PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 things to bring for your stateroom

Pages : [1] 2

Chicogirl
02-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Ok, we have all seen advice on what to bring, but what would your top 10 things to bring for your stateroom. With a family of four, I'm trying to keep my packing small. Or at least as small as I can that is..

js
02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok, we have all seen advice on what to bring, but what would your top 10 things to bring for your stateroom. With a family of four, I'm trying to keep my packing small. Or at least as small as I can that is..

I cruise often, although not on DCL.
If you are all staying together in your cabin (or even if you have connecting), one of MY top 10 is:

Over the door shoe hanger (clear).
You can put your brushes, sun tan lotion, medicines, toilitries, hair products, camera batteries, etc, ALL in the over the door hanger.
It makes the room much less cluttered and you can find everything.
I usually get connecting staterooms and my children also have one for their room.

I bring a refillable mug and smuggle alchol so that is another on my Top 10 :lmao:

NC_Tink
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
We too are a family of 4 and found that we really needed:

1. power strip - with all of the electronic gadgets we have this was an absolute need to recharge things!
2. over the door shoe organizer (esp. on 7 day - not so much on 4 day) - this helped keep things like sunblock, hairspray, medicines, deodorants, toothpaste & brushes, etc organized and off of the limited space on top of the sinks.
3. whiteboard - my oldest DS was able to come and go from Ocean Quest as he pleased and this helped us to inform him of where Mom and Dad were at any given time - also allowed him to leave us messages like "Mom - stopped by and you weren't here - gone to drink station to get a soda - be right back" :thumbsup2
4. Sunblock
5. Hairdryer - some will tell you that the one in the stateroom is fine - and for some it is - but I found that I really needed my "tornado" :lmao:
6. One of those pop-up type laundry hampers comes in handy when on a 7 day cruise - for the shorter cruises we just re-used plastic bags from the gift shops for our dirty laundry.

After that - things that aren't necessary - but we were happy to have (but we drove down to Port Canaveral which made this easy)
1. Beer
2. Wine
3. Bottled water

I can't think of anything else. :)

Chicogirl
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you , I'm doing a 7 day with two girls age's 9,12. So both will be with us. Other then the bathroom are there any other outlets? I'd like a place to plug in my ipod,and kindle.

NC_Tink
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Thank you , I'm doing a 7 day with two girls age's 9,12. So both will be with us. Other then the bathroom are there any other outlets? I'd like a place to plug in my ipod,and kindle.

There is an outlet at the desk area and one behind the TV - but you'd need an extension cord to really utilize that one. I packed an extension cord the last time we cruised as well - but found that I didn't use it. I had a 6 or 7 outlet power strip plugged in at the desk area. I found this was sufficient for all of the ipods, DSs, PSPs, etc. since we never had to charge everything at the same time :thumbsup2

MouseLovinMom
02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
There are outlets behind the TV (one of which has the TV plugged into it), and on the desk.

A couple things that we find really useful on our cruises...

ZipLoc bags in the larger sizes. They're great for keeping things dry and clean during excursions. I also toss all of my little keepsake thingies that I use for scrapbooking in one ZipLoc. We use the really large bags for laundry and for packing wet things from the last day. In a pinch the great big ones also make a great beach bag. Plus they're resuable and don't take up much space.

A small light up travel clock. The rooms are really dark and the clock in the room doesn't light up.

has
02-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Large mailing envelop for each day to keep all of the Personal Navigators and scrapbook keepsakes in. Kept everything from getting bent especially in the suitcase.

One kind of shampoo/conditioner/hairspray for all of us. Not much space in the bathrooms.

Small light up clock with alarm.

Lots of one dollar bills- but now Disney will charge your tips to your KTTWC.

Fruit snacks, granola bars, and other favorite snacks to enjoy on excursions.

Heidi

poohj80
02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
One kind of shampoo/conditioner/hairspray for all of us. Not much space in the bathrooms.

Why not just use the ones provided in your cabin to save even more room?

MassDisLovers
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I bring a refillable mug and smuggle alchol so that is another on my Top 10 :lmao:

No need to "smuggle" alcohol on DCL..... you are allowed to bring it on and to drink it at your discretion.

disneyfaninaz
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
The propeller clock in the staterooms does not illuminate. If you want to be able to see the time at night, bring a digital travel alarm clock.

outahere
02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
No need to "smuggle" alcohol on DCL..... you are allowed to bring it on and to drink it at your discretion.

True on DCL, but most other cruise lines will confiscate it if they spot it in your luggage. They xray everything going on the ship, so the odds are pretty good that they will find it.

One of the things we always bring is a small roll of masking tape. We use it to keep DW's contact lens cleaner from tipping over if the seas are rough. We also have used it to keep closet doors closed if the velcro strips aren't working as well as they should.

bibbidibobbidibecky
02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Lysol and a small fan to drown out the sound.

scrapycruiser
02-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Some other things we bring :

1.Lg Solo plastic cups
2. Very sm Brookstone iphone player for itunes music in cabin
3. Air Freshner for bathroom ( lysol, travel size )
4. Downey Wrinkle Release spray...really works.No ironing on my cruise !
5. mini bottles Tanquerey, lime, plastic knife, macadamia nuts
1st day I order diet cokes, H2o, and tonic H2O from room service ( I get diet cokes up on deck 9, but sometimes I like to have some in the room to save me a trip.

Leaving this Sat....hope the weathers ok !!:yay:

tvguy
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
In the minority here.
Nothing.
Stateroom had everything we needed.
Hair dryer was fine. Plugged the videocamera battery charger in the outlet behind the TV and the digital camera charger in the plug on the hair dryer.
Put dirty clothing in suitcases that we had stored under the bed.
All our shoes fit on the floor of the closet, put our toiletries on the shelves in the bathroom. All our clothing fit in the drawers or closet.

shenaniganzz
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't know if I can think of ten things! ;)

Ditto on the power strip.

Highlighter to keep track of which activities you really don't want to miss that day.

Hair dryer.

Clothespins to hang wet items on the clothesline in the bathroom.

If you have a child that uses a sippy cup or bottles or if you plan to bring an insulated cup - some dish soap!!! Our daughter still takes a bottle at bedtime. You can get a sterilizer at Guest Services but I still like to wash her bottles with soap. For the life of me, I couldn't get any soap! They won't bring it from the kitchen because their policy is "not to deliver chemicals to the staterooms" and I was told to use the very fragrant shampoo which left a strong, albeit pretty, residue/stench on her bottles. Maybe a dollar store carries a travel size?

Though I didn't for our first cruise, I will bring one of those pocket organizers next time. It'll save some shelf space for clothing as it's limited.

havaneselover
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
The best things we brought were a power strip and wheeled duffles that fit under the bed (although I understand you can have them store your luggage). We went from a Cat. 4 to a Cat 6 and because our luggage fit under the bed we felt like we had more room.

Chicogirl
02-24-2010, 01:56 PM

I did not know there is a clothsline in the bathroom, Cool..

Also highligter.. good idea.

stichlover87
02-24-2010, 03:30 PM
We usually try to bring candy and gum from home. I don't think you can buy gum on board. Also, if you want candy or a snack during the shows it can be expensive so you can just buy some cheap candy before you go.

poohj80
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
If you have a child that uses a sippy cup or bottles or if you plan to bring an insulated cup - some dish soap!!! Our daughter still takes a bottle at bedtime. You can get a sterilizer at Guest Services but I still like to wash her bottles with soap. For the life of me, I couldn't get any soap! They won't bring it from the kitchen because their policy is "not to deliver chemicals to the staterooms" and I was told to use the very fragrant shampoo which left a strong, albeit pretty, residue/stench on her bottles. Maybe a dollar store carries a travel size?

You might try Palmolive wipes as well.

shenaniganzz
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM

I did not know there is a clothsline in the bathroom, Cool..

Also highligter.. good idea.

Yep - in the shower. Handy to hang those wet suits on at the end of the day!

KSandbergFL
02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Lysol and a small fan to drown out the sound.

Lysol makes a sound? What are you doing with the Lysol anyway, that you'd need to drown out the sound? ;)

mmouse37
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
The best things we brought were a power strip and wheeled duffles that fit under the bed (although I understand you can have them store your luggage). We went from a Cat. 4 to a Cat 6 and because our luggage fit under the bed we felt like we had more room.

Just to clarify....some stateroom hosts MAY store your extra luggage for you but it is not the norm on DCL.

MJ

havaneselover
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Just to clarify....some stateroom hosts MAY store your extra luggage for you but it is not the norm on DCL.

MJ

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I'd read that somewhere. Anyway, luggage that fits under the bed is now a must for us.

shaylahc1
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Definitely bring an alarm clock. The only clock in the stateroom is an older style analog clock---no alarm! We overslept on departure day.

We noticed a lack of clocks in general so you'll want to bring a watch too.

tvguy
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I'd read that somewhere. Anyway, luggage that fits under the bed is now a must for us.

We have the largest hardsided luggage made and it fit under the bed no problem. You just have to lift the foot of the bed up to get the luggage under since the frame is much lower that the bottom of the mattress. So no need for special luggage.

tvguy
02-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Definitely bring an alarm clock. The only clock in the stateroom is an older style analog clock---no alarm! We overslept on departure day.

We noticed a lack of clocks in general so you'll want to bring a watch too.

Or just use the Mickey Mouse wake up call system on your stateroom phone.
I don't know how you could oversleep on departure day, they knocked on our door at 7 am 45 minutes before we planned to get up on departure day to "make sure we were up"

MissMet
02-24-2010, 07:39 PM
The usual...

power strip

alarm clock

wrist watch

magnetic dry erase board

wrist wallet/purse for evenings instead of a lanyard ruining my outfit :upsidedow

I don't bother with the clothespins though. I just string the clothesline through the swim suits' leg holes/arm holes. :thumbsup2

NewfieMom
02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
"I don't bother with the clothespins though. I just string the clothesline through the swim suits' leg holes/arm holes."

My response to that is "Duh!" (is there a smilie for smacking yourself on the head?)! We just used to drape the suits over the line, and hand some from the back of the door - your idea was too simple for me to think of :lmao:

I'll ditto the over the door shoe holder - there are lots of drawers/shelves, but it did take care of a lot of the clutter, and made things easy to find.

2gr8DisneyKids
02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
You might try Palmolive wipes as well.

Do they still make them? We have not been able to find them and I was just getting ready to dig for the post about drying soap into sponge squares. The palmolive cloths are great!

Where did you get them... we are up in Canada (but have been looking when we go to the US) and are pacing an order with WEGoShop for WDW and I can add them if they are sold in FL.

Thanks! :banana:

eva
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Totally agree on the Ziplock bags. I use them for so many things. I also bring disinfecting wipes to wipe down the room (remote, light switches, door handles, etc.). Those new Purex detergent plus softner sheets for laundry.

Side Note: We don't mind the hairdryer so much. At least not enough to bring one with us.

atm55
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know how you could oversleep on departure day, they knocked on our door at 7 am 45 minutes before we planned to get up on departure day to "make sure we were up"

That's what I was thinking - is there any reason why we can't use the wake up call on departure day. I read somewhere that you can't get it for departure day so I'm bringing my alarm clock.

atm55
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
"I don't bother with the clothespins though. I just string the clothesline through the swim suits' leg holes/arm holes."

My response to that is "Duh!" (is there a smilie for smacking yourself on the head?)! We just used to drape the suits over the line, and hand some from the back of the door - your idea was too simple for me to think of :lmao:

I'll ditto the over the door shoe holder - there are lots of drawers/shelves, but it did take care of a lot of the clutter, and made things easy to find.

I didn't think of that either - good suggestion. I had no intentions of bringing clothespins - too much other stuff to pack.

atm55
02-24-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm not bringing wipes, just Lysol to spray. I'm on vacation - Not planning on cleaning!

MissMet
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM

I didn't think of that either - good suggestion. I had no intentions of bringing clothespins - too much other stuff to pack.

:laughing: Thanks. I've spent A LOT of time in hotel rooms. :rolleyes:

Doingitagain
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Definitely an outlet strip to charge devices.

A watch (especially for DD and DS, they are used to using cellphones for time, but no cell phones on the ship!).

Highlighters for the Navigator activities (one color per person).

Illuminated clock (we hide theirs in the closet under things, it is too noisy!)

Whiteboard and markers.

Tide Pen/Shout Wipes.

Wrinkle Release Spray.

Ziploc Bags.

poohbear luvs grumpy
02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I like to bring a travel size febreeze. It really helps with the kids clothes if I want them to be able to pack a little lighter and re-wear a few pieces.

TraciM
02-24-2010, 10:40 PM

For some reason it was down on my trip. Either my cabin or all. The alarm clock was good back-up.

Gigi22
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
A good corkscrew, in case of any passing bottles of wine that may need to be opened!

KrisannB
02-25-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't know if I can think of ten things! ;)

Ditto on the power strip.

Highlighter to keep track of which activities you really don't want to miss that day.

Hair dryer.

Though I didn't for our first cruise, I will bring one of those pocket organizers next time. It'll save some shelf space for clothing as it's limited.

I am just using a small travel size shampoo bottle type to put some dish detergent into to bring along from my big bottle in my kitchen, much cheaper :)

Krisann

szubieta
02-25-2010, 01:12 AM
- Plug in candle
- Orange bath spray
- coffee / travel mug
- Highlighter
- Window / mirror decals
- magnets for door & walls
- post-its (they pack better then a white board for us)
- plastic hangers w/clips on each end for wet things (you can put way more on the clothes line)
- bring a small sling purse for around the deck (carry a camera everywhere) :thumbsup2
- small hanging storage with pockets for the bathroom
&
- bring a smile...be ready to relax and be flexible

Seaurchinzz
02-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Always bring Ziplock bags

Baseball-Mom
02-25-2010, 08:30 AM
A very small flashlight is a good thing to bring too. Since it is really dark in the rooms its a good thing to have for those middle of the night trips to the bathroom. Or you can bring a plug in nightlight. If you have teenagers that come in after you're already asleep one of those smalll flashlights that they can hang on their lanyard is a good thing to have so when they come back to the room they don't fumble around in the dark.
In place of an alarm clock we use the wake up call system and we also set the alarm on our cell phone. Even though we don't make any calls on our phones they come in handy to use the alarm, take a quick picture, or just flip it open for light in place of a flashlight.Teenagers also use their cell phones to add the names,e-mail address and phone numbers of their new friends.

cakesnjammom
02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
brought a little desk top fan 16 in. size I think and we were so thankful for it!! also a power strip or extension cord! the over the door shoe holder is a life saver!!:thumbsup2

poohs4me
02-25-2010, 09:19 AM
We always bring a couple of lysol travel size cans and lysol wipes of some kind. I have always given the room a quick spray down on the first day. If nothing else, it makes me feel better.

We also always bring a pop-up laundry hamper.

Ziplocs

eva
02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not bringing wipes, just Lysol to spray. I'm on vacation - Not planning on cleaning!

I completely understand. But I do have a bit of a cleaning fetish. DH calls me Monica. I even keep Clorox Wipes in a ziplock bag in my purse and wipe down tables at restaurants, etc. Thank goodness DH is a good sport about it. He knows that the first 15 or 20 minutes of entering a room will be dedicated to giving it a good wipe down. At least I don't expect him to help.

A good corkscrew, in case of any passing bottles of wine that may need to be opened!

If you ask your room steward or call room service they will provide you one.

tea for girls
02-25-2010, 10:10 AM
After reading all these tips I just had a great idea for our 14 day Trans-Atlantic. I am trying to really cut back on what we pack so we won't have to pay a fortune to the airlines for luggage- I am going to take a couple of those Ziplock XXL Big Bags and use them to pack our clothes in and compress the air out to make it ?smaller in our suitcase. Then I am going to use those bags to take our dirty laundry to the washer/dryer area, and maybe use them again to put all of our towels/junk in on excursions.
If anyone has any other ideas on how to pack light please let me know. The airlines have taken the fun out of packing.

Rogillio
02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I've enjoyed reading all the ideas and suggestions but I'm with TVGuy, I bring nothing! My wife OTOH is a little more high maitenance and will bring a fan and clothes pin to pin the curtins shut etc.

My thinking about packing for vaction is, pack cothes and camera and if we need anything else, we can buy it in the gift shop or one of the ports.

~Mike

Señor DonDuck
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Just want to say a big thanks to everyone for providing such helpful feedback!

tecdavidt
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Extension cord for DH computer.
My own hair dryer, didn't like one provided.
My travel make up mirror.
Zip Lock bags in three sizes.
Cheap wire hangers because we just never seem to have enough.
Altoids, DH loves them and last cruise I know they didn't have them.
Alarm clock.

eva
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Cheap wire hangers because we just never seem to have enough.

I agree that there are never enough. But we have always asked for more with no problems.

UncleLarry
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
We don't have a Laptop or one of those plug in chargers for ipods. Do the rooms have ipod docks like some hotels (I know the Hyatt at the airport has them) ? I have a smallish dock, but would rather not bring it if I don't have to.

poohj80
02-25-2010, 10:56 PM
We don't have a Laptop or one of those plug in chargers for ipods. Do the rooms have ipod docks like some hotels (I know the Hyatt at the airport has them) ? I have a smallish dock, but would rather not bring it if I don't have to.

No, the cabins do not have an iHome or anything like it. Suggest investing in a wall plug converter for your USB charger.

Doingitagain
02-25-2010, 10:59 PM

They discourage electrical on the ship. The clocks are battery operated, there are few outlets. We have even had form letters left in our room if we left things plugged in when we left the stateroom.

Tomatoface
02-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Highly recommend that you bring a few of those suction hooks to hang your lanyards with the KTTW cards on. We were constantly searching for my kid's cards until we started using the hooks.

szubieta
02-26-2010, 12:28 AM
I am going to take a couple of those Ziplock XXL Big Bags and use them to pack our clothes in and compress the air out to make it ?smaller in our suitcase. Then I am going to use those bags to take our dirty laundry to the washer/dryer area, and maybe use them again to put all of our towels/junk in on excursions.
If anyone has any other ideas on how to pack light please let me know.

Zip-locks and the small vac bags work great, but they can get very heavy. I have also used my beach bag as a carry-on for the flights too. Lots of room and you can have a suit ready with you get on board. ;)

Morty Fieldmouse
02-26-2010, 12:59 AM
No, the cabins do not have an iHome or anything like it. Suggest investing in a wall plug converter for your USB charger.

The Dream will have an iPod dock in each cabin!

TheHippie524
02-26-2010, 03:12 AM
The Dream will have an iPod dock in each cabin!

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!
:banana::banana::banana:

leelip1982
02-26-2010, 03:35 AM
The little travel size shampoo bottles dont hold enough for me. So instead of the full size bottles i put the soaps in to .9oz water bottle which is bigger than travel bottle but not big and bulky either.

leelip1982
02-26-2010, 03:36 AM
power strip and file clip for the curtains

revrob
02-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Highly recommend that you bring a few of those suction hooks to hang your lanyards with the KTTW cards on. We were constantly searching for my kid's cards until we started using the hooks.

I've seen a couple of references to lanyards - is this something that is given to you when you check in? Or is it something that everyone just finds helpful? Do you buy it on the ship? Take it with you?

disneyfaninaz
02-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I've seen a couple of references to lanyards - is this something that is given to you when you check in? Or is it something that everyone just finds helpful? Do you buy it on the ship? Take it with you?

If you are a Castaway Club member, you will get lanyards at check in. If it's your first cruise, you could buy some. They are very handy to put your KTTW card in, put pins one, carry your DL in, etc. while you are on board.

Also, I found Mickey magnetic clips from WDW and used those on the back of our door to hang our lanyards from. That way, we never forgot to leave the room without them.

revrob
02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
If you are a Castaway Club member, you will get lanyards at check in. If it's your first cruise, you could buy some. They are very handy to put your KTTW card in, put pins one, carry your DL in, etc. while you are on board.

Also, I found Mickey magnetic clips from WDW and used those on the back of our door to hang our lanyards from. That way, we never forgot to leave the room without them.

that's good to know! Thanks! Three of us are Castaway Club members, but our daughter is not. However, she is only 6, so I don't know that she'll need one? I may pick one up for her for pins anyway.

Chaosfilms
02-26-2010, 07:16 PM
We're going on our first cruise :sail: and my wife and I are searching the boards for tip and tricks. Thanks for the great suggestions. My wife just bought some travel space bags for the clothes, as we'll be flying in from CA. (Magic -12/4/10) 2 adults, 2 kids. A checked bag for each and a carry on. Hopefully we have enough room, as we love our electronic devices. :banana:

Steve
:cool2:

marbet
02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Our friends in our group earlier this month brought walkie talkies. It was a great way to find each other, esp if you have teenagers with you

Extra batteries for the walkie talkies, cameras, etc. Extra media cards for your camera. Tylenol, tums, benadryl, clariton, etc. Next time I'm bringing lotion for my DD as she has sensitive skin, she broke out in a skin rash due to whatever they use in the pool.

Tide To Go pen, highlighter, pop up hamper for dirty clothes, over the door hanger for toiletries and other items, dry erase board, travel alarm clock, small flash light, wrinkle release spray, large envelope for keepsakes and receipts. I also brought one of those car deodorizers that you hang from the rearview mirror and hung it in the bathroom.

Orlando Momma
02-27-2010, 12:27 AM
waterproof lanyards for excursions. Disney toys that were wrapped at home to give the kids when they are begging for toys from the gift shop (50% savings!) bottled water

tmbacon
02-27-2010, 01:02 AM

The lanyards aren't given to you when you check in, but you can buy them at the port or in the shops once the ship departs (apparently the ones on the ship are better :) ). You can always bring your own, too. We haven't used one before, but it seems like a practical thing to have on a cruise so you don't lose your KTTW. So, we're going to give it a whirl!

Bookwood
02-27-2010, 06:31 AM
that's good to know! Thanks! Three of us are Castaway Club members, but our daughter is not. However, she is only 6, so I don't know that she'll need one? I may pick one up for her for pins anyway.

On my first (and only so far) Disney cruise I was the only non-Castaway Cay club member in our cabin and we all recieved lanyards when we checked in.

enchanted72
02-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Not reading anyone else's just gonna post since it is so fresh in my brain. We cruised 5 weeks ago on our 3rd DCL. It was by far our most planned out cruise and I forgot a vital bag. :headache: and truly it was vital. All stuff we had cruised with before and desperately missed this time around.

1. over the door bag to collect misc items and hold sunglasses, keys etc.

2. powerstrip to plug in phones, iPods, camera, DS's

3. magnets (not necessarily personalized ones) to mark our door...they really do look the same, even when you are paying attention. :rolleyes1

4. pirate accessories (eye patches, bandanas from previous cruises) they add to the fun in a big way.

