PDA

View Full Version : Was 2009 the first time DCL offered military discounts?

bibbidibobbidibecky
02-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Just curious if DCL offering the military discounts is rare or if we will see more dates pop up this year, not just through May?

TIA!

smoof
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
There is no saying what will pop up. I will tell you we had a 4-day booked for July '09 at regular price for about 8-9 months, then I started hearing about the military discounts. They were only going through the end of June. A few days before the final payment, I looked, and the military discount went through September. We changed our reservation to a 7-day Eastern at that point. It ended up being a few dollars cheaper! Now, the other thing with it is, just because the military discount goes through a certain month, it doesn't mean every cruise is included. Although we wanted to upgrade to the 7-day, our initial 4-day was not included in the promotion. If I remember correctly, the departure date was just one day different.

kcashner
02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Military discounts have been around for years. There is no way to tell which cruises will have them available. A good TA will track this for you if you let them know you are interested.

Bottom line--if ships are filling at full fare, there will not be discounts. If the ships are not filling, there will be many special rates.

adrianna_sarah
02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Military discounts have been around for years. There is no way to tell which cruises will have them available. A good TA will track this for you if you let them know you are interested.

Bottom line--if ships are filling at full fare, there will not be discounts. If the ships are not filling, there will be many special rates.

Agreed. They seem to ebb and flow with the economy. Several years ago, they were offering 40%ish off discounts, then for awhile there were hardly any military discounts to be found. One of the Europe summer cruises is discounted about 60% off for military this year. WDW seems to do the same. They seem to start "Salute to the Heroes" type promos in down economy years.