PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the TIP issue.

Presentation
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM
My big idea regarding restaurant TIPs!

We have all read the post using the logic “But we ate at the buffet / Pluto’s / onshore / etc. Why should we have to tip the main dining room staff for those meals?

Then the self appointed TIP police jump on the person and point out that the server was allocated a given number of guests and they work so hard and deserve the TIP they are owed.

We are main dining room folk. We do tip yet even I have a hard time with this argument.

Basically the non-main dining room users are subsidizing these servers for no reason other than they have been cornered into a no-other solution corner.

So it’s the allocation that is the issue.

But why must there be an allocation? :confused3

When you book the cruise you get two choices, main or late dining.
Why not add a third choice? The third choice would be ‘no main dining room allocation.’ :idea:

These passengers would still get room service, could dine at to topsiders / beach blanket buffett, pluto’s, Cookies barbecue, that pizza place by the Goofy pool, Palo’s (for the same additional fee as others) and dine onshore in port.

The only difference for these passengers would be they would not have a table allocated to them at the three main dining rooms.

This would solve the never ending debate. :thumbsup2

This is not a option we would take but it sure seems like a good idea for those that don’t wish to dine in them main dining rooms and don’t feel they should tip for a service they never use. :hippie:

What do you think? Would you support this third dining option?

DVCconvert
03-01-2010, 07:32 AM
This would solve the never ending debate.

Sure it would...and if you believe this....I have some real estate you might be interested in....

http://fitnessnyc.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/family-vacations-brooklyn-bridge.jpg

;)
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

mammacaryn
03-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Sure its a good idea, but nobody should feel guilty about NOT tipping what the cruise line suggests we tip.

We are all spending good money-to me there is no debate.

It is my money-I'll tip what I want ;)

calmpets
03-01-2010, 08:10 AM
The new debate would then be "Why should I have to pay as much money for the cruise if I'm not allowed to eat in the main dining room? I should have a discounted rate!" :lmao:

over50visits
03-01-2010, 08:12 AM
No. Does not even begin to work.

Here's a radical idea; Disney pays all their employees a fair wage, and no tipping.

As it is now, only one person is paying the penalty for those who game the current system: the staff member (server, steward) who doesn't receive their well-earned "tip."

Subsidizing? If I don't have kids am I subsidizing the kids activities? If I don't go to the shows am I subsidizing the actors? How about the various staff presentations? Workout room? Sheesh.

Eliminate tips (and the drink gratuity Disney so nicely adds for my "convenience"), charge a fair cruise price reflecting the quality of the cruise, and let's post about our favorite food or shore excursion!

NTOFD
03-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Would you tip the people at Pluto's, Topsiders, BBB, etc who also work in the main dining rooms?

Brooklyn
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
It does not solve the problem bc the servers at the buffets, at the pizza and hamburgers and at CC are all the same servers from the dining rooms. They also work at the midnight buffet etc.

People should be able to make their own decisions about whether I like it or not. If someone is going to start a thread about whether or not they should tip bc they don't eat in the dining all that much then they need to be ready to accept the answer from people.

This solution however does not solve the "problem" it just justifies those who chose not to tip.

hgon76
03-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Sounds good in theory, but like a PP said, then people who don't use the dining room would feel like they shouldn't have to "pay" for dining room meals. Anothe words, some would say they should get a reduced fare seeing as how they're having pizza, or buffet everynight while others are getting nice sit down dinners. I also believe adding the tip onto the cruise fare would not please everyone either. As some would feel if they didn't get great service, they shouldn't have to tip the same as someone who did get acceptional service. I think the old saying "you can't please everyone all the time" definitely applies to the "tipping debate". I personally have never had a problem tipping above suggested amounts to all the CM's that have taken care if me. They have ALL deserved every penny & then some!:thumbsup2

elkesails
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
A cruise is an "all inclusive experience" which seems to be a big part of the appeal for many travelers. You don't need to worry about how much you spend on meals or entertainment while cruising. Unless you want to indulge in spa or adult beverages you are pretty much paid in full when you step on board.

OP suggestion for a "Third option"...casual dining only. Let's say you could opt for casual dining only. How much less would you expect to pay? Are you BIG eaters or light eaters? What if you get tired of the casual fare three days into the cruise...can you upgrade? Since the ship is already built and has formal dining rooms they would only be able to offer a very limited number of "casual dining spots". That would also mean that folks who paid full price might no longer have the option of casual dining in a timely fashion. Sounds like a plan that would be virtually impossible to implement.

Tips...There are really only two options...controlling the tips yourself or paying a bit more for the cruise on the front end. I like the tipping option as I feel it results in better service overall.

Tips and "Third Option" (casual dining only). Unless you opt for a cruise with tips included you are still going to be tipping when you don't eat in the formal dining rooms. Those who serve you will still be relying on the tips to make a reasonable income. It will just be much more complicated as you will be tipping 3 or 4 times a day instead of all at once at the end of the cruise. I think the level of service would suffer greatly as the servers would not have as much to gain from a single meal served well as they have in a week long tip for exceptional service.

I think if you look at the ship as a whole there are many areas where you are paying for a service that you might not use. Maybe you never go to the movies on board or never order a Mickey bar from room service. Maybe you don't play basketball or like to swim. That does not mean that you expect some sort of credit from your bill. Can you imagine the line at the purser's office..."We only used the pool on port days between 10-2 so we get a $32 credit"

I see tipping as the same. Those guys in the dining room are available to me and ready to serve me. I am their ONLY source of revenue for the week (other than a small salary). They can't go home for the night and see their families just because I decided to skip dinner.

So...I think the only practical choice is a cruise with tips included or tipping controlled by the passenger. The "third option" you described seems completely unworkable to me and would not impact the need to tip either....so I am calling it a "Goofy Idea".

PS...No flames please I broke down the argument in a logical way and the OP asked for replies

NancyIL
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
If you choose the "Anytime Dining" option on some cruise lines (Royal Caribbean/Celebrity), you are automatically charged the gratuity as part of your cruise fare when you book. You can eat in the dining room at a time you choose or never step foot in the dining room, but you are still charged the standard gratuity because you are served by someone somewhere.

tvguy
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's a radical idea; Disney pays all their employees a fair wage, and no tipping.

Well, there are two issues with that.
One, the MONTHLY salary Disney pays it's employees (BEFORE tips) is often equal to the ANNUAL salary in their home countries.

Two. I took an all inclusive, no tips cruise way back in 1980, and it was $5,000 per person in 1980 dollars for an ocean view stateroom. What would that be, about $20,000 per person in 2010 dollars? Would you pay that to save a couple hundred bucks?

ppiew
03-01-2010, 11:37 AM
We have sailed both Silversea and Regent which are 'all inclusive' lines and absolutely LOVE the format (also their staterooms are MUCH larger - abt 275 sq ft or more). wish DCL were the same. Yes it has ranged from $3000 to $5000 per person (last year) but tips, alcohol EVERYTHING was included and the staff was superb in every respect. Frankly, by the time you are done with all the add ons, DCL is not much different.

PrincessTrisha
03-01-2010, 11:40 AM
How about Disney just does away with Tips and changes over to a service charge instead?

Cruise Price: $XXXX
Port fees & Taxes: $XX
Charge for Services Rendered aboard ship: $XX

Or Disney automatically charges your account and to have it removed or taken off, you need to have a legitimate service complaint?

IrishCowboy
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Personally, I like the fact that servers know that their TIPS are not automatic and work a little harder and go the extra mile To Insure Proper Service.

Considering the overall cost of a cruise (travel, excursions, pics, etc), TIPS are relatively small. If an extra 12-15 per person per day causes you such financial worry, maybe you don't need to go on a cruise.

Its by no means a perfect system, but it is the way things are work. Is it fair to pay $15 for large coke and popcorn at a theater? Maybe not, but it is the way the movie theater business model has been established and how things work in that industry.

But please, whatever you do, don't STIFF your servers. They work at their jobs.

Maryrn11168
03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Personally, I like the fact that servers know that their TIPS are not automatic and work a little harder and go the extra mile To Insure Proper Service.

Considering the overall cost of a cruise (travel, excursions, pics, etc), TIPS are relatively small. If an extra 12-15 per person per day causes you such financial worry, maybe you don't need to go on a cruise.

That is not fair to a lot of cruiser!!! We are a family of 5. So I have to add 12/pp/day x5x 7 days. This adds $420.00 In tips, on top of the $13,000 cruise fair b/c we have get a cat 4 or better, and the $4000. airfare b/c I have to travel over major hloidays to avoid my children missing school!! This doen't include anything we will be spending on our vacation. I tip my servers generously, but some people out there may have saved for years to take this one and only cruise and are wondering how to cut cost someplace.

We were on NCL and they charged on room $10pp/pd for gratuities, I think this keeps people from giving the well deserving servers extra money. So I think Disney should avoid it. Disney servers go above and beyond and in most cases they are well taken cared of. IMHO!

KSDisneyDad
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
That is not fair to a lot of cruiser!!! We are a family of 5. So I have to add 12/pp/day x5x 7 days. This adds $420.00 In tips, on top of the $13,000 cruise fair b/c we have get a cat 4 or better, and the $4000. airfare b/c I have to travel over major hloidays to avoid my children missing school!! This doen't include anything we will be spending on our vacation. I tip my servers generously, but some people out there may have saved for years to take this one and only cruise and are wondering how to cut cost someplace.

We were on NCL and they charged on room $10pp/pd for gratuities, I think this keeps people from giving the well deserving servers extra money. So I think Disney should avoid it. Disney servers go above and beyond and in most cases they are well taken cared of. IMHO!

Slightly off-topic:

To other families of 5 thinking of booking a cruise, we've never paid $13,000 even for a 15-night Panama Canal cruise! Nor have we ever paid more than $1,700 for airfare even during busy Spring Break. With the exception of our Panama Canal cruise, our family of 5 has cruised on two DCL 7 night cruises for less than $6,000 all-in including airfare, tips and excursions. We're going again in three weeks and it will be even lower in total cost, but it's also a 4-night with a couple of days at WDW added.

On-topic

I agree with PP's that I like the way Disney has their tips now. No system is perfect. I don't want to feel obligated to prepay or have tips automatically added to our daily stateroom fee like some other cruiselines. I've seen our servers working at breakfast, lunch, at the mid-night buffet and at Castaway Cay. They work hard 7 days a week with perhaps an occassional meal off here or there. We've generally tipped above the recommended minimums for all 5 of us for the main server, but have tipped at recommended or slightly below for less than stellar service by the assistant server and head server.

Also, as a PP said, Disney is not set up to handle a third option. If that were to happen, they may have to reallocate staff, change space around to accomodate more quick-service options and/or hire more staff. Each of these could add to the overall cost of the cruise for everyone.

mmouse37
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
The reality is tips are part of cruising. They should always be figured into the total cost of a cruise vacation. IMO not a place to cut corners or save some money. DCL tips are guidelines and can be increased or decreased depending on how your service was. I would have no problem decreasing the tip but in 18 DCL cruises never had to. We usually increase.

MJ

IrishCowboy
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I tip my servers generously, but some people out there may have saved for years to take this one and only cruise and are wondering how to cut cost someplace.

I have no problem with anyone trying to save a few $$. Just don't do it at the expense of your server team. Unfortunately, some folks will skip dinner on the last night just so they can skip out on tipping their server team.

IMHO, if you can;t afford to tip, then you really can't afford to cruise.

TheWog
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Why would this stop anyone from putting extra money on their account or putting some extra cash in the envelope with the vouchers?

sbell111
03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
I have no problem with anyone trying to save a few $$. Just don't do it at the expense of your server team. Unfortunately, some folks will skip dinner on the last night just so they can skip out on tipping their server team.

IMHO, if you can;t afford to tip, then you really can't afford to cruise.I believe that you misundertood her post. As I read it, she tips 'generously', meaning that she tips well above the suggested amounts. However, she can see how some people may not be able to budget these generous tips. That is not to say that these hypothetical people do not tip a reasonable amount.

cats mom
03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
When you book the cruise you get two choices, main or late dining.
Why not add a third choice? The third choice would be ‘no main dining room allocation.’ :idea:

These passengers would still get room service, could dine at to topsiders / beach blanket buffett, pluto’s, Cookies barbecue, that pizza place by the Goofy pool, Palo’s (for the same additional fee as others) and dine onshore in port.

The only difference for these passengers would be they would not have a table allocated to them at the three main dining rooms.

This would solve the never ending debate. :thumbsup2

What do you think? Would you support this third dining option?

So under your plan folks who choose "no main dining room allocation" would tip as they go?

ie: servers would have to take time to provide some sort of receipt at Cookies, the pizza place, etc. so the "no main dining room allocation" folks could tip at the time service is provided? (like with drink or room service orders)

What about those of us who have chosen main or late dining? Would we be expected to tip our dining room servers as always, plus add extra at the time service is provided for any of the above quick serve places?

Or are you saying the "no main dining room service" folks wouldn't tip at all since they are not eating sit down meals?

The servers are still preparing the food, manning the buffet lines, removing the trays, cleaning the tables, etc, etc. etc. Do you not think they should be tipped at all for this?

Nope, I wouldn't support it at all, unless I'm just not understanding it correctly. :confused3

Presentation
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
So under your plan folks who choose "no main dining room allocation" would tip as they go? Nope

ie: servers would have to take time to provide some sort of receipt at Cookies, the pizza place, etc. so the "no main dining room allocation" folks could tip at the time service is provided? (like with drink or room service orders)
No, just keep it as it is now.

What about those of us who have chosen main or late dining? Would we be expected to tip our dining room servers as always, plus add extra at the time service is provided for any of the above quick serve places? Nope

Or are you saying the "no main dining room service" folks wouldn't tip at all since they are not eating sit down meals? Bingo

The servers are still preparing the food, manning the buffet lines, removing the trays, cleaning the tables, etc, etc. etc. Do you not think they should be tipped at all for this?Although some of the main dining room, or even Palo staff must fill in manning the buffet lines, many, no waitÖ..most of the people that man the buffet or wait tables during the evening times lines get no tip now.

Nope, I wouldn't support it at all, unless I'm just not understanding it correctly. :confused3 No problem, you made that clear.

Any chance you have a suggestion?

MinnesotaMouseketeers
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
The reality is tips are part of cruising. They should always be figured into the total cost of a cruise vacation. IMO not a place to cut corners or save some money. DCL tips are guidelines and can be increased or decreased depending on how your service was. I would have no problem decreasing the tip but in 18 DCL cruises never had to. We usually increase.

MJ

I agree 100 % with mmouse37.

We have been on three cruises; have always gone above the tipping guidelines because of great service. It's sad when I read 'we don't tip because Disney charges so much money for their cruises that we shouldn't have to add more on top of it'. It's easy to come up with excuses to justify being cheap.

Pay for what you get, good service deserves a good tip. If you didn't get good service decrease the tip but I hope you at least write down on the comment card at the end of the cruise why you did this. How can anyone improve without honest criticism.

Presentation
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
MM, we are main dining room folk. We do tip.

Iíve just read post after post that all have the same theme. Iím sympathetic to those having to tip for a service that is not being provided.

Iím trying to find a solution.

Do you have a suggestion?

hgon76
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Iíve just read post after post that all have the same theme. Iím sympathetic to those having to tip for a service that is not being provided.

Do you have a suggestion?

Honestly, I think the only solution is not to cruise if the "cruiser" doesnt feel they need to tip. Most people know before they board the ship that these tips are "part of the deal". Rather than figuring out whether or not it's "fair" while onboard, know that this is what is expected & either choose to cruise or choose not to. I am also of the thought that this is "part of the cruise". If it is necessary to cut tips out in order to cruise, than maybe this particular cruise is not the right vacation for some. Not saying this to sound rude in any way, just think that it's kind of "a given" to tip.

budwmn
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I had a very long, nice talk with a room service delivery guy on our last cruise. I was blown away when I asked him if he would rather work in the dining rooms. He said, "No way".

Turns out most food service positions are salaried and tips are simply "extras." The dining room servers have a minimal salary (almost nothing) and count on tips as income. He said if he gets sick and is stuck in his cabin, he still gets paid. However, if a server gets sick, they don't get paid. Also, a guest can choose to tip whatever they want and sometimes servers don't get what they were expecting. The income is inconsistent.

Personally, I wish they just included tips in the cruise fare, paid the staff a salary wage, and made the cruise all inclusive.

IrishCowboy
03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
The point I wish to make is that even if you eat every meal during your entire cruise at Pluto's or Pinochio's Pizza, you are still being served by a crew member that works in a 'Tipped' position onboard DCL.

I do not see how you could develop a systems to handle normal dining room folks as well as those that choose to skip the dining rooms and still fairly compensate the staff.

sayhello
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM

I’ve just read post after post that all have the same theme. I’m sympathetic to those having to tip for a service that is not being provided.

I’m trying to find a solution.

Do you have a suggestion?I just think the main fallacy with your suggestion is the assumption that the tip is only for sit down dinner service. To make it easier, the tips are paid to your dining room staff, but those tips cover breakfast, lunch, buffets, quick service, etc. Saying those who don't eat sit-down dinners don't need to tip is then stiffing the folks who serve you at those other venues.

Sayhello

Presentation
03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
The point I wish to make is that even if you eat every meal during your entire cruise at Pluto's or Pinochio's Pizza, you are still being served by a crew member that works in a 'Tipped' position onboard DCL.

Iím sorry; I am under the opposite understanding.

The person working at Pinochio's Pizza gets no more TIPs then the person painting the ship.

shaylahc1
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I wish Disney would do away with tips and simply build it in to the price of the cruise. I'd gladly pay a bit more for my cruise to not have to worry about the hassle of tipping:confused3

hgon76
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
The person working at Pinochio's Pizza gets no more TIPs then the person painting the ship.
But they DO get tips. Your Server & Assistant Server also work at Plutos & Goofy's Galley & Pirate night Buffet, & Topsiders, etc. Last cruise, our Server was emptying trash on deck 9 during the day. They work 14-16 hour shifts. So when they're not serving in the dining room, they are either working or sleeping. The tips given at the end of the cruise covers their service at other places as well.

