PDA

View Full Version : Fish for a non-fish eater?

lelei
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I have always been a picky eater, and I have always said I don't like fish. I can't specifically remember ever trying it though.

Looking at the resturants and food on this board, it looks like I would really be missing out at Disney if I keep avoiding fish.

My big question is: What should I try to introduce myself to the world of fish? What type of fish would you recommend for someone's first taste? Is there anything I should avoid?

badblackpug
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Any mild, white fish, such as tilapia, flounder or orange roughy.

lelei
03-06-2010, 08:34 AM
What kind of texture should I expect? I'm not a fan of really creamy stuff. Any specific way I should ask for it cooked?

badblackpug
03-06-2010, 08:48 AM
No they are light and flaky. Cod also has a mild flavor. It is flaky, but in my opinion a little moister. Not creamy, though.

Broiled, baked, fried it's all good.

Just for interest, I eat fish about 4 times a week, and did not like Coral Reef if that is something you are considering.

Art 1
03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Why bother? Really. If you don't like fish you don't like fish.

design_mom
03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I am also not a fan of fish. I've never found any I like.

If you want to try fish at WDW, great. But if you don't, I just wanted to you that you can still get good stuff that's "fish free" at the restaurants, even some that specialize in seafood. (My DH loves seafood... and never gets it at home! :D )

bicker
03-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Another approach is to aim for something like swordfish... it has the texture of a pork chop (though, of course, no where near as "hard").

prncess674
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Why not go to a local restaurant and order fish. I think many people say "I don't like X" but they have never been exposed to X or eaten X. Go to a quality restaurant that has fresh fish and ask the waiter what is good. Also it isn't just about the fish. Read the way it is prepared and ask if you would like the same preparation on chicken.

Do you eat any seafood? If you haven't ever had any seafood then start off with the easy good stuff: shrimp and scallops.

IluvKingLouis
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
When we lived in Hawaii, a lot of folks who didn't like fish loved Mahi Mahi (my mom was one). The Coral Reef has a nice mahi mahi, and I'm sure there are some other restaurants too that serve it.

A lot of folks like the fish and chips in England/World Showcase. I would think that texture would be flaky, not mushy, but probably not as meaty as other fish.

lelei
03-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the great advice! I actually am planning on trying it locally. With me, I think its more a mental thing than anything else! I think taking the suggestions here will help me get over the "ick" I seem to have implanted in my mind about fish. I'm hoping to be more food adventureous before we head to Disney in Oct.

lelei
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh and I'm also hoping to open up the range of foods my daughter will eat- she kinda mirror's me on things- if I don't like something she will declare she hates it as well. My son on the other hand will try anything (pretty cool for an autistic kid!) and loves fish. I'm hoping we can try one of the seafood resturants and actually enjoy the different stuff on the menu!

TillyMarigold
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
My DH's mother is a terrible cook and fish is one of the many, many foods he insisted he hated when I met him. It was easiest for him to start with a fish that she *didn't* make at home (salmon and tuna steak instead of cod) because he didn't have a preconceived notion of how it would be. We're pescatarian, so we eat fish quite a lot--actually we had sushi last night, yum, but that's something to work up to because the texture can be a bit of a shock.

The most popular fishes nowadays are probably salmon, tuna steak [it just means a whole filet rather than the canned stuff people know], mahimahi, and tilapia. Tuna steak is probably the most similar in texture (not taste!) to red meat and is not flaky like other fishes (it's also red, though not quite the same color as steak). I think a good fish 'n' chips is also a good place to start if you like fried foods, but go to someplace that has a good reputation for it, like an Irish pub.

pigletto
03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Why bother? Really. If you don't like fish you don't like fish.

Well if the OP is like me her dislike comes from a lack of exposure rather than experience and she'd like to broaden her horizons so to speak. We just didn't grow up eating seafood so I have an aversion to it that has little to do with actual taste.

