PDA

View Full Version : 5K Blog for Big Girls

choirchic
03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
For anyone interested...I've started writing a blog about my journey into the world of running a 5K.
I'm a little under 300lbs so I am writing this from a Big Girl's point of view hoping to inspire anyone who might not otherwise try this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to follow along!

http://biggirls5k.blogspot.com/

pjlla
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I probably won't have time to keep up with your blog every day, but I'm inspired to see your progress! Good luck with your journey into the world of running!...............P

choirchic
03-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks Pjlla! :thumbsup2

VroomVroomLightning
03-20-2010, 12:05 AM
This is so ironic that I found this! I am a bigger girl myself and was looking into the Couch to 5k thing earlier today. I am a little unsure if I should do it at my current size or try to lose a little bit more before I go all into it! But I will for sure keep up with your journey!!

solar
03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
plus size here too...just finished my first 1/2 (Disney Princess)...started with c25k -- just wanted to cheer you on and wish you well on your journey! link below shows my size...but i didn't let it stop me

http://www.debrunning.com/even-plus-size-runners-can-finish-the-race.html

PiperPizzaz
03-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Cool, I am going to add it to my blog reader! I just started doing c25k and WW right now. I have probably about 90 lbs. to lose. I am supposed to be on wk 2 but, I have gotten a bladder infection and some kind of cold/flu thing at the same time. :scared1: I really want to get back out there!

I am going to do the princess 1/2 next year.

choirchic
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
plus size here too...just finished my first 1/2 (Disney Princess)...started with c25k -- just wanted to cheer you on and wish you well on your journey! link below shows my size...but i didn't let it stop me

Wow that's awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Cool, I am going to add it to my blog reader! I just started doing c25k and WW right now. I have probably about 90 lbs. to lose. I am supposed to be on wk 2 but, I have gotten a bladder infection and some kind of cold/flu thing at the same time. :scared1: I really want to get back out there!

I am going to do the princess 1/2 next year.

I'd love to do the Princess next year...our first 5K is in May, and I just want to cross the finish line! :thumbsup2

pixie dust 112
03-23-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm going to come back and look at this later. I have alot to lose and also want to be a runner...I guess first I should become a walker. I am very interested in reading about your journey.

roselark
03-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Us big girls rock!! I have started a blog too (in February), about my journey to the 1/2 marathon. I will definitely follow your progess! Isn't this exciting?! I have found that blogging has certainly helped.

Another forum that I have been folowing is here:
http://community.active.com/thread/81129/200-pound-club-3-1-2010-c25k-thread/0/0
There are lots of folks like us out there!

Here is a link to my blog if anyone is interested:
http://jeanettehalfmarathon.blogspot.com/

roselark
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM

That is awesome! I need to read your archives. It really helps to hear from others who have had success at this.

heatherlynn444
03-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I think it's great, good for you, I love blogging!

Zoesmama03
03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
:cool1: :thumbsup2

I'll save it to my bookmark toolbar so I can keep up. Your's too Jeanette. I'm another plus size who enjoys running when I can get in good enough shape for it.

I'm working on getting up to my 3 Mile Walk Away the Pounds dvd 3-4 days a week and then I want to start on the C25K again. Hopefully I can join a gym soon as its much too hot to run or walk here in AZ in the summer. People survive but I dunno how. I enjoyed my old gym and dd loved the kids room. Praying I find a job soon so I can get signed back up there.

Stephanator
03-26-2010, 06:53 PM
For anyone interested...I've started writing a blog about my journey into the world of running a 5K.
I'm a little under 300lbs so I am writing this from a Big Girl's point of view hoping to inspire anyone who might not otherwise try this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to follow along!

http://biggirls5k.blogspot.com/

I'm in! :thumbsup2

I've been on the road to weight loss this year and the idea of adding running to my routine intrigues me. I love reading blogs for just this reason. To virtually try out stuff through other's experiences.

Best of luck and pixie dust :wizard:

Us big girls rock!! I have started a blog too (in February), about my journey to the 1/2 marathon. I will definitely follow your progess! Isn't this exciting?! I have found that blogging has certainly helped.

Another forum that I have been folowing is here:
http://community.active.com/thread/81129/200-pound-club-3-1-2010-c25k-thread/0/0
There are lots of folks like us out there!

Here is a link to my blog if anyone is interested:
http://jeanettehalfmarathon.blogspot.com/

I'm in for this blog too! :thumbsup2 Double the reading pleasure!

solar
03-27-2010, 02:30 AM
glad my blog post was helpful...when i first started, i was so worried about my size -- but i'll be honest, there was every size and shape of women out there doing the princess and THAT was inspiring!

90% of the battle is the mental hurdle, honestly...it takes time and effort, but if you believe in yourself, you can do this with the proper training

good luck to everybody on their journey....and remember, you don't have to be small to accomplish your goals here...you just have to go forward, one step at a time :thumbsup2

ladytink75
03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I would love to hear how things work for you... I myself am a BIG girl... I weigh a little over 200 pounds.. I just started training for the 2011 Disney Princess Half marathon.. I am not a runner at all as a matter of fact I can't run due to a knee surgery that I had on my right knee 9 years ago... I just want to be able to finish the half marathon with out being swept but if i do end up getting swept i will be fine with that because I accomplished one feat and that was even starting this kind of race..

solar
03-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I would love to hear how things work for you... I myself am a BIG girl... I weigh a little over 200 pounds.. I just started training for the 2011 Disney Princess Half marathon.. I am not a runner at all as a matter of fact I can't run due to a knee surgery that I had on my right knee 9 years ago... I just want to be able to finish the half marathon with out being swept but if i do end up getting swept i will be fine with that because I accomplished one feat and that was even starting this kind of race..

there were many walkers at the Princess this year...and many women over 200 pounds...you won't stand out in that manner - it was beautiful...all sizes, shapes, paces, walkers, runners...really uplifting to see --

CptJackSparrowsGirl
03-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm going to join in on talking with you all here.
I'm a full figured girl myself.
I've started this most recent journey of losing weight at a large number of 268lbs :guilty:
I now weigh 263lbs after 5days of watching calories and walking. I hope the pounds continue to come off this easly and I fufill my goal of being able to wear a Bella Swan Dress from New Moon and other things as well.
I'm shooting for losing at least 100lbs and praying I stick to it and work hard. :woohoo:

choirchic
03-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm going to join in on talking with you all here.
I'm a full figured girl myself.
I've started this most recent journey of losing weight at a large number of 268lbs :guilty:
I now weigh 263lbs after 5days of watching calories and walking. I hope the pounds continue to come off this easly and I fufill my goal of being able to wear a Bella Swan Dress from New Moon and other things as well.
I'm shooting for losing at least 100lbs and praying I stick to it and work hard. :woohoo:

Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged...this is a long journey and slow and steady wins the race and keeps the lbs off! This time last year I was almost 325lbs! :scared1: Now I'm finally under the 300 mark and am starting to work out!

CptJackSparrowsGirl
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Hooray!! Good for you :woohoo:

Heather.Mohler
04-07-2010, 12:33 AM

I was so happy to see this! I am bigger than most if not everyone on the boards that I have found (started out at 391, am now at 378) and I want to do the Princess next year. The problem is I can't run because of how painful it is on my knees. So seeing that someone else is planning on walking the Princess Half Marathon (or even just that it is possible) makes me feel very optimistic!

FergieTCat
04-07-2010, 01:16 PM
My peeps!!!!!!!

I am starting the WW Walking program today, RIGHT NOW (literally, I am putting on sneakers). The first day is walking for 10 minutes. Anyone can do that, right??

Inspire me! And if anyone is in NYC, come walk with me!

choirchic
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
My peeps!!!!!!!

I am starting the WW Walking program today, RIGHT NOW (literally, I am putting on sneakers). The first day is walking for 10 minutes. Anyone can do that, right??

Inspire me! And if anyone is in NYC, come walk with me!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!:banana:

solar
04-17-2010, 01:11 PM
how is everyone doing? getting movement in?

I did another half marathon last weekend, and am registered for a third in May...

ladies...JUST KEEP MOVING. it's okay if you walk, run, do a combination of both...it's okay if you're fast, slow or somewhere in between...

....just keep moving. :thumbsup2

check in when you can and let us know how you are doing

Southerngirl71
04-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I actually just sent you a pm because I have so many questions. I am very happy to find this thread. I am brand new and plan on starting to train this week for the Princess next year. I really, really want to accomplish this. It helps knowing there are others like me that I can share this with.

solar
04-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Lori...just saw...will get back to you shortly

choirchic
04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
how is everyone doing? getting movement in?

I did another half marathon last weekend, and am registered for a third in May...

ladies...JUST KEEP MOVING. it's okay if you walk, run, do a combination of both...it's okay if you're fast, slow or somewhere in between...

....just keep moving. :thumbsup2

check in when you can and let us know how you are doing

Thanks for the support! I haven't been able to run for the past week but I was at least walking...I get to run today though! Can't wait! :woohoo:

solar
04-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Doing a 5k later this morning...race nerves kicking in (my tummy!)

anyway, how is everyone feeling? Getting moving? Formulating a plan? Getting exercise? All it takes is one foot in front of the other, no matter where you start - just starting is the biggest piece of the puzzle :thumbsup2

choirchic
04-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Doing a 5k later this morning...race nerves kicking in (my tummy!)

anyway, how is everyone feeling? Getting moving? Formulating a plan? Getting exercise? All it takes is one foot in front of the other, no matter where you start - just starting is the biggest piece of the puzzle :thumbsup2

YAY! Good Luck! :cheer2: Our first 5K is May 15th! :scared1:

solar
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
you'll do great - just put one foot in front of the other. :cool1:

choirchic
04-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey Solar...looking forward to hearing how your race went! We hope all is well! :cool1:

solar
04-25-2010, 07:36 AM
HI, thanks for asking. I got it done - and my time was 50 mins. I was happy with that. While I'm not setting any records and I'm a slow runner, for me, my pace was a little faster than what I usually do.

I average a 17-18 min pace, and this time did a little over 16 mins. I have a half marathon in May where I have to hold a 16min pace for the full 13 miles, so it's giving more more confidence to believe I'll get it done.

One day at a time...I just keep trying a little harder and ask my body to do what it can do. I'm proud of each and every accomplishment.

You can also always check my running blog at DebRunning.com - because I put all my running stuff there first. My weight is currently bouncing between 225-230 at this point. <--inspiration for those women who think they are too big to run...I started running with over 250 pounds on my body.

Kindly, Deb

NitemaresSister
05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone! How inspirational you guys have been from just reading your thread! I have recently started running in February... at 215 pounds. And to hear there are other people out there able to get up and do it is inspirational. I plan to keep posted on all the blogs and watch and hopefully feel inspired.

I have only been to a couple 5ks where my time has gradually gotten better...
Febrary 21- 55:34
March 6- 49:45
March 27- 48:32
April 17- 43:29

And I have managed to drop to 194 while training to run and following the South Beach Diet.

I would LOVE to be able to run a half marathon... how hard has it been for you all? The thoughts of 13 miles scares me a little. What keeps your going? Do you listen to music while you run?

Please share.

So excited about this thread!!! :woohoo:

solar
05-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I would LOVE to be able to run a half marathon... how hard has it been for you all? The thoughts of 13 miles scares me a little. What keeps your going? Do you listen to music while you run?

Training is key...you gradually build up - you can find a training plan online...Galloway, Hal Higdon, I used Marathoning for Mortals -- and you find you can go just a little farther each week. You'll be amazed at your progress by just making small changes each week. Most plans run about 12-14 weeks

I do listen to music when I run or a podcast - it helps keep me distracted and moving to a nice pace....good motivator.

I'll be doing my 3rd half next week -- my fourth in October - and honestly, the one mantra that sticks with me the most is.."Trust your training"....if you put the time and effort in, you can do it.

There's a quote that's goes well here:

Nobody plans to fail --- but many fail to plan.

you get there one step at a time...no matter how slow or how fast, it's the forward progress that will carry you to the finish line...

Cheers, Deb

kiranic
05-09-2010, 11:08 PM
I just found this discussion. I am so happy to see there are others out there that feel the same way I do. I started the year at 210, which was my biggest weight. I have been eating healthier and exercising and started the C25K program in March. I will be on week 9 tomorrow and will run my first 5K on May 15th. I have been able to drop 32lbs so I am now sitting at 178. I would really like to train for a 1/2 marathon in Sept. and Oct. but always thought it was out of reach for me. Now I have been inspired by some of your stories and think I might actually go for it!

solar
05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
So glad you've found us....one of the things that really took pressure off my mind was by using a run/walk program....I was like, "I can do that!"

You'll learn in this journey - 90% of it is a mental game and believing you can do it. If you believe you can, you can.....it's that doubt that will stop you if you let it work on you.

Some people on WISH recommended "Marathoning for Mortals" the book, and in it, not only does it talk about it, but has different training plans, so if you choose to walk, or if you choose to run, or if you choose to do a run/walk...or if you choose to do a walk/run...it shows you how to reach that goal...think the plans run somewhere around 14 weeks or so?

It was recommended to me to read it, and now I highly recommend it to others....it helped me understand that YES, I can do this! (and I have!)

solar
05-15-2010, 10:26 AM
just a quick check-in...have another half marathon tomorrow...just trying to keep moving - that's key for me. if i stop, it's really hard to get started again.

how is everyone doing?

choirchic
05-15-2010, 11:48 AM
FInished my first 5K today in under an hour! :banana: I survived...I will update my blog, and possibly post pictures on here later!

mikamah
05-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Congratulations Choirchic!! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I just found this thread, and am so inspired by you and your motivation to keep on going even when you are meeting obstacles. You just completed your first 5K!!! That is amazing!!

Solar- I loved reading your blog on the Princess half and watching the videos. You must be so proud. I am planning to do it next year, and have days that I think I'll never be able to do it, and I hear you and your success, and today I think I will be able to do it, as long as I just keep trying. Good luck on your half today!! You're probably out there right now.

I started the couch to 5k in Feb at 215 pounds, and haven't really lost much weight, but have really built up my endurance. I ran 2.5 miles straight once, and my hip paid for it for over a week, so I'm now gearing toward run/walking. I got out friday and did 5 miles, and would run for 2-3 min, and walk for 1-2 min, and toward the end, did more walking than running, but it is much easier on my body than running straight. I think I'm going to try the Marathoning for Mortals run/walk training plan.

Thanks to all of you here for the inspiration.

choirchic
05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
mikamah - I jogged the first mile and briskly walked the rest of it, but was was inportant is just crossing that finish line! We trained with the Couch to 5K program (also known as C25K) and we are already signed up for two more this summer.

I am currently hovering around 290lbs weight wise, and no one says that you have to RUN the whole race! It really is a mental thing. If I can do this...anyone can! :thumbsup2

solar
05-17-2010, 02:02 PM
FInished my first 5K today in under an hour! :banana: I survived...I will update my blog, and possibly post pictures on here later!

:banana::banana::banana:

Congratulations on a job well done!!!

solar
05-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I finished my half marathon this weekend. This is my 3rd time..and let me tell you, if i can do it - so can you. It's truly about believing you can, and when you're "feeling it" out there, just knowing you need to keep going. Just keep moving....

Trust me, right about 11.5 miles my head games kicked in big time....I just wanted to be done, but I knew to just put one foot in front of the other, no matter how slowly, no matter how small those steps were - it was still forward progress....and eventually you cross the finish line. :thumbsup2

I love Marathoning for Mortals because it made it feel very doable for me..I do a run/walk and it's been wonderful for me. You'd be surprised how many people out there do a run with walk breaks...you won't be alone...tons of people do it. Whatever gets you there...and you know what? There's never any shame in trying to do something...it's the willingness to try -- that's the TRUE first step!

You can and will do this....one step at a time - it's all forward progress.

amez
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I wanted to jump in and say I love the Chubby Jones podcast-she has 2 different ones for the couch to 5K and then another for training for a 10K I love the music she has and listen to her podcast when I'm just walking, or mowing the yard too.

Southerngirl71
05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Choirchic - That is awesome. I don't think I will ever be able to run a mile straight thru.

Solar - You are inspiring. Where do you find all the energy?

I have not been around much. I have been working crazy hours and just don't feel like getting on the computer much after a long day at work.

I finally decided last week to officially start to do something. I read Galloway's book on walking. It seemed to be really slow paced and starts you off at walking 15 minutes a day. I am use to walking so I figured I would skip to C25K but for some reason my calves are killing me. I can't even get through the first week. A couple of months ago my blood pressure was high when I went to the dr. She put me on a fluid pill / blood pressure pill combined. I have to take it with orange juice or a bananna. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. I did walk probably 4 times last week. On Saturday I went to the park and walked 6 miles averaging 18 minute miles. I am hoping if I can eventually add a little jogging to it I can speed that up. I seem to be able to do much better outside than on the treadmill.

I can't believe they changed the date of the Princess Half-Marathon. My best friend and I were all set for it. She has an annual meeting that she has to attend for work. The meeting was scheduled for the week before and she was going to leave the meeting and fly straight to Orlando. Now that they changed the dates she will not be able to make it because the day of the race is the first day she has to be at her convention. She is going to talk to her boss today but it is not looking good.

I really, really want to do the Princess marathon. I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone. I know it will probably be a little lonely not having someone there to celebrate with but I am doing this for me and to prove to myself that I can. Sorry this is so long.

Hope everyone has a great day.

solar
05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Solar - You are inspiring. Where do you find all the energy? .....

....but for some reason my calves are killing me. I can't even get through the first week.

...I did walk probably 4 times last week. On Saturday I went to the park and walked 6 miles averaging 18 minute miles. I am hoping if I can eventually add a little jogging to it I can speed that up. I seem to be able to do much better outside than on the treadmill.

...I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone.

energy? LOL, it's determination I guess - I just take it one workout at a time

-- as for aches, just do a gradual increase, like no more than 10% at a time...no need to jump from say 2 miles to 10 overnight! It's a slow, steady approach that allows your body to get used to the changes - so it becomes comfortable and used to it...

- make sure you have properly fitted shoes

- try shorter or longer strides and see if your legs feel different..I do better with shorter strides, but everyone is different

- and listen to your body! i know the difference between okay, this doesn't feel good to yikes, this is wrong....trust yourself on that note

- in my 40's! It's a great gift to yourself, your sense of pride and accomplishment will amaze you...very hard to explain that feeling

...you won't be alone, there are tons of people going :) Check the WISH official thread for PRincess, and you'll see tons of people -- also I love ROTE (Running of the Ears .com msg board -- running/disney fans) and they helped make my first 1/2 (Princess this year) a wonderful event and I had a lot of great people to meet along the way. If you check them out, they have Princess threads too. They helped keep me inspired during my training as well.

Kindly, Deb

solar
06-06-2010, 12:14 PM
How are we doing? Is everyone getting some form of exercise in? Walking, running, whatever....

...and if you're not, what is stopping you? What is your biggest hurdle at this point?

choirchic
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for keeping the thread going solar! I've been a little busy! I have a walkathon this coming weekend and then another 5K on the 19th! SO excited! :banana:

solar
06-06-2010, 10:49 PM
That's awesome...let us know how it goes! Good luck with everything

HockeyKat
06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I was perusing WISH this evening (a bit bored at work) and found this thread.

First of all, LOVE that all of you are doing this!! SO awesome!! Deb, your attitude is incredible, and 3 halfs! So impressed!

I really, really want to do the Princess marathon. I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone. I know it will probably be a little lonely not having someone there to celebrate with but I am doing this for me and to prove to myself that I can. Sorry this is so long.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hi SouthernGirl!! I did the Princess this year with 8 women I met through WISH. We are all planning to do it again in 2011. Please come join our WISH In Search Of My Body thread, if you want? We are on Vol 9 but there is always room for one more! We are varying degrees of speed/pace/weight/etc.

About me (if you care!):

I started this running journey in Jan, when the thought of doing the Princess became real and I started training... at 220 lbs. I could barely do an 18-20 min mile, and was freaking as the Princess has the 16mm time limit.

I mostly trained to walk, with some run intervals. For my 2 short runs during the week, I started at a 1/5 interval (run 1, walk 5), and was up to 1/1s at the end of the 8 weeks leading up to the Princess. For the long runs, I mostly concentrated on walking speed, as I knew that the walking speed is what would keep me on the course.

So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.

I highly recommend the run/walk programs. I keep telling myself, I can run for 1 minute! It's only 1 minute, right?

Oh, and I caught the running bug for sure... joined a local Galloway training program and have signed up for halfs in Aug (RnR in Chicago) and in Nov (OBX). Be careful, it's addictive!

Keep up the great work ladies, you are SO inspiring, and big girls can definitely run too!!! :goodvibes

Daisybelle
06-08-2010, 06:30 PM
About me (if you care!):

I started this running journey in Jan, when the thought of doing the Princess became real and I started training... at 220 lbs. I could barely do an 18-20 min mile, and was freaking as the Princess has the 16mm time limit.

I mostly trained to walk, with some run intervals. For my 2 short runs during the week, I started at a 1/5 interval (run 1, walk 5), and was up to 1/1s at the end of the 8 weeks leading up to the Princess. For the long runs, I mostly concentrated on walking speed, as I knew that the walking speed is what would keep me on the course.

So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.

I highly recommend the run/walk programs. I keep telling myself, I can run for 1 minute! It's only 1 minute, right?

Oh, and I caught the running bug for sure... joined a local Galloway training program and have signed up for halfs in Aug (RnR in Chicago) and in Nov (OBX). Be careful, it's addictive!

Keep up the great work ladies, you are SO inspiring, and big girls can definitely run too!!! :goodvibes

I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?

choirchic
06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?

I was just thinking the same thing! I have another 5K next weekend and my only goal is to better my time...even if it's just by a second! :worship:

HockeyKat
06-08-2010, 11:27 PM

I definitely did. By the end of the 8 weeks I went from walking a 3.4 (18mm I think) on the treadmill and dying, to a 4.0-4.2 (15/14 mm). I think I was so relieved to just be walking during the walk intervals, that I could keep a faster pace! :laughing:

It also helped to have a goal. Since the Princess closes the course at 3.5 hours, I was basically run/walking from the sweepers (in my mind anyhow!), everytime I got on the dreadmill.

solar
06-09-2010, 08:15 AM

:woohoo::woohoo:

awesome, and so glad you found us here -- you're right, the run/walk is what helped me go...I can do this too

solar
06-09-2010, 08:20 AM

I average about an 18 min mile and need to get faster...I have tried to increase my walk speed, but that isn't happening. I'm going to increase my run intervals instead, since i pick up speed there. -- when i run more, i can hit 16 mins --- ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

I should mention - fell down the stairs back in January - and have had tailbone issues since then -- if i try to run faster I pick up too much hip gyration and it causes too much discomfort in my tailbone area--- so i'll just run more, instead of faster to keep my form in tact without the pain :thumbsup2

I originally trained for 3/1 -- and somehow ended up getting comfortable at a 1/1....i'm currently going back to a 2/1 and 3/1 in training. I have 2 more half marathons (Oct and Nov) and am hoping this increases my time.

It's finding what works for you

solar
06-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I definitely did. By the end of the 8 weeks I went from walking a 3.4 (18mm I think) on the treadmill and dying, to a 4.0-4.2 (15/14 mm). I think I was so relieved to just be walking during the walk intervals, that I could keep a faster pace! :laughing:

It also helped to have a goal. Since the Princess closes the course at 3.5 hours, I was basically run/walking from the sweepers (in my mind anyhow!), everytime I got on the dreadmill.

they do say that...but just a tiny thing to help relieve you a little bit, it took me 3:52 to finish, and finish i did with the back of the pack....once you get past about mile 11 or 12, the fear of the sweep is gone, because you're back in the park -- but just made it past the sweep at mile 10 for me...i lost 5 mins in a porta potty line, and maybe 3-5 mins stopping to re-vaseline my one foot - but even with that, i beat the sweep -- think they were a tiny bit generous with the time...and people finished behind me also..think up to 4 (even though honestly, it does say 3.5) -- train for 3.5 -- but don't panic yourself...you'll move faster then you think with adrenalin kicking in

HockeyKat
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM
:woohoo::woohoo:

awesome, and so glad you found us here -- you're right, the run/walk is what helped me go...I can do this too

Thanks!!! :goodvibes

ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

I should mention - fell down the stairs back in January - and have had tailbone issues since then -- if i try to run faster I pick up too much hip gyration and it causes too much discomfort in my tailbone area--- so i'll just run more, instead of faster to keep my form in tact without the pain :thumbsup2

I originally trained for 3/1 -- and somehow ended up getting comfortable at a 1/1....i'm currently going back to a 2/1 and 3/1 in training. I have 2 more half marathons (Oct and Nov) and am hoping this increases my time.

It's finding what works for you

Interesting about the weight loss and the getting faster!! I am trying to shave off another 10-15 lbs before my Aug 1 half.

Sorry about the tailbone. :(

I am training with a local Galloway program here in Raleigh (6:30AM Sat runs, :eek:). I joined the 13 pace group, and they recommend 1/1s. You don't go up to 3/1s until you get to the 10:30 pace group.

I have personally found, and of course, YMMV, esp with the tailbone, that if I go to 3/1s or 3/2s, I start hurting. 1/1s with a 2/1 thrown in here and there, and I seem to recover a lot better?

they do say that...but just a tiny thing to help relieve you a little bit, it took me 3:52 to finish, and finish i did with the back of the pack....once you get past about mile 11 or 12, the fear of the sweep is gone, because you're back in the park -- but just made it past the sweep at mile 10 for me...i lost 5 mins in a porta potty line, and maybe 3-5 mins stopping to re-vaseline my one foot - but even with that, i beat the sweep -- think they were a tiny bit generous with the time...and people finished behind me also..think up to 4 (even though honestly, it does say 3.5) -- train for 3.5 -- but don't panic yourself...you'll move faster then you think with adrenalin kicking in

I also found out, about 2 weeks before, that they don't start the 3.5 timeclock until the last person crosses the start line. Maybe it was better I didn't know that in training! :laughing: I didn't cross the start line until 6:25 or so and was far from the last one to cross (front of corral D), so depending on your start position, that buys extra time too.

If I ever try a full, I might try the Nov OBX one, in the Outer Banks. They open the course at 7AM and don't close it until 3PM... that goes for the half marathoners too as they share the course and the halfers start at the same time, just in the middle.

Oh, and I have been reading all of your blogs. I love blogs. :)

Daisybelle
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I average about an 18 min mile and need to get faster...I have tried to increase my walk speed, but that isn't happening. I'm going to increase my run intervals instead, since i pick up speed there. -- when i run more, i can hit 16 mins --- ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

Well that's encouraging to hear (read)! I'm trying to hold off on starting the intervals until I get new shoes next month. I bought new ones at the beginning of May but I don't love them and I don't think they'll be great for running.

I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog! I check it every day and have learned A LOT. Thank you for documenting your journey! :flower3:

HockeyKat
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Yay! Deb, I found a way to add your blog feed to my google reader. Ahh, technology! I also am now a "follower" for the two from the first page.

Later today I am looking forward to reading your Princess HM report. :)

solar
06-17-2010, 08:20 AM
about the blog - thanks so much...i'm laying low right now, and trying to let my tailbone heal.

I fell in Jan. and haven't stopped moving -- so while I've been in lazy mode, i think it's actually helping. Going to stay in slow motion for a few more days and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers! OBX - I saw that and almost signed up!!! i signed up for AmishHalf.com instead though because it's closer to home.

HockeyKat
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Haha, I just commented. :)

The OBX one is about 3 hours from me. There is a Raleigh City of Oaks that is the weekend before, which is right in my backyard, but I have heard it is a competitive (under 3 hour), hilly course.

I don't think I am really ready for that... maybe next year. Plus I have a friend from Chicago coming down to do it with me (same friend for the Aug 1 RnR), and it will be a fun beach weekend.

solar
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
thx, just saw

glad your injury healed too...yeah, i'm nervous about the resting too long - and not restarting, but i think having races in the fall will help push me again

I hit Disney next week, so i'll be walking there, but that's all i'll do

choirchic
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
thx, just saw

glad your injury healed too...yeah, i'm nervous about the resting too long - and not restarting, but i think having races in the fall will help push me again

I hit Disney next week, so i'll be walking there, but that's all i'll do

YAY! :yay: HAVE FUN IN DISNEY!

I did a walkathon this past weekend and have another 5K on Saturday...I also hit my 10% (finally! :banana:) at Weight Watchers! Feeling Good Girls! If I EVER get down to 250 I'll be super happy!!!

solar
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
YAY! I also hit my 10% (finally! :banana:) at Weight Watchers! Feeling Good Girls! If I EVER get down to 250 I'll be super happy!!!

:thumbsup2 :cheer2: :woohoo:

great news!!! and you'll get there :)

Also congrats on the walkathon and good luck with your 5k

HockeyKat
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
YAY! :yay: HAVE FUN IN DISNEY!

I did a walkathon this past weekend and have another 5K on Saturday...I also hit my 10% (finally! :banana:) at Weight Watchers! Feeling Good Girls! If I EVER get down to 250 I'll be super happy!!!

Congrats!!! :yay:

Good luck on your 5K! Where in NC are you? I am in Raleigh-Durham.

I was super excited today... my 5K time at lunch was 36:39. I started at more like 50+ back in Jan. Both were on the treadmill and I have heard calibrations can be a bit off, but I will take it anyhow! :laughing:

choirchic
06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Congrats!!! :yay:

Good luck on your 5K! Where in NC are you? I am in Raleigh-Durham.

I was super excited today... my 5K time at lunch was 36:39. I started at more like 50+ back in Jan. Both were on the treadmill and I have heard calibrations can be a bit off, but I will take it anyhow! :laughing:

Thanks! I'm in Charlotte and am trying the Summer Breeze 5K on Saturday! I came in just under an hour on my first race...I'm hope to cut my time by at least a minute! :lmao:

mishoe01
07-09-2010, 03:18 PM
OMG!!! You guys are so AMAZING!!!

I'm so glad I found this thread!

I'm pooh-sized (5ft tall & 230lbs wide) and have decided to do the Princess 1/2 in 2011. You have made me feel like I CAN DO IT!! Thank you so much!

I'm starting my "training" today by going to get my new shoes. My podiatrist recommended a running store here in Orlando that fits the shoes to your feet (issues, etc) by doing the filming of you walking, so am looking forward to this. I went through this about 7 years ago (shoe shopping) in MD but can't find those shoes at all.

I have the Marathon for Mortals book, so hope to start reading that this weekend.

HockeyKat
07-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks! I'm in Charlotte and am trying the Summer Breeze 5K on Saturday! I came in just under an hour on my first race...I'm hope to cut my time by at least a minute! :lmao:

How did you do??

mishoe01, WELCOME!! Of course you can do it! I was 220 when I started training for the Princess 2010, and that was in January. :eek:

I would recommend starting by walking. It will get your body used to it.

I use the Galloway method, which is a run/walk program. I started at a walk 8 min, run 1 min, and am now (6 mos later) able to do run 3/walk 1.

Let us know how it goes!

adtillma1
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I'v just found this thread and think it is fantastic! I'm a "fluffy" girl and have a 5k on the books for August 28th and September 11th and then my 1st 1/2 marathon for November 7th.

choirchic
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I'v just found this thread and think it is fantastic! I'm a "fluffy" girl and have a 5k on the books for August 28th and September 11th and then my 1st 1/2 marathon for November 7th.

Wow! That's amazing! You Go girl! :cheer2:

grammynelliebelle
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Glad to have found this thread! I'm a " big chubby grammy" per my three year old grandaughter and for some reason (?) am interested in doing the 5K for the Princess in February. Am planning to google couch potato to 5K to see if it a planned program. Are there any others you might recommend. Thanks! Grammy

choirchic
07-12-2010, 01:05 PM
How did you do??

I knocked 20 seconds off my first race...and I was supposed to have another one this past weekend but had to forego due to a hurt foot. I'm on the mend though...hope to do my next one in September! :banana:

Booknut
07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
What an amazing thread! Well done all of you, i'm really chuffed to have found it :cool1:

Am going to have a good read of your blogs over the coming days. I've changed the focus of my blog seeing i've suddenly developed this completely irrational but very intent desire to start fast walking and then jogging/running as my weight comes down.

Looking forward to sharing on this thread :banana:

Miz Diz
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Came over to the WISH board to try to find some inspiration for dieting. Glad I found this thread. I keep saying I am going to do the c25k and decided I would start today. I downloaded a podcast that plays music and tells you when to walk and run.

I'm going to look over the blogs posted in this thread. I need people to help motivate me.

Booknut
07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Miz Diz, can you tell us about this podcast, its sounds like something i'd like to try.

Am also really looking for motivation :goodvibes

Desiree
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi ladies, I've been terrified of stepping back into WISH to look around. I've started and stopped so many times so I'm ready to recommit again and I was looking for advice about C25K and I find this thread! I think I have found my new home! lol Anyway I've been undergoing a lifestyle change myself and have lost 8 pounds so far. I've got a long long way to go though.

I do have a blog too on 3FC. Here's the url:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/geauxgirl/

Daisybelle
07-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Came over to the WISH board to try to find some inspiration for dieting. Glad I found this thread. I keep saying I am going to do the c25k and decided I would start today. I downloaded a podcast that plays music and tells you when to walk and run.

I'm going to look over the blogs posted in this thread. I need people to help motivate me.

I've been looking for a podcast-type thing too. Please share what you have found! I think that would be really helpful. :thumbsup2

choirchic
07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi ladies, I've been terrified of stepping back into WISH to look around. I've started and stopped so many times so I'm ready to recommit again and I was looking for advice about C25K and I find this thread! I think I have found my new home! lol Anyway I've been undergoing a lifestyle change myself and have lost 8 pounds so far. I've got a long long way to go though.

I do have a blog too on 3FC. Here's the url:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/geauxgirl/

YAY! Welcome and Good luck! I am down almost 40...stopped C25K for a little while because I've been having problems with my foot, and now I'm addicted to Zumba! I haven't written on my blog for a while...it seems like there are more of you here then there so I will try to keep this thread going! :thumbsup2

Hey Miz Diz, can you tell us about this podcast, its sounds like something i'd like to try.

Am also really looking for motivation :goodvibes

I've been looking for a podcast-type thing too. Please share what you have found! I think that would be really helpful. :thumbsup2

Ok Ladies...here's what I found when I first started the program...Running Into Shape is a great website for inspiring women of size to do things like this. Her Podcasts are pretty cool as they tell you when to start and stop running. The music is ok too.

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

Desiree
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
YAY! Welcome and Good luck! I am down almost 40...stopped C25K for a little while because I've been having problems with my foot, and now I'm addicted to Zumba! I haven't written on my blog for a while...it seems like there are more of you here then there so I will try to keep this thread going! :thumbsup2

Ok Ladies...here's what I found when I first started the program...Running Into Shape is a great website for inspiring women of size to do things like this. Her Podcasts are pretty cool as they tell you when to start and stop running. The music is ok too.

WOOT! Thanks for posting that link and for the encouragement! Going to check that link out now!

Booknut
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM

That's brilliant, thanks so much, will try downloading that! Our new treadmill arrives on Saturday, i'm so excited :goodvibes I never thought the day would come when i'd be excited over a treadmill :lmao:

Desiree: Hi ya, i'm totally with you on the David Tennant/Doctor Who thing, he was the best!!!

Desiree
07-20-2010, 04:04 PM
That's brilliant, thanks so much, will try downloading that! Our new treadmill arrives on Saturday, i'm so excited :goodvibes I never thought the day would come when i'd be excited over a treadmill :lmao:

Desiree: Hi ya, i'm totally with you on the David Tennant/Doctor Who thing, he was the best!!!

LOL I know what you mean about being excited over a treadmill. I'm anxious for DH to get home so we can go running shoe shopping! :woohoo:

Yea, I'm still in mourning over DT's departure. I still haven't warmed to the new guy. Oh well. I'll still watch!

