PDA

View Full Version : How would you know if you could upgrade at port

catzle
02-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Just wondering if there is a way to know if you are able to buy an upgrade at port. Would hate to show up early and there not be any upgrades for sale.

HallsofVA
02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
If you're looking for a non-suite upgrade (up to Cat 4) then you can check availability online on the Disney Cruise website. I think travelocity or a similiar site will also show you more of the available rooms in each category if you really want to get a sense of availability.

I generally end up calling DCL the week before or week of my cruise to inquire about the availability of upgrades, and the cost of the upgrade if I was to do it in advance. I've historically said no because the retail cost is way too high ($10000 for a Cat 12 to Cat 3 upgrade) but then I have that number in mind when I see the pricing at the port, and knew that the $2300 I paid at the port was a much more tolerable number.

When we upgraded to the Roy suite, I'd called that week and learned that there were no Cat 3 suites available, but there was 1 Cat 1 and 1 Cat 2 available.

The one cruise that we didn't upgrade at the port was one that was showing no availability online before the cruise, so we didn't even bother getting to the port early on that one.

eva
02-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Just wondering if there is a way to know if you are able to buy an upgrade at port. Would hate to show up early and there not be any upgrades for sale.

You can call a couple days out to see what is open. But there is no guarantee that it will be open when you check in. Someone could book at the last minute or the upgrade may be taken before you get to the counter. Or they may upgrade someone from a gty category to the room at the last minute. Either way you are still taking a chance that a room will be open.

kcashner
02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
You can get an idea--as above, by checking web sites (usually are closed 3 days before sailing) or by calling DCL and asking about upgrade prices in advance. However, as above, someone could choose to buy it before you get to the port. Someone could book an upgrade by phone in advance, or it/they could be sold to people doing back to back cruises (who are automatically the first people at the port).

There's no way to guarantee the availability of an upgrade at port, even if you are the first "new" guest in the terminal.

catzle
02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Cool thanks. We are happy with our Cat 9 Deck 2, but if we could upgrade to a veranda for a reasonable price we might consider it.

mindelmouse
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
We were told that there were no upgrades available when calling before our cruise and when we got to port, there were at least 2 that we knew about. I would take the chance at port, since upgrading ahead you are charged full price and at port it's usually cheaper