PDA

View Full Version : First Cruise

Mikeyto_96
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Hello, I will be taking my very first cruise, Disney or other, May 2011 aboard the Dream. I am in a wheelchair and have reserved an accessible room (Concierge Family Statroom with Verandah). I wanted to know if anyone had any pointers though? I have some mobility but I truely try not to let anything stop me. My cruise will make two stops at Castaway Cay, one in Nassau and a day at sea. I would like to go over to Atlantis while in Nassau. How difficult is this and is it worth the time, effort and cost? I am aware CC has beach wheelchairs and plan to make use of those. Has anyone ever used them? If so, could you tell me a bit about your experience?

I have also posted in the DISibilites forum. I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks,

Mike

truck1
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Its not very dificult to go to Atlantis,especaiily if you are taking the tour.Are you taking an ECV or a standard chair? I know some of the busses that service Atlantis for the tour,are handicapped accesible.They are also big enough for standard chairs, if they dont have a lift or ramp.
If im not mistaken also, theres several sized vehicles that come to the port to pick up as taxis, so I cant see a problem there either.

As far as is it worth, it to go to Atlantis, its up to the individual.Personally I like going over there to do different things, and looking at the aquarium.

Mikeyto_96
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Thank you. I will be using a standard chair. I personally want to see the aquarium. I live near ATL myself, home of the world's largest aquarium and generally try to visit aquariums if there is one close to my destination.

DisneyCruiser83
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Since the Dream is not complete yet, it is hard to know exactly what the accessibility will be like, but I have noticed a couple of things from the drawings DCL has released. The Walt Disney theater has better accommodations for guests that want to sit close to the stage. Because it is now on two seperate decks, getting to a good seat no longer requires squeezing down tight crew cooridors (so it seems).
I don't know of your mobility level, but it seems as DCL has neglected to provide access to the pools for those who have difficulty. There is not a lift, there are no stairs or gradual entry of any kind, there are no safety bars or rails. You step over the edge onto a ledge a couple of inches deep and a couple of feet wide, then it drops straight to the complete pool depth. This is how it currently is on the Wonder and Magic, and looks similar on the Dream.
There are beach wheelchairs on Castaway Cay, but you will need someone to push you. The aquarium at Atlantis is very accessible. DH and I went there on our first cruise and had a great time. We took a taxi there, and the driver was very friendly and helpful.
In general, DCL does very well with accessibility, especially in staterooms. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Have a great cruise!

truck1
03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Thank you. I will be using a standard chair. I personally want to see the aquarium. I live near ATL myself, home of the world's largest aquarium and generally try to visit aquariums if there is one close to my destination.

Welcome.I honestly cant see too much of a problem with using a reg chair in Atlantis.Youll most likely enjoy it as the aquarium is themed around the Lost Contintent.