PDA

View Full Version : Where would you move?

Reginak
03-10-2010, 02:33 AM
We are selling our business and will have approximately $400,000 to start over.:banana::banana::banana:

If you were in my shoes where would you move and what would you do?

My husband keeps asking me where do I want to move but I don't know.

What would your dream job and location be if you weren't going to be rich but could just pick up and start over?

Regina

mtdewhead
03-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Celebration, Florida. I've spent the cold, cold winter in Ohio daydreaming about doing that very thing.

Mickey'sApprentice
03-10-2010, 04:35 AM
well when I finish grad school...I want to either...

be a college professor or
run a nonprofit for economic development

My dream disney job....either imagineer or Behind the Scenes guide (You know the folks that tour the parks with people in the little plaid outfits.) I wouldn't mind having a go at Jim Lewis' job.

Hubby regulates municipal water systems, so it would only make sense for him to be a Disney drinking water tester/regulator, filtration system kind of guy.

Mickey'sApprentice
03-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Seriously though...IF I had money to invest...

there are these guys locally that made a fortune selling fried catfish out of a catering truck. They set up in Wal-Mart parking lots within about 100 mile radius and partnered with boy scout troops, cheerleaders, etc. The brilliance of their marketing plan was that all of their advertising was free, they had practically no overhead, free labor, and a ton of pre-sales. Now that's a business plan! Oh yeah, and the catfish is delicious!

jmpurdy
03-10-2010, 07:24 AM
I would choose somewhere with a view of the ocean (always moving) or lake. Celebration intrigues me too. Our daughter jokes that when she gets her nursing degree, we should all move down there. I'd go in a heartbeat!

JasonDVC
03-10-2010, 07:29 AM
We have family that live in Celebration. It is a great place to live! If not there...I have always wanted to buy a condo in Naples, FL. :thumbsup2

Crystal_27
03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
What would your dream job and location be if you weren't going to be rich but could just pick up and start over?

Regina

This sounds very silly because it's Disney-related, but I would love to work in Disney's Legal Department. I'm a litigation legal secretary for a large law firm here in Atlanta but my dream job would be working with Disney's attorneys sifting through its legal issues...how awesome would that be?!? :woohoo:

To the OP, congratulations on the sale of your business and enjoy finding a new profession! :flower3:

Coach81
03-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Orlando florida!!!!

Inkmahm
03-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Where would I move to? I wouldn't move. I'm happy where I am. Why does selling your business mean you have to move? If you like where you are, can't you start a new business or do something there?

Anjelica
03-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Colorado - My husband has been dying to get out there for years. But its not the right time in our lives to do so.

Uncleromulus
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Part of me would like somewhere in New Mexico--Santa Fe maybe.
Another part tho would like the Gulf Coast of Florida--Ft. Myers area.

nickspace
03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I would park the money somewhere safe for 6 months and think through the move very carefully. The best thing to do when you come into some money is absolutely nothing. After 6 months you will be thinking with a clear mind.

Starr W.
03-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I would park the money somewhere safe for 6 months and think through the move very carefully. The best thing to do when you come into some money is absolutely nothing. After 6 months you will be thinking with a clear mind.

Good advice, when I sold my business 10 yrs ago, I just took it easy for a few months, let the money sit for awhile, then started laddering some bonds for income(had a few more $$ than the OP). Didn't go nuts and jump into the stock market whole hog, buy a huge McMansion or move cross country.

10 yrs later, still in original house, managed to ride out the financial turmoil of the last decade rather well. Hey I'm just getting around to trading in my 98 Merc wagon that I was driving back in 2000. Biggest expenditures, redid my kitchen and bought DVC.

So it pays to take a deep breath and think things through.

We talked about moving but with having older parents(both DH and I) and rather clueless siblings locally we thought it best to stay put. Now that the last of them past away last summer, we are getting around to thinking about relocating.

crisi
03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
We probably wouldn't move, and if we were to "start over" in terms of finding a different job, it would be dependant on my husband getting a job there. His field is rather specialized and there aren't too many of 'him' out there - which makes him very employable, but we couldn't be picky about location.

Florida would be one of the last places I'd choose to live though. Possibly Portland, Oregon. Santa Fe, New Mexico. Believe it or not, Fargo, North Dakota (hot economy, small town atmosphere - as long as you can afford to flee the winter for a week or two). Madison, Wisconsin (similar to Fargo, beautiful around there).

dallastxcpa
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
We have already started our "dream" career. After being in IT for 20 years my husband is now a photographer. It has been slow going in this economy but very enjoyable. I am still working in corporate america but help him in my spare time.

Our dream location is the florida keys. We would move in a heart beat if the money/circumstances were right. Suprisingly our three teens are very keen on the idea it's other parties that would stop us (x-spouses are always a problem) :headache:

twinklebug
03-10-2010, 10:33 AM
This sounds very silly because it's Disney-related, but I would love to work in Disney's Legal Department. I'm a litigation legal secretary for a large law firm here in Atlanta but my dream job would be working with Disney's attorneys sifting through its legal issues...how awesome would that be?!? :woohoo:

To the OP, congratulations on the sale of your business and enjoy finding a new profession! :flower3:

I have to laugh, legal issues bore me and give me headaches so your dream job would me my nightmare, but I think I can top you with the bordom factor... I'd love to work in the IT dept (programming and systems development/maintenance) for Disney. Celebration Florida is beautiful but horribly overpriced, I really took a liking to a town called Clermont (family there), or if looking for something with more of a wooded feel, Montverde is very nice and older.

Since Crystal and the OP are both from the south I'm sure they're aware, but to others who may be considering a move and not know: Be aware - bugs grow BIG in the south. We've seen spiders the size of a man's palm... and roaches... in the south, they fly.

keishashadow
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
We are selling our business and will have approximately $400,000 to start over.:banana::banana::banana:

Regina

depends, is this windfall a retirement type thing or more of a career move?

if you want to still work, since you were successful in your business:thumbsup2 i'd think another startup of same type (where-ever your dreams take you & cost of living is bearable;)) would be a smooth move:)

Deb & Bill
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Back to Montana and maybe work for the National Park Service.

Halle
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Celebration, Florida. I've spent the cold, cold winter in Ohio daydreaming about doing that very thing.

Unfortunately I don't think $400,000 would go far in Celebration. I really wish it would, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

delaneyc52
03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I would live anywhere that doesn't have taxes as high as New York....oh wait.....that's everywhere else isn't it!! :rotfl:

arthur06
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
we dont have nearly enough info to help you make a decision... how old are you? do you have kids?

I would like to add a Pharmacy Degree to my personal resume...

I guess what do you love to do? Right now I manage a restaurant/catering business and wouldnt mind owning an "upscale" rastaurant and catering business...

HannaBelle
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Maui...in a heart beat...

What do you love to do? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Go to the Small Business Administration website and do some serious reading.

I agree we need more info to offer a serious assessment.

calorin
03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Fun thread to ponder "what if?"....but I agree we need more info on who you really are at heart. What is your passion? What is favorite climate? What are you and your spouse's trades/talents?

We thought about picking up and moving our lives to Louisville, KY this past summer after a wonderful vacation there...I just didn't have the heart to leave my family :sad2: A truly beautiful city though!

Give us more info if you like, but accept my best wishes whatever you decide!

Carolyn

bumbershoot
03-11-2010, 12:08 AM

Definitely.

Be aware - bugs grow BIG in the south. ... and roaches... in the south, they fly.

I have to second that. I had to erase the bit about the...other creepy crawly b/c I just can't be part of writing that word, but yes, to the roaches (palmetto bugs), they most definitely fly, and they are huge.

I wouldn't move to Florida at all, though I'm sure we'll enjoy our visit. If I were moving anywhere closer to a Disney park I'd move towards Anaheim, but there too, 400K wouldn't go far *at all*.

I already made this decision once, and here I am in western WA! Close to water, Rainier, the Olympics, islands...hiking, no state tax, etc etc etc. And now they are really working on the transit infrastructure, so we don't have to be tethered to our cars as much. DH is from this area and still loves it, so that's his decision too.

Now if you're thinking overseas, well, start looking into what you have to do to move legally, what the taxes will end up being, how you can live on what you have and would earn, etc etc.

You just have to figure out what you love, how you want to live, and then start whittling it down to the places that fit those things best!

Crystal_27
03-11-2010, 06:39 AM
I have to laugh, legal issues bore me and give me headaches so your dream job would me my nightmare, but I think I can top you with the bordom factor... I'd love to work in the IT dept (programming and systems development/maintenance) for Disney.

LOL - I think your reaction is typical of how most would feel about my job. :rotfl: I think that it would be cool, though, to have a DVC DIS-er in Disney's IT Department - - maybe our complaints would actually be heard and Disney's "enhancements" would actually help. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

dmoore22
03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow! A dream job? I'd like to pick and grin playing the guitar and/or 5 string banjo with the wandering musicians in Frontierland. Not quite sure where I'd like to live. Celebration intrigues me but has a kind of "Stepford" quality about it.

njtinkmom
03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Actually hubby and I dream of retiring somewhere near Disney, he wants to drive a Disney Bus, and I want to work in a park - Tour Guide would be good, maybe DVC - who knows - but the employees all look so happy! ;) I want what they have!

KAT4DISNEY
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Believe it or not, Fargo, North Dakota (hot economy, small town atmosphere - as long as you can afford to flee the winter for a week or two).

Not! :faint: I attended college in Moorhead, MN and it would take a very rare set of circumstances (and a whole lot of kicking and screaming) for me to move back for year round living! Brrrrrrrrrr! Love the fall and spring is good when the river isn't flooding though.

Obviously dream places are personal choices OP. I'd also love Maui. Other than that I live in my dream place - Reno/Tahoe.

heatherlynn444
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I actually don't WANT to live too close to disney for fear it would lose it's magic. Other palces in FL on the beach maybe, or in the mtns. in the carolinas would be nice.

rutgers1
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
My wife and I have this dream of moving to Florida and working for Disney when we retire. That dream has taken a bit of a hit in recent years as we have had a chance to drive around the state a bit more. We really haven't found a place that we'd want to call home yet.

Now we are thinking of selling our home here in Jersey and buying a condo in Florida and another condo in this area but closer to the beach. No matter what, I need to spend my winters - or at least a chunk of them - in warmer weather. There is SO much to love about the New York City area, but the winters have never grown on me.

Husurdady
03-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Regina

Don't move, stay put. Dream job,you asked......it's called RETIREMENT......work at it. Retired at age 50,[1998]..........life is good.

adminjedi
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Stateside:
Best places to own your own biz (takes into consideration property taxes, minimum wages, personal and capital gains taxes) Well, South Dakota is number one, but who wants to live there? That leaves,
Nevada, Florida, Texas.
IF we had lived in Florida last year, we would have paid $20K LESS in taxes!!!
We probably would choose Texas - you can do whatever you want with your property, it is between the two coasts.

Out of the country:
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Beautiful, warmer than Florida, no income tax, no capital gains tax, British territory, english primary language, US$ currency, lowest caribbean crime rate. But SHHHHH, don't tell anybody 'cause we want to keep it a secret until we buy our place there!

robertdangelo
03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
My wife has often said... she wishes there was a doughnut & Bagel delivery service available at WDW. You place your order a day ahead... fresh baked goods(& cream cheese) delivered right to your resort 1st thing in the AM!

acourtwdw
03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
USVI and open a bar called "FlipFlops". That would be my dream :)

Tink-n-Belle
03-12-2010, 01:35 PM
My dream is to retire in four years with enough money NOT to work!!:rotfl2:

Hey I can dream right?:wizard: with some pixie dust it just might come true.

I guess the world is your playground now.

You could always buy a motorhome and tour the country for a few years and pick up odd jobs along the way. That way you can see the USA and settle down in your favorite spot.

Or you can pick a warm sunny spot and settle down there. That is where I want to be, somewhere in Florida. There is just something about Florida that is so magically, (and not just Disney). I love the Florida beach and the warm breezes, the palm trees and the slower pace of life.

HAVE FUN!!!! Hopefully I will be joining you in a few years!!!!

Reginak
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I honestly just wanted to know what you guys would do.

But it would also be interesting to hear what you would do in our situation.

We live in a small town in Texas. We like Texas but do not love our town for a variety of reasons. We both came to the area because of our jobs. Speaking of jobs, the business that we are selling is a funeral business and my husband is burnt out and doesn't want to be a funeral director anymore.

He has considered a lot of careers from helicopter pilot to chef to teaching, but he is concerned that the expense for the education and time it takes for him to work his way up to a decent salary will deplete our funds too fast. (We have four children and one is at an expensive residential therapeutic boys ranch.)

So, we are considering an online business so location shouldn't matter too much, and we can always work as a funeral director and as a teacher if the other business doesn't work out.

It's funny how are choices have changed over the year: during the hot, hot summer, we dreamed of Colorado and Seattle - once winter set in, Florida began to look really good.

We have looked at Europe, South America and Australia. We are currently concerned about Europe's economy ant the taxes which may result, and Australia will probably not work out for various reasons.

Currently our favorite choices are:
Florida (beaches and my husband thinks that I am in love with the Mouse - I DO love him but I am not obsessed with him). I also worry about tiring of WDW and losing my favorite vacation destination.

Waco, Tx - my hometown
My husband thinks that it might be nice to live near my family.

Chile, South America
Stable economy with little or no corruption that is on the rise, safe, nice people. It is also supposed to be cheap to live there but no mortgages in Chile so will have to pay cash for a home or rent. The only problems are that the online business may not work due to shipping concerns to America so we will have to find another line of work. Also, our family probably won't be able to visit very much, and whatever job we get may keep us from traveling much.

We have also considered the Carolinas and Georgia.

It is the first time in our life that we can choose where we want to live and work not just follow a job or family.

Do we chase an adventure or go home?

What would you do?

I like hearing your dreams and what you would do in my place.

Thank you,

Regina

ToddyLu
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
:) Would DH be interested in nursing?? Caring for the living instead of the dead?? He could be an RN in 2 years getting an Assoc degree and then work anywhere he wanted. He could even get a dream job like being a nurse on a helicopter. You can also teach as a nurse. Male nurses are very popular and usually make more than females since they work ICU. My brother wanted to be a dietician or nutritionist--I suggested nursing because I was in at it at the time after getting a B.A. I couldn't use. He is now a nurse practitioner and actually got a medical degree in Antigua recently. He won't practice medicine but he does have the degree.
I used my B.A in psychology for coursework I needed for nursing and was done in 2 years with one extra semester thrown in. I then certified in Wounds, Ostomies and Continence as my specialty. So I get to lecture, nurse, manage and develope. Just a thought he might could use.....and lord knows he already knows how to deal with people at their worst time.

I also live in a great location, except for hurricanes, 100 miles east of New Orleans and 100 west of Pensacola....can you say...par-tay

5forDiz
03-12-2010, 08:24 PM
......There is SO much to love about the New York City area, but the winters have never grown on me.

Yep, I hear you on this neighbor, especially after all the snow this area has experienced this winter :faint:

DonnaL
03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I agree with rutgers1...........this aging body needs to feel warmth during the winter months......however, I don't even know if we would even buy anything initially......maybe the first year or two just rent a place for the worst two months (Jan and Feb). Initially, we thought maybe it would be central FL somewhere near WDW......now we're not sure. We definitely do plan to downsize no matter what.......we have a 4 bdrm house with a very large yard......way too much work as we approach our late 50's......we're checking out townhouses nearby and also thinking maybe the Carolinas......both North and South Carolina treat retirees pretty good........tax wise......and property is pretty reasonably priced and I'm quite sure winter heating costs are not nearly as high as PA!

Reginak
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
He has thought of nursing and may consider it again, but he has trouble with the sight of blood in the living. His doctor says that it is always the tall guys. So, I have to doctor all of the children's cuts and scrapes. We both think that if he is a nurse that the problem will probably not be an issue, since often people are able to handle a lot more in times of need. I know that baby diapers seriously grossed me out until I had my first child but I was able to handle that.

Thank you,

Regina

ChrisMouse
03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I actually love where I live, so it would be hard to tempt me away. Colorado is so beautiful. Our mountains are terrific, and offer so much beauty and recreation. Don't be fooled by our weather...it can be hot in summer (not the wet hot of Florida, but still hot in the high 90's most of the summer). We have sunshine year round, though, and even when we get a big snow storm it melts quickly.

That said, I think I might love to live in Seattle. It seems so lovely and green there, and I have always loved the rain. My skin might not dry out the way it does here. I'd love to be near the water. However, I've heard it's expensive to live there (not that it's cheap to live here). I think with $400K to spend, you should try to find somewhere the cost of living is pretty cheap. I've heard wonderful things about Oregon. Pretty like Washington state, but possibly a better cost of living.

Have fun with the adventure...I love talking about it since it's someone else's adventure, but I'd probably just sock the money away somewhere safe and then stay put. :lmao:

The one thing I know I wouldn't do is move to Florida. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to visit there, but the magic would go out the window if I could be there all the time. DH and I joke about retiring half the year down there and working at WDW (Maybe all of us DIS'ers dream this way) but I bet it wouldn't be as much fun to be on that side of the magic. I prefer to take my wonderful vacations down there...plus I doubt I could stand the heat of the summers.

Good luck!

Reginak
03-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I can handle the heat with air conditioning and palmetto bugs after living in Texas for 45 years, but I worry about the snow. I also hate wet cold - dry cold wasn't so bad. I have lived in central Texas (Waco), west Texas (Lubbock for college) and now east texas so I have experienced both.

I know, we are definitely looking at places with a low cost of living.

As for Florida, I have decided that I will be careful about how much time I will spend at WDW so that it still stays fresh to me and I don't tire of it. Odds are, we will be at least an hour or so away since we will probably buy a home with a couple of acres or more this time.

Regina

Quilter007
03-13-2010, 02:03 AM
I work remotely and DH is full-time dad. My boss said a few years ago that I could work anywhere and it wouldn't matter. I said, OK and sold our condo 20 minutes from DL :sad1: and we moved our little boys to a small town in Wyoming. It was a little crazy, but we sold at the TOP of the real estate market in California and paid cash for a nice sized home in a the type of neighborhood that no longer exists in California. We literally can't buy the environment that our kids have now. Our kids are now growing up close to their aunts and uncles. They miss their California Grandma -- so we go see her often and visit DL at the same time! :cool1: Now that I can drive myself around and don't have to walk 2 miles to Jr High (uphill both ways....) the winters aren't so bad. The people are lovely. We will stay here after our kids grow up, if our kids move somewhere else? I don't know. DH was born and raised in S. Cal and I lived there for my entire adult life until moving back to WY. We'll just have to see. The important thing is to adapt to the circumstances of wherever you are living -- otherwise, you will never be happy there.

I will say that moving from an urban area to a much smaller town is quite an adjustment. It's been five and half years and some days we are still adjusting! Not as much, but there are still some days when we wonder what we have gotten ourselves into....and we live in one of the big "cities" for Wyoming! Kinda crazy!

Good luck with whatever you choose. How does that Chinese blessing/curse go? May you always live in interesting times. and May you find what you are looking for.

Deb & Bill
03-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I can handle the heat with air conditioning and palmetto bugs after living in Texas for 45 years, but I worry about the snow. I also hate wet cold - dry cold wasn't so bad. I have lived in central Texas (Waco), west Texas (Lubbock for college) and now east texas so I have experienced both....Regina

We just drove through Malakoff yesterday. Have you thought about Tyler or Longview? Still Texas, but might be a little more progressive and still Texas. Not that far from your family in Waco.

edk35
03-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Celebrations FL and I would get a parttime job at Disney. :thumbsup2 I talk about how we are going to retire there in 12 years....12 more year...just 12 more years. :goodvibes

auntsue
03-14-2010, 12:59 PM
A note about Naples...We live here seven months of the year. It is beautiful and right on the Gulf of Mexico, yet it is far enough away from Disney (3 1/2 hours) that we don't go there too often. With the seasonal FL pass, we only go two or three times, so it's still special to us. Right now housing prices here are very good for buying (not so much for selling as our home is worth about $100,000 less than we paid in 05) and sales are picking up. Two homes on our cul de sac of 12 just closed. Coming from NJ, I wasn't sure I would like Florida, but other than this year, the winters have been wonderful. Even so, it certainly beats out all the snow they got up north. I can't tell you about the summers, but I remember many a hot and humid night in NJ as well.

I do have to say it is really crowded from Jan. through March. However, driving here from MD we went through Ocala and that area had lots of pretty farms . It's called 'the horse capital of Florida' and the countryside looked beautiful. You'd have to check it out yourself since I know nothing about it, but it was lovely.

I agree with the others who say 'sit tight for a bit and think about it a little longer.' Like DVC, you can always find something to buy, but if you jump in too quickly and make a mistake, selling may not be quite that easy.

Reginak
03-16-2010, 12:48 AM
We just drove through Malakoff yesterday. Have you thought about Tyler or Longview? Still Texas, but might be a little more progressive and still Texas. Not that far from your family in Waco.

Hey, you should have stopped to say, Hi! I would have bought you a hamburger! I hope that you had a nice drive and no unfortunate stops by the boys in blue. (I always see someone getting a ticket, especially in Brownsboro.)

Longview and Tyler are nice, and we have considered the Tyler area. A lot of people love Tyler, and we have friends there; however, we have decided to leave the entire area for several reasons.

Thank you,

Regina

Reginak
03-16-2010, 01:06 AM
The people are lovely. We will stay here after our kids grow up, if our kids move somewhere else? I don't know. DH was born and raised in S. Cal and I lived there for my entire adult life until moving back to WY. We'll just have to see. The important thing is to adapt to the circumstances of wherever you are living -- otherwise, you will never be happy there.

I will say that moving from an urban area to a much smaller town is quite an adjustment. It's been five and half years and some days we are still adjusting! Not as much, but there are still some days when we wonder what we have gotten ourselves into....and we live in one of the big "cities" for Wyoming! Kinda crazy!

Good luck with whatever you choose. How does that Chinese blessing/curse go? May you always live in interesting times. and May you find what you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the good wishes and the blessing. I hope that we are as fortunate as you. I would love to find a forever place but will be supremely happy with a "for now" place.

Regina