Daisybelle
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeehaw! That was fast. Thank you! Can't wait to give it a whirl! :cool1:

Zoesmama03
07-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Wow thanks choirchic for the link. I have an old set of podcasts but I love that these are more trendy music over the other. I like techno trance or whatever alright but think these will be more motivating. :thumbsup2

Desiree
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know of a podcast that offers the same timing announcement changes for C25K but one that you can set your own music to? :dance3: lol I'm not sure I can handle the "thump, thump" of techno anymore like I used to!

choirchic
07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know of a podcast that offers the same timing announcement changes for C25K but one that you can set your own music to? :dance3: lol I'm not sure I can handle the "thump, thump" of techno anymore like I used to!

The link to the Podcasts that I previously posted have more of a Pop/R&B track to them if you're interested. I'd love to make my own, if you find a place that I can, let me know! :thumbsup2

choirchic
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
So here's a question for you gals out there...have you been to WDW since you started your fitness programs? If so, have you found it makes a difference in your endurance while there?

I know that in the past I was exhausted by the end of the day because of my weight. I'm hoping it will not be so bad this year...one can't run on Pixie Dust alone after all! :rotfl2:

Daisybelle
07-21-2010, 01:28 PM
I hear ya! We're planning on going next spring to Disneyland and I'm hoping to do much better this time around! Last time we went I was at my heftyest and I did ok the first 2 days but felt beat up by day 3. I'm really looking forward to (hopefully!) doing better. Have to perfect my Fastpass Walk! :yay:

Booknut
07-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I have only just started and the treadmill comes on Saturday (have I said how exciting this is?!! Probably, i'm boring everyone with my treadmill story :lmao:). We haven't been to WDW for 4 years and both times we went it was such a struggle for me, especially in the September heat.

I sometimes think about how amazing its going to feel, going back not only so much fitter and able to have fun in the parks for hours on end but to be able to 'run' through the parks, that is going to be awesome! :lovestruc

Am looking forward to hearing about all of your trips and what changes you've noticed.

choirchic
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I sometimes think about how amazing its going to feel, going back not only so much fitter and able to have fun in the parks for hours on end but to be able to 'run' through the parks, that is going to be awesome! :lovestruc

I can't wait! We will have our nephews with us this year...can't wait to try and keep up! Who knows...I might outlast them! Pixie Dust on Overdrive! :rotfl:

Desiree
07-22-2010, 07:01 AM
So here's a question for you gals out there...have you been to WDW since you started your fitness programs? If so, have you found it makes a difference in your endurance while there?

I know that in the past I was exhausted by the end of the day because of my weight. I'm hoping it will not be so bad this year...one can't run on Pixie Dust alone after all! :rotfl2:

Well I'm actually pretty interested to find this out. I haven't been to WDW since before I had the DVT's in my legs. I'm no where near where I need to be fitness-wise yet but I am pretty consistent since I've been walking regularly now. I am doing alot better than when I first stated this. I'm thinking that if we go this year (maybe after Thanksgiving) at the very least I'd like to think I could do a days worth of walking at Disney fairly easy. Heck I just want to be able to fit comfortably in the rides without my sides smooshed in!

choirchic
07-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Heck I just want to be able to fit comfortably in the rides without my sides smooshed in!

Can I get an amen for that! :worship:

Booknut
07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Can I get an amen for that! :worship:

Amen to that ladies!!! The last time I rode Dinosaur I came out with HUGE bruises on my thighs...OUCH :eek: I don't even remember much about the ride other than it hurt and I spent most of the ride going 'ow, ow, oh, ow, ow' and holding on for dear life.

I'm told that Dinosaur is actually a fun ride, who knew :rotfl: One fun thing i'm looking forward to trying. And I haven't even been to Universal...

What rides are you guys looking forward to trying with your new fitter bodies?

BTW, less than 48 hours to new treadmill and new c25k regime, woo hoo! Have a good day :goodvibes

HockeyKat
07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I can attest that weight loss and cardio health definitely makes walking around WDW, and the rides, a lot more fun. A few years back I got closer to my "fighting weight" and I could tell a HUGE difference between trips.

I am hoping to be that way for my Sept trip to WDW. I have about 15 more lbs to go to be at my lowest adult weight in the last 7 years.

My husband is on the bigger side too... has anyone else had a CM try to shove 4 "larger" adults into Small World or POC?? We actually had to make the CM reseat us, it was rather embarrassing.

We also had trouble with that mouse coaster thingy in Animal Kingdom (the one in DinoLand). They tried to put both of us in a 2-seat, which yeah right. Even that super skinny Stacy chick and a KID barely fit in there on the resort loop.

Desiree
07-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Amen to that ladies!!! The last time I rode Dinosaur I came out with HUGE bruises on my thighs...OUCH :eek: I don't even remember much about the ride other than it hurt and I spent most of the ride going 'ow, ow, oh, ow, ow' and holding on for dear life.

I'm told that Dinosaur is actually a fun ride, who knew :rotfl: One fun thing i'm looking forward to trying. And I haven't even been to Universal...

BTW, less than 48 hours to new treadmill and new c25k regime, woo hoo! Have a good day :goodvibes

Congrats on that new treadmill!!! I'm starting c25k on Monday so we'll be doing it at the same time practically! I'm interested in following your progress!

I'm just exited at riding just about EVERYTHING again and doing it comfortably! I'm hoping our next trip we can squeeze in a side jaunt to Universal and IOA. I"m a big coaster fan so I'm looking forward to doing all of those there and the ones at Disney too!

I can attest that weight loss and cardio health definitely makes walking around WDW, and the rides, a lot more fun. A few years back I got closer to my "fighting weight" and I could tell a HUGE difference between trips.

I am hoping to be that way for my Sept trip to WDW. I have about 15 more lbs to go to be at my lowest adult weight in the last 7 years.

My husband is on the bigger side too... has anyone else had a CM try to shove 4 "larger" adults into Small World or POC?? We actually had to make the CM reseat us, it was rather embarrassing.

We also had trouble with that mouse coaster thingy in Animal Kingdom (the one in DinoLand). They tried to put both of us in a 2-seat, which yeah right. Even that super skinny Stacy chick and a KID barely fit in there on the resort loop.

WOW great job with only 15 pounds to go! :banana:

choirchic
07-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Amen to that ladies!!!

And I haven't even been to Universal...

Hooray for the new treadmill! About Universal...went there on my honeymoon and didn't get to ride ANYTHING! I'm hoping to at least fit on the Simpsons ride and maybe if I suck it in enough get to ride the new Harry Potter stuff this year! :laughing:

Booknut
07-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, she's here!!! My gorgeous new treadmill is now up and running and both my husband and I have had 3 goes on it already.

My excitement was tempered however by how utterly out of shape I am so that made me a bit sad but not for long, just made me realise how much more determined I am to do this!

I'm embarrassed to say it took me 13.5 minutes to run 1/2 a mile, that is pretty pathetic! I could hardly see anymore I was sweating so much!!! :scared1: I tried doing 4-5 minutes walking and then a 30 second jog which was not easy at my size (over 300lbs) but I did it and didn't die so i'm going to keep that up for now.

I don't think i'm even fit enough to try C25K yet but i'm going to keep working out twice a day and build up a bit of stamina and when I feel I can do the 60 second jog I will start the C25K.

I also started Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago so am hoping that each week will get easier as the weight comes down :banana:

Hope you guys are having a great weekend :hug:

Desiree
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Well, she's here!!! My gorgeous new treadmill is now up and running and both my husband and I have had 3 goes on it already.

My excitement was tempered however by how utterly out of shape I am so that made me a bit sad but not for long, just made me realise how much more determined I am to do this!

I'm embarrassed to say it took me 13.5 minutes to run 1/2 a mile, that is pretty pathetic! I could hardly see anymore I was sweating so much!!! :scared1: I tried doing 4-5 minutes walking and then a 30 second jog which was not easy at my size (over 300lbs) but I did it and didn't die so i'm going to keep that up for now.

I don't think i'm even fit enough to try C25K yet but i'm going to keep working out twice a day and build up a bit of stamina and when I feel I can do the 60 second jog I will start the C25K.

I also started Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago so am hoping that each week will get easier as the weight comes down :banana:

Good for you! And it will get easier at some point! Just keep up the good work and we will all get there!

HockeyKat
07-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Great!!!

There is absolutely NO shame in starting slow. I barely did 2 miles in 40 min the first time I tried, and I felt awful. 6 mos later and I can do 3 miles in under 33 min. However, I also went from ~220 to ~175 and it has made a HUGE difference.

I honestly never did C25K because I have found the run/walk intervals is for me, and C25K trains you to run the whole thing. I don't care if people say I a not a "runner" because I walk every few minutes. :laughing:

I agree that C25K is something to work toward, anyhow. It was too intense for me, so I started with a walk 8-10 min, run 1 min, and it seems like maybe you should start even a bit slower? Maybe walk until you have lost a little, then start adding in 30 second running intervals where they are comfortable.

The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself or burn out. Slow and steady wins the race (or at least allows you to finish it!!).

Congratulations on starting the journey! I am so excited for you! :goodvibes

choirchic
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Booknut - I LOVE Weight Watchers! I'm down almost 40lbs and DH is down almost 100lbs! :woohoo:

Here are some resources for you to check out:

Love me some Hungry Girl. Her recipes and food suggestions are AWESOME!
(Her Egg in a Mug recipe makes breakfast super fast and easy!)
http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Dotti's Weight Loss Zone is a pretty good place to check out points for restraunts. She's pretty accurate for the most part...I usually add a couple points onto what she calculates just in case. :thumbsup2
http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

Enjoy your treadmill and GOOD LUCK! :banana:

Booknut
07-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone, this thread is so incredibly supportive :hug:

I have signed up for the many blogs mentioned on here and will start updating mine more often and start including some piccies too.

HockeyKat: my main goal is to do a Disney Half-Marathon and I definitely won't be running it, more fast walk/jog and I have 62 weeks to get to the point where I can do it. Should I fall a bit short I'll probably sign up for the Halloween 5K assuming they do it again next year. This is the plan anyway :) WDW is a very expensive trip for us from England and we haven't been in 4 years so next year when we go I want to do SOME sort of running :cool1:

Funny, if you'd have told me last month i'd be planning our next trip to WDW around their marathon schedules i'd have laughed you out of the house!

Choirchic: Thanks for those links, am going to go have a look now. I have heard of Dotti I think but the other one is new to me. Really appreciate it :thumbsup2 And congrats on the weight loss! I love WW too, knowing that nothing is forbidden makes it much much easier psychologically I think.

Desiree: Will be awesome when we're all posting our amazing times on here ;)

Daisybelle
07-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok 'big girls', I have a question today. When you do a long run and or walk, what do you carry?

Sundays I do my long walk to build up my endurance. Today I scheduled a 5 miler to do. Since I've been running intervals a few days a week, (1 minute run/shuffle to 3 minutes walking) I thought I'd incorporate that in to my long walk today. Normally when I do intervals during the week, I only go for 30 minutes so I don't really need to carry anything. I knew 5 miles would take me 90+ so I wore my waist pack with two small bottles of liquid in it.

Oh. My. Heck. :headache: My hip is killing me. I quickly gave up on the running and just switched to walking AND dropped from 5 miles to 4.25. Ow. Waist pack was a very bad idea.

Anyone have a good suggestion for alternatives? I really need to carry liquid with me but carrying on my waist and hips is NOT going to work.

Ok, gonna go ice while I wait for a response...

Desiree
07-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Ok 'big girls', I have a question today. When you do a long run and or walk, what do you carry?

Sundays I do my long walk to build up my endurance. Today I scheduled a 5 miler to do. Since I've been running intervals a few days a week, (1 minute run/shuffle to 3 minutes walking) I thought I'd incorporate that in to my long walk today. Normally when I do intervals during the week, I only go for 30 minutes so I don't really need to carry anything. I knew 5 miles would take me 90+ so I wore my waist pack with two small bottles of liquid in it.

Oh. My. Heck. :headache: My hip is killing me. I quickly gave up on the running and just switched to walking AND dropped from 5 miles to 4.25. Ow. Waist pack was a very bad idea.

Anyone have a good suggestion for alternatives? I really need to carry liquid with me but carrying on my waist and hips is NOT going to work.

Hmm.. well honestly when I used to do long walks, I actually walked around the lakes here and they had water fountains stationed several places. So I have no experience with water pouches or anything. But I do recall seeing something called a camel back or something that looks like a booksack but holds water, when I was in Academy Sports store over the weekend. Maybe you can look into that. I'm going to go google it to see what exactly it is called.

