PDA

View Full Version : Separating Park Tickets From KTTW Card

twenty3curls
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I've read numerous accounts on the Dis about people buying packages but having the park tickets separated from the room key. I want to know if anyone has done that recently?

We will be staying at the CR in mid-March on the Buy 4, Get 3 promotion. However, we have APs so we don't need to use our tickets on this trip. I had planned to have them separated from our room card and either save them for another trip or give them to my parents as a thank you present. (We'll be down there for my wedding). Based on accounts I read here, I thought this would be no problem. However, when I paid off the balance of my trip, the CM on the phone said it couldn't be done. After much back and forth and a conversation with her manager, she said it wasn't Disney's policy to separate tickets and room cards purchased in a package...however, our resort *may* do it. She made it sound like the resorts differed on this policy.

So now I'm wondering what the odds are that CR will separate our park tickets from our KTTW cards. Did I just get a misinformed CM? Has Disney's policy changed? Or, was it always a toss-up whether it'd be allowed?

Help! And, thanks in advance! :goodvibes

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I believe you can seperate them, so hopefully someone will be able to confirm that.

Claire&TheBoys
02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I think it *can* be done, but not everyone knows how to do it, so they say it's not possible. I have heard of the process messing up the dining credits, so it can be a lot of trouble to get sorted out. I figure, you can always ask. And ask someone else if the first answer is no!

I asked once to have our one-day tickets taken off our keys and was told it couldn't be done. I didn't press the issue and just made sure to use our APs instead of our room keys as the tickets. We later used the 1-day tickets with no problem.

ready2cmickeymouse
02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
We stayed @ Port Orleans French Quarter in December 2009. We requested at check-in to do this because we wanted to upgrade our tickets to an annual pass. The cast member refused to do this even though we explained why we wanted it done. He said we could do it at any park. Went to Epcot Guest Relations and they also refused to do it. I said we didn't have enough days addmission. They added a day on for us. We were told we couldn't upgrade to the AP until after we checked out of our resort. We ended up not going back and doing it because it was just too much of a hassle. I will only do room only now. No packages for us. You'd think Disney would want the extra money but I guess not.

brentalex
02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
If you are only interested in saving them for another trip, that is not an issue. If you don't use the tickets, they will be good forever. Just keep the room key cards and they will still be good the next time you go to Disney.

wdwnomad
02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
It can be done but finding the right CM who knows how to do it always a challenge. The concierge desk CM's are the only ones that I know of that can do this. Front Desk CM's and Guest Relations's CM's I don't think have the ability to do it. Finding a Concierge Desk CM that can do it is normally the challenge. Most say it can't be done. When they say that I just say thanks and move on. It isn't worth the hastle trying to get them to do it. I just try back when I get the time and eventually I get someone that knows how to do it.

I've gotten my tickets separated because I was on the dining plan and was using the tickets to upgrade/renew my AP. It was worth it to go through all of this because I did have one CM wipe out my dining credits once when doing the upgrade. However, if I was just saving the tickets for another trip I would just leave them on the room key. It isn't worth it to try and get it done. Maybe try it once and see if you get lucky (I did once!).

doconeill
02-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Agreed that the concierge desk CM is the person to talk to, but even they don't all know how to do it properly.

You generally don't want it done at a park if you have dining credits even if you find someone who would do it, as it could mess up your credits.

From Cheshire Figment's ticket sticky:

If you attempt to upgrade a KTTW to any sort of Annual Pass it may mess up your reservation and dining plan, if any. If you are planning to upgrade to an AP you have two choices. One is to wait until your last day and you have checked out of the Resort and used all your Dining Credits. The other is to have someone at either the Resort Front Desk or the Lobby Concierge remove your tickets from the KTTW and put them on separate cards; you can then have these separate cards upgraded with no problem.

TheRustyScupper
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
1) Separating tix from room key is really easy to do.
2) Any concierge desk can handle it for you.
3) But, why?
4) It means one extra thing to carry.

disneydaveb
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
We stayed @ Port Orleans French Quarter in December 2009. We requested at check-in to do this because we wanted to upgrade our tickets to an annual pass. The cast member refused to do this even though we explained why we wanted it done. He said we could do it at any park. Went to Epcot Guest Relations and they also refused to do it. I said we didn't have enough days addmission. They added a day on for us. We were told we couldn't upgrade to the AP until after we checked out of our resort. We ended up not going back and doing it because it was just too much of a hassle. I will only do room only now. No packages for us. You'd think Disney would want the extra money but I guess not.

That's funny. We stayed at POFQ in December 2009 and tried to do the same thing. They said they could not do it at the resort. We did get the tickets seperated at Epcot guest relations inside the park and upgraded to APs. It took a while as the CM was not very experienced with the process, but a manager helped her through it. However, as I was leaving the park, I realized that they did not bring the value of the PH passes up to current "gate value". I stopped at guest relations just outside the turnstiles and the issue was taken care of.

doconeill
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
1) Separating tix from room key is really easy to do.
2) Any concierge desk can handle it for you.
3) But, why?
4) It means one extra thing to carry.

1) You'd think
2) You'd think :)
3/4) Generally needed to do the AP upgrade, if you need AP features before you check out.

twenty3curls
02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it. :goodvibes We were hoping to upgrade, then give the tickets to my parents, so separating would prevent a logistical headache.

But, as I feared, it looks like I'm going to have to "get lucky" and talk to the right concierge CM at the right time. Gotta love the consistency!

CanadianGuy
02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
This isn't hard to do - except if you have the dining plan.

DEFINITELY have this done at your resort. If the CM seems unsure - ask for a manager. It can be done but if done wrong, it can mess up the dining credits.

wdwnomad
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
This isn't hard to do - except if you have the dining plan.

DEFINITELY have this done at your resort. If the CM seems unsure - ask for a manager. It can be done but if done wrong, it can mess up the dining credits.

Asking for a manager does no good. A couple of times when the front line CM's said it couldn't be done I asked are you sure because I've had it done before. Both times they went and got the manager who said then same thing. One went into this long explantion on how it is impossible and there was no way it could ever be done. I truly believed that the guy thought it was true but I told him one his CM's did one of my tickets the previous day. He didn't have a response to that. Another manager was trying to be helpful and she took my tickets to the back. A good 20 minutes later she came back and told me couldn't be done. However, she refunded the price of the tickets and put it as a credit on my room. I was a little mad she went and did that without asking me but at that point I had enough and didn't want to take any more time. I could use the room charge to purchase the AP's. Doing it her way though I wasn't able to get the difference in the gate price and the price I paid for the tickets. I wasn't going to argue over a couple of dollars.

So going forward if first CM knows what to do then great. If not, I move on and try another time. It isn't worth the hastle. The lack of consistency can be frustraighting. Plus, since they have my information, I am always worried they will look it up and see that someone else already did another one of the tickets. Then that CM who did it might get in trouble because maybe they really aren't supposed to do it. I hate going away with that feeling.

TillyMarigold
02-24-2010, 11:22 PM
We upgraded from a 10-day hopper (on our KTTW card) to APs at Animal Kingdom Guest Services on the 4th day of our 10-day stay; and it was absolutely no trouble at all except that the CM spelled my name wrong (a lot of people do) and had to re-print mine. She explained very clearly what she was doing, and she did exactly as is discussed elsewhere--separated the tickets from the KTTW, then upgraded the tickets. She even, without prompting, printed us out a record of what dining credits were left on our KTTW card so we could check to make sure nothing had gotten messed up (it hadn't).

I just wanted to offer a story that shows it *can* be done.

twenty3curls
02-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Has anyone had any luck separating the tickets from the KTTW card WITHOUT upgrading them? Are capable CMs less likely to want to help me, if I'm not upgrading tickets, just separating them?

enchantingodin
02-25-2010, 02:36 AM
I've done this 3 years in a row now. It CAN be done.

We're FLR's and have gone to FD the past 3 years. Reason we do it is to 'upgrade' the required one day package ticket to get the FLR prices. First time we got an awesome night manager at Music checking us in. Who not only offered to do it for us - but since it took him about a 1/2 hour added NE to our tickets for being so patient.

Second time was at HS in the afternoon. Had another awesome CM who had no problem understanding what I needed or wanted. Took her all of 15 minutes.

Although I will say last year when we went to GR at DTD the lady did give us a bunch of attitude. Said something to me like "We generally don't do this." Like I was 'bucking the system' or something. To which I replied "Oh yea? Why not?" She just kinda gave me that look. :laughing: I mean I'm sure it's a huge pain in the butt. But it IS their job right?

From my understanding (and I know for certain I will be corrected if I'm wrong ;)) they have to do it in several steps. Like first remove the ticket from the room key. Then do the upgrade. I think I've even read about those calling ahead and having the seperation done for them before check-in.

My advice to you would be to call CR directly and ask to speak to someone in the concierge. Tell them what you're doing and why. And ask if it can be done before your arrival. :thumbsup2

Disneymama5816
02-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Last Aug, we stayed at the CR and we were able to separate my children's tickets from their KTTW. They had APs and I was concerned that the tickets would get activated by accident. The CM who did this was very nice and knowlegeable. Good Luck!!!