PDA

View Full Version : 50's or Sci-FI

Carl Fredricksen
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I am trying to plan a birthday for my DS, and was just wondering on opinions for the 50's cafe vs. Sci-Fi dine in. From the searches I did, 50's sounds fun and has better food, but Sci-Fi sounds like it has better atmosphere. We are only able to do one, so thanks for the opinions.

AlohaAnnie
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I like 50's better than Sci Fi, Sci fi is nice inside but it is hard to eat because it is dark and you can't see your food and after a while, the same things runs on the screen over and over, it gets old.

50's has better food, in my opinion and it is not dark! :)

mickeystoontown
03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Given your son's age, I think maybe Sci-Fi might be a better match. By the way, you can order the Sci-Fi lunch burger at dinner even though it's not on the menu.

2minny
03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
We prefer Sci fi to 50's. We like the atmosphere and liked the burgers and milkshakes too!

marciemouse
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
We've never been to 50's but we love Sci-Fi for the atmosphere. Plus the shakes and ribs are good!

chepic
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Depends upon what you are looking for. the sci fi is all the old black and whites playing on the big screen while you sit in your car under a "sky" of stars at the drive in theater. We like going there for lunch.

Prime Time is an old fashion kitchen with lots of noise and rutkas happening around and to you. No elbows on the table kind of stuff. Lots of fun. Your waitress is your cousin and your dad is at the bar. Very family oriented. They hang your picture that you color on the fridge and they will put "naughty" kids in the corner.

My 8 y.o. loves the Prime Time for all the interaction.

To me, the food is about the same. Both are equally good quality. The sci-fi is more of a burger/dog type thing to go with the theme. Prime Time is homey comfort food....meatloaf is great!!!

I am certain either place will make a fuss about his birthday.

Cheryl

prncess674
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Also realize that at Sci-fi it isn't really easy to talk to your party. You are sitting all facing forward like ducks in a row. We loved 50's and our waitress was hysterical. I had the pot roast and it was lick your plate good.

brendaziz
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I love both- though my hubby doesnt really like 50s.
I think it woudl depend on if your DS woudl think someone reprimanding him or you to eat your veggies was funny- or if it would just be annoying and kill the mood. My hubby hates it :) But i think it's a riot.
I really like the food at both. I've always loved sci-fi's food and i like the whole facing forward and watching old movies thing.
Milk shakes are awesome at both places.
Mmmm now i really wnat a milk shake!!!!

prncess674
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I think it woudl depend on if your DS woudl think someone reprimanding him or you to eat your veggies was funnyI think 50's is misunderstood in these posts. It is all said in a playful voice and they really only play with people who banter back. We loved our waitress and we were a group of adults and she was sure to let us know that she had the keys to Dad's liquor cabinet. The table next to us was given a "homework assignment" to come up with the 12 3 letter words for body parts and not to use any potty mouth words. We has so much fun coming up with the list with our "cousins" at the next table.

chocovrdmicears
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Depends upon what you are looking for. the sci fi is all the old black and whites playing on the big screen while you sit in your car under a "sky" of stars at the drive in theater. We like going there for lunch.

Prime Time is an old fashion kitchen with lots of noise and rutkas happening around and to you. No elbows on the table kind of stuff. Lots of fun. Your waitress is your cousin and your dad is at the bar. Very family oriented. They hang your picture that you color on the fridge and they will put "naughty" kids in the corner.

My 8 y.o. loves the Prime Time for all the interaction.

To me, the food is about the same. Both are equally good quality. The sci-fi is more of a burger/dog type thing to go with the theme. Prime Time is homey comfort food....meatloaf is great!!!

I am certain either place will make a fuss about his birthday.

Cheryl

I agree with everything Cheryl said! :)

vettegirl
03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I vote for 50's PTC. I love the atmosphere and the food is way better than Sci Fi.

2minny
03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I vote for 50's PTC. I love the atmosphere and the food is way better than Sci Fi.
I disagree, the food is different, but I wouldn't say 50's food is WAY better than sci-fi...we like sci fi beef and blue salad, burgers, milk shakes....

lilosurf11
03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I have to say I prefer 50's. The atmosphere is so much fun and I love watching the tv clips during dinner - My family and I have a blast watching those! :cool1:
The last time we were at sci-fi, the waitress slipped soda all over my mom's lap and I didn't like the food very much.

OhThePain
03-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I am trying to plan a birthday for my DS, and was just wondering on opinions for the 50's cafe vs. Sci-Fi dine in. From the searches I did, 50's sounds fun and has better food, but Sci-Fi sounds like it has better atmosphere. We are only able to do one, so thanks for the opinions.

You hit the nail on the head. IMHO, the only thing Sci-Fi has going for it is the atmosphere is worth experiencing... once. Everything else about the place is forgetable.

I have been to 50's on every trip to WDW I have been on. The food is better and the banter between the CM's and those eating there is all in good fun. If your family isn't responding they don't push it.

Also, if you plan on celebrating a birthday, you might want to be able to sit at a table like a family. At Sci-Fi, most seating is set up like a car (2 people sitting next to eachother, everyone facing foward).

sherabby
03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
My son is 9 and he loves 50's Prime time. We've done Sci Fi as well. This trip we are going Deluxe dining and hitting them both in the same day! Sci Fi for lunch and Prime Time for dinner! Dad's brownie sundae is awesome and huge too!

NorweJenNY
03-05-2010, 08:06 AM
You hit the nail on the head. IMHO, the only thing Sci-Fi has going for it is the atmosphere is worth experiencing... once. Everything else about the place is forgetable.

I have been to 50's on every trip to WDW I have been on. The food is better and the banter between the CM's and those eating there is all in good fun. If your family isn't responding they don't push it.

Also, if you plan on celebrating a birthday, you might want to be able to sit at a table like a family. At Sci-Fi, most seating is set up like a car (2 people sitting next to eachother, everyone facing foward).

I disagree about experiencing Sci-Fi "once." I love that place as i give hubby and I a chance to sit together undisturbed while the kids eat and enjoy the movies... and I love the ribs and cookies 'n cream shakes too, btw!

However...

I do agree with this statement about sitting together as a family for a birthday. 50's Prime Time is the place to do that, not Sci-Fi. 50's is a great location for a birthday. We took my mother there for her birthday last year. (The 50s theme was quite appropriate in her case. ;)) It was an all around great experience because of the interaction we could have with each other and with the waitstaff. The food here is great too - I recommend the pot roast and PB&J shake! 50s Prime Time, IMHO, is the place to do a birthday.

MissBritt
03-05-2010, 10:35 AM
DH and I did both in the same day in December 09, and preferred SciFi. The food was average at both, and while we enjoyed watching other diners interact with the servers at 50s, the atmosphere at SciFi was more to our liking.

Pakey
03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Although we give the edge to 50's in food quality, we prefer Sci Fi overall. We've been to Sci Fi probably a dozen times or so and we do not feel it's a one time thing.

Dennfamily4
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I have 3 boys (15, 12 & 9) and they all love Sci-Fi. When planning our trip they all asked if we could go back.

WAHMto5
03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
For us it would be Sci-fi all the way!

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I would go with 50's Prime Time Cafe.

BigTex71
03-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I was facing a similar decision for our upcoming trip... Sci-Fi or 50s PTC. After meticulous research and gathering reviews and suggestions from others, and weighing my family's likes; I ended up choosing Sci-Fi.

IndianaRRT
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM
We did 50's Prime Time on our last visit in 2007 and LOVED it. We'll make our first visit to Sci-Fi when we go in May, but I'll echo others on the board if you'll be celebrating a birthday--50's is the way to go. The wait staff will have a great time with it, and the food is AMAZING!

wdwthanksgiving
03-05-2010, 05:10 PM
both are fun choices...the only concern i would have is over the seating at sci fi ...it really is a more "solitary" type of place - everyone sits facing the front, 2 people in each slot of the car
the 50's has great interaction with the servers and you feel you can linger longer

my vote for a birthday celebration would be for 50s!

hannaconda
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
for the food 50's is the way to go. To me it is better but the milk shake at Sci Fi is well worth it

jacksmom
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I would chose Sci Fi! It is so much fun! The onion rings and shakes are great also!:rotfl:

JoePa4Ever
03-06-2010, 04:48 AM
This trip we are going Deluxe dining and hitting them both in the same day! Sci Fi for lunch and Prime Time for dinner! Dad's brownie sundae is awesome and huge too!

We also like both Sci Fi & 50's - and do the exact same thing: Sci Fi lunch & 50's dinner. And you're right about the sundae at 50's - my personal favorite :thumbsup2

topmonkeygirl
03-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Haven't been to 50's because we love Sci Fi so much. The burgers, onion rings, milkshakes, and artichoke dip are awesome. Ribs are very good also. Atmosphere is really cool, I just love it.

blanq
03-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I have been to both of these restaurants on numerous trips. I love 50's, as does my family. The pot roast and PB&J shakes are fabulous. After two bad experiences in a row at Sci-Fi my family will not return there. It has been our worst dining experience ever at WDW. The atmosphere their is cool, but the food has been horrible.

SuzieN
03-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I am no help at all - we have to do both on our trips!! They are both fantastic - you can't go wrong with either!!!!:goodvibes

tami82
03-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I havent been to either but chose sci-fi since i think my kids would like that more. Although the fried chicken at 50's has me very tempted since not many places serve fried chicken other than that and Trails End.

Coconuts
03-06-2010, 09:43 AM
My vote's for 50's PTC!:thumbsup2 The food, IMHO, is much better and the kids loved the hula hooping outside. We tried Sci-Fi last trip, thinking my kids would love it. They didn't rave about it and didn't understand all of the videos that were played.:confused: The food was average at best and it was so dark I could hardly see what I was eating. Hmm, I wonder if that was a coincidence?;):laughing:

hookemhoney
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
We always make a point to visit Sci-Fi on every trip to WDW. The food isn't spectacular, but makes for a great lunch break from the park. The onion rings and beef and blue salad I had in December were absolutely delicious!