PDA

View Full Version : When you call, do the cms ever get mad?

xoprincessmomxo
02-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, just called the 1407wdisney hotline to see if they could help me know what discounts are going on or if there were any for September. I knew it was a long shot, but was hoping for some general advice. Man, I guess I shouldn't have called. :headache:

When I asked if there were any promotions yet for September, the cm said:

"Well, it looks like you've all ready tried to call about 6 or 7 times and have gotten the same answer that you will get this time and that is no. There is nothing out for that time. Calling that many times will not help you get a discount, so there is really only one time to call and that is when you are ready to make an actual reservation."

I had to interrupt her scolding to let her know that this was my first time calling. I had not called the reservation system since my last trip in 2008. She proceeded to say:
"Well, I guess you haven't called. My mistake, but you have been on our website and have saved trips. 3 for September, 2 for August. Am I not correct? You've also been listening to the music and playing the games (which, yes, my children do. I thought that's what they were meant for?)

I told her that yes, that was true, I was still in the planning phase and just trying to figure out my options. She continued:

"Well, promotions like that only come out 3 to 4 months before hand and it would be wiser to simply check the websites instead of calling every day asking. (once again, to clarify, this was my first call!)"

Of course, being the pushover I am, I thanked her for her time and hung up, but I am crushed and feel really stupid for calling. Guess I'll stick to the website to make my reservations and not have to deal with cranky cms. I was shocked. In 2008 when I called, they were always so kind. She just made me feel like an idiot. :sad2:

marcielm
02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
:scared1:
You should have hung around on the phone for the survey. That would've really made her day. ;)
I did have one that was very short & rude with me the other day, stating that my client's PIN wasn't for the dates they were traveling. She really didn't even try to look it up. I called back today, got a different CM, and was able to apply said PIN for a $300 savings for my client. He was VERY helpful.

xoprincessmomxo
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
:scared1:
You should have hung around on the phone for the survey. That would've really made her day. ;)
I did have one that was very short & rude with me the other day, stating that my client's PIN wasn't for the dates they were traveling. She really didn't even try to look it up. I called back today, got a different CM, and was able to apply said PIN for a $300 savings for my client. He was VERY helpful.

Man, I knew I should have stayed on the line! Darn it. I was just so embarassed I wanted to get off the phone before I started bawling, which I do when I'm frustrated. (a trait my DH hates!) Hopefully, there's enough good cm's I won't have to deal with her again. But, I don't plan on calling back untill a discount comes out online. I guess she got her point across. :headache:

DaisyD23
02-18-2010, 06:09 PM
wow! sorry to hear you were treated so poorly :( i hope i don't ever get that CM on the phone. :sad2:
so far all the CM's i've dealt with have been great and mostly very helpful. i'm sure they get lots of ppl calling looking to see if there are any discounts out for their travel dates and if any PINs are attached to their names, etc, however that doesn't give them the right to be completely rude to a potential guest.
hopefully if you decide to try another call you will get a more magical CM :wizard:

Halloweenqueen
02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I had a CM a couple of days ago who was clearly either still half asleep or ill. He practically dozed during my call and would clear his throat loudly, mumbling under his breath. He seemed very impatient with me.

I hung on the line to do the survey, but he did not disconnect. I'm sure that most CMs know about the survey. I think many just hang on the line until you get tired of waiting, so they avoid bad reviews.

I've seen more resports of rudeness or pushiness lately. Maybe the pay structure has changed. They seem more eager to get you to commit. Since it was clear there would be no sale the CM didn't want to waste her time with the OP.

Just a theory.

CoachBagFanatic
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Man, I knew I should have stayed on the line! Darn it. I was just so embarassed I wanted to get off the phone before I started bawling, which I do when I'm frustrated. (a trait my DH hates!) Hopefully, there's enough good cm's I won't have to deal with her again. But, I don't plan on calling back untill a discount comes out online. I guess she got her point across. :headache:

OP Sorry to hear that you did not get a magical CM. Here is the web site to answer any questions regarding your phone call. It will ask you for the approximate time of your call. They can then link it back to the CM that took your phone call. If you happen to remember the CM's name it would be helpful, if not you will be able to give a description of the conversation.