5. My personal favorite: SHOES! Yep, I only had heels for dinner and the shoes on my feet. The "vital bag" was a conglomeration of all of the above plus some odds and ends AND my shoes for the trip. We decided at the last minute (literally at 4pm the day before) to book a room by the airport as our flight out was super early...so I threw all these things off of my list into "the vital bag" BUT did not note on my list that there was now 6 total bags traveling with us to the hotel. So, DH says is this all (5 bags) and I check my list and it says 5 bags and I say yep. :headache: My plan was to repack those last few things into our 4 pieces of luggage once we got to the hotel. yep, get to the hotel that is 2 hours from our home and realize I don't have that stuff...BUT never occured to me that I didn't have my shoes since I had already packed everyone else's shoes into the bags! THAT was discovered when I went to change shoes in Orlando!!!! :scared1: SO, I had to buy a couple of pair of shoes since well black satin heels don't exactly work at the MK, nor do black 3inch high wedge sandals for 8 days of walking. :laughing: That was an expensive mistake. :thumbsup2

HappyPeach
02-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I was just on the Magic last week.

Power strip

hair dryer (there's one in the bathroom but it's not good. If you just want your hair dry, then it's fine. If you want to be able to style your hair using a dryer, then bring your own. )

pair of scissors / roll of tape / pen / highlighter / folder or envelope to corral papers. A couple of strong fridge magnets are handy too; you can use them on the back of your cabin door for messages or for holding navigators / papers.

zip-loc bags

I agree with a hanging toiletry organizer... there is a single "knob" on the back of each bathroom door where you can hang it.

mesh laundry bag or tote bag for dirty laundry

I do think it's a good idea to put a magnet on your door to "mark" it especially if you're with kids. You don't have to go crazy making anything... I used an 89c magnetic photo sleeve from the drugstore. It helps.

If you're doing connecting rooms, bring small bungee cords. We didn't and really regretted it -- those doors will not prop open!

MintJulep
02-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I was at our local Target store yesterday and I found a travel clock for $2.50 in the dollar area right when you walk in the door.

It is a Time/Alarm Clock/Timer/Temperature that runs on 3 AAA batteries. It will light up when you touch it.

jimmyc17
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Great idea.

Luckymomoftwo
02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
After reading all these tips I just had a great idea for our 14 day Trans-Atlantic. I am trying to really cut back on what we pack so we won't have to pay a fortune to the airlines for luggage- I am going to take a couple of those Ziplock XXL Big Bags and use them to pack our clothes in and compress the air out to make it ?smaller in our suitcase. Then I am going to use those bags to take our dirty laundry to the washer/dryer area, and maybe use them again to put all of our towels/junk in on excursions.
If anyone has any other ideas on how to pack light please let me know. The airlines have taken the fun out of packing.

That's a great idea! But, just be careful that you don't go over your weight limit on your luggage. Packing clothes in bags and sucking the air out of them give so much room, but it still weighs the same as if it's not compressed.

All of the things I could think of that are "Must haves" have already been mentioned.

BoardwalkBabe
02-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Some of my "must haves:"

extension cord

my own hair dryer

travel clock

travel sizes of OTC meds just in case

hand wipes

waterproof watch

binoculars

laundry bags

small notebook and pen

address labels written out for sending post cards

our address labels to put on the return luggage tags (saves you from having to write out your name and address on each one for disembarkation)

wrennies
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Just "bumping" to hopefully get some new ideas!

SwimMama
03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Great ideas :yay: Thanks!

aurorafan65
03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
lots of great ideas! love the clothes line through the swimsuit one!

we bring an extention cord
hi-lighter - dh goes through the compas in pain-staking detail!
i-pod speakers - we use the alarm clock feature on the ipod
downey wrinkle stuff
shout wipes
the purex laundry things
& our newest addition captain morgan - never realized we could bring it on board

I haven't seen the palmolive wipes either & where do you guys find travel size febreeze, I couldn't find it last time we traveled.

aurorafan65
03-05-2010, 09:43 PM
someone mentioned walkie -talkies we tried them once & had a horrible time with them, we could never find a clear channel since so many families had them too

truck1
03-05-2010, 11:03 PM
someone mentioned walkie -talkies we tried them once & had a horrible time with them, we could never find a clear channel since so many families had them too

Part of the problem is the material ths ship is made out of. Its mostly steel and steel is notorious for poor reception with line of sight type radios.The only way to get around it would be if Disney installed repeaters through out the ship to "boost" the signal.
The fact that a lot of other families have the same idea, doesnt help either.

They discourage electrical on the ship. The clocks are battery operated, there are few outlets. We have even had form letters left in our room if we left things plugged in when we left the stateroom.

I havent had that problem yet, though I have seen posted recently, that if you bring a power strip, call guest services, and theyll have a ships engineer come look at it and give it an ok.Im assuming that the ones that are surge protectors, and have built in resetable fuses, should be ok.Its the ones that would normally draw too much power that they would have an issue with.We brought a 3 position travel power strip with us last cruise, left it plugged in the whole time and never had any one say anything.

Something I havent seen mentioned is small zip ties, and multiple pieces of paper with my name adress,room and telephone number on it.The zip ties I use to zip tie the zippers on our luggage closed in case its accidentally opened, and also keeps the honest people honest.Ill also mark the luggage tags, 1 of however many so the porters can help find them easier.

The paper with our names on it, I place INSIDE my lugggage,in 2 or 3 places so that if the tags on the outside come off, someone can still ID my bags.

A small backpack for excursions, for souveniers,water bottles etc.

Someway to back up any photos you take.Ive heard people bring multiple cards, or thumb drives, but I prefer an external hard drive. Ill download and charge my cameras nightly, in 2 different places, jic.Ill delete one set when I get home.

We traveled with a couple and their son 2 years ago that went to create space on an almost full memory card, and erased everything accidentally. From the pics of their house with mold in it for the insurance company to the pics from the cruise and WDW the week before hand.

truck1
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen the palmolive wipes either & where do you guys find travel size febreeze, I couldn't find it last time we traveled.

Weve found the travel/trial size febreeze in Walmart with the rest of the travel sized items.

dylan'smom
03-06-2010, 02:07 AM
In the minority here.
Nothing.
Hair dryer was fine. Plugged the videocamera battery charger in the outlet behind the TV and the digital camera charger in the plug on the hair dryer.
All our shoes fit on the floor of the closet, put our toiletries on the shelves in the bathroom. All our clothing fit in the drawers or closet.

I'm with you! When we first cruised in 2001, I pretty much took our whole household with us...:sad2:

Now I find I don't really need all of those things... a little sunscreen & wine & we're set! Helps that DS is now 18, but I don't need the over the door shoe holder anymore either. Traveling lighter & it feels great. Well...except for the shoes!! Haven't gotten over that one... LOL

:rotfl:

bev

Davids-Coco
03-06-2010, 02:37 AM

I recently was pointed to minimus.biz. You might want to try there if you can't find it locally.

golfcane
03-06-2010, 08:33 AM
I agree with the list so far. I would add cheap beach toys if you have younger kids. And a beach/pool bag for bringing books/magazines, sunscreen with you. We also bring a zip lock bag with medicines we may need and may not be able to get.

aurorafan65
03-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Weve found the travel/trial size febreeze in Walmart with the rest of the travel sized items.
thx - probably the only place I didn't look ;)

atm55
03-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I didn't think I would need the over the door shoe organizer since it was only me and my granddaugher travelling. I was very wrong. There is hardly any room to store items in the bathroom - or at least not in mine. Handicapped room. Other cruise lines have shelves to store your toothpaste, moisturizers, etc. Not on Disney. The alarm clock was a very good suggestion.

aurorafan65
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I recently was pointed to minimus.biz. You might want to try there if you can't find it locally.

thx - I look it up

preedymtnwest
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Something I havent seen mentioned is small zip ties, and multiple pieces of paper with my name adress,room and telephone number on it.The zip ties I use to zip tie the zippers on our luggage closed in case its accidentally opened, and also keeps the honest people honest.Ill also mark the luggage tags, 1 of however many so the porters can help find them easier.

Something I read on the DISboards before my first cruise in FEB09 was to bring a sheet of return address labels - easier than writing your info on the luggage tags they bring you! Good idea to put "1 of XX" though, too! :thumbsup2

mommyofthreeboys
03-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Oh my! Thanks for that site!!! Just found everything I needed for my cruise!!! Plus free shipping for orders over $20. :thumbsup2

kikids
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks to whomever suggested suction cup hangers for sticking onto the verandah glass so swimsuits could dry. They were the smartest thing I brought.

Davids-Coco
03-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh my! Thanks for that site!!! Just found everything I needed for my cruise!!! Plus free shipping for orders over $20. :thumbsup2
Us moms of boys need to stick together ;)

In all seriousness, I found a ton of stuff cheaper than at target when comparing.

Chicogirl
04-09-2010, 11:23 PM
bump

BLTOH
04-10-2010, 10:58 AM
our must haves

collapsable laundry hampers ( we usually bring two one for whites, one for darks) we use these at home as well so we just bring what we use at home since they are the travel version.

laundry detergent and dryer sheets ( bringing the purex combo sheets this coming cruise) we always end up doing laundry at least once on the ship

small first aid kit including excederin, allergy meds, tums or rolaids, handfull of bandaids, seasick bands, neosporin, aloe gel for sunburns, fingernail clippers,samll pair of scissors. i also used to do a kids version when the kids were younger with stuff for their ages. may be an odd thing to pack but it has came in handy more times then meets the eye on our trips.

a large softsided folder and 3 ring binder with cardboard inserts for papers and pictures. it keeps them from getting all bent up on the trip home since we pack them in our checked luggage.

our own conditioner as both me and daughter have long hair and get tangles big time with the water changes.:scared1: we learned the hard way last cruise and ended up buying an expensive bottle from the gift shop for us as the stuff they had just wasn't enough.

walkie talkies ( we use ours in ports as well when we are shopping)

lighted clock

didn't do the power strip the first cruise but concidering it this time around since DD will have her didj with her

i am sure there will be other stuff i take but haven't started my packing list on paper yet. :laughing:

Angelhalo
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
In no particular order.........

Lighted alarm clock

Some sort of hanging organizer

Band-aids

camera w/charger

hand sanitizer

clothespins

sunscreen

Full size Beach Towel (we don't like the small ones they hand out)

alcoholic beverages

Soft-sided rolling cooler

There are obviously wayyyy more things than this that we take but these are biggies :goodvibes

chickflick
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I definetly need to remember the binoculars & Purex sheets!

sharen24
04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember to pack shorts and flip flops for DH!!!! Last November I insisted on doing ALL the packing because DH waits until the last minute. I forgot to pack any shorts or flip flops for him so he had to wear his "Wilderness Lodge" shorts all week. Thank goodness for hotel gift shops!

My other necessities are: night light, hanging shelves, power strip, digital alarm clock, beach bag/back pack for excursions, and my KINDLE!!!

pluto1979
04-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I would bring a highliter to markup my Navigator of the things I want to do. I do not like the idea of a board of the door to say where you are just for safety sake.
2. Febreeze
3. Singles (bills)
4. Wetnaps
5. Lintroller
6. Large baggies for wet clothing if they do not dry in time when you depart the ship
7. A night lite if needed for children
8. Purell - even though they have it all over the ship its nice to have it in the room as well
9. Small sandwich bags to take things off the boat while at port
10. Reusable water bottles

Hope this helps and have a Magical Cruise!

wld4mky
04-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Great Ideas-- not sure if someone has said this already :confused3
I also like to bring a disposable underwater camera.:thumbsup2

shannonetherton
04-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I totally agree with all of those things!! ONe of the best things we have had was a tiny little digital watch that clipped on to our lanyards. It is like the face of a watch without the band. We received two of them as FE gifts and they are wonderful. No watch or phone needed and I always have a lanyard on anyway so it is right there with me!! It was a great idea!

Doingitagain
04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I totally agree with all of those things!! ONe of the best things we have had was a tiny little digital watch that clipped on to our lanyards. It is like the face of a watch without the band. We received two of them as FE gifts and they are wonderful. No watch or phone needed and I always have a lanyard on anyway so it is right there with me!! It was a great idea!

This does sound like a great idea! Do you have a brand name or something I can use to research how to get them?

Cptjackandcrew
04-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I would suggest a Bengay type cream. We walked the Rock of Gibraltar the entire day in 2007 and I was so stiff the next day.

TwingleMum
04-17-2010, 12:43 AM
:worship: Thanks for all the great tips. A newbie like me very much appreciates it.

Chicogirl
05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Bump:love:

Chicogirl
09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Bump...Thought this tread my help others.:hippie:

kgoldenh
09-10-2010, 12:05 PM
thanks for all the great ideas.

cmclaura
09-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I always pack a cardboard photo mailer as it's lightweight, nice and flat, yet holds photos and Navigators so they don't get creased in my luggage going back home.

Princessandthemommy
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I have not set sail yet (16 more days) but a few things I have purchased for our trip

1. Motion Sickness arm bands (sea bands i think they are called) just in case
2. Small First Aid kit, Advil
3. A Fanny Pack for DD3
4. Light weight jacket
5. Hand sanitizer
6. Small note book- to jot down others contact info, that you might meet
7. I made some business cards with my name facebook page and email, if I want to keep in touch with someone I meet on board.(you can design them yourself or order from Vista print- pretty cheap)
8. Baby wipes
9. Wrinkle releaser spray
10. Stamps for post cards (and address of everyone you want to send a post card to)
11. Extra memory card for your digital camera.
12. One last thing, for my DD3 I picked up some Zoopals reusable/disposable sippy cups (2.35 at Target and Zoopals "fun-utensils. It is a box of child size forks,spoons, knives and spreaders 24 disposable pieces only $1.00 at Big Lots. (sometimes when we go out to eat the restaurant forks are just to big for little hands.

Hedy
09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
True on DCL, but most other cruise lines will confiscate it if they spot it in your luggage. They xray everything going on the ship, so the odds are pretty good that they will find it.

One of the things we always bring is a small roll of masking tape. We use it to keep DW's contact lens cleaner from tipping over if the seas are rough. We also have used it to keep closet doors closed if the velcro strips aren't working as well as they should.
This is brilliant, I hadn't heard of it before, but it makes utter sense.
I am just using a small travel size shampoo bottle type to put some dish detergent into to bring along from my big bottle in my kitchen, much cheaper :)

Krisann
Adding to list
Part of the problem is the material ths ship is made out of. Its mostly steel and steel is notorious for poor reception with line of sight type radios.The only way to get around it would be if Disney installed repeaters through out the ship to "boost" the signal.
The fact that a lot of other families have the same idea, doesnt help either.

I havent had that problem yet, though I have seen posted recently, that if you bring a power strip, call guest services, and theyll have a ships engineer come look at it and give it an ok.Im assuming that the ones that are surge protectors, and have built in resetable fuses, should be ok.Its the ones that would normally draw too much power that they would have an issue with.We brought a 3 position travel power strip with us last cruise, left it plugged in the whole time and never had any one say anything.

The paper with our names on it, I place INSIDE my lugggage,in 2 or 3 places so that if the tags on the outside come off, someone can still ID my bags.

A small backpack for excursions, for souveniers,water bottles etc.

Someway to back up any photos you take.Ive heard people bring multiple cards, or thumb drives, but I prefer an external hard drive. Ill download and charge my cameras nightly, in 2 different places, jic.Ill delete one set when I get home.

We traveled with a couple and their son 2 years ago that went to create space on an almost full memory card, and erased everything accidentally. From the pics of their house with mold in it for the insurance company to the pics from the cruise and WDW the week before hand.
Do you have a hard drive you can just pop your memory card in?

HashHoney
09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
These are all great tips! :thumbsup2 We're going on our first cruise in February, so they are much appreciated.

:banana::banana::banana: Subscribing. :banana::banana::banana:

truck1
09-10-2010, 04:03 PM
This is brilliant, I hadn't heard of it before, but it makes utter sense.

Adding to list

Do you have a hard drive you can just pop your memory card in?

I have a 1 terra byte external hard drive that plugs into my laptop. Ill download all of my cameras to both my laptop and the hard drive, then delete 1 set when I get home. Ive seen smaller ones, that serve a similar function also. Ive also seen what you are describing where I put a card into a reader, and plug it into a computer.Any of the above will work, as well as burning a cd. The one thing I have found, when using a thumb drive, is that they can get lost very easily.

erbrhenderson
09-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all of the great tips!! This newbie is soaking it all up!

heatherwillmom
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I have a 1 terra byte external hard drive that plugs into my laptop. Ill download all of my cameras to both my laptop and the hard drive, then delete 1 set when I get home. Ive seen smaller ones, that serve a similar function also. Ive also seen what you are describing where I put a card into a reader, and plug it into a computer.Any of the above will work, as well as burning a cd. The one thing I have found, when using a thumb drive, is that they can get lost very easily.

Is this easier than burning a CD which is what I usually do? I don't have an external hard drive but I do have a lot of thumb drives.

Bekkilin
09-11-2010, 05:19 PM
When we travel (2 adults, 2 small kids - 7 and 4) I pack a 1/2 week's worth of clothes and wash it mid-trip for round 2 to save space. This also greatly reduces my need for matching shoes, bags, etc for "dozens of outfits." We get by with a lot less.

I also pack acrylic wine glasses (we got some great Mickey ones at the Poly last year while on our Land & Sea.) I prefer a stemmed wine glass over the stateroom "juice glasses" when having some wine. And beacuse they were acrylic, I didn't worry about them breaking. I also pack dish detergent (in a small travel container) for washing said wine glasses and sippy cups.

Last time we had an umbrella stroller for the first leg of our trip for the parks and it never left our closet while on board. The ship just wasn't THAT big.

I forgot to pack a "beach bag" and had to buy one at the Poly before the bus picked us up. All we had were two suitcases and a backpack and I thought rolling out a suitcase might be ridiculous on the beach at Castaway Cay!:rotfl2:

When we go back, I will also bring a bag lock for the beach so we can secure our bag to the beach chair. I would feel better about turning my back on our things when the family hits the water.

truck1
09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Is this easier than burning a CD which is what I usually do? I don't have an external hard drive but I do have a lot of thumb drives.

For me it is. What I do is at the end of the night, before I go to bed, Ill plug in my hd, and my camerainto my laptop. Both will have a window pop up. Ill simply select all of the pics from the camera, then drag them to the hd, and a folder on my desktop, unplug the hd and delete the camera memory,and Im done. Takes maybe 3 minutes. At most.What takes me the most time is my digital camcorder, since it can hold up to 250 gb of video.(s)

Cindi0511
09-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Big black binder clips can serve dual purposes: holding curtains closed and holding adjoining room doors open. You open the door and slide the clip into the opening where the hinge at the top is. We bought something called Wedge-Its the last time, and they were perfect. Here's a link: http://www.wedgeit.com/index.htm

jsolar
09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
The only thing I needed was Ziploc bags.
I used them for wet things, or to put cookies or other snacks to bring during
excursions.
As far as over the door shoe hanger, extension cords, shampoo, etc.
everything provided was great.
I am a family of 4. The first cruise my son was in diapers. Even bringing a weeks worth of diapers we still had plenty of room.
The H20 hair products they provide were perfect!!
Have a great time!

lds0191
09-12-2010, 06:23 AM

We hang our lanyards around one of the lights above the desk as soon as we enter the cabin (the way they are made it is not a fire hazard). After spending a good part of our 1st cruise on a lanyard hunt, found this solution worked great.

Goofy&Sleepy
09-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Is there a consolidated list anywhere? This will be our first cruise (w/kids) & I don't want to miss anything! This is great! Thanks to all!

mindy327
09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember to pack shorts and flip flops for DH!!!! Last November I insisted on doing ALL the packing because DH waits until the last minute. I forgot to pack any shorts or flip flops for him so he had to wear his "Wilderness Lodge" shorts all week. Thank goodness for hotel gift shops!

My other necessities are: night light, hanging shelves, power strip, digital alarm clock, beach bag/back pack for excursions, and my KINDLE!!!

Oh my. This is why DH will NOT let me pack for him. He is very Pet Peve about this. I can pack the kids myself and the dog, but not him. He will wait until the last minute, I mean night before, to pack and it drives me crazy!!! Ughh. I wish he would just trust me.

DLBDS
09-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Is there a consolidated list anywhere? This will be our first cruise (w/kids) & I don't want to miss anything! This is great! Thanks to all!

:thumbsup2 I found this awhile back....

http://homepage.mac.com/momme30/Excel/FileSharing19.html

yashasvi
09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
This is our first cruise and I am planning to bring my laptop with me. My question is how safe is it to bring the laptop, and how secure is it in the stateroom if we leave it (can we leave it) there?

Thanks!!!

Y's Dad

Robin"D"
09-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Our List: (Some are duplicate from others)
1) A small fan, for white noise, and to help circulate the cool air (with extension cord)
2) Power strip
3) Over the door shoe hanger/great out of the way storage
4) “POP~OPEN hamper/ either for dirty laundry or great storage, folds flat
5) Purex 3-1 Laundry sheets
6) Soft sided cooler
7) Travel alarm clock w/light
8) Around $20 in $1 bills for room service tips
9) Plastic disposable hangers/ the kind that department stores use, you can hang more clothes in the closet /storage. If the break oh well, I ask for 10-15 from Wal-Mart, and they gave them to me, when you leave the ship, just leave them for the next cruisers
10) Portable DVD player/with cords to hook into the TV for that down time with movies/cartoons (Disney of course) for all

Hope this helps

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

PS...I bring my lap top on every cruise to down load my pics daily, it is very safe. you could buy a lock for about $20

mark_bert
09-15-2010, 10:08 AM

I believe the Disney website stated that the Magic will have iPod docks in every stateroom. :thumbsup2

mark_bert
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Oh my. This is why DH will NOT let me pack for him. He is very Pet Peve about this. I can pack the kids myself and the dog, but not him. He will wait until the last minute, I mean night before, to pack and it drives me crazy!!! Ughh. I wish he would just trust me.

Well, Sharen's husband trusted her... And look where it got him! :rolleyes1

erbrhenderson
09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Our List: (Some are duplicate from others)
1) A small fan, for white noise, and to help circulate the cool air (with extension cord)
2) Power strip
3) Over the door shoe hanger/great out of the way storage
4) “POP~OPEN hamper/ either for dirty laundry or great storage, folds flat
5) Purex 3-1 Laundry sheets
6) Soft sided cooler
7) Travel alarm clock w/light
8) Around $20 in $1 bills for room service tips
9) Plastic disposable hangers/ the kind that department stores use, you can hang more clothes in the closet /storage. If the break oh well, I ask for 10-15 from Wal-Mart, and they gave them to me, when you leave the ship, just leave them for the next cruisers
10) Portable DVD player/with cords to hook into the TV for that down time with movies/cartoons (Disney of course) for all

Hope this helps

PS...I bring my lap top on every cruise to down load my pics daily, it is very safe. you could buy a lock for about $20

Just wondering what kind of lock you use and what you lock it in. It's our first cruise and I am trying to decide if I should bring a lap top or not.

jenvin
09-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Great thread, adding them all to my already long list :goodvibes

This helps a lot, less thinking for me to do!

Re: packing for DH - mine lets me make the list (and i put the quantity beside it) but then he has to follow it and choose what he wants to bring, then he checks them off the list, throws it all in a laundry basket, then I pack them. My kids do that too, every vacation they ask me for the list. It's remembering what to put on the list that is most of the work, although now I have a standard template to follow (excel spreadsheet, list of items on the first column with each person's name on the top columns and quantity underneath).

This time I'm planning to only bring my iPad to store pics. I have to test it out, and if I can connect it to an external hard drive I will bring that too. I usually bring my laptop but it has a short battery life and I need something to play movies on the long flight there for the kids (and I don't want to bring all our electronics, we'll have so many already as it is). Plus my iPad doubles as an ebook reader and games.

Thanks again for suggesting things to bring!

Jen

poohj80
09-25-2010, 11:34 AM
For those who bring the over the door shoe organizer, which door do you hang it on? I was thinking the cabin door so it wouldn't get in the way in the bathrooms but not sure the door will close with the hooks.

Thanks!

truck1
09-25-2010, 11:44 AM
For those who bring the over the door shoe organizer, which door do you hang it on? I was thinking the cabin door so it wouldn't get in the way in the bathrooms but not sure the door will close with the hooks.

Thanks!

You can use it on either. Some will use it for the bathroom, especially if they have contact solutions, cleaners, hairsrays etc, that could take up most if not all of the counter space. Others will use it on the main cabin door, to store cameras, sunglasses, important paperwork etc. Others will use 2. 1 on each. Its all personal preference. They really dont take up much space.

Robin"D"
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Just wondering what kind of lock you use and what you lock it in. It's our first cruise and I am trying to decide if I should bring a lap top or not.

you can go to Bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+6.5'+Defcon+CL+Laptop+Cable+Lock/3738245.p?skuId=3738245&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx&cmp=RMX&id=1051384145329) or any other store that sells laptop accessories. If you look on the side and or back side or your laptop, you will see a keyhole type of hole, this is where the lock goes...

Hope this helps

STLUCIELADY
09-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Just got back from the 10 night Med cruise. Our in-room favorites are:

1. bottled water (empty bottles are great for refilling with any other drink you desire like the cucumber or lemon water in the rain forest room yuuummmmm!! Or even just a soft drink from the drink station. Makes it so portable.

2. travel power strip (folds up real small)

3. travel clock that illuminates

4. clothes pins that are clothes pins on one side and a hook on the other - great for keeping the curtains closed or hanging wet items. We brought 2 and that was fine for us.

5. Dawn or Palmolive dishwashing liquid. We brought 1.5 ozs for the 10 night and we used all of it. So many uses (spot treatment on clothes, clean shoes (some of the ports are very dirty), wash clothes or bathing suits in the sink etc) and it doesn't take up much room.

6. usb cords for charging everything and a dual usb wall plug. Saves an amazing amount of room.

7. small sensor night light. The rooms get amazingly dark and finding your way to the bathroom room can be an adventure.

8. post it notes, magnetic board to write on to leave notes and/or small magnets to post invitations, tickets, meetup etc

9. highlighters

10. some kind of decoration for the door (magnetic) or even just a bow, flag, balloon to hang on the fish holder outside the door. Makes it so easy to find your room and is just fun to come home to.

okay I mave two more. I just couldn't resist

11. dollar bills for when room service comes in the morning with coffee or late afternoon with a nice fruit and cheese platter. The same person almost always brings your food service if you tip in cash and they are always pleasant and much quicker about it.

12. ziploc bags. Keeps everything organized in a small space. Great for taking a few snacks on excursions with you. Or order room service the night before with sandwiches(dry, condiments on the side) and put in bags and store in the frig. Put the chips in ziplocs too. Add some cold bottled drinks from the frig to your bag and you can have a picnic anywhere especially if you are in a port where you have no interest in trying the local cuisine (or just don't trust the water or preparation).

STLUCIELADY
09-25-2010, 02:33 PM
We're going on our first cruise :sail: and my wife and I are searching the boards for tip and tricks. Thanks for the great suggestions. My wife just bought some travel space bags for the clothes, as we'll be flying in from CA. (Magic -12/4/10) 2 adults, 2 kids. A checked bag for each and a carry on. Hopefully we have enough room, as we love our electronic devices. :banana:

Steve
:cool2:
We found the coleman bags to be the best! I actually threw the real space bags out mid way through the trip. They just were not as good. We flew from Orlando to Barcelona and then took an easyjet to Paris and Disneyland Paris and back and then a 10 night Med cruise. We did it all with just one carry on each. We even put our handbags in the carryon so easyjet would not charge for the handbag. They are super cheap but really strict on luggage. We could not have possibly done 8 countries in Europe and formal clothes for the cruise with a carryon if we didn't use the coleman bags. They are AWESOME! :dance3: Have fun!

TraciM
09-25-2010, 05:24 PM
The little travel size shampoo bottles dont hold enough for me. So instead of the full size bottles i put the soaps in to .9oz water bottle which is bigger than travel bottle but not big and bulky either.

I always bring a bar of soap to use then I can leave it and not have to carry it home.

TraciM
09-25-2010, 05:32 PM
I would bring a highliter to markup my Navigator of the things I want to do. I do not like the idea of a board of the door to say where you are just for safety sake.
2. Febreeze
3. Singles (bills)
4. Wetnaps
5. Lintroller
6. Large baggies for wet clothing if they do not dry in time when you depart the ship
7. A night lite if needed for children
8. Purell - even though they have it all over the ship its nice to have it in the room as well
9. Small sandwich bags to take things off the boat while at port
10. Reusable water bottles

Hope this helps and have a Magical Cruise!

We had 2 boards (Target $1). One on the outside for the people we traveled with and one inside for the kids to write us messages. I did not want my kids putting out information for anyone to see.

Chicogirl
10-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Bump

poohj80
10-14-2010, 04:37 PM
We cruised last week and took the over the door shoe organizer for the first time - it was WONDERFUL! DD used the lowest pockets and we used the upper. It really helped declutter the cabin! We had some issues hanging over the door but were able to adjust to make it work.

mommy_grrl
10-14-2010, 07:03 PM
These are all great ideas!
Now - I just need family back home to go shopping for me - I have a hard time finding febreeze samples, and since I'm in the UK the air freshener plug ins and power strips won't work (and I"m not bringing converters.)

Miss that Downy wrinkle release!

papertraveller
10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I think we're converted -- next cruise, we'll take an over-the-door hanger.

As to the other tips, the best from our experience:

1) clock you can see at night
2) highlighter
3) drinks - whatever your preference, it's worth taking on board
4) money for room service tips
5) tide-to-go stick
6) sense of humour

Orlando Disney Guy
10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
For those of you interested, the trick for smuggling adult bevages on board: I drink a lot of bottled water at home/work. I save the bottles fill them with rum. When packing I find that they fit nicely inside my shoes. This does not take up any extra space and keeps your shoes from being bent up. I also take along a package of crystal light packets to mix in my drink!

I will never iron on a cruise ship again! No need too! Two words: SPRAY STARTCH! At night just before bed I will decide what I am wearing the next day lightly spray ithang it up and go to bed. Before I leave the cabin in the morning I will do the same thing to my dinner clothes! I have found this to be a HUGE time saver for me!

svjenkins
10-15-2010, 10:28 AM
bump

belle'ssister
10-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Most every "extra" that I bring on cruises has already been mentioned. My faves are:

power strip and/or extension cord
clear over the door shoe hanger
air freshener spray
hightlighter to mark Navigator activities
assorted size ziplock backs
decorations and dry erase board for door
$1 bills for room service tips

5boyz
10-17-2010, 10:58 PM
We too are a family of 4 and found that we really needed:

1. power strip - with all of the electronic gadgets we have this was an absolute need to recharge things!
2. over the door shoe organizer (esp. on 7 day - not so much on 4 day) - this helped keep things like sunblock, hairspray, medicines, deodorants, toothpaste & brushes, etc organized and off of the limited space on top of the sinks.
3. whiteboard - my oldest DS was able to come and go from Ocean Quest as he pleased and this helped us to inform him of where Mom and Dad were at any given time - also allowed him to leave us messages like "Mom - stopped by and you weren't here - gone to drink station to get a soda - be right back" :thumbsup2
4. Sunblock
5. Hairdryer - some will tell you that the one in the stateroom is fine - and for some it is - but I found that I really needed my "tornado" :lmao:
6. One of those pop-up type laundry hampers comes in handy when on a 7 day cruise - for the shorter cruises we just re-used plastic bags from the gift shops for our dirty laundry.

After that - things that aren't necessary - but we were happy to have (but we drove down to Port Canaveral which made this easy)
1. Beer
2. Wine
3. Bottled water

I can't think of anything else. :)

You can bring beer and wine on the ship?

wld4mky
10-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Yes you can:thumbsup2

5boyz
10-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Yes you can:thumbsup2

WOW!!! I did not know that!!!! So do you put it in your suitcase or what's the scoop? There is a fridge in the room, can you bring the beer cans out of the room with you......:confused3 LOL

DLBDS
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
WOW!!! I did not know that!!!! So do you put it in your suitcase or what's the scoop? There is a fridge in the room, can you bring the beer cans out of the room with you......:confused3 LOL

You have to take it on board in your carry-on bags. It can't be checked with your other luggage as it may break and ruin not only your luggage but other's as well. There's info on here somewhere....

5boyz
10-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I am so shocked that they let you bring on.....so like what a 12 of beer? 24? We are flying in from Buffalo, but renting a car so we can stop and get some for my dh. I dont care I drink coke. Just dont want to get in trouble on my first disney cruise.:worship:

DLBDS
10-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Found it. This comes straight from DCL.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/food-storage-containers/

"Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle. Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage."

5boyz
10-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Found it. This comes straight from DCL.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/food-storage-containers/

"Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle. Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage."

Thank you sooooo much!!!!

DLBDS
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Thank you sooooo much!!!!

:thumbsup2

Suz D
10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
=szubieta;35585331- magnets for door & walls

I didn't realize magnets would stick to the walls! I'd better order some more magnetic paper!!! Thanks for posting this.

Chicogirl
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Bump

tnshsms
12-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Bump

jgura
12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
A push button key chain flashlight for each of my kids. They keep this with them in bed in case they need to get up during the night. It is only on if they are holding down the button. A few dollars at Walmart.

szubieta
12-05-2010, 01:16 AM
I didn't realize magnets would stick to the walls! I'd better order some more magnetic paper!!! Thanks for posting this.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab243/szubieta/100_1216.jpg

This is from an RCL ship but all ships staterooms are a metal box. You can take a magnet hook and a hole punch for hanging papers or whatever too.

maminnie
12-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Here were some things I was glad I had:

Extension cord to use with my hair dryer and cooling iron at the chest of drawers/mirror in the cabin (outside the bathroom).

Last cruise I had the over the door organizer and I kind of liked it. I cut it down before I left as I didn't need all the compartments.

Soft sided small cooler for excursions. Sealed snacks and small bottles of water and juice boxes for taking off the ship for excursions. Opened food is not permitted off the ship when in port.

Envelope with tip money for room service. A robe for when they deliver my room service in the morning. Mornings with coffee on the balcony are my favorite!

Laundry bag to keep dirty laundry in one place.

Spray air freshener/disinfectant for bathroom.

Hooks with removable adhesive back to put up in bathroom (in tiled tub area) to hang wet bathing suits.

A fun cruise related welcome gift for each of my kids that I had sitting out the first morning of our cruise.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

BealsRwe
12-05-2010, 08:44 AM
1. Over the door shoe organizer (got this idea off the boards and used last week on my 12th DCL trip...will always pack this item everytime). We stayed in a standard inside, so this really provided a lot of extra storage and organization.

2. Dawn dish detergent scrubbing pads-dish detergent in the pad/sponge. I used more when DD was little and drinking from sippie cups, now I use to wash sovie drink cups from various port fun stops (Senor Frog yards, Margarittaville glasses). This also works great if any food is spilled on clothes. It works to remove the stain, especially any greasy ones.

3. Purex laundry soap, all-in-one sheets. Very small, but will take clothes from washer to dryer with detergent and fabric softener in them. Great to do mid week wash if needed.

4. Room spray (Lysol or other scented spray). I just bring a regular size and leave onboard. Great for freshening up the room.

5. Nightlight-this past cruise I took one of my Christmas Bath & Body Works Wallflower. The evergreen scent in our stateroom was wonderful.

6. Sunscreen, and an extra one!

7. I pack a small ziploc full of cough& cold medicine, Advil, Bactine, bandages, Tums, thermometer-our mini medicine kit. We leave in the suitcase, but we have it in case we need it.

8. Extra hangers-I like to hang most of my clothes, so we throw in 12+ wire dry cleaning hangers.

9. Downy wrinkle releaser-great to get some of the wrinkles out.

10. Power strip-allows us the ability to plug in all electronics, including a AA battery charger & extra AA batteries so our camera is always ready to go.

11. Clothes pins-makes hanging up wet swimsuits and workout clothes up much easier.

12. Bottled water for excursions.

13. A few boxes of wine-travel is easier, plus no need to pack a corkscrew. We also bring alcohol minis onboard to mix in with our free beverages up on deck 9. We get wine glasses from Promenade lounge.

14. Magnets and decorations for our stateroom door.

15. Pop-Up hamper for dirty clothes in the closet-keeps them organized and in one place.

16. My newest must-have...a small umbrella for a rainy day. DH and I walked in the rain last week to Margarittaville in Cozumel. A few small umbrellas would have made the walk nicer!

***One more thing, we always bring some of DD DCL friends back on board-Captain Mickey, Minnie, cruise Chip 'n Dale...this way we can have them out for her, and not have to buy again. Stateroom host usually has fun playing with the animals and DD loves to return to the room after dinner to see where her friends are.

Chicogirl
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
bump

schwabegooftroop
01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Hi
A great soap for sippies and bottles can be found in a camping store. Its called Camp Suds.
Its biodegredable, leaves no residue, and no taste. It can be found in a small travel bottle as it is made for backcountry camping. I always had it in the diaper bag as it came in handy at restaurants, etc for cleaning out sippies!
If no camp stores near you, try REI dot com.
Shine on,
~amy

irishgal_02
01-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I have seen several posts about bringing air fresheners for the bathroom. Do they have a constant smell or what? Or is it for after in house use? :rotfl2:Seems like DCL would have that under control. I am taking my first cruise in March, so, I am just curious and a little freaked out! Thanks!

szubieta
01-14-2011, 10:58 PM
I have seen several posts about bringing air fresheners for the bathroom. Do they have a constant smell or what? Or is it for after in house use? :rotfl2:Seems like DCL would have that under control. I am taking my first cruise in March, so, I am just curious and a little freaked out! Thanks!

Been on RCL & Princess. They have a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. They can smell funny sometimes so I travel with stick-ups for cruises and a can of orange peel spray...staterooms are a very small place to be after DH has used the bathroom. ;)

irishgal_02
01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

mommy_grrl
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=STLUCIELADY;38360678]Just got back from the 10 night Med cruise.

6. usb cords for charging everything and a dual usb wall plug. Saves an amazing amount of room.

First time I've heard the dual USB wall plug. I have one of those handy little guys that has 5 USB ports....
Thanks!

LoriABil
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM

We have used Febreze Set and Refresh at resorts/hotels before. They are sold in flat packages, so they are easier to pack than sprays, and less likely to burst. This is our first cruise, but I thought we would try one again. I wonder if they will sit on the back of the toilet like at hotels...

ibouncetoo
01-15-2011, 11:17 PM
We have used Febreze Set and Refresh at resorts/hotels before. They are sold in flat packages, so they are easier to pack than sprays, and less likely to burst. This is our first cruise, but I thought we would try one again. I wonder if they will sit on the back of the toilet like at hotels...

Oh, I think I'll look for these. You will probably need to place them on the corner shelf unit on the DCL ships.

Tink2300
01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
My biggest thing that I ALWAYS have to bring and highly recommend is (sorry if this has already been posted) - a bottle of hand soap! I don't know about you guys, but I hate using bar soap to wash my hands. I buy a bottle or two of hand soap (just the .99 bottles in the soap aisle of the grocery store) and put them out in the restroom and in the split bath by the other sink. I believe it is more sanitary and I just would rather wash my hands with hand soap! I don't open them before I leave but I still pack them in a gallon-sized ziploc bag just in case they were to come open somehow.

GreatWhiteNorth
01-16-2011, 01:04 AM
You have to take it on board in your carry-on bags. It can't be checked with your other luggage as it may break and ruin not only your luggage but other's as well. There's info on here somewhere....

Can you pack plastic bottles or wine boxes?

Loriekins
01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Many Thanks for all the great idea's and help for this first time cruiser! I packed many of the things listed on here & I would of never thought of most of them! :worship::worship:

jenmiller114
01-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I am glad to know I am not the only one who is completely ocd when it comes to packing. :) There are some great ideas here... thanks!

Jennifer

geekmommy
01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks so much for all the great tips! I'm a first-timer so I don't have specific tips yet, but there are two things I've been inspired to do after reading this thread:

1. Put a DIS box in the closet to collect all of these things before the trip.
2. Based on the coffee reports, we are bringing a press pot & coarsely-ground coffee. :cool2: Nescafe will turn me into a tea drinker in nothing flat.

sues14
01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
At some McDonalds, they have two-seater drink carriers that collapse flat. At Quick Trip (gas stations), they have four-seaters that collapse flat. Both are thin cardboard. They take up NO SPACE in your luggage, and are handy for a drink run for the family to bring soft drinks back to your cabin. Then they fold away and can slide most anywhere to keep them out of the way.

ibouncetoo
01-17-2011, 07:32 AM
At some McDonalds, they have two-seater drink carriers that collapse flat. At Quick Trip (gas stations), they have four-seaters that collapse flat. Both are thin cardboard. They take up NO SPACE in your luggage, and are handy for a drink run for the family to bring soft drinks back to your cabin. Then they fold away and can slide most anywhere to keep them out of the way.

EXCELLENT! :thumbsup2 I'll be cruising with 3 generations of family in November, and this will come in very handy. Especially once I've trained the 9 year old to fetch cola for Great Aunt Jackie! :lmao:

sues14
01-17-2011, 08:23 AM
EXCELLENT! :thumbsup2 I'll be cruising with 3 generations of family in November, and this will come in very handy. Especially once I've trained the 9 year old to fetch cola for Great Aunt Jackie! :lmao:

Nine-year-olds can be taught to do laundry also! I'm just sayin'!!! LOL :laundy:

drparoo
01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

This is genius.

drparoo
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks so much for all the great tips! I'm a first-timer so I don't have specific tips yet, but there are two things I've been inspired to do after reading this thread:

2. Based on the coffee reports, we are bringing a press pot & coarsely-ground coffee. :cool2: Nescafe will turn me into a tea drinker in nothing flat.

My husband asked what a box was behind our bedroom door. It has two shoe holders, a fish-extender and hooks for the tile in the bathroom. I just shrugged my shoulders. I couldn't admit I was already getting things for our cruise. :laughing:

ejkjmom
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Very Clever!!!! Would have never thought of that one:)

2 things that I did not see mentioned, that I think really help us out (family of 4)
is..... liquid hand soap (a lot less messier and easier than the bar soap) and also little disposable bathroom cups for brushing teeth...

Whatever is left of the soap, I just leave behind... either in the trash or I ask our Stateroom host if they would like it ;)

pamela k
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I have not had any problems taking adult beverages on board!! I have put them in a soft sided hand luggage bag :thumbsup2

geekmommy
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
My husband asked what a box was behind our bedroom door. It has two shoe holders, a fish-extender and hooks for the tile in the bathroom. I just shrugged my shoulders. I couldn't admit I was already getting things for our cruise. :laughing:

Mine is well-hidden. DH would start slipping psychiatrists' cards into my purse if he knew.

jamielynn
01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Mine is well-hidden. DH would start slipping psychiatrists' cards into my purse if he knew.

Mine gave up and has now started asking if i remembered "x,y,z" that was so convientant last time... :rotfl:

JSClemsonFan
01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
This thread has been so useful. We leave in 99 days and I already have this huge list...just from this thread. THANKS!!! :rotfl2: Like I don't have other things I should be doing right now...ha, ha!

I love the Ziplock bag suggestion, hand sanitizer, and zip ties. Those are things I would not have thought of on my own.

I'm also adding noise canceling headphones to the list for my son. We're on the Dream and he hates the noise from fireworks. :confused:

CWO4DVC
01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
We have a magnetic dry erase board that is about 9"x11". We put it on the cabin door to leave messages for each other as to where we are or what we are doing. sometimes other cruisers leave notes for us.

rcraw45425
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
subbing since we're first timers..........

my2mickeykids
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Anyone know where you can buy a small box of Purex all in one sheets? I found them at Target but only in a really large box. I don't need to bring them all with me but don't plan on using them at home so less than 20 or so would be great. Thanks!

jamielynn
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM

We just add to our pre-existing DIS box :rotfl2:

As for coffee... Cove Cafe is good too! :thumbsup2

rcraw45425
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Anyone know where you can buy a small box of Purex all in one sheets? I found them at Target but only in a really large box. I don't need to bring them all with me but don't plan on using them at home so less than 20 or so would be great. Thanks!

Just grabbed some today, two to a pack at Wal-Mart where the travel sized toiletries are. They're like $1 for the pack. FWIW, I also bought a box last summer and take it whenever we rent a condo or cabin. They actually work pretty good and I'm a Tide/Downy girl! They also have limited number of packs of the Shout wipes as well, stocked up on those, along with travel bottles of Febreze Gain fragrance and Downy wrinkle release.

my2mickeykids
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Just grabbed some today, two to a pack at Wal-Mart where the travel sized toiletries are. They're like $1 for the pack. FWIW, I also bought a box last summer and take it whenever we rent a condo or cabin. They actually work pretty good and I'm a Tide/Downy girl! They also have limited number of packs of the Shout wipes as well, stocked up on those, along with travel bottles of Febreze Gain fragrance and Downy wrinkle release.

Thank you! :thumbsup2

Chicogirl
02-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Bump

Loriekins
02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
this thread was very helpful to my husband & I when we were packing for our first cruise (1/29 Eastern).
Here's what suggestions we took that were very helpful for us:
Stock piling ones & fives for tips. I would not had enough on us, if not for this tip & we used them a lot for room service, tours, porters, etc.
Mini extension plug (4 outlets). Helpful to have things plugged in at one place.
Highlighter for Navigators. Even though we didn't do half the things on the Navigators it helped to point out the things we wanted to do.
Dry Erase board on stateroom door. Great to put notes for other family members & get notes from crew members. (Cars on $1 at Target)
Night light (from dollar store). Even though we had a Verandah room, made it easier to find the bathroom at night & keep little one not scared.
Reusable bottles with lids & straws. Came in handy for the refreshment station (just needed to fill with one of their paper cups) to take back to the room. Requested ice in our room.
Disney Gift Cards. Great idea to have Disney gift cards on our account to pay for things we wanted, excursions, tips, son, etc...

Things we took that wasn't helpful to us:
Over the door shoe holder. Too bulky & was plenty of room in the bathrooms & drawers near bathroom/closet. Will not take again & wish I could return.
Pirate items. Got a pic of my hubby & son in pirate stuff, but didn't really get into it or use it for pirate party. Not sure we'll bring it next cruise.

I know there are more items for both, but that's all I can think of now.

rachelm23
02-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Bump!
Thanks all for the great ideas..
would love to see more ideas for parents with kids under 5.
Would you bring a stroller for 3 yr old?

mattmommy
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I would bring a smaller collapsible stroller that reclines for the little one (better to have and not use it).

With all the great ideas try to think of what can make a one way trip and make your trip lighter.

For some it might be bringing a few highlighters that are on their way out, but still work.

I would bring snacks for the shows/movies. I live on the wonderful fresh fruit that's cut for us all day, but at the shows/movies they have snacks but they can run you a small fortune for a family. We packed bags of twizzlers, snack size chips, M&M's etc.

On our last trip we had one way socks/u/w/pj's and older sneakers that we needed for a rocky walking tour.

Michelle064
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Great ideas here. I'm just starting to pack for our very first cruise on the Magic on spring break. :banana::banana:

One thing I thought of that hasn't been mentioned is pre-printed mailing labels for postcards.

Sir William
02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Highlighter for Navigators. Even though we didn't do half the things on the Navigators it helped to point out the things we wanted to do.

Things we took that wasn't helpful to us:
Over the door shoe holder. Too bulky & was plenty of room in the bathrooms & drawers near bathroom/closet. Will not take again & wish I could return.

We took three different colored highlighters for DW and myself (one for each of us and one for joint activities) but found that one highlighter was quite adequate. Good idea though as it helped us quickly find what we wanted to do next during the day, and I may still take a different colored highlighter for everyone going on our next cruise in case we actually do need them.

We didn't take a shoe holder and never missed it. We had more than enough storage space for the two of us (in a 3 person room), including in the bathrooms. Plus, we tried to keep what we took to a minimum.

We did take a power strip which was useful, though we could have probably got by without it.

We used post-it notes instead of a dry erase board and they worked great.

We also took a nightlight (I always have one along when I travel anywhere) but stopped using it halfway through the cruise as the new Wave phones put out quite a bit of light.

We also brought a few per-packaged snacks (M&Ms, etc) which I used at the films (along with a soft-drink from the drink station), though for the shows I usually took in a glass of wine from a couple bottles we brought with us.

BlondeJungleBookFan
02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Pre-Printed address labels for sending postcards and postcard stamps

Extension cord

Ziplock bags - small to XXL
I pack socks, underwear, t-shirts in different ziplock bags. Once I'm in the room, I dump them in a drawer. Leaving the bag in the same drawer. as things get dirty, I put the dirty ones in the bag they came in. All I have to do at the end, is grab the bag and throw it in the suitcase.

I also use one to put my receipts in. So they are all in one place when checking out your account on the last day.

I use another one for little things I want to keep from the trip for the memory book.

Even though you can bring food on a plate from the buffet, sometimes I have a couple of ziplocks in my purse....great for a couple of cookies, etc....especially if you're not headed straight back to your room.

I always take a ziplock with a wet washcloth in it, when we go ashore.

Sometimes I put some small candy bars, gum, mints, in a ziplock with the tip I am giving the room service attendant. I make sure the dollar bills are showing so they know they are getting a tip.

Purex 3 n 1 laundry sheets

Travel size Room freshner. Or I sometimes take a regular size spray deodarant, and spray that in the bathroom if needed :eek:

Small ziplock with nail clippers, travel size polish remover, polish, nail file, few cotton balls, and a small pair of scissors. I put these inside a shoe to save space.

Travel mug and water bottle. Use their cups to pour into your bottles.
It's nice to have that full bottle/mug of diet coke, in your room to pour into your glass with ice...and not have to run up to the soda fountain when you're thirsty.

Loriekins
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Bump!

We don't have a child under 5 but the only advise I have for bringing a stroller is bring a small, light one. And only if you child will actually still use it (my son at that age would only be in one when we forced him). We saw a lot of people trying to maneuver the jogging strollers and larger strollers in very tight quarters. Kept seeing a lady with a jogging stroller running into tables (with people at the tables) and other people. We saw a people on ports with them also with toddlers/pre-schoolers.

jtw999
02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Great ideas!
I first read about the power bar suggestion here and now we bring one to every hotel we visit. My husband travels a bit for business and finds it especially useful!!
For myself, I love the ziplocks and shoe organizer. I always worry about the little things going missing and the shoe organizer contains them so tidily!!
Flashlights and binoculars were appreciated by the kids :)

Minniemiss
02-12-2011, 08:32 PM
We took three different colored highlighters for DW and myself (one for each of us and one for joint activities) but found that one highlighter was quite adequate. Good idea though as it helped us quickly find what we wanted to do next during the day, and I may still take a different colored highlighter for everyone going on our next cruise in case we actually do need them.

We bring a blue highlighter for DH and a yellow for me. Anything we want to do together becomes green.

poohj80
02-13-2011, 09:46 AM

Our DD has been cruising since just before her 3rd b-day and we never found we needed a stroller. She loved exploring the ship while walking as she liked to touch everything. Also, in a stroller, you would have to use the elevators every time you wanted to go up or down a deck and the elevators are not always the fastest. We found it much easier to just pop down the stairs when only going a flight or two (small flights).

We had never used a shoe organizer until we read about it here and now we won't cruise without it. DH is one to just drop things where ever he might be and then spend 30 mins trying to find it when he needed it. The desk was always cluttered with stuff that was just "dropped". The shoe organizer reduced the clutter and resulted in less time looking for things. Also, DD got into it and used the lower areas for her things liek crayons and toys which made me VERY happy.

sues14
02-19-2011, 03:09 AM
We packed way too much the first cruise we went on won't make that mistake again! The thing we miss and didn't think to remind our grown son was a belt and tie, he remembered shoes, pants and shirt though.

Dec6
02-20-2011, 10:40 AM
A plug in nightlight...keep it in the bathroom. The room is pitch black at night and u will need some settle lighting to get to the bathroom without banging your toe or tripping on something and waking up everyone else...

peloha86
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
:goodvibes
bump!

Dec6
02-21-2011, 09:46 PM
A small travel iron (they have one in the laundry room also)...and make sure u have cash for the stamps on castaway cay or nassau.

I always bring cash...the atm fee's are high, except in nassau, there are no atm fee's to take out cash...

Minniemiss
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
A small travel iron (they have one in the laundry room also)...and make sure u have cash for the stamps on castaway cay or nassau.

I always bring cash...the atm fee's are high, except in nassau, there are no atm fee's to take out cash...

Travel irons are not allowed. http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/electronic-devices-appliances/

Personal irons are not allowed in staterooms due to safety concerns. Irons are available for use in the laundry facilities.

TIGGERmetoo
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
hi...forgot what I was going to ask!

sues14
02-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Zip lock bags, the shoe holder over the door is great. Don't forget medicine it cost me $180 to get a $35 bottle of insulin in Mexico it was 35 per bottle I got two and the rest was a tip for the crew mate who was going into port so stopped to get the rx. If I had seen the ship dr it would cost me at least that much to see the dr and get an rx, we went the illegal way but it worked. I shouldn't say illegal as Mexico didn't require rx for this drug, A very expensive life lesson!!:banana::tinker:

heatherwillmom
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Zip lock bags, the shoe holder over the door is great. Don't forget medicine it cost me $180 to get a $35 bottle of insulin in Mexico it was 35 per bottle I got two and the rest was a tip for the crew mate who was going into port so stopped to get the rx. If I had seen the ship dr it would cost me at least that much to see the dr and get an rx, we went the illegal way but it worked. I shouldn't say illegal as Mexico didn't require rx for this drug, A very expensive life lesson!!:banana::tinker:

Remember enough insulin syringes if you're diabetic

shwarren70
02-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Hadn't thought of that, but that is an excellent idea...

FrostMommy
03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Bump!

If you just want it for excursions and such, I would skip it. We have used one of the ship's stroller and it worked great. They put around a 200 dollar charge on your account, which is credited once the stroller is returned. Our 2-year old was able to do all other walking (like the airport) just fine.

DisNeed
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Great thread.... subbing!

mnsweeps
03-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Hadn't thought of that, but that is an excellent idea...

what is this? can you link me to this item ?

kawigirl94
03-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Is it OK to bring a swiss army knife? You know the kind that have a cork screw for wine bottles and a bottle opener...of course there is a knife, scissors, etc. on it.

camikey
03-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Always bring flashlights...When I was in Hawaii the electricity went out on a big area on th island. It was our last night and after we finished packing we played hide n seek with MANY other hotel guests.:rotfl:

K80K
03-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Noticed mention of an iPod dock, light up alarm clock, and nighlights on the list of things to bring. The room we had on the Dream included an iPod dock alarm clock. The time was plenty bright and actually worked as a nightlight for the trip for us. In fact it was too bright and ended up getting turned to the wall during our trip so that everyone could sleep.

mommy2sixpumpkins
03-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all of the info! A lot of the stuff I would have never thought of!

Purdue Mouse
03-10-2011, 01:23 AM
To all you princesses of overplanning (and princes), I'm with you all the way:laundy:

All fabulous suggestions!
I'm wondering if hanging car airfreshers would be more convienient to pack than sprays, etc.
The Dream has IPod docking stations and luggage fits under the bed.
Mickey and Minnie window clings and magnetic door decorations made it fun.
Join your cruise meet group and do the FE thing.
pop up hamper is a must
binocculars - for sea surprises
lanyards and a watch
String backpacks for excursions (they take up no room and work well for bike rides on CC)
Theater candy for the kids to take to the movies

makaylee
03-10-2011, 04:31 AM

Irons are a BIG no no, but hand held steamers work pretty good. We always bring one.

YEWDVC
03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
We (DD38 and GodD 19) are first time cruisers. Thanks for all of the helpful tips.

Yvonne

gotdbltrbl
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Small journal and glue stick:

The last cruise (and this one coming in May) our children miss school. We bring a small journal so they can write down what they did each day, and a glue stick for little items that can be put in it. Airline stubs, stickers they have received and little notes from our cabin stewards (and at Disney Resorts) which they get a big kick out of. You can put them right in their journal and its ready to go back to school for the teacher to see. If I knew how to add pics I'd post some!

tastefullyjenn
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
My favorite tip from my last cruise was the Intuition Razors for the ladies. It has a solid shaving cream around the blade so no sep shaving cream necessary.

cph706
03-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Wanted to add that we brought a couple of things that we didn't need, because rooms on Dream are a little different....didn't use the bungee cord suggestion for our connecting rooms, they have little magnets to hold the door open. In our room we didn't use the extension cord, as there seem to be more plugs, though my DD used it in the kids' room for multiple iPods, curlers & laptops. Also, as stated, definitely didn't need nightlight, as there is now a light up clock & the Wave phones are really bright. We had to cover them! For a flashlight I just use my iPhone. Our old shoe hanger from Target fit perfectly on the bathroom door. Also--be sure to bring enough sunscreen! For our family of 4 we went through one spray bottle per day!

Cptjackandcrew
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
The Dream seemed to have less storage space, especially since there is no steamer trunk. After we got home I purchased a sweater/shirt closet hanging bag at IKEA for around $5.00. Target has them too. We'll bring that along next time.

MrsScooby
03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
I cruise often, although not on DCL.
If you are all staying together in your cabin (or even if you have connecting), one of MY top 10 is:

Over the door shoe hanger (clear).
You can put your brushes, sun tan lotion, medicines, toilitries, hair products, camera batteries, etc, ALL in the over the door hanger.
It makes the room much less cluttered and you can find everything.
I usually get connecting staterooms and my children also have one for their room.

Ditto, my DH says it is the best tip we ever got from the Dis:thumbsup2
Just makes it so much easier to find things as well, rather than searching through all the drawers.

DeeCee735
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
In the minority here.
Nothing.

Ditto, I'm bringing as little as possible. It's just me and DH :wizard: and the outlets/blow dryer/storage space, etc. will have to do. Don't imagine I'll be anything less than thrilled with the entire experience :cool1:

CopaDave
03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Irons are a BIG no no, but hand held steamers work pretty good. We always bring one.

When we came off the Disney Wonder in LA on March 20, we passed the Lost and Found table. Once you get your luggage and clear customs, you pass the table.

On it were probably 10-15 irons that had been confiscated at the start of the cruise and held until then. It was interesting. I imagine there were a few upset/irate passengers.

Chicogirl
04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Bump

oddman
04-09-2011, 11:40 PM

I strongly suggest you forget about the charges for you luggage, you are paying thousands for flights, thousands for the cruise and more...

whats another $100 for that extra bag.

dylan'smom
04-10-2011, 12:09 AM
....... Also, as stated, definitely didn't need nightlight, as there is now a light up clock & the Wave phones are really bright. We had to cover them! For a flashlight I just use my iPhone. Our old shoe hanger from Target fit perfectly on the bathroom door. Also--be sure to bring enough sunscreen! For our family of 4 we went through one spray bottle per day!

This one I'm not sure about...I was really missing my light-up clock on the Dream. We had the clock/ipad dock but it did not light up in the dark...maybe was defective...lol But I missed my light up clock that also serves as a night light, so will bring it next time.

I strongly suggest you forget about the charges for you luggage, you are paying thousands for flights, thousands for the cruise and more...
whats another $100 for that extra bag.

I actually just made this decision too...well, similar anyway...

we were going to take a taxi to make a "beverage" run at the port....then realized if we spend $35 on bringing another bag, we can stock it with better and cheaper things purchased at Costco & Trader Joe's, and bypass the whole trek in the cab. What were we thinking?!

:rotfl2:

DisneyCP2002
04-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Glad to have found this list. Will certainly be reading over it for my cruise next year.

CHOPR
04-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Great tips!
Question, I see alot of suggestions for walkie-talkies. The magic now has wave-phones right? And also do the rooms have an ipod dock?

Chicogirl
04-10-2011, 01:19 PM
This tread started before the wave phones came about, so walkie talkie not needed. As for iPod doc, so far only the dream has those.

barbeml
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Just booked our very first DCL for June 2012, and this thread is a HUGE help! Thanks to all who shared.

pooh_mania
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
We brought 6 suction cup hook things that worked great for hanging everyone's wash cloths up in the shower. We also used one to hold a small plastic hanger that we used for wet swim suits.

We also brought liquid soap for washing hands. So much easier than a slippery bar of soap for the kids.

Couldn't live without the over the door shoe holders or power strip.

CDX4
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Now if I could just get a volunteer to pack....:lmao:

rosiep
04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Noticed mention of an iPod dock, light up alarm clock, and nighlights on the list of things to bring. The room we had on the Dream included an iPod dock alarm clock. The time was plenty bright and actually worked as a nightlight for the trip for us. In fact it was too bright and ended up getting turned to the wall during our trip so that everyone could sleep.

I really hope they add these to the Wonder and Magic...they were great. :thumbsup2

TIGGERmetoo
04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I bring clothes pins to clip the swimsuits to the chairs on the verandah to dry.

Callieline.G
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
These are all great tips a lot of them for families more than a husband and wife but I'll remember them for the future. I am happy to be the next generation. =)

mominva
04-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Great tips! Any more?

dlander
04-24-2011, 12:56 AM
These lists make me want to start packing! I still have 2 months to go:rotfl2:

Along4theRide
04-24-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm loving all the ideas! I'm making a list right now! Keep them coming!

DoomBuggyHitchhiker
04-25-2011, 02:26 AM
I was on the Magic 7 night Eastern Caribbean April 9-16, 2011. There were absolutely no clocks in any of the staterooms. I was told by my stateroom host that since many of the propeller clocks were broken or unreliable, the decision was made to take them all out of every stateroom - the day we boarded in fact. He told me that they were getting new clocks like the ones on the Dream (with iPod docks) and that they had not arrived in time for our sailing. We were encouraged to use wake-up calls or tune the TV to a station that showed the time. I was glad that I brought a small battery operated alarm clock with me. I didn't hear much rumbling from others, but I was surprised that they chose to take out the old clocks before the new ones came in. Hopefully they have been put on board by now.

kcashner
04-25-2011, 02:42 AM

Ditto. We had 8:15 breakfast. At 8:00 they POUNDED on our door "just to make sure we were up." OK, it doesn't take me 15 minutes to walk to the restaurant!

However, I do find that my lighted alarm clock works best for me when I wake up in the middle of the night.

luv2boys
04-25-2011, 04:35 AM
subbing

2010Raptor
04-25-2011, 05:54 AM
I was on the Magic 7 night Eastern Caribbean April 9-16, 2011. There were absolutely no clocks in any of the staterooms. I was told by my stateroom host that since many of the propeller clocks were broken or unreliable, the decision was made to take them all out of every stateroom - the day we boarded in fact. He told me that they were getting new clocks like the ones on the Dream (with iPod docks) and that they had not arrived in time for our sailing. We were encouraged to use wake-up calls or tune the TV to a station that showed the time. I was glad that I brought a small battery operated alarm clock with me. I didn't hear much rumbling from others, but I was surprised that they chose to take out the old clocks before the new ones came in. Hopefully they have been put on board by now.

Aww, my husband loved those propeller clocks! :laughing: Anyone know if the new clocks are up and running yet?

2010Raptor
04-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Small journal and glue stick:

The last cruise (and this one coming in May) our children miss school. We bring a small journal so they can write down what they did each day, and a glue stick for little items that can be put in it. Airline stubs, stickers they have received and little notes from our cabin stewards (and at Disney Resorts) which they get a big kick out of. You can put them right in their journal and its ready to go back to school for the teacher to see. If I knew how to add pics I'd post some!

My second grader did this too, it was a request from her teacher as an "assignment" for missing school. I'm so glad she asked her to do it, because it turned out to be a great keepsake!

Stitchnut
04-25-2011, 10:51 AM
:thumbsup2 Thanks for all of the super tips and ideas. It took awhile to read them, but it was worth it. For the ladies, I take a cute headband with me so if I don't want to mess with my hair, I just use the headband!!!

Chicogirl
05-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Bump

Sir William
05-14-2011, 04:27 PM
These are all great tips a lot of them for families more than a husband and wife but I'll remember them for the future. I am happy to be the next generation. =)

We found that with just two adults in the room that we didn't need a lot of the things suggested on the list though I certainly and carefully considered all the suggestions. We had plenty of storage room, including shelf space in the bathroom.

The only things we took were a lighted alarm clock, clothespins for hanging up our swimsuits, highlighters for the Navigators (though, since we went most places together we usually only used one color), and a power strip. Made for a lot less to pack.

I always take a night light and small flashlight when I travel, but we ended up using the llight from the waves phones as a nightlight.

sandiegosusie
05-14-2011, 06:29 PM
1. I use a combo night-light, extra outlet and air freshener (plug in) all in one. It is made by Glade I think. Saves on room...

2. I also have to pack my LL Bean travel organizer. We use it for all paperwork insurance cards, AAA cards, phone numbers etc... and just tuck it into the safe. And this is where I store our travel flash drive with our tickets, ID's, CC's and info scanned.

3. Over the door...must have!

4. Magnetic clips go on our door. We clip notes, Navigators, tickets for events, like Tea with Alice. They work great.

5. Pop up laundry hamper and a laundry kit. Tide, Purex sheets, Downey wrinkle release, Shout stick and wipes and Downey sheets. All fits in a 2 gallon ziploc bag.

6. Med kit stored in clear cosmetic case which I found at Walmart: OTC meds, Rx's, mini first aid, and mini Swiss Army knife. We've used this each and every trip.

7. Mini Mag flashlight (stored in the above kit). My SIL and BIL were on the Carnival Splendor that caught fire. They used their flashlight everyday. We used it on our last trip to look into our daughter's sore throat.

8. Movie Candy. I make up bags with mini boxes of candy favorites, with a cute tag: Mickey's Movie Munchies! Nothing beats fries and a Mickey bar in the theatre though.

9. Jansport black mini backpack and regular size backpack for excursions. I hold the mini and DH holds the other.

Hope this helps!:surfweb:

lmhall2000
05-14-2011, 06:34 PM
We tend to be the 'bare necessities' type of people..here are ours

1. Hair blow dryer

2. Highlighters (so each kid can highlight navigator- we can figure out where they are..but the wave phones help a lot with that and we can figure out what we want to do as a family that day)

3. Pillowcases or frame for characters to sign...this is always a treat..don't forget the permanent markers or paint pens to let them sign with, I put them in a huge 2 gallon ziplock bag with our name on it.

4. chargers for phones/camera

5. dollar bills for tips for room service

6. pins for trading..haven't done this yet, but when we got back from this year's cruise we bought a bunch on ebay and plan to trade next cruise! :)

7. laundry bag to carry dirty laundry to the laundry room/laundry soap

8. magnetic memo board for the front door or bathroom door...just so we write notes to let each other know change of plans or such...also for fun little "encouragment" notes

9. stamps to mail post cards back to family/friends...address labels as well

10. Journals for all the kids to write in...they've had the same one for 7 years that they have taken on all family vacations..they only write in it while on vacation..they love looking back and seeing the memories! :)

HTH!
Tara

TIGGERmetoo
05-14-2011, 06:34 PM
1. I use a combo night-light, extra outlet and air freshener (plug in) all in one. It is made by Glade I think. Saves on room...

Hope this helps!:surfweb:

Fantastic idea!!!

sandiegosusie
05-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Fantastic idea!!!

;)

Faith&Hope
05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that the over-the-door plastic hangers don't fit on the Dream doors. :scared1: Can anyone back me up on that? I'm sure that every plastic hanger has different size hooks so it could just be that some of the metal hangers are skinnier than others. Although there's only 4 of us, we need to have this up. Both girls use different products in their hair and every little thing you take adds up!

Dream vs. Magic/Wonder......what's the counter space like?

Also, we take a pop-up hamper but when we head to the laundry room, we put it in our empty luggage (don't keep it in our luggage cuz' it would stink!) to roll it. We definitely outgrow the laundry hamper after a few days!

Faith&Hope
05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah......we don't do this on our cruises :):laundy: Thank goodness for dryers!!

poohj80
05-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Several folks have mentioned a laundry bag, but here's a tip...

There will be a cloth laundry DCL bag in your stateroom to use on board. There is a note which states if you would like to take it home, $5 will be added to your bill. I questioned when DH wanted to take it home last time, but it was the best $5 we ever spent. It is very sturdy and we have used it on every trip since. It now just stays in our suitcase.

marhs
05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Several folks have mentioned a laundry bag, but here's a tip...

There will be a cloth laundry DCL bag in your stateroom to use on board. There is a note which states if you would like to take it home, $5 will be added to your bill. I questioned when DH wanted to take it home last time, but it was the best $5 we ever spent. It is very sturdy and we have used it on every trip since. It now just stays in our suitcase.

Do they have these cloth laundry bags on the Dream? That would be a great idea. I'd spend the $5 to have it waiting for us and ready to fill to take home!