PDA

View Full Version : Formal nights and Tux

rav4lcrv
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Has anyone considered not doing any of the sit down meals on an 11 day cruise? We're booked for 11 days in August and prefer to be in comfortable clothes the whole time, eat when we want and not dine with a table full of strangers, I know we might miss some great meals but we did the Tux and dress thing on our first cruise and doing ABD this one will be enough formality for us

kcashner
02-28-2010, 04:27 PM
You do not need a tux for formal night. You will see everything from jeans to ball gowns and tux...and everything in between. Most people make some effort, but you will be fine in a suit and "church dress" if this is your choice. You will not be out of place at all, and should not avoid the dining room because you choose to not be as dressy as some.

I'm on the trans-Atlantic. There's no way that I can bring 3 formals given luggage limitations, etc. I'll probably bring one long dress and wear it at least twice. It's a DCL ship, not a White House state dinner.

eva
02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Has anyone considered not doing any of the sit down meals on an 11 day cruise? We're booked for 11 days in August and prefer to be in comfortable clothes the whole time, eat when we want and not dine with a table full of strangers, I know we might miss some great meals but we did the Tux and dress thing on our first cruise and doing ABD this one will be enough formality for us

Not sure which cruise you are on, but we will be on the August 28th Med cruise. And we might opt out of the main dining room a couple nights, but not the entire cruise. We won't be doing it because of the dress though. We may eat in Topsiders or utilize room service when we feel like eating ealier than our late dining time of 8:15. Some of those excursions on the Med will have early meet times. I guess I am getting too old. I can't eat a huge dinner till 10:00 and then head to bed in an hour or two and get up at 5:30 in the morning for a 7:00 meet time. My stomach just can't handle that.

You can do just fine with a nice pair of capris or dockers every night. I wouldn't worry too much about the formal wear. Many people have said that the Med cruises seem to be a bit more laid back in dress. If you don't want to do the formal dress, don't.