PDA

View Full Version : Mediterranean Magic Family Vacation.....

cruisingwithtwins
02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Has anyone been on the Mediterranean Magic Family Vacation (sorry apparently I can't post links yet....but it's an Adventure by Disney if you go to their website).

This sounds like it was almost tailor made for my girls and me....we love to explore new cultures and this sounds so very cool....we're also really into cooking and making Berber Bread in one country, pizza in another, candy making in a third country....and exploring some wonderful places WITH a guide, lol.

Anyone have a trip report about this....maybe more details than the website....or dare I ask about the cost?

Wow...a cruise, cooking lessons in 3 different countries, exploring castles, countries and cultures.....sheesh, how am I gonna wait 'til 2012??

jel0511
02-28-2010, 08:21 AM
This is a new offering this summer. the pricing is outrageous. I have heard that all of Aug is sold out. Also, just price the DCL cruise you're interested in and then add (gulp) 2400 pp to that price to get the ABD tie in added.

cruisingwithtwins
02-28-2010, 08:28 AM
This is a new offering this summer. the pricing is outrageous. I have heard that all of Aug is sold out. Also, just price the DCL cruise you're interested in and then add (gulp) 2400 pp to that price to get the ABD tie in added.

Holy Moly! Ummm, never mind....for that kind of money we'll just cruise the Med and then instead of flying home spend a week or two touring it ourselves! For that kind of money we could hire one of the Food Network guys to come to our house, lol.

Ok, back to thinking only cruises and our own tour.

abdmom
02-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I went with ABD to China and had a great time. However, on a cruise, your accommodation, food and many many activities are already provided. You also have access to a wide range of shore excursions. If you want a hands on excursion, they're quite easy to find. IMO, to add the $2400 pp on top for the ABD experience just isn't worth it unless you are a single person or maybe a couple.

I'm going on the 11 night May Med cruise. With 2 private shore excursions and our excursions of choice booked through Disney, our excursion total for 4 people will be about $2500, compared to $9100 for the ABD.

For $9100, we could take a different ABD - almost.

DisneyCruiser83
02-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Included in that 2400 are tips for all positions and porters (about $140 minimum), dinner at Palo and a private wine tasting ($30 minimum), all excursion prices (go ahead and price tours comparable to these on your own; a tour I wanted to to in Barcelona was $300USD per person! And that was without tip, something also included in the $2400. ABD is a more high end touring company, and you get what you pay for. Also included are two private gatherings, things generally only arranged for concierge guests (those paying concierge prices), a private history lesson about the ship and your ports, also a drawing lesson and demonstration from a Disney artist (I think lunch with an Imagineer at DHS was $60 per person. Most of all, you have two dedicated tour guides there to help you through the ports and work through any issues or questions you may have. There are also little touches and surprises that make your trip magical. Of course, this tour is not fir everyone, but when you break it down, $2400 is not as much as it seems.

rav4lcrv
02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
We signed up for the August 28th cruise (our 3rd Disney cruise) and decided if we could not get the ABD add on we would not go, we thought with the language differance and the amount of information that guides can provide , it was a feeling of security to let someone handle the details. Not afraid to travel on our own (3 weeks in the UK back packing) just a more relaxing trip to let Mickey handle all the details

sayhello
02-28-2010, 03:23 PM
I have also signed up for the ABD/DCL add-on (the Mediterranean Magic Family Vacation) for the same 11-night Med cruise as abdmom. I agree with DisneyCruiser83 and rav4lcrv, this vacation can definitely be worth it, depending on the type of vacation you're looking for. For singles, it's an ideal vacation, with the security and camaraderie that comes with group tours such as ABD does. Having the 2 ABD Guides, who coordinate everything, and handle all the details, it really gives me a peace of mind in a foreign country that I find will give me a more relaxing vacation. I've traveled by myself, also, but find there are times I really prefer to let others worry about the details and provide the expertise for a trip. If you break down all the costs, it really isn't that bad, if that's the type of trip you want to take. It certainly isn't for everybody; but it can be a fabulous way to travel.

Sayhello