Now that I have found and tried a few that I enjoy, I have far more options, try restaurants I may not have tried in the past and eat healthier choices which is a good thing:)

cheshireqt
03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I swore I did not like and would never eat fish until I was almost 30 years old! There was a mental ick factor, like you said, that I finally was able to get over. Now I like Tilapia, cod, orange roughy either breaded and baked or preferrably well seasoned and grilled. I also really love Red Snapper or something comparable blackened and grilled. By blackened I mean it has a spicy season rubbed on then grilled. At Disney the best fish I have ever had was at Boatwrights at POR (I got the blackened red snapper with stewed green tomatoes and a slice of pecan pie for dessert). WOW! :lovestruc The worst fish I had at Disney was at Coral Reef, don't remember what it was but remember it tasting nasty. I really loved the fish and chips at Universal's Royal Pacific (in that case breaded and fried with tartar sauce). In the last few years I have also learned that I like salmon if it is grilled or baked with some kind of butter (garlic butter or parsley butter) and served with a spinach salad (with a sweet vinaigrette, like strawberry or rasberry, feta cheese, and craisins or freshly chopped strawberries or toasted pecans or mandarin oranges, or all of the above). I also really like grilled Tuna steaks that have been seasoned with lemon pepper! No other prep required!
From someone who did not like fish, or thought they did not, I have come a lonnnnggg way!

IluvKingLouis
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I like the idea of trying fish locally first. Unless Red Lobster has greatly improved over the last decade, I'd stay away from that one.

honeydiane1953
03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
why bother? Really. If you don't like fish you don't like fish.

amen!!!

LAWalz23
03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
If you decide you like fried fish, Cookes of Dublin in DTD makes there fish & chips fresh and also has fried shrimp and scallops that are excellent as well. The TS restaurant right next door, Raglan Road, has fish & chips and a dish called "Its not bleedin chowder", it has cod, shrimp, scallops and mussels with potaoes in a cream broth and was very good in January. The potato wrapped snapper at Flying Fish was also excellent!

lelei
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you soo much for all the suggestions! Now, I just have to decide which local resturant to try it at.

Its also nice to know I'm not the only who's felt like this! I'm turning 30 in September, and I thought its time for me to get over childhood food trama! My mom was also a horrid cook, which led to me either dowsing stuff in ketchup or avoiding it all together! Her cooking was bad enough to drive kids to put ketchup on carrots even!

Golf4food
03-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Thank you soo much for all the suggestions! Now, I just have to decide which local resturant to try it at.

Its also nice to know I'm not the only who's felt like this! I'm turning 30 in September, and I thought its time for me to get over childhood food trama! My mom was also a horrid cook, which led to me either dowsing stuff in ketchup or avoiding it all together! Her cooking was bad enough to drive kids to put ketchup on carrots even!

Do you live near the ocean? If not, that will have an effect. Frozen fish is not nearly as good as fresher fish. Nowhere in Florida is more than about an hour from the ocean, so getting fresh fish in Florida is almost a given.

I'd also avoid any big chain restaurant like Dead Lobster. Find a local joint. Ask friends and family if they have a place they like.

I would mimic the recommendations of the others: mahi, tilapia, cod, halibut, roughy, basa, swai - all are pretty mild white fish.

Swordfish is stronger - I would not start there.

Salmon is quite strong and definitely to be avoided if you don't like strong fish.

Mysteria
03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Totally agree with starting with any of the mild white fish suggestions. You don't even really have to go out. Cooking it isn't difficult. Just start with something simple like baking or frying with maybe a light batter. You can even get shake and bake type batters for fish. Tempura is good.

Hope you like it! I love finding new foods I like.

JDUCKY
03-07-2010, 06:01 AM
A good first experience would be the Grouper at Citrico's.

mmmm mmmm mmmm....

Leota
03-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I think it's great that you are broadening your horizons. My New Years resolution a couple years ago was to broaden my horizons with a couple food hangups I had. Number one on the list was Goat Cheese. I started out with an herb crusted chevre & ate a little every day until my taste buds got used to it. Now I like it. It was just a matter of getting used to something that I wasn't used to.
I did the same thing with fish too, years earlier, just because I had only been exposed to a few kinds of fish & my Mother was also not the best cook. As I tried things, I grew to like them more & more. Tuna was the first fish I fell in love with. It grew from there. I still don't like salmon unless it's raw in sushi/sashimi or rare on a cedar plank. Salmon is a distinctly strong fish if cooked well done.
Now I eat fish every chance I get.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

wezee
03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
If you live anywhere near the great lakes yellow perch and walleye are both real good.

badblackpug
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I think it's great that the OP is trying to open up to new things. I think a lot of people get themselves into a rut and refuse to try things just because they have never had them. I usually find it odd when people rule out a whole category of food, such as "I don't like fish" or "I don't like vegetables." I think a lot may have to do with past experiences. Maybe one time you had something that you didn't like, maybe it was that particular type of fish (I eat fish at least 4 times a week, and I hate tuna, in any manner) or the way it was prepared. (I sympathize with you folks whose mom's were terrible cooks, mine too!) and it stuck in your head that you don't like fish (or whatever) I have also met people who have said "I don't like X" because they were told from childhood that they don't like it. Maybe they refused it as a baby and their parents wrote it off as "Billy doesn't like X" Also remember that our taste buds change as we age. Things we may not have necessarily liked as children we may like as adults because of this change. My father, :angel: who was always a man that ate almost everything, told us about how there were a lot of things that he didn't like as a kid, but when he went into the Air Force and was faced with the prospect of "eat it or go hungry" he found out there were a lot of things he previously disliked (or thought he did) that he liked, now. He always said he wasn't sure if it was his mother's cooking, or a change in tastes, but it turned out to be a good thing, as there were a lot of things that he would have missed out on.

Again, OP, I commend you for trying to broaden your horizons!

NJRRK
03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
This thread has has just made me very jealous.

I have a very different issue with fish - I love whitefish (sole is my favourite). But I am HIGHLY allergic and can't eat "fin fish."

I have to live with shellfish (which I like, but it's not the same).

To the OP I hope you like what you try and if you don't life will go on there is plenty to eat in DW other than fish.

lelei
03-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I plan on going out to lunch this weekend with my sister who is a big fish eater and will be trying it!

I know fish is pretty healthy, and I've gotten over some other hang ups lately, so I am hoping I'm able to put this one to rest as well!

I really appreciate all the nice posts!

gillep
03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I think it is wonderful that you want to try new things for both yourself and your DD.

I am not a fish lover but my DH is, I always try some of his and although I now like some there are still a lot of different types of fish that I do not like. I would also suggest Tilapia as a first fish I find it to be very light and tastes like whatever sauce or seasoning is on it I usually get mine grilled with salt and pepper and then drizzle some fresh lemon on top yummy!!! Two that I still don't like are tuna and salmon (DH's favorites) I try them everytime he gets them and I just don't like the flavor of the tuna and the salmon I always find too oily whether it is cooked or in sushi I just don't like them.

Have fun trying new things however if you find that you still don't love fish there is still tons of food that you can choose from that will be awesome. When we went to citricos DH got I think the grouper and I had the veal shank and even my fish loving husband wanted to abandon his fishy meal for mine because it was spectacular!!!!!

tallulah77
03-08-2010, 09:22 AM
my husband has decided that on our next visit he would like to try mahi mahi. We aren't huge fish eaters but he wants to try some new stuff. Can anyone recommend a really good mahi-mahi dish at 'the World' to start him off?

MickeyNicki
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I was exactly like you until 10 years or so ago and now I cannot believe that I waited so long to love fish!

Talapia, the fried variety from England, is fantastic

Red Snapper from Flying Fish, to die for

Grouper, amazing, I can eat it any way from anywhere.

Do you like Shrimp, crab, lobster? SOOOO good but it took me a while to get used to the texture

I have tried salmon (too fishy), tuna and swordfish (way to fishy and stong for me) so I will stick to the white fish type

tami82
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Im not a big fish fan either but do eat on occassion and have a few i do like. I did eat a few different places at WDW the salmon and its usually very mild. Its a good choice when you are at a buffet and want to eat something that isnt bad for you. But of course i will also throw some other not so good things onto my plate:goodvibes

Uncleromulus
03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with Bicker. Aim first for a meaty, steak-like fish--Swordfish or a nice Tuna steak. Grouper would aslo fit into that category.

Golf4food
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
my husband has decided that on our next visit he would like to try mahi mahi. We aren't huge fish eaters but he wants to try some new stuff. Can anyone recommend a really good mahi-mahi dish at 'the World' to start him off?

I've had mahi on special (non-regular menu) a few places but also the Mahi de la Veracruzana at the San Angel Inn and thought it was good. It has tomato and capers and such in it so the flavor of those items come out quite strongly against the mild mahi - doens't taste at all fishy (not fishy enough for someone that likes fish, truly, but for someone looking for fish that won't taste like it, I can say that one would probably fit the bill).

drenalin'junkie
03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I am a professional spearfisherman and have access through wholesalers we sell to to every species imagineable that I don't harvest personally.