Presentation
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
But they DO get tips. Your Server & Assistant Server also work at Plutos & Goofy's Galley & Pirate night Buffet, & Topsiders, etc. Last cruise, our Server was emptying trash on deck 9 during the day. They work 14-16 hour shifts. So when they're not serving in the dining room, they are either working or sleeping. The tips given at the end of the cruise covers their service at other places as well.

Going to college I worked in a bar as a bartender. I also worked on the assembly line in an insulation factory. I could not possibly continue to go to college without both jobs. I had to do both.

Two different jobs. One gets tips.

So using your logic I made tips for working on the assembly line by bartending.

Do you have a suggestion on how to improve the current flawed system?

elkesails
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
"Do you have a suggestion on how to improve the current flawed system?" as posed by OP

It seems to me that most folks here think the system works extremely well and the downside to the changes you suggested far outweigh any possible benefits.

I appreciate that you are sincere in your thoughts and suggestions. Originally cruising was a multi-class format like you suggested but I just don't see that returning for any number of reasons which have mostly been mentioned already

La2kw
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM
If I'm paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, I certainly should be able to tip the amount Disney suggests or more.

jilljill
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM

You need to take this up with almost the entire cruise industry, not just DCL.

I suggest you post this question over on cruisecritic and see what kind of responses you get there, especially from people that are used to cruising on the other other lines that automatically add the tips to your shipboard account. I'm sure the posters over there won't be as nice with their answers as you are getting here.

b00kw0rm429
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Seems like a good way to solve the problem is for DCL to just include the tips in their fees and then pay out to the servers. Then anyone who wanted to give extra could but nothing would be expected and every server would be paid...as they should be. It's not their fault someone elects to eat elsewhere. We all go on a cruise expecting to tip at a certain rate per person. I was a waitress...as were a good many of you...in college and used to get so "fried" when I gave good service and was left a puny tip (as I made $2.11/hour without tips). My thought was if you couldn't afford to tip, don't go to dinner. So my opinion is that if you don't want to pay the tip, don't go on a cruise. It's expected and you were forwarned and I am sure those servers are paid at a reduced rate. I understand that sometimes you don't use their service, but they are there for your convenience and need to make a living. Please, if your servers are good to you, pay them...if you elect to eat elsewhere, pay them. If they STINK...I'm all for leaving them a lower tip. Put yourself in their shoes.

Presentation
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
You need to take this up with almost the entire cruise industry, not just DCL.

I suggest you post this question over on cruisecritic and see what kind of responses you get there, especially from people that are used to cruising on the other other lines that automatically add the tips to your shipboard account. I'm sure the posters over there won't be as nice with their answers as you are getting here.

We defiantly do have a nice community Jill.

Thank you for taking the time to give it some thought. There may be no good solution to the issue. To fix one problem a bigger one develops.

hgon76
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Going to college I worked in a bar as a bartender. I also worked on the assembly line in an insulation factory. I could not possibly continue to go to college without both jobs. I had to do both.

Two different jobs. One gets tips.

So using your logic I made tips for working on the assembly line by bartending.

if the assembly line & bartending job were owned by the same company &you were hired under the agreement that you would perform both jobs & would be given not only a "salary", but would also have an opportunity to earn tips.......then "Yes"! I would say that you earned tips for both jobs;). As far as suggestions for improving, I don't think the current system needs to be improved. I think it works fine. As I said in my previous post, I simply think that the people who don't agree w/ it may be best suited to find another means of a vacation. One that suits there budget & comfort level.

cats mom
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM

If passengers who selected "no main dining room allocation" brought along their own food and/or ate exclusively from room service, I could see saying no tip is warranted. (Although I certainly hope they'd slip a few $$ to the folks who brought all those meals to their cabin) ;)

But if they eat on CC, or at any other location on the ship; whether it be a deck party, a buffet, a quick serve walk up, Topsiders, Cookies, whatever... then personally I think they are being provided a service that warrants a tip.

Although some of the main dining room, or even Palo staff must fill in manning the buffet lines, many, no waitÖ..most of the people that man the buffet or wait tables during the evening times lines get no tip now.

This is where you lose me. I don't have insider knowledge of all the scheduling procedures on DCL, but I really don't think this is the case.

We've seen our regular dining room servers working at Topsiders, at the buffets, at the quick serve places, and at Cookies.
And the one night we ate dinner at Topsiders, our server there was able to tell us exactly what we could have had on our regular menu, because he had just finished working main dining at Lumieres (our same rotation, except we had late dining)

I just think the main fallacy with your suggestion is the assumption that the tip is only for sit down dinner service. To make it easier, the tips are paid to your dining room staff, but those tips cover breakfast, lunch, buffets, quick service, etc. Saying those who don't eat sit-down dinners don't need to tip is then stiffing the folks who serve you at those other venues.

Sayhello

Exactly what I was trying to express, but Sayhello said it better. :thumbsup2

I wasn't trying to be rude with my earlier response OP, I apologize if it came across that way. You did ask "What do you think? Would you support this third dining option?" I answered, although maybe too forcefully, subtlety is not necessarily my strong suit.
Sorry :flower3:

tvguy
03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Seems like a good way to solve the problem is for DCL to just include the tips in their fees and then pay out to the servers. .

Those of us who have cruised with system have found it leads to inferior service.
After all tip stands for:
To
Insure
Promptness.

If servers know they get the tip without regard to the level of service they provide, they just do the minimum.

Dicecatt
03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Here is my odd cents...

No matter what, you are going to get people that complain about various things when it comes to tipping. I have a client going on a Carnival cruise in a couple of weeks, outraged that she actually has to tip, and asked if she just requests that no one cleans her room, can she not tip. Lovely. She would rather run out of toilet paper, and have overflowing trash and room service left in her room then cough up a few dollars per person per day for her room steward. This is a woman that STILL hasn't purchased her airfare (departing on March 13) because she can't decide what flight...so the cost is rising as I type...but darn it if that $10 per day for tips isn't going to send her over the edge.

Tipping in general on a cruise equates to less than 2 extra alcholic beverages a day, or a few sodas a day on other lines. If someone truly is that tight with money, then they'd better hope the fuel surcharge doesn't happen! If you aren't prepared to tip, don't go out to eat. Don't go to a spa. Don't have your car washed by hand. Don't travel. Geez, in Egypt, I had to tip to get a small square of necessary toilet paper! Gratuity should be built in the budget, because, very simply, it IS. To try to change it is to not only to change the cruise industry in general but also the service industry.

Mickeyhugger
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Those of us who have cruised with system have found it leads to inferior service.
After all tip stands for:
To
Insure
Promptness.

If servers know they get the tip without regard to the level of service they provide, they just do the minimum.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2exactly:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

slg
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
I always do my best at my job, always, and I don't get tips. Why do we assume that everyone will do a lousy job if they don't get tipped? Those of you who don't work in the service industry, do you do the bare minimum at work because you don't get a tip? Let's not assume that those who do service work only go the extra mile because they'll get a better tip and not because they don't take pride in their work.

I assume everyone will try to do their very best at their job, and if they don't, then its up to the employer to discipline the employee. This would be very, very easy for DCL to monitor through their guest surveys. Those employees who don't do well need to be addressed in some manner. Perhaps demoted?

I would prefer that tips be included in the cost of the cruise and that the servers get fair wages. I would prefer that the good service I am getting is sincere and not given in order to get the "better" tip.

I understand that this is industry standard, but I personally think its time that the industry changed. Good workers should get promoted, and get bonuses, and lousy ones don't. Its up to DCL to decide based on feedback and not for great servers to get stiffed because some people don't want to "waste" their money on tips, or perhaps, feel the cruise is already too expensive. Its not fair to those hardworking people! The cruise industry always wins out in the end, because they can promote cheaper prices to entice more customers, but don't have to pay their workers.

Just my two cents.

shushh
03-02-2010, 03:35 AM
I always do my best at my job, always, and I don't get tips. Why do we assume that everyone will do a lousy job if they don't get tipped? Those of you who don't work in the service industry, do you do the bare minimum at work because you don't get a tip? Let's not assume that those who do service work only go the extra mile because they'll get a better tip and not because they don't take pride in their work.

I assume everyone will try to do their very best at their job, and if they don't, then its up to the employer to discipline the employee. This would be very, very easy for DCL to monitor through their guest surveys. Those employees who don't do well need to be addressed in some manner. Perhaps demoted?

I would prefer that tips be included in the cost of the cruise and that the servers get fair wages. I would prefer that the good service I am getting is sincere and not given in order to get the "better" tip.

I understand that this is industry standard, but I personally think its time that the industry changed. Good workers should get promoted, and get bonuses, and lousy ones don't. Its up to DCL to decide based on feedback and not for great servers to get stiffed because some people don't want to "waste" their money on tips, or perhaps, feel the cruise is already too expensive. Its not fair to those hardworking people! The cruise industry always wins out in the end, because they can promote cheaper prices to entice more customers, but don't have to pay their workers.

Just my two cents.

Very well put 2 cents! :thumbsup2

PearlySwan
03-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Has anyone used this cruise tips calculator? http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

On a Disney Cruise:

Dining Room Server $4/pp/day
Assistant Server $3/pp/day
Head Server $1/pp/day
Stateroom Host/Hostess $4/pp/day

For a family of 4 this translates to a TOTAL of $12/pp/day for all servers' tips. Tipping a total of $12 per person per day doesn't seem all that outrageous to me. I'm certain we've all left much bigger tips than $12 on a single dinner to a single server at the Cheesecake Factory, or some other restaurant chain out there.

I wouldn't support having tips automatically built into the cruise price for the simple reason that just might decrease the quality of service. When you know your performance will dictate your paycheck, you'll want to do your job really really well. Yes, what another poster said earlier is true. The main dining room servers on DCL get paid next to nothing from DCL. Their true income is passenger tips. Unless you feel your servers didn't do a good job, don't stiff them. They worked for you and your family throughout your cruise. Give them a paycheck.

Getting back to the main topic of this thread. No. I don't think the third dining option you suggested would take care of the people who complain about tipping. They'll find some other thing to complain about. ;)

bigAWL
03-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I like to look at numbers.

If tipping the serving crew in the dining rooms is really about tipping them for all the service they provide at different places for three meals (and this is just about those three people, since a PP said he was told be a CM that they are the only ones not working practically only for tips), then I thought it might be useful for some to break this down into what they might pay in tips for each meal during the typical day on board.

The recommended tips for my family of five is $40 per day for these three servers (4+3+1 * 5). During a typical day at WDW, if we were to eat at a buffet for breakfast and lunch and then a nice table service place for dinner, I might expect the buffet meals to cost about half what the TS meal does at a nice restaurant. If I applied the regular suggested tip amounts to those meals (10% for a buffet and 15% for a TS), we might see costs in this neighborhood:

Breakfast Buffet$....$80 bill, $8 tip
Lunch Buffet:.........$80 bill, $8 tip
Dinner Restaurant:..$160 bill, $24 tip

Those tips total $40, conveniently exactly what DCL suggests I tip (it took me hours to get those numbers just right).

Those look pretty resonable to me for the high level of service I expect to get on the cruise. Certainly worth increasing for great service. I would certainly encourage people not to skip an entire day's tips because they didn't eat in the main dining room. But I can't say I would fault someone for reducing that to say $24 for the day that they ate at the buffet for dinner instead of the main dining room. That's $8 each meal, and representative of the level of service received.

Does that cheat the servers? Maybe it does - after all, they were there in the dining room working hard. But really if my family of five isn't there, then they worked that much less. Did it cost them the opportunity to earn more because no one could fill your table? Sure. But then the $8 I did include should help a little.

Many people are saying if you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to cruise. You might also think that if the servers can't afford to miss a tip, then they might want to look for a salaried position.

tvguy
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Just my two cents.

Valid opinion, but in my experience, based on 8 cruises, 1 where tips were prohibits, 1 with automatic tips, and 6 with tipping at your descretion, the last option always produced the best service. No tipped allowed was a close second, but that was on a French cruise ship, and the fare was through the roof.

NewDCLGuy
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
These passengers would still get room service, could dine at to topsiders / beach blanket buffett, pluto’s, Cookies barbecue, that pizza place by the Goofy pool, Palo’s (for the same additional fee as others) and dine onshore in port. How do you expect the room service / topsiders / buffet / barbecue / etc. workers to get paid?

