PDA

View Full Version : Seabands????

iluvwdw4ever
02-28-2010, 05:12 PM
We will be leaving on our first cruise this Saturday and have bought the seabands for everyone in the family. Should these be put on before we get on the ship or just when and if we feel sick??? Just want to make sure that we are prepared!!!! Thanks for your help!!!!

inkkognito
02-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Just put them on at the first sign of queasiness. I am not usually prone to seasickness but every once in a while I can feel it, especially if it's a rocky trip and I'm at Palo or some other upper deck area. I pop on the Seabands and voila! I never need to use them for the whole cruise but I'm sure you could.

mammacaryn
02-28-2010, 05:19 PM
We will be leaving on our first cruise this Saturday and have bought the seabands for everyone in the family. Should these be put on before we get on the ship or just when and if we feel sick??? Just want to make sure that we are prepared!!!! Thanks for your help!!!!

Seabands and Bonine....you are nervous :)

Have fun....we are on the same cruise.

mmmears
02-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I just read the instructions that came with mine and it said it's better to prevent seasickness than to try to cure it -- they recommend putting them on before. My family is very prone to motion sickness, though, so I think we may end up being much more proactive than most people need to be.;) I already have the seabands and 2 different prescriptions from my doctor.:rotfl: I should also add that we haven't actually gone on our DCL cruise yet, so I'm not speaking from experience here, but I've been doing my research this past week.

inkkognito
02-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I just read the instructions that came with mine and it said it's better to prevent seasickness than to try to cure it -- they recommend putting them on before. My family is very prone to motion sickness, though, so I think we may end up being much more proactive than most people need to be.;) .
Good point! Since I don't usually get seasick, I'm fine if I wait until I start feeling a bit queasy to put them on. That isn't all that often for me anyway. If you're prone, prevention sounds like a very good policy. :thumbsup2

cissy
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I would love for someone to post here who IS prone to seasickness. What helped? I am very prone to motion sickness and will not even get on a carousel or even spin around on my office chair.

How much does the boat really rock. And I have read there is a new propulsion system for the Dream that is supposed to be better but I wonder if anyone out there has been on one of the new system cruises???

Thanks!

clawmachine
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
I get seasick in even mild waters and I get carsick too. I've been this way since I was a little kid. I still love to cruise and this will be my 5th (plus was on a lot of smaller vessels as a kid). I used ONLY a seaband on our last cruise and it really did not help me at all. I got sick quite a bit. The only reason I did not use an oral medicine was because I was pregnant and being overly careful. I have always found that the OTC meds like Dramamine and Bonine help me a lot and I have a great time! I'd use both - the seaband is totally natural and should be safe to use all week and then you can alter your med intake as you see fit...

ETA:

From how I understand it, seasickness results from the brain not being able to reconcile the movement with what your eyes can see. It always helps me greatly to spend time on the edges of a ship looking over a balcony, where I can see the horizon. The fresh air helps too. The worst times for me have always been walking down interior hallways and sitting in restaurants or theaters which were in the center of a ship with no windows... But again, the meds have always mitigated even those times...

dizmomof2
02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
My mom is VERY prone to seasickness. Just looking at the ship makes her stomach turn. :sick: She uses the Sea Bands and has taken close to a dozen happy cruises. She puts them on while we are still at the dock before we board and keeps them on the whole time. :thumbsup2 She still has problems with the tenders though. She not bad if they are short and the sea is calm but she'd rather just stay on the ship if it's rocking out there! (everyone on the tender would rather she stay on the ship too!)

She had tried the different medications, the patch, bonine etc. but they all made her sleepy and she wasn't enjoying the cruise as much. Each cruise she does find that she can go longer and longer in calm waters without the Sea Bands.:thumbsup2 I don't know if they work for everyone but they are a miracle for her.

lafa
02-28-2010, 06:58 PM
do you keep the bands on in the shower, pools, and ocean? just wondering what happens when they get wet? my 4 yo will be wearing them for our cruise next week and wondering how they will feel when they get wet.
thanks.

