PDA

View Full Version : Proof of another DVC at the Contemporary!

monkeyknuckler
03-11-2010, 10:56 PM
You know its gotta be true if it comes from Magical Express, where all the bus drivers are from... Better get out of the South wing before the wrecking ball shows up.
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/monkeyknuckler/BayLakeTowers.jpg

dianeschlicht
03-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Huh??? It only says the ones that are current, so what makes that sign mean there is yet another resort coming?

Sammie
03-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Towers is plural instead of Bay Lake Tower.

wdrl
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
When we left BLT this past Monday, there was only one (1) Tower.

Tara
03-11-2010, 11:26 PM
You're joking, right?

Davids-Coco
03-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Damn those bus drivers! lol! I'm guessing typo.

pinnocchiosdad
03-12-2010, 04:37 AM
I don't see it as a joke. They knocked down the north wing to build BLT why not do the same with the south wing. If you look at the picture you can see that the 2 towers would be the same distance to CR. I stayed at BLT in FEBRUARY. My view was the south garden wing. I would think everytime I looked at it, how old and outdated it seemed.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/DVC%20Bay%20Lake%20Tower%2004.jpg

Muhlenberg
03-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised...the South Wing looks "out of place" and "wrong" now. I really wouldn't be surprised if that hadn't been the plan all along. However, I'd look for more clues than a sign. lol Besides...after construction, the aerial view would look more like a Mickey hat. :cloud9:

stitch'sgirl
03-12-2010, 05:26 AM
You know its gotta be true if it comes from Magical Express, where all the bus drivers are from... Better get out of the South wing before the wrecking ball shows up.
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/monkeyknuckler/BayLakeTowers.jpg

Wow! Good eyes! You must be great at Hidden Mickeys!

Jynohn
03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Going past the South Garden wing on the ferry, it always looked like a sad, gloomy housing project to me. I don't anticipate us buying points at BLT, but I'd be happy to see a second tower just to get rid of that eyesore!

White_Sox_Fan
03-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Of course a major draw to BLT is the Magic Kingdom views. A south tower would be unable to provide such a vista, thus they would not be able to charge a point premium for those rooms. Such a tower may be less economically feasible.

kdepot
03-12-2010, 09:49 AM
After they started BLT I always thought a 2nd tower would be down the line just for balance of the area. So it this happens I thought so already

What if they build a 2nd tower It might not be all DVC.

Now if the tear down the CR and put a 3rd tower up in its place thats your Mickey Hat

DVC_Chris
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I could also forsee problems with members who bought at the North tower, just to get the 11 month booking window (like I did). They build another tower, have it be the same resort, and then there would be twice as many members be eligible to book the MK views at 11 months out. This would probably annoy a lot of current BLT members.

Of course, the more likely answer is someone at the sign shop screwed up.

ssawka
03-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I noticed that on our trip "home" last month, but forgot to post it. I had the same exact thought! :)

ssawka
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I could also forsee problems with members who bought at the North tower, just to get the 11 month booking window (like I did). They build another tower, have it be the same resort, and then there would be twice as many members be eligible to book the MK views at 11 months out. This would probably annoy a lot of current BLT members.

Do you really think DVD/Disney would care if adding another tower makes it more difficult for owners to book a MK room? There job is to build resorts, sell them out, and keep them full. They really don't care whose in what room. Besides, once you close on DVC there isn't much you can do about it except sell your contract, and DVD/Disney dosen't care who owns the contract.

monkeyknuckler
03-12-2010, 10:18 AM
You're joking, right?

Yes. This is one of the signs that directs people to go into the correct lineup at Magical Express. Still only 1 tower out there as of yesterday.

TagsMissy
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Huh??? It only says the ones that are current, so what makes that sign mean there is yet another resort coming?

I had to read it twice but it's plural. :rotfl:

dizfan
03-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Time will tell.

Many people call it Bay Lake Towers so it's possible that it was a simple mistake.

We had two guides in December tell us that Disney drilled some test pylons after BLT opened and results showed the ground at the Wing was not stable enough to hold the weight required for the current Bay Lake Tower.

It may be guides just spreading rumors, but it's true that Disney will have to run tests on the ground there before they would know if they could build there or not. Just because a 3 story building is there, doesn't mean it can hold a 16 story building.

TLPL
03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Going past the South Garden wing on the ferry, it always looked like a sad, gloomy housing project to me. I don't anticipate us buying points at BLT, but I'd be happy to see a second tower just to get rid of that eyesore!

If they build another towel, THAT would be a big eyesore!! Three concrete blocks buildings side by side??? Sure look like govement housing project! :rotfl:
if you people want to add-on more BLT points, why don't you just call your guide and buy them right now?? Why do you need them to build another tower?? It is not like they sold out of all the points!?!?! :confused3

SFLTIGGER
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
We will just have to wait and see. IMHO I think it is a good posibility they may do something like that.

I just think it is extremly funny to see comments here about how the South Wing looks like an eyesore after ALL the posts about how a new 16 story tower would look sooo... out of place and would look sooo.... ugly and be such a terrible eyesore and not match with the "A" Frame building ......
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

rock_doctor
03-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I just can't see it. The Contemporary already looks small next to the current building. Build another one and it will get lost in the mix and since the Contemporary is (basically) their signature building i don't see it happening. It is more likely they would build another half arc next to BLT and have an S shaped building. Then half of that building would be MK view rooms and the other half lake view. My vote is for typo...

sweetdana
03-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I do not believe this is a typo, no way could that pass marketing, and editing.

AND>>>>> I do not beileve anything (EVEN if it was planned up front) will happen until the 1st BLT sells out. (OR SUPER close) Being able to sell the last points is an easy sell for guides. We only have 2 UY left, and will be sold out in 3 months. You'de better buy now, is way easier than.. well actually we have 3 more years of supply as we are building another building.. but buy now anyway?

If it is profitable, they will build it, and if they can make more $$ building at the Poly.. they will build it there. If starting a new one 1/4th a mile down the road ideally results in more $$.. they will go down the lake.. It is a business. Where ever they make the most $$... They will build. It is selling, and resale it is selling way more than, AK, SSR (as prices are higher on resale.) .. It is a logical transition, with way less MK views.. it will make some owners sad. .. With more standand it will make others happier, and in the end if you already bought, well you already bought. Now onto the next customer. .. oh and don't worry we will fix the points to help you want and need an add on that you didn't know you wanted.

La2kw
03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't see a second tower happening. The south wing is geared for the convention goers. I'd bet on a Poly or GF DVC first.

Tara
03-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't see it as a joke. They knocked down the north wing to build BLT why not do the same with the south wing. If you look at the picture you can see that the 2 towers would be the same distance to CR. I stayed at BLT in FEBRUARY. My view was the south garden wing. I would think everytime I looked at it, how old and outdated it seemed.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/DVC%20Bay%20Lake%20Tower%2004.jpg

I see it as a joke. The idea that the sloppy signage in the Magical Express bus area is "proof" there will be a second tower is just silly.

Why not do the same? They might eventually. I stayed at BLT in November and my view was categorized standard but overlooked the Magic Kingdom. I'm guessing a second tower on the site of the south wing would not offer MK views. Unless they built it taller (which would be crazy since it would look out of balance), then they'll have the same number of units but will unlikely be able to sell as many points without the MK view rooms. Perhaps they could balance out the number of points so that the second tower was as profitable as the first...but there's a possibility it wouldn't be. They'd also likely need to expand some services...not sure if this would happen or not.

Also, note that in this map (and if you check satellite views on Google Maps) that the piece of land BLT is built on is larger than the area the south wing now occupies. It doesn't look to me as if the southern pad of land could accommodate a building the same size as BLT.

pinnocchiosdad
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I see it as a joke. The idea that the sloppy signage in the Magical Express bus area is "proof" there will be a second tower is just silly.

Why not do the same? They might eventually. I stayed at BLT in November and my view was categorized standard but overlooked the Magic Kingdom. I'm guessing a second tower on the site of the south wing would not offer MK views. Unless they built it taller (which would be crazy since it would look out of balance), then they'll have the same number of units but will unlikely be able to sell as many points without the MK view rooms. Perhaps they could balance out the number of points so that the second tower was as profitable as the first...but there's a possibility it wouldn't be. They'd also likely need to expand some services...not sure if this would happen or not.

Also, note that in this map (and if you check satellite views on Google Maps) that the piece of land BLT is built on is larger than the area the south wing now occupies. It doesn't look to me as if the southern pad of land could accommodate a building the same size as BLT.

Who said it had to be the same size as BLT, and who said it had to have MK views????

Tara
03-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Yes. This is one of the signs that directs people to go into the correct lineup at Magical Express. Still only 1 tower out there as of yesterday.

Oh, I knew it was a joke, I just didn't know if you knew it was a joke. ;)

Heck, given that Magical Express is operated by Mears, for all we know, Mears makes the signage and it's their typo, not Disney's. Not likely, but I suppose possible. (it looks like Disney-made signage to me, though)

wildernessDad
03-13-2010, 08:37 AM
If they did sell a south tower, those MK views would be even harder to get.

wdrl
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Who said it had to be the same size as BLT, and who said it had to have MK views????

I agree. There is nothing that says a second tower would have to be as big as the current tower, nor that it offer MK views. There are all sorts of ways that Disney could make a second tower very appealing. Instead of offering MK views, a second tower could have a concierge level, much like at AKV. I could see Disney offering special dinner/fireworks cruises on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon that are available only to the concierge level guests. In addition, a second tower might offer other amenities, such as an indoor pool, or an adult-only pool and spa area, especially if it was placed on the roof (Remember all the chatter that arose on these boards when the Disney Files magazine had a photo that "showed" a pool on BLT's roof?). And, of course, these amenities would be available only to DVC members staying on points at BLT.

Chip n Dale's Dad
03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
*IF* a second tower is built, who says it will be DVC? There was a lot of talk over who would get the first tower. Maybe the second tower would go to the Contemporary to make-up for the loss of the north wing. That would would keep DVCers, DVC and the Contemporary people happy, right?

WilsonFlyer
03-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I thought I had read that the south-side would not support a tower?

corpcomp
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I do not believe this is a typo, no way could that pass marketing, and editing.

Remember that Disney does not own Magical Express. It is owned by Mears.

Mears likely does not have the marketing expertise that Disney has and made a simple mistake.

I'm hoping the next Villas will be at the Poly. Tropical theme for those of us not willing to take a 15 hour trip to Hawaii.

Happy Birthday Cat
03-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Signs at WDW are the true way to find out what is on their drawing board. For example, I took a picture of this sign at the Polynesian of the 'OHANA restaurant in December 2006. It is clear that they eventually plan to make it into an Irish Restaurant with the name O'HANA. This would be the perfect week to do it too. Time will tell. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/cdedrick/100_0153.jpg

HBC

Crystal_27
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
I could also forsee problems with members who bought at the North tower, just to get the 11 month booking window (like I did). They build another tower, have it be the same resort, and then there would be twice as many members be eligible to book the MK views at 11 months out.

But think of all those members who are likewise unhappy about not having enough standard views to book at BLT. One of the most complained about aspects about BLT is the fact that the lake and MK views use a ton of points. A second BLT tower offering point charts more in line with the other DVCs would make a lot of DVC owners thrilled. I will be interesting to see how this develops in the next year or so. :thumbsup2

NewDCLGuy
03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't see a second tower happening. Funny, I can't see it NOT happening. BLT has been so popular, and profitable!, I cant imaging Disney not building more. Don't know exactly where they will put it, but where there is will, and $$$ to be made, there's a way.

Tara
03-13-2010, 11:43 AM

No one but me. It certainly doesn't have to offer MK views, which is a good thing because it probably couldn't. IF it were smaller and IF it didn't have MK views, there would be fewer points available to sell. Doesn't seem like a very good choice at this point for DVC when I'm sure there are other locations that would be both more appealing and more profitable.

fishermouse
03-13-2010, 12:28 PM
But think of all those members who are likewise unhappy about not having enough standard views to book at BLT. One of the most complained about aspects about BLT is the fact that the lake and MK views use a ton of points. A second BLT tower offering point charts more in line with the other DVCs would make a lot of DVC owners thrilled. I will be interesting to see how this develops in the next year or so. :thumbsup2
If there is demand and they can make it work they will, SSR did not start out as big as it is now. I can see it happening, actually makes sense if it would work out. A soft ground just means more expense not that it can't be done there is not a lot of bedrock in Fla so most tall buildings have deep reinforced footings. Having said all that I'm not laying bets based on a sign made by a sign company for a third party providder that have a typo.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I honestly don't see them tearing down the South Garden Wing for a few reasons. Unlike the current Bay Lake Tower building they couldn't build another skybridge to the 4th floor because of Chef Mickey's, the Contempo Cafe and the Outer Rim Lounge. The South Garden Wing rooms got fully renovated along with the rooms in the Tower, so you think they were going to spend all that money and all of the sudden get rid of them? Finally it would make it even harder to get a reservation for the Contemporary Tower without the South Garden Wing because it's already a very popular location and they also host a lot of convention groups, so that's why I don't see this being true.

La2kw
03-13-2010, 05:08 PM
*IF* a second tower is built, who says it will be DVC? There was a lot of talk over who would get the first tower. Maybe the second tower would go to the Contemporary to make-up for the loss of the north wing. That would would keep DVCers, DVC and the Contemporary people happy, right?

They don't need to make up the loss of the north wing. One of the reasons that DVC was built there was because the CR was less popular than other resorts and often had deep discounts on the rooms. They also did the same thing with SSR. Disney Institute was also less popular, so they rebuilt it as DVC. I wish they had done the same with the Disney Inn instead of selling it off to the military (not that our military doesn't deserve a lovely resort). I loved that hotel and it was in a great location between the original golf courses.

BigTigger
03-13-2010, 10:57 PM
And, of course, these amenities would be available only to DVC members staying on points at BLT.

Highly unlikely that Disney would restrict high end amenities to DVC only at any resort. That didn't work very well at SSR with tons of DVC members using the Spa locker rooms, sauna, whirlpool etc. without paying any extra for the privilege. Now DVC has 24/7 access to the wieght room only and everything else is fee for use. Besides, Disney already has a high end spa just a two stops away on the monorail at GF.

BigTigger
03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I thought I had read that the south-side would not support a tower?

I think the question is if a tower can be built cost effectively. Any site can support building as long as you can get footings down to the bedrock and as long as you don't encroach wetlands (Disney can get around the wetlands by filling one area and excavating another to replace any "lost" wetlands). A Disney engineer did a presentation to analysts back when the Grand Floridian was proposed. His materials (this was before PowerPoints when you had printed charts) showed by color code the degree of difficulty in building around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. The GF site was a green, from the Contemporary to the campgrounds (where WL was built) was orange, and the Contemporary to the TTC was red. The red area was due to the number of piers needed, possible monorail relocation, and limits to the height of buildings in that area (did Disney have a zoning master plan for WDW that they have to live by?).

I have seen nothing as comprehensive as that presentation in the age of the internet.

pinnocchiosdad
03-14-2010, 05:02 AM
No one but me. It certainly doesn't have to offer MK views, which is a good thing because it probably couldn't. IF it were smaller and IF it didn't have MK views, there would be fewer points available to sell. Doesn't seem like a very good choice at this point for DVC when I'm sure there are other locations that would be both more appealing and more profitable.

I always think of all that land between GF and MK right along side the monorail track. Perhaps the ground is too marshy.

pinnocchiosdad
03-14-2010, 05:21 AM
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31/joegafa/cr.jpg

Dean
03-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm sure it would be a consideration, esp when it comes time to redo the Norh side again. The other question is that wasn't there a larger resort planned on that site at one point and had to be scrapped due to the underlying stability of the land? I realize this was a question on the south side as well and they (hopefully) solved the issue there.

