PDA

View Full Version : What DVC Perks do you currently use?

twinklebug
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Time to look at the present and to be happy with what we have. For me we've been using the

discounted APs (3 adults)
RFC discounts on merchandise and food
boat rental discount (between the AAA, AP & DVC discounts, DVC was the best per the CM)

There's probably more I'm unaware of that we could use. but I'm pretty happy :wizard:

supersuperwendy
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
We also have 3 adult dvc APs and we are getting two more soon (3-9)! We are using the 20% lunch discount at Les Chefs and since our oldest DD is finally going to be 12 she can drive her own watermouse so we will be renting boats!

n2mm
03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
AP discount, free movie rental, free internet.

Anal Annie
03-13-2010, 06:59 PM
We've used the DVC discount on AP's (and Premium AP's) + done the free movie rental and have sometimes received a discount on meals here & there. That has such limited availability though. I try to remember to ask when shopping & dining to see if there's an AP or DVC discount available but since the answer is usually no I often forget to ask. We've also used the discount for the water parks when we didn't have the PAP and have used it for the DVC member discount on cash ressies 2x. Is there anything else? :confused3

dclfun
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Free internet, and my kids love the 20% off at Wetzel's Pretzels!---Kathy

rlovew
03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
We use the free internet. We also used the DVC AP discount- although this is much of a wipeout as we are FL residents. We have used the food discount a few times but recently bought a TIW card so this year we will be using that instead.

jlwhitney
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
-Free Internet (love that feature)
-Discounts on food and merchandise (have most of those same discounts with premium AP)
-Didn't use AP discount since got a better rate at AAA since we are Florida Members

---In the end love DVC for the convince of the rooms and love the resorts they have. Didn't buy in because of any perks and I expect them to change throughout our membership. In the end I would be worried if they didn't add, drop or amend the perks because if they didn't it would be a signal that they are not managing things well. Too long with bad managing practices and things tend to crumble.

colonialtinker
03-13-2010, 09:33 PM
AP discount and free internet

Tara
03-13-2010, 10:30 PM
AP discount
I've used dining discounts in the past at DTD restaurants that don't take TIW
Mini golf discount (though honestly, I don't remember if DVC or AP was better)
Spa services discount
Free internet
Water park admission discount
Pool hopping!

Disney Princess
03-13-2010, 10:49 PM
We use the AP discount and the spa discount. We try to use the dining/shopping discounts when we can, but frankly we'll use the AP/Disney Visa one if they are better.

What we love about DVC is the deluxe accommodations at an affordable rate. :goodvibes

DisneyTravelers2008
03-14-2010, 12:11 AM
We are HOPING, (PLANNING and DREAMING) to book a night at BLT for our next trip so we can see the fireworks from the top deck at BLT...I think it is only available to DVC member staying at BLT.

I do wish we got more perks...the free dining for non DVC members jsut seems so odd to me...shouldnt we get a disoucnt??? at least??? oh well....

dianeschlicht
03-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Ap discount
free internet
Spa discount

perpetualplanner
03-14-2010, 08:37 AM
We use the AP discount, free internet, and occasional dining discount. Always consider the water-mice but it hasn't happened yet.

kdepot
03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
We use free internet, discount APs Surry bike rental & Dining discounts at Swan & Dolphin.
Shopping wise I just walk to the counter with my DVC Card. my Disney Visa, My TIW card and my AP. I say I have them all , which one's the better deal and after the CM stops laughing they take one of them

We are at BLT in OCT I see a discount boat rental in our future

Chuck S
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Two adult APs, and I took a laptop for the first time in January...the free internet was handy to make ADRs and I was able to run the R/T board during the trip. While we have some allergy issues with DFCs food, we do occasionally sind some interesting merchandise and use the shopping discount there. We use the dining discounts when they are better than the TiW discount.

loveswdw
03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
-Dining discounts
-Mini golf
-Shopping when it was available
-Free DVD rental
-Dining plan without having to have a base ticket!
-Discount on MVMCP & MNSSHP tickets

And thanks Supersuperwendy--I totally forgot the Les Chefs offers 20 percent at lunch! I was trying to figure out which TS to pay OOP for this trip and that's makes my decision. :woohoo:

Simba's Mom
03-14-2010, 12:05 PM
We never even brought a laptop until we got free internet. The first Christmas after we got free internet, I got my own laptop. So maybe that "free" DVC perk wasn't so free for us! Also, we use the AP discount. Maybe we'd use the dining perks, but they come and go so fast, it seems, that we just stick with the AP discounts, and usually don't even think of DVC discounts.

Sandisw
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
The free internet and the AP discount are the ones we currently use. We did enjoy the free valet for our first DVC trip last summer and will miss that.

Of course, we have only been DVC for a year and have not had as much time to use the other discounts.

DenLo
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Free Internet
AP Discount
Dining Discount at Raglan Road

jarestel
03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
The only "perk" I would currently consider to be of any substantial use to me is the AP discount. However, I can understand that an AP may not make sense for the members whose vacation stays differ from mine. For those who can take advantage of the AP discount, it's a decent savings. Nice to have, will miss it when it's gone.

We use the internet access, but never did when it wasn't free. If it suddenly went back to being a "paid item", I'd just stop using it. Nice to have, but won't miss it if it goes away.

Shopping and dining discounts are, for the most part, not used to any great extent. We'll use the discounts if plans call for us to be in a certain restaurant or shop, but don't plan our shopping / dining based on establishments that offer discounts. Nice to have, but if they go away, impact on us would be minimal.

We did use valet parking for the convenience when it was free but not anymore. However, self parking is pretty simple, I just drop everyone off at the door and park it myself. So again, valet isn't really missed all that much. Nice to have, would use it again if pricing changes in the future, but not of any use as it's currently structured.

JaxDisneyFans
03-14-2010, 03:32 PM
We use free internet, dvc discount, golf discount, spa discount, shopping discounts when available, Fultons & Raglan Road discounts.

aggiemullins
03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the free internet paid through our annual dues? I seem to remember reading something from DVC when they freed the internet that basically said it was because members were complaining about it so much that they added the cost of it to the dues so that we wouldn't be charged for it anymore.

Not that I'm complaining or trying to burst anyone's bubble. Don't get me wrong, I love not paying $10/day for internet, but I think it's more because we wanted it and were willing to pay for it through other methods and a little less through the generosity of Disney World as a Member's Perk.

Sorry if I sound cynical. I get this way every time the perks change and never seem to get better then what we had before.

tinkerfan1
03-14-2010, 04:48 PM
AP discount, free internet, merchandise discounts where/when available

d-r
03-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I had lunch at sanaa the other day and they took 10% off. We fl. resident for but aps, and I use the free internet, I miss the free valet sort of, but we really only used that at places like vwl - we'd use it to go over there to eat, stuff like that. We had lunch at trails end the other day and they would give us 10% for dvc or ap either way.

Oh we usually go to the member mixer and sometimes use a dvc discount for party tickets.

The best thing we use is points to book a villa.

bobbiwoz
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
The AP discount is the best! We have the TIW card and that seems to pretty much cover the dining discounts, but the 30% off lunch DVC deal at Fultons's is a great perk for us. We use discounts for massages. We get the videos in the room for free.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Nikisha421
03-14-2010, 07:07 PM
free internet
movie rentals
ap discount
rain forest cafe meal discount

Lady V
03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
free movie rentals
AP discount
POOL HOPPING!!!

tjkraz
03-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Seems like we've used just about all of them over the years. Within the last couple of years I know we have used:

* WDW AP discount
* Disneyland AP discount
* Free Internet
* DME
* Movie Rental
* Pool Hopping
* Various DTD shopping discounts
* Spa discount at SSR (now a tradition for DW :headache: )
* Pirate cruise discount

Going back a few more years we've also gotten discounts on boat rentals, after-hours parties (Pirate & Princess 2-3 years ago), some dining discounts, the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, single-day admission to waterparks and DisneyQuest and others I'm certainly forgetting. I'm not a golfer but they once allowed a relative traveling with us to buy the golf membership due to his room key with the "DVC Member" notation.

kapeman
03-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Not sure how I missed this and a Google search came up with nothing, but what are the details of the free movie rental?

Thanks!

tjkraz
03-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Not sure how I missed this and a Google search came up with nothing, but what are the details of the free movie rental?

Thanks!

Each of the resorts has a selection of DVDs you can borrow to view in the room. I believe they are all Disney titles but there are some adult-oriented films like National Treasure.

The pickup location varies. The resorts at which I used the perk either had it in the Community Hall or gift shop. Front desk can certainly tell you where to go.

Crystal_27
03-15-2010, 08:18 AM
We've used the discount for MNSSHP tickets and free internet, but for this year, will get discounted APs and will also be able to take advantage of getting the DDP without the peak season surcharge added. :thumbsup2

kapeman
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Each of the resorts has a selection of DVDs you can borrow to view in the room. I believe they are all Disney titles but there are some adult-oriented films like National Treasure.

The pickup location varies. The resorts at which I used the perk either had it in the Community Hall or gift shop. Front desk can certainly tell you where to go.

Thanks.

I was thinking about something completely different.

MickeyLuvrLauren
03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
We have 4 APs. The discount on APs has led us to TIW card and just recently 20% of all of our shopping purchases on our Feb. trip. In July we're planning to use the waterpatk discount.

DVCGeek
03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
We've grabbed DVDs and are using the discounted WDW APs. Also used a couple of other discounts (mainly in DL + Bongos in WDW) and bought some member exclusive pins...

mouse
03-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Discounted AP's (and TIW card)
Free internet
DVC golf membership

bwvBound
03-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Each of the resorts has a selection of DVDs you can borrow to view in the room. I believe they are all Disney titles but there are some adult-oriented films like National Treasure.Ummm ... National Treasure is a Disney flick? and I'm thinking it is appropriate for family viewing?

CrazyDuck
03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Ummm ... National Treasure is a Disney flick? and I'm thinking it is appropriate for family viewing?

I think tjkraz knows that... I'm pretty sure he meant that the videos available are not all animated princess movies, and include some mainstream (Disney/Buena Vista/Touchstone) movies as well.

disneymom8589
03-15-2010, 07:35 PM
We've used the dining/shopping discounts.

bwvBound
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I think tjkraz knows that... I'm pretty sure he meant that the videos available are not all animated princess movies, and include some mainstream (Disney/Buena Vista/Touchstone) movies as well.Ah, gotcha. In that case -- it should be pointed out that not all the titles come from Disney and some are, without doubt, adult-oriented.

DVCGeek
03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
(and TIW card)
Free internet

Oh yeah, I also use the internet on every trip and since I had an AP I got a TiW card last October... Forgot about DVC enabling those! :rotfl:

WDWMom
03-15-2010, 09:20 PM
pool hopping
free movie rentals
free internet

Disnydad
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
AP discount, free internet. An AP pretty much gets you better or the same discounts as a DVC member card.