PDA

View Full Version : 2/13 Magic -So Annoyed At Disney !

jdybnsn
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Just returned home after the 2/13 cruise on the Magic and not at all happy with Disney over our compensation or our treatment at the time !
It was certainly no 'party' or picnic, as I have previously seen it described on here before.... and now looks like their so called 'compensation' is not what it appeared to be at first either !!

First, we arrived at the port on the day to find no ship - they knew the ship failed to make it home (it takes 12 hours back from CC and the ship was still there when we arrived) so why no phonecall or email, to prevent this needless journey ?

Little, to no, informaton when we got there - we were railroaded into following their plans for the day, in order to keep informed with what was going on - thus we were denied any chance to make our own arrangements for where to stay, and to eat, and therefore the ability to claim off our own insurance.

We were told to leave our luggage & board their bus to go to Epcot - this was not possible for us; too much hand luggage and too heavy ...plus alcohol in it as this is how it must be carried on board. Alcohol is not allowed in the parks. We had to keep our hire car and I have since heard they are refusing to meet claims for this.

Arrived at Epcot 12.30pm - 90 mins wait to get ticket to enter park to just to get further information - no alternative.
$60 gift card given to us for food for 4 of us - barely bought us burger/chips & soda (we should at that time been eating from a top quality buffet with free issue soda on the ship).
Queued 30 mins to get burgers - park is packed as Presidents weekend.
Park tickets no good - 120 mins wait times for practically everything !
Had to wait till 3pm for special pavillion to open......joined another 90 minute queue just to be told where to stay for the night ! I heard people say there was a party going on in the pavillion - never heard about it...I would not have called it a party - most people there were utterly miserable as you can well imagine ? They were showing 3 (old) Disney kids' films, balloon model making and some characters came out.... there were free issue drinks but they hadn't told us that until we'd already bought ours at lunch) ...not what I'd call a party !

Allocated the distinctly average Rosen hotel on I Drive - waited another 30 mins to check in as they were awaiting final instruction from Disney . Paid for parking & internet myself which apparently Disney are not refunding people.

Allocated $80 for 4 of us for dinner...have they seen the prices in the Rosen dining room ??? ..this did not even buy us our meal in their cafeteria, when we should have been sitting down to 4 couses of 5* dining on the ship !!
No further instruction received from Disney, though I believe others in the hotel received letters/instructions regarding the next day...very poor communications again.

Breakfast the next day the Rosen staff were blank as to what was happening ...had to ring Disney to be told we'd have to wait for a buffet at 9am ..it was 7.30am and my kids were hungry ! Eventually, Disney reluctantly agreed we could go to the Rosen's breakfast area & eat, and charge them.

Left the Rosen and returned to the Budget rental at Port Canaveral - chaos ! No information coming frm Disney other than they were not allowing Magic passengers to arrive at either terminal !
Another 90 min wait until a fellow Disboarder heard from another Disboader, that they were letting people check in at the Magic, and we were left to persuade Budget to take us there.

Now I hear the 20% refund they said they were offering us is only 13% in real terms over total the cost of the cruise. :mad:..
They gave us a less than impressive $25 OBC each
They are not apparently refunding people's hire car, gas, tolls, or any other incidental costs.

I know that it was not DCL's fault that The Magic got stuck, but I paid for a seven night cruise and ended up with a six day one plus a whole 24 hours of waiting in queues, needlessly driving around stress and not getting information in a timely manner and am out of pocket on many of my expenses !!
Basically it stinks - they may have scraped up just enough to call it a refund on part of the missing cruise, but I don't feel they have been generous in the least, nor made any compensation for the complete run around and endless queuing we got the day before !!

Andrew DEREK UK
02-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Difficult one, your long planed trip and cruise badly affected by this incident.

You put the efforts they tried to make into 'context' and another viewpoint.

I am very sorry you have this bad experience.

The variables of kids, food, cruise luggage, car hire, are understood.

Its difficult to *judge* this as only the people who were booked on that cruise where there to experience it, but I can fully understand your frustration. As a lay person DCL, looked like they tried to do a lot, in a short time, but as you say they had warning, as it takes a time to get back up from CC.

Being a holiday time in USA, and half term in the UK, didnt help.

IrishKevin
02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I too was on this cruise and thought Disney did a fantastic job considering the situation. For anybody to move that many displaced people plus find them lodging in that short of a time is a miracle! No other cruise line could have pulled that off!!! We had a great time and made the best of the situation. What I did find most disappointing was having to listen to other passengers whine about how long the lines were or how they were owed a free cruise! Some people seriously need to get over themselves!!!

Andrew DEREK UK
02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I too was on this cruise and thought Disney did a fantastic job considering the situation. For anybody to move that many displaced people plus find them lodging in that short of a time is a miracle! No other cruise line could have pulled that off!!! We had a great time and made the best of the situation. What I did find most disappointing was having to listen to other passengers whine about how long the lines were or how they were owed a free cruise! Some people seriously need to get over themselves!!!

Well, I am sorry but must respectfully disagree in part. I have had PM correspondence with the OP, it was their vacation and personally I think she painted a picture of the impact on them, it is not a whine in any way, but their personal experience.

I posted before in my balanced response that DCL did do a lot, it seemed hard work in a short time, but they did have about 12 hours notice as it takes the ship from 5pm to 5am to get back to PC, YES overnight, and people do not work that.

Everyone is entitled to their view, she put it in context to us, how it affected her family, they didn't plan to go to Epcot, queue for tickets and rides have Park food, DCL offered that, which in the circumstance as you say was actually good of them to organise it quickly, but in the end it had an impact on them.

I actually disagree that no other cruise line could have pulled it off, I have been on one, and they did a good job, Disney owns four theme parks and two water parks and a number of resorts in Orlando, they have more mussel than anyone else, if anyone could do it, they should be able to.

The important thing on this is TRIP INSURANCE, a number of people here have said they have skipped it on 5/6 cruises and encouraged others to save money, this shows don't skip it, buy it with good cover, from whoever you feel is good, but do buy it.

Lastly it appears they knew about the storm at CC, but decided to go in front (forward) that day, and not to leave early. Since then posters have said re Grand Cayman they have changed policies, that would imply they were not 100% perfect on this case.

TChrist05
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
As an avid DCL cruiser who has done 22 cruises to date I am always sympatheric to anyone who has had their cruise interupted or things not go well...my DW and I were booked on the cruise many years ago that they cancelled to clean the ship during the outbreak of the Norwalk virus....we found out the day before Thanksgiving that the cruise was cancelled....and it was set to sail on Saturday.....Disney did everything they could to make it right but no matter what everything seemed to go wrong. We spent time in the World and then they put us on the 4 day Wonder.....the ship was so full it was almost laughable....the only good thing was we were offered a 50% cruise. It was not really 50%, but we did book another and things worked out well....but the vacation was frustrating so I can truly understand everyones unhappiness.....I would write a letter stating your feelings and request the additional expenses you had to shell out....but I would not try demanding anything.....Disney does not seem to respond to those requests.
Tom

jdybnsn
02-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Well I was sick of reading what a fantastic job Disney were doing... when really it was hell on earth for most of us !

Glad you had a great time - perhaps you were one of the lucky ones that were told to stay put in your Disney resort right at the beginning, and were able to make the best of it ? Lucky you.

If DCL had simply told us to turn up again the next day in our case, we would have been alot better off - we would have made our own arrangements and claimed off our own insurance.... instead of being herded around like sheep and forced to stand in endless queues for the entire day simply in pursuit of more information.

Their compensation is a joke but OK some people might be happy if they only got 13% of their costs back when they were told it would be 20% ?

Sorry about the whining......I will try to get over myself despite my aversion to queuing and losing money LOL !

Andrew DEREK UK
02-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I was sick of reading what a fantastic job Disney were doing... when really it was hell on earth for most of us !

Glad you had a great time - perhaps you were one of the lucky ones that were told to stay put in your Disney resort right at the beginning, and were able to make the best of it ? Lucky you.

If DCL had simply told us to turn up again the next day in our case, we would have been alot better off - we would have made our own arrangements and claimed off our own insurance.... instead of being herded around like sheep and forced to stand in endless queues for the entire day simply in pursuit of more information.

Their compensation is a joke but OK some people might be happy if they only got 13% of their costs back when they were told it would be 20% ?

Sorry about the whining......I will try to get over myself despite my aversion to queuing and losing money LOL !

As mentioned before but will repeat, I do not think your OP, was any whine, you painted a picture how it affected you personally, the weather etc is beyond anyone's control, I was disappointed my Eastern was swapped to a Western in 2009, I have done that three times, but my and everyone's safety was important and I knew why they did it.

You posted an open and honest description of what occurred, to you, and the impact.

You are entitled to do that without a 'label' being given.

jdybnsn
02-27-2010, 04:50 PM
As an avid DCL cruiser who has done 22 cruises to date I am always sympatheric to anyone who has had their cruise interupted or things not go well...my DW and I were booked on the cruise many years ago that they cancelled to clean the ship during the outbreak of the Norwalk virus....we found out the day before Thanksgiving that the cruise was cancelled....and it was set to sail on Saturday.....Disney did everything they could to make it right but no matter what everything seemed to go wrong. We spent time in the World and then they put us on the 4 day Wonder.....the ship was so full it was almost laughable....the only good thing was we were offered a 50% cruise. It was not really 50%, but we did book another and things worked out well....but the vacation was frustrating so I can truly understand everyones unhappiness.....I would write a letter stating your feelings and request the additional expenses you had to shell out....but I would not try demanding anything.....Disney does not seem to respond to those requests.
Tom

Thank you for sharing your story, and your advice is appreciated.:flower3:

kcashner
02-27-2010, 04:54 PM
So your private insurance won't pay because DCL threw you a bone? Not even your incidentals for the day?

jdybnsn
02-27-2010, 04:56 PM
As mentioned before but will repeat, I do not think your OP, was any whine, you painted a picture how it affected you personally, the weather etc is beyond anyone's control, I was disappointed my Eastern was swapped to a Western in 2009, I have done that three times, but my and everyone's safety was important and I knew why they did it.

You posted an open and honest description of what occurred, to you, and the impact.

Thank you Derek.......
You are right the weather wasn't their fault....I just hope they are better organised if this happens again, and that people are given more options (ie assistance if its needed... but also freedom to make their own plans if not).

Also, they should avoid misleading statements about their compensation offers - this would avoid people's annoyance when their expectations are not met.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Thank you Derek.......
You are right the weather wasn't their fault....I just hope they are better organised if this happens again, and that people are given more options (ie assistance if its needed... but also freedom to make their own plans if not).

Also, they should avoid misleading statements about their compensation offers - this would avoid people's annoyance when their expectations are not met.:thumbsup2

As others have posted a good positve suggestion is to write a nice letter to DCL, dont demand as said, and see the response, bet many others have.....

jdybnsn
02-27-2010, 05:09 PM
So your private insurance won't pay because DCL threw you a bone? Not even your incidentals for the day?

The difficulty is that because DCL have paid for some things and not for others, or worse have part paid for some stuff (ie meals), but not fully paid..... an insurance claim is going to be something of a nightmare - though I intend to try !

...it would have been far better to have gone & organised our own hotel & meals from the begining, and not spent the day in queues in Epcot.

