PDA

View Full Version : Should you plan your quick service ahead or just wing it?

jraymond503
03-06-2010, 09:20 AM
What do you think?

Do you plan ahead where you will use your quick service meals, or just TS?

CleoPahd
03-06-2010, 09:29 AM
We don't plan out our quick service meals, but we do look over the menus ahead of time to get an idea for which places we may enjoy more.

tami82
03-06-2010, 09:30 AM
You could probably just wing that one. Unless you have a favorite than i say dont stress out any more than you have to. I do have my favs and plan to go but i dont have it down to a specific time more of a time range at the MK. The other parks i have nothing planned.

Coconuts
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Our CS plans aren't set in stone, but I usually have a pre-set plan of what park we will visit every day(I research crowd reports, EMH, special events, etc.) Based on what park we will be in, I give my family a few CS options to pick from(based on food that I know they'll eat, places we've tried and liked, dining reviews, etc.) Make sense?;)

dancin Disney style
03-06-2010, 09:47 AM
We know which places we like and just go to which ever one we are near when we want to eat. Occassionally we will eat a little early just because we are near a place we really like. This tends to happen mainly at Epcot.

WizardLarz
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
We don't plan out our quick service meals, but we do look over the menus ahead of time to get an idea for which places we may enjoy more.

I agree! In MK Cosmic Ray's has the largest selection. In DHS Staring Rolls has great alternitives to burgers.

badblackpug
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
We wing it. We usually do QS for lunch and we generally just eat at the nearest place when we are hungry.

Aristocath
03-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Our CS plans aren't set in stone, but I usually have a pre-set plan of what park we will visit every day(I research crowd reports, EMH, special events, etc.) Based on what park we will be in, I give my family a few CS options to pick from(based on food that I know they'll eat, places we've tried and liked, dining reviews, etc.) Make sense?;)

This is what we do.

ksbean
03-06-2010, 11:06 AM
With Quick Service we usually wing it. However if you have something particular in mind it would be beneficial to browse the sample menus here or on allearsnet to get an idea which one carries what.

sbprincess
03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree with everyone else so far. However, I will say I specifically know which CS I do NOT want to go to also in each park. I've looked at menus, read reviews, etc. so I know exactly where to avoid or which menu items to avoid. Some items have sounded appealing on the menu but then I've read they're not good at all. That's what we do!

Tara922c
03-06-2010, 11:33 AM
What I plan to do is to make a spread sheet of all the CS places in the parks that I think we would be interested, and a breif description of what they have. DH will not let me plan what we are doing each, and every day, but I think it would be nice to know what CS a park has for when we get hungry. This way I can say, "what are you in the mood for?", and instead of searching for a place to eat, we can look at my spread sheet, decide, and go. Hope it works out!!

pixarmom
03-06-2010, 12:30 PM

This is exactly what we do - it's nice to have familiarity with the menus and locations of CS, so that you can offer choice (or decide) based on how the day goes. We can never predict exactly what time we'll be in a certain part of the park - even with our general plan - so I usually have a place in mind, but know of other options.

dtr_angel
03-06-2010, 12:38 PM
we at least look at menu's online, and try to get a feel for what we would like. The last 2 trips, we had a list of 7-10 places we really liked after reading the menus and looking at reviews, and took it from there. This has worked out really well for us!

julieannie
03-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a little cheat sheet I carry around. That way if we get stumped then I can point us in the right direction.

aceys_h0ney
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a few in mind I would like to try and have reviewed the menus but that is as far as we will plan. Last trip I planned them and we ended up in the wrong side of the park everytime with starving kids so we ended up just eating where we found food.

HunnyJar
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
We plan it usually. If we are at the MK for example, we will have two CS in mind and choose between the two once we are there. I'm a huge planner and like to have some sort of idea going in. It makes things a little less stressful for me while we're there.

design_mom
03-06-2010, 01:37 PM
What I plan to do is to make a spread sheet of all the CS places in the parks that I think we would be interested, and a breif description of what they have.

We did that (sort of) for our most recent trip and it worked out great. I copied the menus from the places I thought we'd be interested in into a text file that we could view on DH's iPod touch.

