PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Questions

ascardino
02-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Definitely decided to stay with the Dolphin over YC for long weekend w/o the kids.

I have stayed at the Swan several years ago but haven't stayed at the Dolphin.

Just wondering if anyone can give me info on:

*I booked a King - resort view room w/balcony. Does anyone have any pics and what will I see from my room? I have read a lot of the posts on S/D threads and have seen posts on water views and Epcot views but not resort views.

*It is ESPN weekend and I am wondering what the crowds will be like at the hotel or the general Epcot area because of that event. Will it be so crazy that I will be sorry that I didn't stick with YC?

*Should I make any special requests or just hope for the best on check in?

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

NMAmy
02-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Definitely decided to stay with the Dolphin over YC for long weekend w/o the kids.

*I booked a King - resort view room w/balcony. Does anyone have any pics and what will I see from my room? I have read a lot of the posts on S/D threads and have seen posts on water views and Epcot views but not resort views.

*It is ESPN weekend and I am wondering what the crowds will be like at the hotel or the general Epcot area because of that event. Will it be so crazy that I will be sorry that I didn't stick with YC?

Are you a Starwood Preferred Guest member? If so, you will usually get at least a view upgrade at check in. I always booked a standard view room and put in a request for an Epcot view on my reservation and mentioned it again at check in. If you're not a member, go to www.spg.com and you can enroll at no charge. I really like earning points for stays and in my experience, the front desk CM's are extremely friendly and helpful.

We've gone a couple of years at ESPN weekend and did not notice remarkably large crowds anywhere but at DHS when events were going on. One great thing, IMO, of the Dolphin being a convention hotel is that conventioneers are generally not competing for the same amenities as families. The buses and the pools weren't crowded but the bar was packed. ;)

Have a great time!

Needafix
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM

I don't think you'll regret your decision of Dolphin over YC at all. I've stayed at both and love them both, but would much prefer Dolphin, especially when i get their amazing discounts.

I'm sorry I don't have pics of my king, corner room with the most amazing views imaginable. I never wanted to leave the room. It was a free upgrade. They are wonderful at upgrading for free if there is an opportunity. I've been upgraded on all but one of my stays. I personally prefer the Dolphin over the Swan, only because I like the atmosphere better. In my opinion, if you liked the Swan, you'll LOVE Dolphin. Have a great trip.

Oh yeah - I've also been there during seriously busy times of the years and conventions and it never felt crazy or overly busy. I've always found S/D slightly more relaxing than many Disney resorts.

ascardino
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Are you a Starwood Preferred Guest member? If so, you will usually get at least a view upgrade at check in. I always booked a standard view room and put in a request for an Epcot view on my reservation and mentioned it again at check in. If you're not a member, go to www.spg.com and you can enroll at no charge. I really like earning points for stays and in my experience, the front desk CM's are extremely friendly and helpful.

We've gone a couple of years at ESPN weekend and did not notice remarkably large crowds anywhere but at DHS when events were going on. One great thing, IMO, of the Dolphin being a convention hotel is that conventioneers are generally not competing for the same amenities as families. The buses and the pools weren't crowded but the bar was packed. ;)

Have a great time!

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are SPG members and I have given the # when making my ressie. So, I still am not sure what the difference is between a standard view and a resort view is but maybe I will get lucky and get an Epcot view. We aren't considered platinum or gold members but hopefully we will get some type of upgrade.

I believe that I read that they have moved some of the ESPN activities from the BW over to WWS so hopefully, it will not be too chaotic. I just know that S/D were offering a great rate of $149 per night for ESPN weekend to the general public so I am thinking the hotel will be booked near capacity. I know that I was unable to get a king room at the Swan with a teacher's discount when I originally called.

Either way, really looking forward to this trip and from our experience at the Swan, I am sure the Dolphin will be at least as pleasurable. ;)

MrBelding
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Wild coincidence...We're heading down this weekend to celebrate out 13th anniversary (w/out the kids)as well. I booked under the Nurses discount and got $199 King w/balcony resort view.

I'm a little concerned about the weather, that is getting out of DC, hope you guys don't have any issues.

Have a great time

Paticake
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
We had the best view in room 8015 I think!

ascardino
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Wild coincidence...We're heading down this weekend to celebrate out 13th anniversary (w/out the kids)as well. I booked under the Nurses discount and got $199 King w/balcony resort view.

I'm a little concerned about the weather, that is getting out of DC, hope you guys don't have any issues.

Have a great time

You too! Maybe we should meet up to toast.

SingingMom
02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Check out our thread at:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2137287&goto=newpost

lots of great info from lovers of the Dolphin & Swan! :thumbsup2