Please, I am not trying to knock Disney for making some of the efforts that it did, especially if some people didn't have any trip insurance (I'm sure they were most grateful !),

....but it did expose them to the fact that they were totally ill-prepared for this eventuality.... did appear to lack a real understanding of people's true costs, needs or feelings on the day ....and worse, appear to be less than sympathetic to these today.

I don't know why they would promise a 20% refund...and then only deliver 13%? People are bound to be angry about that.
They were obviously working from a base figure different than most people's total cruise costs...this should have been stated from the start.

shmoogrrrl
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't understand. Disney didn't have you prisoner. Why couldn't you have just left with your car and make your own arrangements so that your insurance would cover it, if that is what you wanted to do?

jdybnsn
02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't understand. Disney didn't have you prisoner. Why couldn't you have just left with your car and make your own arrangements so that your insurance would cover it, if that is what you wanted to do?

.....if only LOL
.......because we were told we had to go to Epcot to be given more information/instructions.

..at first they wouldn't say if we were cruising later that day .....or the next day.....we were told we had to go to Epcot ( no indication of why - even the DCL personnel at the port didn't know - they were just told to give us these instructions)...and secondly you would hope under the circumstances, that Disney would take very good care of you...sadly this did not prove to be the dream senario that everyone hoped !

MACfamily4
02-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. It is noteworthy that you only speak of the one wretched day and fail to mention the other six days, which might have been quite glorious. I hope they were and that when you remember this vacation with your family, you will recall something good.

All the best. :)

Olga
02-27-2010, 05:59 PM

I also don't understand :confused3, With trip insurance I'll eat and sleep where I please and stay in touch with DCL by phone and internet. If the trip insurance has not refused a claim then it's unclear what OP wants.

ACDSNY
02-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't know why they would promise a 20% refund...and then only deliver 13%? People are bound to be angry about that.
They were obviously working from a base figure different than most people's total cruise costs...this should have been stated from the start.

I'm guessing DCL was taking 20% off the base fare before port charges and taxes, is that correct? Kind of like they do when you rebook on board and get a 10% discount.

Sorry your first few days of your cruise were so disappointing.

b00kw0rm429
02-27-2010, 06:05 PM
It's unfortunate that it happened at all. With that many people affected, it would surely be hard to make the situation pleasant for all involved. Even in just a dining room full of people having dinner (not a cruise ship with thousands...) things go wrong and people leave unhappy. Hopefully, they learned something and it will go smoother if it happens again. Hopefully trip insurance will come through. It would be hard to see the "happy" side of others if my trip were completely spoiled by unexpected events. I may never get on another disney cruise so to have my one and only affected like this, would make me pretty miserable, too.

mmouse37
02-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Nobody labeled the OP....IrishKevin said he heard other passengers that day whining....he never mentioned the OP. Both sides are entitled to their opinions on how they viewed that day and their experiences.

We don't want this thread turning into a he said/she said.

MJ

ferastu
02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I was on this cruise as well. The other six days were great.

Judy's (and my) problem is that Disney is famed for its above and beyond customer service. We were all told multiple times that we would be refunded 20% of our cruise price. Not 20% of some phantom subtotal that we had never seen before.

Also the lack of notification is a very sore point. In my case I wouldn't have received any notification because I don't check email on vacation and DCL only had my home phone# not my cell.

But by the time I was listening to the recorded message they should have been able to tell me, 'The Magic is still at Castaway Cay, there will be no boarding today. The earliest boarding will take place is 11am Sunday morning'. Instead of a 'go to Epcot, we'll get you some type of hotel room'.

Since I was already in Cape Canaveral we elected to not travel to Epcot and we got our own room for the night.

We didn't have any travel insurance and I know Disney doesn't have to give us any more than they already have. I'll write them a letter being as courteous as possible.

5lilfish
02-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Just returned home after the 2/13 cruise on the Magic and not at all happy with Disney over our compensation or our treatment at the time !
It was certainly no 'party' or picnic, as I have previously seen it described on here before.... and now looks like their so called 'compensation' is not what it appeared to be at first either !!

First, we arrived at the port on the day to find no ship - they knew the ship failed to make it home (it takes 12 hours back from CC and the ship was still there when we arrived) so why no phonecall or email, to prevent this needless journey ?

Little, to no, informaton when we got there - we were railroaded into following their plans for the day, in order to keep informed with what was going on - thus we were denied any chance to make our own arrangements for where to stay, and to eat, and therefore the ability to claim off our own insurance.

We were told to leave our luggage & board their bus to go to Epcot - this was not possible for us; too much hand luggage and too heavy ...plus alcohol in it as this is how it must be carried on board. Alcohol is not allowed in the parks. We had to keep our hire car and I have since heard they are refusing to meet claims for this.

Arrived at Epcot 12.30pm - 90 mins wait to get ticket to enter park to just to get further information - no alternative.
$60 gift card given to us for food for 4 of us - barely bought us burger/chips & soda (we should at that time been eating from a top quality buffet with free issue soda on the ship).
Queued 30 mins to get burgers - park is packed as Presidents weekend.
Park tickets no good - 120 mins wait times for practically everything !
Had to wait till 3pm for special pavillion to open......joined another 90 minute queue just to be told where to stay for the night ! I heard people say there was a party going on in the pavillion - never heard about it...I would not have called it a party - most people there were utterly miserable as you can well imagine ? They were showing 3 (old) Disney kids' films, balloon model making and some characters came out.... there were free issue drinks but they hadn't told us that until we'd already bought ours at lunch) ...not what I'd call a party !

Allocated the distinctly average Rosen hotel on I Drive - waited another 30 mins to check in as they were awaiting final instruction from Disney . Paid for parking & internet myself which apparently Disney are not refunding people.

Allocated $80 for 4 of us for dinner...have they seen the prices in the Rosen dining room ??? ..this did not even buy us our meal in their cafeteria, when we should have been sitting down to 4 couses of 5* dining on the ship !!
No further instruction received from Disney, though I believe others in the hotel received letters/instructions regarding the next day...very poor communications again.

Breakfast the next day the Rosen staff were blank as to what was happening ...had to ring Disney to be told we'd have to wait for a buffet at 9am ..it was 7.30am and my kids were hungry ! Eventually, Disney reluctantly agreed we could go to the Rosen's breakfast area & eat, and charge them.

Left the Rosen and returned to the Budget rental at Port Canaveral - chaos ! No information coming frm Disney other than they were not allowing Magic passengers to arrive at either terminal !
Another 90 min wait until a fellow Disboarder heard from another Disboader, that they were letting people check in at the Magic, and we were left to persuade Budget to take us there.

Now I hear the 20% refund they said they were offering us is only 13% in real terms over total the cost of the cruise. :mad:..
They gave us a less than impressive $25 OBC each
They are not apparently refunding people's hire car, gas, tolls, or any other incidental costs.

I know that it was not DCL's fault that The Magic got stuck, but I paid for a seven night cruise and ended up with a six day one plus a whole 24 hours of waiting in queues, needlessly driving around stress and not getting information in a timely manner and am out of pocket on many of my expenses !!
Basically it stinks - they may have scraped up just enough to call it a refund on part of the missing cruise, but I don't feel they have been generous in the least, nor made any compensation for the complete run around and endless queuing we got the day before !!

I'm sorry you had such a rough experience. I hope you had a great trip once you were onboard. Unfortunately, there is no way that any company could make every passenger satisfied/happy. We were on this cruise too. I think Disney did the best they could. Since, technically, they are not obligated to do anything, we were very satified and impressed with what they did for us. When we first found out about the delay, we honestly did not think DCl was going to do anything. We figured we'd work it out with our insurance later. With a bit of luck, we decided, on our own, to go to Epcot. We bought our tickets before they announced they were giving us tickets (they refunded our ticket costs later that day). We also hurried up and made lunch arrangements for the buffet in 'Germany.' Again, we did not expect DCL to give us any money so it was nice to get the $15 per person back. My husband and my 12 yr old son went over to the pavilion before me and our 4 girls. When I got there, my son found me and said (wit a huge smile on his face and holding a heaping bowl of gummy worms), "Everything here is FREE!" LOL. My kids were in heaven. They loved the characters, food, movies, charactatures, etc. We were lucky enough to have our own van so that helped us avoid a lot of hassle. Turthfully, we had a great day! My only minor complaint would be that the breakfast buffet was a bit of a joke...but we made up for it once we got onboard. The extra onboard credit ($100 per room and $20 per person extra...amounted to $340 for us) was great! The partial refund was great (20% off the base price before taxes/fees) and we took Full advantage of the rebooking bonus (20% and $200 onboard credit per cabin).

Again, I am very sorry you had a bad experience. I am not taking away from it at all....I believe it was what you say it was. We just felt that Disney did the best they could and that they did MUCH more than we expected.

I do hope your overall vacation was great!

Jess

Pluto,
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
why was epcot the only place disney gave tickets to? on the 6 night cruise did you get to all your ports?

TChrist05
02-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Very well said Jess.....and I think the OP knows that it is difficult to please and inform so many people. When we had our cruise cancelled, they really did what they could for us and we got to them for information before they could get to us via telephone. Did we have extra expenses...yes...just changing our airline reservations was expensive....and I never even thought of asking Disney to compensate us for it.....
Great that once you guys got on the ship and really got to start your vacation things went well. Hopefully eventually all will be happy with how things worked out and you booked another DCL vacation.....
Tom

MissMet
02-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I am so very sorry this was the way you had to start your cruise. From reading your day's events, I would have been saddened, but I would have been jumping up in down in comparison to what my parents had experienced on a Princess cruise 5 years ago. :scared1:

They arrive to port finding out that their ship had "crashed" into the dock the night prior to their arrival & that embarkation would be delayed, due to divers trying to fix the broken ship. All the ships passengers were brought to a warehouse of sorts & sat on folding chairs for over 5 hours. Then they offered to bus them to a local mall on school buses with all of their carry-ons. Then upon arrival at the mall they were told they needed to head back to the warehouse, because they would be boarding the ship soon. They turned around and went back to the warehouse, were given pre-made sandwiches for dinner. Then they were bused in school buses to the port where they hit traffic & sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic for over an hour, in school buses, due to a Mariners game ending. After an almost 8 hour day on folding chairs & school bus benches, they were told that the ship would not be fixable & that they were given the choice to not board the ship. The cruise staff did not explain to them anything at all & all they were told was that the ship wouldn't be able to get up to full speed. This was my parents first cruise & didn't understand what they would face. Ended up the ship was damaged to the point that they couldn't go full speed, therefore the ship's stabilizers could not be used & due to the accident they never got to even see the glaciers on their 7 day alaskan cruise, which is the whole point of an Alaskan cruise! :sad2: They missed a bunch of ports & everyone was terribly seasick. At the first stop they made, a quarter of the passengers got off the ship at their own expense & flew home.

In the end princess gave each cabin, regardless of what category you were in (i.e. what you spent) a $200 obc to be used on that cruise only. :mad:

These are the risks you take with cruising. I would say though compared to my parent's experience 5 years ago with princess, Disney did a fantastic job!

I am sorry you had a terrible experience. Hopefully this hasn't put a bad taste in your mouth for cruising. It did for my parents, but I convinced them to give cruising one more chance & took them on a Disney cruise- they've been hooked ever since.

Morty Fieldmouse
02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
...We were all told multiple times that we would be refunded 20% of our cruise price. Not 20% of some phantom subtotal that we had never seen before...

I believe in INDUSTRY terms cruise price is the base price before taxes, port fees, etc. As customers, we usually think of price as being what we pay. When two people use different definitions for the same terms, this can lead to confusion.

This reminds me of the near falling out between Disney and Pixar. They had a contract to produce a set number of "original feature films." Pixar thought the contract was fulfilled and wanted to make a new contract for additional movies and Disney told them they had to make one more movie to fulfill the contract. Toy Story 2, in INDUSTRY TERMS, did not count towards the contract as it was a sequel and not "original." Things eventually worked out and Pixar is now a Disney company.

To the OP: As the family member dealing with the "business" of your vacation, I recommend you do what you have to to contact DCL and/or insurance to get what you feel is fair, but between emails and phone calls try to focus on the positive experiences and help the rest of your family remember the good times too. Hopefully things will work out for you and your next Disney vacation will be true Disney Magic.

Tea
02-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Opps

mmouse37
02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
They arrive to port finding out that their ship had "crashed" into the dock the night prior to their arrival & that embarkation would be delayed, due to divers trying to fix the broken ship.

Hi
This is the first Im hearing that it crashed. I too was on this ship leaving on the 13th. I was told they could not depart due to winds.
I would greatly appreciate if some one could clarify this with me.
Thanks
Tea

Sorry, you misunderstood. That poster was referring to a cruise on Princess cruise line that their parents took 5 years ago that crashed into the dock....they were not talking about the Disney Magic.

MJ

sayhello
They arrive to port finding out that their ship had "crashed" into the dock the night prior to their arrival & that embarkation would be delayed, due to divers trying to fix the broken ship.

Hi
This is the first Im hearing that it crashed. I too was on this ship leaving on the 13th. I was told they could not depart due to winds.
I would greatly appreciate if some one could clarify this with me.
Thanks
TeaThe poster you quoted (MissMet) was referring to her parents' Princess cruise 5 years ago, not the issue with the Magic from Feb 13th.

The Magic was, indeed, delayed at Castaway Cay due to high winds and rough seas.

Sayhello

MagicMe
Opps

The OP was referring to a cruise his parents took on Princess not the Magic.

Sorry - you changed your message before I could finish mine!

justmestace
02-27-2010, 07:22 PM

I for one am very GLAD you posted this. First off, it's pretty courageous, since people here will defend Disney to the death....and it's true. Everyone is entitled to recall things the way they see them and the way it effects them and their family.

Besides....I was beginning to wonder if there weren't at least a few people out there who were terribly disappointed in the way things went. I wouldn't have been happy either....it sounds like you were herded around like cattle.

And before anyone goes tossing flames at ME....I know Disney did what they could, and that the weather wasn't their fault....I understand that....but it still doesn't mean that everyone HAS to be happy about it.

kcashner
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Forgive me, but when I read about how this was being handled, I thought that DCL had gotten it right this time. They put you up, fed you, and entertained you. It sounds like the biggest issue was lack of communication--AGAIN.

I was on the hurricane Jeanne cruise. Our cruise actually departed on Tuesday instead of Saturday although we boarded the ship about 8:30 pm on Monday. We got a 40% refund and $100 OBC, No hotel, no food. And we got no special deals for the hotel rooms we booked for ourselves. The additional 2 nights at WDW cost me almost as much as the previous week since I'd been able to take advantage of a "special" for the week and had to pay full rack rate for the additional 2 nights. When our bus to the port did not depart at 9 am as we'd been told....and didn't depart at noon....we were given coupons for a quick serve lunch. Oh yeah, the bus left about 4.

Like your situation, our biggest issue was lack of communication....or as I really felt, DCL lying to us. At the same time they KNEW the ship had been taken out to sea to ride out the storm and passengers had already been let off at PC, they told us that the ship would sail on schedule on Saturday. This level of mis-information continued thru Monday.

I'm really sorry for the loss of a day of your cruise. However, it really sounds like Disney did everything reasonable given the circumstances. You lost 1/7 of your cruise which is roughly 14%, and by the worst of calculations are getting a 13% refund. In addition, you got food and lodging for that day as well as entertainment. No, it wasn't the same as you'd planned, but it wasn't nothing either.

WDWKevin
02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Dear OP:

This whole thing is sad. At the end of the day, DCL is under no obligation to do ANYTHING other than say 'see ya tomorrow!' The fact that they adapted to a situation that they had never faced before and that had developed overnight when ALL shoreside cast members are off is amazing. No, it wasn't perfect. But have some compassion for the cast members and crew members that bent over backwards to try and make it the best they could.

At the end of the day, the problems you encountered due to a delayed cruise ship pale in comparison of the people dealing with devastation in Haiti, Chile, and other parts of the world. I bet they would love to be in your shoes dealing with the 'hassle' of a delayed cruise ship and long lines at Epcot.

mmouse37
02-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Again, OP and everyone else is entitled to their feelings/opinions and let's not turn this into a debate about world disasters and how a delayed DCL cruise compares. We all know it doesn't compare so let's not go there.

MJ

ychcjbn1
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
It's a shame that your cruise didn't start out as planned. I would have been a little bummed out too.

I'm sure the lack of communication from Disney was your reason for posting this thread and it sounds like they could have done a better job with that. It also sounds like Disney tried to make it right and I was really suprised to hear all that was provided by Disney for a one day delay.

On our first cruise (with RCI), we didn't get to go to the bahamas as planned due to a hurricane. While in route, the captain had to change to a different port. (We spent a day in Key West instead.) It turned out to be a great day and I was so happy to visit Key West. We did have to cancel our shore excursions for Nassau but we got to do some cool things at Key West instead.

Sometimes you gotta roll with the punches and try to look at the positive. I hope the remainder of your cruise was nice.

insureman
02-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Hell on earth? That would be what our military (Brits included) have to endure in Afghanistan and Iraq everyday and also what the poor people in Haiti are enduring along with relief workers trying to help. Hopefully it was your emotions that got the best of you because of a day of inconvenience. Let the flaming commence.

shmoogrrrl
02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
On our first cruise (with RCI), we didn't get to go to the bahamas as planned due to a hurricane. While in route, the captain had to change to a different port. (We spent a day in Key West instead.) It turned out to be a great day and I was so happy to visit Key West. We did have to cancel our shore excursions for Nassau but we got to do some cool things at Key West instead.

We had something like that happen on one of our Disney Cruises. It was like the Magical Mystery Cruise. We never knew where we were going to be the next day. We made it to Key West, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay (although in a totally different order. We missed Grand Cayman, but we got to be on the first DCL cruise to visit Costa Maya! We even got to see a Great White Shark lurking in the water there as we left! Totally not what we signed up for, but we still had a blast. :)

quentina
02-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Although it is sad and I understand your disappointment....I hope...you can look back on the good memories that you and your family made that week!

We just never know what is going to happen day to day.....

cmash95
02-27-2010, 09:21 PM
actually since the cruise lost only one day, DCL was more than generous in giving back 20 %. and if you still went to the ports of call on the itinerary, DCL had to pay the port charges and local taxes so those couldn't be refunded. Also I recall the OP stating that they used other transportation to get to epcot and not the busses provided. Is it possible that info was taken (ie email and phone numbers)? I don't know I was just asking. I feel bad for everyone that had their cruises cut short, but frankly think of how much worse it could have been if the magic tried to sail back to canaveral and it got caught in the storm in the middle of nowhere.

scootch
02-27-2010, 09:27 PM
We went on a 3 night cruise in November and there were a ton of people on there that were given a $99 bounceback offer from a previous 4 day Feb cruise(that was just fine, no problems) just an incentive to fill the November ship. Shame they didnt' offer you something like that. I am so glad that we were not on your cruise, I take my kids alone to disney and cruising and cannot imagine all you went thru, I would have been thoroughly exhausted before ever boarding. Hugs to you.... and I hope you found some time to make some memories.

Sleepyluke
02-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I am sorry that this happened and it seems that the communication is the biggest issue, but for anyone out there, how do you propose that DCL communicate with everyone. I am not being sarcastic, either. Unless you have everyone in a common area, like the pavillion, I am not sure there is a way to get everyone on the same page. Granted it is not what you wnated, and when you plan for several years for each cruise, I would defivitely be upset too, but not real sure what else could be done, sure things could have been different, but would they have necessarily been better. Does DCL have a way to communicate to everyone? I would think you can get the DCL transportation and resort people, but what about those driving in or living in the area? Short of making 2,500 phone calls to a number that may be ringing at the house. Anybody know?

kcashner
02-27-2010, 09:46 PM
We went on a 3 night cruise in November and there were a ton of people on there that were given a $99 bounceback offer from a previous 4 day Feb cruise(that was just fine, no problems) just an incentive to fill the November ship. Shame they didnt' offer you something like that. I am so glad that we were not on your cruise, I take my kids alone to disney and cruising and cannot imagine all you went thru, I would have been thoroughly exhausted before ever boarding. Hugs to you.... and I hope you found some time to make some memories.

They were offered 20% off on a future cruise as well as a 20% refund on that cruise, onboard credit, etc.

Morty Fieldmouse
02-27-2010, 10:11 PM
They were offered 20% off on a future cruise as well as a 20% refund on that cruise, onboard credit, etc.

For ME this would be an awesome compensation for a loss of one day at sea. I'd look at it as 30% off this cruise + the standard 10% off the next one that I was going to book anyway.

I suspect the OP didn't take advantage of the rebooking discount, since they were already upset about their current situation. Everyone who took advantage of the rebooking discount is probably very happy; everyone who passed on the offer probably doesn't even think of it as an extra compensation.

TisBit
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
It sounds more that the OP would be upset about anything and nothing Disney would do would have made it right. As for the rental car, did they ask the Disney cast members about options for the luggage, I doubt everyone from the cruise were wandering around Epcot with their luggage. Seems that the food compensation was more that they didn't get what they wanted or a blank check for food. They appeared to be put in a decent hotel as well.

As for being forced to Epcot, they have a customer service number I would just bug them on and do my own thing, if that is what I wanted. I also find it interesting that they were upset they got to go to Epcot for free, regardless of the crowds.

I am sure if the OP must have never been bumped from a flight and dealt with airline compensations :laughing: . While I understand the frustration with some of the advance communications, etc....I can also see that the OP probably would have been irritated regardless of the situation. Seems that Disney tried to help in a bad situation.....

tvguy
02-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Keep us posted on how your Travel Insurance company handles your claim.

The vast majority of folks who have travel insurance and had to file a claim seem happy with the outcome.
But boy, there are some folks who have really horrible experiences with the insurance companies, so much so, my Travel Agent doesn't even sell travel insurance anymore, her Agency just gives you a list of websites for travel insurance companies with a disclaiming that they do not endorse any of these companies.
I guess she had a client buy travel insurance. The guy's boss canceled his vacation 2 weeks before the cruise. Guy files claim, which is promptly paid. And the insurance company promptly sued the guys's company for creating a situation that required them to have pay a claim. It went to court, and the company had to reimburse the insurance company for the claim, plus the cost of their lawyers, court costs and of course their own legal fees. Wow, that would have to be an awkward working situation afterwards!!!

SkyKnight
02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
I was on that cruise and I apreciate the OP expressing his/her opinions. I'm not going to throw stones as many here have done. I was fortunate in that I was already staying at the Grand Floridian and ended up just getting another night

when Disney does there after action report on how this was all handled they need to primarily fix the lack of communication. A company like Disney can take all of the passengers phone numbers and call them with a recorded message. They could also email everyone or text the cell numbers They didn't reach out to anyone. The very nice but uninformed DCL rep at the desk at the Grand Floridian just knew that there was a delay the concierge googles it and told me what was happening

The DCL staff helping the passengers didn't have the info as well as the passengers

other than the lacking proactive communication they could have worked to cut the line waiting down. As I said we were lucky having already been staying on property. The Grand Floridian manager gave us compted park tickets and we were told to go to epcot. We got off the monorail to see hundreds of cruise passengers in line. They could have added a staff or two to ease the line but they didn't.

At the pavilian the line barely moved but this line had just about all the people from the ship. The line was for hotel assignments. Thank god I asked because some people waited 3 hours in line. Once i learned what it was for we took off to the parks.

From my lucky'er than most stand point I would say that the lack if communication was the biggest disaster. They could have definately improved that. Second they could and should have worked to relieve the waiting times in line. Lots of management in huddles chatting away at the pavilion at epcot. Had they been working the waiting line who knows how much faster itcoukd have moved.

Thanks OP for sharing your feelings on the mess You are entitled!!!

jessica52877
02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
I am sorry that this happened and it seems that the communication is the biggest issue, but for anyone out there, how do you propose that DCL communicate with everyone. I am not being sarcastic, either. Unless you have everyone in a common area, like the pavillion, I am not sure there is a way to get everyone on the same page. Granted it is not what you wnated, and when you plan for several years for each cruise, I would defivitely be upset too, but not real sure what else could be done, sure things could have been different, but would they have necessarily been better. Does DCL have a way to communicate to everyone? I would think you can get the DCL transportation and resort people, but what about those driving in or living in the area? Short of making 2,500 phone calls to a number that may be ringing at the house. Anybody know?

I wanted to comment on the communication. I was ON the ship stuck at Castaway Cay and the lack of communication was unreal! We were all on the ship and easily enough could have made an announcement about several different things but we were left to fend for ourselves.

I think Disney handled it as best they could besides the communication until the morning. That was just total chaos and unsafe.

OP, hope your cruise went better once onboard. It was frustrating to have no communication so I can only imagine how you felt.

We were told that we would keep trying to pull away, etc. I am talking about once we were told that we would be staying on the ship overnight again. All communication stopped at that point it seemed.

caslass
02-28-2010, 02:41 AM

What I don't understand is why your travel insurance will not pay you for the delay in trip.

I know when our flight was delayed a few years ago for 24 hours we were given food vouchers for the airport, evening meal at the hotel and again breakfast at the hotel. We were even given transport back and forth to the airport. However, the travel insurance STILL payed us the compensation we were entitled to because it was a 24 hour delay in the trip!

So, I think I would be pushing my travel insurance on this one OR the travel insurance you bought isn't worth the paper it is written on and DO NOT use them again.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Nobody labeled the OP....IrishKevin said he heard other passengers that day whining....he never mentioned the OP. Both sides are entitled to their opinions on how they viewed that day and their experiences.

We don't want this thread turning into a he said/she said.

MJ

You refer to post no 3. As this was a very early response to the OP, on this thread, when I read it I took it to be a direct response, however I agree, the statement could be taken either way as not directly quoted.

I agree that both sides are entitled to their opinions on that day and felt my post, showed empathy for both sides.

I will take your view that IRISHKEVIN was not specifically referring to the OP, however, as previously mentioned an early response did imply that.

I continue to feel the OP showed the impact on her and her family, and painted a good picture, I was 'taken there' with her when I read it.

I also mentioned DCL did a lot, for balance, but large corporations efforts do not always fulfill the individuals circumstances.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my notice.

MassDisLovers
02-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Like the OP, I was on this cruise. We had a markedly different experience on Saturday, and consequently I have no real problem with how we were treated before the cruise actually left. I do, however, agree that communication seemed to be lacking. I have a current TR in progress (We're Going on a Disney Cruise! But Wait.... Where's the Ship?) that chronicles our adventures before boarding, so I won't go over it all again.

What is frustrating to me now, is the inability to get any hard and fast answers from Disney about what the supposed 20% refund is actually going to look like, (13%? 14%? ) . We booked 3 of our party on DVC points, and 1 on cash (all in the same cabin, so she paid the "lower 4th passenger rate"), yet they gave us one lump sum credit and can't /won't explain how they determined the amount. What I want/need from them is a breakdown of how they calculated the refund. The person who paid cash was a friend traveling with our family and I want to make sure she gets her fair refund, but I have no idea which portion is truly hers. We obviously know what she originally paid, but what we don't know is what portion of that is actually refundable. The mystery of port charges (we missed St. Maarten), taxes, etc. makes figuring it all out nearly impossible.

I was on another line many years ago and we were "stuck" at sea for several days due to a hurricane. They gave us absolutely nothing (and we expected nothing). I think Disney did try hard to make things right as best they could, but this final "refund" issue is annoying.

HappyPeach
02-28-2010, 09:49 AM
I was on this cruise.

In support of the OP, I will share some of my experiences. I am actually fine with how things were handled other than communication. But I can't believe how some of you are attacking the OP and I'd like to provide a little support for her story.

There was an immense lack of communication. I think they should have called us. When I did my online registration, I provided my cell phone number. We could have stayed at our ILs home a couple of hours away. When we first got to the port, we spoke with one of the port employees who was way more honest than any of the Disney folks. We couldn't get answers and were given an 800 number (which, good luck speaking to a human!) Our situation was unique in that my FIL was pre-approved to leave the cruise in St. Thomas due to business. We couldn't get any information on the planned itinerary changes and Disney seemed unprepared for anyone to even ask the question. Ultimately, we did not go to St. Maarten on this cruise (so for those of you defending Disney with "you went to all the ports" -- no, we did not and the St. Maarten port fees are supposed to be refunded.)

We had our own car which cut down on the luggage hassle that many experienced. Those people on the Disney buses had to check and recheck their bags and they DID have to take them into Epcot. I didn't have to do that since I was in my personal car.

We didn't get to Epcot, however, until 4:30. The park was packed due to the holiday weekend. Some of the employees had no idea what we were talking about when we said we were sent over by the Magic (remember, we're in a car not a Diseny bus) and one employee even unnecessarily told us that DCL is a different company. Sort of the ultimate "not my job" attitude.

The pavilion was a nice effort but overwhelmingly loud and crowded for my now-tired and confused 4 y/o. The line for check in and hotel assignment is HOURS long. So we headed out into the park and checked out Nemo. Everything else had over an hour waits and there were no restaurant seatings available... none of it was surprising since it was late afternoon on a holiday. But for those of you that are giving the OP a hard time, this is the truth of what we experienced. When we swung by the pavillion again later, the immense line had gone down and we were able to check in and get our hotel assignment. We also were assigned the Rosen; it was a typical business conference hotel and was fine. We also ate there and we also found our dinner bill to exceed the Disney "allowance".

The next day when we got to the port, it was a madhouse. The lines were really long and we stood outside in the cold while TV crews filmed us. We didn't have the photos and introduction aboard... I now know that some people did but it wasn't offered to us. We boarded at deck 1 and employees directed us to go up to the buffet on the top deck or to go to our rooms.

Okay... all of that to say that I'm actually fine with how they handled everything other than the lack of honest communication. If airlines can call passengers, then so can Disney CL in my opinion. Once I got on the ship, I put the previous day behind me and we had a great time. I'm fine with the 20% off just the base fare, the onboard credits, the attempt they made in Epcot... they don't control the weather and I think they responded well. I hope that the next time, they'll have a better plan in place beforehand. If the port employees are telling you that it's 13 hours between CC and PC, then Disney knows it too... so be honest and upfront with your customers!

I don't see why someone who wasn't there would hide behind their computer to berate the OP as being ungrateful. It's insulting to tell the OP to buck up because this is no tragedy compared to a natural disaster. This is an expensive vacation provided by a company that markets itself as going beyond. If she's still disappointed, that is her right. virtual hugs to OP... :grouphug:

I just booked a 4-night Wonder as a girl's trip with a friend for this spring, so you can see that I'm as big a fan of DCL as ever.

mmouse37
02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
You refer to post no 3. As this was a very early response to the OP, on this thread, when I read it I took it to be a direct response, however I agree, the statement could be taken either way as not directly quoted.

I agree that both sides are entitled to their opinions on that day and felt my post, showed empathy for both sides.

I will take your view that IRISHKEVIN was not specifically referring to the OP, however, as previously mentioned an early response did imply that.

I continue to feel the OP showed the impact on her and her family, and painted a good picture, I was 'taken there' with her when I read it.

I also mentioned DCL did a lot, for balance, but large corporations efforts do not always fulfill the individuals circumstances.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my notice.

You are welcome, but his post was pretty clear he was NOT implying that the OP was whining but other passengers around him were. I agree that the OP had a rough day and has every right to voice her frustrations from that day.

MJ

walloon
02-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I was on this cruise as well. The other six days were great.

Judy's (and my) problem is that Disney is famed for its above and beyond customer service. We were all told multiple times that we would be refunded 20% of our cruise price. Not 20% of some phantom subtotal that we had never seen before.

Also the lack of notification is a very sore point. In my case I wouldn't have received any notification because I don't check email on vacation and DCL only had my home phone# not my cell.

But by the time I was listening to the recorded message they should have been able to tell me, 'The Magic is still at Castaway Cay, there will be no boarding today. The earliest boarding will take place is 11am Sunday morning'. Instead of a 'go to Epcot, we'll get you some type of hotel room'.

Since I was already in Cape Canaveral we elected to not travel to Epcot and we got our own room for the night.

We didn't have any travel insurance and I know Disney doesn't have to give us any more than they already have. I'll write them a letter being as courteous as possible.

I totally agree with this post. Our other 6 days were great.

Disney's math or what they conceive of 20% I don't get...

Also, they could of emailed us with regards to this. I checked my email at 9:30 that morning and nothing....They managed to email me many other items regarding my cruise...remember your passports, book your excursions etc. An email about this was not worthy?!?
Also, my message I received at home on our machine was at 11:30 am.

son3disfan
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Just a couple things to say..

I was on the Feb. 6th sailing that lasted 8 days.
We were thinking about you all, and everytime I got frustrated with how Disney was handling our situation,communication especially, I would think about you guys, and how it was probably much more difficult for you and your families. We were being feed, and entertained, and our trip was EXTENDED, and yours was, well, not going to be as magical as you hoped. For that, I really am sorry that your trip was so chaotic.

What I found out at the airport on Sunday, was that Disney was not only dealing with the Eastern getting out, and the Western coming in, but the Wonder was also going out that day. AND it was Presidents week. I don't think this could have helped the situation at all.

Not saying that it couldn't have been handled better. I know the gentleman I dealt with at the Magic Express counter- A manager of some sort ( trying to get a room for us for the night as our airline couldn't get us out until the next day) said Disney will be having MANY meetings about how things were handled, and how to improve on what happened. Comments to Disney will also help them understand what we as passengers went through.

SkyKnight
02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Here is a copy of the letter they gave us on the cruise. It says 20% off of the voyage fair. There are no disclaimers on what that means on the letter.

So 20% off should be 20% off.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MG8QekCRQtw/S4qY46KmHeI/AAAAAAAAACU/jpEXQ9S284c/s576/disneyletter.png

MassDisLovers
02-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I forgot to add this in my original post - when we left the ship on the 20th, we were taken aside by a DCL employee and asked if we would consider sending our thoughts to DCL on how the whole crazy thing was handled. I said I would do that and was given a business card with the information Here is the address to write to - they asked that we be AS SPECIFIC as possible to so they can learn from this incident:

Disney Cruise Vacations
Guest Communications
PO Box 10238
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0238

or e-mail @ DCL.Guest.Communications@disneycruise.com

As we have seen on this thread, the experiences we all had were very varied, and all are valid. I am beginning to wonder if the ultimate compensation will be varied as well ( I hope not!)

Kay1
02-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I think it must have been really hard for parents of young children. My son is 18 but severely autistic. I'm not sure how he would have coped with all the confusion.

:grouphug:

IrishKevin
02-28-2010, 12:05 PM
You are welcome, but his post was pretty clear he was NOT implying that the OP was whining but other passengers around him were. I agree that the OP had a rough day and has every right to voice her frustrations from that day.

MJ

Thank you MMOUSE37!!! I never implied that the OP was whining and for that I apologize if it was taken out of context...with that said the behavior of some of my fellow passengers was just inexcusable. For instance the free snacks at the "Command Post" were great except people were cutting into lines and grabbing more than their fair share. I can only describe it as "Looting".

PURTYPAT1
02-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I forgot to add this in my original post - when we left the ship on the 20th, we were taken aside by a DCL employee and asked if we would consider sending our thoughts to DCL on how the whole crazy thing was handled. I said I would do that and was given a business card with the information Here is the address to write to - they asked that we be AS SPECIFIC as possible to so they can learn from this incident:

Disney Cruise Vacations
Guest Communications
PO Box 10238
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0238

or e-mail @ DCL.Guest.Communications@disneycruise.com

As we have seen on this thread, the experiences we all had were very varied, and all are valid. I am beginning to wonder if the ultimate compensation will be varied as well ( I hope not!)

I was also on the this cruise, and I'm in the middle of the report.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2403413

I am a 1 year cancer survivor, my outlook thru out the first day, was to show my family, that sometimes in life, things don't work out the way you planned, and try to turn it around & make it a adventure. Our first day, alot had happend, we made the best.

I did rebook, Alaska received 20% off and I thought it wa 275.00 OBC. Will call Disney and find out when things settle down.

I received some refunds on my visa, I just can't get any of the Disney Cruise line people to explain the breakdown on it.

poeticdiabetic
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a question concerning the story:

Is the original poster trying to get compensated by Disney for the inconvenience rendered to her on the trip or is she trying to get compensation from the insurance company? The reason why I ask is because Disney isn't under any obligation to compensate anyone under these circumstances, but it will be up to the traveler to file a claim with the insurance company.

I've read a bit about the experiences concerning EPCOT, hotel stays, lack of communication, etc. It sounds like a good attempt to accommodate the traveller but they could have done better. But those attempts to accommodate the traveller is customer service but Disney isn't under any obligation to do any of that. Their obligation is to inform the traveller of the change and tell them to come back tomorrow. It is up to the traveller to find their own lodging, transportation, and other accommodations- keep their receipts, and later file a claim with their insurance company at the conclusion of their trip.

But I have another question: Where you not able to find out if the ship was at port? Did the ship get to the port the day that you left the hotel that was accommodated by Disney? The reason why is that if the ship was delayed but came, you cannot sue for that inconvenience. That would be like going to the airport only to find out that your plane was delayed. And as a result of that, you try to sue Delta Airlines for the cab fare and the price of the burger that you ate while waiting at the airport.

In other words, I think you have a great lawsuit with the travel insurance company. You should be able to be compensated for any and all costs for transportation, lodging, food, etc. during your hold over. But you can't sue for time and inconvenience unfortunately. Let me take that back... you can sue, but you won't win.

The only way to really get payback if you felt harmed is to tell others of your ordeal and decide whether or not you will patronize the company. You vote with your feet.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank you MMOUSE37!!! I never implied that the OP was whining and for that I apologize if it was taken out of context...with that said the behavior of some of my fellow passengers was just inexcusable. For instance the free snacks at the "Command Post" were great except people were cutting into lines and grabbing more than their fair share. I can only describe it as "Looting".

Thank you for the clarification, coming as post 3, I read that slightly differently, it could be taken to ways.

I do agree when things are offered sometimes it can only be described as looting, most people have respect for others. Seen it in Cove Cafe, as the snacks come out, they are sometimes all gone with one person.

My son was watching the TV clips of the people in the queues today, it was interesting.

TisBit
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the point trying to be made is that there was a lot that went wrong and you can cast stones at Disney or look at what they tried to do. Could they have reduced crowds at Epcot....no, but was it better than everyone sitting around in a conference room or cruise terminal?

As for Disney being able to notify thousands of people in a matter of hours is just unreasonable...and then people would complain they got a 1 minute voicemail saying the cruise was delayed and no real person to give them more information from. Setting up a recall list like that is a very very time consuming process, even for a computerized one, because all those numbers would have to be pre programmed into the computer. Airlines generally don't even do this for a hundred or so passengers, unless it is days in advance.

No one is saying that this wasn't a hassle, but it was also uncontrollable, what would have been a better and realistic solution? I just say, compare what Disney did to some airlines that will not give you a hotel, making you sleep in the terminal, or not provide food, etc etc. I, like many others are just trying to point out that this could have been much worse....if it were Carnival, what do you think they would have done?

ferastu
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I have a question concerning the story:

Is the original poster trying to get compensated by Disney for the inconvenience rendered to her on the trip or is she trying to get compensation from the insurance company? The reason why I ask is because Disney isn't under any obligation to compensate anyone under these circumstances, but it will be up to the traveler to file a claim with the insurance company.

I've read a bit about the experiences concerning EPCOT, hotel stays, lack of communication, etc. It sounds like a good attempt to accommodate the traveller but they could have done better. But those attempts to accommodate the traveller is customer service but Disney isn't under any obligation to do any of that. Their obligation is to inform the traveller of the change and tell them to come back tomorrow. It is up to the traveller to find their own lodging, transportation, and other accommodations- keep their receipts, and later file a claim with their insurance company at the conclusion of their trip.

But I have another question: Where you not able to find out if the ship was at port? Did the ship get to the port the day that you left the hotel that was accommodated by Disney? The reason why is that if the ship was delayed but came, you cannot sue for that inconvenience. That would be like going to the airport only to find out that your plane was delayed. And as a result of that, you try to sue Delta Airlines for the cab fare and the price of the burger that you ate while waiting at the airport.

In other words, I think you have a great lawsuit with the travel insurance company. You should be able to be compensated for any and all costs for transportation, lodging, food, etc. during your hold over. But you can't sue for time and inconvenience unfortunately. Let me take that back... you can sue, but you won't win.

The only way to really get payback if you felt harmed is to tell others of your ordeal and decide whether or not you will patronize the company. You vote with your feet.

First, I'm a Disney fan. Our family has taken 6 Disney vacations in the past 6 years and we are DVC owners.

As everyone on these boards is well aware Disney vacations (especially cruises) are pricier than other vacations. One of the reasons for this premium is the famed Disney Customer Service.

So while I agree they may not legally owe us anything more than they have already given us, I for one would like to be made a little more satisfied than I have been.

At the very least I'd like to see an exact breakdown of my 20% refund.

jinia
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
OP - I am so sorry that the beginning of your cruise was not fun! Sounds very uncomfortable! I can only imagine all that...Will be going on my first cruise 2011 an[Sd we choose the cruise so that we could relax and let someone else handle the details! LOL...I don't think that's what yall got! I hope the rest of your cruise was better and you didn't allow this start color your whole vacation:goodvibes.

I completely understand that the biggest issue was communication and I can't believe people are acting as if the thought of Disney contacting there patrons is ludicrous. Of course they can! Everyone on the ship was on the ship!- so they certainly could have made timely honest announcements. As for the people heading to the ship - they certainly could have contacted most of them!

Our school district contacts us via text & email when there is an issue with school closings and it is a huge district. Are yall telling me that Disney - that created technology to use tv's outside in the day - created original 3-D technology - made Crush interact with me - made the Laugh In interact with audience after audience can't use the same (or improve) technology as a Missouri school district! That is ridiculous!

ferastu
02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
As for Disney being able to notify thousands of people in a matter of hours is just unreasonable...and then people would complain they got a 1 minute voicemail saying the cruise was delayed and no real person to give them more information from. Setting up a recall list like that is a very very time consuming process, even for a computerized one, because all those numbers would have to be pre programmed into the computer. Airlines generally don't even do this for a hundred or so passengers, unless it is days in advance.

Our school system notifies a comparable number of families anytime there is a delay or cancellation due to weather. So I don't think DCL having such capability is unreasonable. Since they would have only had to use such capability twice? or so in their history, one could say unnecessary.

jinia
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Our school system notifies a comparable number of families anytime there is a delay or cancellation due to weather. So I don't think DCL having such capability is unreasonable. Since they would have only had to use such capability twice? or so in their history, one could say unnecessary.

ferastu great minds think alike!

ferastu
02-28-2010, 09:51 PM

I believe in INDUSTRY terms cruise price is the base price before taxes, port fees, etc. As customers, we usually think of price as being what we pay. When two people use different definitions for the same terms, this can lead to confusion.

I don't work in the cruise industry. I do know that port fees are included in that total as well as some type of taxes. My bill only shows $189 in taxes and fees.

As an example, When I purchase a car I can see $19500 price, $500 destination charge and $1400 sales tax (in the great state of Rhode Island) for a total of $21400. If for some reason GM/Ford/Toyota/whoever sent me a letter and said I was going to get a 20% refund, I'd be expecting $3900. If I only received $2850 dollars I would want to know how that was calculated.

Same thing here. Disney said 20%. The refund that they gave only total's 14.6% of that amount.

mjy
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM

ferastu great minds think alike!

The only difference about that -- our school system does that as well -- is that those names/numbers are input into the system's computer at the beginning of the year. It is not like they have to list all the numbers to call each time that a storm or other disaster comes about.

A cruise line would have to spend the time to input all the contact names/phone numbers into a system before it could do a "sudden" call out for a cancellation or delay. There is a lot of inputting time that most of us do not realize to prepare for those kinds of messages.

That being said, I really do feel for the OP and the many others who were greatly inconvenienced. It sounds that lack of communication was more of a problem/issue than anything else in this regard.

TisBit
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Actually, the way that equipment is used, is that all the numbers are input into the systems, then an automated message can be sent out to the inputed numbers when an emergency happens (I work a police department and we have this type of system to do an auto recall of our personnel). A school system basicly inputs this information in for all their employees and it stays in the system, they can add or delete, but the database is already established. They could even do it for the students/parents, but realisticly it would not be up and running day one, but would probably take a few weeks just to input all the data.

