PDA

View Full Version : Illness Outbreak on Celebrity

shenaniganzz
02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Anyone see this?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/02/23/caribbean.cruise.illness/index.html

I haven't heard that they employ the same tactics as Disney (sanitary wipes everywhere) but was grateful Disney did that! Even with that, a bunch of us got sick but majority of us it was a cold rather than gasterointestinal. I wonder what the compensation will be. I'd read the cruise ships don't normally offer compensation if you get quarantined, etc. so I wonder if it's the sheer number of people who got it that convinced them to offer it?

kcashner
02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
This is very common in schools, on ships, etc. The reporting requirements are different on cruise ships, where they must report to the CDC if 3% of their population becomes ill vs. a school that doesn't need to report unless 10% are absent.

DCL does everything it can--encouraging hand washing, hand wipes everywhere, etc. THe kids in the OC even get hand washing lessons! However, it's really up to each person to be as careful with hygiene as they can.

has
02-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I was very impressed with DLC handing out wipes as we re-boarded the ship and at meal time. Thank you Disney for doing such a great job!

Heidi

vvv
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Every single cruise line and pretty much every single ship uses hand sanitizers extensively.

We took our first cruise in 2000 (on NCL) and there were hand sanitizers everywhere on the ship and at the gangplank. Disney is simply following the industry standard.

In spite of these precautions, on pretty much every single cruise there are people who will get sick and sometimes a large percentage of the people on the ship get sick. It happens.

Wasn't there a thread on here a couple months ago about the Disney Wonder experiencing an outbreak on board?

katzs13
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
It was a shame that so many people got sick. I wonder what started it?

tigger137
02-24-2010, 03:00 PM
We went on a Celebrity cruise at Christmas/New Year. (Big mistake - sorry Mickey :guilty:)

One of the differences between Celebrity and DCL that we noticed was the lack of hand sanitizer wipes. Outside the restaurants there were hand sanitizer gel dispensers but there were no staff encouraging their use or handing out wipes. For the first couple of days most people entering the main dining room seemed to use the gel, but after that we were in the tiny minority who bothered. And we very rarely saw anyone use the dispensers outside the buffet restaurant.

We certainly think DCL's method of having staff present at the entrance to all restaurants offering the wipes is much more effective - people are far more likely to use them or the gel dispensers when staff are there encouraging them to do so, and when everyone around them is doing so too.

kaseyC
02-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Like a previous poster stated it is up to the individual person to be as careful as possible. I appreciate what DCL and other cruise lines do to help prevent the spread of Norovirus. They can only do so much, I'm amazed at the number of people who leave public restrooms without washing their hands on land as well as at sea. :sad2: These are the same folks who will touch the doors, elevator buttons, stair rails and so on.

kcashner
02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
The recent illnesses on the Wonder were reported by a Dis-er. They did not reach the level where reporting was required. All you can do is wash hands, use wipes, be careful with kids....DCL makes it as easy as possible, but it's still up to each individual to be careful. Keep your hands away from your face/mouth unless you just washed.

DCL does it's part with constant cleaning of elevators, stair rails, etc. Still, they can only do so much. The CMs live in terror of the "GI crud," (a CM's word, not mine) as they know it will mean 3 days of isolation.

shenaniganzz
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
^^To add to that, apparently the roomate of an affected person gets quarantined too. One of the entertainment staff (Louise or Louisa?) was in quarantine for 24 hours during the Castaway Cay debacle because her roomate had an illness.