Also, when calling, before it starts to go into the automated thing, ask for an agent. It will bring you right there. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.disneysurvey.com/surveys/000401/default.htm

beautifultomorrow
02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow, that is terrible!! They should not be treating you that way!! Did you by any chance catch the person's name? I don't think that sort of treatment should not just be ignored. perhaps if they have all that info saved on you they can also look back and see what CM you talked to. It wouldn't hurt to mention how rudely you were treated if you do decide to call in the future. In my experience some CM are more magical than others but that sort of behavior is not acceptable!!

AJA
02-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Wow is all I can say! I would've asked to be transfered to a supervisor (also asked for her employee number to send a certified letter about her rude people skills.:sad2:)

Esmerelda
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I hope you caught their name, hung up then called right back. I would have asked for a supervisor.

Does the CM ever stop to think that BECAUSE you are checking on rates, surfing their website and downloading whatever that they are employed??? People can be so ridiculously stupid!:headache: (I think FL's unemployement rate is at about 10% right now)

I have worked in customer service for many years and this would not be acceptable to me whatsoever. ALWAYS get their name. I even repeat their name back to them just to make sure I caught it. ;)

I'm sorry you were treated this way. I wouldn't take that type of treatment lightly. I hope next time you call...it's a much nicer outcome.

Pink Mouse Ears
02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow!! I'm sorry they were so rude! And you shouldn't be embarassed (but I would have been too- and would have burst into tears too, haha.) I'm so sensitive to things like that.

We've never had a CM be so rude...and that is just ridiculous for her to point out how many times you've been on the site!! SO WHAT?! I go on there daily almost. Isn't that why they have a site? You had every right to call- sometimes CMs are able to find deals or change things for you so they work out better. She must have been having a bad day!

We have had more helpful CMs and less helpful CMs...hopefully you can call again and get someone more helpful!

mom of 3 blondes
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
WOW. I would have probably cried, to be honest.:sad2: That being said, is it not our Disney dollars paying for her job? I work in customer service and I truly believe, I am not getting paid to have a bad day. Do not let it ruin your day. There are always going to be cranky people out there and WE cannot control them.

saradela
02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, just called the 1407wdisney hotline to see if they could help me know what discounts are going on or if there were any for September. I knew it was a long shot, but was hoping for some general advice. Man, I guess I shouldn't have called. :headache:

"Well, it looks like you've all ready tried to call about 6 or 7 times and have gotten the same answer that you will get this time and that is no. There is nothing out for that time. Calling that many times will not help you get a discount, so there is really only one time to call and that is when you are ready to make an actual reservation."

I had to interrupt her scolding to let her know that this was my first time calling. I had not called the reservation system since my last trip in 2008. She proceeded to say:
"Well, I guess you haven't called. My mistake, but you have been on our website and have saved trips. 3 for September, 2 for August. Am I not correct? You've also been listening to the music and playing the games (which, yes, my children do. I thought that's what they were meant for?)

I told her that yes, that was true, I was still in the planning phase and just trying to figure out my options. She continued:

"Well, promotions like that only come out 3 to 4 months before hand and it would be wiser to simply check the websites instead of calling every day asking. (once again, to clarify, this was my first call!)"

Of course, being the pushover I am, I thanked her for her time and hung up, but I am crushed and feel really stupid for calling. Guess I'll stick to the website to make my reservations and not have to deal with cranky cms. I was shocked. In 2008 when I called, they were always so kind. She just made me feel like an idiot. :sad2:

Yo can call again, and ask to the CM, that you would like to suscribe a complaint against the CM that answer your previous call, the day and time you called. You see, every time you call, the person who answers has sign his or her name, Disney does that to have control over things that can happend like mistakes over ressies. I hope you get the discount you are looking for.:cutie:

MickeyMomOfThree
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
That is so awful!!!! I too go on the site all the time and when we start planning I amke several calls. (I prefer to book on the phone, I like the interaction with all the nice CMs.) :lmao: I never had a bad one, have had some amazing ones. I'd call right back Odds are you will never get the same one. PLUS, like PP said, you booking IS what pays their salaries, so they should thank you.

I agree, I'd have to file a complaint on this one. Just lousy. I have to ask when you hung up did she tell you to have a Magical Day?

a1tinkfans
02-18-2010, 09:06 PM

THAT was VERY Un-disney like IMHO! And I wish you had hung on for that ever present Survey :eek:
Sorry that it happened to you, but don't let that ONE awful person taint your trying for a discount ...:wizard:

xoprincessmomxo
02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your support. I didn't catch her name. I'm pretty sure she didn't tell me, but she spoke really fast so it might have slipped by. And no, she did not tell me to have a magical day. I'm not one to complain, but this was out of control. I would have been forking over quite a bit of money today as if she would have helped me out, I probably would have gone ahead and booked, hoping to get free dining added on later. Never a good idea to be mean to the people who are paying your salary! :rolleyes:

xoprincessmomxo
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
OP Sorry to hear that you did not get a magical CM. Here is the web site to answer any questions regarding your phone call. It will ask you for the approximate time of your call. They can then link it back to the CM that took your phone call. If you happen to remember the CM's name it would be helpful, if not you will be able to give a description of the conversation.

Also, when calling, before it starts to go into the automated thing, ask for an agent. It will bring you right there. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.disneysurvey.com/surveys/000401/default.htm

Thank you, I just filled it out.

aubriee
02-19-2010, 05:45 AM
I've only ever had one rude CM, but to be fair I was accidentally rude myself first. I called a couple of months ago to switch resorts. I was having a really hard time understanding the CM's English and had to keep asking her to repeat herself. Anyway, she put me on hold to do her thing and my mom walked into the room about that time. My mom asked me if I was still on the line with Disney and I told her yes, that it was taking longer than normal because I was having trouble understanding the CM. Wouldn't you know that the CM came back on line just in time to hear the last part. She got really mad and informed me that she spoke three languages and asked me how many I spoke. I apologized, but then afterwards was upset with myself for doing so. I swear it was just an innocent comment to my mom that I made when I thought I was on hold. I wasn't upset or anything about it. I just told her why it was taking so long to make the call, but the CM was really insulted that I was having trouble with her English and went off on me.:rolleyes1

Rootskate
02-19-2010, 05:54 AM
That is terrible. Don't let someone make you feel bad for researching your trip! :hug:

CoachBagFanatic
02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Thank you, I just filled it out.

You are welcome. Whether or not you were going to book at that moment or another time doesn't give someone the right to treat you so rudely. I have called many times to ask for information and have always had a pleasant conversation. I hope by you filing out the survery that it will get some results.:flower3:

DCbride
02-20-2010, 09:53 AM
That would definitely make me feel sad too. I have been booking online the past few trips. Last trip I used the AP site to book 2 rooms, and I did it incorrectly. So I had to call and the CM was llike - "duh you can't book 2 rooms online using AP" which set me off at first. But by the end of the 40 minute call he was very helpful.

I am trying to plan for summer and save 1-2 trips per week trying to figure out what we want to do. So I am sure to hear it if I get your CM :rotfl2:

robinb
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Of course she should not have been rude to you for asking about a future discount (even though we all know the DIS is the best source for discounts ;)) However, I have to say that I am more concerned about the amount of information she had at her finger tips than the scolding! The fact that she knew about your saved trips and who ofter your kids have played games and music is downright scary :scared1:!

dfarner
02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I had a very rude cast member last summer. I am always going back and forth about resorts, changing reservations, etc, and I had called several times to ask questions. I don't remember the entire conversation, but she said something very close to what that CM said to you (about me calling numerous times) and her tone and words were enough to make me cry. She made me feel terrible.

RD-SOX
02-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I spoke to a rude CM back on Feb 14th. I got off the phone and complained to my DH when he interrupted me and said "call back". So I did and I was so happy when I did...

I don't know if you can ask for a CM but my CM was named July, just like the month. She IS WONDERFUL. I wish I could find a way to thank her. She cared enough to ask about the kids what their favorite things are at WDW. I even saved $400 off of my ressie because of a PIN I had, the first CM told me I couldn't use it.

July was the BEST!!! Our July vaction will be wonderful thanks to the CM July!!!!!:banana:

CoachBagFanatic
02-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I spoke to a rude CM back on Feb 14th. I got off the phone and complained to my DH when he interrupted me and said "call back". So I did and I was so happy when I did...

I don't know if you can ask for a CM but my CM was named July, just like the month. She IS WONDERFUL. I wish I could find a way to thank her. She cared enough to ask about the kids what their favorite things are at WDW. I even saved $400 off of my ressie because of a PIN I had, the first CM told me I couldn't use it.

July was the BEST!!! Our July vaction will be wonderful thanks to the CM July!!!!!:banana:

How ironic, Your CM was named July and your vacation is in July. I really don't think that we can request a certain CM again but I have spoken to one CM Danielle Grace three times. She was really wonderful as well. We are also going in July too.:woohoo: Have a great trip.

RMulieri
02-20-2010, 10:47 AM
HOLY HELL! I would have stopped her mid-rant and asked for her superior .What a nasty grouch

momof3lovebugs
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Of course she should not have been rude to you for asking about a future discount (even though we all know the DIS is the best source for discounts ;)) However, I have to say that I am more concerned about the amount of information she had at her finger tips than the scolding! The fact that she knew about your saved trips and who ofter your kids have played games and music is downright scary :scared1:!
This was actually what made me irate. That is really downright shocking and scary that they have that much info at their access. :scared1: Why? What right is it of theirs how much research I do and whether my kids play their games? What relevance is that to the conversation? :confused3 I would be definitely filing a complaint. That is just flat out unacceptable. :sick:

DisGirl23
02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
I can honestly say that I've never had one rude CM when I call! In fact, when I called last April to book our fall trip, I was on the phone with Maxwell for over an hour! He started out being so helpful when I couldn't get my debit card to go through online. He was able to get it to go through in 3 smaller payments. He tried again to get us a room at our original choice (Pop), with no luck but, the persistence was appreciated. Suggested restaurants for DBFs first trip. He told me about how he used to work at Universal Studios on the night shift and parking his car (a classic I can't remember) in front of Mel's Diner and taking photos... he was the greatest!
And everyone after that was great! From making payments, ADRs, even when I was there booking the bounceback (don't remember her name but, she kept asking what else we had done so far and what else we had planned).
I'm sure there are some crabby CMs out there and sometimes it's just a bad day for all of us... I'm sorry you had to deal with one of them. Definitely takes some of the magic away.

kaytieeldr
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't know if you can ask for a CM but my CM was named July, just like the month. She IS WONDERFUL. I wish I could find a way to thank her.Sure there is.
Go to the survey linked on the first page of this thread.
or
Call back and ask for a supervisor. Get names. Commend 'your' CM, providing details.
or
Write to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com with, again, as much detail and as praisingly as you wish.

Rylee
02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
When I call, I always have a pen and paper to write down prices, confirmation numbers, etc., and the first thing I write down is their name! (And it is almost always two names together, like... Billy Jean, Susan Lee, etc., possibly to differentiate between same first name CM's.)

One time when trying to make a LeCellier reservation, after asking her to check a couple of times on a certain date, I started to ask her to check a different date, and she cut me off, saying, "That is one of our most popular restaurant, I doubt you'll get in," as if to discourage me from having her check other dates and times. Now, I just do it myself, online.

momof3lovebugs
02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
When I call, I always have a pen and paper to write down prices, confirmation numbers, etc., and the first thing I write down is their name! (And it is almost always two names together, like... Billy Jean, Susan Lee, etc., possibly to differentiate between same first name CM's.)

One time when trying to make a LeCellier reservation, after asking her to check a couple of times on a certain date, I started to ask her to check a different date, and she cut me off, saying, "That is one of our most popular restaurant, I doubt you'll get in," as if to discourage me from having her check other dates and times. Now, I just do it myself, online.How do you do it online?

Disneyadore
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Maybe this is why some CM are rude sometimes?

Disney call center employee: American visitors are “demanding, rude, nasty and foul-mouthed”

May 12, 2009

When it comes to this weekend’s Travel Troubleshooter column about a Disney vacation that lacked a little magic, there’s no middle ground. Either you side with the unhappy visitor whose monorail broke down and whose room wasn’t up to his standards, or you believe the real victim was the Mickey, who compensated the customer in the end.

Want proof? I have hundreds of e-mails.

But perhaps the most surprising reaction came from within Disney. Cast members (that’s what they call employees at Disney) decided to chime in with their customer experiences. The most memorable e-mail was from a call center worker who, for reasons that will soon become clear, wishes to remain anonymous.

My daily duties include taking calls from our guest at the 23+ resorts on property. As you can imagine we take over 16,000 calls on a daily basis, everything from extra towels to any complaint a guest can come up with.

Most complaints are real. Others are so far out there you shake your head and wonder what kind of upbringing this person had.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my job. But I could write a book about some of the things some people come up with. If it’s OK with you I would like to share a few.

I took a call from a guest a few months back who was staying at one of the resorts, and on this day we were having technical problems with the cable service across property and it was being tended to, this guest calls and I explain what’s going on and give him an ETA for the repair to which he responds — and I quote — “I did not spend $5,000 to come to WDW and not be able to watch cable TV.”

I can’t tell you how badly I bit my tongue, but if I could have I would have told him that he did indeed spend $5,000 to come to WDW and not watch cable TV; he spent it to be in the parks having fun with his family.

I have had a guest demand we credit her room account one full day because she had a light bulb burnt out in her bathroom and it was causing problems for her to put her make-up on.

I want to tell you that for the most part at least 90 percent of these calls have come from American tourist. They are demanding, rude, nasty and foul-mouthed people that think that because it’s Disney we will bend over for them and if we don’t, they want to report us to a manager.

Please people, get a life. Just like you, we are hard working people happy to have a job. And if we say sorry, we can’t accommodate you, that means we can’t. We are not taught to lie to the guest but you will each and every time ask for a manager who tells us what is and what isn’t possible.

The 10 percent that are English or from other countries are so pleasant and funny and don’t care what kind of room they have. I love those calls they make my day go faster and they make me smile.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some insight into the way American tourist are when they come to WDW. It’s never fun dealing with them because all they do is demand, demand, demand.

Have a magical day.

I have no reason to doubt that many of the folks who call the Disney complaint line are difficult. My question is: How did they get that way?

Were they always unmannerly? Or did the gradual degradation of the overall travel experience — for example, being treated like a number by their airline or being socked with surcharges when they rent a car — turn them into boorish ingrates?

People know that Disney cast members are held to a higher standard than many other travel industry employees. Does the knowledge that they’ll “bite their tongues” make them take certain liberties with the tone of their complaints?

Maybe this is as good a time as any to look inward and ask ourselves how we got here. Do American travelers act like spoiled children when they’re on the road?

If so, what do we do about it?

Link: http://www.elliott.org/blog/disney-call-center-employee-american-visitors-are-demanding-rude-nasty-and-foul-mouthed/

Rylee
02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
How do you do it online?

Are you asking how to make restaurant reservations online?

Go to the WDW site.
Click on PLAN or BOOK.
Find the restaurant you are interested in. (On the left of the page, you can narrow down the restaurants by location.)
One you find your restaurant, click on BOOK NOW, and fill in the information.

crushonmickey
02-22-2010, 03:24 PM
DisneyAdore - That is a very telling post. I don't understand why people have to be nasty when there is a little problem. It's vacation at the Happiest Place on Earth, for Pete's sake!

momof3lovebugs
02-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Are you asking how to make restaurant reservations online?

Go to the WDW site.
Click on PLAN or BOOK.
Find the restaurant you are interested in. (On the left of the page, you can narrow down the restaurants by location.)
One you find your restaurant, click on BOOK NOW, and fill in the information.
Yes! Thank you!! :goodvibes
And omgoodness to the post about U.S. tourists.....ick! :sick: I will be one of the first people to lodge a complaint when it is justified, however, a burnt out light bulb nor improperly functioning tv is not a justifiable complaint. My toilet overflowing its contents into the bathroom is a justifiable complaint. :sick: (and yes, not at disney but I did have that happen. gag! )

Disneyadore
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
DisneyAdore - That is a very telling post. I don't understand why people have to be nasty when there is a little problem. It's vacation at the Happiest Place on Earth, for Pete's sake!

It is always good to keep in mind that the people behind the phones are human beings that have feelings. It could be a mother that recently lost here baby or a son that just buried his dad.
They are no robots that can wave a magic wand and give in to all our demands.
And yes I can very well understand that after a few "customers" that curse on you they get irritated and frustrated.
May by we would even be worse who knows? :rotfl2: As long as we didn't walk there shoes its very hard to judge them.

MYD714
02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
I've only ever had one rude CM, but to be fair I was accidentally rude myself first. I called a couple of months ago to switch resorts. I was having a really hard time understanding the CM's English and had to keep asking her to repeat herself. Anyway, she put me on hold to do her thing and my mom walked into the room about that time. My mom asked me if I was still on the line with Disney and I told her yes, that it was taking longer than normal because I was having trouble understanding the CM. Wouldn't you know that the CM came back on line just in time to hear the last part. She got really mad and informed me that she spoke three languages and asked me how many I spoke. I apologized, but then afterwards was upset with myself for doing so. I swear it was just an innocent comment to my mom that I made when I thought I was on hold. I wasn't upset or anything about it. I just told her why it was taking so long to make the call, but the CM was really insulted that I was having trouble with her English and went off on me.:rolleyes1

I don't think you were being rude; you were stating a fact. It doesn't matter how many languages she spoke--she was hard to understand and that's all you stated. A fact is a fact, and she should've just accepted your apology--or even better, she should have just let it go in the first place.

MYD714
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Maybe this is why some CM are rude sometimes?

I want to tell you that for the most part at least 90 percent of these calls have come from American tourist. They are demanding, rude, nasty and foul-mouthed people that think that because it’s Disney we will bend over for them and if we don’t, they want to report us to a manager.

Please people, get a life. Just like you, we are hard working people happy to have a job. And if we say sorry, we can’t accommodate you, that means we can’t. We are not taught to lie to the guest but you will each and every time ask for a manager who tells us what is and what isn’t possible.

The 10 percent that are English or from other countries are so pleasant and funny and don’t care what kind of room they have. I love those calls they make my day go faster and they make me smile.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some insight into the way American tourist are when they come to WDW. It’s never fun dealing with them because all they do is demand, demand, demand.

/[/URL]

This is a ridiculous sweeping generalization about Americans. :mad:

Rylee
02-22-2010, 07:54 PM

I totally agree.

DaniB
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

That was my first thought! I wondered if anyone else was going to mention it.

I REALLY DO NOT like the idea that they have all that information at their fingertips... makes me feel very distrustful of WDW's reservation methods and how they distribute their pins...

Disneyadore
02-23-2010, 01:06 AM

Sorry but as far as I can read the article came from an American.:lmao:
(It was nothing I made up myself)
His name is Elliot. Maybe you could send him a mail with your concerns?

And just for laughs.

Steve P. May 14, 2009 at 8:53 am

Living in Central Florida, I’ve seen some of the tourists going to Walt Disney World. I just wanted to share a story of an experience I had while at Guest Relations at Animal Kingdom.

To preface this, there’s an attraction called “Kali River Rapids” or somesuch that basically is a water flume ride. There’s one part that has a forest on fire, to express the deforestation of parts of Asia. OK, preface over.

A woman who was obviously sunburned was in front of us with another female companion, loudly complaining to the cast member that the ride “burned them”. Listening to the story, she stated that she had rode the ride that morning (it was around 3pm when this occurred), and over the course of the day, her “burn” was slowly getting worse and worse, and this ruined her day. She demanded a free pass to another park (the park was scheduled to be open until 5pm), and a free ride back to her hotel on International Drive (meaning, not a Disney Hotel) because she felt she could not deal with bus transportation. The cast member apologized, offered to call paramedics or other staff to provide first aid and ice water to the woman who felt she was injured by the ride (and at this time also claiming heat stroke). Obviously not getting what she wanted, she huffed off proclaiming she would “never come to Disney again.”

It was a lot like the show “Airline”. All these folks declaring their detest for Southwest Airlines – but come on, how many are flying with them next week/month/vacation? In this case, either the woman was ignorant to the causes of sunburn (and this was June on a very sunny day with temps around 95 degrees), or she was a scammer. Sure, vacations can be ruined for a myriad of reasons, but playing the victim is a tired role indeed, especially when the aggrieved person is not taking an active role in obtaining a solution and/or taking responsibility of the problem itself.

It’s one thing to blame others for issues, but when the blame falls on yourself (and you’re still demanding/rude/angry), then that’s a serious personality issue. There are those, unfortunately, that feel that blame should be issued to others, and in some cases that is certainly justified. However, there are cases that there’s no one else to blame, and there’s absolutely no way to placate these people when they act out.

scottmel
02-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I thought this was kind of "big brother" like. I called WDW reservations the other night - to change the date on a package and while I was at it I lamented to the CM that I never get a pin. He responded that the only one out now was for free QS and based on my prior dining habits, that wouldn't suit me anyhow.

He knew every adr I made and cancelled, where we ate the last trip, what trips I saved - he even teased me saying "I see you priced out a value resort in with all those deluxes to see if that triggered a pin". I wasn't the least bit offended, it was very teasing nature - he was super. But he did say the amount of info he could see was amazing but all for marketing purposes. I then said "well no wonder I never get a pin, they figure if I stay at a deluxe club level, a pin won't do much for me but save me money, I won't be upspending to go anywhere else". He then said there are pins dedicated to rewarding loyal customers.

We ended the call with him assuring me Disney will have a new pin quite soon - it is in the works.....I am sur eI won't be getting it though!!!:rotfl2:

robinb
02-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I will be one of the first people to lodge a complaint when it is justified, however, a burnt out light bulb nor improperly functioning tv is not a justifiable complaint.Yes, a burned out light bulb or a broken TV is a justifiable complaint. I think that the person who wrote that piece was one of the people who picks up the "Operator" and "Front Desk" calls from the room phones and she is the correct person to complain to about minor problems. Should people get a refund for a burned out bulb or a non-functioning TV? I guess I would say that it depends. If the complaint was lodged and nothing was done for a couple of days then I would lean toward some kind of compensation. It can be annoying to make a complaint again and again and not have it fixed. In that case, the damages come from the lack of response and not the initial mechanical problem.

lilstint
02-23-2010, 09:14 AM

This has been a concern of mine for some time now, in fact, I posted a couple of years ago about Disney and privacy issues.

I was mistakedly given a sheet ( by a novice CM a checkin) a couple of years ago and I was astounded at the info they had on me. Stuff that should have been none of their concern.

I'm not trying to hide anything but I really want to know how they knew and why they even wanted to know that in 2006 some friends of ours booked a trip on the same dates as ours.

It clarified the mystery as to how I got a pin code with her name sent to my address a year later which truly baffled me at the time. It was an entirely different reservation...they booked through a travel agent and I booked online. Neither of us mentioned we were traveling together yet it was on there! It kind of freaked me out. :scared1:

Wenny
02-23-2010, 09:20 AM
What gets me is how they can know all of that - linking so much information together - yet they can't attach my ADRs to my resorts res in one clean spot online. :confused3

shinysparklybubbles
02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
. Anyway, she put me on hold to do her thing and my mom walked into the room about that time.

Never ever say anything while you are on hold, a lot of time you are on a listen in hold, where you can not hear them, but they can hear you!

CanadianGuy
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
What gets me is how they can know all of that - linking so much information together - yet they can't attach my ADRs to my resorts res in one clean spot online. :confused3

I know huh? They can have all that info.. but they can't do some of the most basic stuff.

Crazy.

tkrozel
02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow! Guess I never realized they had access to all that info!

robinb
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Wow! Guess I never realized they had access to all that info!
I didn't either. And I was just essentially called paranoid on another thread when I said I was uncomfortable showing Disney my DD's birth certificate for her "Give a Day, Get a Day" fastpass. Considering all the info that Disney keeps, I wouldn't be surprised it they take down the name of the doctor that delivered her!

Harmonysmomma
02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes. These past few weeks the cm's have been really terrible! (a lot, not all!) so i complained to a manager.

DisGirl23
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Very interesting... I would say cable and a burned out bulb is justifiable. Not worth a refund on a room. Especially if you're reasoning is because you couldn't put your make up on... if you tripped and fell in the dark and broke your arm... yes. Make up... no. I did however, crack up at the man saying he didn't spend $5000 to to come to WDW and not watch cable! :rotfl2:
I will agree though that we, as Americans, have become a little inconsiderate. We talk about it here all the time... line jumping, pushing, running people over with strollers. I've seen my share of snips in the World. We're a little self-centered at times. Especially at Disney. People act like they spent a fortune to be here and it's their vacation and no one else's vacation matters. It's sad. :sad2:

iwrbnd
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
These stories scare me, all of them!:scared1:

I have to say that I'm an American and I'm not rude or demanding! I try to be nice and considerate to those around me whether I'm at Walmart, work or Disney World!

The phrase my husband and I say to our kids all the time is "think of others". It's short and sweet and they're probably tired of it but it should never be forgotten! "THINK OF OTHERS!"

MYD714
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Sorry but as far as I can read the article came from an American.:lmao:
(It was nothing I made up myself)
His name is Elliot. Maybe you could send him a mail with your concerns?

And just for laughs.[/B]

:)
I don't think it matters where the author is from. It is still ridiculous, and it's still a sweeping generalization. People can't be painted with the same paintbrush...unless they're loud cheerleaders at a WDW resort, of course. :rotfl:

Seriously...I think it's silly to say that one group of people are inconsiderate and demanding. Some people are polite. Some people are rude. It's all in how they were raised and how they perceive themselves. It does not have anything to do with where they were raised. I've been many places and have encountered both ends of the manners spectrum--no matter where I have visited.

The whole Kali River Rapids complaint...:rotfl2: I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that she was wearing a tank top with no sunscreen.

Goldenbear6
02-24-2010, 07:44 AM
I have never had a CM get mad or impatient with me anytime that I called. I have had some that were new to the job, and had trouble answering the questions, but I just politely hung up the phone and called back. :thumbsup2

kparc
02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
When you call, do the cms ever get mad?

Not I. The friendliest folks I’ve talked to that were working phones have been the Disney people. Some really genuinely seem to like their job. I usually end my conversations when I know someone is working with, “Have a nice day when you get out of there.” I’ve had a CM laugh and say, “Oh no, this is fun – I make dreams come true.” princess: