PDA

View Full Version : Boarding later in the cruise from a different port.

AnnMarie3
02-27-2010, 10:56 AM
A have an unusual situation. We are sailing on the Magic Western caribbean in April. My husband just found out he is unable to go for work related reasons.:sad2: My best friend may go in his place, but she unable to go on the sail date. She is thinking of flying in to Grand Cayman and boarding there. Disney has approved this. Has anyone ever boarded in another port? How was it?

Thanks for any info

justmestace
02-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised they approved it, my guess would have been that they didn't.

But we have seen entertainers get on at different ports. They usually have a taxi drop them at the pier, and just walk up with their passports, documents and luggage, and board via the gangway, just as passengers get off and on.

I have no idea how DCL will handle it with a passenger...since there's paperwork involved. But I'm sure they'll let you know. It would be best to ask THEM.

NancyIL
02-27-2010, 11:35 AM
On the western cruise, you can't board in Key West because it's a US port. I think any of the foreign ports should be ok for boarding.

HappyPeach
02-27-2010, 11:37 AM
My FIL did the opposite -- left the cruise in St. Thomas in order to travel for business. He was basically grouped in with entertainers who were leaving the ship. There is a boarding control officer (that's the best I can remember the title... I might be a little off) who handled FIL plus the entertainers. If Disney has approved it, I'd imagine that your friend will be given specific info about who to ask for and the procedure to follow upon boarding. Keep in mind that there seems to be just one ship officer in charge of this stuff, so there might be a bit of waiting once at the ship (this was our experience with FIL... we went down with him to say goodbye and ended up waiting ~ 20 minutes... met the entertainers and chatted with them a bit.)

kcashner
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
This is very rarely permitted, and as above, there are legal issues involved. We did see several "Disney Royalty" types allowed to do it on the Panama crossing.

Since Disney has already approved it, they will send you very precise instructions. Your friend is probably responsible for getting him/her self from the airport to the tender port where he will undergo a "check in" sort of process.

Lemola
02-27-2010, 12:06 PM
On the Jan 17th Wonder, we were in line to get back on the boat in Nassau and there was a couple in front of us that was boarding for the first time. We spoke to them briefly about their situation. She was supposed to be a bridesmaid (or "attendant" would be a better term since she was married) in a wedding on board the Wonder. However she was over 24 weeks pregnant at the time and was not allowed to sail. So Disney allowed her and her spouse to board in Nassau, be present for the wedding and party, and disembark prior to our departure from port (2am). As for the procedure, they merely got in line at the gangplank with the rest of us and approached one of the CM's to let them know who they were. The were taken to the front of the line and taken aside at the computer check in station where their credentials/papers were verified. Looked easy and painless. And it looked like something that happened often enough that there was little confusion on the part of any and all CM's involved.

DVCconvert
02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
......This is very rarely permitted, and as above, there are legal issues involved. We did see several "Disney Royalty" types allowed to do it .......

OmG! :eek: I've done that...soooo.....

That mean's I"M ROYALTY too!!!! !!
:grouphug::flower3::snooty:

:lmao: :rotfl2::lmao:

Andrew DEREK UK
02-27-2010, 12:10 PM
OmG! :eek: I've done that...soooo.....

That mean's I"M ROYALTY too!!!! !!
:grouphug::flower3::snooty:

:lmao: :rotfl2::lmao:

:worship::worship::worship::worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

But your Royal highness, I am sorry to say it is far more common than some posters feel, in fact in other places its very very common, with multiple places to embark disembark a cruise, so you can make it as long as or as short as you want, makes sense it cuts down the embarkation and disembarkation pressure points.

Loads of cruise lines do this in the Caribbean.

NancyIL
02-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Given the price of a Disney cruise and the fact that DCL probably doesn't discount the price for late embarkers - I don't think it happens intentionally on DCL very often. However, I imagine "missing the boat" in FL is a fairly regular occurrence, so people will catch-up with the ship where they can.

DVCconvert
02-27-2010, 12:29 PM
.......But your Royal highness, I am sorry to say it is far more common than some posters feel, in fact in other places its very very common, with multiple places to embark disembark a cruise, .....

:eek:
I pray ye...is't that not but Earwigging???

"Canst thou, O partial sleep, give thy repose
To the wet sea-boy in an hour so rude,
And in the calmest and most stillest night,
With all appliances and means to boot,
Deny it to a king? Then happy low, lie down!
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."

;)
:lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

msmayor
02-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Isn't this port one that is easily missed because the tendering operations are closed due to rough waves?

I would have a backup plan and insurance on this one. Your friend could end up stranded in Grand Cayman if they cancel tender operations.

eskimoinparadise
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
On the western cruise, you can't board in Key West because it's a US port. I think any of the foreign ports should be ok for boarding.

We've been on DCL Western's where passengers boarded in Key West because their flight into MCO was delayed and they missed the ship.

NancyIL
02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
We've been on DCL Western's where passengers boarded in Key West because their flight into MCO was delayed and they missed the ship.
Technically you aren't supposed to be able to join the ship in another US port when the ship departs from a US port. That Violates the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

Andrew DEREK UK
02-27-2010, 02:09 PM
:eek:
I pray ye...is't that not but Earwigging???

"Canst thou, O partial sleep, give thy repose
To the wet sea-boy in an hour so rude,
And in the calmest and most stillest night,
With all appliances and means to boot,
Deny it to a king? Then happy low, lie down!
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."

;)
:lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

:worship::worship::worship::worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

:lmao: