PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever asked to NOT be roomed near someone?

cruisekat
02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
This may sound terrible...but let's say, theoretically, that some people decided to 'join' in on your trip, unexpected and uninvited, and asked to be roomed next to you...but you didn't particularly want to be in such close proximity, knowing they are already going to be tagging along in the parks and upsetting the touring plans....how would Disney handle such a request? If one says 'put me close to them' and the other says 'don't put me close to them'...just theoretically;) Anyone ever had this experience??

Dreamer24
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't know what would happen if one requested to be next to and the other requested not.

For our wedding trip, my room was booked together with my immediate family members rooms. They requested that the other rooms be together. I called back and requested that my room with my husband be in a different area of the resort because 1) nobody wants to be in a room next to their family on their wedding night and 2) I would be getting ready in the morning in my mom's room and my husband in mine and I didn't want to accidentally see each other.

They put us in one building and the rest of my family all close together in another.

So if you request not to be, I think they do it but I'm not sure what would happen with conflicting requests! If you do end up next to them, you could tell your family there was something wrong with your room, and go back to the front desk to explain the situation and request a different room without the family knowing the true reason!

notaclue
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
If they check in before you then you could ask which room they are in and tell the cm when you check in that you want to be far away from their party. If you check in first, you may be doomed to their company. Or you could change resorts and accidentally forget to mention it to them.

santa's surpriz
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
No it does not sound terrrible! Honestly , I would book a different resort and say "Disney made a mistake, I'm sure glad I made a last minute call to reservations. Let's meet for dinner!"

Lynne M
02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
If I may ask, are they family, or just casual acquaintances (coworker/neighbor)?

cruisekat
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I absolutely love these boards...and all of you...I am really stressing about this and thought I'd really be flamed for asking this question, but you have all been so helpful with advice and reassuring! Thank you!!! We unfortunately will be checking in first I believe...so I am thinking about the resort switch idea??!!

mb_uh
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
I think that the hardest but best course of action would be to tell them how you feel. I would say- we booked this special family vacation at a large expense and we have specific plans for our time. We would like some privacy and would be willing to meet on certain days for meals or to ride certain rides but we were not planning a joint vacation. That way you do not blame it on disney and perhaps have them complain over what is your decision. Also while it will be uncorfortable to confront them it may save a very expensive vacation from becoming bitter because you were forced into something you did not want.

Good luck.

queenofmykingdom
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
This actually happened to us. We told the other party we cancelled, and we did. But then we rebooked for a different week, and "forgot" to tell them. Extreme, I know. But I did not want our vacation ruined. It would have been BAD. If it was just a matter of slight annoyance, I would call the resort and ask about your options. If they can't guarantee separation, I would switch resorts.

BLTLDZ
02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
No it does not sound terrrible! Honestly , I would book a different resort and say "Disney made a mistake, I'm sure glad I made a last minute call to reservations. Let's meet for dinner!"

Clever!! I like the way you think! :thumbsup2:rotfl2:

wendypooh
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Even if you check in first............ you can still tell the front desk the situation and "hopefully" - they'll put them far away from you. I agree with the OP's though.............. change resorts if you can - you can either say that Disney made a mistake or you got some extra pixie dust and got upgraded/moved!!

Good Luck

justamy27
02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Just wondering if you are booked at a preferred room or not? You could always upgrade to or downgrade from a preferred to get some seperation. Just a thought to keep you at POP since you booked there for a reason.:)

Booyakasha
02-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Like others said it is your vacation you HAVE to do something. If you absolutely do not want to tell them which I believe is your first and best option. You need to move resorts and not tell them. You can then make any "excuse" you want. Disney messed up, we preferred this resort etc. However, you need to be prepared for them to move with you when they find out. Unless you move to a place they can't afford. That is why I like the first option.

Honestly even if there room is not next to you but in the same resort you are still going to get, let's meet at the pool, the bus stop, for dinner in the lobby etc which could screw things up for you too.

B.

pigletto
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I would go the route of telling them as kindly as possible that this was an expensive trip and you don't necessarily want to be tied to plans together during family time.
If that isn't possible (i.e. they would be horribly offended) I would consider booking another week.

I save all year for this trip for my family and there is no way I would want to be annoyed the entire time during our vacation.
No flames to you at all... I understand how hard this would be.

cruisekat
02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
all very good thoughts...lots to ponder now...I truly appreciate all of your insights-- thank you thank you thank you!! I will have to figure out what to do soon as we leave in 25 days!! I can't let this vacation be ruined, and worst of all, its my birthday trip!!

luvbeinamom
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
This has happened to us. I was annoyed when they booked next to us (DH gave them our reservation #) but I decided to just go with it and not make a "scene" since it was already done. It was only 4 days and I thought it might be fine. It was NOT. I was miserable, so my husband was miserable too. ;) They wanted to do everything besides go to the bathroom with us and I wanted to crawl out of my skin.
We will do whatever we have to next time to make sure this does not happen again.

