PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you're late for dinner reservation

Lglchick
03-07-2010, 07:05 AM
A friend recently told me of an incident where they used the bus service and left a park an hour and a half early in order to make their reservation for one of the princess meals and still ended up being 15 min late due to the constant stops and loading of the bus.

If this happens to us, would calling the restaurant make any difference? What if we can't get through to the restaurant? If we fail to arrive at our designated time, what happens?

seashoreCM
03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Explain it to the maitre d'.

In the circumstance described you should be put on the waiting list of parties already arrived, and ahead of those whose ADR time is after "the current time". Or to pretend you arrived exactly on time.

You can try calling the restaurant but for now I think it is okay to skip that if you would need Directory Assistance at whatever ($4.00?) or otherwise spend half an hour on the phone on the bus calling all kinds of places to find out whom to call.

TisBit
03-07-2010, 07:24 AM
We had a similar problem with a reservation, it wasn't a booked restaurant, but we called the reservations line which put us through and they held our reservation. I would just try to give advance notice.

Another (really bad) incident did teach me something about their seating systems at the restaurant. When your name comes up, they can put it on "hold" until you check in, which will then put you back into que for a table. Unfortunately you can be on "terminal" hold if they never uncheck it after they accidently checked it :rolleyes1

Leota
03-07-2010, 07:32 AM
we've been late before due to transpo issues. we just show up and apologize and ask if they can still seat us. it's never been a problem yet. conversely, we've also shown up as much as 1/2 hour early and done the same. it's so hard to time your arrival perfectly on WDW transpo, esp. to the resort restaurants.

JDUCKY
03-07-2010, 07:34 AM
You do have 20 min. after the ADR time.

And plan for a backup method (such as a cab) if you think you'll be running late.

Lglchick
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I thought of jotting down each restaurant's number with our ressie number so that I wouldn't have to use that ridiculous $4 info. I just hate the thought of possibly being penalized because of their own system, especially if I'm using it correctly by giving my party a sufficient amount of time for travel.

But, it seems I should have no worries and will deal with any hiccups as they arise. No need to be fussy when we're getting to experience the trip of a lifetime, yes? ;)

Iwant2BAprincess
03-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Just explain and try to check in-A couple of trips ago I had dinner booked at GG w/Mickey for our last night. We had gone to MGM for the morning and were done by 11am so we thought we would head over to DTD for a little afternoon shopping-well since you have to bus back to your hotel then to DTD this took hours-First we waited 45 min to leave mgm and it went downhill from there. We literlly spent 20 min at DTD and were bus hopping again trying to make a 6pm ressis-(it really didn't seam like this would have been a difficult thing to do) We were supposed to be checking in a 5:55-we left POP at 6:05-I was in tears-our last night was ruined. We finally made it over to the GG and I had DH try to check us in-no problem they said as long as we had a ressie they would seat us. Needless to say I was utterly shocked

winterman
03-07-2010, 09:38 AM
we just show up and apologize and ask if they can still seat us.

It can never hurt to be polite and apologetic.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Pakey
03-07-2010, 11:11 AM
We've had this happen twice. Calling ahead to notify the restaurant did not make a difference at either place, both said that until entire party arrived they were unable to do anything. Our 30 min late at 50's PTC Cafe was no problem. We were seated soon after arriving. Our 30 min late to Boma was a too bad, so sad. They put us on standby and we were seated about 90 minutes later.