We were able to look at the menus while we were waiting in line at an attraction and make our decision. I think it also helped us to choose a few places that we'd never been before. We tend to stick with something "safe" (burgers again!) when we don't know what someplace offers!

scard192
03-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I had a cheat sheet also with 3-4 CS options for each park based on my family's meal preferences. I also noted which ones had inside seating as we were at WDW when the temp was over 90 every day; it was a welcome relief to sit inside and enjoy a meal.

branv
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
The only thing I really try to do is make sure I am oriented to the locations of CS that have something other than burgers and/or dogs. I've learned the hard way that not doing so can end up causing a burger rut just because they're EVERYWHERE.

USAswimmer626
03-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Don't stress out about CS meals. When we go, we always have CS places we want to eat, and we just eat there when we're in that park or near that resort. But I actually do suggest checking out the CS menus so you aren't wasting time deciding where to eat.

honeydiane1953
03-06-2010, 04:15 PM
What do you think?

Do you plan ahead where you will use your quick service meals, or just TS?

With QS we wing it. Say we get hungry we then just eat somewhere nearby.

3boys4me
03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Wing it. All of our TS are planned so we just eat CS at wherever looks good when we are hungry. Of course I do look at the menus before the trip so I have an idea of the places that would be doable for the whole family.

B-Ride
03-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Having eaten at many different CS restaurants in our 6 trips to WDW we pretty well know what places we want to eat at before we go. However, we do try and be a bit adventurous and decide what we are going to eat once we get to the places we have pre-selected.:rotfl2:

Tinkerbellie16
03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
It's hard enough to stick to the TS schedule (being at a specific park or hotel at a certain day and time) so I don't schedule our QS. BUT I do check out the menus beforehand and reviews so I have an idea where I'd like to eat. So if we end up at Epcot, I know that I'd like to try the Moroccan quick service or something like that.

chipndales
03-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I had a loose plan for our Quick Service just so I didn't have to think about it too much while we were touring the parks. I knew what places had which food but my dd and I were pretty flexible about it.

FlightlessDuck
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
We have "planned" QS ahead of time and ended up winging it anyway. When it comes to QS, eat when you are hungry.

Although knowing what places you would like ahead of time is a good idea.

redrosesix
03-06-2010, 09:22 PM
We look at the park map on our way in to remind ourselves what each CS offers, and also the park hours to make sure it will be open (that's an issue for us since some are seasonally closed or have shorter hours when we visit). But we base our decison on what we feel like eating that day (almost never burgers and never, ever chicken nuggets) Then we make sure we're working our way towards where we want to eat rather than away from it -- we're not into zigzagging through a park just to eat at a particular place. And if we plan to get dessert after (like ice cream at the Plaza) we actually make more of an effort to get to that place than where we eat our meals (we never eat dessert at the CS)

That being said, we have a short list of places we will never eat again, so we generally avoid being in those areas of the parks around meal times.

PrincessJasmine66
03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
We did a planner for our last trip, but once we arrived in Disney that went out the window, & we decided to go with the flow - still had some great food though.

lnuzzo
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
The first few times we went to WDW my DS was in his very picky faze. Literally he ate nothing but pizza and PBJ. I created laminated index cards listing the CS restaurant, location, and menu items available for DS. I had 4 of these, one for each park. DH and I are very easy when it comes to food, but this strategy was great when dealing with an overheated, over tired and hungry picky eater.

DonaldTDuck
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I know what I like but don't have a plan. Last Jan I told my buddy how much I loved Cosmic Rays but on our last MK day, we were hungry in Frontierland, so we ended up at Pecos Bills. However, if I set foot in AK, I will be eating at Flame Tree. We had 2 AK days in Dec and ate there both times.

grace&philipsmom
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
We always plan our TS and any must do CS (like Toy Story Pizza Planet - a must for the kids). Other than that we wing it.

MissionMouse
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
With QS we wing it. Say we get hungry we then just eat somewhere nearby.As some have mentioned you may want to at least look at the CS menus in advance, especially if you want to avoid specific types of foods or the opposite want to eat specific types of foods. Make a quick reference of those places so you don't waste time on the ground looking for what you want.

I have no plans to dine at any CS place on anyday, but have a list of the ones that we would be OK to eat at, since there are others we have no interest in their food offerings.

lzbee
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
No need to plan your quick service meals since no reservations are required.
There are quick service meals all over the parks.