The solution is much simpler. The cruise lines should pay their employees a decent wage, raise rates a bit, and get rid of tipping.

EDIT - Just reading the posts from folks who think tips are required in order for employees to provide good service... any of you people ever been to a place called Walt Disney World? Outstanding service from (most of) the CM's; no tipping required. It's all in hiring the right people and training them well.

JTN2005
03-02-2010, 07:28 PM
We took our first Disney Cruise last year on the Magic. The service the entire week was outstanding. I also work in the service industry, so maybe I am a little more picky when it comes to tipping. Our service was so great, we tipped above what Disney suggested. If the service had not been good I am sure I would have tipped less. I guess it comes down to a personal preference, but in general I have always tipped well and have generally received very good service.

AKMOUSE
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I really liked what BigAWL said.
But, here is my two cents (no tip necessary :laughing: )
A tip is for going above and beyond is at the discretion of those providing the tip.

As a customer, we shouldn't be worried about how much money the server is making from the paying company (I.E. Disney, Carnival, etc..., but simply reward them for their hardwork with the international language of $$$ :thumbsup2

Also, I do not care for the idea of 'pre-tipping' or putting it automatically on my credit card. Instead, I like to acknowledge the hard work and leave the tip for the person instead of hoping they get it and realize I acknowledged them or think I stiffed them.

Which do you prefer tipping anonymously or with cash??

jilljill
03-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I do not care for the idea of 'pre-tipping' or putting it automatically on my credit card. Instead, I like to acknowledge the hard work and leave the tip for the person instead of hoping they get it and realize I acknowledged them or think I stiffed them.

Which do you prefer tipping anonymously or with cash??

On DCL when you pre-pay your tips, either before boarding or while on the ship, you will be given vouchers that you hand to your servers/stateroom host. We do this route with the suggested tips and if we feel it's warranted we'll add additional cash to the envelope.

NewDCLGuy
03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
As a customer, we shouldn't be worried about how much money the server is making from the paying company (I.E. Disney, Carnival, etc..., but simply reward them for their hardwork with the international language of $$$ :thumbsup2

We *shouldn't* have to, but we do. Unfortunately, that's the way the system works. Tips aren't just a reward, it's the staff's primary income. We can't ignore it.

Also, I do not care for the idea of 'pre-tipping' or putting it automatically on my credit card. Instead, I like to acknowledge the hard work and leave the tip for the person instead of hoping they get it and realize I acknowledged them or think I stiffed them. If you pretip, it isn't anonymous. You get vouchers to give to the staff, along with any extra cash you feel is deserved.

tvguy
03-02-2010, 09:39 PM
We *shouldn't* have to, but we do. Unfortunately, that's the way the system works. Tips aren't just a reward, it's the staff's primary income. We can't ignore it.

I agree the system is the pits, but it's still around because it is the system that works best overall.

bigAWL
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
As far as doing away with tipping altogether, is it useful to point out that Palo servers are not a tipped position? Do you think the service there would noticeably improve if they were changed to tipped?

"Mmmmmm... you might, Rabbit. You might."

Personally, I think their service is already above that of the tipped servers in the main dining rooms. Presumably, they are there because they are the best servers. Presumably, they keep performing at a high level because they want to keep their jobs (or hopefully also because they like what they do). I don't imagine removing their salary and adding tips would help very much. In fact I can think in some cases it may hurt - adding a level of stress to the job that could negatively affect performance and job satisfaction.

I don't doubt that people have had worse service on cruises that had automatic or no tipping. But there could be other factors in this. Is it possible that the total earnings in those cases actually averaged less than on the cruise with tips (a lot of cruisers are very generous with tips when allowed to be). This could be guarded against by making sure the wage (plus automatic tip if applicable) is high enough to attract the best people.

Hypothetically, if Disney were to go the route of automatic tipping or no tipping (and I don't think they will), I think I'd prefer they choose no tipping, simply pay the servers a fair wage, and wrap that into the cost of my cruise. When you call it an automatic tip, then I feel unempowered, and that it's just another add-on fee that is "nickel and diming" me above the advertised cruise rate. When you wrap it into the advertised cruise rate, then I feel pampered (one step closer to all-inclusive). Silly, I guess, but that's me.

Dicecatt
03-03-2010, 01:10 AM
As far as doing away with tipping altogether, is it useful to point out that Palo servers are not a tipped position? Do you think the service there would noticeably improve if they were changed to tipped?

"Mmmmmm... you might, Rabbit. You might."

Personally, I think their service is already above that of the tipped servers in the main dining rooms. Presumably, they are there because they are the best servers. Presumably, they keep performing at a high level because they want to keep their jobs (or hopefully also because they like what they do). I don't imagine removing their salary and adding tips would help very much. In fact I can think in some cases it may hurt - adding a level of stress to the job that could negatively affect performance and job satisfaction.

I don't doubt that people have had worse service on cruises that had automatic or no tipping. But there could be other factors in this. Is it possible that the total earnings in those cases actually averaged less than on the cruise with tips (a lot of cruisers are very generous with tips when allowed to be). This could be guarded against by making sure the wage (plus automatic tip if applicable) is high enough to attract the best people.

Hypothetically, if Disney were to go the route of automatic tipping or no tipping (and I don't think they will), I think I'd prefer they choose no tipping, simply pay the servers a fair wage, and wrap that into the cost of my cruise. When you call it an automatic tip, then I feel unempowered, and that it's just another add-on fee that is "nickel and diming" me above the advertised cruise rate. When you wrap it into the advertised cruise rate, then I feel pampered (one step closer to all-inclusive). Silly, I guess, but that's me.

I've always tipped my Palo servers. There is a place on your charge slip for $15 pp and for any drinks you ordered for gratuity...I gave my last Palo server $40. I'm pretty sure they are tipped pretty well:thumbsup2.

bigAWL
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
I've always tipped my Palo servers. There is a place on your charge slip for $15 pp and for any drinks you ordered for gratuity...I gave my last Palo server $40. I'm pretty sure they are tipped pretty well:thumbsup2.

Ahhh. perhaps my mistake. Now that you mention it, I think I do recall that opportunity to tip after the meal. I remember trying to figure out what I might have paid for this kind of meal elsewhere, and then deciding how much was a good tip.

I was thinking only of the end of cruise tipping envelopes. Thanks for pointing that out. Ignore my previous post.

Dicecatt
03-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Ahhh. perhaps my mistake. Now that you mention it, I think I do recall that opportunity to tip after the meal. I remember trying to figure out what I might have paid for this kind of meal elsewhere, and then deciding how much was a good tip.

I was thinking only of the end of cruise tipping envelopes. Thanks for pointing that out. Ignore my previous post.

I did the exact same thing...what would be the price of two filets plus a lobster macaroni for only 2 people, lol. It seemed like our server kept bringing out entrees!

Maryrn11168
03-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Slightly off-topic:

To other families of 5 thinking of booking a cruise, we've never paid $13,000 even for a 15-night Panama Canal cruise! Nor have we ever paid more than $1,700 for airfare even during busy Spring Break. With the exception of our Panama Canal cruise, our family of 5 has cruised on two DCL 7 night cruises for less than $6,000 all-in including airfare, tips and excursions. We're going again in three weeks and it will be even lower in total cost, but it's also a 4-night with a couple of days at WDW added.
I know it is off topic , but it can cost more than this poster thinks!!

Here is my Jet Blue info: as you can see total cost:
Departing Flight #149JFKMCO3/27 7:55AM3/27 11:00AMReturning Flight #154MCOJFK4/3 12:50PM4/3 3:37PM
Fare: $760.93 x 5 = $3,804.65Taxes & Fees $392.35Total: $4,197.00

Presentation
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM

Departing Flight #149JFKMCO3/27 7:55AM3/27 11:00AMReturning Flight #154MCOJFK4/3 12:50PM4/3 3:37PM

Yes, you can book and pay that.

Another alternative is to look at multiple airports, multiple flight times. It may mean getting up at 1:00 AM to drive 4 hours to get to another airport and fly at a off-peak time.

I can grab the local airport at peak travel times for rates like you posted. I donít. I drive to Milwaukee or Chicago and fly odd times for about $200 total per person.

Presentation
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM

OK, I would keep looking but in like 10 seconds I found this....
$318 + $41 taxes + fees = $359 per person

Sat, Mar 27: Depart 12:30PM
Arrive 05:38PM
Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA (ABE)
Orlando International Airport, FL (MCO) Delta Air Lines - 1 Stop
Flight 4123 / 2422
Operated by: PINNACLE DBA DELTA CONNECTION
Sat, Apr 3: Depart 05:15PM
Arrive 09:36PM
Orlando International Airport, FL (MCO)
Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA (ABE) US Airways - 1 Stop
Flight 1776 / 2668
Operated by: US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-MESA AIRLINES

KSDisneyDad
03-03-2010, 05:54 PM

I do realize that fares can sometimes be very high - especially during peak times and last minute. However, you can also pay a lot less with planning. Just because you paid that doesn't mean that all other families of 5 can afford to do it. We found roundtrip airfare for $125 one time -- does that mean that all familes of 5 can expect to pay $125 roundtrip each time they fly to Orlando?

Your particular airfares are higher per person than the cost per person of our Spring Break cruise itself. If I was in that situation, we'd have to do something different. We've never paid more than $325 per person for airfare and the only reason we justified paying that is because it is Spring Break and we had already saved over $2,000 on the cruise itself with the kids sail free promotion. We generally budget $200 to $250 per person for airfare and I can often find it for less by watching the fares. We fly Southwest, so if the fares go down, I can rebook and use the savings for another trip.

OK, I would keep looking but in like 10 seconds I found this....
$318 + $41 taxes + fees = $359 per person

Sat, Mar 27: Depart 12:30PM
Arrive 05:38PM
Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA (ABE)
Orlando International Airport, FL (MCO) Delta Air Lines - 1 Stop
Flight 4123 / 2422
Operated by: PINNACLE DBA DELTA CONNECTION
Sat, Apr 3: Depart 05:15PM
Arrive 09:36PM
Orlando International Airport, FL (MCO)
Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA (ABE) US Airways - 1 Stop
Flight 1776 / 2668
Operated by: US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-MESA AIRLINES

Yes, you can book and pay that.

Another alternative is to look at multiple airports, multiple flight times. It may mean getting up at 1:00 AM to drive 4 hours to get to another airport and fly at a off-peak time.

I can grab the local airport at peak travel times for rates like you posted. I donít. I drive to Milwaukee or Chicago and fly odd times for about $200 total per person.

Thanks Presentation for helping me with my point.

I realize that this went off-topic, but I felt is was very misleading to new cruisers with a family of 5 to think that a Disney Cruise costs $13,000 plus another $4,000 for airfare. I'm sure that there have been lots of families of 5 that have paid that, but I believe the vast majority pay a lot less (including us). I simply wanted other families of 5 to know that the costs don't have to be as high as the poster indicated even during Spring Break or summer.

ruadisneyfan2
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM

:scared1:
I think the most I ever paid for airfare was $239+tax and that was for Thanksgiving week on the Magic, 2008. We usually can find flights to/from Philly for around $84-99 + tax these days.

Also last cruise our neighbor/friends, a family of 5, cruised with us on the Magic and got 2 cabins for $4600. Just saying, don't feel like you HAVE to get a cat 4. There are alternatives.
I'd be doing a lot more homework before believing that your prices are the only way to go, even if that amount were easy to cough up.

Maryrn11168
03-03-2010, 07:56 PM
:scared1:
I think the most I ever paid for airfare was $239+tax and that was for Thanksgiving week on the Magic, 2008. We usually can find flights to/from Philly for around $84-99 + tax these days.

Also last cruise our neighbor/friends, a family of 5, cruised with us on the Magic and got 2 cabins for $4600. Just saying, don't feel like you HAVE to get a cat 4. There are alternatives.
I'd be doing a lot more homework before believing that your prices are the only way to go, even if that amount were easy to cough up.

I do not live in Pennsylvainia, nor do I want to drive 3 hours or more in NY traffic to get to an airport. All I was saying is that people are looking for ways to save a few pennies while cruising because it is very expensive, so THEY (NOT ME) think that if they don't eat in the dining room then they don't have to tip.

