PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi worth it?

Robbinsgirls3
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
We are going with a group of 4 adults 4 kids, and most of our ressies were for the girls of the group, princesses etc. I thought Sci Fi for the 9 year old boy, but is it worth a table credit or should we go with something else? We'd all have to sit seperately, is it worth trying?

disneyag
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
My son was 11 when we ate there. My daughter was 8. They both enjoyed it. I thought the food was unremarkable, but the atmosphere was pretty fun. It was a nice break from all the Princess themed venues.

wdwthanksgiving
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
sci fi is a fun experience but in my opinion, not worth a table credit...the food is decent enough but not only do you not sit together you aren't guaranteed a specific seat which can impact your experience (for instance, we wound up being in a car but in the very back in front of the service area so the lights were brighter and there was a lot of movement from the servers)

would you consider either paying out of pocket or making a reservation and getting an appetizer to split or milkshakes? still get the experience but use your table credits elsewhere?

softballmom3
03-05-2010, 05:05 PM
IMHO...absolutely NOT!!! This was by far the least liked dining experience we had at Disney. Very unremarkable food, just didn't enjoy it. I would have much rather had that $100 back to spend somewhere else :)....live and learn.

tami82
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
we plan on doing this one but i will be paying out of pocket for lunch and saving my table service for another time. We are on the regular dining plan though. I figure the kids would enjoy it. Its not supposed to be 5 star but rather an applebees type place so as long as you know that ahead of time you should be fine.

hannaconda
03-05-2010, 06:35 PM
The food was ok. The milk shake was great. The only thing is I got tired of was seeing the same old reruns. I can only take so much of The Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman.

Robbinsgirls3
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
sci fi is a fun experience but in my opinion, not worth a table credit...the food is decent enough but not only do you not sit together you aren't guaranteed a specific seat which can impact your experience (for instance, we wound up being in a car but in the very back in front of the service area so the lights were brighter and there was a lot of movement from the servers)

would you consider either paying out of pocket or making a reservation and getting an appetizer to split or milkshakes? still get the experience but use your table credits elsewhere?

That might be a good idea, just stopping in for a snack/appetiser, non dining plan. I've heard the shakes are worth it, and I've always wanted to see inside it for some reason! thanks for the idea!

CanadianPaco
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it. We've been to the 50s Diner but we thought this would be a great change!:wizard:

Snork
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I think everyone needs to eat there at least once regardless of everyoned reviews. The food is not so great but the atmosphere is really cool. I would recommend eating there for lunch though.

__disneygirl
03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I think it is 100% worth it. It's one of my favorite places on Disney property, we never miss Sci Fi. Your 9 year old boy will LOVE it, as will the rest of your family. Such fun, unique atmosphere and good food. Also they have the best milkshakes i've ever had so you might wanna try one of those!

arielmomma
03-06-2010, 06:35 AM
The atmosphere was really neat and my kids (3 & 6) really liked the movies, so they would go back.

DH and I on the other hand likely will not. The food was just okay (no better than what you could get at CS). It would have been nice to actually see one of the old movies.

I'm glad I did it once, but won't go back, however, your children might really enjoy it.

catherine
03-06-2010, 07:07 AM
We eat lunch there at least once every trip. We really like the atmosphere. We usually just order burgers, however last time we were there DD, who loves her ribs, wanted to get some for her lunch, I was advising her not to get them because of everything that I'd read on here, anyway she ended up ordering them and she said that they were great! We've only eaten dinner there once and won't be repeating that, the food really wasn't very good!

VirataMama4
03-06-2010, 07:11 AM
We love it and eat there EVERY trip! We've done both dinner and lunch and lunch is better.

jdisnut
03-06-2010, 07:13 AM
The best way to justify eating at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater is to think of it more as an attraction than a dining experience. The food is definitely lackluster. There are absolutely better restaurants in the area. But the atmosphere at Sci-Fi is unique and ingrained in the Disney culture. It is worth making a reservation there just to see the inside once and enjoy the setting. The kids won't have a problem with the fare, and if the adults stick to basic dishes, they probably won't leave unsatisfied either.

scrapbooksellman
03-06-2010, 07:33 AM
We just did sci-fi last week for the first time. Food was average, resturant was cold and speaker for movies was very loud. We asked the server if it could be turned down and she said there was not a way to do that.
They did give my kids a surprise for their birthdays which was very nice.

SuzieN
03-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Totally worth it to me! The atmosphere alone can't be beat - throw in one of the best burgers on WDW property and...ding ding ding....you have a winner!!! My kids LOVED it! They also have my favorite milkshakes at WDW! Take your boy - he will love it!:goodvibes

cassie58
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
We have eaten there twice, and the kids love it(we have a DS9). If you have 8 people, you could sit in two seperate cars, but ask to have them next to/behind each other if possible. The earlier you arrive for your ressie the better, as they do get backed up at busy times. It is burger and fries type food, but atmosphere is great!

cassie58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
8/09-CSR

dalt01
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
an applebees type place hardly:confused3..................oh and..........................it is just plain fun:) and thats why you go to WDW anyway...........the reuben is good..........the onion rings are good...........the ribs are good.

FlightlessDuck
03-06-2010, 09:00 PM
We think it's good for lunch. Haven't been there for dinner, but we liked the burgers and shakes. If you will need to pay for something OOP at any point in your vacation, you might want to consider doing that here. I'm not sure I'd use a TS credit on it.

katmittens
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
We have not been there in years since our kids are now older, so I cannot say how the food is now, but I think the atmosphere is great. I say try it at least once. It is a fun place. As I say mostly every place you eat at in Disney is expensive, it is expected.

buzzrelly
03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
We were thinking about eating here during our October trip. We would go for dinner but would probably order burgers and stuff and just pay out of pocket. Then we would have the extra TS credit to use at CRT dinner another day. I'm wondering if people think this makes good sense to do this.

Port Orleans fan
03-07-2010, 09:19 AM
My wife and I agree that Sci-Fi was great for a first time experience, but I don't think we'd go back there again. The atmosphere is fun because it's like being at a 1950's drive-in. The food was decent, but it was nothing spectacular. IMHO it was very comparable to counter service food.

The service was very good. :)

Disneygeek714
03-07-2010, 09:29 AM
We almost always stop there on our trips. The movie clips could use some updating, but I love it because I saw most of those bad movies! I thought the ribs were great. And the Margheritas are good, too :earsboy:

hookemhoney
03-07-2010, 09:32 AM
We ate at Sci-Fi on my birthday this past December and decided to pay OOP - the meal wasn't too expensive and we decided that a nice dinner would be a better way to spend a table credit than lunch there.

I've been a life-long fan of the place since we went for the fist time 15 years ago, so we always make a point to go on every trip!

DisGirl23
03-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I look forward to going there for lunch every trip. Sitting in a car with a burger and a milkshake watching cheesy clips. It's a great break from a HOT day at DHS! It's an attraction of it's own!
I will say that I prefer lunch to dinner. We went for dinner once years ago and we weren't impressed much. But it's still one of my favorites! :thumbsup2

jpolak
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
The atmosphere is nice, but as my grandfather said "you can't eat atmosphere."

Mousemom
03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
We never miss eating at the Sci Fi. My boys have loved this place since they were small and we have never been disappointed with the food. Maybe we are easy to please. It usually takes the length of the meal to see all of the movie clips. We also use one of our TS credits to eat here.

Silver Queen
03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
We like Sci Fi for lunch and will definitely go back. As one poster said, it's a nice, dark, cool break for a hot day. The burgers, fries, and shakes are fine. We prefer some place a little nicer for dinner. Since we get TiW meals credits are not a problem. I think it would be a fun experience for your family, but you might want to consider paying OOP for lunch.

Dizfan4life
03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
We just got back from WDW and had a lunch ADR at Sci-Fi. IMHO.. we won't go back. The atmosphere was cool to see, but we really froze they had the temps so cold there and even my burger was cold, not even luke warm. My dad is HUGE into old movies and TV shows and he said only one looked familiar to him. My husband got a really bad headache from the lights they have in the dashboards and my kids walked out wearing their food because they couldn't see that well :lmao:! Our waitress never came back to check on us and someone else brought our food to us and we didn't see our waitress for almost 45 mins later - hmmm maybe she had a long break? When we did find her we had to ask for a refill of our pop and her response was "ooops" so I am wondering if she forgot about us? However, there is always either a "love it or hate it" review so my theory is maybe everyone should try it to just judge for themselves.

tinacaplan
03-07-2010, 02:36 PM
We just ate there in February for lunch and LOVED it. We had shakes, onion rings, and cheeseburgers. They were good and the atmosphere was so much fun; what I think dining at Disney should be, IMHO. Was the food fantastic? No. But it was good and we had a great time. The food was much better than at 50's Primetime, btw.

NMW
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
We do it for lunch most every yearly trip. I would not do it for dinner. You can have a very good lunch there if you stick with basic lunch foods. The best foods there are the burgers, onion rings, Grilled chicken sandwiches, spinach dip, milk shakes, and alcohol drinks. The atmosphere is nice and it's refreshingly cool and dark in there. Nice to get out of the Florida sun, especially on hot days. The desserts are nice too. I really have never understood why people pick on this place. We have never had a bad lunch there.