PDA

View Full Version : Ohana's Experience

momofmikey
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Looking for one more TS meal for our August trip. Never tried O'hana's. What is it like? Do you see the servers preparing the food? Do you get your own table or do you share a table? How's the food?

Thanks!

badblackpug
03-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Ohana is one of our yearly "must-do's." The food is served family style, in that it is all you can eat, but they bring it to the table. You always get your own table, but they don't prepare it in front of you. For dinner there is a little show with lots of fun games for the kids. We love the food.

eelkmj01
03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Looking for one more TS meal for our August trip. Never tried O'hana's. What is it like? Do you see the servers preparing the food? Do you get your own table or do you share a table? How's the food?

Thanks!

We are going for our first time in May. From what I understand, you do not see the preparation of the food as you would in some Japanese restaurants. You do not share a table, but depending on the size of your party, when you book your ADR you may be given the disclaimer your party could be split upon multiple tables. I was told this and DW and I are traveling with DS 5 and DD 15 months.

disneemama
03-02-2010, 09:04 AM
We have been going to Disney for years and did not go to O'Hana until two years ago, we went and love it. :thumbsup2 Its a must do for us now and both times we went we had at least 17+ people and always were seated together. The food for all the adults was outstanding, they just keep bringing out more. :goodvibes They have kid food for the little ones, just have to let them know. The desert is the best anywhere. Also they have music and games during the dinner which is a lot of fun. I would not pick this restaurant if I were looking for a quiet dining experience. We were even able to see the fireworks in the distance from our table.

JoePa4Ever
03-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Ohana dinner is one of our favorites - we love the polynesian atmosphere and have good meals there. The food is served family style - lots of good appetizers & side dishes (honey-coriander wings + pork dumplings :thumbsup2). Plus the server will bring skewers of shrimp, pork, steak & turkey to your table. The dessert is also very good: bread pudding a la mode with bananas & caramel sauce. There is also usually some sort of entertainment going on such as hula lessons, coconut races, limbo contests, etc.

eagles1281
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Agree with everyone else. We ate at Ohana's in '05 and have been there for every trip their after. Love this place but my problems is, ALL YOU CAN EAT. Well when we leave I am always hurtin'. Love it
It's a must for at least one time. Also they have probably the best dessert on site.

momofmikey
03-02-2010, 01:10 PM
thanks so much for the opinions - sounds great!

My only concern is the noise factor. From what I've read, it's a definite fun, loud place. That would be great except for my 2 ridiculously shy sons. They'll NEVER get up and dance or do anything where eyes will be on them. Do you think they'd be OK here? Can I request a section away from it all?

ebird08
03-02-2010, 01:15 PM
so it's "all you care to enjoy" but not as a buffet? sounds like whispering canyon in the wilderness lodge. how does it compare? i know it's always packed whenever i walk through to use the monorail but we've never tried it. the only reservation i could get was much later in the evening. hoping it's worth it - but it sounds like it will be! :thumbsup2

MSLRAC
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
We loved it and will be going back! It was one of our best meals all week! We had an 8 pm ADR and they didn't do any games but we were seated by the window and had a great view of Wishes.

The food was fabulous! DH ate so much meat and every single piece was tender and juicy. DD ate her weight in broccoli and noodles. I truly enjoyed the dumplings and wings which I usually do not like at all. And the dessert, oh my gosh...it was wonderful!

We also had great service. We were not rushed and didn't feel neglected at any point. I was really kind of worried going into that meal because there have been alot of some what poor reviews of it lately but it was wonderful!

DisneyFamily123
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
A lot of the food is cooked on skewers on an open fire in the restaurant and you can watch this. The food is a million times better than Whispering Canyon Cafe. Just the bread pudding dessert alone is enough to justify the meal. And for that reason, I warn you not to fill up on all the other food (and there is a lot!) You must save room for dessert.

And if you have never been to the Polynesian Resort... allow some extra time after dinner to walk off your meal..... and enjoy the resort. It is beautiful at night with all the tiki torches lit. Walk along the beach and you can see the castle all lit up and hear tropical music. At 6pm (usually) on most nights, there is a performer from the Spirita of Aloha who does a welcome the night ceremony at the entrance to the grand ceremonial house (main building) who juggles fire to drumming and lights the first tiki torches.

wscottsawka
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Ohana is an absolute must do! Excellent food and atmosphere. Kids get to play games and food is brought to the table. Cooked on the open pit, food is delicious!!

amshowers
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
The food is great. I:love:shrimp, wings, and the dessert. Bread, salad and pot stickers are also yummy. The steak is always very good as I order it mid-rare. This restaurant is a must do for us. A lot of adults join in with the dancing, so maybe you going up with them will help.

rlovew
03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
thanks so much for the opinions - sounds great!

My only concern is the noise factor. From what I've read, it's a definite fun, loud place. That would be great except for my 2 ridiculously shy sons. They'll NEVER get up and dance or do anything where eyes will be on them. Do you think they'd be OK here? Can I request a section away from it all?

You can request to be further away from it (near the windows)- we had a table near the aisle(where they do everything) and while we enjoyed the food DH said he didn't want to go there again- I think he had 5-10 kids run into or over his foot with a coconut that went wild and the loudness is not his style at all. Even if you are away from it- it is very loud and they will keep asking you kids to come up and do things- as long as they are okay saying no then they may be okay. My younger brother is very shy and I would not take him here.

monorailmom
03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
We just booked this for our Aug. trip, though we've never tried it before. My DS is very nervous around fire..doesn't like candles, etc. Will he be okay if we aren't sitting right near the fire pit? Can you see much of it from seats near the windows?

B-Ride
03-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Agree with everyone else. We ate at Ohana's in '05 and have been there for every trip their after. Love this place but my problems is, ALL YOU CAN EAT. Well when we leave I am always hurtin'.

The best approach is to do what we do. Stay at the Polynesian. Then after your second serving of the bread pudding you can just limp back to your room and collapse.:rotfl2:

RutgersFan
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I know I am in the minority here, but we really hated Ohana. We found the meat to be dry or fatty. I have never been so rushed through a meal. Our table wasn't in the main room so we didn't even get the good view and had to get up so the kids could participate in the games. We were really excited about this restaurant and it was a huge let down!!! I would never go back there!!!

jdisnut
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I have read a surprising number of negative reviews of 'Ohana recently, but I remain firmly on the bandwagon. It is one of my favorite Disney restaurants, and I try to eat there each trip. The skewered meats with the dipping sauces are glorious, particularly the grilled turkey and the shrimp. I also adore the chicken wings and the bread pudding.

Like others have said, I would not worry about the noise or activities in the restaurant. Your children will not be pressured to join if they are uncomfortable, and you can easily request a table away from the festivities. The place is large enough to sit so far away from the dancing and coconut races you will barely see them happening.

HunnyJar
03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
We just ate at 'Ohana for dinner on Feb 20th and it was a very positive experience. My husband and son loved the meat offerings. My husband who isn't generally a huge turkey fan had three helpings of the turkey. My son basically kept the shrimp to himself. No one complained of the meat being too tough or fatty.

I'm a vegetarian and I loved my food. The tofu vegetable plate they brought me was very tasty and I was very satisfied with it. I also enjoyed the broccoli and salad.

The dessert is always good and we were happy to see nothing had changed with it since our last visit. We will definitely be back.

WAHMto5
03-04-2010, 04:06 PM
We love it! A every trip meal for our family as well;)

MandM-Mom
03-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Ohana is either loved or hated I think, there are so many mixed reviews that I was very scared to try it and now we can't leave the world before we have it:)

The Tabasco Kid
03-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Did it November last year and loved it. We got seated in the area behind the open kitchen and thought it was great. Much quieter than the areas that had a kitchen view. The meal is death-by-a-thousand-nibbles. Doesn't seem like much when they stop by with the skewers...a piece of beef here...a shrimp there....how about a bit of salad and a potsticker on the side, Scarecrow?

Good stuff, but be careful. If you can't resist the offerings, make sure to wear your elastic-waisted emergency sweat pants.

honeydiane1953
03-05-2010, 01:39 AM
I am going to O'hana's for breakfast this year for first time due to CHARACTER DINING. I cannot stand Stitch but will go for my granddaughter's benefit. Now I have eaten at KONA"S for breakfast and it was d e l i c i o u s.:confused3

mmmears
03-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Dinner at 'Ohana is a must-do for my family. We actually prefer the appetizers, sides, and the desserts to all the meat -- IMO the dessert at 'Ohana is the best one at WDW!!!:cloud9:

jessrose18
03-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I am in the boat of hated it and love it. First time awesome, second not so great. We are thinking of giving it another try. The salad and dessert and sauces are so good. The noodles, brocolli, pot stickers were pretty gross last time (2 years ago). We tried Kona this year and it was great (ordered Ohana bread pudding for dessert). I would never tell anybody not to go here, give it a try it can be awesome.

ctnurse
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Loved everything but the turkey and pork...I thought it was dry. The salad and apps are yummy....so is the dessert...and dont forget those yummy drinks in the pinapples....ds 5 had a blast with the games....going back in august.

eeyoregon
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh how we :love: 'Ohana's for dinner!!!

We eat dinner there at least 3 times per trip. We usually pick later dinner times so that the mood isn't so rushed and so that we can see Wishes while dining.

I am not a steak eater normally, but those steak skewers are to DIE FOR!! You literally can cut it with a fork and not an ounce of fattiness. Mouth watering yumminess! And my friends/family will tell you how much a hate bananas and that they have never seen me eat bread pudding until 'Ohana's. That dessert is eyes-roll-back-in-your-head good!!!

The food is wonderful as are your servers...they will treat you like family. In October one of the chefs came and sat down at our table towards the end of the meal. He was great to chat with!!

eeyoregon
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
IMO the dessert at 'Ohana is the best one at WDW!!!:cloud9:

I second that opinion!!! We got the recipe from our server last year and made it Christmas eve and it was a HUGE hit!! We have made it a few times since...it holds us over until we can have the real stuff!

lemondog
03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Add us to the Ohana lovers list! It is a must-do for us, in fact we are eating there this coming Sat. night for dinner...can't wait!!!! Everything is delicious, I think last time one of the meats was dry, we just passed over that and ate everything else, although seriously you could make a meal from the sides and salad and bread alone. Oh, and of course the dessert. Never, ever forget to eat the bread pudding w/ bananas foster sauce!! :worship::worship::worship:

Coconuts
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
We tried Ohana for the first time last Sept, and it will definetly be one of our must-do's for every trip!:thumbsup2 I wish I would have tried it years ago. Everyone in the family loved it; my kids are big meat eaters(very little vegetables-yuch!) so they were in heaven.:cloud9: We had a table of 6 and were all together. We couldn't see the kitchen from where we sat. The waiting area was mobbed:crowded: and I thought we would be there forever, but got seated in @20 minutes. It was a bit on the loud side, but at least then I felt that my loud kids wouldn't ruin everyones meal.:ssst:

DCLbrideSept2009
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
We are also 'Ohana fans - for breakfast AND dinner! In August, we went with all the kids for breakfast. LOVED it (juice is soooo yummy!) Then in September, DH and I went back to WDW for our honeymoon and ate dinner there... again, LOVED it... yes, the bread pudding is TO DIE FOR! :love: We are going back in a week and have an ADR for breakfast AND dinner this time!! :thumbsup2 (where's the fat, waddling smiley?) ;)