PDA

View Full Version : Who watched the Original World of Disney on TV???

Tink rules
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I did!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Sunday nights 7 pm... God forbid you put on anything else on our TV at that time...

And it was great to see Walt do the intros and such... We saw so much back then and it was so varied - I feel bad for kids who know the characters but really haven't had too much exposure to the beginnings and the old animation...

ocalla
03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
I really miss watching that!!

For a while not long ago, Saturday nights on ABC there were Disney Movies, but I don't think they play anymore.

southernbelle20
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I did!!!!! I miss it!

Tink rules
03-15-2010, 08:09 PM
It's the opening from that show is why I love Tink... the show couldn't start until Tinkerbell started the fireworks... :goodvibes

llaxton
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Me me me!

themilesfamily
03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Was it the "World of Disney" and then "Little House on the Prairie?"

Actually, "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," "World of Disney," and then "Little House." And then bedtime.

I think that was the Sunday night lineup.

Gosh, it's like I'm seven years old, sitting in my parents' living room again. :) Happy memories.

Tink rules
03-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Basement... couches covered in Naugahyde... :lmao:

iwrbnd
03-16-2010, 12:38 AM
When did it go off the air? I think I faintly remember it!

Tink rules
03-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Back in the 70's...

Then it came back sort of with a newer version hosted by Michael Eisner. But it was different. It was usually movies and that's all...

The original had the animation and sometimes movies and series.

erynsmom
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM

Actually, "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," "World of Disney," and then "Little House." And then bedtime.

Gosh, it's like I'm seven years old, sitting in my parents' living room again. :) Happy memories.

OMG. That was my Sunday night too. I always looked forward to them. Wow, that brings back memories.

lodgelady
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM

YES! We were allowed to eat grilled cheese sandwiches and soup in the den for supper on trays (a very big deal!) Warm and happy memories! :love:

Tink rules
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

sjs314
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
WOW Those were some good days, wouldn't it be great if they put those out on DVD to buy :idea:

Tink rules
03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I think they are missing out on a whole demographic... US!!! :banana: Don't we buy DVD's too?

RyeCrimsonMoon
03-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I use to watch it when I was a kid on the Disney Channel, after like midnight they would play them.:cool1:

jlearn
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Oh Wow!!! The memories are flooding back! I remember watching Wild Kingdom and then Disney. I was not a little house fan so I usually went to bed right after Disney. I wish they still had some good programming on like that for my kids to watch!

Diznotyzed
03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
<---- Check out my tag! Although I must be older than most of you because the line up I remember was M of O Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Color, and then Bonanza. The Wonderful World of Color was extra special because we usually only got dessert on Sunday nights while it was on. (Hmmm, ice cream "soup")

sdemore
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
PP we must be close in age because my happy Sunday night line up was M of O Wild Kingdom, Wonderful World of Disney and Bonanza (the episodes with Pernell Roberts as Adam:lmao:)

I loved Walt's intros. and never minded the history lessons that often went with the programs. Zorro and The Scarecrow of Romney (Sp.?) Marsh were my favorites!

DebšošS
03-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow, brings back happy memories! I loved them all! Every week we were entertained and educated. I wish they'd put those on DVD.

Poohbear5
03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
We were only allowed to watch Sunday night Disney if the Bruins were not playing!

themilesfamily
03-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Remember the movie, "Child of Glass?" (This would be 1978.)

A boy moves into a creepy mansion and meets the ghost of a little girl.

"Sleeping lies the murdered lass, vainly cries the child of glass. When the two shall be as one, the spirit's journey will be done."

That was my favorite Wonderful World of Disney episode! Or at least it's one that really sticks out in my mind.

Kumquatmelon
03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Sadly, I wasn't around for the World of Disney (I think I was born in the wrong decade) but, I have seen all the intros and whatnot (How I love the internet). I just wish I was born about 40 years before I was... But, I did happily get 90's Disney Channel with the Saturday morning classic cartoons and Goof Troop.

Tink rules
03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I saw the editions AFTER Walt Died,but they used to use the intros from him and it was really a good thing. This generation has a hard time realizing that Walt Disney was a real person.

pdchris
03-20-2010, 08:14 PM
<---- Check out my tag! Although I must be older than most of you because the line up I remember was M of O Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Color, and then Bonanza. The Wonderful World of Color was extra special because we usually only got dessert on Sunday nights while it was on. (Hmmm, ice cream "soup")

I remember those days. It was extra special for us because we didn't own a color TV. However, my father worked at a tV repair shop (yes, you youngsters, you actually had your tv REPAIRED rather than buy a new one) and once in a while he'd bring a color tv home (with his boss' permission 'natch).

raftislander
03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Yep! I was in Mutual of Omaha,WWoD, then Bonanza crowd. Raised on Walt's intros. When ever I go to the parks, I alwys try to find his voice somewhere to listen to- and to have my daughter listen,as well. Do any of you remember The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh serial with Patrick McGoohan? Boy,would I like to see that one again!

Tink rules
03-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I think they might be on some of the Treasures DVD's...

Experiment_626
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Do any of you remember The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh serial with Patrick McGoohan? Boy,would I like to see that one again!That's on one of the Treasures sets -- from 2008, I believe.

See a review of the DVD set here: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/drsyn.html

kali3
03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Love World of Disney when I was a kid. Waited all week for it on Sunday.

raftislander
03-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks Tink rules and Experiment 626! I will hunt for a copy of that Treasures release!

MickeyMirth
03-26-2010, 07:43 AM

I'm right there with you. My brother's 11 years older than me and my parents had to enforce an every other Sunday rule. My Disney coincided with his The Rebel, so we took turns. I probably pre-date all of you because I watched the original Mousekeeters. I had a crush on Spin and Marty and I wanted to grow up to be Annette. I remember how happy it made me to hear the
M-I-C-K-E-Y song and the closing words, "Why, because we like you!"
I really love this forum!

Merry Mousketeer
04-06-2010, 02:11 PM
This was one of the few shows my whole family gathered to watch. We watched it before and after Walt passed. I remember how excited I was to see the show when we got our first color television because it had been renamed to "The Wonderful World of Color". It was so amazing to us back then!

Then I think we would watch shows like "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "The FBI" and "The Ed Sullivan Show" after the Disney show was over.

Good times.

Uncleromulus
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I'll be "dating myself" here, but I remember watching the VERY first Walt Disney TV shows. I'll edit this by saying I don't really remember the very first show (which was about Disneyland) but I sure do recall the second show, which was Alice in Wonderland. After that I was glued to the TV to watch the Disney show for the many years that it ran. And always got excited when the show was about "Frontierland"!!
This was in 1954---how long ago was THAT???!!!

Miss Monorail 1971
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I remember watching Disney and then suffering through Bonanza. My parents would get out the popcorn pans for Bonanza so if I wanted popcorn I had to watch. Thoes were the days of good pan popped corn and only 1 tv per family.:)

Tower
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
That brings back wonderful childhood memories. Just hated that we had to watch the movies over a 2 week period.
Here in Canada now, many Disney classics are being played on Sunday evenings 5:00PM to 7:00PM on CBC. (then bedtime for my youngest pair, just like the old days)

Tink rules
04-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I think this generation is missing out on all the classic Disney stuff. They're going to grow up on the '00's version of Disney and remember HSM and Mylie Cyrus more than Walt Disney and the history of it all.

Uncleromulus
04-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Sadly, you are right--but I suppose the only consolation is that they will have no idea exactly WHAT they are missing. They won't know any better.

Just look at One Mans Dream in the Studios. One day we went in (and it's always a regular stop for us) and we were the ONLY TWO people in the theater for the movie.

Rose DiVerona
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm only eighteen, but I do remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney on ABC on Sunday evenings when I was a kid. I think they revived it in the '90s for a while.

I don't remember who did the introductions, but I do remember that they existed. We would watch movies like Annie, the live version of Pinocchio...Tinkerbell came across at the beginning, and there were fireworks...we did that every Sunday night. Highlight of my week--movie night with the family.

EllenFrasier
05-20-2010, 03:59 PM
I used to watch it, but I'll be dipped if I can remember what was on it! Was it like Daniel Boone or cartoons or what? All I know was, it was the highlight of TV viewing. We never sat on the furniture to watch either - always sitting or laying on the floor with pillows!:lovestruc

pdchris
05-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I used to watch it, but I'll be dipped if I can remember what was on it! Was it like Daniel Boone or cartoons or what? All I know was, it was the highlight of TV viewing. We never sat on the furniture to watch either - always sitting or laying on the floor with pillows!:lovestruc
IIRC, it was a mixture. Sometimes they'd have cartoons like D Duck or adventure like Daniel Boone or Swamp Fox.

vonpluto
05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
I'll be "dating myself" here, but I remember watching the VERY first Walt Disney TV shows. I'll edit this by saying I don't really remember the very first show (which was about Disneyland) but I sure do recall the second show, which was Alice in Wonderland. After that I was glued to the TV to watch the Disney show for the many years that it ran. And always got excited when the show was about "Frontierland"!!
This was in 1954---how long ago was THAT???!!!

Yeah, I go back that far too! (creak, creak).

I still get chills when I watch an old show and Tink appears,
and the announcer says: "Walt Disney's DISNEYLAND!":worship:

FWIW, here's a broadcast history of the Anthology Show:

Anthology Series
Series Name Air dates Network

Disneyland 10/54 - 9/58 ABC
Walt Disney Presents 9/58 - 9/61 ABC
Wonderful World of Color 9/61 - 9/69 NBC
Wonderful World of Disney 9/69 - 9/79 NBC
Disney's Wonderful World 9/79 - 9/81 NBC
Walt Disney 9/81 - 9/83 CBS
Disney Sunday Movie 2/86 - 9/88 ABC
Magical World of Disney 9/88 - 5/90 NBC
Magical World of Disney 9/90 - ? DC
Name ? 96? - ? ABC

disneymami
05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Saw this posting and it brought back so many wonderful memories of Sunday nights. I figured youtube probably has a video of the intro and I think I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UBhDxG3yc&NR=1

I had one of those deja vu moments. Its the guy's voice that says the wonderful world of disney that really brought it all home to me.

Tink rules
06-01-2010, 12:59 AM
:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes Chills!!! THAT is the reason I always loved Tinkerbell... SHE opened the Wonderful World of Disney!!! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Uncleromulus
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Vonpluto:
Thanks for the dates. If you don't have it, snag a copy of THE
WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY TELEVISION by Bill Cotter.
Short description in there of each and every episode of all the shows!

sljmbll
06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Uncleromulus - Thanks for the heads up on the Bill Cotter book.

Uncleromulus
06-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Certainly!
As I read it I could visualize all the actual shows that I watched in "real time".
Good stuff in there also about the Mousketeers and the early (when it was good) Disney Channel as well.

EJKorvette
06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
and was part of our regular Sunday viewing.

I remember that Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was on before it, and so was some show about how the future would be (this was back in the sixties) narrated by Walter Cronkite and sponsored by Dow (great advertising; I remember it forty-five years later!).

Then finally it would be time for The Wonderful World of Disney.

Right after, Branded (with Chuck Connors) came on and I had to go to bed.

Evan

hughbie
03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I always loved sunday nights watching World of Disney on TV. Fun stuff! I couldn't wait until sunday night. I remember watching Lawrence Welk with my Grandmama at 6:00 p.m. Then at 7:00 p.m. we would watch World of Disney. ahhhhh, memories...