PDA

View Full Version : Quirky Upgrade at the Port Question...

bzzelady
02-28-2010, 12:20 AM
I have a question that I cannot find an answer to using the search function:

If you have two parties cruising together (2 adults in a cat 7 and 2 adults/1 child in a cat 11) and they want to go together to do a last minute upgrade to a category 2 or 1 at the port, how would this be handled by DCL?
:confused3

kcashner
02-28-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm not totally sure that I understand the question--I think you are asking about upgrading to a cabin that holds 5 people?????

Each cabin functions as a separate reservation. If one cabin chooses to upgrade to a cabin that will hold the entire group, that's fine. However, you can keep or give up the other cabin--your choice. You will get no financial consideration for it from DCL.

For instance, a family of 5 booked 2 cat 12 cabins and were upgraded to 2 cat 9s (pixie dust upgrade). At port, they bought an upgrade to a cat 3. All of them were allowed to get the gold KTTW card and sleep in the concierge level suite. However, they were told that they may as well keep one of the cat 9s as a "luggage room" or place for someone to nap while others were active in the suite because although they could choose to turn it back to DCL, there was no financial benefit to doing so.

bzzelady
02-28-2010, 01:30 AM
That helps a bit. I didn't expect to see any financial consideration from DCL for combining two staterooms into one. I didn't know if the upgrade price would be based on the balcony stateroom or the inside stateroom-any idea?

disney 2010
02-28-2010, 11:59 AM
You will pay less if you request to upgrade the cat 7 stateroom.
I think what kcashner is saying is you can't "blend" the upgrade so you will still pay for the cat 11 and the room is yours to do whatever you want.

bzzelady
02-28-2010, 12:35 PM
That's the answer that I was after...and it was my thought that upgrading the cat 7 room would be the way to go. We don't mind keeping the cat 11 room for luggage, naps, etc. Upgrading the cat 7 versus the cat 11 would save approximately $700-800 based on the upgrade formula previously discussed on the forum.

kcashner
02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes, you will do better to upgrade the nicer cabin (you've already paid more for it). It will be the cheapest to upgrade. Keep the 11 and do what you want with it....use it as a big closet if you wish.

shinez
02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
We had two catagory 4's and wanted to inquire to Cat. 1 at the port, but it was 3000$ more!! That would be combining the costs of the 2 cabins, PLUS 3000$$ - we did not do it! We're crazy, but not that crazy! ;)

Macavity
02-28-2010, 07:56 PM
On my last cruise we had two families traveling in 2 rooms.
One cat 6 had a mom/dad/son
One cat 6 had a mom/daughter/best friend

The cat 6 with the mom/daughter/best friend was a Florida Resident Rate - which was a large discount from the rate most people had paid.

When we got to the port, we were offered a cat 1 The two families decided together to give up our 2 cat 6s, and take the cat 1. We each had to pay $1500.00 more for a total of $3000. This was for a 7 day cruise.

We would do it again if it was ever offered.

TwingleMum
02-28-2010, 08:43 PM
That's the answer that I was after...and it was my thought that upgrading the cat 7 room would be the way to go. We don't mind keeping the cat 11 room for luggage, naps, etc. Upgrading the cat 7 versus the cat 11 would save approximately $700-800 based on the upgrade formula previously discussed on the forum.

what is the upgrade formula??????

Bikeguy
02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a question that I cannot find an answer to using the search function:

If you have two parties cruising together (2 adults in a cat 7 and 2 adults/1 child in a cat 11) and they want to go together to do a last minute upgrade to a category 2 or 1 at the port, how would this be handled by DCL?
:confused3

The other thing I found out last Saturday is the amount you pay to UG is based on what you booked, not where you currently are.

I booked 3 Cat 12s. Was UGed to 3 9s. When I inquired about an UG, I was told about $1400 apiece for a Cat 4 and $2K apiece for a Cat 3. There was a chart that had all the categories and then the UG amount to each higher category.

The amount I was quoted was from 12 to 3 and 4, not 9 to 3 or 4.

If Disney actually wanted me to consider the UG (and more revenue for themselves), they should have started where I currently was, which was 9.

kbmo4444
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
We had two catagory 4's and wanted to inquire to Cat. 1 at the port, but it was 3000$ more!! That would be combining the costs of the 2 cabins, PLUS 3000$$ - we did not do it! We're crazy, but not that crazy! ;)

We were that crazy:laughing:. We did upgrade at port to the Roy Suite!!! (cat 1)2/20/10 7 night sailing. We had 2 category 5's(4 people). You can only upgrade 1 stateroom. It cost us $2800.00 extra. We could have kept the other cat 5 but did not. Cat 5,6,7 all are in the same group and would cost the same to upgrade from at port to cat 1. SO SO SO worth it.The room definately added to making this our best cruise out of 7. I don't know how we could ever go back to a regular stateroom:confused3

kcashner
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
The other thing I found out last Saturday is the amount you pay to UG is based on what you booked, not where you currently are.

I booked 3 Cat 12s. Was UGed to 3 9s. When I inquired about an UG, I was told about $1400 apiece for a Cat 4 and $2K apiece for a Cat 3. There was a chart that had all the categories and then the UG amount to each higher category.

The amount I was quoted was from 12 to 3 and 4, not 9 to 3 or 4.

If Disney actually wanted me to consider the UG (and more revenue for themselves), they should have started where I currently was, which was 9.

In previous years, you paid to upgrade from what you were assigned. Part way thru 2009, it changed so you pay from what you actually booked (in essence, you lose any pixie dust you were given. Right or wrong? Guess they figure that they'll get as much money as they can. If you want it, you'll pay. If not, someone else might.

shinez
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
We were that crazy:laughing:. We did upgrade at port to the Roy Suite!!! (cat 1)2/20/10 7 night sailing. We had 2 category 5's(4 people). You can only upgrade 1 stateroom. It cost us $2800.00 extra. We could have kept the other cat 5 but did not. Cat 5,6,7 all are in the same group and would cost the same to upgrade from at port to cat 1. SO SO SO worth it.The room definately added to making this our best cruise out of 7. I don't know how we could ever go back to a regular stateroom:confused3

Karen!! Thank God you did, so Amelia had a place to stay!!! I loved peaking in and seeing your digs!! If my mom hadn't paid soooooooo much so far, perhaps- naw! Who am I kidding!!! If I could batt my eyelashes and sweettalk my way up there, sure, but forking out more $$, couldn't do it...this time!!

adnil530
03-01-2010, 07:52 PM

What time did you get there to snag that one? We did the same on our cruise in 5/2009 and got the Roy suite, we were 3rd in line. I would pay again and again for the services we received. :)

shinez
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
We were there at 10:20, and we had an email prior to arriving stating we were interested in an upgrade, Karen must have been there at the same time, we passed and she snagged it! We took the 1st shuttle from the Raddison at the Port-