Presentation
03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I do not live in Pennsylvainia, nor do I want to drive 3 hours or more in NY traffic to get to an airport. All I was saying is that people are looking for ways to save a few pennies while cruising because it is very expensive, so THEY (NOT ME) think that if they don't eat in the dining room then they don't have to tip.

No issue, I understand.

You can make it convenient or make it less expensive. Pick one.

ruadisneyfan2
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM

You're right. No one has to be happy with your deal but you. :goodvibes

UK-Simon
03-04-2010, 06:59 AM
I really never get why this ever becomes an issue. Disney does not hide the fact that tipping is expected for good service and that it costs extra.

If you get the good service you were looking for- Pay the damn tip! (Even if you decide to not use the restaurants everyday.)

If the service you received was above and beyond your expectations, consider leaving the service team something extra if you can.

If your service sucked, or was below your expectations- please tell your head server or dining room manager, and reduce the tip accordingly.

It's not a hidden cost, nor is it rocket science.

Not trying to offend anyone, I just see it as a required cost. On my first Disney cruise I was working at Epcot on the International program. I earned less money than you can imagine (non-tipped position). However, I knew it was expected that I had to tip, and I had to this day the best Assistant server I've ever had in 7 cruises. We still tipped more than the recommended amount, because the service was awesome, no matter how little I earned. Moral of the story- you know the deal up front, pay it or stay home.

jiminyC_fan
03-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I really never get why this ever becomes an issue. Disney does not hide the fact that tipping is expected for good service and that it costs extra.

If you get the good service you were looking for- Pay the damn tip! (Even if you decide to not use the restaurants everyday.)

If the service you received was above and beyond your expectations, consider leaving the service team something extra if you can.

If your service sucked, or was below your expectations- please tell your head server or dining room manager, and reduce the tip accordingly.

It's not a hidden cost, nor is it rocket science.

Not trying to offend anyone, I just see it as a required cost. On my first Disney cruise I was working at Epcot on the International program. I earned less money than you can imagine (non-tipped position). However, I knew it was expected that I had to tip, and I had to this day the best Assistant server I've ever had in 7 cruises. We still tipped more than the recommended amount, because the service was awesome, no matter how little I earned. Moral of the story- you know the deal up front, pay it or stay home.

:thumbsup2

tvguy
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM

I think because Disney is so much more expensive that other cruise lines, some folks wonder why tips are not included in the price.
And in general, a lot of folks aren't comfortable with tipping anyway.
And of course in some cultures, tipping is not the norm, and in some cases leaving a tip is considered insulting.

budwmn
03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I have no problem tipping: 15% for satisfactory service, 20% for normal good service, 25% for amazing service.

I'm happy to tip the service staff. Last time on DCL, I prepaid my tips. This was nice because we didn't freak out on the last day when we saw our bill.

My problem is not with the recommended amounts, but that DCL has left so many other positions without recommendations.

For example, I'm never quite sure about what to tip at Palo. Plus, we travel in suites. There are no guidelines about how much to tip the concierge. We always double the amount the room steward gets. How much is a reasonable tip for the children's programming staff?

The problem is not that I don't want to tip, it's that I don't know how much to tip. I don't want to under pay, nor do I want to over pay.

For that reason, I'd prefer the cruise to be all inclusive. Admittedly, I doubt DCL would ever do this, but it sure would make life easier. I've been to many high end resorts and hotels where the staff would not accept a tip. They told me excellent service was part of their job. Instead, they told me if I felt compelled, I could simply make a comment on the comment card. Obviously, management rewarded them in other ways. I disagree with those who say without tips, service would suffer. If someone is making a good living and enjoys their job, they want to keep.

tinkattitude!
03-05-2010, 02:24 AM
On the three cruises we've been on we've tipped above the recommended amounts on all but one occasion, and then still for that particular server we tipped the recommended amount.

That being said, we would love it if the cruise line would build it into the cost of the fare.

One Reason being when I go to a restaurant, I'm not reminded at every single meal, that I'm getting "excellent service". "Please don't forget that the service you are being provided is excellent." "Our service was excellent tonight, no?" All of our servers have done this, it gets old by the third or fourth night. I know you're providing me with good service, you don't have to remind me.

The other being, if you state in advance that you were planning to not eat in the dining room one night, you get a super long spiel about not coming for dinner, or come anyway, or whatever because they are fearful that they won't get the same kind of tip from you. We purposely did not bring formal attire on our last cruise and were planning on eating at Topsiders, and were so guilted into eating in the dining room that we went. I shouldn't feel that way on my vacation.

UK-Simon
03-05-2010, 05:46 AM
To a certain degree I agree with the concept of including the tips in the price, however, it won't ever happen.

Reason being, Disney ultimately want to sell cruises. The lower the cruise fare appears to be, the more attracted people will be to it.

If the tips are included but their initial price appears $200 more expensive, I wonder how much business Disney would loose.

Even though the majority of people realize up front they will be spending more on tips, that initial purchase price can have such a huge impact on their sales, I doubt it will ever change.

Dicecatt
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
One Reason being when I go to a restaurant, I'm not reminded at every single meal, that I'm getting "excellent service". "Please don't forget that the service you are being provided is excellent." "Our service was excellent tonight, no?" All of our servers have done this, it gets old by the third or fourth night. I know you're providing me with good service, you don't have to remind me.

I have to agree with you here...3 out of 4 cruises were like that for us where the server went on and on about the service and all but begged us to fill out the card at the end with his name on it. Only my first server didn't and he probably got the best comments from me:) I don't mind them asking me to fill that thing out, I know they get acololades and it probably helps with their next contract, but I'm smart...ask me once, I'll remember. And if you TELL me the service I am receiving is excellent, it becomes a little less excellent ;) I'm not commenting on the tip issue, I've alredy addressed my personal feelings regarding that, but I just had to agree that what you mentioned here is quite annoying.

sbell111
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM

If you get the good service you were looking for- Pay the damn tip! (Even if you decide to not use the restaurants everyday.) ...I also don't understand why this is such a huge issue, but not for the same reasons as you. I don't understand why people care how much others leave as a tip. I certainly don't understand why people would actually attempt to bully others into changing their tipping behavior.

jilljill
03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
This thread has just about run it's course.
Tipping is always a heated topic and I'm going to close this thread now before it goes the wrong way.