I often hear your predicament,here's my2cents.Local fresh non-farmed fish will have better flavor and texture.

White meat fishes including in order hogfish,triggerfish,snapper,grouper,hake,pollock,c od are the best for not tasting fishy.

Red meat fishes are generally fishy,tuna can be the exception but it is generally served rare,kinda icky to some.

Swordfish and cobia are more porklike in texture as mentioned earlier and can be subbed in recipes you'd normally see pork in.

Avoid "mystery fish" where fry coatings and sauces can hide sub-par fish or spoilt goods.If you can't see what it is it's 50 to 75% likely it's not as advertised.Tilapia and basa are garbage fish foisted off on unknowing consumers by a slick ad campaign and the fact they have no taste of thier own.

branv
03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
It may sound weird to hear this since I don't really know you, but I'm so proud of you! I've always been very confused by people never examining/ reexamining the opinions they hold, and that definitely includes food. Life is just too short to be closed off to growth. :thumbsup2 Besides, like a PP said, taste buds change. When I met DH he hated, and I mean LOATHED a large variety of things that now he adores. Like with some people on here, I suspect the problem stemmed from lack of exposure to different foods, parental prejudices against "strange" food...seriously, they found Caesar salad suspect until a few years ago. Add to that, not a single member of his family can cook worth a darn. *oooh, Thanksgiving. shudder* As for me, I hated, loathed, despised blue cheese until last year...age 35! Knew I didn't care for it, but took an opportunity to sample a really high quality Stilton. Blew my socks off. I think previous to that my only experiences with blues had been really low end crumbles. Now I consider that Stilton my gateway drug to the world blue cheeses, yum, yum yum.

Personally, I agree with starting out with a mild fish. Even if it's a fairly tasteless fish that gets all its flavor with the topping, it may help you break through mentally :) You can be more adventurous later. Just remember -- where ever you try it first, if you don't like what you have, don't assume that means you really don't like it. Too many places don't cook fish well. I might even suggest you find a very simple recipe and try it out yourself at home. That way you can be certain you're buying a good fish. If you do that, one thing I know that makes a big difference for us is to be sure to only buy fish that's labeled "fresh." I know some people will claim they can't tell the difference between fresh and previously frozen, but the mouth feel to us is very different (less mushy).

If it makes you feel better, I like fish but can't bring myself around to salmon. I hate that I just don't seem to like it b/c it's so good for you, everyone else I know loves it, and I like to make it for DH b/c he loves it (I also found a wonderful recipe for it that I hate to let go to waste). So I keep trying it out but it just won't take. :rotfl: Ah well, there's more than one fish in the sea ;)

Please let us know how your first taste test goes.

ga9497
03-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Another approach is to aim for something like swordfish... it has the texture of a pork chop (though, of course, no where near as "hard").

For a person trying to try fish I totally agree with this, it HAS to be FRESH, frozen swordfish has a whole other flavor and texture.

Tuna, fresh not canned, is also another good option as far as texture goes

lelei
03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Aww, thanks for the sweet words! :hug:

I've been working on expanding my horizons for awhile now, when I was younger I had a very, very limited list of foods I would eat. You wouldn't believe how many years it took me to have the courage to try something like cream cheese, or to order a steak anything less than well done! (I now order steaks medium, and love it- it tastes soo much better!)

I really want my daughter to see me eating different things because she has the same pickyness. She is 10 yrs old, and I just got her to try oatmeal for the first time yesterday morning! It was peaches n cream but she still spit it out and claimed it tasted horrible.

I plan on trying fish this weekend, and will let you all know how it goes! Thanks so much for being so nice, warm, and supportive! It's also nice to know that I was not the only one tramatized by bad cooking when young!

JenniferK
03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I am not a fan of fish. I will tolerate the mild white fishes such as tilapia, cod, orange roughy, sole. But I would not order them if I was at a restaurant. The one exception is grouper. I don't need to tolerate it - I actually like and enjoy it and order it at restaurants. I don't see it offered very often as I live in the midwest. When I am in Florida it is a must-have as it is so nice and fresh there.