In theory I could see it happening. I'm sure they will if they can work it out technically and think they can sell it. I do suspect they'll look at other locations first like the land between the TTC and the Poly or even convert some of the Poly buildings. A YC add on might also be a possibility. I could even see some direct theme park related locations as a possibility.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
03-14-2010, 01:58 PM
They don't need to make up the loss of the north wing. One of the reasons that DVC was built there was because the CR was less popular than other resorts and often had deep discounts on the rooms.I don't think that's true because as far as the CR being "more heavily discounted," I just don't believe it. Public and pin code discounts are never only for one resort, they're usually for a broad range of resorts. The CR is a convention resort and frequently the Tower is booked many months in advance and the SGW books quickly because it's the least expensive monorail resort and the rooms are identical to the Tower rooms. When resort rates are raised every year, the CR's rates increase at the same rate as other resorts; they aren't "discounted" more or go up less.

I don't know what the CR's occupancy rates are compared with the other Deluxes (Disney won't make these figures public), but unless you actually know this, you're just guessing that it's "less popular than the other resorts".

hakepb
03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
I do not think less popular is a guess. It seemed every WDW travel publication I've read always talked about CR often being a very deluxe "budget" selection. Monorail resort, rooms 2nd largest to the GF and prices more in line with the smaller WL and AKL rooms...
If the CR were more popular then Disney would keep prices more similiar to the GF and Poly and, and it would not be as recommended by so many sources as a decent budget alternative. I'm not sure if you ever hear, "well, I booked the GF, but hopefully something opens up in the CR"

DenLo
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
When we stay at BLT from 3/1 - 3/8, we often heard people call it Bay Lake Towers, guests and cast members. They do it without thinking about the fact there is only one tower. I'd say whoever made up the sign was one of those people or got the information for the sign from someone who says the name wrong.

I do like the idea of a little tower with a concierge and some cheaper DVC room categories. Then we could have the best of both worlds. Being near MK and having the option of using less points or more points for a view or going lux and staying at a concierge DVC room.

La2kw
03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't think that's true because as far as the CR being "more heavily discounted," I just don't believe it. Public and pin code discounts are never only for one resort, they're usually for a broad range of resorts. The CR is a convention resort and frequently the Tower is booked many months in advance and the SGW books quickly because it's the least expensive monorail resort and the rooms are identical to the Tower rooms. When resort rates are raised every year, the CR's rates increase at the same rate as other resorts; they aren't "discounted" more or go up less.

I don't know what the CR's occupancy rates are compared with the other Deluxes (Disney won't make these figures public), but unless you actually know this, you're just guessing that it's "less popular than the other resorts".

Of course I'm guessing because I don't work for Disney. However, having had plenty of experience paying for resort rooms all over Disney property for the past 20 years of so, I do remember getting much better discounts at the Contemporary, the Disney Institute and the Disney Inn than at other resorts. So it's an educated guess. All resorts can be discounted, but CR was always the most discounted in the monorail resort category. You've been on these boards long enough to have seen all the negative comments regarding the CR as well. I'm not knocking the CR, it happens to be one of my favorites, even before the BLT was added. I loved getting a room at the CR for $130/night, especially when the rates at the moderates were still $120/night for the same time frame. Those days are gone now with the BLT addition, which I believe was Disney's intent- make the Contemporary more desirable by selling DVC. It appears that it worked.

twinklebug
03-14-2010, 04:34 PM
I think the question is if a tower can be built cost effectively. Any site can support building as long as you can get footings down to the bedrock and as long as you don't encroach wetlands (Disney can get around the wetlands by filling one area and excavating another to replace any "lost" wetlands). A Disney engineer did a presentation to analysts back when the Grand Floridian was proposed. His materials (this was before PowerPoints when you had printed charts) showed by color code the degree of difficulty in building around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. The GF site was a green, from the Contemporary to the campgrounds (where WL was built) was orange, and the Contemporary to the TTC was red. The red area was due to the number of piers needed, possible monorail relocation, and limits to the height of buildings in that area (did Disney have a zoning master plan for WDW that they have to live by?).

I have seen nothing as comprehensive as that presentation in the age of the internet.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that presentation!

BTW - my understanding of the FL terrain was that it's comprised mostly of sand covered in dirt from vegetation over thousands of years of growth. There's rock under all that?

BigTigger
03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that presentation!

BTW - my understanding of the FL terrain was that it's comprised mostly of sand covered in dirt from vegetation over thousands of years of growth. There's rock under all that?

If you go deep enough there's bedrock everywhere, but I mis-spoke here. The engineer referenced "piers" which I believe are large concrete pours below grade that support the structure above. Depending on the size of the structure these can be quite massive. They can be easily built in wetlands by mixing hydraulic cement into the regular mix to allow the concrete to harden even in water.

mic_KY_mouses
03-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the chuckle....Being part Irish I thought is was extra funny as well as timely! :laughing:

Signs at WDW are the true way to find out what is on their drawing board. For example, I took a picture of this sign at the Polynesian of the 'OHANA restaurant in December 2006. It is clear that they eventually plan to make it into an Irish Restaurant with the name O'HANA. This would be the perfect week to do it too. Time will tell. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/cdedrick/100_0153.jpg

HBC

White_Sox_Fan
03-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Less points means less money, especially if the tower cost more to build because of soil issues. Also less total points would mean higher MF's which would be shared across both towers.

cutakenta
03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
They don't need to make up the loss of the north wing. One of the reasons that DVC was built there was because the CR was less popular than other resorts and often had deep discounts on the rooms. They also did the same thing with SSR. Disney Institute was also less popular, so they rebuilt it as DVC. I wish they had done the same with the Disney Inn instead of selling it off to the military (not that our military doesn't deserve a lovely resort). I loved that hotel and it was in a great location between the original golf courses.

I have stayed at CR many times and I don't remember getting deep discounts. With a Florida Discount and or Passholder Discount I think the lowest rate was I got was $229 south wing 4 years ago. This was the main reason I bought into BLT.

With the exception of a $109 a night rate Disney offered after 9/11 for Deluxe I just don't know of any deep discounts.

Jynohn
03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
I have stayed at CR many times and I don't remember getting deep discounts. With a Florida Discount and or Passholder Discount I think the lowest rate was I got was $229 south wing 4 years ago. This was the main reason I bought into BLT.

With the exception of a $109 a night rate Disney offered after 9/11 for Deluxe I just don't know of any deep discounts.

When Shades of Green was being rehabbed, we were offered a rate of approx. $70/night for the North Tower wing. That was around 2002 I think.

cutakenta
03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Of course I'm guessing because I don't work for Disney. However, having had plenty of experience paying for resort rooms all over Disney property for the past 20 years of so, I do remember getting much better discounts at the Contemporary, the Disney Institute and the Disney Inn than at other resorts. So it's an educated guess. All resorts can be discounted, but CR was always the most discounted in the monorail resort category. You've been on these boards long enough to have seen all the negative comments regarding the CR as well. I'm not knocking the CR, it happens to be one of my favorites, even before the BLT was added. I loved getting a room at the CR for $130/night, especially when the rates at the moderates were still $120/night for the same time frame. Those days are gone now with the BLT addition, which I believe was Disney's intent- make the Contemporary more desirable by selling DVC. It appears that it worked.

What year did you get $130 a night at CR?

This is from a random date I just pulled up:

Price Match Guarantee Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa 4.0 / 5 from 26 guest ratings 1700 yards from Walt Disney World
Family-friendly
Special rate: Book now and save!
Full description | See similar hotels
Hotel Info: 866-767-0278 14 miles to city center
City guide & map

Walt Disney World
Orlando area gym
Internet
pool
restaurant …

Room type (see all) Fri Sat
Garden view $315 $315
Average nightly rate
$315 Select

Price Match Guarantee Disney's Contemporary Resort 4.4 / 5 from 50 guest ratings 1400 yards from Walt Disney World
Family-friendly
Hotel Info: 866-925-8676 13 miles to city center
City guide & map

Walt Disney World
Orlando area gym
Internet
pool
restaurant …

Garden Wing Garden View $405 $405
Average nightly rate
$405 Select

Price Match Guarantee Disney's Polynesian Resort 4.1 / 5 from 18 guest ratings 500 yards from Walt Disney World
Family-friendly
Hotel Info: 866-538-0251 13 miles to city center
City guide & map

Walt Disney World
Orlando area gym
Internet
pool
restaurant …

Theme Park View $387 $387
Average nightly rate
$387 Select

cutakenta
03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
When Shades of Green was being rehabbed, we were offered a rate of approx. $70/night for the North Tower wing. That was around 2002 I think.

Was that the miltary discount for Shades of Green?

Jynohn
03-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Was that the miltary discount for Shades of Green?

It was offered as the military "overflow" rate. Meaning that it was higher than we would have paid at SOG, but still a discount over rack rate.

cutakenta
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
It was offered as the military "overflow" rate. Meaning that it was higher than we would have paid at SOG, but still a discount over rack rate.

Okay, but you pay on rank and pay right. So someone that is an E4 pays much less for the same room as say O7.

La2kw
03-18-2010, 10:20 PM

I've paid as low as $130/night with my AP discount. You've missed out on some great rates! $229 is a good rate also, when you compare it to the rates at the Poly and GF during the same time frame.

La2kw
03-18-2010, 10:23 PM
What year did you get $130 a night at CR?

This is from a random date I just pulled up:

Price Match Guarantee Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa 4.0 / 5 from 26 guest ratings 1700 yards from Walt Disney World
Family-friendly
Hotel Info: 866-767-0278 14 miles to city center
City guide & map

Walt Disney World
Orlando area gym
Internet
pool
restaurant

Garden view $315 $315
Average nightly rate
$315 Select

Price Match Guarantee Disney's Contemporary Resort 4.4 / 5 from 50 guest ratings 1400 yards from Walt Disney World
Family-friendly
Hotel Info: 866-925-8676 13 miles to city center
City guide & map

Walt Disney World
Orlando area gym
Internet
pool
restaurant

Garden Wing Garden View $405 $405
Average nightly rate
$405 Select

Price Match Guarantee Disney's Polynesian Resort 4.1 / 5 from 18 guest ratings 500 yards from Walt Disney World
Family-friendly
Hotel Info: 866-538-0251 13 miles to city center
City guide & map

Walt Disney World
Orlando area gym
Internet
pool
restaurant

Theme Park View $387 $387
Average nightly rate
$387 Select

I have no idea what you are quoting, but I'm sure I know how much I have paid for my hotel rooms. The lowest rate I paid there was back probably about 10 years ago.

dizfan
03-19-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm sure it would be a consideration, esp when it comes time to redo the Norh side again. The other question is that wasn't there a larger resort planned on that site at one point and had to be scrapped due to the underlying stability of the land? I realize this was a question on the south side as well and they (hopefully) solved the issue there.

Dean, I think you're referring to the Mediterranean (Walt's concept in the 70's) or Venetian (Eisner's vision in the 90's) Resort that was supposed to go in between the Contemporary and TTS.

Quote from wdwhistory.com...
"Disney's Venetian Resort was a resort that was to be built on Seven Seas Lagoon by 1971 but was pushed back to 1976 (1976). It was then scrapped due to costs and the 1973 (1973) oil embargo. The oil embargo also stopped construction on the Asian and Persian resort. The Grand Floridian was built and did so well, Michael Eisner wanted an even better resort. The resort was scrapped and the location was to become the Mediterranean Resort. In the early 1990s, land was cleared for its construction. It wasn't built because it was found during construction was that the foundation pilings would have needed to be deeper than Spaceship Earth.

The Venetian was to be built on land between the Transportation and Ticket Center and the lake bridge on Seven Seas Lagoon. This would have made it a monorail stop between the Contemporary and the TTC."

Reports are that Disney even cleared the land. Then, they tried to drill for bedrock and discovered it would have taken very, very deep footings. It was not considered cost effective, so they cancelled the project.

cutakenta
03-19-2010, 07:40 AM
I have no idea what you are quoting, but I'm sure I know how much I have paid for my hotel rooms. The lowest rate I paid there was back probably about 10 years ago.

That is from hotels.com 5/8-5/10.

Okay, 10 years ago sounds right. The last time I stayed on cash at CR was 15 months ago, 40 % bounce back offer, $305 a night mid December.

La2kw
03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
That is from hotels.com 5/8-5/10.

Okay, 10 years ago sounds right. The last time I stayed on cash at CR was 15 months ago, 40 % bounce back offer, $305 a night mid December.

Yes, the rates have definitely increased since BLT was announced and built. I guess the strategy I guessed on worked.

yitbos96bb
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't destroying the southwing take away alot of rooms from the Hotel? Maybe if they did takeout the wing, the new tower would be part of the Hotel.

yitbos96bb
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Funny, I can't see it NOT happening. BLT has been so popular, and profitable!, I cant imaging Disney not building more. Don't know exactly where they will put it, but where there is will, and $$$ to be made, there's a way.

See, I see them spending the money to develop a new property on the monorail line... I know there was a proposal years ago, but it never got built... perhaps with point costs getting higher, they will revisit the idea for a dedicated DVC monorail line.

I'm still hoping for Poly.... just not now because I can't afford to add it on!

spiceycat
03-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, the rates have definitely increased since BLT was announced and built. I guess the strategy I guessed on worked.

i agreed with you both the CR and AKL would discount at the last minute there unsold rooms. the CR did it for many years. the AKL since it was build.
both needed DVC to get rid of excess rooms. It worked. It worked remarkable well.

have not heard of AKL upgrading anyone since AKV was up and running. and have not seem or heard of any more last minute discounts for CR.

disney does not like last minute discounts.

you can look back (okay maybe not) on the DVC board here (it was not separate then - so you probably can't) - it was discussed several times before BLT became a reality. pretty sure there were last minute prices for both akl and cr.

my last stay at cr was on a package thru a travel agency - we got a big upgrade. we were to be in a standard room refused to pay more. We got the MK tower thru an upgrade. while CR still does this at times. It does not need to anymore.

has anyone heard of a moderate DVC. since the price of points is so high and disney always want to attract people who have not been. really think now is the time to do a moderate for those who can no longer afford the regular DVC.

spiceycat
03-19-2010, 11:28 PM
See, I see them spending the money to develop a new property on the monorail line... I know there was a proposal years ago, but it never got built... perhaps with point costs getting higher, they will revisit the idea for a dedicated DVC monorail line.

I'm still hoping for Poly.... just not now because I can't afford to add it on!

still would like one along the Epcot monrail. so like BLT it would have easy access (thru the monrails) to both Epcot and MK. someone say it couldn't be build - because of the design of the monrails. really did not understand that. though it could be like the resort monrail now??

La2kw
03-20-2010, 05:31 PM
i agreed with you both the CR and AKL would discount at the last minute there unsold rooms. the CR did it for many years. the AKL since it was build.
both needed DVC to get rid of excess rooms. It worked. It worked remarkable well.

have not heard of AKL upgrading anyone since AKV was up and running. and have not seem or heard of any more last minute discounts for CR.

disney does not like last minute discounts.

you can look back (okay maybe not) on the DVC board here (it was not separate then - so you probably can't) - it was discussed several times before BLT became a reality. pretty sure there were last minute prices for both akl and cr.

my last stay at cr was on a package thru a travel agency - we got a big upgrade. we were to be in a standard room refused to pay more. We got the MK tower thru an upgrade. while CR still does this at times. It does not need to anymore.

has anyone heard of a moderate DVC. since the price of points is so high and disney always want to attract people who have not been. really think now is the time to do a moderate for those who can no longer afford the regular DVC.

I would love a POFQ DVC as long as the points per night were less than the value units at AKV.

Reginak
03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
When I heard the previous name for Bay Lake Tower (Kingdom Tower), I assumed that there would be a second tower built named Magic Tower. Also the footprint would have been a giant hidden mickey.
Regina

yitbos96bb
03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
still would like one along the Epcot monrail. so like BLT it would have easy access (thru the monrails) to both Epcot and MK. someone say it couldn't be build - because of the design of the monrails. really did not understand that. though it could be like the resort monrail now??

Is the land along that way buildable? I actually never thought about building that way... I wonder what the enviromental impact reports would say. Definitely an interesting idea.

corpcomp
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Is the land along that way buildable? I actually never thought about building that way... I wonder what the enviromental impact reports would say. Definitely an interesting idea.

I just wish they would build a monorail connecting AK to the other parks, maybe connecting to Epcot. It would be soooo easier to get around. I hear the monorail drivers are much more connected to the rumors than the bus drivers!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: