PDA

View Full Version : Value vs. Moderate REsort? (Specifically, All Star Sports vs. Caribbean)

irdisney
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
We're getting ready to book our 7-day, 6 night trip to Disney World. THis ould be our 2nd time (first time was 2008) with 2 kids, 4 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl.

At first, I was thinking of just staying at a Value Resort and save the $300 for food money. We'll probably be spending most of our time at the parks.

BUt then I was thinking if we're going to the water park only once, it might be worth it to upgrade to the next level of resort like Caribbean. I'm thinking of CBR becasue it has a beach (by the way, can you actaully swim in the water or is the "beach" just for decoration)?

If we go Value, we're thikning of All Star Sports because I heard that's the first stop. My husabnd wants to stay at POP century. THat's where we stayed last time and it's ok but I thought our kids would enjoy the decor more in one of the All Stars.

Also, can you actually hop to the different resorts? I know you can dine in other resorts without being a resort guest but can you actaully use other amenities like pools in other resorts?

Hoping for some advise. I'm thinking of booking as early as possible this week. Thanks!

mickeyfreak13
02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
ok here is my $.02. The difference in value and moderate. ( I have stayed at ASM and PO Riverside. The ASM was with daughter @ 5 and 7 years of age. 2 trips) The boys will enjoy the atmosphere of AS Sports. Lots of bright colours and BIG cool stuff. But I personally would choose the Carribean...go with what your boys will be interested in.

As to the question of other resort amenities use...I do not believe that you can go to another resort and use the pool. Other cool things, rentals, food and such are use to pay for and get to use. :lmao:

I cannot speak to the Carribean as we have not stayed there...yet. I have heard good things of the resort. Check out the resort reviews and get a better view of things.

Good luck

Now back to the olympics :happytv:

aubriee
02-23-2010, 01:43 AM
(by the way, can you actaully swim in the water or is the "beach" just for decoration)?

Also, can you actually hop to the different resorts? I know you can dine in other resorts without being a resort guest but can you actaully use other amenities like pools in other resorts?

First off welcome to the DIS! Second, you sure picked a hot topic for your first post!:rotfl: You are welcome to go to another resort to explore, dine, rent watercraft, and shop, but the pools are for the exclusive use of the guests who are staying at that resort. There are signs stating this at the pools (something abut the pools being for the exclusive use of that particular resort's guests). The lifeguards do periodically check for room keys and you will be asked to leave if they find you are not staying at that resort. I know I've had room keys checked at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk and you must show your room key to even get into the gate at Storm Along Bay at the Beach Club. It's only fair to those that are spending more money for the nicer resorts, otherwise the nicer pools would be more crowded than they already are. The only exceptions are you can hop to pools of sister resorts. If you are staying at an All Star you can use the pools at the other two All Stars. If you are staying at POFQ you can use the pools at PORS. Otherwise you must use only the pools at your resort. Oh yes, one more exception is if you are DVC and staying on DVC points, you can hop to any pool except the ones at AKL or BC. Those three pools are off limits even to DVCers.

No, you can not swim in the lake and canals. There are signs telling people to stay out of the water. This is for two main reasons: #1 if there is a body of water, more than likely there is at least one alligator in it and #2 the lakes in Florida have an amoeba in them that can cause serious illness and usually death if you breath it in. There are usually stories every year of some kid doing this and subsequently dying down there (not necessarily at WDW, but somewhere in Florida in general). I forgot the name of the amoeba and the disease it causes, but if you do a search you will find it.

aubriee
02-23-2010, 01:56 AM
oops, I forgot to answer you main question. As you can see from my counters I am a fan of the moderates. I have stayed at all three levels and seem to have settled on the moderates as my resorts of choice.

The reasons I prefer the moderates are: larger rooms with ceiling fans, coffee pot, and refridgerators in the rooms, more landscaping (less concrete), dislike the over the top theming at the values, having a TS restaurant on grounds in case I am too tired to go out, nicer pools, pool slides, hot tubs, nice shady, covered bus stops with benches, and the moderates are usually quieter and more peaceful. Also the bus stops for the moderates are usually closer coming out of the parks at night. POFQ and PORS both have the boat to DTD, CSR has queen size beds and a health club/spa. POFQ is the smallest of any WDW resort, so no room is very far from the main building/bus stop.

As far as the values, I like AS Sports because it is the first bus stop, Pop is fun, but loud and very busy and frantic feeling. Of the values though I really prefer AS Music because it is usually quieter than the other values and they have the poolside movies and games that the other resorts don't.

Of the moderates I prefer CSR because they have the best bus service of any WDW I've ever stayed at. I've stayed there in Dec twice, as well as Sept and Oct and have never had to stand on a bus, unless I leave the parks late at night. I love PORS and POFQ for the boat to DTD. CBR is probably my least favorite moderate (even though I am going back there in Oct, just because I haven't stayed there in awhile:rotfl:). With the age of your kids I'd go either with CBR or CSR though. Your kids would love their pools and you'd love the relaxed laid back atmosphere of either resort.

Linda T.
02-23-2010, 06:58 AM
We have never stayed at a Value but we have stayed at CBR several times. My daughters and I love the beautiful tropical theming, the food court, the main pool, the ducks, the color scheme, etc. Any time I ask them where they want to stay, it is CBR. When the girls were little, we stayed at Martinique Village but now that they are older we stay in Jamaica. The buses have always worked out great for us too. Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.

MMrules
02-23-2010, 07:15 AM
I have never stayed at a value so I cannot speak about them, but will say I have no interest in staying at them (sorry, just not my style).

However, I have stayed at CBR 4 times and I love it!!!:) It is a beautiful resort with tropical landscaping and the beautiful lake. You cannot swim in it but you can hang out on the beach and the kids love playing in the sand. My boys are little (4, 2) but loved the pirate theme of the hotels pools and we stayed in the pirate rooms which was a huge hitpirate:.

There are several bus stops within the resort (the buses stop at each island) but that would be similar to staying at the all-stars in my opinion. I would suggest looking at photos of each resort and then deciding which would interest your family more.

I would also consider the water park fee. When I went years ago the waterparks were included with hoppers and are now extra. We haven't gone to them since you have to pay for the waterparks. IMHO, it takes away from the theme parks, and the caribbeans pools are quite nice to get swimming and water fun in. You may want to look at the cost of upgrading to a moderate and taking out the waterparks fee...it may be equal or close in cost.

Good luck choosing!!!:cool1:

TeriofTerror
02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I stayed in AS Sports once and swore "Never Again"! The mirrors were streaky, the toilet was rust-stained, the bed lines were scratchy, and the resort was packed. I'm not a food court fan, so dining options were nonexistent. I've stayed at all four moderates and love them. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Port Orleans-French Quarter -- my absolute favorite of the moderates. Its small size means everything is close by, and it has a fun Mardi Gras theme.
2. Port Orleans - Riverside -- Much better dining and entertainment options than you will ever find at a value, particularly the wonderful YeeHaw Bob!
3.Coronado Springs -- a beautiful resort with my favorite food court the Pepper Market, a definite step above the norm. The downside is that this resort has a large, confusing layout. It is also often filled with conventioneers, and they aren't necessarily in the Disney mindset.
4.Caribbean Beach -- I love to walk, but even I found the trek from our distant room to the main area to often not be worth my while. Fun theme, though!

Have fun, and I hope this helps!

KatMark
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
We have never stayed at the Caribbean; as two adults traveling alone now the theme of the rooms and the pool does not appeal to us. That being said, we would choose the Caribbean without even having stayed there over the All-Star Sports. We did the All-Star Sports for three nights and could NOT wait to get out of there and over to the Coronado. We found the All Star Sports to be very crowded, noisy, etc.--felt like people were on top of us no matter what part of the resort we were at. Our kids who were 10 and 12 at the time absolutely hated it (and did not enjoy the fact that there was no slide, etc., at the pool).

It really comes down to a matter of personal taste. We enjoy the more spread out resort where it never feels crowded and it is more peaceful.

Forever Fairy
03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I have stayed at the CBR multiple times and actually took my niece and nephew when they were just 7 & 4 respectively. They loved it. If you have little ones, it may be nicer to upgrade to the rooms by the food court - Martinique. You pay a little more but it made it so much nicer to be able to easily walk over and back. Each area has it's own "private" pool and then by the food court, there is a main pool that's bigger. You can also rent water boats or bikes to ride around the resort.

The only down side is it's a bus only resort. Which means that's the only way to get to any of the Parks, Water Parks or DTD. And I would also prefer it to the business of the All Star Resorts. It's a lot less noisy.

Mouse's Shadow
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
We did CBR when my kids were 9 and 11. We loved it. Even though it was a walk to the food court from our room, we didn't mind; the grounds are beautiful, and a few times we took the long way just for the views. Your kids will love the main pool. We were there for an October visit. The pool was almost empty, plus the quiet pool outside our room was perfect for a late night dip. It was a great way to end the day. We were so busy in the parks that we didn't take advantage of the other activities, but they looked fun.

It's Disney, so how can you go wrong with either choice!:goodvibes