PDA

View Full Version : Should we upgrade from standard to bunkbed at WL?

katebeth
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
We have booked a standard room (2 queen beds for 2 adults/2 kids) at the WL for our upcoming vacation in a couple of weeks. We have always stayed in a standard room at the WL and are familar with the space. This year we will have our newest addition with us, who will use a port-o-crib.

We are aware that the space will be tight, but I was wondering if the room configuration with the bunkbeds allows for any extra floor space for the port o crib? I know they are the same sqare footage, just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with it...I think it would be around $500 more for us to upgrade, so I am wondering if it would be worth it

Thanks for any help!!!:goodvibes

merri
02-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Hello! We stayed in a bunk bed room at WL in December. I have not seen the standard room so I am not sure about the comparison in floor space. However, I thought the room was a little crowded with the bunk bed. It is not up against the wall so it takes up just about as much room as another queen bed in my opinion. I will say our dd LOVED the bunk bed so we would do it again! Hope this helps. Have fun!

PixieTopaz
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
We love the bunks-our kids refuse to sleep in same bed-but agree-not much extra room.

chykov
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM
All of the rooms are the same size (except suites).

We were there a couple of weeks ago and loved the bunk beds (got an upgrade from standard, so that was great!). We used the space between the bunk beds and the wall to store our strollers when we were in the room.

I can't say for sure if you get any extra room (maybe a couple of square feet), but not enough to make a difference.

Our kids loved them and since I didn't have to sleep with either of them, I loved them too! I would recommend the Bunk Bed Woods view (we saw the fire works a couple of nights too!)

We put the pack and play next to the dresser (in front of the connecting door). It fit there nicely and didn't get in the way.

We loved this hotel and spoiled ourselves on our first trip to WDW! Don't know what we will do on our next trip (when we have to pay for the young one!).

Esmerelda
02-24-2010, 05:40 AM
When my boys were younger and we stayed at the WL, we always got bunk beds. These two are two big and too wild in their sleep to ever be in the same bed. Someone could end up with a black eye by morning.

The bunks are really great. :)

Have a fabulous trip...WL is all of my family's favorite of the deluxes.:thumbsup2

LilGMom
02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Since the bunkbeds have a smaller footprint than the second bed you will have a little more floor space, not a ton but it does make the room feel bigger.

pixarmom
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
We have 3 boys, and the WL bunk beds have been one of the highlights of our recent trips! We loved when Disney switched from just requesting bunk bed rooms to actually reserving them. We've now outgrown a bunk bed room at WL, because all our kids are 3 and over, so we're moving to BC. One of the first questions they asked about BC is whether it has bunk beds.

In answer to the space question, we have used a toddler-sized inflatable mattress (which is bigger than a port-a-crib) in the bunk bed room, and thought it was fine. We put it between the bed and the bunk bed. But at Disney, we don't spend much time in the room, so the space issue is not as important to us as it would be on other vacations.

So I'd highly recommend the bunk bed rooms!

justcantwait
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I didn't feel that there was much more room with the bunk beds. As PP stated, the bunk beds are not against the wall, so the edge of the bunk beds closest to the other bed is in the same spot a queen size bed would be, if that makes sense. All the room you gain by having the bunks instead of a queen is between the bed and the wall. So, yes, you could put the stroller there, maybe suitcases or other "stuff", but not the pack and play. It's up to you of course, but I wouldn't bother. HTH

Kathy

pooh2001
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Waht about bunkbeds and have your older child sleep on top (has rails) and your little one with bed rails on both sides on the lower bunkbed.

You could also move the chair by the window/sliding glass doors and fit a pack&play between the queen bed and the window/sliding glass doors.
If your other child need bed rails on both sides of the queen bed, you can request them from room service for free.

When our DS was 11 and DD was 8 - they loved he bunkbeds.

WL is such a nice resort. Ask to the the flag family one AM when you check in. You get to go to the roof at 7 AM and raise the flags.

The boat ride to and from MK is so realxing in the AM and on the way back to the resort. The CS has a nice selection of food and Whipering Canyon is a great place for lunch or dinner.

The gift shop has a nice selection of items to buy and a 'food shopping' area with snacks & drinks to bring back to your room. WL has sister DVC resort, so the gift shop stocks items for guests to use in their DVC kitchens.

The rooms were clean and tidy when we went in 2006 and we even got towel animals twice.

Enjoy !

michellerace
03-26-2010, 05:54 AM
hi did you get a free upgrade if so how

SFD998
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Although, we have stayed at WL we have never had bunk beds there. We have however had bunk beds at AKL (2006). My 2 boys loved it. Remebering what I can of the 2 rooms it definitely felt like more space with the bunk beds. I wish they were available in the DVC resorts. We were very lucky in that we were just given the upgraded room when we checked in.