PDA

View Full Version : Hotel at airport or port on night before cruise? Hotel recommendations?

Stacey in MD
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi!

We are planning a trip on the Magic in December and are flying in the day before we leave. Is it better to get a hotel at the airport or near the port?

Also, does anyone have any hotel recommendations? I looked at the Hyatt at the airport, but since we have 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids), we would have to book 2 rooms. From what I saw that is going to be a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Stacey

lck33
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
We stayed at the Raddisson the night before and loved it.

Elsie

Sccrmnky2005
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
There is a few posts about the Country Inn and Suites and people getting deals on price line for that hotel. If you so a search for Country Inn and Suite it will show many different threads.

We booked CIS for next saturday night before our cruise. CAN'T WAIT!! To my understanding now the parking and the shuttle is free. And breakfast is included also.

Hope you get a good deal like many on the DIS boards have through price line

Oh and the rooms when booking through price line are the Kids Suites which have a queen bed and 3 twins in a different room (not really a room but a nook with walls just not all the way to the ceiling.

kcashner
02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Stacey:

The decision to stay in the MCO area or near the port is a personal one. If we are flying in the day before, late afternoon/early evening, I usually stay in the MCO area because it is less expensive than the port area and I don't like to drive at night. If I get there in the evening, I just want dinner and sleep!

I get a Priceline room or rooms at the 2.5* level. At this level, the rooms all include a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and a complimentary breakfast. Yes, unless one of your kids is a babe in a crib, you'll need 2 rooms. However, I typically get the room with a bid betwee $31 and $39, add about $10 for taxes and fees. SO, even with 2 rooms, you're under $100 for the night. Our recent stays have been at the Hyatt Place (not the Hyatt in MCO) and the Amerisuites. Both were lovely....free internet, pool, fitness center, etc. Good breakfasts both places. People have gotten the Hyatt in MCO for about $60 on Priceline, but that won't include breakfast. Generally, the shuttle drivers will take you to a dinner place for the cost of a tip if they aren't busy with airport runs, but all of the hotels we've gotten have been within walking distance of some dinner places.

Your cheapest way to the port will be a rental car or mini-van. You can find discount codes at rentalcodes.com and mousesavers.com. Again, I pay about $50 for a full size car, mini van was $46 one way, $92 the other way including all taxes and fees. A limo/towncar is more expensive, but a bit more convenient.

The Country Inn and Suites near the port also includes breakfast and shuttle to the port. On Priceline it is usually available for $49 + again, about $10 in taxes and fees. It's a lovely place, so it's really a matter of which works best for you.

Stacey in MD
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Both of these hotels sound great! Are they at the airport or the port?

Thanks again!

Stacey

Sccrmnky2005
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Both of these hotels sound great! Are they at the airport or the port?

Thanks again!

Stacey

The country inn and suites (cape canaveral) is about 5 minutes from the port. You can park your car there and take the shuttle to the port. I would suggest this hotel after your flight to FL. You can see the ships in the morning of your cruise. For me knowing I'm close to the port is better for me.

If you have never done price line it's pretty easy and there are many threads about it.If you have any more questions please ask.

ilovedevin
02-24-2010, 05:57 PM
We are staying at a Disney Resort, they shuttle you from the airport to the cruise then to the airport.

kcashner
02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
We are staying at a Disney Resort, they shuttle you from the airport to the cruise then to the airport.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, transportation on Magical Express from the airport to WDW is free. Transportation from the resort to the port and from the port to the airport costs $35 per person each way.

mobopolo
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Why do you need 2 rooms with 5 people? :confused: Most hotels offer a roll-away bed, for an extra charge. They will deliver it to your room. :thumbsup2 I would check into that option before I booked 2 rooms. :confused3 We are staying at the Hyatt in the Orlando airport and using Disney transportation. We felt it would be the simplest for our family. :)