PDA

View Full Version : WDW before or after DCL

LuvDisney09
02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
We are going on the March 27 2011 sailing in the Dream. We are also planning on visiting WDW. So I know this may seem like a stupid question but would you do WDW before or after the cruise. We are going to be with my 5 year old DD.
Thanks in Advance :)

Andrew DEREK UK
02-28-2010, 12:52 PM
We are going on the March 27 2011 sailing in the Dream. We are also planning on visiting WDW. So I know this may seem like a stupid question but would you do WDW before or after the cruise. We are going to be with my 5 year old DD.
Thanks in Advance :)

I would say either, as Easter is very late starting on the 24th April,I always work mine out to crowd levels at WDW, and also peak hotel rates. If it was going to bump into a holiday avoid it. Normally people do WDW first then cruise as its more relaxing.

School holidays is a factor.

But for example we did WDW/CRUISE/BACK TO WDW; In August 2009, the pre WDW stay WDW was very busy, USA schools out, with two/three hour waits on rides, post cruise it was after the August 20th, and WDW was rather empty with queues of 5>10 minutes so it depends on expected crowd levels there. Easter will be manic.

Lots of UK people go to WDW at Easter for two weeks that will start from about the 7th April.

disney 2010
02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Not a stupid question people actually ask it often:) We chose before and were glad we did. Disney was exciting and exhausting! We really relaxed and enjoyed the cruise after. Even though there was lots to do the pace was much slower:banana:

kcashner
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
We find it easier to go to WDW before the cruise. The parks are a lot of walking, and MOM is still "on duty" making sure that everyone is doing some of what they want, getting to eat, etc. The ship is very relaxing and mom is on vacation too!

We also find it easier for a child to re-enter the "real world" by going home after the cruise. THey tend to get spoiled on the ship--the servers do everything to please them. PJs on the floor are magically folded, etc. Sorry, I don't wait on mine at home ...at least not like that!

tink576
02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Normally I would say do WDW before your cruise...but since it's close to easter I'd study the various spring break dates and possibly go after if it would mean fewer crowds

kcashner
02-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Spring break extends from the beginning of March to at least the middle of April depending on the school! Yes, spring is a busy time, but it's not like holidays that involve one day or weekend for everyone.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Normally I would say do WDW before your cruise...but since it's close to Easter I'd study the various spring break dates and possibly go after if it would mean fewer crowds

I agree I always study WDW crowd patterns so it can be either, in this case, I can tell you the major UK tour operators to Florida, are booked up on the weekend of 8/9th April, Brits, will be taking two weeks vacation in Florida and maybe first week is WDW, then somewhere else.-Most schools are having there holidays for the two weeks up to Easter, not aorund it, as its so late.

I would in this case tend to go before the cruise re Easter, but there is a small gap.

However, it is often better to go against the flow. My August 2009 trip of Cruise then on the 20th to WDW, really was great, with many rides we went around 2/3 times without getting off!!!

ayumac
02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I just got off 2/14 Magic cruise a couple weeks ago.

We unintentionally did the park before (as you might already know why) and did after as we planned. We really enjoyed the park before. You never know what is going to happen to your family on board. In our case, since water at CC was so cold, my DS got sick and we could not really eonjoy the park 100% after the cruise.

Plus, the same food they serve on board will cost you at the park; from sodas to bad coffee to plain hot dogs and fries to mickey waffles to Mickey bars. Everything seems so expensive after the cruise.

I have a DD5 also and she seemed to be OK either way. She is tiny, but a mighty girl.

LuvDisney09
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we will do the week before. We are surprising our daughter with the cruise for her 5th Birthday and I think it will be great to show up at the ship when she THINKS her vacation is over. I can't wait.

Thanks Again ...

4HOLIDAYS
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I would try and do to WDW first, it's more fast paced and tiring. The cruise is very relaxing afterwards. That said, we are going a 4 nite in May and the BC afterwards because we were booked already there for a week and decided to change to the 4 night cruise. So whichever fits best, due to schedule or prices, it will be enjoyable.

lovepluto14
02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
I would deff go before you go on the cruise. You will probably be relaxed after the cruise and you don't want to ruin it by running around Disney.

DisneyDave2010
02-28-2010, 07:45 PM
We just did 2 days before and 2 days after our first 4 Night Wonder Cruise on 2/14. We stayed two nights at the Beach Club resort before and really enjoyed our time there. The weather was miserable, so we didn't get to enjoy the pools and such, but the resort is wonderful. After the cruise, we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We found that by the time we got to AKL, we were pretty tired. We went MK during the day, hit the afternoon parade, and back to the resort for dinner. If I had it to do over again, I think I might have chosen to not do the parks at all the day after the cruise. Just hang at the hotel and maybe head to Downtown Disney for a bit.

I think this would have made for a better transition coming off the cruise, but the weather was so cold, that we never really got to enjoy the pools and relax on the cruise like I had hoped so I'm still not sure what the right answer is.

We booked another cruise before we left the ship, so hopefully I'll get this all figured out by next year. Look forward to hearing from others...

MinnesotaMouseketeers
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Another vote for WDW before the cruise.

Macavity
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Last cruise we did WDW after. I would never again do this if I can avoid it.

We were so relaxed after the cruise, and then bam - rush/rush/rush crowds/crowds/crowds.

I'd vote for do WDW before the cruise.

lovethedream
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
One other thing concerning before versus after. If your running behind schedule for any reason (flight is delayed, car broke down) (or what happened to us as it rained on us the entire drive over), the hotel will always be there while the ship will not wait. So doing WDW before the cruise is what we do, for this and other reasons.