PDA

View Full Version : remember when disney channel had

catycatcat4
03-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Old cartoons later at night i'm not sure what time i was like 5-6 when they had this

Tinkerbell.RN
03-15-2010, 12:33 AM
How about the old animal movies (left over from The Wonderful World of Disney)? Charlie the Coyote, and one about a raccoon, I think. By the time I was able to get Disney myself, their line up had really changed

PK Disney Dork
03-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Ah Vault Disney...how I miss that show.

I also remember when The Disney Channel first started out as a premium channel along the lines of HBO. I don't think I sound old fashioned when I say it was MUCH better than.

You have series such as Good Morning Mickey, Donald Duck Presents, Mousercize...the live action Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo's Circus...old school Mickey Mouse Club...those were the days...I miss all th actual DISNEY programming.

JoShan1719
03-15-2010, 01:10 AM
I remember the old Disney cartoons! I can't stand the cartoons nowadays. The Disney channel used to be great. I watch it now and it's ok, nothing like when I was a kid.

PK Disney Dork
03-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Really the only new cartoon Disney has put out that has anything going for it is Phineas and Ferb which is pretty brilliant.

dizneedoll
03-15-2010, 01:23 AM
I like Phineas and Ferb too. Lately Disney channel has been showing some old cartoons like Chip n' Dale in between shows but not a whole show of just the old cartoons but at least what they're doing is better then nothing.

trekkie2
03-15-2010, 01:30 AM
wow, forgot about how awesome it was, I used to do mousercize with my kids when they were little, we are now starting on a second generation of disney fans and my granddaughers would love the old world of disney movies and other fun shows, ok, i had forgotten all about them, NOW i miss it!!

charming23
03-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I miss the old Disney channel too. I used to love Dumbo's Circus, The Live action Winnie the Pooh, Gummi Bears, Gargoyles, Ducktales, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, etc..... I also used to love getting to watch Vault Disney when I was up late because I was sick. I wish they would go back to that stuff.

Although I do love Phineus and Ferb.

catycatcat4
03-15-2010, 01:35 AM
I just remembered house of mouse i was in like 3rd-5th grade when that was one.

Tink rules
03-15-2010, 01:35 AM
I miss Vault Disney - they showed all the old serials like Spin and Marty and Of course the Mouseketeer show... this generation doesn't even know about all of that.

JoShan1719
03-15-2010, 02:09 AM
I'm the outcast...I hate Phineas and Ferb with a passion.

Dumbo's Circus (I still remember the theme song for that one!), Gummi Bears, Winnie the Pooh with the people in costumes, those were the best shows. I wish Disney would start like a throwback channel or something. Like, "Disney before 1995" stuff. The original Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, all that stuff. ::sigh::

txaggie94gigem
03-15-2010, 02:42 AM
i remember all the anne of green gables shows...by the time disney was free they did not have these shows on anymore....

Disney Khi
03-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Such good memories! I now have the Good Morning, Mickey theme song in my head. :) My younger sister used to watch The New Mickey Mouse Club every afternoon. I still remember when they sang "Opposites Attract" by Paula Abdul and changed the part about stealing bed covers so it would be more kid-friendly. We thought it was so funny! And when we went on vacation to WDW we saw the show set at MGM on the backlot tour (when the tour was still cool).

thelittlemermaid83
03-15-2010, 06:16 AM
I miss Gummi Bears and Dark wing duck! I wish they would start showing them again.

Be cool if Disney had a channel dedicated too all the old cartoon classics.

Phineas & Ferb is the only recent Disney cartoon that I can watch.

Experiment_626
03-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Be cool if Disney had a channel dedicated too all the old cartoon classics.When they took Vault Disney off, I hoped it was because they were going to start a Vault Disney channel -- something like a Disney version of TV Land. Alas ...

JDUCKY
03-15-2010, 06:54 AM
I REALLY wish Disney would create a Disney Classics Channel and show nothing but the old shows, cartoons, and movies (even stuff like the Apple Dumpling Gang and That Darn Cat and stuff)

Suite Life of Zack and Cody? I'd rather ride Stitch at the MK

Cynthiagayle01
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
I REALLY wish Disney would create a Disney Classics Channel and show nothing but the old shows, cartoons, and movies (even stuff like the Apple Dumpling Gang and That Darn Cat and stuff)

:thumbsup2 I miss the Mickey Mouse club and Mousercise!!! Loved Mousercise! Suite life of zack and cody.:sick: (hannah montana is a laugh sometimes though!)

Some of the new movies though are ok. I enjoyed Superstar recently.:thumbsup2

jimmytammy
03-15-2010, 07:23 AM
I remember seeing the Wonderful World of Color on Sun. nights when I was a kid, and seeing those same shows again on Vault Disney and sharing the moments with my kids was great. DD and I would watch whatever was on early morns. while geting ready for school and work. Especially liked it when Davy Crockett or Zorro came on. Walt really shown through those shows.

I honestly think Disney took those shows away in hopes they would make $$ selling them in the limtd. box sets that come out just before Christmas. If so, it worked cause they got me to buy em all!

jimmytammy
03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
To the mods, thanks for starting this forum. Maybe if enough of the Disney higher ups see it(and I know they watch)they will see the need to put some of their vault stuff back on.

lilacgems23
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
the disney channel imo is rubbish we never watch it, playhouse disney on the other hand is always on in our house :lmao:infact got dd here now watching little einsteins

rotlex
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I miss a lot of the old stuff, and some of it, not so old. My most recent favorite missing show is Kim Possible! Anyone know what it's just not on anymore? Don't get me started on Rollie Pollie Ollie, The Wiggles and a host of other "recent" oldies.

I do like some of the new stuff, Wizards, Phineas and Pherb, but for the most part, it's just not the same anymore. Even my daughter, 7, it's missing some of the shows from just a few years ago.

emmabemmainc
03-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Atleast one of the old shorts shows was called Donald's Quack Attack or something similar. I loved it!

I also miss the old Disney Channel--all of the shows on there now are all the same (atleast after 3). I should know, I have an 8 year old. ;)

southernbelle20
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM

I agree! There has been numerous threads of people wanting a "classic" Disney channel. The old stuff, movies, and cartoons. Loved watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" as a kid. Our library had "Yellowstone Cubs" and my kids loved it! Disney are you listening?????

Hallowishes
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
i miss kids incorporated! :lovestruc

thelittlemermaid83
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
When they took Vault Disney off, I hoped it was because they were going to start a Vault Disney channel -- something like a Disney version of TV Land. Alas ...

We never had Vault Disney here in the UK :(

We have Disney cinemagic which shows Disney films and a few cartoons like Lilo & Stitch but never the older stuff.

RutgersAlum
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm a 70's girl and I remember watching the B&W old school Mickey Mouse Club with Annette and Cubby, lol. When they say that Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake were "Mousketeers," what does that mean?:confused3 Was there a "new" Mickey Mouse Club? Is there still one now?

Geez, that show helped me learn to spell Mickey (M-I-C--see you real soon...).
Michele/RutgersAlum

charming23
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
This morning I was thinking about how I always used to watch the Disney Channel while getting ready for school in the morning and I will even admit to watching it in High School. I remember the Old Winnie the Pooh Cartoon. I still sing the theme song

"Gotta get up,
Gotta get going,
Gonna see a friend of mine,
he warm and he's fuzzy,
I love him because he's just Pooh Bear,

Winnie the Pooh Bear,
Lookin' for fun, chasing some honeybees
Pooh bear, I know he's out there
Rumbly tumbly
Climbin' a honey tree

Fun never ends for us, we're so adventurous
Least every now and again
But when you're alone, and there's nobody home
It's nice to be able
To count on a friend like

Pooh bear, Winnie the Pooh Bear
Wherever you go, oh won't you take me please
Pooh Bear, I gotta be the-e-ere
It's me and it's you
My silly ol' Winnie the Pooooooooooh

hulagirl87
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Such good memories! I now have the Good Morning, Mickey theme song in my head. :) My younger sister used to watch The New Mickey Mouse Club every afternoon. I still remember when they sang "Opposites Attract" by Paula Abdul and changed the part about stealing bed covers so it would be more kid-friendly. We thought it was so funny! And when we went on vacation to WDW we saw the show set at MGM on the backlot tour (when the tour was still cool).

I was obsessed with the New Mickey Mouse Club! I remember sitting on the floor in my mom's room and watching it on her tv. And I still have a lot of the episodes recorded on beta. Yes, that's pretty old! :laughing: I even remember entering a contest about being a mouseketeer for a day. Yeah, I didn't win...

The old school stuff was the best. I was definitely a fan of Mousercise and Goof Troop and Bonkers were 2 of my favorite cartoons. While I am an adult now, I did like Jojo's Circus :goodvibes And I adore Charlie and Lola! The only tolerable things now are Handy Manny and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...

wondermomamy
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM

I loved this! I tell my kids about it and they think I'm nuts.

Geez, that show helped me learn to spell Mickey (M-I-C--see you real soon...).
Michele/RutgersAlum

Pretty sure this was the first word I could spell!

I remember the Old Winnie the Pooh Cartoon. I still sing the theme song

Thanks for that memory! I sang that with my older kids...well, I sang it around them anyway. :rotfl:

thelittlemermaid83
03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
The only tolerable things now are Handy Manny and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...

Those 2 shows give me a headache lol, my 4 year old refuses to watch Playhouse Disney unless the Imagination Movers are on.

ShellyShellfish
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Those 2 shows give me a headache lol, my 4 year old refuses to watch Playhouse Disney unless the Imagination Movers are on.

My 2 1/2 year old is ADDICTED to the Movers...I think I must have every single episode saved on the DVR. It's so bad he can request the episodes by name.:scared1:

startrekkie
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I really do want Disney to create a channel dedicated to old Disney cartoons why can't they launch a uk channel some time.

SheenaXena21
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
I really do want Disney to create a channel dedicated to old Disney cartoons.

DITTO!!!!!

I hate this new crap they show right now!!!! IMHO, it is making the kids now disrespectful and just plain mean!!!!

I so enjoyed watching the old cartoons when I was young and still do to this day.

Bring them back Disney!!!!!!!!!

PK Disney Dork
03-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Kids Inc!!! Man I haven't thought about that show in ages!!! I still have the ONE album they released...yeah that totally kills any music credibility I have...but who cares...still love it!

skhermsmeyer
03-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Oh man, those were some GREAT shows! Not like the stuff they have on now. :( It's so sad my kids will never get to see any of this stuff. :sad2:

does anybody else remember "Under the Umbrella Tree"? It had Gloria Gopher, Jay Bluejay, and Izzy (I'm thinking he was an iguana??) I used to watch that one too.

Man, I really miss the classic Disney shows!

thelittlemermaid83
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
My 2 1/2 year old is ADDICTED to the Movers...I think I must have every single episode saved on the DVR. It's so bad he can request the episodes by name.:scared1:

Sounds like my DD, she even high five's me when she knows its a new episode :lmao:

lilosurf11
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I miss the DC original movies like Zenon an Smart House - they need to show those again! I also miss the cartoons like Duck Tales and Chip N' Dale. :lovestruc
But I do love Phineas and Ferb and I enjoy watching Hannah Montana (not gonna lie!)

JoShan1719
03-16-2010, 11:53 AM
does anybody else remember "Under the Umbrella Tree"? It had Gloria Gopher, Jay Bluejay, and Izzy (I'm thinking he was an iguana??) I used to watch that one too.

Man, I really miss the classic Disney shows!

That was my FAVORITE Disney show in the morning, and it was the first one on. And yes Izzy (Iggy?) was an Iguana. I think... :confused3

gymnastgirlflips
03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
I miss the DC original movies like Zenon an Smart House - they need to show those again! I also miss the cartoons like Duck Tales and Chip N' Dale. :lovestruc
But I do love Phineas and Ferb and I enjoy watching Hannah Montana (not gonna lie!)

I saw Smart House on about a month ago! I don't know if it was on Disney XD or Channel though. Zenon never comes on either.

Fantasmic23
03-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Thank you so, so much for starting this thread ... Because I was going to start one similar.

I was channel-surfing last night and I came upon the Disney Channel (or the 2 Disney Channels that DirecTV provides us with). I pressed the remote control button to see what would be on later in the evening: The Suite Life ..., Cory in the House, Kim Possible, Hannah Montana, That's so Raven ... REALLY? At midnight? Yes, really. It was then that I realized how much I miss the "old school" days of the Disney Channel. Now, don't get me wrong. My kids watch (and enjoy) many of those shows. I guess I'm just a sucker for nostalgia.

Yes, I remember when the Disney Channel started in good old 1983. I remember shows like Mousercise, Good Morning, Mickey and Just You and Me, Kid. I remember excitedly seeing Pollyanna for the first time ever during the summer of 1983 on the Disney Channel. And my favorite of the "old school" Disney Channel fare? The Mickey Mouse Club: The Adventures of Spin and Marty, Annette, even the opening ditty of "We're the Mouseketeers, we wanna say hello. And give three cheers ..." was enough to send me on a trip down Walt Disney Lane.

I wish ... I mean, I really, really wish that the Disney Channel would consider changing their evening line-up. They can still give the tweens and teens their fill and then cut them off at 10:00. Vault Disney ... Open it up. Include some docs about Walt himself, some classic, non-animated Disney films, etc., etc. An entirely new channel (Vintage Disney, perhaps) would be really sweet.

Fantasmic23
03-17-2010, 12:10 AM

:lmao: Yes, I'd rather ride Stitch's Great Escape at MK ... And then have a root canal or two done.

This is my wish, too ... That Disney would create a Classics Channel. Vintage Disney, Classic Disney ... They could dream up a good name. I almost want to write a letter, start a petition, do something.

It seems that every time I turn on the TV, there's a new shopping channel (gems, art auctions, knives, coins, etc.). Enough! Give me a Classic Disney channel and I'll consider buying one of those knvives or coins.

Tinkerbell.RN
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
:lmao: Yes, I'd rather ride Stitch's Great Escape at MK ... And then have a root canal or two done.

This is my wish, too ... That Disney would create a Classics Channel. Vintage Disney, Classic Disney ... They could dream up a good name. I almost want to write a letter, start a petition, do something.

It seems that every time I turn on the TV, there's a new shopping channel (gems, art auctions, knives, coins, etc.). Enough! Give me a Classic Disney channel and I'll consider buying one of those knvives or coins.

I'll add my wish to that, too! I remember all the shows (newer and older) that were mentioned. I would love to see them and have my kids see those for older kids. (I don't think they would watch any Pooh bear anymore!)

It's funny how mentioning them brings the theme songs to mind! (Kids In-cor-por-a-ted!)

I also remember the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, although I was already an adult. Disneyland had a stage show about it that was great! We have even recently nicknamed our cats "Don Carnage... and Fat Cat" (Their real names are Mischief and Stitch!)

So... add my vote for a Vintage Disney. It has to include 60 years worth of stuff, though! Original MMC was from the 50's along with the serials people have mentioned. I was too young for it, and too old for the "new" MMC!

starrock77
03-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Does anyone remember Epcot Magazine. That was my favorite show.

a paper star
03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I used to love Mousercise, I'd actually get up to exercise. I wish they ran the re-runs I'd exercise to that today if it came on!

I used to also watch reruns of Growing Pains when it aired on Disney Channel.

If I'm bored I'll watch Disney Channel but the only thing I'll watch is Hannah Montana.

Figment_Fan
04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I have to admit, I miss DuckTales and Rescue Rangers! I watched them with my son in his younger days. I liked them just as much as he did. With my daughter, I did like Kim Possible and am looking forward to Epcot this summer just to experience the characters again.

I'm old in body only, not in mind.

MissFitt
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Does anyone remember Epcot Magazine. That was my favorite show.

I think I was on that show -- they filmed a group of us when we went to EPCOT in high school (must have been about 1984) Somewhere at my Mom's house is a VHS video tape of it -- not too pretty but I get to tell my kids that Mommy was once on the Disney Channel :cool1:

hichewlova
04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I remember when they played classic disney cartoons - i am sure they still do at some time. i saw Snow White on ABC Family the other day - it's there if you search!

JoShan1719
04-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Have you noticed they've started showing some of the old cartoons between shows now? I just saw one this morning and was so excited, and another one just came on. It's so nice to see the old cartoons, I remember watching them in the mornings when I was a kid.

dizneedoll
04-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Remeber Walt Disney World Inside Out? I loved that show! And I loved Avonlea. That was such a nice family show.

Now, I've got the Kids Incorporated theme song stuck in my head! Thanks a lot. lol

kampfirekim
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
I especially miss Vault Disney! What about Five Mile Creek? Hard to believe that there isn't a Mickey Mouse Club at all anymore. :sad1:

the horned king
04-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I miss watching the disneyland shows late at night.

Merry Mousketeer
04-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Like everyone else, I miss Vault Disney. I also miss Mousterpiece Theatre, The Disney Family Album and Backstage Disney World (or something like that).

I really don't know how Disney is going to instill brand loyalty in the younger generation when they don't broadcast the classic movies, TV shows and programs about the Imagineers, animators and theme parks as they did with my generation.

JoShan1719
04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I really don't know how Disney is going to instill brand loyalty in the younger generation when they don't broadcast the classic movies, TV shows and programs about the Imagineers, animators and theme parks as they did with my generation.

I was thinking about this just this morning. It seems like with the younger generation Disney isn't about Mickey or Donald or the others, it's High School Musical, Hannah Montana and Kim Possible. I have nothing against these shows, but there needs to be a balance. We've forgotten the mouse!

Merry Mousketeer
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I was thinking about this just this morning. It seems like with the younger generation Disney isn't about Mickey or Donald or the others, it's High School Musical, Hannah Montana and Kim Possible. I have nothing against these shows, but there needs to be a balance. We've forgotten the mouse!

I suppose there's "Mickey's Clubhouse" on The Disney Channel, but not much more than that.

JoShan1719
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
I suppose there's "Mickey's Clubhouse" on The Disney Channel, but not much more than that.

I tried watching that last week to see if it compared to the morning cartoons I used to watch. Not even close, I changed the channel 20 seconds in.

tigger813
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
When DH and I first got married we would get in bed every night and watch Vault Disney! We have bought some of the Treasure collections so we can some of the things on there! I soooo wish they'd bring that back!!!!!

Miss Monorail 1971
04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
To a pp I remember WDW Inside Out. I have a few episodes on tape. I loved that show.....now I just have to settle for the WDW planning video.
Hosting a show about WDW can you say DREAM JOB.

Another pp mentioned the Wiggles and Rollie Pollie Olie. I actually miss the wiggles. DD loved them so much. Then she grew up and told me she was too old for the wiggles. I think I cried a little.

A Classic Disney Channel would be great! BTW DD now loves Fineas and Pherb and I find it quite funny. She watches the SIMP episode over and over.

kampfirekim
04-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Like everyone else, I miss Vault Disney. I also miss Mousterpiece Theatre

:thumbsup2 Me too!! I forgot about Mousterpiece Theatre w/George Plimpton. I loved that!

runskyhy
04-08-2010, 07:16 PM

:thumbsup2

Ppufi
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
The -old- Disney Channel sounds pretty cool. I was one of the Y2K watchers: Lizzie McGuire, Lilo & Stitch series, Even Stevens, etc. House of Mouse was always a goody to watch though; I miss that show.

CoP Luv
04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
And I loved Avonlea. That was such a nice family show.

Now, I've got the Kids Incorporated theme song stuck in my head! Thanks a lot. lol

We LOVED Avonlea!!!! We were able to get the episodes at our library when we were kids. I might have to check Netflix to see if they have them!

I have the Kids Incorporated song in my head too!!! :rotfl:

julio5150
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Phineas and Ferb is cool! Do you remember when they showed Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, and what was the other one?

ScaryTales
04-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I fondly remember the Disney Channel circa late 80's. I so wish that there was a retro Disney Channel. First post btw.. glad to be here.

JoShan1719
04-21-2010, 12:44 AM
I fondly remember the Disney Channel circa late 80's. I so wish that there was a retro Disney Channel. First post btw.. glad to be here.

:welcome:

mrsbert
04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I can't believe I haven't seen someone mention the gameshow Contraption that played in the early days of Disney Channel. I definitely remember Disney Channel being a premium and I was so excited to have it.

I guess this is where my love of trivia comes from. :love:

Fantasmic23
04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen someone mention the gameshow Contraption that played in the early days of Disney Channel. I definitely remember Disney Channel being a premium and I was so excited to have it.

I guess this is where my love of trivia comes from. :love:

OMG!! As soon as I read the word "Contraption", a flood of old school Disney Channel memories came back!! Man, I miss the mid 80s ...

Ron from Michigan
04-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Anybody remember Ocean Girl ? It aired around 1994. It was a pretty good show.

JoShan1719
04-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Anybody remember Ocean Girl ? It aired around 1994. It was a pretty good show.

I don't remember much, but it sounds familiar... I just remember their accents.

iheartpluto
05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
OMG, I have been wanting a vintage Disney Channel for about 10 years!! Maybe we should start a DIS petition... If we got a ton of "signatures," who knows what would happen?

lostatdisney
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh wow, I love this thread! This is the first time I have posted on this board - usually I'm on the Disney parks or Disney cruise boards. But I was looking for a place to complain about the lack of classic Disney short cartoons! This spring break we were at the Grand Californian at DL, and they have a TV with all the classic Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc. cartoons. Why in the world aren't these on TV somewhere?

I've been recording the "Have a Laugh" segments that fill in the end of the hour on the Disney channel, but they are SO short, and they seem to just run the same ones over and over. I do have a few DVDs of the classic cartoons, but for some reason it's not the same to put a DVD in and watch it. I noticed today that the Cartoon Network has Popeye, Tom and Jerry, etc. So why not the old Disney cartoons?

I have just loved reading everyone's memories of the old shows. I'm 45, so I was too young for the old Mickey Mouse club, but I was too old for the Disney channel when it first came out. But when I became a mom eighteen years ago, I had a greater appreciation for the Disney Channel! I did enjoy the old live action Winnie-the-Pooh and the later cartoon version. My kids like Ducktales and Rescue Rangers. Lizzie McGuire is still one of my favorites. And my DSs were obsessed with the animated Mighty Ducks (not the live action film)! We still have the action figures. I don't think anyone else has mentioned the Mighty Ducks, but it was a hit at our house!

Okay, I didn't mean to write so much, but I would be ecstatic if they would start a classic Disney channel!!! :yay:

Uncleromulus
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't even get me started talking about all the great stuff they had when the Disney Channel first came out--and for a few years after.
Now?? Awful is the kindest thing I can say.

Just recalled: Didn't the first season of the "New Leave it to Beaver" also debut on the Disney Channel??

Fantasmic23
05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
OMG, I have been wanting a vintage Disney Channel for about 10 years!! Maybe we should start a DIS petition... If we got a ton of "signatures," who knows what would happen?

Let's do it! I already sent the Disney Channel an email, but who knows where that wound up. Deleted, I'm sure.

Uncleromulus
05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
It's a good idea and I wish it would happen. BUt even tho we here on the Boards are in agreement, think about how very few of us are left who even remember this stuff? And all the people who have never seen it and could care less.
I want to cry every time I go to Hollywood Studios, go into the Walt Disney exhibit, and see a handful of people. Once we were the ONLY two people in the theater watching the movie at the end.
Sad to say but what you see on the Disney Channel now is what the "people" want these days.

iheartpluto
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, I'm going to try! :) I'll start a new thread titled "We Need a Vintage Disney Channel!" and hopefully we'll get a ton of "signatures." I'm also starting a Facebook page with the same title, so we can get attention there, too! Let's do this! :cheer2:

Ron from Michigan
05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
When the Disney Channel started it was so great. But now there is not a thing I would care to watch. I know there are a lot of shows that are very popular but they are mainly geered toward young teenagers and smaller. There used to be so many shows on that appealed to adults as well. I don't thing it will change anytime soon. I am so glad that I have bought all the Walt Disney Treasures collection.

Simba22
05-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I also remember Dumbo's Circus from when I was little - that was my favorite show. And Disney Afternoons was a good block of shows...Tale Spin and Dark Wing Duck were my favorites.... I actually have seasons 1 & 2 of Dark Wing Duck on DVD. And I remember they had an Aladdin cartoon for a while that I used to watch. It sucks that almost everything on Disney Channel now is live action. Don't get me wrong, I like Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, and Suite Life...but nothing beats the old stuff!

julayla
05-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I used to love the Disney Channel. It was great! I loved it even more than Nickelodeon when I was a kid, and that's saying something.

Standouts include Dumbo's Circus, Alice in Wonderland, Avonlea, DuckTales, TaleSpin, Under the Umbrella Tree, Mouseterpiece Theatre, and Rescue Rangers. I also remember watching a few Aladdin cartoons. Hee, I also liked those silly "made-for-TV" shows like Not Quite Human and Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss.

And... um, what was it, Mother Goose? There was a show that always started with a mother goose telling a story to her little goslings, and then you'd see the "true" story behind a popular nursery rhyme. Google is not yielding anything to my searches.

Like most everyone else, I hate the modern Disney channel. It's like trying to eat knock-off junk food that tastes awful.

spacemermaid
05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I used to love the Disney Channel, too...they had such a diverse selection of programs! I remember seeing:

a TV special from 1967 when the "New Tomorrowland" opened, black-and-white cartoons from the early days, music videos made with Disney animation footage, a TV special from the NY Worlds Fair (with the Audio Animatronic dinosaurs), "Donald in Mathmagics Land", a HILARIOUS short from probably the 1950s about Goofy trying to quit smoking, and, for some reason, the TV show "Ready Steady Go!" from the 60s. This was in the late 80s/early 90s. If they still had such programming, I'd probably be glued to the television permanantly...or at the very least, cancel my Netflix account :rotfl:

Maybe they could have a "retro" Disney Channel, to appeal to those of us who remember the "real" (ie: pre-"all tweens, all the time" programming) Disney Channel? :worship:

I, for one, would pay to see it...

Mama_Dis
05-25-2010, 09:24 AM
I LOVE classic Disney stuff and would absolutely pay more for a channel that was dedicated to such programming. We didn't get the Disney channel until the 90's, so I'm a child of Talespin, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales etc. as well. In fact, my little sister's ringtone on my phone is the Gummi Bears theme song- she loves it. . . we're such dorks.:cool1:

I could watch the classic Mickey cartoons all the time. We actually have some DVD sets of "The Chronological Mickey (and Pluto and Goofy and Donald sets as well). We too were worried that our kids wouldn't "know" the characters like we do, so we got those DVD's and watched them with the kids before we took them to WDW last year (youngest DS's first time). It worked like a charm- they were both so excited to meet each of the characters, just like I would have been as a child. :goodvibes

Nhat Le
08-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Cartoons nowadays focus on technology.. while back then with mickey mouse.. it's all about family and relationships :)

JoShan1719
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I could watch the classic Mickey cartoons all the time. We actually have some DVD sets of "The Chronological Mickey (and Pluto and Goofy and Donald sets as well). We too were worried that our kids wouldn't "know" the characters like we do, so we got those DVD's and watched them with the kids before we took them to WDW last year (youngest DS's first time). It worked like a charm- they were both so excited to meet each of the characters, just like I would have been as a child. :goodvibes

I hear you. When I was a kid going to Disney was about meeting the fab five, everyone else was just a bonus. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the excitement of meeting the princesses or the fairies while Mickey and his friends are after thoughts.

melissa0208
08-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I miss the old Disney channel too. I used to love Dumbo's Circus, The Live action Winnie the Pooh, Gummi Bears, Gargoyles, Ducktales, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, etc..... I also used to love getting to watch Vault Disney when I was up late because I was sick. I wish they would go back to that stuff.

Although I do love Phineus and Ferb.

Ditto! And old school MMC. We have DuckTales & Rescue Rangers on DVD and my DD has gotten into them which DH & I LOVE! :woohoo:

DisneyDancer1986
08-25-2010, 01:59 AM
The shows I miss most are Ducktales, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, and the Wonderful World of Disney. :)

Merry Mousketeer
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
The shows I miss most are Ducktales, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, and the Wonderful World of Disney. :)

If you miss Ducktales and Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, I bought the DVDs at our local Costco a while back. I'm sure they're available from other sources. They also had Darkwing Duck. I didn't watch these shows, but my children did when they were little.

deedeesmom
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
:happytv:I grew up on DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck. I love the oldies and alot of the new stuff too.

DisneyDancer1986
08-25-2010, 11:30 PM
When they took Vault Disney off, I hoped it was because they were going to start a Vault Disney channel -- something like a Disney version of TV Land. Alas ...

That would have been pretty sweet. Or at the least show the whole version of the old cartoons they've been playing lately, instead of these stupid short ones.

DisneyDancer1986
08-25-2010, 11:34 PM
If you miss Ducktales and Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, I bought the DVDs at our local Costco a while back. I'm sure they're available from other sources. They also had Darkwing Duck. I didn't watch these shows, but my children did when they were little.

We sell them at the walmart I work at. I bought the first vol of Ducktales, and am waiting for Vol 2 & both Chip n Dales. We don't have Darkwing Duck, which my husband loves!

You should have seen my the day I saw the tags for them, I was jumping for joy inside. :woohoo:

LexiC123
08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Remember Walt Disney World Inside Out? I loved that show! And I loved Avonlea. That was such a nice family show.

To a pp I remember WDW Inside Out. I have a few episodes on tape. I loved that show.....now I just have to settle for the WDW planning video.
Hosting a show about WDW can you say DREAM JOB.

Another pp mentioned the Wiggles and Rollie Pollie Olie. I actually miss the wiggles. DD loved them so much. Then she grew up and told me she was too old for the wiggles. I think I cried a little.

A Classic Disney Channel would be great! BTW DD now loves Fineas and Pherb and I find it quite funny. She watches the SIMP episode over and over.
YES! Loved, loved, loved Inside Out! :love: Definitely a dream job! This was before the vacation planning videos came out, and it was the only way to get your Disney World fix in between trips.

First with Scott Herriott and that great Mickey couch. Then with JD Roth, Brianne Leary...and George Foreman, of all people!!

There are a few snippets on YouTube. Here's the original opening sequence. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTANnubmY9o)

What's funny is that both JD Roth and Brianne Leary ended up with shows on Animal Planet after their Disney stint. And today, JD is the announcer, co-creator and producer of The Biggest Loser.