HillSil
02-28-2010, 07:12 PM
The joke in my family is that I get seasick in the bathtub. :rotfl2: Thankfully, only one of my kids inherited this. We just got home from a not so smooth Magic cruise. I always wear 1/2 a patch (a full one makes me loopy) and I gave my DS9 a 1/4 of a patch. I let his wear off and he was fine. On the roughest day I wore sea bands. They were great. My only issue with them is that they drive me crazy when they are wet. So, I bring 2 pairs and that way, I can have a dry one ready to go. Hope this helps!
:sail:

lafa
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks hillsil, that is a great idea to bring two pairs! i know my little one probably won't like the feeling when they are wet.

TKH
02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
As a pharmacist, I'll offer my opinion...first, try to prevent seasickness. Once you feel it, it can be very difficult to get control of. I am prone to motion sickness and take a meclizine 25 mg each night beginning the night before boarding. Take it at night and you won't generally notice the drowsiness at all. It's not worth skipping it if your worried (worrying/thinking about it can even bring it on or magnify it!) - don't want to ruin your trip by not feeling well! :). Second, very, very few kids get motion sickness. A four year old should be just fine alone! Good luck!

TwingleMum
02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
The joke in my family is that I get seasick in the bathtub. :rotfl2: Thankfully, only one of my kids inherited this. We just got home from a not so smooth Magic cruise. I always wear 1/2 a patch (a full one makes me loopy) and I gave my DS9 a 1/4 of a patch. I let his wear off and he was fine. On the roughest day I wore sea bands. They were great. My only issue with them is that they drive me crazy when they are wet. So, I bring 2 pairs and that way, I can have a dry one ready to go. Hope this helps!

What patch???

TKH
02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Probably scopolamine

lafa
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
As a pharmacist, I'll offer my opinion...first, try to prevent seasickness. Once you feel it, it can be very difficult to get control of. I am prone to motion sickness and take a meclizine 25 mg each night beginning the night before boarding. Take it at night and you won't generally notice the drowsiness at all. It's not worth skipping it if your worried (worrying/thinking about it can even bring it on or magnify it!) - don't want to ruin your trip by not feeling well! :). Second, very, very few kids get motion sickness. A four year old should be just fine alone! Good luck!

my 4 yo gets motion sickness in the car, and this is our first cruise so i am hoping the sea bands will be all she needs! hopefully they will work for her! she usually takes dramamine for a long car ride but i really don't want to give that to her because it does make her sleepy. we shall see if the bands work!

ShannonR
03-01-2010, 05:39 AM
My son, DS13, gets violently ill from sea sickness, usually only one day out of the entire trip. The first cruise was the very first night and the second cruise was right in the middle when we had VERY rough waters. I had him wearing the sea bands both times and found they didn't work for him at all. Now the bonine tablets were a different story. I gave him two tablets each time and put him to bed. Yes, he missed out on a night of the cruise, but he was vomiting both times and was glad to go to sleep;)

I guess you will have to see what is best for you!

Shannon

disneydawgs4
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
...and it was so bad that he took it off before we left the airport for the boat!:rotfl2: He put it on the night before we were to leave PC and by the next morning he felt "wacked out" and said his mouth was the driest it had ever been. He took it off and within 3 hours he was back to normal. From then on, he used the non-drowsy Dramimine each day and did great for our March 09 cruise. Granted, on our Nov 08 cruise, he tried the oral meds and the seas were much rougher, and he felt yucky the whole time we were moving. He never "got sick", just felt "off".
His sister, who can't ride in a car withour Seabands, used the bands on their Sep 09 cruise and did great. She swears by them.
Now me, I'm just weird, I do absolutely wonderful on the boat, it's after we get off at port or at the airport on the way home and the 3-4 days following a cruise, that I feel weird! Maybe I was supposed to be a mermaid?!?:rotfl::lmao:

dhdozier
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I get motion sickness very easily too.Going on my 3rd cruise on the Wonder next week and will be wearing sea bands as long as ship is moving and taking Bonine 1. starting the night before 2. each night of cruise and 3. for 2 days after the trip to stop that crazy still moving feeling, lol :lmao:

weich1001
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I only ever got seasick one other time and it was horrible. But in the course of my lifetime been on boats and ships many times over and never had an ill effect.

December 17th Wonder Cruise was a different story. I had on seabands when we boarded, since the weather was already not that great. In the early afternoon took 2 dramamine, followed by 2 at night, followed by 2 Medique they had on board (sometime overnight). I don't remember anything! I wore the seabands the rest of the cruise. All be it anyone on that cruise knows it was a rough one. But honestly, I think seasickness can hit anyone, anytime without warning. You just have to hope for the best and find what works for you! :thumbsup2

b00kw0rm429
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Perhaps the pharmacist can answer this one...any issues with taking bonine before bed and having a few drinks the next day? That's half the fun of the cruise...sucking down fruity drinks in the sunshine! TIA!

iluvwdw4ever
03-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks so much for the help everyone!!!!:thumbsup2

luckyfamilyof3
03-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Regular seabands are made of terry cloth and would get soggy and uncomfortable when wet. But there are plastic ones (that are more fun to look at too) available on Amazon. They are called Psi bands (http://www.amazon.com/TravelSmith-Psi-Bands/dp/B002A4KN74/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267487831&sr=8-11).

I bought a pair of these to go with my old faithful seabands.

luckyfamilyof3
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Perhaps the pharmacist can answer this one...any issues with taking bonine before bed and having a few drinks the next day? That's half the fun of the cruise...sucking down fruity drinks in the sunshine! TIA!

When I asked my doctor about the patch, he said I might get dry mouth. But if it happened, to have a cocktail. So I asked if it was okay to drink on the patch and bonine, and he said yes.

bibbidibobbidibecky
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Seabands saved my life on our cruise! I took them once I started to feel bad and almost immediately I felt fine and I was feeling pretty bad...dizzy and nauseated. My girls never felt bad but my son did...he slept it off, but I should have, in hindsight, put some on him, too.

TKH
03-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Mixing meclizine (bonine) with alcohol can intensify the effects of both...making you sleepier. If you're going to drink alcohol anyway, just go slow and try it at home first. And if you plan to drink much, maybe try the SeaBands.
And I ought to add...always best to ask your doctor.

Mtopher4
03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Can my DS age 8 on ADD meds and myself on Cymbalta take Bonine?

msnoble
03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
We're just off the Wonder 2/21-25, our first cruise. DS9 tends to get very motion sick in the car, and get nauseous when nervous/anxious so this was a concern for me. Neither of my kids were willing to wear the SeaBands--found them tight and uncomfortable (they were wearing the adult ones, as the pharmacy didn't have the kids' ones--not sure if that was why they felt tight??). DS used Dramamine twice a day (it doesn't make him sleepy at all, if you can believe that!), DD and I used Bonine at night, starting the day before the cruise. I never felt nauseous, but did have this weird feeling in my head, usually only when in the theater (all the way forward) while we were crossing from US to Bahamian waters, or vice versa. I continued the Bonine for 2 days after we got off, until I got my 'land legs' again--kids only took their meds for 1 day after and then said they were fine.

Our true godsend though, was :worship: a pack of Ginger Gum, also made by the SeaBands company. We bought it at Walgreen's, it was right next to the SeaBands bracelets. If DS started to feel a little queasy, he just popped a piece in, and was instantly better. The first few bites are kind of spicy, so he liked to have some water handy, but after that he was great. It even helped when the toddler sitting 1 seat over from him in the theater threw up :scared1:--he just stuck the gum under his nose so he couldn't smell the ick. We'll never travel without Ginger gum again :thumbsup2

mickeyfan1
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Not to discourage you, but this question needs to be asked of your child's doctor, not here. He or she is the only one who knows your son's medical history and the true drug interaction.

TKH
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Sorry, but especially with prescription drugs involved you really need to ask your doctor. Even with the question about mixing Bonine with alcohol, it's ALWAYS best to ask the doctor who knows your health history.