PDA

View Full Version : Do you resort hop? I love my home resort

Gary Pinkos
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I own at OKW and I have never stayed anywhere else........is there something wrong with me? :confused3

Maybe I am just cheap, but I never have had a desire to stay at other resorts. The point values seem to be best at OKW and I love the feel of this resort.

We have stayed in cabins at the campground a few years back, because we were making late reservations.

I remember when the Boardwalk was being built, I was excited at the prospect, but just never have doon it.

I have reservations for July......so I thought about making a split stay for a few days and trying BLT......but when I looked at the points, and the thought of repacking......just figured I would stay at OKW

Am I in the minority? Do most people resort hop?

Gary

katmittens
03-12-2010, 10:48 PM
We own at OKW and have mostly stayed there. We just stayed at VWL in a 2 bedroom and loved it. We have stayed at BCV and AKV at Jambo, and Vero. DH loves OKW the best but he has lately gotten out voted by me and DS and DD. We are staying at AKV in May and may go on the wait list for BC.

We do love OKW, but last time we were there in Jan 09 just felt the rooms needed an update. New beds, the mattresses were way too hard. I am still thinking we should do OKW in May but the kids want the other resorts. I know for sure we will be back next June at OKW, hopefully they will be refurbished by then. You can't beat the size of the rooms and the tropical feel at OKW. The car outside your door and the quietness. OH NO, I think I want to go back. Every nite we discuss where we are staying in May and if we should go on the waitlist for something else. Maybe we have too many choices.

But you should give one of the other resorts a try just to see what it is like.

baxter1999
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I own at SSR and I love it! However I do resort hop. I've stayed at BWV (1 bedroom) and my parents have stayed at OKW (studio). I'm staying again at BWV (1 bedroom)in August and VWL (studio) in October.

I do love SSR but sometimes it's just nice to stay somewhere else. I like BWV because of being able to walk to Epcot anf DHS. It all depends how many points I have and if I feel like spluring on a trip.

I say try it! If you don't like it you don't do it again:)

BWV is great in the summer and there's a ton of stuff to do!

ChrisMouse
03-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I am right there with you. OKW is just HOME. We love it. We love the size of the rooms and we love the feel of the resort and the kids love the pool. We love the lazy feeling of taking the boat to DTD...we love sitting on our little balcony to eat our breakfast. We love the mature landscaping.

We have some extra points to work with for our upcoming trip, and we tried to talk ourselves into staying somewhere else, but we couldn't do it. We love that our points go farther at OKW than anyplace else. We can have more nights by staying right at OKW.

I'm sure SOMEtime we will stay somewhere else. I'd like to try AKV sometime because my daughter likes giraffes. But we can always just still VISIT the giraffes and then go back home to OKW...:cool1:

lulubelle
03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
One of the biggest allures for me with DVC is the ability to go to WDW every 12-18 months and try somewhere new every time! I could never stay at the same place twice before trying all of the resorts at least once. Just my way of vacationing! I suppose eventually I will run out of new locations, but that's ok, so many have been fabulous that I would love to return to.:goodvibes

kikiq
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
My DH loves SSR. I've tried other resorts and we all stayed at BWV last summer, but he rather be at SSR. For our upcoming trip, I booked really last minute and was lucky to get OKW studio. We're excited since it was a friend's OKW 2 bdrm that convinced us that we needed to seriously needed to consider DVC. But we're back at SSR for our summer trip. We looked at all the resorts and SSR is our home and love it there. I like checking out the other resorts on short stays but think we'll always take our longer stays at SSR.

When I called MS to make the May reservations, the CM said that it wasn't strange that my DH wanted to always stay at SSR, she said that when a resort "speaks to you" it is your "home". Why wouldn't you want to come home?

MiaSRN62
03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
I definitely have my favs, but we do resort hop. Each resort offers a different experience and we like that in a vacation........

Maria

AnnaS
03-13-2010, 06:49 AM
We definitely resort hop. We have loved each DVC resort we have tried and I am looking forward to trying them all.

mwmuntz
03-13-2010, 07:09 AM
We own at SSR & BLT. We love SSR, (and THV!) Our first stay at BLT will be in August, where we will also be going to AKV for the first time.

We usually go for 10-13 nights in a trip. We like to resort hop and we like to do split stays. We find that each resort has something amazing to offer, making each experience unique. Sure we have our favorites, but even our least favorite resort is pretty incredible. Have yet to have a bad time with DVC. Not sure if it's possible.

BigEeyore
03-13-2010, 07:24 AM
We have stayed at a different DVC resort every trip since we joined in 2008, sometimes 2 in one trip! Each resort is so unique, offering different experiences, and each one has its good and bad points. We don't just look at our trips as "another trip to WDW", but rather "our trip to BCV" or "our stay at AKV".
You should venture out from OKW, try some new experiences! Every DVC resort is wonderful in its own way, you won't regret it!:goodvibes

tjhsr
03-13-2010, 07:34 AM
we go 2-3 times a year and we did try BLT but that was a last minute change. we have gone to VB but SSR is our home resort and there's no place like home:goodvibes

PapasDen
03-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Like you, OKW is our home resort. We love it for lots of reasons but primarily because it is a more relaxing atmosphere (after a full-tilt day at the parks), the rooms are big (ahhh, stetch out) and the point values are excellent. We usually stay at OKW for the bulk of our trip.

That being said, we find it fun to sample other DVC resorts for 2-3 nights each time we go as well. We've stayed at BCV, VWL, AKV and BWV. While moving from resort to resort isn't fun, it is well worth it in my opinion. As others have said, each resort has it's own atmosphere and benefits.

We have even rotated through many of the non-DVC Disney resorts on weekends to experience them and save on the costly Fri/Sat point values!

Have fun and resort hop. Disney has so much to offer. :thumbsup2

tgropp
03-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Since we visit WDW in December, I love to resort hop and get the Christmassy feel at the different resorts.

daisyduck123
03-13-2010, 09:15 AM
We love to resort hop.
So far we've stayed at:

SSR (twice)
AKV (Jambo twice, Kidani once)
BCV (3X)
BLT (this summer, can't wait !!:banana:)

edk35
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
We are HOPPERS. Our first stay in Aug. 07 was a split with our home resort SSR for 5 nights then BWV for 3. Then we stayed at SSR for a week in Nov. but the following summer in July 08 we split between OKW 8 nights and BCV 5 nights. Then we stayed SSR for a week in Nov. 08. Then in Jan. 09 we stayed less than a week at OKW. In July 09 we split again between BCV and AKV (our other home resort). I love trying the other resorts. :thumbsup2

Chip n Dale's Dad
03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
We like SSR or we wouldn't have bought there. Having said that, we also like BCV and BLT. We haven't tried BLT & AKV, but we have walked to the Cont. and viewed the models and can see why AKV would be pretty cool. I guess that is why we like DVC... the variety. We are happy with SSR, but I can see us adding on at another resort later when our personal finances allow us to.

Kuzco
03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I've only been a member since 2008 and the only non-home resort I've stayed at is SSR (on Developer's Points). My other two trips have been to my home resort AKV. My three upcoming trips are all planned for AKV, with a few nights at BLT, where I own a small contract. I personally would be willing to stay at any of the other resorts, but I enjoy AKV so much that I'm sure I'll spend most of my vacations there.

When I originally bought, I almost held out a few months for BLT thinking that I'd prefer it to AKV. It turns out I made the right choice in purchasing my larger contract at AKV as I now personally prefer it to BLT. My small contract at BLT allows me to enjoy a few nights there every so often, while spending the majority of my vacations at AKV.

Goofy DVC
03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
We joined in 93 and it wasn't until 2009 that we stayed somewhere other than OKW with the exception of 1 night,literally about 12 hours,at the BW before getting on the bus for the cruise.Last year we stayed at SSR in March. Loved it! BLT in August. Loved it! Soon we will be trying BCV. My DD is crazy about OKW! She only wants to stay there. She says we are traitors:confused3 for not staying at OKW all the time. Love them all so far but OKW is still the ONE.:goodvibes We are going to try all the resorts now at least one new one a year until we run out of new experiences.Boy this is fun.

dsneygirl
03-13-2010, 10:33 AM
We are hoppers. I also like different resorts different times of the year. BCV when it is HOT for the pool , VWL at Xmas. I also love AKV and we'll definitely stay at BLT again. We've stayed at everyone on property at least once in the 5 years we've been members.

nmmom95
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Our home resort is SSR, which we love, but we'd like to try all of the DVC resorts at least once.

MinnieGi
03-13-2010, 01:07 PM
We love our home resort - BWV, but also love to try new resorts out too. I very much like trying out new areas of WDW, but still be able to enjoy my villa experience!

CruznLexi
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I am trying to convince husband to hop from KV but he has no desire to. I have to admit I like it too. I would like to stay at VWL or BCV.

SuzanneSLO
03-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Our home resort in BWV and we generally don't hop because we love the location. We have stayed 2 nights at AKV CL so we could do the Safari. We are also booked to stay at GCV in June, but I am not sure this qualifies for "hopping." When my DH and I booked a last minute trip, we elected to use Starwood points at the Swan instead of looking to other non-Epcot area alternatives at DVC. -- Suzanne

Buckeye Fan
03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Resort hoppers here, too! :thumbsup2

When DH and I joined, we made the decision to try all of the DVCs. We have stayed at all of the WDW properties except for BCV and BLT. We are staying at BCV in 3 weeks, so we can cross one more off our list! I'm so glad I've tried the other resorts for many reasons. Don't get me wrong...I love our home resorts. I definitely don't hop because I don't enjoy them. I hop because I enjoy the others so much, too. As a PP mentioned, each resort offers a different vacation experience. In some odd way, it keeps Disney fresh for me.

I will admit, if you're used to staying at OKW, you may struggle with the other resorts a bit. The rooms at OKW seem huge compared to the others. Also, OKW and SSR have a similar feel, and the other resorts have a hotel-like feel. If you're going to try something new, I would try BWV or BCV. They are completely different from OKW. There's so much to do at the BW, and it's fun to walk to HS and Epcot.

FWIW, OKW is probably still my favorite. :cloud9: There's something about it that feels like a vacation home to me. We went several years without staying there, and I found I missed it. DH, on the other hand, really likes BWV. I think BCV will be high on his list, too, as he definitely prefers the hotel-like resorts. Even though we both have our favorites, we are so glad we tried the other resorts and will continue to hop. There is never a time when I call to make a reservation and am disappointed because I feel I'm "stuck" with a certain resort.

Micca
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Hoppers here too! In fact, we bought SSR as our home resort about a year & a half ago and haven't stayed there yet(we enjoyed the resort as hotel guests several times). We've tried BWV and BLT so far and thought they were both great. I know we'll love SSR when we finally get around to staying there, but it's fun to try different places. :earsboy:

La2kw
03-13-2010, 04:21 PM
We love OKW and have a hard time staying elsewhere also. However, we have stayed at all the other DVC resorts for a few days here and there, but we always miss OKW. In a few weeks we are staying at Kidani for a few days and I sure hope I don't miss OKW too much. I'm not a fan of AKL, but we did want to try out Kidani so we could compare it. I have a feeling it will be our first and last stay there.

backyardponder
03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
We love to resort hop but always plan a few days at our home resort, BWV for its easy access to Epcot and being able to easily get home after a night a Jellyrolls.

Simba's Mom
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I own at OKW and I have never stayed anywhere else........is there something wrong with me? :confused3

Maybe I am just cheap, but I never have had a desire to stay at other resorts. The point values seem to be best at OKW and I love the feel of this resort.

We have stayed in cabins at the campground a few years back, because we were making late reservations.

I remember when the Boardwalk was being built, I was excited at the prospect, but just never have doon it.

I have reservations for July......so I thought about making a split stay for a few days and trying BLT......but when I looked at the points, and the thought of repacking......just figured I would stay at OKW

Gary

You're definitely not a minority of one. DH also said the first time we stayed at OKW, "THIS is where I always want to stay" and he hasn't wanted to chance staying anywhere else. He's convinced himself that he wouldn't like anywhere else as much as OKW. I go solo once or twice a year (at least that way I get to try out other DVC resorts), and one time he came to visit me for a few days and somewhat reluctantly stayed at BCV (he said it was "OK"), But I could tell he was glad on our next visit to get back to OKW. For some people, when they find a place they love, they're reluctant to try anywhere else. "Don't mess with success" is the way DH looks at it. He says that maybe if he had unlimited vacation time, he'd try other places.

Muhlenberg
03-13-2010, 04:50 PM
While we LOVE Kidani, so far we've resort hopped. Half the time my hubby isn't along, though. The BLT stay is because of my parents (they're old and LOVE the CR), and the THV is because DD wanted to try it (well, to be honest, so did we). SSR was because of Developer Points.

I think my heart really belongs at Kidani, though. I even asked DH...and he pointed out it's just like home. When there's animals in the yard, we jump up and go look! How true! Yesterday...6 deer in the back yard...we both jump up...I grab the camera. :lmao: Same thing happens at Kidani. :cloud9:

DebbieB
03-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I love my home resort BWV but I also like variety. I've stayed at OKW (many times), BCV (1), VWL (1), AKV (1 Jambo, 1 Kidani). No interest in SSR but I may try BLT one day.

Anal Annie
03-13-2010, 07:12 PM
We ALWAYS stay somewhere different from trip to trip. That way no 2 trips are the same and each vacation is different from the last. If we ALWAYS stayed at the same resort then I could relate to those people who say "You're going to Disney...AGAIN?" :rotfl: We haven't repeated a resort yet (well, we're staying at Kidani in March for the first time and have stayed at Jambo before - but we're not counting it as a repeat tho since it's our first stay at Kidani). I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to go back to VWL sometime and DH & DS would love to repeat BCV but we still need to try BWV and BLT before we start repeating. Both BLT and BWV were too point intensive for us for a spring break trip though which is why we selected Kidani. (That and at 7 mo. we'd have had to waitlist some of the days for spring break at BWV).

Personally, with all the great and varied choices that DVC offers I cannot imagine ALWAYS staying at the same resort every single time. I understand devleoping favorites but we just like mixing it up and trying someplace different each time. But whatever. We've liked them all so far except for OKW. Glad we've experimented this much.:goodvibes

GrumpyBelle
03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
We stay at different resorts, but only 1 resort per trip. Packing and moving would be too much of a hassle to be worth the effort when we know that we will be back and can stay somewhere different next time.

speakupjc
03-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Park Hoppers here! We own at SSR and AKL. We have stayed at AKL, BCV, VWL and BWV. We never have any desire to stay at SSR.

WDWbeat
03-13-2010, 09:48 PM
We bought into DVC in 2006 while staying at POFQ. At that time SSR was what was selling so it is our home resort. Our first trip back on points we stayed at SSR , then we tried OKW, next was BWV and coming up next is BCV/BLT. We love the flexibility of staying wherever our points and availability will allow. After we've "tried" them all I think we'll settle down to SSR but we still like knowing that we can stay at OKW if we're low on points or BWV or BCV if we're making an EPCOT trip for F&W.

eporter66
03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
We love our home resort (SSR), but we hope to try them all. We have stayed at SSR,OKW,BWV,AKV - and have had great experiences at them all.

If you are happy with staying at OKW - then no problems, right!!! If you dont mind mixing it up, try a split stay, then at least you get your OKW fix and try something new to see how you like it.

pennilessinpa
03-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I LOVE to resort hop but DH hates it! Our home is BCV which I love almost everything about it, especially its access to places. However, ds1 loves AKW Kidani and ds2 & dd loves BCV. I'd like to give each of them a try. We have an add-on at SSR but the one time I stayed there (shortly after it opened) I hated it - mostly due to the long waits and bus rides I encountered.

I can't wait to try out BLT. Hopefully this summer we will go to VB.

So ... yes to hopping!

lvanleer
03-15-2010, 08:50 AM
We own at AKV and made our first trip home last year however in January we decided to plan a short trip back to Disney this April and since we had never stayed at an Epcot resort I reserved a 1 bedroom at BWV.....really looking forward to being able to walk to Epcot....take in all the activities that the resort has to offer and seeing the Flower & Garden Festival.

dmoore22
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Gary

Close your eyes and click your heels, then say "There's no place like home. There's no place like home." Home for us is OKW. We've stayed elsewhere which ends up reinforcing our love for OKW. We will visit the other resorts to see what they have to offer but we always rest our weary head at OKW. :thumbsup2

LSchrow
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
we've stayed at almost all the resorts (deluxes, moderates, and DVCs - no values) over the years.
we find ourselves happiest (and busiest - there is just soooooo much to do & see!) at the BWVs. now i just always book where i know our hearts really are:cloud9:

Demosthenes
03-15-2010, 10:29 AM
My wife and I won't stay at the same place twice in a row; we bought into DVC for the variety. We also won't stay at the same non home resort twice before we stay at each of the others, excepting AKV (not a favorite of ours). Just to be clear, we stayed at WLV two Novembers ago, and we loved it, but we won't try to stay there again until we've stayed at BW, BC and OKW again.

homesick187
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
We try to go somewhere different every time. Went THV and BLT over Christmas 09 with the kids. Then we went Poly and OKW in Feb 10. Our goal is to stay at all the resorts at least once.

bobbiwoz
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
On site, we don't own at BLT or OKW, so our trips are usually at "home," but we would stay at any resort if there was availability for our trip! I would love a "Gals" trip in either a treehouse at SSR or 2 bedroom at OKW.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Kris10luvsDisney
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
We bought into DVC in 2006 and didn't have our first trip to our home resort until this past December! (we loved it BTW!). We have stayed at VWL, BCV, BWV & HHI and we have a few nights booked @ AKL kidani village this summer. We have loved all of the resorts that we have stayed at so far, and love that we have choices when we decide on going to WDW. I love the variety that DVC offers us, and like PP'ers have said, it makes each vacation feel different when you stay at different resorts:thumbsup2

bwvBound
03-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Do you resort hop? I love my home resort

Am I in the minority? Do most people resort hop?We resort hop. In fact, every DVC visit in our first five and one-half years of ownership were hopped. We finally got around to visiting our "home resort" but plan to continue our vagabond hopping ways for years to come.

BWV Dreamin
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I bought BWV to always use my points there, and bought BLT to resort hop! Strange I know, but I don't want to waste my precious BWV points. So far I am staying at AKV and HHI with my BLT points. I really don't know when I'll actually stay at BLT with my BLT points!:laughing:

deebits
03-16-2010, 02:44 PM
We are Hoppers also. It is funny our first resort we bought was SSR and we still have yet to stay there. I always book it at the 11 month and then see if anything else opens up at the 7 and so far we have been luck. We have stayed at BLT, AKL, BW, BC, VWL. One day we will get to OKW and SSR

corpcomp
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
We own at BCV but the last three trips were planned so late we could not get in there. :confused3 We have stayed at BWV and SSR and in July we are splitting a trip between BCV (finally) and two nights at BLT or VWL (waitlist). :cool1:

Sammie
03-17-2010, 05:14 AM
we have stayed at every DVC resort and every Disney resort and we have settled at OKW and SSR. Not really interested in anything else at this time. :thumbsup2

pickles
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I dont understand NOT trying the other resorts and then deciding on your favorite and staying there most the time if you like.

You have only tried OKW and no where else? why?

Try the other spots and then you would know for sure OKW is your favorite

we stayed BCV on our first stay(before being DVC folks) we fell in love and bought OKW sight unseen..it was within our budget. We stayed there and loved it. Since then we have stayed at every resort except BLT. There are things I like about each resort. I would say AKV is my favorite. The activities and variety there is what i enjoy
I love the look and feel of OKW but my last trip there in Oct I found out I would not be happy there if I wasnt in a certain area(spec bdg 63/64) I was also surprised to find out I liked SSR way more than i thought I would and probably rate it above my OKW!
Oddly enough BCV doesnt rate as high as I had thought it would based on my first trip there. If i had bought there and stayed only there, while I would be content as I wouldnt have known any better, imagine what i could have missed.
Try them all and then you can know, plus what fun to shake things up a bit!

Hollymom1229
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
We love our two home resorts best without a doubt. I've stayed at SSR twice and will be staying at AKV for the second time this December. We bought in 2004 and since then I've stayed at VWL, BCV, and BWV outside of our two home resorts. In September we'll be trying OKW for the first time. We don't hop while on vacation, once we move in, that's where we stay for the trip. But part of the appeal of ownership for us, was the great variety of resorts available to us.

gillep
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
DH and I just bought DVC last month and I am on a mission to stay at all of the WDW DVC resorts at least once as soon as possible before we even contimplate adding on. To me half the fun is being able to try new things!!!

I figure we are well on our way to my goal as we are doing a BCV/BWV split stay in October and then an AKV Concierge stay in January. Who knows where we will go next!!!!:thumbsup2