Disney would have to create a database for each and every cruise they have, individually in case there is a problem with THAT cruise. But then you have a problem of what message do you send out. Pretty much anything you put out will just cause lots of confusion and create a lot more heartache and only cause each and every person to contact customer service individually.

Disney has a protocal for such things, obviously, but it also take a lot of leg work to run down that protocal and get everything in place. The have to find rooms, get vouchers, arrange transportation, handle special needs (handicapped, etc)....It is not an easy undertaking with that large of a group, especially with less than 24 hrs notice.

It is understandable that people will be inconvenienced and annoyed, but there is only so much that anyone can do in that situation and I think they did the best that they could. Was it perfect? No, could it be improved, sure....there is always improvements that can be made, but think about how bad it could have been. Disney could have just given everyone vouchers to McDonald's and put them up in the local Motel 6 by the cruise terminal.

ferastu
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
A cruise line would have to spend the time to input all the contact names/phone numbers into a system before it could do a "sudden" call out for a cancellation or delay. There is a lot of inputting time that most of us do not realize to prepare for those kinds of messages.

Well they are already inputting a bunch of information. Adding one more field 'emergency contact number if ship late' would not add that much more time. The contact software could easily be changed to create a separate database per cruise. I work for a company developing large corporate software, so I do know the scope of such a change.

And somehow, DVC never has any trouble tracking me down when I am on vacation. Even if I'm not using points on that particular vacation. :cool1:

ferastu
02-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I was on this cruise.

We had our own car which cut down on the luggage hassle that many experienced. Those people on the Disney buses had to check and recheck their bags and they DID have to take them into Epcot. I didn't have to do that since I was in my personal car.

This wasn't true for everybody. I spoke to at least one family that flew in Sat morning. Had their luggage taken by DCL at the airport and they did not get it back until they were in their cabin late Sunday afternoon. They only had their day bag and ended up buying some clothes.

JsMom2
02-28-2010, 10:09 PM
OP - I am so sorry that the beginning of your cruise was not fun! Sounds very uncomfortable! I can only imagine all that...Will be going on my first cruise 2011 an[Sd we choose the cruise so that we could relax and let someone else handle the details! LOL...I don't think that's what yall got! I hope the rest of your cruise was better and you didn't allow this start color your whole vacation:goodvibes.

I completely understand that the biggest issue was communication and I can't believe people are acting as if the thought of Disney contacting there patrons is ludicrous. Of course they can! Everyone on the ship was on the ship!- so they certainly could have made timely honest announcements. As for the people heading to the ship - they certainly could have contacted most of them!

Our school district contacts us via text & email when there is an issue with school closings and it is a huge district. Are yall telling me that Disney - that created technology to use tv's outside in the day - created original 3-D technology - made Crush interact with me - made the Laugh In interact with audience after audience can't use the same (or improve) technology as a Missouri school district! That is ridiculous!

:thumbsup2 Exactly! I believe the OP's point is that they weren't given the information they needed to make their own decisions. If they'd been given the option to go to Epcot or make their own arrangements up to a certain dollar amount of compensation, then they could've just had a casual day down in PC if they so chose. It would've been quite easy for DCL to setup a call-in number or blast out text messages or emails to update the passengers. Especially since it takes 12 hours to get from CC!

Hopefully the OP will be able to get some compensation from her insurance for the extra costs. But there's no way to be compensated for the extra stress of that first day. Especially when traveling with children who've just come off of a transatlantic flight!

For those who wanted to be at Epcot that day, that's great. But I can certainly understand how the OP felt that her first day of vacation was hijacked!

Morty Fieldmouse
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
As an example, When I purchase a car I can see $19500 price, $500 destination charge and $1400 sales tax (in the great state of Rhode Island) for a total of $21400. If for some reason GM/Ford/Toyota/whoever sent me a letter and said I was going to get a 20% refund, I'd be expecting $3900. If I only received $2850 dollars I would want to know how that was calculated.

Same thing here. Disney said 20%. The refund that they gave only total's 14.6% of that amount.
Nice analogy. It sounds/ed to me like the OP would expect $4280 in this scenario, and is upset at only getting $3900.
Well they are already inputting a bunch of information. Adding one more field 'emergency contact number if ship late' would not add that much more time. The contact software could easily be changed to create a separate database per cruise.

Obviously they don't have this set up currently. Their current plan has everyone go to one place (pavillion in Epcot) where they can (eventually) receive updates.
I have faith that DCL wants to improve their process for dealing with the unforseen. If dissatisfied cruisers suggest this, or having a "hotline" to call for updated details, DCL may implement one/both/other ideas for future cruises.

Personally, I'd rather have a parkhopper pass since I've been to Epcot but not AK.

caslass
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM

I understand what you are saying. I use the same technology in my own school in England.

HOWEVER, you have to HAVE that technology to use it. They may not need to contact huge batches of people withe the same message at the same time, which I think is the case. Up until a year ago, I didn't have the software to do this and would have to ring up each individual parent personally. I don't think you can blame Disney for not having it as it is the first time they would have used it.

Also, that would not have caught a large portion of people who do go on holiday and either turn off their phones or don't have one as they are from abroad.

Communication is always screamed about when unexpected things happen. It is a logistical nightmare for even the smallest of things like a school. So, imagine what it is like for a cruise ship full of people. The first rule is to get as much info out to as many people as possible. It was a holiday weekend. There were people all over the place and they used Epcot as the central hub because it is the largest of the parks and can absorb a large number as a cruise ship with little impact on the park itself.

But, the FIRST rule of good communication is SHARED communication. Each person is responsible for this. I know it was no walk in the park for the CM who, as I see it, went out of the way to make it as best as possible under the circumstances.

As I stated before, get on to your insurance. Your trip was delayed and despite the efforts of Disney, you should be compensated for a 24 hour delay in your trip.

Life is too short to worry about the small stuff and this is SMALL STUFF!

5lilfish
03-01-2010, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=JsMom2;35639375For those who wanted to be at Epcot that day, that's great. But I can certainly understand how the OP felt that her first day of vacation was hijacked![/QUOTE]

I understand this completely! While we had a great day in Epcot and we were happy/satisfied with Disney, I still would have rather been on the ship. What I am saying though is that DCL is not to blame for the rough seas and, while it might have been somewhat expected from Disney, technically, Disney was not obligated to do anything. They also could not possibly make everyone happy with their efforts...but they did try.

Again...I do totally get the OP and the frustration. I feel bad that their vacation started on a bad note.

As for e-mail/phone notification: Even that would not have worked for everyone. We would not have checked our e-mail that morning. We would have received the phone call on our cell, but I'm sure there are people that did not have a phone with them. So, even this would not have helped keep everyone happy/satisfied.

It's funny that people bring up the school closing phone calls. The district my DH works for does this and we hate it. By the time they call, we have already heard about the closing online or on the radio. We are usually back in bed when the phone rings....just goes to show you that no system is perfect for everyone. We've tried, with no luck, to get off this phone list.

Jess

HappyPeach
03-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Employees at Port Canaveral were notified at 8 PM the night before. I don't care about a database and automated phone calls. They could have pulled employees off the reservation center and had them make outgoing calls the night before. Even if the message was that the ship would be late and that we needed to call in and check the 800-number (that had a recording) the next morning. There are 875 cabins and I don't find it unreasonable for a company that size to pull 30 employees and have each make ~30 phone calls. Airlines routinely call -- and not just with days notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPeach
I was on this cruise.

Posted by Ferastu
This wasn't true for everybody. I spoke to at least one family that flew in Sat morning. Had their luggage taken by DCL at the airport and they did not get it back until they were in their cabin late Sunday afternoon. They only had their day bag and ended up buying some clothes.
Well, that's even worse. My whole point was just to support the OP and back up her story of inconvenience. A lot of people on this board seem to think we got a "free" trip to Epcot and don't realize that it was no vacation day.

TisBit
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Employees at Port Canaveral were notified at 8 PM the night before. I don't care about a database and automated phone calls. They could have pulled employees off the reservation center and had them make outgoing calls the night before. Even if the message was that the ship would be late and that we needed to call in and check the 800-number (that had a recording) the next morning. There are 875 cabins and I don't find it unreasonable for a company that size to pull 30 employees and have each make ~30 phone calls. Airlines routinely call -- and not just with days notice.

Well, that's even worse. My whole point was just to support the OP and back up her story of inconvenience. A lot of people on this board seem to think we got a "free" trip to Epcot and don't realize that it was no vacation day.

I think you are taking it a bit too personally, while others are looking at it more of "what could have happened". Yes, your vacation go screwed up, but through no "fault" of Disney.

I think a lot of people are looking at the bare bones how could this have been worse/better given the circumstances. So yes, you got a trip over to Epcot, imagine if they just had rented a ball room and had everyone stuffed in there...which is what most cruise lines do.

And, I go back to, even with an automated call back system, what recorded message could they have put out that would have reduced confusion and better helped with communication. Truthfully, I don't think there is one....any automated message would have just added to the lack of confusion because no one would get through on the 1-800 number....for either the ones delayed inbound or outbound. Which is a great factor many are not considering, think of the 2-4 thousand people on the ship who now are missing flights, family members trying to pick them up, etc.....Disney was overwhelmed, no doubt, but how could they REASONABLY plan for that?

HappyPeach
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I think you are taking it a bit too personally, while others are looking at it more of "what could have happened". Yes, your vacation go screwed up, but through no "fault" of Disney.

I

I'm probably taking it personally because it was personal to me. I was there. This isn't theoretical to me. I got more information from Port employees than from Disney personnel.

As far as "what could have happened"... well, I drove from family's home in north FL, so a phone call would have meant that my family and I stayed put. No "hotel ballroom" for me. No dragging my young child back and forth from Orlando to PC and back to Orlando. Not everyone flew in to Orlando and took a Disney bus. ;)

This thread started as one person stating her experience and has devolved into a bunch of Disney apologists - who were not there - telling those of us who were there that we are wrong. A phone call would have made a huge difference for some of us. Communication was sorely lacking from Disney.

Hopefully my cruise in May will go as scheduled; but you better believe I'll call DCL the night before (and morning of) to make sure!

5lilfish
03-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm probably taking it personally because it was personal to me. I was there. This isn't theoretical to me. I got more information from Port employees than from Disney personnel.

As far as "what could have happened"... well, I drove from family's home in north FL, so a phone call would have meant that my family and I stayed put. No "hotel ballroom" for me. No dragging my young child back and forth from Orlando to PC and back to Orlando. Not everyone flew in to Orlando and took a Disney bus. ;)

This thread started as one person stating her experience and has devolved into a bunch of Disney apologists - who were not there - telling those of us who were there that we are wrong. A phone call would have made a huge difference for some of us. Communication was sorely lacking from Disney.

Hopefully my cruise in May will go as scheduled; but you better believe I'll call DCL the night before (and morning of) to make sure!

Just to point out, in my case...I was there too. I just happen to represent the other side of the coin. I was/am very happy and satified with how things were handled. To me...it was a bad situation, beyond disney's control and although they were under no obligation to do so, I felt disney did the best they could to make help smooth things out. For my family, our day in Epcot was a vacation day. Sure, given the choice, we'd have rather been on the ship...but we still had a very nice day.