Ok W1D1 of C25K is done! It was sort of a "woggle" but I did it! LOL And I feel ok. My left calf feels a little stiff though but so far so good other than that!

HockeyKat
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Ow ow owww!!!

I don't carry water unless I am going for more than 8 miles or so. My running club makes us carry it though, so I have a one 10oz bottle fuel belt (in XL, biggest size I could find with smallest bottle!) that I quite frankly hate. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it irritates me. As I have been losing weight and it now almost fits the hips, it's better...

However, if you need it, they make clutch bottles that you can just carry - they have a handle to make it easier. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-22-Ounce-Carrier/dp/B000NHLHU2

Desiree
07-26-2010, 11:05 AM
The backpack thing is called "Camelbak". Seems a little pricey though!

Daisybelle
07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I shall look into the Camelback thingy. That might be a way to go. I saw one on ebags for $29. That's not so bad, I guess.
I tried carrying my water and it just wigs out my hand to carry it to long. So high maintenance I am turning out to be! :rolleyes: I wish I could walk along time and feel like I didn't have to carry water. Maybe I need to figure out more strategic places to walk that has water fountains. Hmmm...

Thanks for the suggestions! You guys are quite awesome. :flower3:

HockeyKat
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
You may also be able to find a place where you can stash a bottle? I have totally seen bottles at places on the trail that I usually do... or if you are walking loops in your neighborhood you can put one in your mailbox?

I could never ever wear the camelback. Holy hot batman! Then again, I live in the oppressively hot South (or so it seems lately, yesterday's heat index was like 120). :laughing:

They make a camel water belt but that is likely not an option either.

Desiree
07-26-2010, 01:35 PM
I could never ever wear the camelback. Holy hot batman! Then again, I live in the oppressively hot South (or so it seems lately, yesterday's heat index was like 120). :laughing:

I'm in Louisiana and oppressively hot is right! I do my walking around 5 am in the morning and when I get home I'm STILL soaked with sweat! I am sooooooooooo looking forward to the fall and cooler weather.

I just wonder how heavy that Camelbak is. That might be the deciding factor!

Daisybelle
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
You both make me glad to be in the Pacific Northwest. We rarely get super hot here and it usually takes all day to get there.
I think I'll go to a sports store this weekend and check it out. I hadn't thought about the weight issue of the Camelback. I think Solar (Deb) uses one. Hopefully we'll hear from her on how well she likes it.

HockeyKat
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
You both make me glad to be in the Pacific Northwest. We rarely get super hot here and it usually takes all day to get there.
I think I'll go to a sports store this weekend and check it out. I hadn't thought about the weight issue of the Camelback. I think Solar (Deb) uses one. Hopefully we'll hear from her on how well she likes it.

I am pretty sure Deb uses one, too. There are a few guys in my running group that have them, and I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it. I also really don't need that much water.

I am lucky, though, my running group provides water stops. On a non-hot-as-you-know-what day, I wouldn't need much more than the 10 oz I carry on the fuel belt, but this summer I have needed the water to pour over my head at just about every water stop! :laughing:

Our summer here has been hot hot hot. I did my 10 miles with the group on Sat AM and it was 83 and 80% humidity at 6:30AM. Heat index was at 116 at 10:30, and the actual high got to 101. They made everyone stop at 9:30 regardless of mileage.

Daisybelle
07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
116?!?! That is both sick and wrong! Take comfort in knowing that at least you didn't have to wait until the end of June for it to even remotely begin to feel like summer. It felt like a rainy March here until then. That was depressing. Nevermind. That is no comfort if you have to deal with 116 heat index. <shudder> This redhead would burst into flames! :firefight

HockeyKat
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
We had the hottest June on record here. About 8 degrees on average above normal, and tied our record highest day ever, at 105 degrees. we are on our way to the hottest July, as well. It hit 101 both days last weekend.

It's fairly normal in North Carolina to be in the 90s from May - Sept, but this year has been absolutely ridiculous. We had an extremely cold winter this year, as well. Weirdness.

It's plenty humid here too, which is what makes the heat indexes so bad.

Right now it is "only" 91, with a heat index of 101. :laughing:

My electric bill unfortunately shows the effects of this. :scared1:

Daisybelle
07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
I grew up in the Chicago area and i SO don't miss humidty and crazy weather. I greatly resembled Little Orphan Annie during the summer months. So not cute! :rotfl:

I feel bad for you folks back East and the horrible weather you've had this year. Craziness!

choirchic
07-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Heat index was at 116 at 10:30, and the actual high got to 101. They made everyone stop at 9:30 regardless of mileage.

HockeyKat...I'm right there with ya! I'm here in Charlotte and had to spend most of my day in and out of my car...and it's black! :scared1: I swear I'd leave for only a few minutes and it felt hot enough to bake something in it! YUCK! I am soooo over summer! When's fall gonna get here? :hippie:

adtillma1
07-27-2010, 08:24 AM
HockeyKat...I'm right there with ya! I'm here in Charlotte and had to spend most of my day in and out of my car...and it's black! :scared1: I swear I'd leave for only a few minutes and it felt hot enough to bake something in it! YUCK! I am soooo over summer! When's fall gonna get here? :hippie:

I'm with you guys! I tried running on Sunday and it was so hot at 7:30pm that I was soaked through all of my clothes after 30 minutes. Luckily today is supposed to only have a high of 93 so it might not be all that bad.

Desiree
07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Good morning everyone! How are you all today?

I overslept a bit this morning so I only managed a 15 minute walk. I guess that's better than nothing! I am a little sore too from yesterday. But hopefully that will wear off and I'll be good to go on W1D2 tomorrow!

Daisybelle
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Good morning!
I am taking 1 more day off to let my sciatic nerve calm down a bit more. It's much better today but I don't want to mess myself up any further. I do a group walk on Wednesday evenings with some friends so hopefully I'll be up to doing that tomorrow. It's quite frustrating not being able to keep to my regular schedule. :sad2:

Desiree
07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Good morning!
I am taking 1 more day off to let my sciatic nerve calm down a bit more. It's much better today but I don't want to mess myself up any further. I do a group walk on Wednesday evenings with some friends so hopefully I'll be up to doing that tomorrow. It's quite frustrating not being able to keep to my regular schedule. :sad2:

Aww sorry to hear that. But you are doing the right thing by laying off until you feel up to par! Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery! Try not to overdo it Wednesday either!

Daisybelle
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Thank you! I appreciate that. :upsidedow

I have a question for you all. I'm sure this has been discussed a ton on the wish boards but I'll ask anyway!

Plateaus: What have you done to bust through them? I've lost 29.5 pounds since April and I've been stuck now for about 2 weeks. Partly due to going off of a medication I think; although the rewards of being off of it are worth moving into a plateau.
Suggestions? Ideas? :idea:

Booknut
07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone :goodvibes

Desiree: Well done on doing the 15 minutes, I was all set for having a go this morning but couldn't this morning, Aunt Flo's fault...poor excuse but I was useless until I got some painkillers in me. Had a go tonight though. I really wish I'd bought this treadmill ages ago!

Daisybelle: Hope the rest helps you heal - plateauing is so hard, but if you've been at the same weight for 2 weeks you're probably coming through it soon. Don't have any tips as I haven't lost any weight successfully in years but sending :hug: and hoping you come through it with a big swoosh!

You guys sure do get some crazy weather! It's been quite nice in London, sunny and hot but not too hot. We've been to WDW twice in September and that was some crazy weather, cannot imagine running in that at all so I admire you guys who do :worship:

Have a good one, its almost bedtime for me!

Desiree
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Plateaus: What have you done to bust through them? I've lost 29.5 pounds since April and I've been stuck now for about 2 weeks. Partly due to going off of a medication I think; although the rewards of being off of it are worth moving into a plateau.
Suggestions? Ideas? :idea:

Hmm all I've really done is just change things up a bit. Add some new workouts in or just keep trying different ones. That does seem to help.

Hi everyone :goodvibes

Desiree: Well done on doing the 15 minutes, I was all set for having a go this morning but couldn't this morning, Aunt Flo's fault...poor excuse but I was useless until I got some painkillers in me. Had a go tonight though. I really wish I'd bought this treadmill ages ago!

You guys sure do get some crazy weather! It's been quite nice in London, sunny and hot but not too hot. We've been to WDW twice in September and that was some crazy weather, cannot imagine running in that at all so I admire you guys who do :worship:

Have a good one, its almost bedtime for me!

Good job to you on getting some time in last night even despite Aunt Flo.
Yea, we are hot here about 10 months out of the year. And we just try to do things around the swealtering parts! lol

Well I did W1D2 today. I was pretty sore and I did stop at the 10 minute mark of the jog/walk. I went inside and got as far as the bathroom then I started thinking. This is exactly where I would just throw in the towel and quit. I do that every single time. So I put my shoes back on and went back outside to finish the last 10 minutes. I think I finally have crossed a major hurdle here. I am my own worst enemy. By making myself go out and actually finish has given me renewed faith that I AM doing the right thing here. I can't stop now. I've got so much yet to accomplish!

Daisybelle
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Well I did W1D2 today. I was pretty sore and I did stop at the 10 minute mark of the jog/walk. I went inside and got as far as the bathroom then I started thinking. This is exactly where I would just throw in the towel and quit. I do that every single time. So I put my shoes back on and went back outside to finish the last 10 minutes. I think I finally have crossed a major hurdle here. I am my own worst enemy. By making myself go out and actually finish has given me renewed faith that I AM doing the right thing here. I can't stop now. I've got so much yet to accomplish!

Way to go! That took a lot of steel! I think the brain is the biggest hurdle we deal with. You should get a gold star for that one! :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

Desiree
07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks! Yea, I ALWAYS self-sabotage. This is usually where I end up doing myself in all the time. I lose a bit of weight and then I get too complacent!

MamaCrush
07-28-2010, 03:23 PM

I live just north of Charlotte (near the Speedway) and I joined a gym just so I could use a treadmill indoors!!

Booknut
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM

That is just AWESOME!!!! Well done!!! :banana::cool1::banana: For me, the mental stuff is the worst. I am also my own worst enemy and i've given up so many times before that it just naturally eats at your self esteem and self belief so I think its huge that you did that!!! Am really chuffed for you :hug:

choirchic
07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I live just north of Charlotte (near the Speedway) and I joined a gym just so I could use a treadmill indoors!!

I'm in Mint Hill :thumbsup2

Daisybelle
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Good Morning!

I am happy to report that I successfully walked 60 minutes last night and my sciatic nerve is no worse for it! I even jogged a bit since my nieces were begging me too. It felt so good! :yay:

How goes it for y'all?

Desiree
07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Good Morning!

I am happy to report that I successfully walked 60 minutes last night and my sciatic nerve is no worse for it! I even jogged a bit since my nieces were begging me too. It felt so good! :yay:

How goes it for y'all?

Wow that's fantastic! Great job!!!!

Today was a bit of a blur for me today. I was so tired last night that I went to bed at 8:30 and still managed to sleep through my alarm. And work was chaos, so needless to say no walking was done today. But W1D3 is tomorrow for c25k so I'll do that. Speaking of which, I've been thinking that I might need to do week 1 again just because I don't think I'm ready for week 2. Should I give week 2 a go or do one more round of week 1? So far my legs have been holding up, with the exception of just a bit of soreness but as the week has worn on I'm not really having any issues at all.

adtillma1
07-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow that's fantastic! Great job!!!!

Today was a bit of a blur for me today. I was so tired last night that I went to bed at 8:30 and still managed to sleep through my alarm. And work was chaos, so needless to say no walking was done today. But W1D3 is tomorrow for c25k so I'll do that. Speaking of which, I've been thinking that I might need to do week 1 again just because I don't think I'm ready for week 2. Should I give week 2 a go or do one more round of week 1? So far my legs have been holding up, with the exception of just a bit of soreness but as the week has worn on I'm not really having any issues at all.

If you feel like to you need to repeat week one then do. I think I repeated week 1 and week 5, but after that it was much easier.

Desiree
08-01-2010, 05:49 AM
If you feel like to you need to repeat week one then do. I think I repeated week 1 and week 5, but after that it was much easier.

Cool I'll do just that! Awesome! I actually did pretty good yesterday. I went and walked around the lakes here. Was about 4 miles and it took me about 90 minutes to do but that's the furthest I've walked since I started exercising and I'm pretty proud I did it. I think I might try to make this my weekend routine!

How's everyone's weekend going so far?

Daisybelle
08-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Desiree--How cool that you have lakes to walk around! Pretty scenery makes walks go faster.

I had a really good walk yesterday. I went in for a massage on Friday to try undo the damage I did last weekend and that helped loosen me back up a little bit. I did a 2.5 miler and I felt like my pace was really good. It was my fastest time yet. Today I do my 5 miler and I plan to just walk. I have a 5k on Wednesday and I don't want to jeopardize that.

Oh! And I have officially lost 30 pounds! I had been stuck for about 2 to 3 weeks and the scale finally moved yesterday. Yeehaw! :yay:

Desiree
08-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Desiree--How cool that you have lakes to walk around! Pretty scenery makes walks go faster.

I had a really good walk yesterday. I went in for a massage on Friday to try undo the damage I did last weekend and that helped loosen me back up a little bit. I did a 2.5 miler and I felt like my pace was really good. It was my fastest time yet. Today I do my 5 miler and I plan to just walk. I have a 5k on Wednesday and I don't want to jeopardize that.

Oh! And I have officially lost 30 pounds! I had been stuck for about 2 to 3 weeks and the scale finally moved yesterday. Yeehaw! :yay:

OMG Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: 30 pounds! That's fantastic!
And you are so right, it makes it so much easier to walk when you have such pretty scenery!

Spottedprincess
08-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Daisybelle,
You have come a long way. What an inspiration you are to so many of us woman of substance.

Daisybelle
08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Thank you Desiree and Spottedprincess. I really appreicate it!

Daisybelle
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Last night was my 3rd 5k! Evening 5ks are not as easy as morning ones, at least for me! There's all that day time to get worked up and nervous about it! :scared1:

All said and done it went pretty well. I improved my time from the 2nd 5k I did, I shaved about 3 more minutes off of my time, but I was not feeling very fluid during the walk. It was pretty disorganzied and I think that added to my nerves so I was too tightly wound by the time it started and it took awhile to loosen up. By the end of the second mile I was finally feeling great and just tried to haul it as fast as I could that last mile. I don't think I'd do that event again but I'm looking forward to a morning race in September!

How is everyone doing on walking and training? :upsidedow

choirchic
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Congrats Daisybelle! :yay:

We are trying for our third this September...I've stepped up my training a little bit and am trying for a better time. The southern heat is killing me though!

Daisybelle
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Heat is really no fun to be out exercising in! Imagine how fabulous you'll do in the fall air after training during the summer heat! You'll be crazy fast. :cutie:

Desiree
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
:cheer2: Congrats Daisybelle!!!

I'm doing ok with everything! Still on week 1 do-over for C25K but didnt' get to get any exercising in this morning as DH had reset the alarm the night before and forgot to change it back for me. So, I overslept this morning :headache:. But I'll be back on track tomorrow I think. (It raining today and plus it's just way too hot to exercise in the evenings here..)

How are you all doing?

HockeyKat
08-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Congrats Daisybelle, on both the half and the 30 lb loss!! :yay: :yay:

I finished my 2nd half last weekend, the Chicago RnR. Managed to shave 22 minutes off my Princess 2010 (in March) time with a finish time of 2:49, but my left shin was killing me by the end and I had to walk more than I wanted to of the last 4-5 miles.

Also, unfortunately, wound up having to go straight from Chicago to San Antonio from work for the week, and my eating has been *awful*.

I was down 43 lbs right before I left NC for Chicago on 7/28, and I swear I have put back at least 5-10 in the last week! So hard to eat right on the road...

However, if you had asked me in Dec 2009 (at 220+ lbs) if I would have picked up running, lost over 40 lbs, and finished two half marathons in by Aug 2010, I would have laughed you clear out of my house.

Daisybelle
08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
22 minutes!!! That is amazing! Way to go! And in my old home town too. Very cool. How many people were there?

HockeyKat
08-05-2010, 06:16 PM
22 minutes!!! That is amazing! Way to go! And in my old home town too. Very cool. How many people were there?

Thanks!! I have been training all year, and this is my first year doing this, so they said to expect a couple of big jumps as I get more used to this running thing.

There were 25,000 registered, somewhere around 20,000 or so ran it, and 18, 600 finishers. It really didn't feel that crowded during, though, because they started us in waves between 6:30AM and about 7:15AM.

Desiree
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Morning everyone!

Hope you all had a great weekend! It was busy busy busy here!

I do have a question for yall. I shuffle my feet when I walk. Well, yesterday when I was taking the garbage out I managed to twist or sprain my big toe. I didn't think too much of it yesterday but it was uncomfortable. Today I got up and did w2d1. Ironically enough, it didnt really hurt when jogging only when walking. As the day wears on though, I've noticed it seems to be hurting a little bit more. Also, when I took my socks off before my shower this morning I did notice a bruise on top of my foot near the intersection of my foot/big toe. It's about the size of a half-dollar. Anyway, do you recommend ice for it? It's not swelling or anything but just uncomfortable when I walk mainly.

Daisybelle
08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Ouch! What a bummer. What I've read is that you should ice it for 20 to 30 minutes for the first few days of a bruise or fracture to the toe. And a pain releiver that can also reduce inflammation. And elevate if possible. I hope it heals up quickly!

MamaCrush
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
OK, ladies. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while now and it's time to step into the light! :cutie:

In June of this year, I made a commitment to get healthy by eating right and exercising. The Disney Hawloween 5K seemed like the perfect motivator-- after all, nothing motivates me like a trip to Disney! So I'm 4 weeks in to C25K and I'm making steady progress. I started out at 257lbs, and am now at 239. I walk/run 3x week and do the elliptical 2x a week to burn extra calories and hopefully improve my stamina.

But just to prove I'm crazier than most, I've just made a DVC reservation for the Princess Half! I figure I'll definitely be able to do the 5k come February 27th, but I'm going to train for the Half. And when a MK View studio at Bay Lake was open 6 months out-- well, that clinched it! It was a sign from above as far as I'm concerned! (Hopefully DH will see it the same way!)

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to join in here for motivation and support. You've already helped so much without even "knowing" me!

Daisybelle
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
OK, ladies. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while now and it's time to step into the light! :cutie:

In June of this year, I made a commitment to get healthy by eating right and exercising. The Disney Hawloween 5K seemed like the perfect motivator-- after all, nothing motivates me like a trip to Disney! So I'm 4 weeks in to C25K and I'm making steady progress. I started out at 257lbs, and am now at 239. I walk/run 3x week and do the elliptical 2x a week to burn extra calories and hopefully improve my stamina.

But just to prove I'm crazier than most, I've just made a DVC reservation for the Princess Half! I figure I'll definitely be able to do the 5k come February 27th, but I'm going to train for the Half. And when a MK View studio at Bay Lake was open 6 months out-- well, that clinched it! It was a sign from above as far as I'm concerned! (Hopefully DH will see it the same way!)

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to join in here for motivation and support. You've already helped so much without even "knowing" me!

How cool! I didn't know they had a 5k at Halloween time! You'll have to take pictures to share with us.
It sounds like you are doing amazing on exercise and losing weight. It's nice to finally get 'in the zone' and stick with it, isn't it?
I'm planning on doing the Princess Half in 2012 with a friend. I need to save for a bit to do that one! I will have to live vicariously though those of you going next year to tide me over. :goodvibes
And yay for another 'big girl' joining in! :cheer2:

MamaCrush
08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Daisybelle! I only hope I can do as well as you obviously are! 3 5k's... How awesome is that! There are some days (maybe most?) where I can't even imagine doing the 16 min mile minimum pace. But instead of getting down on myself, I just try to focus on where I was when I started this journey-- and I know progress is being made!

And you're right. It feels fantastic to finally be in the zone. Even though I have so much weight to lose before I get to my goal, I feel fantastic with just the 18 lbs lost so far.

Here's some pixie dust to all of us Big Girls who have Big Goals! pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Desiree
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Welcome to the gang! I'm glad you finally came out of lurkdom! And congrats on the 18 so far! That's fantastic!!!

One of my ultimate goals is to also do some of the disney races. Just got to figure out where to start and then of course, the money issue! lol And you are just about 2 weeks ahead of me on C25K. Although I've been repeating weeks just to make sure I can handle the changeover.

Daisybelle
08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not to 16 min miles yet either. My quickest time so far has been 17:10 per mile, which I was able to sustain for 3 miles. Just not during the 5k last week! I started working on a run/walk combo but stopped that when I had a sciatic nerve issue a couple of weeks ago. I need to start working on that again!

I like that: Big Girls with Big Goals :goodvibes

Daisybelle
08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok, where's our big gals? How has walking and/or running been going this week?
I've done a few shorter walks the past couple of days because of being so busy. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can A) Have some fun with my daughter and B) get a couple of big walks in.

Anyone else out there have anything to share?? popcorn::

solar
08-13-2010, 02:02 PM
my tailbone issues (fall in Jan) have been flaring up, so i slowed down quite a bit through summer...I'm back at it while seeing a chiropractor - apparently it's my SI joints giving me trouble

I have a half in oct (disney/wine and dine) and one in november more locally - i plan on doing both still

You don't have to be fast, you just have to go!

Desiree
08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Ok, where's our big gals? How has walking and/or running been going this week?
I've done a few shorter walks the past couple of days because of being so busy. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can A) Have some fun with my daughter and B) get a couple of big walks in.

Anyone else out there have anything to share?? popcorn::

It's been a real busy week here too. I've still been doing my c25k but nothing in between :eek: I need to seriously get back on the exercise wagon again! But next week should be easier too now that the first week of dd's school is behind us and out of town visitors will be leaving Sunday!

MamaCrush
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Kind of the same ole thing for me this week-- which is a good thing! I'm continuing the C25K and doing the elliptical in between. I like being in the grove, even thought it might be boring!

I did weigh in this past Wednesday and I was down 6 pounds! :woohoo: But that's because I had only lost .6 the week before for no reason, so I think the 6 this week was just my body playing catch-up.

Hope all of us have an running-filled weekend!

choirchic
08-16-2010, 07:03 AM
I've actually slowed down on my training quite a bit...beside the heat getting to me, I'm getting bored with distance running. Even with my size I was always a a sprinter so I need to find ways to make distance running less boring for myself. It always feels so good afterward though...:worship:

Any ideas ladies?

adtillma1
08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
I've actually slowed down on my training quite a bit...beside the heat getting to me, I'm getting bored with distance running. Even with my size I was always a a sprinter so I need to find ways to make distance running less boring for myself. It always feels so good afterward though...:worship:

Any ideas ladies?

Are you doing the same route or changing it up? I get bored if I run the same route time after time, so I have to change my route up every once in a while.

solar
08-16-2010, 09:15 AM
sometimes instead of listening to music, i listen to podcasts to pass the time. I had to do a long run last night and listened to a running podcast I like called "Two Gomers Run a Marathon"....kept my interest, helped me through - you could also use something like the DisBoards own pocast, or any other topic you enjoy

Desiree
08-16-2010, 09:28 AM

Any ideas ladies?

Yea, I was thinking too that maybe you should change your route up. Maybe find a new place with pretty scenery to try! And having something new and different to listen to would be another great idea! Good luck!

Daisybelle
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
I agree on podcasts! I enjoy listening to those more than music some days because it keeps my brain more entertained on longer sessions. I also try to go to one new route a week for my long walk so I have new scenery to look at. I also do one alternate form of exercise a week like swimming or a DVD. Its fun to change it up a bit!

Spottedprincess
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Just reporting an update on my training for the Princess half in 2012. Did nearly 3 miles with a 16.47 pace. I am happy I was able to increase from 2 miles last week. My knee and calves seem to be doing ok. I am finally seeing my muscle tone come back since my 2nd knee surgery. Muscle memory is a great thing. I am really working on being positive about my sloooow progress. I am planning on doing my first 5k in September. My goal is to avg a 16 min mile pace. I love that so many big girls are out there striding with pride.

solar
09-12-2010, 10:15 AM
how is everyone doing?

I'm checking in....I've slacked with some of my training this summer and am picking up again. I've been traveling tons and I come home and push off regular routine.

On that note, I have a half in Oct (Wine/Dine) and one in November more locally.

choirchic
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm easing off of the running...I'm finding it boring without someone to do it with. However, that's not gong to stop me from trying to be fit. I will continue walking, and have also started going back to the gym.

DH lost 100lbs :worship: and was my running partner, but he has developed tendonitis and has had to stop running for a little while. We will both try training again as we lose more weight! :banana:

I'm still trying my hardest to hit the 50lb loss mark before Disney...I've been doing well with Weight Watchers, but havenow started to ease off of my carbs!

Wish me luck girls...keep up the good work everyone! :cheer2:

Daisybelle
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I haven't checked the Dis in a few weeks! That's odd!

I had a minor set back in August with a sciatic nerve flare up. Several massages and a couple of visits to the chiro later, I am doing much better. I kept walking during that time but stopped trying to jog. I lost a little speed too, from being so sore for a few weeks there. I think I'll try the running once I've lost a little more weight. I am down 39 pounds though! :cheer2: That's since April. I have another 5k on the 26th so I'm trying to work on my speed leading up to that. I know I should be ok with finishing last EVERY TIME but I would love to just be 2nd to last or 3rd to last for once. :goodvibes

It's nice to read that others are still working towards their goals!

Sheria21
09-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Ladies...

I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon. I am now finally to the point I can actually do it! I have been somewhat of a runner, but that has decreased from 3 days a week, to 2 days a week, to maybe once a week (you get the picture).

I recently joined a running group in May and since than I have reached up to 11.3 miles. Yeah, I am so excited I have actually gotten to this point. I really believe the running group is what keeps me going because I get to chatting when I am running and time goes by so fast that way.

But the reason I am posting is just to share with you my training method. It is the Jeff Galloway method which is a run/walk method. I highly recommend it once you get past the idea that you are "walking" during your "run". But I don't think I could have gone as far as I have without it. There is a Jeff Galloway website but I also recommend a Podcast called Motion Traxx (it is free) episodes 04/07/10 and 06/24/2010 are great starter episodes. The main theory behind the method is "injury free" and to "enjoy" the run.

While I was searching around tonight I see that Jeff Galloway is an Offical RunDisney consultant :) But that probably means you aready knew that.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/run-disney-training-consultant/

What is so ironic is that I return from my Disney Cruise on 11/4 and my first 1/2 is 11/7... hence the reason I am on the boards to check to see if the 5ks are still offered on CC so I can get some training in before the big day.

Good Luck Ladies!!:hyper2:

MamaCrush
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
how is everyone doing?

I'm checking in....I've slacked with some of my training this summer and am picking up again. I've been traveling tons and I come home and push off regular routine.

On that note, I have a half in Oct (Wine/Dine) and one in November more locally.

Deb-- I just want to say how thoroughly I enjoy reading your blog! It's very inspirational for me. I especially could relate to the entry where you mention the change in your identity to "runner". I SO can relate to everything you put their. This time losing the weight/getting healthy feels like a real change for me, and I know it's because of starting the process by beginning to run. Running is always something I thought "real athletes" did, not big, out of shape me! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us!

HockeyKat
09-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Ladies...

I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon. I am now finally to the point I can actually do it! I have been somewhat of a runner, but that has decreased from 3 days a week, to 2 days a week, to maybe once a week (you get the picture).

I recently joined a running group in May and since than I have reached up to 11.3 miles. Yeah, I am so excited I have actually gotten to this point. I really believe the running group is what keeps me going because I get to chatting when I am running and time goes by so fast that way.

But the reason I am posting is just to share with you my training method. It is the Jeff Galloway method which is a run/walk method. I highly recommend it once you get past the idea that you are "walking" during your "run". But I don't think I could have gone as far as I have without it. There is a Jeff Galloway website but I also recommend a Podcast called Motion Traxx (it is free) episodes 04/07/10 and 06/24/2010 are great starter episodes. The main theory behind the method is "injury free" and to "enjoy" the run.

While I was searching around tonight I see that Jeff Galloway is an Offical RunDisney consultant :) But that probably means you aready knew that.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/run-disney-training-consultant/

What is so ironic is that I return from my Disney Cruise on 11/4 and my first 1/2 is 11/7... hence the reason I am on the boards to check to see if the 5ks are still offered on CC so I can get some training in before the big day.

Good Luck Ladies!!:hyper2:

I am part of a Galloway training group as well, and I can't recommend it enough.

C25K didn't work for me, but Galloway has gotten me through two 1/2 marathons this year.

MamaCrush
09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I am part of a Galloway training group as well, and I can't recommend it enough.

C25K didn't work for me, but Galloway has gotten me through two 1/2 marathons this year.

HockeyKat-- What intervals do you use? This is my last C25K week and I'm thinking I'll switch to Galloway to train for the Princess. I've been experimenting with a few different run/walk intervals as he suggests, but I haven't found one that clicks for me just yet. I'm really slow-- right at a 15:00 pace which at least should keep me safe for the Disney sweepers!

Anyone else want to share what intervals they're using??

Daisybelle
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
For those of you who like the Jeff Galloway method, can you explain what the 'shuffle' is to me? I picked up a book of his over the weekend to get some tips on how to improve my walking speed and he kept mentioning the shuffle but the desciption didn't really make sense to me.

And Sheria! Thanks for the tip on the podcast. I'll have to check it out! :thumbsup2

HockeyKat
09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
HockeyKat-- What intervals do you use? This is my last C25K week and I'm thinking I'll switch to Galloway to train for the Princess. I've been experimenting with a few different run/walk intervals as he suggests, but I haven't found one that clicks for me just yet. I'm really slow-- right at a 15:00 pace which at least should keep me safe for the Disney sweepers!

I started with a run 1, walk 5 (1:5) interval and worked my way up. I usually either do 1:1 or 2:1, depending on whether I go with the 13 or 12 min pace groups for my long run with them on Saturdays.

For short runs, I play around. Sometimes I do as much as 5:1 but I usually stay around 3:1 and try to increase run speed.

Shuffle... running but with feet really close to the ground is the best description I can come up with. I actually went to Jeff Galloway's presentation when he was here in Raleigh in May, and he demonstrated. :)

Daisybelle
09-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Shuffle... running but with feet really close to the ground is the best description I can come up with. I actually went to Jeff Galloway's presentation when he was here in Raleigh in May, and he demonstrated. :)

Ohhhhh. Yeah. I was doing it wrong then. :rotfl2: Thank you!

Sheria21
09-15-2010, 11:13 PM
The group I run with is 1:1 (one minute run then one minute walk) I started in the 1:1 group by the leader's recommendation. I felt it was too slow for me and I felt that I could do better. I then moved groups 2:1 and then I struggled during the runs and was breathing very hard. I have since moved back to the 1:1 group and I can say I really enjoy running w/ that group. Now when I am at home by myself I try different things like 2:1 or 3:1 because my distance isn't as far as it is with the group. But I do my best work at 1:1. At times I am embarrassed of the slow group. I really wish I was in a faster group on one hand, but then on the other I can say that no one I really know has done a 1/2 marathon so slow or not i am doing it. (thats what I have to keep telling myself :)

Sorry Long answer for just a simple question... Sheria

MamaCrush
09-16-2010, 08:05 AM
The group I run with is 1:1 (one minute run then one minute walk) I started in the 1:1 group by the leader's recommendation. I felt it was too slow for me and I felt that I could do better. I then moved groups 2:1 and then I struggled during the runs and was breathing very hard. I have since moved back to the 1:1 group and I can say I really enjoy running w/ that group. Now when I am at home by myself I try different things like 2:1 or 3:1 because my distance isn't as far as it is with the group. But I do my best work at 1:1. At times I am embarrassed of the slow group. I really wish I was in a faster group on one hand, but then on the other I can say that no one I really know has done a 1/2 marathon so slow or not i am doing it. (thats what I have to keep telling myself :)

Sorry Long answer for just a simple question... Sheria

Don't apologize! Loved your answer since I'm feeling much of the same thing. Especially since I'm still at the 5K level! I find that I really need to keep reminding myself of why I got into this in the first place-- to lose weight and become fit. I can do that with a slowish 1:1 interval. It's my ego and competitive nature that thinks that I should be doing faster, longer, etc.

Since I've been running, I've been keeping a journal, and I just recently wrote down these points: I'm doing my first 5K two months shy of being 51 years old; I started this three months almost 100 lbs overweight and I've already lost 40 lbs; I had two knee surgeries as a teenager and was told I should never run. Then, I wrote: in two weeks I'm running my first 5K at Disney World!!

Now THAT'S a long answer!! ;)

MamaCrush
09-16-2010, 08:12 AM

Hmmm.... that's what I call running! :lmao:

Daisybelle
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't apologize! Loved your answer since I'm feeling much of the same thing. Especially since I'm still at the 5K level! I find that I really need to keep reminding myself of why I got into this in the first place-- to lose weight and become fit. I can do that with a slowish 1:1 interval. It's my ego and competitive nature that thinks that I should be doing faster, longer, etc.

Since I've been running, I've been keeping a journal, and I just recently wrote down these points: I'm doing my first 5K two months shy of being 51 years old; I started this three months almost 100 lbs overweight and I've already lost 40 lbs; I had two knee surgeries as a teenager and was told I should never run. Then, I wrote: in two weeks I'm running my first 5K at Disney World!!

Now THAT'S a long answer!! ;)

First off, GO MAMA CRUSH! :cheer2: You have done an amazing job. When is your 5k?
Secondly, Journaling. I think I want to start keep an exercise journal but I'm getting to hung up on the particualrs. Do you just use a notebook or did you get a fancy schmancy one that's an acutal Runner's journal? Care to share?

MamaCrush
09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
First off, GO MAMA CRUSH! :cheer2: You have done an amazing job. When is your 5k?
Secondly, Journaling. I think I want to start keep an exercise journal but I'm getting to hung up on the particualrs. Do you just use a notebook or did you get a fancy schmancy one that's an acutal Runner's journal? Care to share?

Sure, I'll share! I had to :lmao: on the fancy schmancy reference. One reason I never journaled before is that I always got hung up on what I should use to do it in! It had to be "just right", whatever that is!

I found a 7"x9"is spiral bound notebook at Target that was divided into three sections. It also has a couple of pockets in it. In the pockets, I keep nutrional info for various fast food restaurants I frequent so I can always plan the best meal for my daily calorie goals. In the first section, I put general "stuff", like inspirational quotes, my cholesteral numbers from when I started and then the 3-month re-test, breakfast or other meal ideas, notes on the Heart Rate ranges I want to target and why, location of running trails/tracks in my area, that sort of thing. In the second section, I log what I eat each day, daily exercise details, glasses of water drunk, and my weight/weight loss totals once a week. (I actually made up a quick form in Word that would fit the pages, and I glue stick them in the book. Yes, I'm definitely anal retentive...) The third section is my journal about struggles, triumphs, thoughts, etc. In the beginning I journaled each day because I needed the focus. At this point though, I journal about twice a week. And, just to make it fun, I have a set of different color pens that I use when I write in it. Told you I was anal retentive and hung up on fancy schmancy! ;)

I highly recommend journaling if it's something you're drawn to. It's cool to look back and see where I came from. And it makes me accountable to myself, if you know what I mean. And according to my doctor, studies have shown that people who keep a food and/or exercise journal are more likely to stick with their goals and maintain their progress. I can honestly say that I am as equally motivated-- if not more so-- now to continue with my good habits than I was on June 21st when I first began them!

My 5K is Oct 2nd-- it's Mickey's Halloween 5K during the Food & Wine Half Marathon weekend. I thought it would be fun (and motivational) to have my first race through the Magic Kingdom!

Daisybelle
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh how cool!! You'll have to give us a report on how it goes!! I know I would LOVE to read it.

On journaling, I keep a food journal that I write in daily. I really wish I had kept an exercise journal all this time too! Although in the food journal there's a spot for me to record how long I exercise and I usually note what I did so I guess I have some record. Hmm..it's my lunch break, I think I'll had to the store and pick up a notebook! :thumbsup2

wvjules
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
What pace are any of you doing for your run/walk intervals?

I'm doing 1:1 right now with a high 11mpm run and a mid 17mpm walk. My Nike+ gives me an average of 14:30ish mpm. I need to speed them both up. So, what is your pace for each? And if you have different paces for different intervals, please share them as well.

(I've asked this on several threads and NO ONE has answered me.) Thanks.

HockeyKat
09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
What pace are any of you doing for your run/walk intervals?

I'm doing 1:1 right now with a high 11mpm run and a mid 17mpm walk. My Nike+ gives me an average of 14:30ish mpm. I need to speed them both up. So, what is your pace for each? And if you have different paces for different intervals, please share them as well.

(I've asked this on several threads and NO ONE has answered me.) Thanks.

I am working back into training after a 1/2 and some down time/injury, and am also at 1:1s. I don't know the mpm for the run vs walk, but for a short run right now I am averaging about 13mpm, with a run at a speed of 5.2-5.5, and walk at 4.1-4.3. I throw in some 2:1 intervals as I am trying to get back there.

My goal is to get back to where I was before the half (Aug 1), with a 2:1 or 3:1 and a running speed of more like 5.8 and walking of 4.2.

To get my speed up, I try to up it a little bit each time I do a short run, or try to do some of the intervals faster than others.

My long runs are done with a Galloway training group, so the pace group leader sets the pace for us. They do a 2mpm slower than target race pace for a training run. I generally go with either the 12mpm group (2:1s and a long run pace around 14mpm), or the 13mpm group (3:1s and a long run pace around 15mpm).

Hope that helps!

MamaCrush
09-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, if you noticed my post above, you can see that I'm overall I'm doing well with my overall program. However, my running is sucking wind lately... and I have my Mickey 5K in 13 days.

My last 3 runs have been really poor... getting picked up by the sweepers kind of poor. I had be doing a consistent 15 min pace, but I have obviously regressed, and it's really working on me mentally and emotionally. I do all the positive self-talk I can, remind myself that finishing = winning, etc. But I'm still getting discouraged and I'm really afraid for what I'll experience during the 5K. I'm just not sure what I need to do-- if I should tweak my training, or what.

I guess I'm wondering about your all's experience. I started this June 21st weighing 257 lbs, not ever having done any kind of sustained exercise or aerobic plan in my 50 years of life. I've gotten to Week 9 of C25K and have lost 40 lbs so far, so I know this in and of itself is huge. But are my expectations too high for this 5K? Is finishing the race slightly below a 16 min mile unreasonable??

Lilmattie13
09-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, if you noticed my post above, you can see that I'm overall I'm doing well with my overall program. However, my running is sucking wind lately... and I have my Mickey 5K in 13 days.

My last 3 runs have been really poor... getting picked up by the sweepers kind of poor. I had be doing a consistent 15 min pace, but I have obviously regressed, and it's really working on me mentally and emotionally. I do all the positive self-talk I can, remind myself that finishing = winning, etc. But I'm still getting discouraged and I'm really afraid for what I'll experience during the 5K. I'm just not sure what I need to do-- if I should tweak my training, or what.

I guess I'm wondering about your all's experience. I started this June 21st weighing 257 lbs, not ever having done any kind of sustained exercise or aerobic plan in my 50 years of life. I've gotten to Week 9 of C25K and have lost 40 lbs so far, so I know this in and of itself is huge. But are my expectations too high for this 5K? Is finishing the race slightly below a 16 min mile unreasonable??

First let me tell you, your doing a great job! :thumbsup2

I started the c25k but was unable to continue running due to knee injury. I am doing the mickey 5k with my husband and am not panicking about it at all. Let me tell you why. IF you look at the 16 min mile requirement that is only as fast as a very fast walk. I dont know if you train on a treadmill or not but if you do, a 16 min mile is like a very brisk walk.
With that being said, I know I wont be able to win this race running it however I do know that I will be able to finish well below the 16 min req mostly walking the race with the occasional jogs here in there in between.

I think too what happens is at a race you get pumped up and actually find yourself jogging more of it than you may usually do at home on the treadmill. I think just the excitement gets you pumped up and you just go. I have always done faster times at a race then when I train on the treadmill at home.:thumbsup2

So that's why I think you are going to do great. Just the fact you are on week 9 and able to have the stamina to jog for a longer period of time will surely get you to finish the race and finish it with a time you are going to be totally satisfied with. :cool1:

Daisybelle
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
If this has been addressed in here already, I apologize in advance!

My question is how do you track your speed/pace, distance, heart rate etc?

I really want to get something that will show me where I'm at on the above areas; such as a Polar watch, or a Garmin. My friend has an IPhone that tracks all of that (except heart rate I think) which is really slick. I believe the IPod Touch will do all that too.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? :surfweb:

MamaCrush
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks, Lilmattie13, for the encourgement! Last night's run was marginally better. The hardest thing for me to do seems to be giving myself credit for how far I've come as opposed to how much further I have to go! But I'm trying...

Basically, I am not going to measure my pace between now and the 5K. I'm just going to obsess over every second and get all worked up. So I'm just going to train the best I can and let the chips fall where they may come race time. If figure if I do get picked up by the sweepers (my worst case scenario), at least I'll be at Disney and will have had a good workout! :rolleyes:

MamaCrush
09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
If this has been addressed in here already, I apologize in advance!

My question is how do you track your speed/pace, distance, heart rate etc?

I really want to get something that will show me where I'm at on the above areas; such as a Polar watch, or a Garmin. My friend has an IPhone that tracks all of that (except heart rate I think) which is really slick. I believe the IPod Touch will do all that too.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? :surfweb:

I've been struggling with all the above myself. I have an itouch, but it can't measure speed/pace or distance because it requires GPS to do so, and unless you're running in a wifi hotspot, it can't do it. But there is an app that measures heart rate, believe it or not! I have also found an app I really like that will use your own playlist as it gives you prompts for interval training.

I have borrowed a friend's Garmin 205 and it is pretty snazzy. I'm just not crazy about how it feels on my wrist. It isn't the size so much that bothers me (in fact, I like the size since it's easier for me to read the numbers), I just don't like wearing anything on my wrist when I run because to me it feels gross when I sweat. It does however track everything-- including heart rate if you use the accompanying chest band.

I have also used the Omron HJA-301 Pace and Distance Tracker (I bought mine from amazon). So far I like this the best for convenience, but it does not measure heart rate and it depends on accurately setting up your stride length to measure pace/distance accurately.

Hope this mishmash of info helps, and I'm certainly interested to see what others have to say!

Daisybelle
09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I've been struggling with all the above myself. I have an itouch, but it can't measure speed/pace or distance because it requires GPS to do so, and unless you're running in a wifi hotspot, it can't do it. But there is an app that measures heart rate, believe it or not! I have also found an app I really like that will use your own playlist as it gives you prompts for interval training.

I have borrowed a friend's Garmin 205 and it is pretty snazzy. I'm just not crazy about how it feels on my wrist. It isn't the size so much that bothers me (in fact, I like the size since it's easier for me to read the numbers), I just don't like wearing anything on my wrist when I run because to me it feels gross when I sweat. It does however track everything-- including heart rate if you use the accompanying chest band.

I have also used the Omron HJA-301 Pace and Distance Tracker (I bought mine from amazon). So far I like this the best for convenience, but it does not measure heart rate and it depends on accurately setting up your stride length to measure pace/distance accurately.

Hope this mishmash of info helps, and I'm certainly interested to see what others have to say!

Well bugger. I didn't realize that the Touch didn't have the ability to track like the IPhone can. I was looking at the Garmin 205 after I first read your reply. That might be kind of nice. I'll have to find a place that sells them so I can look at the options before I decide. Well, that, and find some money to pay for it! :lmao:

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

Daisybelle
09-26-2010, 01:49 AM
So...tomorrow (Sunday) is 5k number 4. I know the routine. I'm used to the pre-race jitters leading up to the event. But this one has me totally tied in knots. My employer is one of the sponsors of this one and there will be around 75 people there that I'll know. I don't like that. I know perfectly well that my head is in the wrong place on this one. I shouldn't care that I will likely be last. AGAIN. But last in front of a bunch of people I know is giving me major high school flash backs. I don't want to be last! Sigh...

Bad Daisy, bad! :sad2:

But I shall go. And I shall do my very best. And I will improve on my time from my last 5k in August. And I will celebrate once it is over and enjoy a celebratory breakfast with my good friend.

Ok. Done now. ;)

MamaCrush
09-26-2010, 10:11 PM
So...tomorrow (Sunday) is 5k number 4. I know the routine. I'm used to the pre-race jitters leading up to the event. But this one has me totally tied in knots. My employer is one of the sponsors of this one and there will be around 75 people there that I'll know. I don't like that. I know perfectly well that my head is in the wrong place on this one. I shouldn't care that I will likely be last. AGAIN. But last in front of a bunch of people I know is giving me major high school flash backs. I don't want to be last! Sigh...

Bad Daisy, bad! :sad2:

But I shall go. And I shall do my very best. And I will improve on my time from my last 5k in August. And I will celebrate once it is over and enjoy a celebratory breakfast with my good friend.

Ok. Done now. ;)

So, Daisybelle, how did the 5K go???? Do tell!

Daisybelle
09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
My 4th 5k was yesterday and it was FABULOUS! :cool1: I had such a good time on this one. My sistah from another mistah did the event with me and it was so nice having someone to do it with who was as focused on it as I was. I'm not one for visiting a whole bunch during an actual event. Any other time, no problem! And she gets that. We both had our music and just went for it. She's a bit faster than me so that really helped me push myself more than I normally would. I finished in 48 minutes and I was so thrilled! I shuffle/jogged every 2 or 3 minutes and it really made a difference. My legs didn't fatigue at all.

And! I wasn't last. Not even close.

The whole event gave me a fantastic boost and I'm ready to sign up for events 5 and 6 now. :cheer2:

MamaCrush
09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
My 4th 5k was yesterday and it was FABULOUS! :cool1: I had such a good time on this one. My sistah from another mistah did the event with me and it was so nice having someone to do it with who was as focused on it as I was. I'm not one for visiting a whole bunch during an actual event. Any other time, no problem! And she gets that. We both had our music and just went for it. She's a bit faster than me so that really helped me push myself more than I normally would. I finished in 48 minutes and I was so thrilled! I shuffle/jogged every 2 or 3 minutes and it really made a difference. My legs didn't fatigue at all.

And! I wasn't last. Not even close.

The whole event gave me a fantastic boost and I'm ready to sign up for events 5 and 6 now. :cheer2:

Congrats! I am so glad it went so well! :yay:

Daisybelle
10-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Hello there! How is everyone doing on their walking/running programs?
I have 5k number 5 tomorrow. It's the first one where I'm not obsessing about how I'll do. That either means I'm gaining a little confidence or I'm in for a world of hurt tomorrow. :rotfl:

Desiree
12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm digging this post up from the grave (It's alive..... alive!!!!) ;)

Just wondering if anyone was still around and blogging? I've started a new one about a month ago and re-doing and re-committing to a healty lifestyle. Things have been going pretty good so far. I'm up to Week 4 Day 2 of C25k (again..) and have lost about 11 pounds since re-starting and 15 from my all time high.

Anyway, the new blog is located at http://thereandbackagainandthensome.blogspot.com/

and I'd love to see if any of you still have your blogs going or if anyone has any new ones. I'm always having problems finding blogs similar to "me". And trust me, seeing those who have already gotten where I want to be is inspirational but sometimes a girl just wants to know she is not alone!

Desiree
12-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Anyone still around??? :(

MamaCrush
12-19-2012, 07:34 AM
I am!! I've enjoyed checking out your blog. Great job! I'm actually in the process of planning/launching my own blog, target date Jan 1. It's going to be focused on training for the Exepedition Everest Challenge as motivation to lose weight. Once it's launched, I'll let you know!

Desiree
12-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I am!! I've enjoyed checking out your blog. Great job! I'm actually in the process of planning/launching my own blog, target date Jan 1. It's going to be focused on training for the Exepedition Everest Challenge as motivation to lose weight. Once it's launched, I'll let you know!

Ooh! Please do! I can't wait to check it out! I'd LOVE to train for EE Challenge! I just don't know if we will have the funds for the early part of next year. But maybe DH and I can work something out financially during the fall! Can't wait to hear all about your training! What are your plans?