Good luck!

Bugsmom73
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Good luck.

veraletta
02-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes when I checked in the resort the cast member told me my brothers had third floor rooms and I asked if they had any on the 1st. floor, they said they had a room saved for me by them if I wanted it.
I said no thats okay I really want 1st floor even if I had to go to another building, which we did get a different area of the resort, I was happy and my brothers never knew!

sixcats
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Unless you want tagalongs every day I would switch resorts without letting them know. We finally learned to be a bit more forward so we can enjoy our family vacations more. If someone books at the same time without prior agreement, we set aside one dinner/evening ahead of time. The rest of the trip is off limits. The cell goes unanswered or kept in the room safe.

What amazed me the most is that the ones who tried to invade our trip would always add extras day on to their trip because they needed days to relax/tour on their own.

gailanncreates
02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I think you will find this is more common than you thought!:lmao: My in-laws trip overlapped with us, but they knew up front that I was in charge, and they could either take it or leave it. So sometimes they did what we did, and sometimes not. We were in the same resort, but we used different TA's and ressies were never tied together. So in same resort, different floors was just fine. Although I will say, four days was enough.:rolleyes1

tinka-belle
02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
It's not as unusual as you think!

I have clients that ask me for both options. Some want to be near family & friends, others don't. I frequently have to put requests on reservations for parties NOT to be near each other if they're booked at the same resort.

Funny, but I've had families book a different resort from the others too and just tell the other party they got an upgrade or a special deal or a windfall tax refund or a gift from grandma, etc. when all they really want is a little time for themselves. Of course when the other party calls me for the "special deal" too I have to tell them it's now sold out for their dates......:rolleyes1

cruisekat
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I had no idea this was such a 'common' occurance!! I was really feeling kind of bad and dumb and even selfish...thinking like one poster said, that I should just 'not make a scene' and go with it...but you are all right! Why should we allow ourselves to be miserable on OUR vacation? We planned it first, and really resent being invaded! I feel better knowing that others feel the same way!!

honeydiane1953
02-24-2010, 03:27 PM
No but I would most definitely if need be.

Jgetterman
02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Each family can also make their own ADR's that way you aren't obligated to eat with them. This will also let you have some alone time. Also, if you have an ADR for lunch in MK and the other couple has an ADR at MGM then you're more than likely not going to be with them.

Oh and even if you don't make an ADR, they don't have to know...

janloz
02-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I did exactly that when we went with my in-laws in Dec 08. I specifically asked that our room which connected to my mom's room were on the 4th floor and that in-laws be on the ground floor. We were staying at POP and while we were in the same building, we weren't "near" them. 8 days together was WAYYYY too much. We are going again in Sept and it is just DH, myself and kids for my bday. Going alone was the only bday present I asked for if you know what i mean. ;)

Just be sure to have any requests added to your reservation. Or better yet, change resorts. I wish we would have....

thwinters
02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I think this happens more often than people think. Our in-laws did this to us but luckily we were staying in a deluxe resort and they were not willing to fork out the extra money.

Baltazar
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Seems to me like you're giving control to them, just tell them you don't want to be near them.

Now that the "psychological mumbo jumbo" is out.

The passive aggressive in me says not to worry because telling them you want to be near or far from someone is merely a request.

Or it's like that saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer". You should have made the reservations for them that way you could say where they go ... :lmao:

[edit] Lets just say for example, you were staying at Pop Century. Tell them to request the 90s building because it's a quick dart across the lot to the bus. Then you turn around and request the 50s, opposite end of the resort.

Piglet4Ever
02-24-2010, 05:28 PM
When DH and I went to WDW with his family a couple yrs ago we were upfront before we left letting them know that he and I would be taking time for ourselves in the parks each day. We were happy to spend time with them and had a blast doing lots of fun stuff, but we made sure to do our own thing too. We did a few sit down meals together as a family and then the rest of the time we all did our own thing thing for meals and that worked our great for us. Do your vacation the way you planned it for yourselves!!

kaligal
02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Had to chuckle just reading the thread title. Been there, thought that!

I'm sure if you ask Disney not to, they'll try not to put those people near you.

Or you could go the, "Changed our mind at the last minute" route and switch hotels.

luvmyredheadboys
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Just be sure and don't tell them while they have time to change their resort too. I would do after getting to Florida I would be like "Hey look here at our paperwork it says we are at the ___resort I wonder how that happened? Oh well we wanted to try it out anyway!! We will have to drop by your resort sometime to check it out too." SEE YA!!! There are ways around it so nobody gets their feelings hurt and you still enjoy your trip. We had this happened to us also and everytime they wanted to meet up we were in a show or at the parade and then we would call them when we knew they were busy but we did try to meet up a couple of times for sake of being kind and it worked out OK. But if you tell them to soon they could just call and change resorts too. Hope everything works out for you:lovestruc

MrsLS
02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
How horrible! I agree with some, even if you aren't right next to them, they are still going to want to meet for breakfast, bus, whatever. You have to either tell them nicely, which I guess won't be easy since they are coming and you don't want them to tag along.
I you can't/don't then maybe be sneaky, it'll be mean but you might have to. Like get up earlier than them, leave and tell them you didn't want to wake them up or sleep late. Miss an ADR. Loose them in the crowd and "forget" your cell. If you are going to be miserable with them there then you have to do what's good for your family.
Good luck!

Zip-a-dee-dude-da
02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
To me if you don't have the guts to tell them how you feel than you should just suck it up. Never heard of such a ting playing games and switching resorts...if you gonna hurt someones feelings better to do it now before they are on Vacation. Dont ruin thier time by being rude in the happies place on earth.

disneymomma1978
02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
To me if you don't have the guts to tell them how you feel than you should just suck it up. Never heard of such a ting playing games and switching resorts...if you gonna hurt someones feelings better to do it now before they are on Vacation. Dont ruin thier time by being rude in the happies place on earth.

there was a nicer, more constructive way to say this but being rude is always the better way to go. :eek:

Nurse_Mommy4
02-24-2010, 08:15 PM

:rolleyes1

Someone always has to go there.

dreamer423
02-24-2010, 08:31 PM
not sure if other party are Disser's, but you've got your last name in your countdown:rolleyes1

design_mom
02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I am not sure, but... we traveled with my parents (separate reservations) and wanted to be assigned rooms near each other. One of the CMs said we'd *both* need to request to be near each other if we wanted it.

So if they requested to be near you, and you *didn't* request to be near them, I'm not sure Disney would honor it anyway.

LuluLovesDisney
02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Like a previous poster, I also requested that I be on a diff floor than the rest of my family on my wedding trip. I said it would be great if we were on the same side of the CR but I didn't want to be right next door. She said it was a common request from brides, no big deal.

I would guess that an "I don't want to be near someone" would override "I do want to be near someone" requests. However, I think that the best beginning for solving this problem starts now. DON'T plan jointly or act in a way that will make the other party think it is a joint venture. I would say things like "Maybe we will run into you" and "Maybe we'll meet for dinner" - things that will drop the hint that it is not a joint vacation.

If I were the "unwanted tourist" I would prefer someone drop "maybes" and let me down gently rather than someone saying "This is a private trip and we're not planning on spending time with you".

Another option is to mention that your husband planned some special "birthday" things for you, maybe that would help them to get the hint that it is not a joint venture.

There have been several times I went on vacation with friends and since most of us had SO's there, we all knew it wasn't going to be an all together all the time thing. All one of us had to say was "I have an ADR, I'll call you when we're done" and none of us were bothered. If we felt like meeting up, we'd call and if not, we'd just say, have fun, see you later. That way we all got to do the things we loved to do and we ended up meeting almost everyday for at least one fun thing, whether dinner, a swim or just talking in our rooms.

I hope that your "self invited fellow vacationer" can take a hint and you guys can find a balance so you can enjoy the trip yourselves, too!!

2Tiggies
02-25-2010, 01:07 PM
I had no idea this was such a 'common' occurance!! I was really feeling kind of bad and dumb and even selfish...thinking like one poster said, that I should just 'not make a scene' and go with it...but you are all right! Why should we allow ourselves to be miserable on OUR vacation? We planned it first, and really resent being invaded! I feel better knowing that others feel the same way!!

If you were feeling kind of bad, selfish etc, then I would take that as proof that you're not! Truly selfish people don't feel anything. YOu clearly do.

This is your family time. It is sometimes hard to tell the truth in situations like this and some family members/friends just never "get it" even when you do. This is YOUR trip and YOUR time and since is isn't exactly small change to go to WDW, it should be done YOUR way. (And you thought you were selfish? :lmao:) I have learnt: family comes first. That is the most unselfish approach you can have because it is the way priorites should be. Whatever you decide, I think you will have the full support of at least most of us! ;)

AJKMOM
02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
One suggestion is that you do not blame Disney for the room change. Otherwise, they might march down to the front desk and cause a scene?

I know plenty of people that I would be unhappy to find had planned a vacation when I did.

jackskellingtonsgirl
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I am kind of laughing.
We had someone request connecting rooms with us, without our knowledge! :scared1: We only found out about it later, when they were griping because they ended up WAY across the resort from us. But you know, room things are REQUESTS. They can't always honor every request, now can they?? :rolleyes1

Gabes_mommy
02-25-2010, 03:27 PM

I agree with the sentiment of this post. I think you should tell the other party ahead of time that you would like to have some private family time during your trip and would rather not be so close at the resort. I think they will accept that. They may be a little hurt, but I know I would be a lot more hurt if I arrived thinking I would be staying near another party only to learn that they had clearly not wanted that afterall but had not told me. I hope that makes sense.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to room near someone at all. I just think it's better to be honest and up-front about it. :goodvibes