PDA

View Full Version : Just not that excited about Crystal Palace ....

CrabbyPatty
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I made my late August ADRs the other day, and selected Crystal Palace on August 30th for lunch. My reasoning was that our first day (half day) would be spent at Epcot, with dinner at Teppan Edo and the next full day would start out at Animal Kingdom with a Tusker House breakfast, mid-day break and then back to MK for the evening EHs.

I figured we could sleep a bit late on the 30th, and get a later start. We haven't been to Crystal Palace yet, but I'm thinking it's just another buffet with characters and we'll be at Akershus the next morning, and Cape May the day after that - so we will get to see plenty of characters. Our group is my sister and I and DD who is 9.

My other alternative for the late morning is Epcot, and then head over to DHS for the evening EHs (no Fantasmic so hopefully it's won't be crazy busy).

So is Crystal Palace worth staying around MK for, or how about a nice lunch at La Cellier or a dinner at Mama Melrose? Sorry for the rambling and I appreciate any words of advice. Thanks!

Kae
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
We realy enjoy lunch at CP. it is a beautiful place with good food & it is a nice mid day break. We always talk about doing breakfast at CP but then book it for lunch. Another thought is to leave MK & go to Kona at Poly, GF Cafe or even whispering Canyon at WL.

Kae

christa112
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
CP is okay in my opinion. I prefer Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. How about Chef Mickey's right outside the gate?

CrabbyPatty
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Great ideas - keep 'em coming! I'm not too crazy about Chef Mickey's (I just have visions of screaming 4-yr-olds and mediocre food) and we have Park Hoppers so we can go anywhere that day and eat.

DisneyFamily123
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Crystal Palace is a great way (and the only way) to meet Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore, and Piglet at a meal without waiting in lines in the parks to see them... Only Tigger and Pooh show up at only 1 other meal
(1900 Park Fare breakfast) and that's not guaranteed.

Aside from that, the location in MK makes it easy to get to... and the food is very good. A nice variety of cold salads, freshly carved meats, the salmon is very delicious, and lots of other items to choose.

For us, it makes for a nice relaxing lunch because DS enjoys the characters and we enjoy the food. It is a quieter meal than other character meals which can be very loud. The characters do a parade through the restaurant, sign autographs, do photos, and interact at the tables. Very simple, not crazy or wild.

We ususally eat here twice during a 9 day stay. In my opinion, it's not worth spending the extra time going to the monorail resorts for lunch..... Now for dinner, the monorail resorts do have some meals worth doing --- Ohana, California Grill, and Citrocos are our favorites. But Narcoosees is pretty good too.

disneyfav4ever
03-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I love Crystal Palace, it's one of my favorite restaurants on property. :goodvibes

babybunny223
03-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I have only been to Crystal Palace for dinner and it was great; especially if you like meeting the characters. If you prefer to avoid another buffet but want to stay in MK, Liberty Tree is fantastic. Just ate there in January and have plans to go back in September. If you want something amazing at Epcot, Le Cellier is to die for. I'm a true foodie and that one's on my list for September too...

bellebookworm9
03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
We went to CP for a spur of the moment lunch and loved it. There was plenty to choose from (and I'm a fairly picky eater) and the characters were a lot of fun. I don't recall it being really noisy and I was sick, so if it was noisy I probably would have remembered having a headache. I think you should stick with it!:thumbsup2

Eeyorerocks!
03-02-2010, 03:37 PM
We really love CP - we find the quality and selection of the lunch items to be wonderful! Love the dessert too! I would have lunch at CP even if it wasn't a character meal. :laughing:

I definitely think it's worth it to have lunch at CP - you may be pleasantly surprised :)

Leota
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
A couple years ago, I booked CP for lunch for our Grandsons. It wound up being a really tasty surprise. All of us adults (5 adults) and of course both the kids had nothing but positive to say about it. DH & I will go there as adults for lunch. The other place I like to have lunch on a MK day is GF Cafe for thei Tua Nicoise salad.

I gotta say, I know everyone here raves over LeCellier, but I think it's gone WAY downhill. I'd eat at CP before LeCellier in a heartbeat.

CrabbyPatty
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
..... for your comments about CP! I think we will keep that ADR. It sounds like the food is good, it's not too loud and the characters are fun. I appreciate your words of advice!

fours
03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I think with the wide variety from the buffet you will sure to please everyone. Although it did seem a bit hectic when the characters danced around it was still fun. It was fun sitting by the window people watching while eating.

MMrules
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
CP is a must do every time we go (We started going without kids and keep the tradition going with them). It is absolutely beautiful inside, the waitstaff has been great and the food has been fantastic. I have eaten all 3 meals there (Once even for Easter dinner) and have never had a bad meal yet. The homemade omelets are great, their is a wonderful salad bar with fruits for breakfast, breads, wonderful carved meats etc.
As mentioned it is the easiest way to see Pooh and Friends (which I have a huge Tigger fan in my house) so it makes it fun to see them while dining. I don't think you will be disappointed at all :)

KatMark
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I made my late August ADRs the other day, and selected Crystal Palace on August 30th for lunch. My reasoning was that our first day (half day) would be spent at Epcot, with dinner at Teppan Edo and the next full day would start out at Animal Kingdom with a Tusker House breakfast, mid-day break and then back to MK for the evening EHs.

I figured we could sleep a bit late on the 30th, and get a later start. We haven't been to Crystal Palace yet, but I'm thinking it's just another buffet with characters and we'll be at Akershus the next morning, and Cape May the day after that - so we will get to see plenty of characters. Our group is my sister and I and DD who is 9.

My other alternative for the late morning is Epcot, and then head over to DHS for the evening EHs (no Fantasmic so hopefully it's won't be crazy busy).

So is Crystal Palace worth staying around MK for, or how about a nice lunch at La Cellier or a dinner at Mama Melrose? Sorry for the rambling and I appreciate any words of advice. Thanks!

I don't do buffets for lunch or dinner at Disney after our disasters at Hollywood & Vine twice and Chef Mickey's on our last visit (although we will do Biergarten and Cape May Cafe's lunch/dinner). We love Crystal Palace for breakfast though. If you want to eat the MK, why not go to The Plaza. It is a nice change of pace from all the heavy meals you are eating during the week on the dining plan and we have never had a bad meal there (and the desserts are to die for).

newdeal
03-02-2010, 06:26 PM

When we went to Crystal Palace the buffet sucked, it was for dinner and there were characters there but the food was by far the worst of any restaurant we went to and of all the ones we visited crystal palace and mama melrose were the only ones I would never go to again