PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Swan/Dolphin or CBR - party of 8 - help!

Caitsmama
02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Hi everyone! We are currently booked for a party of 8 (3 rooms) in November for TG week at CBR (stayed there last TG) with a bounceback rate.. However, my DH is a state employee, and we can get a decent rate at the Swan or Dolphin (Swan is a bit cheaper) -- now we are deciding if we should switch or not.. there is about a $400 difference (Cheaper at the Swan than the CBR!)

I know we can't use DME, but we can get a van from FL Tours for $124 for round trip - which includes a 30 min grocery store stop!! So, that's not bad.. :)

I have NEVER step foot in the Swan or Dolphin -- so, can someone help me with pros/cons of staying there vs the CBR? I know there are no "food courts" per say at the S/D - correct? But from the pics i see, it looks like they have something similar..

How are the pools at the S/D? Seems they each have their own lap pool, but share a common bigger pool - correct?

Any advice is welcome!! :thumbsup2

ElizabethB
02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
We've stayed at the Dolphin as well as at POR and CSR, but not CBR. I would definitely pick the Swan/Dolphin over any Disney moderate hotel. The Swan/Dolphin are deluxe hotels with great service and wonderful beds and bedding. There are tons of dining options at those hotels and nearby. You can walk or take a boat to Epcot and DHS. There is good bus service to MK and AK.

The grotto pool is second only to Stormalong Bay. The grotto pool features a slide and a waterfall. Many people staying at Swan/Dolphin are attending conventions -- and not using the pool. So it was never crowded.

The Dolphin has a burger/ice cream place that we like. It also has a cafeteria style place that would be comparable to an upscale food court. We love Shula's Steakhouse and Il Mulino for dinner.

The rooms have a large refrigerator (larger than the fridges at the moderates). They charge about $20 to empty it, but it was money well spent as we were able to store milk, juice, soda etc. We ate breakfast in our room.

The only disadvantage I can think of is you can't get the Disney Dining Plan if you stay at Swan/Dolphin. We don't care about that anyway. You do get Extra Magic Hours at the Swan/Dolphin.

Upshot -- I would choose the Swan/Dolphin over a Disney moderate any day. If I saved $400 as well, I'd be on the phone immediately!

I think the Dolphin has queen beds and the Swan has doubles, so check that and reserve accordingly.

suebedo
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
You may want to double check on the resort fees at the S/D. I think you also have to pay for parking.

My DH is a teacher and we can get a good rate at the S/S, BUT the daily resort fees and the parking fees ( if you are driving) really added up and it didn't really save us much money.

mster425
02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Ummm I am with PP- would have been on the phone already to make the switch! :goodvibes

The Grotto pool is awesome at the S/D, the food choices are great- since you aren't on the DDP so you can eat wherever you want. You can WALK to Epcot!! and DHS!! Woo!!

I would LOVE to stay at the S/D but it's cheaper for us to stay at the Beach Club this year.

tgropp
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
If you are an SPG member, ask for an upgrade when you check in. We always pay for a standard room and get upgraded, once to a balcony room on the Epcot side. And has been mentioned, the pool is awesome as well as the beach area for relaxing.

Caitsmama
02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys! We don't get the DDP, so i am not worried about that.. as far as extra resort fees, those were all factored in my $400 savings! :) We will not be driving at all, so parking $ isn't an issue either.
The one thing i don't understand, is what do you mean they charged you $20 to empty the fridge???

And, i signed up to be a SPG member, so i will ask about upgrades when we check in.. :) As for making the ressie now, well, there are 7 others who get a "vote", i am just the one doing the leg work on all of it.. LOL

ElizabethB
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Unlike at Disney resorts, the refrigerator is the room's minibar. To empty it all out of sodas, champagne, nuts, etc, the hotel charged $20. This was a couple of years ago. As I said, it was well worth it to have it emptied so we could store our drinks and food in it. We saved lots of money by having a breakfast of cereal, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee in the room. We also used the fridge (it really is a nice size) to store water bottles for the parks.

Parking is very inconvenient and expensive. But, that doesn't matter since you won't have a car. The rest of the resort charges are no big deal, IMO. We always pay for internet service anyway. And, I like getting a paper in the a.m.

wdwbride2005
02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I would definitely switch! You are getting a better rate, a better quality hotel, and a much better location. You can walk or take a boat to EPCOT and HS. You can walk around the lake and have a variety of dining options, as well as many great dining options in the Swolphin.

The one con is that some have said it does not have as much of a "disney" feel. I really do not like the CBR though and feel that a resort that has me in the middle of the magic (with being in walking distance of two parks) to have more of a disney feel than the overly spread out CBR.

diskids2
02-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Unlike at Disney resorts, the refrigerator is the room's minibar. To empty it all out of sodas, champagne, nuts, etc, the hotel charged $20. This was a couple of years ago. As I said, it was well worth it to have it emptied so we could store our drinks and food in it. We saved lots of money by having a breakfast of cereal, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee in the room. We also used the fridge (it really is a nice size) to store water bottles for the parks.

Parking is very inconvenient and expensive. But, that doesn't matter since you won't have a car. The rest of the resort charges are no big deal, IMO. We always pay for internet service anyway. And, I like getting a paper in the a.m.

I thought they changed this to refrigerators vs. minibars....but maybe I was just wishing that to be true ;) Can anyone clear this up for me?