Jess

love2driveinct
03-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Do you think a "cruise status" website would help? Something along the lines of what the airlines do... each cruise company could do their own, or there could even be a company that manages all of them.

Instead of checking by flight number and date, you would check by cruise description and date. Next to each cruise there could be a status that says something along the lines of "on time", "delayed", "cancelled", etc.

The airlines do not contact us; they expect that we will check our flight status before we leave the house, and again when we arrive at the airport. Maybe it would be nice if something similar to this became the norm for cruise lines as well.

OurDogCisco
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
To the OP, I'm sorry your cruise start was miserable and I haven't read all the pages and maybe at some point you did figure this out. But if you have trip insurance you still get to claim the first missing day regardless of whether or not Disney gave you a hotel room or food vouchers. You still missed one day of the cruise, plain and simple. So, let's say the cruise cost $7000. So, it is about $1000 a day. You should get $1000 back. You are so hung up on the credit voucher as that has nothing to do with the day you are getting compensated for. It is just a goodwill.

Also, your story was good because it helps other people decide what to do. I would definitely make my own plans. You live and learn and now you know what do in the future..

Now, I'm confused because it sounds like you got a refund and not a credit but the refund was only 13-14% is that correct? 1/7 = 14% so, the refund is correct in my eyes but maybe somebody can inlightened me.

PURTYPAT1
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Do you think a "cruise status" website would help? Something along the lines of what the airlines do... each cruise company could do their own, or there could even be a company that manages all of them.

The airlines do not contact us; they expect that we will check our flight status before we leave the house, and again when we arrive at the airport. Maybe it would be nice if something similar to this became the norm for cruise lines as well.

I was staying at the airport Hyatt, went downstairs to the Disney Cruise Line Desk at 6:30 AM the morning of our cruise 2/13/10 I was told by serveral Disney Cruise employees that the Magic would be in port at about 3 pm later that day. Many other families were checking in were told the same.

When I checked out of the Hyatt they took our luggage away and we were told that it was going to the port. We never saw our luggage till 8PM Sunday night. :scared1:

At noon or shortly after that, we were told in the Hyatt lobby that Magic wasn't going to be in Port Canaveral.

The airport, was pure chaos. Epcot was oraganized with lot's of long...... lines. I was in line from the time we got to Epcot which was 1:00 PM till 5PM My family was able to go on 2 rides, but they ended up in line, in guest service trying to book dinner, while I was getting our hotel in the Wonders of Life.

Next AM long lines to sign up to board the bus, once at the port, long lines to board the Magic.

I met a woman in line, that told me that a similar incident happend to her mother & her last year on the Carnaval ship. They did nothing for her and her family. No dinner no hotel nothing

PURTYPAT1
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
To the OP, I'm sorry your cruise start was miserable and I haven't read all the pages and maybe at some point you did figure this out. But if you have trip insurance you still get to claim the first missing day regardless of whether or not Disney gave you a hotel room or food vouchers. You still missed one day of the cruise, plain and simple. So, let's say the cruise cost $7000. So, it is about $1000 a day. You should get $1000 back. You are so hung up on the credit voucher as that has nothing to do with the day you are getting compensated for. It is just a goodwill.

Also, your story was good because it helps other people decide what to do. I would definitely make my own plans. You live and learn and now you know what do in the future..

Now, I'm confused because it sounds like you got a refund and not a credit but the refund was only 13-14% is that correct? 1/7 = 14% so, the refund is correct in my eyes but maybe somebody can inlightened me.

OurDogCisco I have travel insurance with AAA, I have been playing phone tag with them & having talked to them as of yet. I didn't think we could apply for the missed first Day? :confused3 Thanks for the heads up I will ask.

sabrecmc
03-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I hope the OP and others on this cruise do take the time to write to DCL. I've read several of these threads and while it seems lots was done right and ultimately, everyone made it home safely, which is the big thing, there are definitely areas for improvement. This was an unusual circumstance. There was no way things were going to go perfectly, but your feedback can help for next time. From the point of view of someone not having to deal with it, it honestly sounds that DCL did a lot, but I'm sure if I were "in the trenches" so to speak, I would probably feel differently. I would also think that DCL would honestly appreciate some constructive feedback about how they could do better next time something like this happens. It really sounds like communication failures were the major issues and that is certainly an area where things can be improved upon. That being said, what DCL owes you and what DCL might do for you in the spirit of guest services are really two different things. Trip insurance is recommended for a reason. I would definitely follow through with reimbursement from the insurance company. That's the point of thinking ahead, right!

PrincessTrisha
03-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I met a woman in line, that told me that a similar incident happend to her mother & her last year on the Carnaval ship. They did nothing for her and her family. No dinner no hotel nothing

Yes - but you pay half as much on Carnival. For the cost of a Disney Cruise I could cruise on Carnival plus rent a suite at a Deluxe Disney hotel and probably still come out ahead.

Disney has giant ballrooms and catering capacity. They could have still brought in the characters and "fun" stuff but provided adequate food and a comfortable place to wait on the news. It would have allowed for a better flow of information as they would have had the majority of their "guests" in one spot at one time.

poeticdiabetic
03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
First, I'm a Disney fan. Our family has taken 6 Disney vacations in the past 6 years and we are DVC owners.

As everyone on these boards is well aware Disney vacations (especially cruises) are pricier than other vacations. One of the reasons for this premium is the famed Disney Customer Service.

So while I agree they may not legally owe us anything more than they have already given us, I for one would like to be made a little more satisfied than I have been.

At the very least I'd like to see an exact breakdown of my 20% refund.

Due to the fact that legally they don't owe you anything; I would believe that if they gave you a 20% refund, it was an arbitrary move that speaks to a customer service effort. I don't think they could provide you with a breakdown because there might not be a policy that they can revert to. They may have a "If you get an irate customer on the line, you are hereby authorized to provide a 20% refund for their troubles" kinda thing. But since I'm not a lawyer, nor do I work for Disney; I wouldn't know their policies.

But as I've previously stated, your big issues are with the trip insurance company. You really need to follow up with them concerning compensation.

walloon
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
We made the best of the day in Epcot, was it where we wanted to be on the first day of vacation? No, but hey, there are far worse places to be.

A recorded phone message or email could have saved us the time of going to the port and they could have just sent us directly to Epcot. We had our own transportation.

While in the crazy long lines to get information at Epcot, we did ask someone about fast passes or something, there was no way my kids would wait in line for over an hour for a ride, and a nice lady walked us over and took us right up to get right on Test Track. That was Disney Service:banana:

I still don't get my refund.
We rebooked another cruise while on board. $400 deposit.

Ironically my Disney Visa has been credited two line items. $159 (I assume the port fees that have been discussed here?)
and $400.

I don't think 20% of my cruise is the exact amount of my deposit for my next cruise plus $159?

TisBit
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM

I meant people discussing what could have been done became personal. No one here has said "get over it" or that you were not inconvenienced. Many people are not being Disney apologist, but rather saying that they did go above and beyond, compared to what other cruise lines and service orgnaizations would have done for their customers.

And again, how could Disney REASONABLY keep 2-4 thousand people notified on a one on basis. It would have been great for Disney to have also hired private cars to transport people around, but it is not reasonable, so busses would have to do. As someone said, maybe a website that keeps people up to date would have worked well...but it would not have given everyone their hotel assignments or the vouchers etc.

As the other poster mentioned from the airport mentioned, apparently in the morning they were still hoping to have the ship there that day, just late. So if you weren't around and it DID come in, that would have caused problems.

Basicly, a lot of people are trying to find what Disney did right, what they did wrong and what could be improved.....a simple business model of reviewing an incident like this. It is easy to be "mad" at Disney, I doubt they could have done anything to make everyone happy. Some people were happy with the Disney response, some weren't, differences of opinion, thats all.

nic_x
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Many airlines DO contact fliers, regardless of a flight's on-time status. When I buy tickets, I always check the airline's website to see if I can sign up for flight notification. Usually it's very easy--you input where and how you wish to receive flight notification (for instance, text msg, phone call, or e-mail) and how soon prior to the flight. Many times I've been notified that a flight is delayed via text message from the airline before it's even posted in the terminal, which means I can make alternate arrangements if necessary.

Since DCL has a LOT of our info, I don't think it'd be tough for them to set up a system for automatic notification. We'd just need to check a box with our preferred method. It wouldn't necessarily get us ALL the info we might want, or get it to us before we've left for port, but I think any little bit helps.

Weather and mechanical difficulties happen. Most people I know do their best to roll with it, but any info we have (especially anyone toting around a young child or two) is helpful.

I hope everyone who was on this particular cruise ends up with a satisfactory result.

OurDogCisco
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Many airlines DO contact fliers, regardless of a flight's on-time status. When I buy tickets, I always check the airline's website to see if I can sign up for flight notification. Usually it's very easy--you input where and how you wish to receive flight notification (for instance, text msg, phone call, or e-mail) and how soon prior to the flight. Many times I've been notified that a flight is delayed via text message from the airline before it's even posted in the terminal, which means I can make alternate arrangements if necessary.

Since DCL has a LOT of our info, I don't think it'd be tough for them to set up a system for automatic notification. We'd just need to check a box with our preferred method. It wouldn't necessarily get us ALL the info we might want, or get it to us before we've left for port, but I think any little bit helps.

Weather and mechanical difficulties happen. Most people I know do their best to roll with it, but any info we have (especially anyone toting around a young child or two) is helpful.

I hope everyone who was on this particular cruise ends up with a satisfactory result. But there is a HUGE difference between Airline flights and cruise delays. How often does a Disney cruise get delayed? Probably not too often. However, an airline ticket reservation time will change 20 times between the time I book it and I actually take the flight. I doubt Disney wants to spend the money or time or energy getting it right for the occasional cruise.

love2driveinct
03-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Oh, I didn't realize that some of the airlines have that option now. I have flown only twice in the past ten years. That is great news.

MassDisLovers
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I think the 2500 passengers probably had 2500 different experiences/reactions to the events leading up to us boarding the ship on Sunday. The 4 of us in my party (like many others who have posted here) were able to make the best of a not-so-good situation. I'm sure the same was true for the 2500 who were stranded on the ship as well. Some thought it was fun to have an extra day, some were truly annoyed and frustrated. It's human nature to react differently to the same situation. I think Disney truly intended to have us board later on Saturday afternoon, as that was the letter we first received from the Boardwalk front desk. They were estimating a 3 pm arrival of the Magic, according to the letter. Later in the day we were told that was not going to happen, and that the voyage would be delayed until Sunday. It was an evolving situation all day for both DCL and for all of us. I did the best I could to get through it all, and would like to think that Disney did, too.

And, by the way, if you still have your ticket they gave you that day, check the back.... they were "Complimentary 1 Day Park Hoppers" with an expiration date of 2/13/10. We stayed in EPCOT, but spoke with many people on the ship who went to other parks.

love2driveinct
03-01-2010, 04:11 PM
But there is a HUGE difference between Airline flights and cruise delays. How often does a Disney cruise get delayed? Probably not too often. However, an airline ticket reservation time will change 20 times between the time I book it and I actually take the flight. I doubt Disney wants to spend the money or time or energy getting it right for the occasional cruise.

That was my thought... that setting up an automated notification system similar to what school systems have might be more difficult than just posting information on a website that people could check. Sure, not every single passenger has access to the internet as they are getting ready to travel and in the process of getting there, but most do. And for the ones that don't, there could be an automated telephone line for people to call.

Every person would be given this website and telephone number when he or she made a reservation -- the travel agent or cruise line would provide it.

Because these types of delays aren't nearly as common as airline delays, nor are there as many cruises going on around the world as there are flights, it might be something better done by one company. Sort of like the cruise lines use a particular company for those pricey ship-to-shore calls? Maybe there is a company that could manage cruise status.

Oh well... I guess I don't really need to think about this anymore... :crazy2:

tvguy
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
That was my thought... that setting up an automated notification system similar to what school systems have might be more difficult than just posting information on a website that people could check. Sure, not every single passenger has access to the internet as they are getting ready to travel and in the process of getting there, but most do. And for the ones that don't, there could be an automated telephone line for people to call.

Every person would be given this website and telephone number when he or she made a reservation -- the travel agent or cruise line would provide it.

Because these types of delays aren't nearly as common as airline delays, nor are there as many cruises going on around the world as there are flights, it might be something better done by one company. Sort of like the cruise lines use a particular company for those pricey ship-to-shore calls? Maybe there is a company that could manage cruise status.

Oh well... I guess I don't really need to think about this anymore... :crazy2:

Hey, it was a no win situation for Disney. They could not provide the cruise folks expected. I know Disney will fully investigate everything from how they handled those on board, how they handled those on the next cruise, and mostly, whether the Captain made the right choice in deciding to go to Castaway Cay in the first place.
As for the notification system, it would help some folks , but I only know from my trip experience it would not have helped me. I would have already been in transit and unreachable until I got to my hotel at midnight Friday night.
Those phone notification systems schools use can cause more problems than they solve...we had an issue just last Friday with such a system where the notification caused more problems than doing nothing.

sabrecmc
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Those phone notification systems schools use can cause more problems than they solve...we had an issue just last Friday with such a system where the notification caused more problems than doing nothing.

Agreed. I travel for work quite a bit and it is pretty common to get a phone notification where there has been a subsequent change that I only find out about by getting to the airport or checking online. There is no perfect communication system just yet. Not that DCL couldn't do better, but nothing is going to work perfectly for everyone.

cats mom
03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Here is a copy of the letter they gave us on the cruise. It says 20% off of the voyage fair. There are no disclaimers on what that means on the letter.

So 20% off should be 20% off.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MG8QekCRQtw/S4qY46KmHeI/AAAAAAAAACU/jpEXQ9S284c/s576/disneyletter.png

Have you pulled out your cruise documents to verify DCL's numbers?

On the cruise information page of my most recent DCL doc package it breaks the pricing down as follows:

Fare
Insurance
Fuel Supplement
Gvmt Taxes & Fees
Airport Taxes & Fess

Total Charges

It seems to me many folks just assumed the 20% would come off line #6 (Total Charges), but the letter clearly states you are being offered 20% off line #1 (Fare = voyage fare)

I think DCL offered a very nice compensation package for something that was beyond their control, and I do understand the difficulty of trying to communicate to such a large number of shoreside passengers while the situation was ever changing and evolving. But it sounds like they definitely need to implement new procuderes so they can do a much better job of that. I have no idea what the problem was when it came to communicating with onboard passengers though. Honest communication can go a long way toward diffusing a difficult situation. We get that everything can't always be a fairy tale.

SkyKnight
03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I think everyone alive would have assumed that the line on the receipt that says Fare is the line that they would use to calculate the 20% . It's on the upper right hand side of the confirmation.

Fare: $.......
Vacation Protection Plan $........
Gvmt Taxes and Fees $........
Ground Transfers $........

So if you read the Disney letter on the previous post it clearly says 20% off the Voyage Fare. A response to me today from Disney Cruise Line says that the Fare is made up of two types. Compensated and Non Compensated....... The Fare is the Fare minus $159 per person in your party then the 20% comes off.

If they had explained that when they told us the 20% would come off, then there would be no confusion or hard feelings. To expect 20% off the fare and only get 20% off of the fare after $159 in an unknown and never explained "non-compensated fare" is deducted per person seems not only confusing but just a little sneaky and a poor choice.

I hope Disney corrects this for everyone. 20% off the Fare means 20% off the Fare not 20% of what's left and we do some secret math.

marbet
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Just to point out, in my case...I was there too. I just happen to represent the other side of the coin. I was/am very happy and satified with how things were handled. To me...it was a bad situation, beyond disney's control and although they were under no obligation to do so, I felt disney did the best they could to make help smooth things out. For my family, our day in Epcot was a vacation day. Sure, given the choice, we'd have rather been on the ship...but we still had a very nice day.

Jess

Jess - I can't agree with you more. I was there with a group of 9 people with 2 children under the age of 10. We all felt like Disney did the best they could and we were glad that at least we had the day at Epcot along with the food vouchers. It was our first Disney cruise for 3 of us. We had a great time even though it was 1 day/port short of what we anticipated.

MassDisLovers
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Jess - I can't agree with you more. I was there with a group of 9 people with 2 children under the age of 10. We all felt like Disney did the best they could and we were glad that at least we had the day at Epcot along with the food vouchers. It was our first Disney cruise for 3 of us. We had a great time even though it was 1 day/port short of what we anticipated.

I agree with you both.

cats mom
03-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I think everyone alive would have assumed that the line on the receipt that says Fare is the line that they would use to calculate the 20% . It's on the upper right hand side of the confirmation.

Fare: $.......
Vacation Protection Plan $........
Gvmt Taxes and Fees $........
Ground Transfers $........

So if you read the Disney letter on the previous post it clearly says 20% off the Voyage Fare. A response to me today from Disney Cruise Line says that the Fare is made up of two types. Compensated and Non Compensated....... The Fare is the Fare minus $159 per person in your party then the 20% comes off.

If they had explained that when they told us the 20% would come off, then there would be no confusion or hard feelings. To expect 20% off the fare and only get 20% off of the fare after $159 in an unknown and never explained "non-compensated fare" is deducted per person seems not only confusing but just a little sneaky and a poor choice.

I hope Disney corrects this for everyone. 20% off the Fare means 20% off the Fare not 20% of what's left and we do some secret math.

Thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup2

I agree, DCL needs to add another line on their price breakdown to make it easier for folks to understand then.

I just assumed that with everyone so upset over not getting the full 20% off, they must have been looking at the total charges instead of the fare. My bad.:guilty:

That said, while I do understand the frustration over DCL's mystery math calculations, I guess I'm a bit surprised that folks are sooo worked up over $32 per person (20% off $159)

I think DCL offered a very generous package, that they were absolutely not obligated to offer. If they're inundated with complaints, maybe they'll rethink offering anything at all next time, and I'm not sure I'd blame them. JMO

Corwin
03-02-2010, 11:19 AM
We were on the 2/14 Disney Wonder cruise. We were in Epcot on 2/13 and ran into a number of people from the delayed 2/13 Disney Magic cruise. The one family we talked to in detail about the issue were quite happy with the compensation that DCL offered.

The only real impact that the delay had on our cruise was that there were fewer DCL buses (so our bus was completely filled and we had to stop at several other resorts), and there were fewer check-in agents available at the Disney terminal, because half of the staff had been diverted over to the other terminal for the Disney Magic check-in. Our ship (the Wonder) actually departed before the Magic on 2/14.

(Both ships sounded the signature "When You Wish Upon a Star" blast on their horns as we passed them going down the channel. :thumbsup2 )

mmouse37
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
We were on the 2/14 Disney Wonder cruise. We were in Epcot on 2/13 and ran into a number of people from the delayed 2/13 Disney Magic cruise. The one family we talked to in detail about the issue were quite happy with the compensation that DCL offered.

The only real impact that the delay had on our cruise was that there were fewer DCL buses (so our bus was completely filled and we had to stop at several other resorts), and there were fewer check-in agents available at the Disney terminal, because half of the staff had been diverted over to the other terminal for the Disney Magic check-in. Our ship (the Wonder) actually departed before the Magic on 2/14.

(Both ships sounded the signature "When You Wish Upon a Star" blast on their horns as we passed them going down the channel. :thumbsup2 )

If you have not seen it yet...there is a great video of the ships doing their horn thing down the channel that cruise!!!

MJ

Mineu
03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Goodness-took a long time to read all 7 pages and I certainly see both sides of the story as we were also on the "6" day cruise! I totally understand the disappointment of my fellow passengers and the lack of understanding from those not on board. People handle disappointment and stress in different ways-what seems like a big problem to me may seem like a non-issue to someone else. I think communication was definitely hit or miss-I kept checking out this site for updates-which helped a lot! The Radisson was kind enough to bus us to the port where the porters suggested we gather 24 hours of "stuff"-although it was initially embarrassing to gather all of my unmentionables in front of a crowd of people-I was very happy that I had done so later that night!! Over all I think they tried their best to make everyone happy. I think the lines could have been cut down by: 1)posting the hotel assignments on a wall by name and having a desk set up for those who had problems 2) organizing bus departures better-not sure how-but this was a several hour wait Sunday morning 3) and the line Sunday at the warehouse/terminal or what ever that was-wow that was a mess! Once the "voice of the monorail" guy showed up he allowed those of us who had checked in the day before at the port to board-which really helped-as my "picky" family had bypassed the stale muffins and fruit at the hotel and were starting to get the food deprivation "uglies". Once we were ushered through the garage-we were on board, eating, and enjoying the ship. Was I disappointed to not be on the ship Saturday? Sure? Was I very, very grateful to finally get on board Sunday- heck, yes!!:worship: All in all. it could have been worse-it could have been better-but it was an adventure to talk about and share with my family for years! By the way-has anyone booked on points received their refund checks yet? We did our best to spend it all on board but ran out of time and luggage space... :goodvibes

MassDisLovers
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Well said, Mineu. :thumbsup2

Our party of 4 was booked on points (3 persons) and cash (1 person) and just today finally spoke to someone at DVC who explained the whole thing to me about how points were converted to cash value, and what amount of the refund belongs to what passenger. I was so happy to finally have that straight that I didn't ask when our checks would becoming. But it will be welcome whenever we get it! :banana:

Tea
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Hello,
I received a email stating the check will arrive within two weeks.
I too was on the 6 day cruise. I never asked for a breakdown. I too pd for one child cash and three using points. Despite the delay we had a great time and can not wait to book again. Totally understand frustration.
Good Luck!
Tea

sbell111
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
The way I see it, DCL was not contractually obligated to do anything. They actually did quite a bit. It's too bad that what they did is not good enough for some people who were booked on that cruise, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

SkyKnight
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
My point was that if it was clear upfront that the credit was 20% AFTER $159 was deducted per person, it would have been fine. Thanks DCL for the credit. We were not told about the $159 deductions so there was NO 20% discount and it was a secret unless you did the math and asked why.

I supose you would have been happy as pie to learn you were getting 20% off only to learn that it was really 14 or 15% with no explanation. Well good for you to not mind being mislead.

mmouse37
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
This thread has run it course and seems bickering is starting again so it's being closed.

MJ