Not too formal, excellent food (the lobster is as good as they say). It's a little noisy which makes for good boisterous celebration, and great venue for fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. Plus you will walk around the GF grounds after dinner which is great too. Perhaps grab a post-dinner cocktail at Mizner's and listen to the band in the lobby.

California Grille (Contemporary): Good food, very good view, but a little bit of a service factory. The demand to eat at this venue is very high and they want to meet as much as they can. This does not lead to a poor experience, but it doesn't give you the birthday celebration time you may desire.

Citricos (GF): I really like this Mediterranean-themed restaurant. The service is very good -- they seem to adjust to the personality of a party very well here. Our crowd tends to have a lot of peronality. The menu is creative and the food is very well prepared.

Chefs de France (Epcot): A hoot! I really enjoy this restaurant, particularly because I have a deep, abinding love for their braised short ribs and papardelle. Again, this is a noisy place, but it is downright beautiful in the late day sun or after dark.

Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club): Primarily a "prime" steakhouse, the fish/seafood and other offerings pleased my non-steak eating compatriots. Dessert here is something special. Service is a bit formal and the wine list is pricey. The restaurant is quieter and the tables spaced for more intimate dining and conversation with your party. I like to sit near the windows that overlook the pool, others dislike being near the pool. I've eaten here once and I will return.

bluezoo (Dolphin): Best fish dishes on property. Hip decor, very good service. I consider this more of a date spot than a party of three, but that's probably because the time I ate there it was only with my wife.

Shula's (Dolphin): These upscale steakhouses are great. I haven't eaten at the one here because I can eat at them other places, like near my home. If that isn't in the cards for you, consider giving it a try if steak and lobster are things you'd like to eat.

Il Mulino (Swan): I have eaten at the one in New York -- It's great. This one gets good reviews as well. I really like the decor.

Brown Derby (DHS): Great old-school meal. It's large layout and spread-out seating afford a relatively intimate setting even though it kind of looks like a warehouse when you first go in. The setting and experience don't scream "special event dining" to me, but I really like the restaurant.

Non Signature:
le Cellier: I don't think this restaurant deserves its mythic status, but I am a big fan. It's a very enjoyable meal with friendly, informal service.

Yak and Yeti: I inexplicably love this restaurant. The food is solid, but not phenomenal, and not unlike food I can get at a PF Chang's or a local asian restaurant. But I like the decor, the setting in AK is great, they have a really nice bar, and the service is spot-on. They were also patient and attentive with us as we hung out at the table and talked after our meal for a bit.

Casey's (MK): You want to make me happy on my birthday? Get me a hot dog and fries and a nice seat with a view of Main Street and Cinderella's Castle. After all -- it is the joys of experience and not the joys of excess that build lasting memories.

deebee29
03-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all your info. Very helpful!!!
Is Chefs de France a 2 credit meal on the DP? I thought it was one for some reason.

DVC~OKW~96
03-21-2010, 08:50 AM
We've had the very best birthday celebrations (adults) at Yachtsman's Steakhouse (so much so that we return there often for special celebrations) and Bistro (upstairs in France).

We've had the absolute worst meals and service (birthday celebrations) to the point of we'll not return at Narcoosee's and California Grill.

BlueZoo was ok, but it's improved... that birthday celebration was nice, but not as amazing and perfect as the first two mentioned. ::yes::

A delicious dinner for celebrations at Artist Pointe and Jiko, too. ::yes:: We've returned there, as well.

mjp12831
03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Excellent meal there last year - would return for certain if I was going to hit a signature again

jaynes
04-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Great post . So much information .

bellefromboston
04-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all your info. Very helpful!!!
Is Chefs de France a 2 credit meal on the DP? I thought it was one for some reason.

Chefs de France is not a signature. It is only one credit on the ddp.